Speaker 1: Already and this is this is the daily Art, This is the Daly ohs oh, now it makes sense.
Speaker 2: Good morning, and welcome to the Daily Os. It's Wednesday, the thirteenth of August.
Speaker 3: I'm Emma Gillespie, I'm Billy Fitzsimon's.
Speaker 2: High level officials from more than one hundred and seventy countries are in Switzerland right now to finalize the first legally binding treaty on plastics. Negotiations began in twenty twenty two when the United Nations Environment Assembly that's the world's highest decision making body on the environment, agreed on the need to address the environmental and health impacts of plastic pollution and waste.
Speaker 3: Since then, five negotiation sessions have failed to reach a consensus. This time, protesters outside the UN are calling for courage, not compromise, But with a record number of fossil fuel lobbyists attending the latest of talks in Geneva, there are concerns that global efforts could stall further. Doctor Nicholas Charters is a senior Research fellow with the University of Sydney's Faculty of Medicine and Health. As a leading authority on the health impacts of plastic pollution and microplastics. He's part of a group of experts who have made several recommendations for the un Plastics Treaty.
Speaker 1: The amount that's already in the environment, this is the really scary bit. We can't get it out. It's in everything, It's in every type of soil sentiment. You know. The particles are so small in the ocean, they're already in our body, and so that for me is probably the most concerning piece.
Speaker 2: Nick joins us for today's deep dive to unpack everything you need to know about these negotiations and the current state of play. Doctor Charters, Welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 1: Thanks Harymy.
Speaker 2: For people who are listening who might not have heard about this treaty at all, firstly, can you explain to us what it actually is and why it's being discussed right now?
Speaker 1: Sure? So, Back in twenty twenty two, the United Nation Member States adopted a resolution to negotiate the first international legal binding treaty to end plastic pollution. So this has been ongoing for the last three years. There has been a series of meetings to develop the language that we're going to the treaties. Though, what it will actually do and what the member states will have to commit to essentially, And one of the main sticking points or challenges with this is that the majority of member states are wanting to cap plastic production and they also want to end the use of non toxic chemicals in the production of plastics. Not many people realize that plastics are made from oil and gas, but they also have thousands of additive chemicals in them to essentially give them the characteristics the plastics have. And obviously there's lots of different types of plastics. And then there's a small coalition of fossil fuel producing, a petrochemical producing member states that are pushing back against this idea of capping plastic production and also cap in the use of these chemicals. And that's essentially because they want to see a focus on recycling and waste management so that they can continue to essentially produce and make plastic because it's such a huge revenue stream for them.
Speaker 2: I want to focus in a little bit on the problems that the treaty is trying to solve. You've touched on there, but how urgent is a treaty like this and can you tell us more about those problems?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean absolutely. I think most people would just know from their own experience in their lived environment that plastic's becoming more and more of an issue. And I think in Australia we have always thought we live in such a pristine, an amazing environment, and we certainly still do. But I mean you only need to take a walk on a beach, or look at the streets, or just look at your own house and look at how any plastic products are now in that environment. They're abiquitous and there everywhere, and these are the ones that we can see. So I'm talking about like the larger sized pieces of plastic just to give you an understanding of how big the problem is. We make about four hundred and ninety million metric tons of plastic a year, and so of like, well what does that look like. Well, it's doubled since two thousand and eight. And if you think it looks bad now, only if you think the beaches in the water from your own experience looks polluted. It's going to triple in the next thirty years. So we're in a triple plastic production in the next thirty years. Based on the projections that have been made on how the oil and gas industry are going to essentially use plastics as an new revenue stree. So as the world starts to transition away from energy and transport for a primary source of oil and gas, about fifty percent of oil and gas will be used by twenty sixty for making plastics. So it's going to become an even bigger shuit of what we're currently experiencing. What I mentioned before about the plastics that you can see, I mean, that's one thing, and so we think about plastics often, and we've drown up thinking about plastics as these larger pieces of over material that we can pick up, put in and recycling bin and essentially just happens and we get new products made from them. And that's what we've been told. It's a story, a narrative. It's shaped by the fossil fuel industry back in the seventies and eighties that we can recycle our way out of this problem. About eight nine percent globally. Different averages, different estimates have been put forward, but that's the ballpark number for how much plastic we recycle, eight to nine percent globally each year. And there's about one percent of plastic that gets recycled twice in its lifetime. So the idea that we can actually recycle plastic is a fallacy, and there's a lot of health issues with that concept as well. So when we're thinking about plastic that we can see, obviously it's a huge issue based on what we really know, but another really concerned anything of these tiny particles that we can't see, not its microplastics.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people would be really surprised to hear the scale of plastics production that it's doubled since two thousand and eight, because you know, socially, culturally, we've become so much more aware of plastics use. I'd say in our data day lives, we're more conscious about the plastic we use. Where is all of that manufacturing coming from and what's it going towards?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good question. So over fifty percent is single year still, so there's single use products are still made, including things like food packaging. And then there's this one of the second well I think it's the third largest is which most people often don't make the association is textiles. So anyone out there that wears athleisure, where anyone that's wearing any type of spandex material you're pretty much wearing oil and gas. So polyester materials, polyethylene, they're essentially the materials are made from an oil and gas backbone. We still have a huge line in things like food manufacturing. This is a huge issue as well. So if you think about our food systems now, we're highly dependent on food packaging and obviously that's made from plastic. If you think about obviously coat bottles or soft drink bottles, you think about the level of consumption, there's still huge sources contributing to this. And one of the again the keys is, like I said, is that we often will purchase products that may have the recycling so we call them the chasing arrow symbols of the Three Arrows, and people look at it and it's a very clever bit of marketing. So people look at them and they go, oh, water relief, it's got that recycling logo on, and I can drink this without in the environment, and we're drinking and pop it in that bin over there and know that it's going to go back and be reused. And again that's a fallacy and one of the things people need to become aware of is that we can't, unfortunately, protect ourselves and the environment from the impacts of plastic through recycling, and that's because of the chemicals in them, and it's also because of the tiny fragments that break down from them over time. And we're learning more and more, but those signed fragments are getting into us and they bioaccumulating, So basically we can't get released little particles and we're getting more and more into our bodies.
Speaker 2: I want to talk a little more about the specifics of the treaty in a second, but before we get there, can you speak to me about the health impacts of these plastics, particularly microplastics. You know, as you mentioned, we do hear a lot about plastics polluting the oceans. We have that, you know, the pollution that we can see and the understanding of its place in the environment. But what health risks does all of this pose to the average person?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, thinking about plastic kicks of two main constituents, which is the first one is the backbone. The polyme backbone is made from oil and gas, so essentially plastic is petrol. So not many people realize that. So the main part of the plastic material that you're holding a single use, single use plastics ninety act centum are made from oil and gas, but any type of plastic will have that type of petrol backbone essentially. And then there are all these additional additives I mentioned before included into the plastic to give it its characteristic depending on what it's trying to do. So things like PFAS, which has been in the media a lot lately, forever chemicals, ye, forever chemicals exactly. But another one which most people don't really know about, something called a phthalate, which is basically these classic chemicals that we know are endocrime disrupting chemicals, and what that means is they essentially alter our body's natural hormone system. So these chemicals are getting included into that oil and gas backbone that I mentioned before, with very little transparency on the reporting as well. So when these plastics are made, we often don't know what's in the plastic. But what we're now learning, which is probably the most concerning component of all this, is that the plastic particles are breaking down to these tiny fragments, to what we call a microplastic, which is essentially smaller than half a centimeter, but they can go right down to the size of something like a human blood cell or smaller than your human hair, so you wouldn't actually see these particles in the environment. So they're essentially every wedding, and so a lot of research in the last two to three years has come out looking at both how they accumulate in our bodies so they get in and they don't leave. But we've just done a review last year looking at what are the health effects of these microplastic particles. It's been tricky to study, so you know a lot of authoritative bodies around the world have to regulate chemicals using animal studies because that's all we have. And what we found across large number of animal studies were these really consistent effects in the respiratory, digestive and also reproductive system. So we saw the impact of fertility. We also saw that increase these biological markers in our body, things like chronic inflammation in both the lung and also in the column. So we saw these suspected links to these cancers. So we're starting to see more and more evidence coming out to show that yeah, once these things around our body, it makes sense they're oil and gas and these chemicals I mentioned before they're going to lead to a raft at health effects, which is the thing that is probably most concerning.
Speaker 2: When it comes to the treaty. I suppose there are so many facets that you have mentioned as concern areas, from transparency, through production to marketing. What are some of the big sticking points or the disagreements between countries in these negotiations, or between even kind trees versus health experts.
Speaker 1: Sure, I mean, if that's interesting point about countries birth health experts. At the moment, I think in Geneva, there's three hundred and thirty five last estimates industry lobbyists fossil fuel and chemical companies, and I think they're out numbering academics at five to one, or scientists at five to one, and you know, indigenous communities at ten to one. So yeah, these negotiations are flooded by the invested interests of these corporations that want to produce plastics. And the main sticking point very simply is that a number of fossil fuel producing countries is coalition of countries which now includes the United States. They do not want to cap plastics production very simply. You know, they don't want to stop extracting oil and gas out of the ground. But if we are going to be using it for energy and transport, the world starts transitioning regards to what the United States is currently doing, they need a new revenue stroom, and plastics is the obvious one because they can argue that we are relying on them in society and we have become but it doesn't mean they're essential. So the very simple takeaway at the moment is that they don't want to cap plastic, and over one hundred and ten nations at the moment do and that's essentially where the treaties still lie. Can we get agreement on.
Speaker 2: This if the influence of these manufacturers and lobbyists is so intense, Is there a middle ground? Is there a way to switch at scale for some change?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean this is the tricky part. So one of the I don't want to say critical flaws or flaws, but the actual rules of procedure and how the treaty is going to be finalized. There's been one of the main issues with it. Essentially, these countries are saying that it needs to be a consensus so everyone has the route and the draft rules of procedure actually allow for what they call a qualified majority voting when consensus fails. So, in other words, if you can't get consensus, can we get a majority of votes to essentially move the treaty language forward and start finalizing something that is legally binding. Because at the moment this is the fifth meeting, it was actually meant to be the final meaning back in November last year, and again language could not be finalized because there was a consensus. So what may happen here is that there is you know, this country is just won't agree to consensus and they are also with their recognize this idea of a qualified majority voting if it does take place. So what may need to happen is the countries that are say, look, we want to we want to come up with a global plan on how we redgise plastics. Is it they essentially develop it, and they're going to have to try to do that, you know, with those those countries removed from the process, because otherwise just nothing will take playing some fortunate we are just going to be in this essentially a whole wind pattern.
Speaker 2: What role is Australia playing in these negotiations? Are we leading or lagging with the pack? And how does that take into our own plastics manufacturing here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good question. I mean, Australia at the moment is in alignment with the idea that there needs to be reduction in plastic production. So in Australia is supporting this idea that we don't want, that we should be trying to catch to a sustainable level. It's a little bit vague in terms of I guess you know what our complete commitment is, and we certainly can still do a lot more back in Australia immediately as well. I mean, there's no reason why we don't immediately ban on essential plastics since you use plastics in Australia. There's lots we can do that current environment, which is important and we're not a huge global player. But I mean the fact that we are supporting a reduction in plastic I think is important.
Speaker 2: What are some of the key points that you think belong in a successful treaty? What would be your kind of priority areas for the most urgent things that if you could change tomorrow you would enact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the obvious one, as we've talked about, is capping. This keeps me up at night. Because I don't think people fully understand how much this is going to impact generations to come, particularly if you have children, which I do. Even if we start to cap plastics, and if we move towards reducing the volume, the amount that's already in the environment, this is the really scary but we can't get it out. It's in everything, It's in every type of soil sediment. The particles are so small in the ocean, they're already in our body, and so that for me, is probably the most concerning piece. But we do need to take action, and so capping is absolutely critical to this, and there's a need to look immediately at non essential materials. So just very simply what is not critical for society to function. A critical piece of material may be something like a medical device, but even still there may be alternative materials that could be used. The second thing is chemicals. You mentioned chemicals before. We already have a list of four thousand knowe toxic chemicals in plastics is about sixteen thousand that have been identified, and so we need to bound those immediately being used because once they're into the plastic, as I mentioned before, we can't recycle those plastics. If those toxic chemicals are in there or it's incredibly difficult to do that. So essentially, once they're put in, we know that they're going to end up in landfill. And there needs to be global implementation of databasic chemicals that are identified as toxic, similar to the stock Own convention where they just get banned, we can't use them. So that's the second thing when it's bound these toxic chemicals. A third thing is the transparency around it. It needs to be reporting. So when plastics are made, we need to know what's in them. Currently we have very little idea of how many added into these plastics. And then finally, how are we going to pay for all this and implement it? And this is critical, this is happening. This is an issue, a key issue with a lot of environmental catastrophes, similar to pafas, where we have manufacturers and producers of these chemicals and these environmental contaminants that essentially externalize the costs. So what do I mean by that is they can make it, they make it a very cheap price, and then they sell it. We consume it, but then we pay for the health implications, both human health and environmental and so we're burdened with the ongoing impact and costs of these products, even when we know that they're toxic low we do now at plastics, So it's critical. It's really critical that the implementation of a tree, but also just moving forward globally in terms of how we remediate and how we reduce the impact or repair the impact of these contaminants is that we put the burden back on the pluta. So the fossil full industry is the petrochemical companies and the plastic companies that are making these need to bear the costs for the impact that it calls into the environment. So capping plastic, removing toxic chemicals, increasing transparency on what's going into them, and making the pluters pay for this have been the four main things I'd want to see in this treet you.
Speaker 2: My last question for you, I think for individuals and as young people much of our audience are young Australians, it can feel a little bit hopeless or overwhelming when we consider these ongoing negotiations. You know, a bunch of faceless suits at a table overseas trying to determine ways around this. What can we do or can we do anything to actually make a difference beyond just recycling. As you've mentioned, that's its own flawed beast. What would your advice be.
Speaker 1: Put it on the ballot. We know that civil action and engagement around an issue can lead to change because there are a lot of community action groups out there at the moment on this, and also consumer action will lead to a lot of manufacturers changing. People can talk to their local members. We need to ensure that governments know that this is something that potentially could lead to their position in parliament changing. There is an opportunity for people to get around this as an idea and to get governments to start responding in a timely way, because if we wait thirty years and plastic production triples, the amount of plastic that's going to be in this world and this environment's going to be near and possible to remove. The idea is not to scare people. I think it's important for people to be aware of what's happening. It's a difficult concept to understand, and we've all been misinformed about recycling idea that we can take care of it through that process and we simply can't. But we can take action, and certainly I think people may informed. It's more important than you're not having that information to make your own decisions.
Speaker 2: Nick, thank you so much for your time, fascinating and terrifying, and we will keep an eye on all the developments out of these negotiations.
Speaker 3: Thanks you Ta, such a fascinating chat there. Thank you so much to doctor Nicholas Charters for that chat, and to Emma for doing that amazing interview. And thank you so much for listening to this episode of The Daily Os. We'll be back this evening with your evening headlines, but until then, have a great day.
Speaker 1: My name is Lily Madden and I'm a proud Adunda Bungelung Calcuttin woman from Gadighl country. The Daily Os acknowledges that this podcast is recorded on the lands of the Gadighl people and pays respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Straight Island and nations. We pay our respects to the first peoples of these countries, both past and present.