Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Outspoken. You're dose of the hottest influencer and pop culture news twice a week. I'm Sophie Torbert and I'm joined by my sisters and journalists Kate and Amy. On today's show, El Darby returns to social media following those racist tweets, Sammy Robinson's multi million dollar payday, and Sarah's day opens up about her body dysmorphia.
Speaker 2: Now, so before we get into it, I need to shame you because I received a very panicked call from you and Amy. You've just been on a five k walk and you lost your car keys during that walk, so you could not get home. Amy's keys were inside your car. What is going on with you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It wasn't my finest hour, But sadly, I'm quite known for doing Steve a chit like this. It always happens to me. Every time it happens, I text my boyfriend and say, why does this happen to me all of the time.
Speaker 2: I have to admit I did tell some of our mutual friends and most of their responses was that seems like a very so thing to do.
Speaker 1: It is Sophia is literally that person that will lose an important usb. You have lost house keys before, so it wasn't surprising when you turned to me and said, oh, I don't have my key. Well, it's the worst because sometimes I get you to hold stuff for me on a walk, because you're usually in your puffa jacket and I was wearing well, I thought I was wearing my Lorna Jane tights that don't have pockets, because usually I would put my key safely in my pocket. And you're really mad at me, Amy, and you're like, why don't you put it in your fucking pocket? And then I said, because these parts don't have any pockets, and then you're like, they do, look to your side, they do.
Speaker 2: So can I maybe purchase you a dog walking bag that you can put your keys in. I really need bags and phone because this just I couldn't believe when you said you just hold your key on your finger like what.
Speaker 1: She was hilarious because it got pretty desperate. So we retraced our steps for five k's and the sun was out, so I told Sophie's boyfriend to come and rescue us, and we told him to bring a coat hanger down because Sophie's car had previously been broken into it, so I felt like we might be able to get in through the window anyway. So we looked so Dodgy were standing down this street, and I need to set the scene. Sophie's wearing her white pajama top that she got from Gray Lines. It says hornbag on it. I actually I wore it to bed and I thought, oh, yeah, I just wore wear it on the walk this morning, and yeah, I didn't think i'd come into contact with so many people. And when the RAA guy came, I did have to chuck your jacket on, Amy because I thought, oh, this is a bit of a weird look. The most annoying thing was I could see my keys that I had left in your car, and I had a wet vacuum cleaner that I used for my end of lease clean in my own car that I needed to return. So I was absolutely fuming at you, and so Sophie's boyfriend and I were just ragging on her the whole time. I actually felt sorry for myself, but I just defending myself. Here was a complete accident. It's not like I'm maliciously you know. It was on this walk and threw the keys in the books call.
Speaker 2: Though, how did you not feel or hear the It's like a transponder key drop because it's not like it's just one single key. It's got you know, like the buttons and stuff on it that surely would have made a sound.
Speaker 1: I detached my normal keys, which have key rings and everything from it. It's quite a light key, so I don't know that. And that's the most annoying thing when you lose something and everyone's like, well, do you remember where you dropped it? And it's like, well, it wouldn't be lost if I remember where I dropped it, But it always is in the last place you look a me.
Speaker 2: Maybe you need a lanyard. Remember when they were in at high school used to have your locker keys on a lanyard.
Speaker 1: I'm not in your eight Kate. I don't think I'm going to start wearing a lanyard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but all that shit's coming back in maybe you should bring.
Speaker 1: It back to you. True.
Speaker 2: I never thought i'd say this, but the sky Wheatley Rat saga has continued this week, and for those listeners who are a bit squeamish, I'll just add a trigger warning here. You may want to fast forward, particularly if you are eating now as a refresher. Last week, Sky shared that she had taken a liking to a litter of baby rats that had been born in her pantry, so much so that she took them from the nest and filmed herself holding them, and subsequently the four baby rats were abandoned by their mother. Now, Sky was quite distraught by the incident and wanted to save the rats' lives. However, sadly, when she took them to an animal shelter, they had to be euthanized. Now, this week, things got even weirder when Sky's partner Lockie, shared that their son Forest was taking a dead rat to KINDI for show and tell.
Speaker 1: Now, the rat was in a plastic.
Speaker 2: Container which had screws in the lids so it couldn't be opened, and Lockee later shared a photo of Forest with a group of kids around him with the caption the rat was his success.
Speaker 1: What did you guys think about all of this? Well, the listener actually forwarded me the post, which was put up by Locke, Sky's partner, and I was in disbelief. It was so gross to see a little boy holding a fucking rat in a container, and he kept kind of turned owning the container around so you could just see the rat's body going around in circle. I just couldn't help but think how dangerous is this to send a dead rat to a school with children. I'd be so pissed off if I was one of the parents of the children in this class, and imagine the poor teacher.
Speaker 2: Well, particularly when obviously we're talking about germs. But secondly, there are a lot of kids that may not know about death. It's something that you know, you don't know what parents have discussed with their children, So it's pretty confronting to have a dead rat in a plastic container.
Speaker 1: Also, it might prompt children to.
Speaker 2: Go out and find dead animals and touch them, and you know, that's just it's just disgusting and a lot of it's quite dangerous.
Speaker 1: And as someone and as someone pointed out in our Facebook group, what if someone brought a dead cat to school, because they probably call the cops on it is it does it make it different that it's a rodent? I know this isn't supposed to be a funny matter, but does anyone else think that this was mother rat that yeah, actually.
Speaker 2: Had a Q and A going on on her? Page, and someone asked for an update the mother rat, and she said she will do one later. So if there is an update, we'll have to come back on the mics and discuss it. I think, because I feel like her announcement will be quite interesting.
Speaker 1: Surely that was Mamma rat. Surely there aren't more rats in this house.
Speaker 2: The thing is Sky was so distraught about having to euthanize the baby rats, and then they're kind of sort of making fun of this other rat that's dead and parading it around. It seems all very old.
Speaker 1: I did have to giggle when Lockie was like, he's long gone, mate, He's long gone. Have you ever heard of the bubonic plague? Manuel? It was very popular here at one time.
Speaker 3: A lot of pedigree hamsters came over on ships from Siberia. Hamster is not hamster. Hamsters are small and cuddly. Cuddle this. You'd never played the guitar again.
Speaker 2: Recently, we discussed how Sammy Robinson's fashion brand One Mile attracted mainstream media attention when at debooed at Australian Fashion Week. Now, most of the media commentary centered around the shift we've seen in the fashion landscape regarding influencers, and previously it was seen as pretty tacky to have influences in attendance at fashion Week, but now they're not only sitting front row, but actually putting on a successful runway show themselves. And one thing that was missing from the coverage though, was the information around one mile sales and revenue. And this week Sammy subtly gave us an insight into just how much one Mile has potentially made in the last two years. So can you talk us through what happened in this YouTube video?
Speaker 1: Well? In the latest video, Sammy took viewers behind the scenes of one miles debut at Fashion Week, and in the video, Sammy and her staff celebrated one Mile's second birthday with a cake and also a birthday card listing the milestones they have achieved as a brand now. Sammy showed the card to the camera, which read, today is our second birthday. So far, we have ninety two thousand followers, donated forty eight thousand dollars, made forty nine thousand orders, and sold eighty four thousand pieces in less than ten days. We were about to have our first debut fashion show when I saw that one Mile had sold over eighty four thousand pieces. I was so taken back because I suppose you never really truly know how successful these influencer brands are. Often you here that they've sold out, but you don't actually know how many units of clothing that was. And of course the fact that Sammy was showing her close at fashion Week meant that, yeah, it must be somewhat successful. The numbers really do help to put that success into perspective, and I did some calculations and one miles pieces are usually around seventy two, one hundred and fifty dollars, with the most expensive item being a trench coat for two hundred and eighty nine dollars. So to get an idea of one miles revenue, I multiplied the eighty four thousand sales by one hundred dollars for roughly each item, which equates to a whopping eight point four million dollars worth of sales for Sammy Gosh Well.
Speaker 2: The number really stood out to me because the figures were very similar to the sales of the Inspired Unemployed beer brand Better Beer. So, for those who missed it, last week, it was revealed that the brand had generated ten million dollars worth of sales since its launched six months ago. Now, I originally thought that Jack and Falcon had a one hundred percent steak in the brand, but that was pretty naive of me, because the boys were actually approached by Better Beer's founders, Nick Koger and Mighty Craft, and they were each offered a twenty percent steak in the company for their seal of approval, and the founders believed with the right marketing, their low carb zero sugar beer would be very popular in Australia. But I don't think even they anticipated just how popular it would be. With the Inspired unemployees backing, Better Beer is the fastest growing new beer brand launched in the last eight years, which is pretty incredible. It's pretty reminiscent of Abby Chatfield's success with Bush the sex toy Company, because they had the product already. They say that Abby obviously had a little bit to do.
Speaker 1: The design of it, but it's an example of brands that just grab these influences and make them the face of it and just do so well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and with this media coverage around the Inspired Unemployed Beer brand, it was almost like, wow, look at them, They're so successful. They've helped make ten million dollars worth of sales. But with Sammy, there was no mention with the coverage of one mile at Fashion Week how much money she had made. And I was wondering if that was something that was intentionally left out by her brand, because she was interviewed a lot, and I mean she subtly put in that she'd done eighty four thousand dollars worth of sales, but I was wondering would female audiences not like it if she went on and said, well, I've actually sold eight.
Speaker 1: Million dollars worth of clothes. I think maybe it was a conscious move not to actually say how much they'd made, because it's the same with Abby. We've never actually heard the figure that she made with her vibrators. Well, I think it's historically because money is seen as a taboo topic for women. So perhaps Sammy didn't want to outrightly say how much money the brand is making. And women are often taught from a young age that it's impolite to talk about money and to keep their finances private. So perhaps it's coming from that perspective. Because I even known business, I hate talking about figures and money can be a really uncomfortable topic.
Speaker 2: I do wonder if this whole approach to females and money has something to do with why there are so many question marks about how much influencers make because female influencers make up the majority when it comes to top earners, and I wonder if that's why the paychecks are so secret, because women don't want to come out and say, yeah, I'm actually earning this much money, whereas when you think about male entrepreneurs, they're constantly flashing their cash and talking about their massive paychecks and being really particular about this is how much.
Speaker 1: Well. I don't necessarily agree, I do see where you're coming from, but I think that there's more secretcy around what influence has earned because it is such a substantial figure and the work they're seeing isn't really something you have to invest a lot of time in, so people don't see it as being particularly difficult. I think also there's a lot of privacy, probably from the brands of people not wanting with the brands not wanting people to know how much they're investing in these people. When I saw that article about the Inspired Unemployed, I actually thought that that could potentially be damaging to their brand because they are seen as being incredibly relatable and that could damage the perception people have of them. Well, they recently addressed it in a podcast, not so much the money factor, but they were talking about how they'd been in a whole heap of meetings recently and they tried to make themselves sound relatable because they said, all these guys are talking figures and about marketing, about SEO, and they had no idea what they were talking about, and they had to take a few toilet breaks where they were like, what the fuck is going on. I also heard in another interview that Jack said that they actually reject ninety five percent of brand deals that come their way, and they only take on deals that are actually interested in the brand and like the brand.
Speaker 2: And I know there's a lot of influencers out there that say that, but when you have a look at who they've worked with, it has been pretty good brand alignment from their end. And do you know what I think is quite a gendered thing, because when I looked at her, I was like, Oh, good on him.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 2: They've made ten million dollars. But if I'm going to be completely honest, when I had calculated how much Sammy Robbins had had made. There was a bit of me that was like, oh, that's a lot of money and that's terrible that I but that was just my natural instinct, well away.
Speaker 1: From the whole gender thing. I think one of the reasons people probably feel differently about Sammy Robinson and the Inspired Unemployed is because Sammy comes from an incredibly privileged background. You just have to have a look at the house she grew up in. You know, she has this beautiful view of Sydney Harbor Bridge. Her family's obviously very very rich, and then you look at the inspired unemployed, who were former tradees and who really have come from nothing. I think that's why a lot of people have brought into the success story of the Inspired unemployed. But people also like to turn on those sort of people when they do well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that they at some stage will be hit by the tall poppy syndrome. In terms of comparing Sammy and then the Inspired unemploys content, though, I think it's because I really get a lot out of their content, like it's always very clever and funny. Whereas Sammy, we always joke about how she often chose just her stacking a dishwasher. I've got to say though, when I did watch her YouTube video about her brand launch, I felt like a proud mum watching it because she has really done amazing things with her brand, and I think that it's hard as a woman not to sit back and be a little bit jealous of it because I suppose, as you said, so, if she is in a privileged position, but we shouldn't take away her achievements just because of that. Do We've had a million follows like ten hours now do you feel any different? No any emails yet, Jimmy fallon Great Naun Show.
Speaker 1: Surely Ellen nothing? Why I come on back the dishwasher please?
Speaker 3: Oh for fuck?
Speaker 2: Say Corney Kardashian and Travis Barker's lavish wedding celebrations in Italy have been overshadowed by their dinner selection. Fans were left shocked after Kylie Jenna shared a video of what looked like bite sized portions of pasta. Now. It sent Twitter into a blaze. One person tweeted, the past a portion size at Courtney Kardashian's wedding is one of the saddest things I've ever seen. Another wrote, that's how much I eat to check if it's cooked. Someone else also wrote had better be a thirty coarse meal. Now what did you guys think about this? Pasta debate?
Speaker 1: I'd be disappointed by this. Let's be honest. It looks minuscule. Do you know what it actually look like? You know that tin spaghetti you get in a can. It looks like someone is just spaghetti that you get. Oh sorry, you know what I mean. Looks like someone has literally dollopped a tiny bit of spaghetti on the plate. The plates were beautiful, though, Maybe that's why. Maybe whoever designed the plates was trying to get a lot of attention and didn't want too much spaghetti ruining it. Because everyone's talking about it, surely this was a one of you know, as a person said, thirty course meal or something. This can't have been a main serve.
Speaker 2: Well can you imagine spending millions of dollars on a wedding only to have the food mocked publicly. I do think this has become such a big deal, though, because everyone has been in a situation where they're starving at a wedding and they've been shafted with food.
Speaker 1: Do you reckon that Kendall Jenna was serving up the plates because you know, she's clearly got no idea how to cut a cue cup. But maybe she doesn't know non model portion sizes. You just give them a little bit. I've been to a wedding once, this is years ago, where people were literally trying to fight each other for Aaron Cheney balls because everyone was so hungry. That's a fear of mine, having a wedding where people do go hungry. Yeah, food is such an important part. I know a friend of mine he went to a wedding and he's Italian, so he's used to all the five course meal and he said that somebody is served in what looked like just the cone of a cornetto, and he asked the waitress where's the rest of this? Yeah, that's the thing I reckon. It's one of these rich people thinks that us commoners don't get, you know, when they serve like minuscule amounts at fancy restaurants and are supposed to be, you know, really good. They'd be going to McDonald's after surely, Hello.
Speaker 3: Gorgeous angels, welcome back to my YouTube channel.
Speaker 1: You're gonna lead your cups of teeth?
Speaker 3: Can you just all go and get like a ridiculous amount of snacks. We got digestives, we got married an cookies.
Speaker 1: Elle Darby has returned to Instagram five months after racist, homophobic, and fat phobic tweets she sent as a teenager resurfaced. Now, the twenty six year old who launched clothing brand Angel Collection off the back of her success as a YouTuber, saw her followers drop by one hundred thousand during the scandal. Now, in the tweets that were made more than a decade ago, Elle called foreigners meatheads who speak in grunts and said she hates Polish people and Indians. Now. At the time, Elle released an apology on her YouTube channel, which was branded by some as insincere. Now. Since then, as we have discussed on the show, there was radio silence. But that was until Sunday when Elle made her grand return to Instagram. Now this post has been liked by more than one hundred thousand people, with many of her supporters saying that glad El has returned amy. This apology was quite lengthy. Can you touch on a couple of the pivotal points in it? Yeah? Well, Elle started the apology by saying, there are a few times in life when it makes more sense to just stop, to take your breath, to reevaluate, to revisit areas that need deeper healing, and to return when you have the right message rooted in authenticity and truth. It's all about authenticity in truth, I think, particularly in a pr apology like this exactly. So Ll continued on by saying that she has too many thoughts and feelings to fit into one caption or one video, so she has instead translated them into values and lessons she's learned offline and will be reinforcing in her online presence. I found the mention of her online presence fascinating because I wonder how she will show these new values and lessons in her new YouTube videos, because I feel like it's really difficult to do that in an authentic way. If you remember back to the Braid scandal with White Fox and Sarah's day on her story, she was trying to show that she had learnt and you know, she was buying aboriginal artwork, and it just came across as very disingenuous. So I do wonder how these new lessons that she's going to show are going to come across online.
Speaker 2: When you were talking, all I could think about. Was that episode of Seinfeld when George is accused of not having any black friends, and then he tries and befriends all these people that he barely knows like it. That's all I can think about, something that would come across as so insincere and tokenistic.
Speaker 1: Well, she's going to be so careful about it, doesn't she. So Elle then spoke about the hurt that she'd cause people. She said, my own heart has been completely broken, knowing I had broken yours. She then spoke about finding it tough to connect with and navigate the mind of her teenage self. She said it was a difficult task, and she revisited a very unhappy, hateful version of herself and tried to understand why she had so much hatred in her heart. She finished off by saying, the first half of twenty twenty two has been the most pivotal of her life, and it's time for her next chapter to begin. She said, here's to life's chance to be a better person. I do have to give her props for calling herself a hateful person as a teenager, because that would be really difficult to say and also quite difficult to reflect on. Behavior that you perhaps didn't associate with yourself anymore. I don't know if it's difficult to call your past behavior out, to be honest, I feel like it's almost easier to criticize the person you once were because you're no longer that person anymore. Yeah, but I feel like a lot of influencers would instead say, oh, I was stupid and I wasn't well informed, But to say that you were actually filled with hate towards a different race of people.
Speaker 2: One of the criticisms of El's initial apology was a focus on that she was really young and a teenager. So I do wonder if there is a purpose of saying, you know, my teenage self reiterating the fact that she was young when she did put these things out. I do think it is an improvement on the past apology, though.
Speaker 1: I feel like we've seen so many influencer apologies this year and also in twenty twenty one, and what a lot of influencers generally don't do is make the apology she a fixture on their feed, but she actually has. She didn't go down the route of having the traditional black background with the white writing. She made it a little more aesthetic for her feed because it is going to be a permanent fixture. And it's interesting because when she uploaded the apology, she also changed her Instagram profile to a pick of her her fiance Con and also her son, Saint on the Beach Eagle Eyede. Followers also noticed the con has removed part time YouTuber from his bio, and neither Con or Elle have their YouTube channel linked anymore. All they have is links to their clothing brands. So this has led some followers to speculate that the couple are planning a complete rebrand. So instead of sticking with El Darby as a solo YouTube account, many think that they are going to change their account over to a family channel name, perhaps the Swift Family. And this could help brands who were unaware of the controversies still want to work with her because when they go to Google Swift Family, they aren't going to come up with all of this awful news about her.
Speaker 2: Gods, that's pretty clever because I think it makes sense as a natural progression for someone like Elle, who is getting married and has a child to turn her channel into a family channel. And I think that would be very clever, particularly to change her name to Elle swift publicly now that there is so much negativity link to the name El Darby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, Kay, And she has backed up the apology the next day by sharing a photo in her feed of her and her family on the beach and she wrote a forever thing. She then collaborated on the post with Con so it appeared on his feet and this is the first sign of life from Con. This is the first post that he has been part of. And many followers were over the moon that she was back, writing oh my God, look at Saint. Welcome back both of you. The comeback is always stronger than the setback, while another user wrote Saint's so big now, good to see you back. Remember us angels that stayed loyal through and through. And I did notice that Elle was quick to comment on a lot of her followers posts, writing love hearts or nice mess just back to them. So it's obvious that she is trying to stay in the good books with her followers.
Speaker 2: Do you know who probably was even more excited than Elle's angel fans. It would have been the people on Tattle Life. They would have been frothing that Elle is back and that they can pick her life to pieces. Again.
Speaker 1: Well, many have been putting the time of the reappearance under the spotlight. So one Twitter user roade Lle doing a resurrection on a random Sunday is wild. Oh no, wait, it's been four months since her last video, and YouTube stops paying if you're inactive for six months, so she needs to test the waters. What do you guys think about that comment and also the timing of the post. Well, I didn't actually know that about YouTube, so I wouldn't be surprised. I mean, it does feel like it's been such a long time since the incident that in my mind, it almost feels like a good time for l to return. The thing is, it's not.
Speaker 2: Like she uploaded a YouTube video exactly five and a bit months, so I don't know if the six months really comes into it. I think she's left it a long enough time that it seems like people actually want her back. I don't recall another influencer having this sort of radio silence since a big scandal like this. The only other person I can think of is Shane Dawson after his scandals, who went mia on YouTube for probably nearly a year. Think about James Charles, who always seems to find himself in controversies and they end up just using it as clickbait. At least L hasn't gone down that path, But I suppose I can see the frustration with many people because it appears that now that she's back, people have forgotten her what she's done and just forgiven her easily. And I think it's going to take more than that to change her image. She's actually going to start having to action these apologies.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I didn't like about this apology and a lot of influencer apologies. I mean, yes, it was well written. It's quite clear that a PI agency or a manager has helped her put this together. But I always hate the way that they seem to touch on self growth and discovery, and I don't know, it just doesn't really come across as genuine to me. It comes across as a bit wanky. I'd rather people just, you know, forget about talking about their spiritual journeys and just say I was a bit of a dickhead growing up? Well, is it?
Speaker 2: Because self growth is actually really difficult to show on a YouTube video. I mean that people can talk about journaling and reflecting, meditating, and I feel like those are trendy ways that people think that they show self growth, but it is really something that is impossible to show when you work on yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's pretty amazing because the day the apology came out, she recorded one four hundred and twenty new followers. Then the following day she got twenty eighteen new followers, and the next day one thousand and forty six, and up until then she was gradually losing hundreds of followers by the day. I wonder if that also had a bit to do with her return, because she could see her follow account dwindling, and of course that would be in reaction to the tweets, but also because she had been inactive for so long, people would think, why am I following this? She's not even sharing on here anymore. So will you go watch her content if she does come back to YouTube, I'll definitely watch the first video that drops to see.
Speaker 2: What is going on. In terms of her channel, I did used to like watching vogmas, but I found that her vlogs were very long and boring and not much actually happens in them.
Speaker 1: I used to enjoy her content because it did feel really wholesome and you know, like you're sitting down with a friend. However, I think it will be difficult to reconnect with her in that way. That being said, I do hate to use the term hate watch, but I do watch a lot of influencer content of people that I don't particularly like. So it might be one of those things where you're sort of keeping an eye on what happens just for the tea. I did enjoy her content before this controversy, and as you said, Kay, I'm going to be interested to see what the first video is. However, I don't think it's ever going to be the same anyway. I need help revising what subjects do you do? What now? Yes? Now, cetting design and PA pe yep. And that's an actual as level at the school I now attend, is it?
Speaker 2: Oh Gods, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Neil go for Sarah's Day has revealed she previously suffered from body dysmorphia. On her podcast The Health Code, she opened up about her fad dieting and how it drove her distorted views of her body. Now, firstly, for those who don't know Amy, what exactly is body dysmorphia? So, body dysmorphia is a mental health condition where you can't stop thinking about your perceived defects or flaws in your appearance. So generally it's a flaw that's really minor to other people, and sometimes people don't even notice what this flaw is. So those who have body dysmorphia intensely focus on their appearance and body image. They may repeatedly check the mirror or seek reassurance, sometimes for many hours each day. So sop It was actually Kurt who questioned Sarah about her body image on the podcast, so he flat out asked her, did you have body dysmorphia when you were trying out all those fad diets? And Sarah flat out replied yes. Now, Sarah explained that she felt embarrassed being a fitness influencer at the time because she thought she didn't live up to the expectation of what a fitness influencer should look like. Let's have a listen to what Sarah said exactly.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I thought, how embarrassing that, like, I'm on social media to be this fitness person and like I look like this. I honestly thought I had so much weight to lose and I was so flabby and squishy, and I look back I'm like I look twelve, so I was so lean and not in a cool way in like a oh seah, like what are you doing? I truly eat for beautiful skin and beautiful hair and a mind that can concentrate, like I eat so much for my mind now.
Speaker 2: Now, this admission has led to a lot of questions about whether Sarah should now remove her old YouTube videos, which glorifies these fad diets, and I.
Speaker 1: Would tend to agree.
Speaker 2: I just don't think she should be able to say something like this and then keep online all this harmful content that is going to make other people follow what she was doing. Well, what's most disturbing about these videos is these are the videos.
Speaker 1: That made Sarah blow up on YouTube. So there's obviously a reason why she hasn't deleted them because I'm assuming they are still making her a lot of money, and they're probably being viewed weekly by hundreds of thousands of impressionable people who may discover her from these videos. When you do look back at some of her old videos, a lot of them are what I eat in the day video, so they're basically a step by step guide of how to eat like Sarah's day when she was suffering from body dysmorphia. So it's really frightening that this sort of content is out there. And although she does seem to think that she's moved past this and is eating in a healthier way, I do think she probably has some of those thoughts still there, because on the podcast she was saying, Oh, I now will eat sour dough bread, and I eat healthy eighty to ninety percent of the time. And I don't know, I just feel like it's still quite dangerous to have someone using their platform to promote healthy lifestyle and healthy eating when they're still suffering from something clearly themse what about when she said, oh, I now just eat for my skin and hair, And I was like, well, what about just eating to, you know, out of enjoyment. Why does it have to be for something? Well, on her Instagram story the other day, she sard that she went into a shop and she had to stop herself from buying this large bag of life Savor Apple Sherbet lollies, which looked delicious, and she was saying how she yeah, and she was saying how she and curred her on these diets at the moment where it was mainly her Kurts not sticking to it, but you know, she's feeling really good, eating healthy, and instead of that, she might have, you know, a date covered in peanut butter or something that's terrible. That's and I was like, you would have actually been so much more relatable to just go out and get the bag of lollies. I mean I saw these bag of lollies in question and actually went out that night and bought them. They looked so good.
Speaker 2: Did anyone else think that she put it on her story to keep herself accountable so that she wouldn't go back and eat the lollies because I was giving me vibes because you didn't really need to post that it's a weird little food journal almost.
Speaker 1: Does anyone else think it's a little bit awkward that she has made this admit because I feel like she thinks she's being relatable by saying it. However, it just contradicts their whole brand because Sarah is known as a fitness influencer. That's what she's made her money on. Yet she's saying, actually, I had body dysmorphia, I wasn't eating proper food. It's just super awkward. I feel like it'd be more powerful if she actually came out with a post on an Instagram story or did a video announcing that she did previously suffer from it, and perhaps get some experts involved, and you know, had a bit more thought behind how she was going to report that information to her following, rather than just sort of touching on it briefly on a five minute podcast episode and then going through and deleting the content like that's the most important thing. Why hasn't she deleted the content if she realizes at the time there was something distorted with the way that she was eating and the way she viewed her body.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's all we've got time for today. Thank you so much for joining us for another episode of Outspoken. If you would like to join in on the conversation, head over to our Facebook group which is Outspoken at the podcast Community, and please leave us a five star review and make sure to follow us on TikTok and Instagram at Outspoken Underscore The Underscore Podcast