Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week. Their line Welcome TV Reload listeners. My name is Benjamin Norris, and this is your podcast to get all the inside goss on the popular TV shows that you may be watching from around the world. Undeniably, our TV sets are a major part of our home entertainment and very little is known about how our favorite shows get made. Each episode, I find guests that want to dive just that little bit deeper into the shows they're currently making, so that you at home can hear their exclusive stories and gain access to the biggest names in Australian television. I want to thank you for downloading or subscribing to this podcast. I love hearing your feedback, so make sure you leave a comment on your chosen podcast platform and I will make sure you feel as included in the production of this show as I possibly can. This week has been an explosive week in Australian television, and today I'm lucky enough to feature all three of the eliminated castaways from Australian Survivor Heroes Versus Villains. First up, we have Angelie rou who is known as an international journalist, TV personality and form a housewife from the Real Housewives of Melbourne. We will find out what makes Angelie a villain and why producers mysteriously buried her former role on The Housewives during the promotion of the twenty twenty three series. I will also ask if she has permanently swaped journalism for reality TV. Plus, Angelie will break down the first episode, which will give you some exclusives on what actually went down on her bonker's time on the show. We will then have Michael Warren, who was another journalist who also joined Angelie on the villains Tribe. We will find out how superfan Michael feels about his time on the show and if he felt audiences connected with his character correctly. Stick around for his breakdown on the Tribal Council as we discuss if Georgia's dramatic takedown actually did throw him off. I honestly think this will still divide Australian Survivor fans and I'm going to leave this up to you to interpret his retelling of the situation. And then finally Mimi will join me to unpack her episode, which will see us discuss if Simon really does have an idol what her biggest mistakes were if, in fact, midnight cookie crunching was responsible for her being booted. I genuinely hope you guys have a great time listening to these chats. I feel like I've been talking forever. Sorry about that, but feel free to follow me this season of Australian Survivor on Network ten. Send me a questions. I'd love to ask them for you. However, let's bring it our first guest for this podcast. Let's welcome Angelie raw. Hi, Angelie, thank you for popping into chat about Australian Survivor.
Speaker 2: Benjamin. It has a pleasure.
Speaker 1: When I heard that you were doing Australian Survivor, I thought, well, Angelaine knows a good pun, so I was expecting good humor at the very least.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope I delivered. I wouldn't want to let you down.
Speaker 1: When they asked you to do this show, at what point did they tell you that you were going to be a villain.
Speaker 2: I was told pretty much straight away. But the conversation was would you like to know well the season is? And I said yes, I would like to know, and they said it's heroes versus villains, And I said, don't you damn make me a hero? How boring? And they said, yeah, we're definitely not making you a hero. That's like fabulous, because this is what my whole accent is leading towards is being a villain. You can't be a hero with an accent like this.
Speaker 1: Do you think that you need to have villainous qualities to be a good journalist? Because after watching Survivor and seeing journalists being portrayed this way, is this a big statement about all journalists?
Speaker 2: I think it definitely is, because you know we run with the foxes and hunt with the hounds. Well I do anyway, So I think it was a perfect role for me, but it wasn't even a role that's literally how I actually am in real life.
Speaker 1: I feel like you lean into this villainous role because, like I've worked with you before, and from my experience working with you, villainry is not something that I would have put with you at all. So, I mean, I watched The Real Housewives of Melbourne and I felt like we got some villainry in that, But then though shows kind of heightened that reality. Do you genuinely think of yourself as a villain?
Speaker 2: I suppose if. Yeah, I kind of do, because you know, I do take risks and I don't play life safe, which is sort of, you know, a villainy kind of thing to do. But I was the villain on the season that I did of Real Housewives, basically because I just paid out on everyone but behind their backs, obviously, because I didn't really like confrontation unless I'm being paid very well to have it. And then of course I quit the season in the middle of it, the only Real housewive ever to do that, and of course that made me she did what so And if I hadn't done that, I don't think that I would have got Survivor. I think, you know, I was told that although Survivor wanted me for what I bring journalistically, that basically the crap I pulled on Housewives put me on everyone's radar and that's why I was cast. So I'm absolutely thrilled. I still can't believe that I did either of the shows, but amazing experiences. I'm very very thankful.
Speaker 1: Well, there was a lot of promotion for you being a news anchor, and we got to see that in the promotion for Survivor Heroes versus films, but you know, we didn't see a lot in the promotion of you being a housewife. Was that a conscious decision in the promotion of you being on the show?
Speaker 2: Yes, very much.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: They wanted to play down my role in Housewives, of course, and play up my journalistic career, which I'm very happy about because you know, I was a housewife for this slog and a journalist for that long. But they didn't want to. And of course Housewives comes with its own connotations, as you know, of being sort of shallow and bitchy and nasty, and that's not what they wanted to promote. They wanted to promote, you know, being smart and strategic and being good with the English language. That's what they wanted, and I'm told that's what they got.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. What was your favorite part from watching the launch episode?
Speaker 2: Well, it definitely wasn't me leaving. That was hard. I had some tears. I think my favorite part was in its entirety, the edit that I got. I was really really pleased with it, and it did kind of like Housewives become the Angeli Show.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 2: It was like I had all of that episode. I was really really pleased. And also since the show wrapped, We've actually all become really good friends, even though that I never properly got to meet. They've all just been so lovely to me, really supportive and warm, and we all hang out and they check in on me all the time and just really you know, great people. But also you know, as soon as I exit, Rip said to me, you were the greatest first boot in Survivor history, which is like, that tells me. That meant everything to me. That tells me that I did exactly what I was supposed to do, except in a much shorter timeframe, so I'm very efficient. So that was it that they got what they needed in one episode, So that was that really really meant a huge amount to me.
Speaker 1: I noticed on a couple of the fan forums people were talking about people to go on these shows to earn their paycheck, and people said, Angelie row on Housewives on Survivor, she knows that she's there to do a job. And then there was a debate that came off the back of that as to whether or not we want people to ham up their time on these shows or whether we lack them seeing more of who they truly are. Where do you find yourself in that balance of that conversation.
Speaker 2: Obviously, these people do not know me because this is really who I am. It's not that I was playing a role or hamming it up. I don't have to do that. I'm just like this as a person in my normal daily life. So I never read any fan forums. I just want to put that out there. Learned that the hard way, you know, And I know there was a lot of There were some comments that came through to me before I remember to switch off my DMS about oh my girl, well if you couldn't hack it on Housewives, how are you going to be in the jungle? Blah blah blah blah blah. It's like, for God's sake, you're just jealous that I get the opportunities and you don't. It's like, well, if you hate me that much, what do you care if I last five minutes on Survivor. It's like, oh, it really is. But you know what, I'm Yes, I am there to do a job, but I'm there to have experiences for myself. Like life is all about experiences and stories and being able to share those things. I just have more of them than most.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't really think that we really saw enough of the reason why they stacked those votes against you. Did you think that you were going home? Or was there a real you know, I call it getting the Survivor show bag when you get all the experience, and maybe it's a part of the Survivor showbag that you get blindsided. But did you what went down to get all those votes? Though? I don't feel like we saw enough of that?
Speaker 2: Really simple they voted me off because well, they said it was because I was too close to George and Jackie, But what it really was was that they knew that if I stayed I would get all the airtime, exactly as I did on Housewives. They were just like, none of us are going to get a look and if she stays around. So I think that was a huge part of it. You know, George might be the Messiah of Macedonia, but I am the Empress of the edit and it's TV baby. So but with George and Jackie gone, it was my two protectors, my double safety blanket, bam both gone, one fell sweep. That's it. How dare they have the audacity to end up in hospital and leave me exposed like that standing on the beach in front of all those people with no nickers on. I mean seriously, So, I I kind of thought, if I get through Tribal tonight, then I'm very lucky. But I have to prepare myself to be going home just because those two very powerful players protecting me were gone. And it's just the obvious choice that So if that happens, what do I do? Just make sure I get the best to edit, be memorable, be funny, be likable, get a great edit. And that's what happened. So, because you know, I looked around and I was like, oh my god, these people are athletes and olympians and oh my god, this is so righting and intimidating. But you turn it to don't know anything about TV, and I do. So I'm just going to be as hilarious as I can and just get through it that way. And I'm glad that I played it the way that I did.
Speaker 1: It seemed like that alliance, though with George, you know, was kind of cut short. But would you have really trusted that relationship? Did you think that relationship with George had you stayed, do you think it would have been sustainable?
Speaker 2: I think it would have been sustainable for a long time, but eventually, of course, you know, we would just turn around and eat each other. But you know it, we did have that close bond. But I think a lot of it came from the fact that on the first night, well my only night, we had the worst shelter in the world, and none of us could sleep except George. He was right next to me and he put his head on my boob and fell fast asleep, snoring. So everybody thought he was super close after that, but I don't know, like we did form a natural sort of bond. So he had. He used to really like watching me on Dateline. He was back at in his UNI days so and I obviously loved watching him on his season, So we had that sort of natural affinity, like I like what you do, and I like what you do. And then when he and Jackie decided between themselves that they would protect me, but before telling me about it, it was it was a really lovely moment. And you know, Jackie and I were the fellow you know, older ladies, and you know when when they said, oh, just so, and it's always the older lady who gets first boot, and I was like, how fascinating, Why are you telling me that? Oh right. And then Jackie, being slightly older than me, she's gone, who's the older lady? Now me?
Speaker 1: Are you annoyed that you moved forward with that elimination knowing that you could have all gone back to camp? Because I was watching your face and I know you relatively well, and I could see you were very confident with moving forward to that elimination. You know, I guess they probably wouldn't have been a different option anyway, because there were so many people voting for it. But are you annoyed that you then chose so confidently to go forward with that elimination?
Speaker 2: I'm not, because you know, although my ballsiness was at my own expense, you know, what wasn't shown was how hard I persuaded all of them to have the votes read because none of them wanted to. And I was like, for God's sake, we leave the boring, safe decisions to the heroes. That's what they do. We're villains, We take risks, we live dangerously, we live on knife edge. Come on, let's just do this. And Jonathan said to me, but Angelie, one off, it's you, And I was like, we are here to make TV. We're here to make some damn good drama. If it's me, the bigger the drama. So let's just do this. And I stand by that absolutely. I mean, it does hurt when, you know, I saw my name repeatedly come up, even though I'm really not sure that I was voted off because none of them actually spelt my name right. It was difficult to seeing my name that many times, not least because on the beach they'd all say, actually, it's so straight don't worry that George and Jaggie aren't here. You're completely see. If we love you, we won't you around. Just so funny a few bastards.
Speaker 1: You never trust anyone that straightway protests too much, is what I think. In reality television, the ones that say that I love you, I never the ones that love you.
Speaker 2: No. Indeed, I never cast a fellow villain.
Speaker 1: And you know, Seanie, it looked like she thought she was going to go home. Do you think there was ever a real chance of her going home?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Na, her name never came up in any conversations that I had. It was Stevie, Stevie, Stevie like Stevie all the way. And I really regret that now because I've gotten to know Stevie, and he's just an absolute darling. I wish that I'd chosen differently. I know exactly who I would have chosen, and a whole bunch of the other villains now just.
Speaker 1: Like, oh God, who would you have chosen? You can't leave us with that.
Speaker 2: A whole bunch of us would have chosen Michael.
Speaker 1: Of course, of course it's.
Speaker 2: Like, wait, how did I not write Michael's with me.
Speaker 1: Not being sped properly, You're not sleeping properly, all of these things staying against you. You'd never seem to think of what's right in front of you. You know, there's a lot of rooms circulating this morning about another reality show that might be coming up for you that you'd already been asked to do something. Is that sounding like where your home is with reality? Because I've worked with you as a journalist. We covered the election, the American election, and you as a journalist, to me, is who you really are? Do you think you're going to go with the I'm not going to ask you about that reality show, whether it's true or not, because I know it's true and you're not allowed to talk about it. But where do you think you want to go with that. Do you want to stay in reality or do you want to return to being a journalist.
Speaker 2: I do think I've really left being a journalist, so I still really love doing it. It's just that the industry in this country has been not good to me. It's incredibly racist and I've talked about it many times in the media. I'm afraid that's just the nature of the game in Australia. And you know, they didn't see me as Australian, even though the second I popped out of my mother I was an Australian. So but I'm a different Australian and that's not palatable amongst the journalistic community. I've always said, you know, diversity in Australian TV journalism means that you're a brunette and all you have to do is switch on the TV and see that. I'm exactly right. It's really so, and it's been very hard to take that. I've been really really lucky in building up my global MC in career and now with reality TV coming for me. It's not something I ever thought I do. I thought the most reality I would get was the news. I mean, that's pretty damn real, but reality TV unscripted formats, that's where that's where it's at. You know, it's the future of TV. Nobody's paying for scripted anymore. Yeah, So I have been approached to do something else later this year. Again, it's not something that I ever thought of, but it's like, yeah, why not?
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, absolutely make good TV. You make fabulous TV. So look, I think that that is you know, it's great and you've got an audience for it. Normally, at this point I ask people what it is, something from behind the scenes, something people wouldn't expect, but we kind of don't want to give away too much from Survivor. This season, I'm going to be asking people who do they think. Two questions first being who's your pick to win? Not what you know now maybe, but like when you left that beach, who did you think was going to win?
Speaker 2: It was difficult because I wasn't there really long enough, but I did sort of think, if it's a hero Sean because he's just like nine feet tall and none of those challenges, any sort of challenge for him at all, you know, I'm five foot and was just like.
Speaker 1: Did you see the part where there were so many moments where the cameraman didn't even bother getting him in like that. He's actually there was a group shot of everyone and he just said cut off from the shoulders and I was like, oh God, anyway.
Speaker 2: And then if it was if George were to come back, I would have him for he'd be a really good pick I think to win. I also thought maybe Seanne because she's she's just so cunning and she knows the game better than anyone because she's just done it more times.
Speaker 1: The last thing I'm ask people is, you know, if you came back, what theme would you come back with? Because we do see a lot of survivor players come back to the show, and we do see lots of themes. What's a theme that Angelie Rau could come back?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Give me some options.
Speaker 1: Well, I think a good one could be journalists versus.
Speaker 2: Then say journalists versus Reality because we're foighting myself.
Speaker 1: I don't have enough personalities for this.
Speaker 2: Maybe it can be all reality stars against each other.
Speaker 1: Who would be the worst housewife for you to go back onto a show if they revealed you in a reality show with one of your past castmates or past housewives, who'd be the one that you'd be like, no, I'm not doing this.
Speaker 2: You know, it would actually probably be Simone because she would just bore me to death.
Speaker 1: Angelie Rao, you are hilarious as always and I love that we left on that note as it was very villainous and also very entertaining. Thank you so much for.
Speaker 2: Your time and his own Van love you.
Speaker 1: A great chat with Angelie Rau and a good warm up for things to come. With the next guest, let's bring Michael into the pod. Buckle up as he's going to drop some of his home truths and I still think it's going to polarize audiences. Hi Michael, thanks for popping in and chatting about Australian Survivor morning.
Speaker 3: But it's an absolute pleasure to join you.
Speaker 1: Ben. So far we have lost two journalists. Do you think that maybe, you know, maybe the journalistic integrity doesn't work so well on a show like Australian Survivor.
Speaker 3: I think, but I think my background, my profession has got anything to do with it. I just think it's more identified my threats and George being number one and he didn't like it, and Seanie didn't like it because that meant that two returne players were going to go home, Ben, And hence why I'm sitting here on the couch today.
Speaker 1: Not to move too far away from this and not to hammer it down, but how would you compare your time on the show with Angelie Rau? You know, two very different journalists. What was the co parison in your mind?
Speaker 3: Nothing, I'm I'm not a desperate housewife number one, and Angelie was probably I think it was well known that Angeli was quite dead weight, dead weight on the in the tribe. You know, she's all about glitz and glamour and I'm just a humble community journalist who covers grandma's who has dogs have three legs. And Angelie was struggling out there, and it was no surprise that she went home first.
Speaker 1: We didn't really see the reasons as to why people had decided to get rid of her, you know, was there something that we didn't see or was it just simply that people thought she was dead weight? Or was she going around saying things that hadn't boded well with people?
Speaker 3: Good question, too easy answers. Number one, She was dead weight, like as a in terms of challenges, we knew that she had to go. That was a no brainer. She just wasn't cutting the mustard. But number two, it was very clear that she was struggling out there. Like sometimes Ben, as you know in TV, what you see on TV, there's a lot happening behind the scenes, and she was someone who was, you know, talking to a lot of people about how much she wasn't handling the handling the conditions, the environment, the lack of food, the sleep deprivation, and so it was very clear. It was just like she's going home and that's what's happening. So that they're the two reasons she was struggling with the conditions and the show. And number two, she was deadweight to challenges. And that's that's just the facts.
Speaker 1: That's a good question to ask you at this point is are you rethinking your gameplay, especially after watching it play out on television last night?
Speaker 3: No bet. I made my mind always stay true to yourself at all times and don't seek validation or approval made and I look back and I wouldn't change a thing. I did what I wanted to do, and that was to play a bold, adventures and daring game and just take out my threats one by one, and the number one threat that I wanted to take out was George. And as the executives, the producers and everybody behind the scenes said, Michael, you had him on a plan back to Australia. Yeah, he was gone. I had him. I'd engineered, I had the power, I had the control. George was gone. He was a done dinner and he knew it. And that's why he was, you know, searching for an idol. He knew it. He was cooked. If it wasn't for his injury, he was going home. So that's extremely disappointing. And hence when he comes back, Shawnnie jumps behind George, uses him as a shield, groundbreaking strategy not and then you know, Shannie brought in the girls, and then my time was done. But Ben, Mate, I look back and I wouldn't have done a thing differently. I own my game, Ben, and I don't stand. I don't shy away from that. I'm not a I'm unpologetic about my game. Ben. It is what it is, Mate, I have no regrets.
Speaker 1: George's return was probably one of the most dramatic things that I've seen on reality television. There was no beating around the bush. He was severely injured, but then too, I guess make audiences feel a little bit better about what must have happened to him. We got a very entertaining slash dramatic baptism that seemed so surreal as an audience, like almost hilarious, like you're watching a Monty Python episode. How did it play out for you? How is it in real time?
Speaker 3: Well, Ben, you've got to You've got to You've got to put yourself in my shoes here. I was I engineered, I had the at that stage, I had the numbers, I had control, and I had things going my way. So as far as I was concerned, like he was done, he was cooked. And in the back of my mind, I know he's like a snake. He's a copper oach, and you know they're very hard to kill. So I knew that somehow, whether it's production or whatever, you know, he mysteriously come out of the bushes and wandering back to camp, and that's exactly what happened. So from that moment on, I knew that I had to double down and make things happen. But I knew if you came back Seannie knew that I wanted to take George out, So I knew that I was in trouble immediately, so I had to play even harder to try and stay in the game. And yeah, you saw it played out well.
Speaker 1: You worked hard at your alliances, and I kind of felt like there were some some bad ideas with some of your alliances. I mean, who do you think was your worst alliance someone you might have accidentally mistrusted.
Speaker 3: I didn't mistrust anyone, mate. If we talk about Mimi and Sarah and Liz, like when you go to sleep at night and you hear girls talking about they're any on the show to get Instagram followers and stuff, so I don't I just don't roll with people. I don't roll with people like that. Ben. I didn't want to go around the Piranhas and the high Ennis in the camp, so I didn't seek approval of validation. I just wanted to play the game and see who I organically went to and who organically come to me. And so in terms of mistrusting, maybe Steve. You know, Stevie was a fit flopper, and when it came to the crunch, Stevie dislacked the intestinal fortitude to stay strong. But to camera, Jordie, I never trusted you know, one person in front of the camera, another person off it, and you know, for me, it was just the one person I trusted was Simon, and it is what it is like. I'm not going to go out and beg for people, to beg for people's votes. I'd rather play the game on my terms, to be quite frank.
Speaker 1: Oh, look, I would mistrust Simon any day of the week. But that's a completely different story. The villains are copying it really hard. You know, do you think that the teams have been unfairly stacked?
Speaker 3: That's a good Ben, it's a good question, mate. And I arrived at our first challenge, I look at the heroes women and I thought, Mate, there women was so fast, suppearing stronger than ours. It was ridiculous. Like Jackie, Angelie Sarah. I just thought the women here are mentally fragile and just physically not of the ilk of Haley and Nina. Mate. The short answers, Yes, I felt there was a distinct indifference between the two tribe strengths and you can see that right now. And I think what you'll find going forward, Ben, is the villains will continue to be in a world of.
Speaker 1: Trouble, regardless of how the cookie crumbles. Are you happy with the fact that you did the show?
Speaker 3: Ben? Another good question, like such a simple question, but such a such a stacked and loaded question. You know, playing in the nutshell. Playing Survivor is a twenty year dream bend for me personally. I wasn't in it for Instagram followers. I'm not like, I have my Instagram accounts closed, like I'm a private guy. I'm on television, but I'm a private guy. It's a dream come true. But I did it because I'm a purist of Survivor and I wanted to be known as a Survivor player. So it is what it is. Like I've lived the experience now, I know how it happens behind the scenes. I know how it's put together. I know production had high hopes for me. Ben. I know that they wanted me to go much deeper as did I. But survive is such a fluid game, Ben, that things can change, and that's what happened. But of course I'm happy, Ben, But I just wish I had gone further. But that's the way life goes.
Speaker 1: They bring people back, so you just never worry. Well watch his space, Ben, what do you think was the hardest thing about the experience. Obviously, being a survivor purist, you know you would have a fairly good understanding of what was going to happen. But then in the reality of it, you know what was the hardest thing.
Speaker 3: The gameplay was easy. I know you haven't askedt gameplay was easy. What was hard was getting fifty minutes sleep a night. I challenge anyone to operate and function very clearly and easily with that limited amount of sleep. So you add sleep deprivation, which was like so minimal, and then you add starvation on top of that. Those two factors been it doesn't matter who you are, they affect They just affect you. But also the way Survivors shot, it's so intense that you know, the camera's never off you, and that's I know that you've done that, but people behind the scenes, the actual shooting aspect is so intense at the same time, and I signed up for that and so that's totally fine, but those things are stick in my mind. Those the shooting, their sleep deprivation, and like starvation.
Speaker 1: People said, why was I such a bitch on big Brother, And the answer was, I was starving.
Speaker 3: Ben I get it, mate, and you know when the spotlight's on and the heats on in the kitchen, like it makes it makes people ordinary everyday people do funny things.
Speaker 1: Ben, Well, we need to talk about these challenges because I don't think that they'd planned challenges as extreme as this season. And you know how hard are the challenges in real life? And were you kind of expecting it to be that time?
Speaker 3: I prepared for the worst, Ben, when I signed up to this show. I was willing to This may sound extreme, and you can take it forward it is, but I was willing to lose my life out there, Ben. If I was to lose my life, so what like whatever? In reference to the challenges, for example, the one where George and Jackie hurt themselves, we had to run through with the challenge producers about how to do the challenge right, and that was the goal go over the top and turn your shoulder, not go over face first. So with that I wanted to go first. It just didn't bother me, like I know that I'm going to get injured on Survivor, so I don't I don't blame producers. The challenges are fine, Like, it's just the people who did them didn't do them correctly. So it is what it is.
Speaker 1: Do you think you were holding back on any future strategies that we may have missed. I just think you are the sort of person who wouldn't go in there with one strategy. I can imagine you stacking the sandwich and letting that evolve.
Speaker 3: Look, Bet, I think I was a pretty straightforward cat. Essentially Ben in a nutshell. So it's clear my focus was just to play a bold and daring game. I hate players Ben who say on day one I'm going to do this. In day three, I'm going to do that, in day six, I'm going to do that. Survivor is such a fluid game, as you see things changing a dime, So my game was just my mindset was just to adapt and see and play the player. Who's the biggest threat in front of me? George, I'm taking him out immediately, Shannie, I'm taking her out immediately. Who's after that? That's all my mindset was. I wasn't looking looking to the merge and you know, trying to win Instagram followers. It was playing the game and playing the player, so you know, having planned cdn. No, it was just who's the biggest threat? Ben and how do I get that? How can I send them home?
Speaker 2: That's it?
Speaker 1: Well, I think that Shawnie is making some really good television. I actually would go as far as saying, at the moment, she's kind of the best person I've seen on reality TV in maybe ten years. I don't necessarily know how that felt, you know, living in that close proximity, But I guess the question I really want to ask you is who is controlling that the villain council? Like who is It could be Simon, it could be Shonnie, and it could be George.
Speaker 3: Like regarding Shannie, I personally don't think that she's a mastermind. What's if you look at previous Survivor series as she didn't go far So I think there's a miss narrative about Shawnie's game. I don't think she's all out of a player quite frank that's just my take. Having played with her, I think it's overstated her influence in the game, like production and TV commercials can make someone look at much more than what they actually are. And when I was out, yes, I know she played a role in my demise fair play, that's great, but I don't think she's all to have a play. I'll just make that very clear in terms of who's controlling the camp. In my opinion, if like in a nutshell, I still feel it's George, believe it or not. He still has an influence where he'll suck up to someone and he'll play a sympathy game, or he'll lie and people buy his lies. Not this guy, but other people. So underlyingly, it's still George, and no one can tell me different.
Speaker 1: Well, George is kind of the one to be. I mean, come on, like this this guy is Ben.
Speaker 3: Why do you think? Why do you think I he was my target? Immediately?
Speaker 1: I just thought you were so right. I was like, come on, Michael is so right. George let this team down. This challenge was lost because of it.
Speaker 3: Was a fair call Ben. Was that a fair call to pull him out.
Speaker 1: Of course. But the problem was that these players, when they've come back and they've played it before, they know that they can cook your goose when it comes to being in that tribal council. And that's all that really happened to you was that they managed to get under your skin, and rightfully so.
Speaker 3: But did they? But did they?
Speaker 1: I don't know? I mean, you were sitting close to the fire, so I did think that maybe it was a little bit hot under the.
Speaker 3: Collar, Benny. But Benny, Benny, let me make something clear, mate, My face was not read whatsoever, and I was cool as a cucumber. You saw there was at that time. There was some emotional calmness needed, and that's what that's what I provide. George doesn't like being called out, Ben, that's the fact. And when I called him out, his face went red, not mine.
Speaker 1: You know what it's like though, It's like one point one finger pointing at you, three fingers pointing back. You know, when someone accuses you of something in a show like this, they usually are feeling it themselves.
Speaker 3: So Benny, that's a mate. Think that's a massive point you just made. George was under distinct pressure. I don't think it ever had a player come out in that hard like he was smothered out there, like I put him under so much pressure that he knew why do you think he was searching for an idol so much, so so badly? Like the execs said, Michael, you had him on a plane back to Australia. He was done and so he looked at me as in his eyes the Hugess threat, whether he admits it or not. Why do you think that I got sent home because Seannie and he knew that I was coming at either him so hard. So I don't care the rest of the tribe. Bend lacked the strength and mental fortitude to get it done. But I wasn't going to sit back and let Seannie and George get a free ride in that game.
Speaker 1: Ben, come back to the same question I have to ask you, and that is that you know, watching the show, we got a very very distinct picture of you. Talking to you today, you know, I'm getting that again, and I just I just want to ask you, you know, do you think there was a sign of you that we didn't see on the show. Do you think that's exactly Who's.
Speaker 3: Very good question that Ben. We all have different size to us. But what I've like, I've said the Channel ten, like I've said to every like you're judging me on a five minute interaction on a podcast, Ben, what I will say, you know, there's a hard nose, but there's also such a delicate, softer, caring side with humor, and it just wasn't shown. Ben.
Speaker 1: Well, I can tell you this that It's been ten years since I was on Big Brother and people still think that I'm a bitch.
Speaker 3: Well, I thought you were quite nasty back in the day, Ben, But mate, listening to you over the far on your podcast, you're a nice man like. But it's all about people see that no sleep, no food. They make a judgment, you know, crazy, what's he doing? No, I'm an everyday guy in the suburb with a brain, intelligence and humor. Only one side is shown of your personality, you know.
Speaker 1: You know, all that I learned over ten years time was it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks of you, if someone's watched you on to show or that it's sen you walk down the street. It's the people in your life. It's your friends, it's your family, and it's how you see yourself that matters.
Speaker 3: What and you have to that's and that's my point, Like you've got to have like I don't seek validation or approval from anyone. Like I'm a self assured, confident, measured guy. So what other people's other people's opinions of me, Ben mean, Jack Shisen, They don't mean a thing. Whether it's media, what's that saying?
Speaker 1: Again? Sorry to interrupt, But.
Speaker 3: What's Jack Jack Jack Jack shisen?
Speaker 1: What other people think of you as none of your business.
Speaker 3: Again, there's so many sides of me, Ben, but you know, and I had friends calling you last night saying they wish that those sides have been shown, but I have been. I don't blame the edit. I don't I'm not here to whack any of the like, Mate, I own my game, the edits, the edit. You know. I have no hard feelings, Ben, with anything, my friend, and you know it's TV. I played my dream and I have no hard feelings.
Speaker 1: At the end of my podcast, I always ask people this question, you know, what's the behind the scenes secret, which we're not doing for Survivor because we can't.
Speaker 3: Peel the onion to I love to tell you, Ben.
Speaker 1: So I'm sort of finished the podcast a little bit differently, and I'm asking you who do you think your pick to win is? And not what you know now, but what you thought when you walked out of that tribal council.
Speaker 3: Someone like a Matt Sharp from the hero's tribe. I know that I didn't play for the heroes, but he just strikes me, as you know, affable, friendly, gets along with everybody fly, it will just fly on the radar, be your mate's mate. So for mine it be it'll be Mattie Sharp or someone like a David zachar Rice, someone like that.
Speaker 1: I asked Angeley Row yesterday. I said, you know, if they make you come back to this show, because they make people come back to Survivor, you know what theme would you like to come back for? And we kind of struggled. We were like, you know, maybe journalists versus reality TV contestants or.
Speaker 3: I've got a great I've got a great one for you, Ben, I'd love to come back with one's Survivor rivals. So over the years, people who have gone like head to head or butted heads on the show, so like George and myself, like all matchups where there's been flip or clashes or whatever it may be, but just Survivor rivals. I think that would be awesome.
Speaker 1: Mate, Can I just say this has been such a fun chat?
Speaker 3: You know then you say it to everybody, but thank you.
Speaker 1: Let me know how you feel about that chat with Michael. I feel like he really didn't hold back, so some juicy content there. However, let's bring in the final guest of this podcast. Let's bring in Mimi. I'm dying to ask her about the cookies, if Simon's idol is real, and who she thinks will win. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this chat. Let's bring Mimi into the pod and we're going. Hi, Mimi, thanks for popping into chat about Australian survivor.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me. I'm happy to be here.
Speaker 1: Well, I was watching you going through those cookies, which ended up kind of being your undoing. They kind of hung you out on that. Do you regret going through the cookie jar?
Speaker 4: I actually don't think it was that.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: It was a weird moment in that tribal council somehow. I think, yeah, the vote has changed. I think that vote changed three times in that tribal council. So I just got the short end of the stick.
Speaker 1: Me and me, I have no fingernails. That's from watching the episode because that tribal Council was just electric television and you could really see that no one really knew where it was going to go when it started. And I kept doing the mass and also I did veggie mouths at school. I was never good at it. I couldn't work it out. I didn't know how it was going to land.
Speaker 4: I was just crossing my fingers and toes and hoping that I wouldn't go home.
Speaker 1: But wait the other way, Well, I kept singing throughout the entire episode, who stole the cookies in the cookie Jar?
Speaker 4: I just can't believe there was actually something in there that killed me, that absolutely killed me.
Speaker 1: It's really just luck, chance and circumstance that you were not able to find that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well it was pitch black, so I couldn't see, but I was hoping that I would feel something solid, and I actually put my hand in twice to go through twice, just to double check. But yeah, didn't get it, unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Is that an idol that Simon has found in the cookie jar? I feel like he thinks it is, and it's probably not. What do you think, because I mean they usually come with the chain and they come with the note. What has he got for sure?
Speaker 4: I mean you saw the idol that George picked up. It looks completely different to that, so I definitely don't think it's an idol. And I'm actually quite shocked that Simon thinks it's an idol because he's an experienced player. So but then again, I mean every season the idol looks a little bit different, so maybe he.
Speaker 2: Thought that's that was that.
Speaker 1: But what do you think these discs mean? Like, what do you think that means in the game.
Speaker 4: I think it's definitely a clue to a next step, so it'll have a message in it somewhere. But you just got to look and we haven't seen him do that so far, so it'll be interesting to see.
Speaker 1: Well, the game requires having really strong relationships and alliances. Do you think that you didn't have that foundation to back you?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I felt like I had zero relationships and alliances, And yeah, it definitely felt like a lone wolf. As I've been saying, I had very i think surface level alliances where you know, it was kind of like the people that was left out of the core bunch, the core for I called them.
Speaker 1: Well, you said that you had a strong relationship with Brazier, Well, clearly not, because he.
Speaker 4: Wrote my name down, so I maybe trusted him at that point seventy percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it kind of looked like, you know, the wrong alliances, you know, like I think if it was for me, I'd be setting up foundations with the biggest scene stealing villains. I mean I would have gone straight for trying to set something up stronger with George, even though we did see George had your back, and maybe Shannie and maybe even Simon. I don't know. Do you feel like you targeted the wrong people to set up that foundation.
Speaker 4: I definitely feel like I didn't make decisions quick enough. Actually, I kind of saw much of working with each of the villains in different respects, But I definitely could have appealed to Shannie for sure more. I think that's something that I could have tried. George and I actually had a little bit of an instant connection from day one, but I just didn't act quick enough to confirm that we were in alliance. And then, you know, with the secrets of events with Jackie, the poor Dole, the way that she went out with Angelie wanted to keep her in. I personally wanted to keep her in against the rest of the tribe. So it was kind of just survival. Yeah, to put it for better words.
Speaker 1: I think you did have all the right tools to be, you know, a champion survivor player. You know, I felt that from the start. But you know, do you think that other players, I mean, for you, you kind of were saying, I'm going to take this day by day. You know, I saw that summer in the media this morning when I was, you know, before chatting to you, but like, I'm going to take it day by day. And George also said, you know, things change on a dime. But don't you think that some of the other players had plans on plans on plans.
Speaker 4: I think I think Seannie Simon Jordi, I think their plan was to stick with getting rid of the newbies, sorry from day one, so then it was just the returnings lefton and they would make it to merge that way. And then Liz just so happened to obviously being alliance with Shanny really well, and so they took her on board. I think that was their plan. I mean it was quite clear. But yeah, we were just losing numbers, and I would have loved to take a returning out before any of the newbies kept going home, but yeah, didn't have the ammunition.
Speaker 1: What about you thinking about the disadvantage of these returning players. I mean, someone going in there as a returning player, they've walked the walk, they've talked the talk, and they've spent months or even years, some of them rethinking their gameplay. Is it an unfair advantage for them to be in there with newbies?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? I feel, you know, it's like going in with two opponents into a game. One knows all the rules and the other nose half. However, in saying that, I don't think the newbies are completely without an advantage. I think they have with fresh new perspectives of not doing things always the way that they was done. So I think they yeah have fresh pair of eyes and they're not so jaded with the SURVI again, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: You know there was some tension I felt between you and Stevie that we saw, you know, over the first three episodes. Why do you think that tension was there?
Speaker 4: I personally, from my side, I think because I kept seeing that Stevie was Simon's pyekick that really rubbed me the wrong way. And there was a couple of moments where I had conversations with people and Stevie would just go up to Simon and tell him exactly what I said, So that was just another cherry on top. And then it was just his attitude towards me. I don't know about you, but I very much disliked people telling me how to feel, and I would never do that to somebody, so that also rubbed me the wrong way.
Speaker 1: Maybe I don't know. Was it jealousy that he was talking to Simon or do you think that you were just disappointed with the way in which he was treating your friendship?
Speaker 4: Not at all. I actually think it's due to the fact that I wouldn't have been able to trust him one percent. So I think from day one I just didn't have that energy. I knew never to trust him, and he very much went into Simon's lap very quickly, So yeah, it definitely wasn't jealous.
Speaker 1: I'm I can be a jealous person, and I have to delete that about my personality. Like I've gotten to that stage of my life where I have to reality check my jealousy because it's actually a really bad trait of mine. So I can recognize that sometimes and other people. But you know, I'm glad that it's not jealousy. And then I've read that wrong.
Speaker 4: Well down on the self awareness.
Speaker 1: You went in wanting to make some big moves, and that was something that I read before the show even started. You know you've come out of the game a little bit early, but I want to know what have we missed out on? What sort of moves did you have up your sleeve that you might have rolled out so much?
Speaker 4: You're just going to have to get the survivor gods to get me back on the game so you can see what I can do.
Speaker 1: You don't want to tell me in case they bring you back.
Speaker 4: You know what, There's also so many variables, so I can tell you what I could do, but in that particular moment, I probably do something completely opposite depending on what is happening so and who's around, where are my alliance is out, what's my goals and things like that, So there's so many different outcomes.
Speaker 1: Do you think that you do things differently going into the show? Like, I don't know what sort of training you did or whether you could have done more or whatever, But if they were to ask you to go back, what sort of preparation would you do the next time around?
Speaker 4: I definitely okay.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 4: There is one thing that I realized about myself talking about self awareness, is that in there I did let my pride and maybe my ego get in the way a little bit so being a sacrificial lamb from the beginning, being a Ubie, as the Brittanny's called it. I didn't let that get to me sometimes, so for instance, in challenges, you know, when Simon was giving out roles and I would just be one in the back, another little pawn. That got to me a little bit every time. So I think, I really, yeah, I need to pull back my ego in the game. I need to make quick, good decisions, and I think I just need to relax a little bit. I felt really tense. I felt like I lost my personality in there a little bit, which I thought going there would have been my main asset. We all know that hindsight's bloody twenty twenty, but I feel like hindsight's a little bit useless most of the time because you know it's already happened.
Speaker 1: So George and Seannie, you know, making some really great television. Do you think that are they who they are? Like I said, there's such big characters for us to watch on television.
Speaker 4: This is a very interesting question. I mean, I definitely think how they've been depicted are their survivor players. You know, Seannie's very sweet, but she's also a huge lethal player, and you don't know what she's saying behind your back, but towards your face she is the sweetest girl. She's the sweetest girl in real life, but as a player, she can definitely switch between facades. George, Yeah, George is a very emotional and dramatic player. I don't know if that's the right word that I would use, but you know, he's very theatrical. He loves a moment, he loves a drama. But he is also very strategic and he knows how to play the survivor game. Look at him, find that idol. He knew exactly where to look so which I was struggling with in that forest.
Speaker 1: What's interesting to me about George is the ability to stand in situations that are clearly very awkward. How awkward were those moments in real life?
Speaker 4: I was okay about it purely because you know what, I think that's actually an advantage of George, because he gets into the end of the conversation, so he hears a little bit and yeah, it is awkward, but he also gets a little bit of intel and he starts to learn who were with whom and what they're kind of saying. Even though it's not the whole context, so I think actually works out for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Stevee. Stevie also said what are we doing wrong? You know, it was a really good point that he brought up. And you know, going into you know the next episode that we'll see next week, you know, four people have gone from the villain tribe. I mean, if we can look back and see what you guys have done wrong, what do you think that that is from your perspective?
Speaker 4: I mean, I definitely witness throughout the challenges, we just weren't a team. If you look at the hero's team, they actually work together to get through the challenges. But for us, I think it's just getting through them to get to the end and thinking individually rather than as one as a team. There's a huge difference. We know that in any organization or any team sport, if you're not collaborative, you won't win because it's a team sport. At the end of the day, it's a team sport and it's individual. But you've got to make sure that you give the right balance to both of them when the time's right, and in challenges, we really needed the team work.
Speaker 1: It'll be interesting to see how these teams are going to disintegrate. I mean, Simon's playing quite similar to the first season he was in, and it seems like he may not have learned as many lessons as what he could have, while Jordi really has been learning from his mistakes last time. And it's interesting to sort of see their relationship evolving, but I kind of feel like that's going to implode, and watching the Tribal Council last night, I think that was the first sign that Jordie looked at Simon and was like, this guy's will lose cannon. What do you think is going to evolve from the relationship between those two.
Speaker 4: I mean, I agree with you, they've got a romance now, but you know them two being very two different players in this season, I think that'll clash, and I don't think Jordie will want to go down with Simon. I think Jordie will go the complete opposite way and they'll probably turn.
Speaker 1: On each other sooner rather than later.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know, depending on how the girls go, depending on how good that George and Shoonni relationship is well.
Speaker 1: Normally at this point, I ask people, what is it behind the scenes question? But we don't want to peel the onion on Australian Survivor. We don't want to reveal anything because it's just such a magic show. So instead I've just been asking people, you know, who their pick is to win. So who do you think, Not what you might know now, but when you, you know, walked out and you put out your fire, put out your torch, who did you think was possibly going to win this at the end.
Speaker 4: Definitely a villain. I don't see a hero winning unfortunately. I think that's a little bit too boring, too traditional. I mean, I do think Seannie has a huge chance. She's played three times, she's the most experienced out of all of them. She's been on the island or whichever location for the longest. She's a fighter, so she has a huge chance.
Speaker 1: And the other question I was going to ask you, because you mentioned this before, is if you came back and they did another season of Survivor, what's the theme that you think you would be brought back with.
Speaker 4: That is a tough one and a good question. Maybe something to do with vengeance, or maybe to do something with people who didn't get or who went home too early. I'm very open to things, though, the more creative the better.
Speaker 1: Just don't you love that this show is you know, everyone that doesn't wants to go back, Like it's not one of those shows where people go, oh god, I wish I didn't do it, or regardless as to how the cookie crumbles and then we have it, everyone would love to come back. And I think that that's a testament to the type of show that this is.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I mean, it was so weird. I've been saying, you know, I was like a little kid playing an arcade game. Every time I lost. Well, when I lost, I just wanted to put more coins in and play again. But you can't do that with Survivor. You do that with arcade games. But yeah, I definitely had that addiction feel where I just wanted to play again.
Speaker 1: Well, I love it and I'd look forward to watching you. I think that you know, you were fantastic on the show and you should be very proud of what you did. So I thank you so much for joining me today to chat about it.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me. Really enjoyed it.