Speaker 1: Many years ago, we really only had one type of yogurt. Now the shelves are packed with high protein yogurt, Greek yogurt, soy yogurt, lactose free yogurt, kids yogurt, fruit yogurt, pro goo to yogurt, and of course dairy free yogurt. Hi. I'm leanne Wood and I'm Size Burrow, and as Silverstra's leading dieticians, we bring you the Nutrition Couch Product Review, a weekly chat on new products and old favorites that you can find at the SIEP markets. Well, we've come a long way with dairy free yogurts in the past few years Suzie as consumer demand increase it and today we've got three popular products for our listeners at home. Our first one is the Woolly's own brand Plantitude. Now we've previously reviewed their delicious plant based vegan cookies delicious but not so nutritious on the podcast, so I thought we'd go with the same brand and look at their dairy free coconut strawberry yogurt. So this is of course wool West branded, so it's only available at Woolworst. It's five dollars for five hundred grants and of course it's a strawberry coconut dairy free flavor. So when we look at the ingredient SUSI, it is forty two percent coconut milk followed by water. It's got five percent strawberry pulp in there. It's also got sugar, corn starch, natural flavor, natural color from beet red to give it that nice red color, acidity regulators, and some lactic starter culture. So ingredient list, you know, isn't too bad. It's got a two and a half health Star rating and fifty percent of ingredients are Australian ingredients. Now looking at per serving, so per serving is two hundred gram so it's just you know, under sort of half the types. It's actually pretty large. Serving two hundred grams, we've got eight hundred and eighty three kilodeles for energy, and we've got one point two grams of protein, fifteen point four grams of fat, with twelve of that being saturated, so quite a high amount of saturated fat because of the base of coconut milk. To start with, we've got seventeen point two grams of carbohydrates, with eleven point six grams of that sugar and some of that is actually added sugar as well. There's quite a high sugar load in a yogurt product, obviously minimal dietary fiber, and only a small amount of sodium forty two grams, which we're not too concerned about. So overall, I wouldn't think that this is my favorite plant based yogurt SUSI. It's not fortified at all. We just in our previous segment talked about how important calcium was on a plant based diet, so this probably isn't my favorite one. It does have quite a lot of added sugar. It is quite energy dense as well. I don't know. I haven't tried it. I haven't you know, I haven't thought about the taste. Hopefully it's delicious, our listeners might write in and let us know. But it's also not too it's not on the budget friendly side. Is it either you know, five dollars or five hundred grams, it's not I wouldn't exactly say it as budget friendly.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the concern is that really nutritionally, it's not similar to what we would traditionally think of as yogurt, which would be a fermented dairy. Now it's a challenging area because for people who don't want to include dairy in their diet and they do want to a yoga it, it's sort of like, well, it's not the same thing, and that's certainly what we've seen historically with coconut based yogurt. And so the best way I can think to compare it is as a dessert, you know, in terms of saturated fat content, and I agree, two hundred grams is a massive serving. You know, you'd probably be more than satisfied on one hundred. But this isn't a product that I use with any of my plant based clients. If they do love coconut yogurt, are very clear to say it's really not yogurt. There's no protein, there's no calcium generally speaking, it in this instance, it's really quite high and added sugars and also really high and saturated fat is as a reference point, you know, you wouldn't be wanting more than say twenty grams maybe thirty if saturated fat per day maximum. So this is you know, getting close to half that in a product that you would think is quite healthy. So I would just put this in a dessert category. If you love it, have it very occasionally, but it certainly wouldn't be any of my shopping lists or recommendations for one of my clients.
Speaker 1: And that's a really good point, Like it is very hard to get a plant based yogurt that is nutritionally similar to something like, you know, actual Greek yoga. I mean, I know we've got soy yogurt, but let's be honest, Susi Soi yogurt is not pleasant to taste. I mean, if there's a brand out there that is delicious, please send it my way. I'm more than happy to try it. But I have been very offended by sow yogurts in the past. I do not find them very tasty at all. So I really like your point about putting this in the dessert category because nutritionally it's not strong at all, is it. It's very similar to something we'd find in the dessert aisle.
Speaker 2: Well, it's misleading because it appears in the yogat section, and so consumers will go and think, oh, it's the same, and it so couldn't be more fundamentally different. You know, they don't even add any calcium to it, which I've never been sure if it's because the calcium won't mix well with coconut. I wondered if it was actually binding issue, because you would at least try and add some nutrients to it. But you know, a serve of typical yogat would have at least five, probably closer to eight or ten grams of protein, right up to twenty grams per serve, and this has barely got one, you know, so nutritionally it offers very little other than a hardy dose of calories and then sat fat. So, as I said, nothing really good I can say about it, And I'm actually surprised it's got two and a half health stars? How are they getting those?
Speaker 1: Where?
Speaker 2: How they getting too and a half health stars?
Speaker 1: From what I imagine some strawberry pop. It's got a bit of fruit in there, perhaps five percent.
Speaker 2: Come on, that's dodgy in itself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you'll be quite shocked by the second product I've chosen today, Suzi. This is probably one of the more popular dairy free brands. It's a co Yo brand, so we're looking at the Greek style coconut yogurt in the Coyo brand. So I thought this was this interesting because it picked my interest because it said Greek style, So I didn't really look at the nutritionals. I just went, yeah, this is a great one to review. Let's actually see if it matches up to what we would call the marketing on the front of the label. So it is normally twelve dollars for nine hundred grams, but this week is on sale, will work for ten dollars, so twelve dollars that's quite expensive. It's twelve dollars dollars R Yeah, are you sure? Yes, yes, this is a very popular brand, but it is more one of those sort of boogie styles. It is quite expensive. It is organic as well, so you know, we do know organic products do cost a lot more. So it's a Coyo organic coconut yogurt, Greek style yogurt. So we've got organic coconut cream fifty two percent, so that's a lot. The other one was based on coconut milk. This is coconut cream. That's a heavy amount of saturated fat. Without having looking at the nutritional panel, we've got followed by water, organic coconut milk, powder, organic tapiocre starch, and live cultures. So I do like the addition of the live cultures. This is a pretty you know, quote unquote clean ingredient list, But I can I know exactly what the nutrition panel has got to say as to use Suzi, just from looking at the fifty two percent coconut cream so per serving, and bear in mind that the serving size is only one hundred gram, so it's half the amount of the woolst plantitude one per serving. We've got seven hundred and sixteen kilodels, so the amount of calories or kilodols in it Suzi is very similar and it's half the amount in terms of serving size. We've got less than a gram of protein, sixteen grams of total fat with fifteen point two grams of saturated fat. That is an incredibly high amount of saturated fat per hundred gram serving. We've got six grams of carbs, especially quite a low amount of carbohydrate because it is such a high fat product, with one point four grams of that being sugar, So there's actually no added sugar in this product, which is nice, obviously, no dietary fiber, and a very minimal amount six milligrams of sodium, which you know we wouldn't even really consider. So overall, Susie it packs a punch in terms of calories and saturated fat. If you had a child that was dairy free and needed to gain weight, this is probably a good option for them because it is quite calorie dense. But if your goal this fat loss, I would be running for the hills away from this product. Suzi, Like, fifteen grams of saturated fat and one hundred gram serving is monster, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It's good for ketogenic diet. If you want a joukito, you could absolutely use this. Yeah, it's it's terrible, Like it's got almost your entire upper daily recommended intake of saturated fat in one hundred grams, which is tiny it that's about half a cup. You know, this brand, people love it. It's been around, you know. Obviously they're paying twelve dollars for it. Some people love it. There's nothing positive nutritionally I could say about it. The only people I could think who could call Prayed into their diet regime would be large males who are fully on keto.
Speaker 1: Or young children needing to gain weight.
Speaker 2: Well, even then, there's better choices, you know, for kids to gain weight, you'd say avocado nutspread. You know, I wouldn't be reaching for this for even for them. As I said, the only people I can imagine using this product with this pe full adult male and not female because two high in calories for them and too high in carb overall. Really on a Keto plan for women. For men, a large male who was on full keto I could use it. That's the only person.
Speaker 1: And even looking at the addition of the live cultures, I mean it's got Greek style yoga. You would hope that there's some live cultures in there, but I don't think it really has much of a probotic addition at all. Like they haven't said what cultures, they haven't said the amount. I honestly think there's just the tiniest little sprinkle of live cultures in there. I don't think it is even remotely similar to natural Greek style yogurt. So I would definitely not be buying this for the live yogat cultures or the gut health benefits. I really don't think you're going to get many in this at all. I think the Greek style is more just a marketing kind of con if we will, because there's no mention of how many cultures, what types, what bacteria is actually in there as well, So I definitely wouldn't be buying this for the gut health benefits because I don't think there really are many in this product.
Speaker 2: No, that's a fair call. And this is the problem with putting it near the yogurt. It really needs to be in a separate section. I think nutritionally it's really misleading.
Speaker 1: But Susie Saving Grace our third product. This is a new one in the supermarkets and it's very interesting because you'd read the front of label and just like the previous one, you'd probably think, oh, well, you know, it's no good, it's all just marketing, fuzzy buzzy. But it's got five Hellstars Suzi, which you know hellstars have a positive and a negative you know, association with them. But you know, if it's got five hell Stars compared to similar products in their niche, so with other non dairy type yogurts, it's got to be quite good. So it's the Vitas Greek style soy yogurt, the plain, thick and creamy Greek style type. So it's got ninety three percent Australian ingredients, so I love that it's based on mostly Aussie ingredients. It does have a few extra ingredients in there, But I think it's all building more nutritious products. So when we look at the ingredient list, we've got filtered soy milk, We've got whole soy beans at least sixteen percent. We've got soy protein in there three point two percent. We've got sugar, cocoa, butter, stabilizers, minerals, calcium phosphates, so great that it's actually a little bit fortified. We've got natural flavors, sea salt, live vegan cultures, vitamins vitamin D and vitamin B twelve, which are really important if you're at a plant based diet. We've got there's a live vegan cultures, are yogurt cultures, S thermopolis, L Bolgius, probotic cultures, B lactics. So the fact that they've even just named the cultures in there is ten, you know, plus points compared to the other product. So their serving size is one hundred and forty gram so forty grams more than their COO brand five hundred and six kilodels, so two hundred kilodels less for forty grams more, which we love, so you get to eat more. So if the goal is fat loss, that's wonderful you're eating more for less calories or less kilodels. We've got nine point four four grams of protein for the one hundred and forty grams serving, which is excellent, six point four grams of fat with two point one of them being saturated to a lot better fat mix. Six point two grams of carbohydrate, so quite low carbohydrate compared to even traditional yogurt, with two point eight of that being sugar. We know that most of that's added sugar, which two point eight grams per serving, Susie, is actually quite low. So I'd be more than happy to recommend that minimal dietary fiber and sodium at ninety five milligrams. So I think this is absolutely our winner and our standout non dairy yogurt for today, Susie, just in terms of it's lower it's lower energy, it's higher protein, it's fortified with calcium, vitamin D B twelve, and it's got our live cultures in there as well. To me, this is a standard I probably wouldn't recommend anything else for, you know, my plant based clients or my dairy free clients.
Speaker 2: Well, let's be honest, there has been few excited dietitians for a product launch as this product is generated, because I'll tell you why. If you're a dietitian and you have someone who doesn't have or tolerate, and you're trying to give them snack foods and get their calcium and protein up, you're so limited because you can't use cheese, you can't use milk, and so we have not had a plant based yoga that we I think you and I reviewed when an activ or one when we first started the Bready, but that's not available anymore, and that didn't have anywhere near the amount of protein. So finally we've got one, and that this comes in both flavored varieties and nutritionally it's really strong. Now I'm not a soy person, I don't know how it tastes, but I can say online it's going crazy, which makes me think that they've done an amazing job at formulating something that tastes good, lu likely and it's nutritionally really strong, with ting grams of protein, perserve, minimal added sugars. You know the only thing though, why have they not labeled my calcium on here?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I just pulled a nutrition panel from Wollworth Online website so it might actually label it on Let's just have a quick.
Speaker 2: Look, because I actually looked it up and I think it is there, so you're right. Maybe it's just not on the Wooly site, but actually from memory because I looked it up, think it's all right too.
Speaker 1: And I forgot to menage the prices so per little one hundred and forty gram pots, so they're in the single serve little pots two dollars seventy So it is actually I would say more of an expensive option, but absolutely you know quality. I would say good money spent if you're someone who needed a dairy free yogurt, so cause I've just pulled it up on Wallas online. So per one hundred and forty gram serving. So for the little tub, we've got one hundred and sixty eight milligrams of calcium, so lower than what we'd like, but still a good amount. We've got point two eight micrograms of B twelve and one microgram of vitamin D, so we're getting. Yeah, when you look at the adult RDI as, you're getting roughly just over twenty percent of calcium, fourteen percent RDI B twelve, and about ten percent of your vitamin DBI so RDI and in terms of prodic count we've got one hundred and forty million CFUs in terms of the probotic, so that it's just a great nutritious, well rounded product. I must admit I haven't tried it, but I really I'm just praying that it stacks up in terms of taste because nutritionally, Susie, it's so strong, it's it's got to be the best one on the market Australia at the moment.
Speaker 2: It's outstanding and just well done to Vita Soil. You know, we're very critical of companies at times, but credit where credits due. We have been desperate for a decent plant based yoga that offers what we're looking for, which is protein, calcy vitamin B twelve. This is a really strong choice. Nutritionally, they've done outstanding to formulate it. We've got a plain variety, we've got a flavored variety, and you know, for good reason, it's got five health stars. So this will certainly be in the meal plans of many of my dairy free slash plant based diets in the future.
Speaker 1: And like we always say, guys, supermarkets stock products based on demand. If you are dairy free. If you live a cramp blazed lifetyle, buy this in bulk, give it a shout out, child and socials, tell your friends and family to buy. If you don't buy it, just like that activity yogurt were reviewed, it will go out of stock and there will be no more so even if it's not the best tasting thing in the world, add some cereal to it, add some fruit to it, I don't know, put some choc chips and it make it taste a bit better. Get it down by it so it can stick around on the shelves because it is a great nutritious product for our non dairy listeners at home. So absolutely get your family and friends to buy it so it sticks around a little bit longer. But only we're worst not Coles at the moment. Yeah I hope hopefully, yeah hopefully, But at the moment, just at well West yeap.
Speaker 2: So if you look at if you're struggling to find it, you gotta go to Willies.
Speaker 1: Wonderful Well Susy. That brings us to the end of the Nutrition Couch product review for another week. Remember, guys, you can subscribe to the podcast. You can send us your questions through Instagram and Facebook. We're more than happy to take listen to questions of the week, product reviews of the week, and absolutely do not miss our fabulous live events in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. They are coming up very soon and tickets are available on our website, which is the nutritioncouch dot com. We cannot wait to meet you all, maybe coming to Brisbine, Sydney or Melbourne. Mia will be there as well if you want to give her a little hello, come and meet mea come and meet Susie and night. We would love to have a chat and say hello. And of course we have epic goodybags Susie ep we do. All right, guys, we'll catch you next week.
Speaker 2: Have a great week. The Storm cont