Speaker 1: You've got to realize that like everybody starts from the same place, everybody starts at zero, right, everybody's building themselves into whatever it is that they're doing. I think the people who make it and people who are successful are just the ones that stick with it.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome back to the Rise and Conker Podcast. It is your host, Georgie Stephenson. As some of you may know, I'm currently on maternity leave, so Tim and I are soaking up the newborn bubble and new parent life with our little baby girl. But I did not want to leave my ron C fan with nothing, so we are bringing back the best bits of the Right and Conquered podcasts. We have nearly over two hundred episodes, so I thought it would be a cool idea to bring you snippets from the most listened to, the most talked about episodes and just give you the best bits in a mini episode. So be prepared to get straight into juicy topics, to feel inspired, to feel motivated, empowered, and of course informed. These episodes are shorter, but they're just full of the best bits. If you did like this mini app, make sure you go to the show notes, where we have linked the full episode, and I just want to say I really appreciate you guys still supporting the show while I'm taking some time off to enjoy Baby Girl, and I just can't wait to be back in your ears with fresh episodes in the new year. We have been planning the next season and there are so many exciting guests and surprises coming up. So I really hope you enjoy this mini episode. Let's get straight into the show.
Speaker 3: I love the fact that you it wasn't until your fourth book that you said, you know, girl Code, that it really took off. And I think that is huge because I think a lot of us, you know, we put something out there and if it doesn't you know, take off or do as well as we thought, we stop and we don't keep going. And I think it is so huge that you kept going and you kept writing for yourself and obviously, you know, for your community, and it wasn't just you know, an overnight success, but you kept going and look what happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah totally.
Speaker 1: And I did it, you know, not just for me, but I did it because I knew that I had to prove to other women that they could do it too. I really felt in my head because at that point, remember I had built up the blog, I was coaching, so it was really connecting with women out there, and I was like, I've got to just do this, and you know, kind of like set the path for people to realize that you don't need anyone behind you. You really can make this happen for yourself. And I think now years later, looking at the way business and entrepreneurship has changed, that is the path of choice for many people. People now are realizing, I don't even need a publisher. Why would I give away so much control and so much of the profit of my books?
Speaker 4: You know, same thing for musicians.
Speaker 1: And it's just been Yeah, it's just been such a such an interesting way to.
Speaker 4: To really run a business.
Speaker 1: And it's been such a vote of confidence for me as well, you know, because like you've got to get behind yourself when you put yourself out there, like it's like it's.
Speaker 4: All on you. You handle the good, the bad, the in between.
Speaker 1: And you know, sometimes going on Amazon and reading reading those like scathing reviews that I randomly will get from people who just feel the needs for me apart. You know, like it's you got to handle all that, you got to be prepared for it and have a thick skin. But I tell you it's like, honestly one of the most rewarding experiences ever because knowing that you put that faith behind yourself, it just makes you feel unstoppable.
Speaker 2: Like you would say you crowned yourself.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, And we all need to crown ourselves.
Speaker 1: You know. It's like if you don't do it, who will, right, Like we can't wait around.
Speaker 4: Life is so short.
Speaker 1: And that's like something I remind myself of every time I start something new, because like I am multi passionate and I do love dipping my toes into new industries and new waters and new passions.
Speaker 4: But it can be scary. We all get a little bit of the imposter syndrome.
Speaker 1: But you've got to realize that like everybody starts from the same place. Everybody starts at zero, right, everybody's building themselves into whatever it is that they're doing. I think the people who make it and people who are successful are just the ones that stick with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love.
Speaker 3: That, and so talk us through. I know that you said you self published all your books and girl Code started to take off, and then like you said, Penguin pick that up and then I know that you did publish your book like She Owns the Place, which is also one of my favorites, and you went through a publisher, but then your most recent book, Girl on Fire, was then self published. Can you talk us through why that was and what sort of happened there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So, like She on the Place is the book I did with Penguin.
Speaker 1: So I did that book from start to finish with them, and I had an interesting experience. I had a great editor and I love her and she's amazing, and she helped that book become what it is, but there were other things about the process that I really just did not prefer. You know, it takes much longer to work with the publisher, So you're looking at about a year and a half from when you sign your contract to when that book is going to be out there. You are dealing with a lot more people that have interest in the way that the book is going to be brought out to the world, from the cover to the editing to the marketing plan. You know, you're dealing with people who you know, there were working with so many other authors, right, Like, no one is ever going to be as excited about your work as you are. So when you're working with a team who's you know, dealing with other authors and you know, maybe not fully understanding your vision, that can be a little bit frustrating. And also, I mean, financially, it just makes so much more sense to self publish. You know, you're really giving the line and share of the royalties away when you enter into a book deal. But for me, it was a strategic move and it was a dream that I had to realize and it was something I needed to like just do for myself.
Speaker 4: But it did lead me.
Speaker 1: To realize that I preferred being an independent author and I prefer self publishing, and that's what Girl on Fire really was all about. I did that book after my experience with a publisher, and the whole you know, ethos of the book is really about blazing your own trail and not needing anyone and recognizing that success really is lies within you. It doesn't, you know, you're not going to find success in some external outcome. I think from me, I still had that dream like, well, once I'm with a publisher, then I'm like a quote real author, But that was just untrue. So Throw on Fire, I think, to me, that's my most favorite book. It's I think it's the best one that I've written, and I think there was just so much heart and energy that I poured into that coming off the heels of that experience that I did have being published. And I hope that it inspires women to realize that, you know, they've got to give themselves the permission that they think they need, right Like, you've got to just figure out like how to do it, how to move forward and not lead on anyone else to pick.
Speaker 3: You one hundred percent. And yes, that is definitely like I could feel the energy coming out of Gella on Fire, and I love how like you turn that around so fast. I can remember you talking about it and then it was out and I was like, yes, I love how fast.
Speaker 4: That process was.
Speaker 3: And I think it's so interesting, Like you said, you really came full circle, like you at the start your self publishing and all you wanted to do was have a public the show and have that book deal and you know, that book signing and those book parties and that sort of thing, and then you realize that you didn't actually need that, And I think that is it's huge, and I love that you share the journey with your audience and us.
Speaker 2: Okay, rn C, fam, we're just having a quick break. We will get back into the episode in one second. But firstly I have to ask you. Do you get enough sleep? Do you wake up feeling charged and rested? Do you fool to sleep easily? Do you struggle to wind down your mind before bed? If you're answering these questions and you're like, oh, Georgie, no, I don't get enough sleep, I can't wind down. I really struggle with all these issues. Thank girlfriend, you need to get onto Moon Milk. So if you guys have me on so you would know this is probably my favorite Naked Harvest product. So moon Milk was born in twenty nineteen when I myself really struggled and suffered from insomnia and basically switching off at bedtime. This was in the very beginning of Naked Harvest, so I had a lot going on. My mind was running wild, and I really struggled to get good sleep. And we know when you don't get good sleep, everything else suffers. So if you don't get good sleep, you're tied during the day, you're more hungry, you're more moody, you can't process things well, you can't think as well, so I knew I had to get my sleep sorted. I sat down with Cooper and our food tech and I kind of said, guys, we have to develop a product that is obviously or natural. I know there's so many unique herbs and minerals and vitamins that we could include that just helps your body unwind and recover during the night. A big thing with this is I said, also, is I want something I can have at night while I'm watching Netflix that taste delicious that also takes away you know that feeling of you're not hungry, but you want something sweet. I'm such a sweet tooth, So we also wanted to make sure it was that side of things, so introducing Moon milk. It is gluten free, dairy free, refined, sugar free, vegan, and all natural so honestly has no nasties. It tastes like the most delicious hot chocolate, it has no dairy in it, and get ready to have the best sleeps of your life. It's also really nice because even though it's a natural product, you definitely feel the difference. I can notice such a big difference of when I take it and when I don't. We've just the deepness of my sleep, feeling restless, tossing and turning, and also feeling tired before bed. I'm someone who's super wired most of the time, so it's so nice to have a moonmilk, sit down, watch Netflix and feel that wave of tiredness and go, yes, it is time to sleep. So guys, there are three new flavors with moon Milk. I am so excited. So the Ogi is chocolate. It's everyone's favorite. The next flavor is as salted Caramel. We wanted to do this for the lovers of caramel. Obviously, it's got a very unique, yummy flavor. If you're assaulted caramel gal, that is for you. Next up is vanilla Chai, So this one if you're a chi person. It also has like a twist of maple in there, so very very sweet. And then our last flavor that is new and I'm going to say it's my favorite, is Rocky Road. So basically think Ogi moonmilk with a hint of lollies of marshmallows, Like you literally smell it and it smells like Rocky Road. I'm not like the biggest Rocky Road person, but oh my god, this flavor will blow your mind. So, guys, if you're not getting good sleep, if you struggle to wind down, or if you just want something sweet before bed that you know is going to calm your mind and do really amazing things for your body, and it will mean that you will have a very productive next day. You have to try Moon Milk. I do have a code for my iron c fam. It is rise and conquer at checkout to get a sneaky dissy. You will not regret it. There are hundreds and hundreds of positive reviews from the NH gang who will also obsess. So come join us. You will not regret it at all. Let's get straight back into the show.
Speaker 3: I would love to pick your brain about on on the RNC pod. We love giving actionable tips to our audience, and so I would love for you to give advice to the listeners who are possibly facing judgment for wanting to pursue a typical, you know, risky path like giving up a solid job or a quote unquote safe job to pursue a dream, much like me and you did after leaving corporate. What advice would you give them?
Speaker 1: So you need to start with a crystal clear vision. You have to know exactly what it is that you want and where you're going, and you got to be really cautious of who you share that vision with. You know, I think that a lot of people like to share and like to do what I call pull different people, right like, do you think I should do this?
Speaker 4: Do you think I should quit my job? Do you think I should start this business?
Speaker 1: You're going to wind up just finding yourself in a worse place than you were before. Your head is going to be spinning. I made this mistake when I was first, you know, getting ready to leave MTV.
Speaker 4: So be really cautious of who you share this dream with.
Speaker 1: Maybe pick one or two people that you're going to bounce these ideas off of that you really trust, you know, someone to share the vision with. I think it is important if you can find at least one person to share with, so.
Speaker 4: Create that vision really like, you know.
Speaker 1: Pick your team, so to speak, right like the you know, your inspiration motivation team.
Speaker 4: And then set small goals.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: One of the things I love about coaching is inspiring my clients to pick small goals and stick with them and let those goals build momentum. So when I was leaving MTV, I knew that I wanted to hit a certain income goal for myself, and I started small. So you know, it's like, Okay, I want to make an extra five hundred dollars this month. Okay, the next month, Let's see if I can make one thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: A month after that? Can I make two thousand dollars? You know?
Speaker 1: And figure out how you're going to make it happen. What are the revenue streams you're going to bring in, what's your plan? You know?
Speaker 4: So when you.
Speaker 1: See yourself, you know, on this plan, and when you see yourself hitting those goals, I think that really builds the confidence to know that you can do whatever you want to do. I think taking action is probably the most important thing. So even if that action for that week looks like making a phone call to someone or asking someone for coffee to see if you could chat with them about something or pick their brain, or like just taking a half hour for yourself and taking a journal and writing out what that vision looks like for your future. But staying in motion, I think the worst thing we could do is just stay in our heads and start to over analyze. You know, it's the term analysis paralysis. We start overthinking things. So just commit to action and realize that every action step counts. It doesn't have to be this big, huge goal that you're working towards every single week. As long as you're working and moving forward, you're on the right path, and you're honestly, like further along than most people are because most people, unfortunately, do stay in their heads and they you know, I think the saddest thing is like when people come to the end of their life and they feel like they haven't.
Speaker 4: Reached the goals they wanted to reach. So they have these dreams.
Speaker 1: They haven't you been able to make happen, and they have regret. So keeping that also top of mind is really important. I talked about a study in one of my books about this. You know, this nurse who worked with these patients at the end of their lives, and it's called the I think it's It was a study and I think it turned into a book, and it was called The Top Regrets of the Dying, and the number one regret was that people felt they didn't live a life.
Speaker 4: That was true to themselves.
Speaker 1: And I always remind myself of that story and that study because it's just I mean, I can't even imagine feeling that way. So whenever I don't want to work or I don't want to take that step.
Speaker 4: Or create that small goal for myself, I just.
Speaker 1: Really refocus and go back to my vision and think about how I want to feel in my life and what I'm capable of creating, and that just gives me the strength and the you know, the power to move forward.
Speaker 3: I love that, and I love what you said at the start about creating that momentum because I think, you know, like when I get this question too, the biggest thing I kind of trying to explain is, yeah, of course it feels risky, and of course it feels scary when you haven't you know, even taken that small step. But then you just put one foot in front of the other, and you know, it gets easier and you have those small winds, and then from those small winds you're able to create momentum and get to the biggest staff, if that makes.
Speaker 1: Sense exactly exactly. It really is all about those small steps that add up. It's never just one big moove. It's just it's tedious that it's time consuming, but if you want it bad enough.
Speaker 4: It's worth it.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening for another rn C episode. I really appreciate taking the time to be here with me, and also for taking the time for yourself. If you found this episode helpful, it would be so amazing if you shared it on your stories and tagged us, or simply just send it on to a girlfriend or family member who would benefit from listening. We are an independent podcast run by me and my amazing podcast manager, so it would mean the world to us if you left a review on the Apple podcast app. Also, if you're vibing this podcast and the concepts we're chatting about, and your craving community, please come and join us over at the rn C podcast community Facebook group. Just search Rise and Conquer podcast community on Facebook and I will be in there to chat to you until next time. The cont