Speaker 1: Welcome back to TV Reload. My name's Benjamin Norris, and on this podcast, I'll be going behind the scenes with the biggest players in television.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I want to kick off today's podcast by shouting out to all of those people who may be locked down at the moment. COVID is such a pain in our lives, and I hope above everything else that these podcasts are keeping you company. I hear from a lot of people who are living alone and I'm glad that I can connect with you in this way. So keep up those messages. I absolutely love hearing from you. Last week's episode was really insightful with a look behind Australian's story on the ABC. If you missed it, flip back and check it out for no other reason but to see how a TV show can survive on Telly for twenty five years. If you're looking around for a good podcast this week, I would love to recommend that you check out Patreon and see if your favorite podcast is there for you to get some bonus episodes. Podcasts like Unpopular and Juicy Scoop are featured there and worth subscribing to and getting that extra content. This week on the small screen, I've been keeping up with White Lotus on Binge and rewatching Lux Listing Sydney on Amazon Prime as I'm going to have Gavin on the podcast next week, so I'm very excited about that. I was also really lucky to see a preview of Nine Perfect Strangers and Cruel Summer, which are both going to be on Amazon Prime. You really need to get that streaming service as when Nine Perfect Strangers drops, you won't want to miss it, and that comes out on August twentieth. This week, I have Network ten's The Bachelor, Jimmy Nicholson on the show. He's a breath of fresh air and I'm sure you're going to love him. Channel ten launched the new series of The Bachelor on Wednesday, and it certainly feels like classic batchy but with a real sense of romance and some genuine connections. We will find out how you become the Bachelor and what happens behind the scenes of the show. I'll also find out Jimmy's side hustle when he's not flying. He really is from another world. The Bachelor is on Channel ten Wednesday and Thursday nights from seven thirty Eastern Standard Time, and if you want to catch up on previous episodes. It's on ten play on demand. However, let's get started with one of Australia's most talked about bachelor's. I'd like to welcome to the podcast. It's Jimmy Nicholson.
Speaker 2: Would you be interested in going on a dating show?
Speaker 1: Your newest bachelor is on the runway to Romance.
Speaker 2: So I actually just wrote back and said, oh, look, I'm sorry, but I think maybe we'll just leave it.
Speaker 1: How will he fair in his search for life?
Speaker 2: They do get some great girls on there, so I wanted it.
Speaker 1: You can feel the tension.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just wanted to be myself and be my own person.
Speaker 1: And previously on The Bachelor.
Speaker 2: I don't want it to get out because I do want people to genuinely enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Hey mate, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm good. I'm excited. It's good to finally be able to see myself on Telly and see it all unfold the days come?
Speaker 1: When and how did you get approached to do The Bachelor?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: I don't even know how this happens.
Speaker 2: I was approached in about November last year. I had a message on Instagram from a talent scout that just said would you be interested in going on a dating show? And I replied, which one, because there's some dating show that I wouldn't want to go on, and they said it was The Bachelor, and I thought, yeah, this is Actually it's quite good timing. I'm really ready to have that. I've been in a long term relationship. I've had that really important time off a couple of years doing my own thing, and I thought, actually, I might be able to get the time off as well from work with everything that's going on. So yeah, I just I just went for it and the rest is history.
Speaker 1: I'll lockdown a girlfriend on national television whilst COVID's happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, it was. It was an interesting year for a lot of us last year. So I know that the Bachelor franchise it works. They've got some couples on there that have had numerous babies, marriages and everything to come out of it. So I did know they get some great girls on there, and I thought, why not, Let's just let's see what happens and hopefully I meet someone and.
Speaker 1: I have you can recommend it to people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, I there'd no judgment from me when it doesn't work out. With people because there's a lot that has to work after the show as well, and after the cameras stop, a lot of compatibility levels that you don't you can't charge on the show, and you know, you see what someone's like when the cameras are off, and that's the true test, I think, and with stronger and stronger and stronger, and yeah, so it works, which is crazy.
Speaker 1: I want to know, is there much convincing that needs to happen? I mean, you get hit up on Instagram to be the Bachelor, you know, that's one thing, But then what happens next? Do they pull you aside, do they come and meet you? And did you say yes straight away? Or did it take some convincing?
Speaker 2: Look, I said, look, I'd be interested. Let's see what happens. And then I found out a little bit more about the show, and we did some video interviews and I did a day in the Life of Jimmy video and send that to them, and then that was like it went on for a few months, and then by the end of it, I was pretty invested, Like I thought, this is going to be a great opportunity. You know, I've done this work for it, and yeah, they do get some great girls on there, so I wanted it. And then when they finally gave him the nod, the next step was trying to get the time off work. And so they were really really helpful because I think they were pretty keen to get me on board. And yeah, we're fortunate that my company were flexible and gave me the time off.
Speaker 1: I remember getting the phone call to do Big Brother and I rang work and said, oh, can I catch up and have a meeting? And I was like, can I please request some time off? And they were like how much time? And I was like, could be a week, could be three months, and said I was doing Big Brother And the look on their face was wow, that's I mean, it's to do reality television. You know, you could say you want to do it, but then actually telling people that's what's happening is another thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is, And for me, I guess I'm fortunate that I knew how long I was needed for, so you know, it was three months, and with everything that happened last year, under normal circumstances, there's not a chance in hell that I'd be able to get three months off work. So I was really fortunate. I think it was for the girls saying to their employees employers, rather, I need some time off. It could be a week, it could be three months. Like it's a little bit. It's a different ball game.
Speaker 1: I may never come back.
Speaker 2: True. Yeah, that's it. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: What has been your most failed attempt to find love before this show? You know, let's talk dating apps bars. What's your most failed dating look?
Speaker 2: I have, you know before been rejected? So that's always, you know, when you like someone and then they just they give you the cold shoulder. That's always big, rough, and it kind of makes you want them even more, doesn't it, Like it's just I think one particular story for me was that I was supposed to go on a date with a girl who I was I can't remember how I met her, but it was online. I think it was on Instagram and we were chatting and whoever slipped in Whoever's DM first? I don't know, very very pretty girl, and I said, let's go for a let's go and have dinner at an Italian restaurant. I think it's a nice, like low key first state and going into it. Guys pay the first date. It's fine, it is what it is, you know, it was a nice restaurant, but just like good, authentic Italian and great first first date atmosphere. And then she wrote back and said, oh, how about this restaurant? And I googled it and it was Sydney's most expensive restaurant, like Ultimate fine Dining, and I was a little bit taken back. I'm thinking it's a bit presumptuous of her to then recommend this restaurant. And suddenly I was like, okay, I think we're not different our wavelengths here. And I said, oh look I'm not I'm not all that keen on fine dining. How about we go somewhere a bit more low key? And then she suggested in his second most expensive restaurant anyway, and she said, oh, don't feel like good food anyway. I chatted with my female roommate at the time and I was like, Alissa, like, what's going on here, you know? And she said she's not the type of girl you want to be hanging out with. So I actually just wrote back and said, oh, look, I'm sorry, but I think maybe we'll just leave it. I think she's obviously used to being taken to these amazing restaurants. And I said look, I just yeah, and she said, no, no, I'll pay. It's fine, I'll pay. And then I thought, oh, geese would be nice just to go and sit there.
Speaker 1: And I wonder what she's thinking about this now, because you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, but it's Yeah, it's funny to see, like even those people that have been rejected by in the past and stuff, to see them reaching out now is always funny, isn't it, Because it's like I haven't changed, I'm the same person, but suddenly people know about me and you want to hang out again, do it? So? Anyway, there's been a few failed.
Speaker 1: Has that happened? Is it any of any of the ex girlfriends or girls that have crossed your path? Have they tried to reach out to you now that you are the bachelor.
Speaker 2: There's been a couple of I've noticed a couple of Instagram messages where you look at the message above and I might have sent a message like hey, how's the day coming, and there's scene you know, no reply, and then suddenly I get a reply after. Yeah, it's funny to.
Speaker 1: See, but awkward. Did any of the other bachelors manage to give you any advice coming into this show Tim Robarts.
Speaker 2: I saw at the gym. He trains at the same gym as me, and I've went up to him and interrupted his work out and asked him for some advice. So he was really helpful. And then since filming, I've done a podcast Maddie Jay and Laura. I think it's like, actually, you know, all of the guys of most of the guys have reached out to me, Sam, Maddi, Matt Agnew Lucky, So they've all sent me messages being like, mate, you're in for a crazy ride. If you can assist in any way let me know, which is really really nice because they're all great guys. They've they've done it before me, and they've probably know where they've stepped wrong with all this stuff to come now, so it's nice to have that support.
Speaker 1: Had you watched the show before, like are you a Bachelor fan?
Speaker 2: I haven't watched it a lot, but I watched a bit of Maddie Jay's series, and I watched some of the Honey Badgers. But I just wanted to be myself and be my own person and hopefully I mean people who think like me or not. Of course, you want to be liked and you know, Maddie Jay, for instance, is someone I think that is because also he's here and Laura are really really happy, and he just seems like an amazing guy. I mean, I've got a bloody man crush on him. So of course you want to be liked and I want to be like one of the great Bachelor's, but just got to be myself. I didn't want to watch too many of the other episodes and try and be someone else, because then the girls are falling for well hopefully falling for someone that's not me, and then what after it finishes, I'm like, oh, hey, this is the real me.
Speaker 1: I just find it so funny because I've watched so many seasons and there's always a bit of a troublemaker in there, and you living the experience, you don't necessarily see what's happening at the mansion. So I was wondering whether or not you'd taken notes to try and look out for those troublemakers, because they often stay on the series for a really long time and the Bachelor never knows, Like the Bachelor just keeps them around and keeps giving them a rose, and you're like, hang on a sec, don't you know what's happening like the man Chain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly. No, I knew that'd be there's always a few troublemakers. But I thought I was a pretty good judge of character and I thought I'd be able to see it. But I guess, I guess the wall was pulled over my eyes on a few instances. It's look, it's disappointing, but it happens and you learn from it. So yeah, there's some troublemakers.
Speaker 1: Are you watching the show as it goes to air, like, are you watching it as it's on television or are you getting to see some screeners like you're getting a little bit of a heads up.
Speaker 2: I watch it with the rest of Australia. Oh my god, watching it with the rest of you guys, and I'm just looking at it that I'm just like, wait, what. Of course, I've heard things from my partner. She's told me some of the stuff that went down, but seeing it is different. Thing is different. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been to a group viewing of a TV show? Like you know that there's these batchy parties, So I want to know, like, have you ever been with all of your mates to do a viewing? Of a particular show back in the day.
Speaker 2: I've been to a viewing of a mate surf movie years ago. But apart from that, no, I mean very different. Yeah, very different. I used to watch with my roommates years ago and my ex actually we watched one of the series, would all get together and watch it. But I was often at work at night, so I watched a few of them here and there. But no, but I've had some great support. Obviously, we're in isolation here, we're in lockdown, so it's a bit hard to have a viewing party. But some of the some of the stories I've seen where people are like with their roommates getting cheeseboards, cutouts and everything. Everyone's getting really excited. My best mates girlfriends over in the US, she did a massive viewing party they're on in lockdown with like twenty of her friends with like drinking games. It's been really really nice seeing the support.
Speaker 1: It's a phenomenon, Like it's an actual phenomenon, you know, which is pretty crazy. The question I have for you is how did you view astray in television growing up? Did you see a lack of diversity on screen and did that impact the way that you watched television growing up?
Speaker 2: Not really, I mean I just look, there was shows that I wasn't able to watch because mom and dad weren't care on me watching them. I think I wasn't I watch the Simpsons when I was younger. But do you mean from a diversity standpoint, is that, yeah, I've never Actually it's not until doing this role that I've realized that people are getting around the fact that, you know, I probably don't look like the normal bachelor or you know, I've never viewed myself as anything different. I've just always thought I'm this tan kid from the Northern Beaches who has different features, I guess, but yeah, I've got my Fijian heritage, which I'm really really proud. I'm just I don't see myself as any different. So but if people are getting around it, and people are loving the fact that they're seeing someone a bit different, then it's great. I'm all for it.
Speaker 1: When you look back and you think about women voting or marriage equality, you think, God, that took a lot longer than we thought. So you know, what do you think about, you know, taking a bit of time to sort of see diversity being reflected on screen.
Speaker 2: I mean I think it's a great thing. A diversity in anything's great, you know, whether it comes to gender equality in the workplace, all that kind of stuff, like it's it's twenty twenty one. People need to get with the times. Same with same sex marriage. I think these things we often like we look back it now and you think, like, how was it same sex marriage on illegalized? You know, in the last few years. It's pretty crazy. And I think it's like people make a mountain out of a molehill with these things like it just do it, like who cares? It's not impacting of us, Like we're all it's twenty twenty one. So yeah, I mean, I think it's really really good to see and I think people are embracing as well, which is good. So I'm happy that if people are happy to see me on there is looking a little bit different than great.
Speaker 1: The thing I have walked away with that I really enjoyed so far is the moment with your dad.
Speaker 2: Dad's very proud. He really wanted to be an airline pil that he couldn't afford to do the training so he could never do it, so he's super proud. I think the day that he was putting on my wings when I graduated, there's a lot of tears. So, yeah, super proud.
Speaker 1: What did he think about you doing the Bachelor was? He is just as proud he Dad does.
Speaker 2: Look, he's a very proud man, and once he realized what the Bachelor was, he's really embraced it. And also they're really happy because they know I've met someone that I probably will spend the rest of my life with. And now it just makes it even more exciting to watch it all unfold. Of course, the drama is always entertaining as well. But Dad's quite funny. He would always slip into conversation like he's very proud that I'm a pilot because he always wanted to be a commercial pilot. And Dad's in real estate. He's got a very successful business up on the Northern Beaches, and he's like a social butterfly, you know, he's always talking to people. Hey, walking on the beach. He's always like, Hey, Tim, Sarah, how are you going? So Dad will always casually drop into conversation like someone might call him a batter house. Oh look, I'm interested in his house, and Dad will be like, yeah, my son's a pilot and they're like cool that yeah, so the house, Oh yeah, Like he just like segue. It's really cute because he's he's really really proud of me, and I think when it comes to the Batchel that he's super proud as well now because he knows it's a successful kind of franchise and he knows I've met someone amazing.
Speaker 1: From him, it's a long phone call now when he's selling a house, because he's got to drop in that you're a pilot and you're the bachelor. You know these people like alrighty, enough about Jimmy.
Speaker 2: Oh Dad, like, don't don't sound like a way gun like and he just Dad is such a genuinely lovely man and he just like he doesn't have a negative bone in his body. And yeah, he just says it because he's proud. But I'm like, oh dad, luck, I'm thirty one years old and you're still embarrassing me.
Speaker 1: Like that's what parents are for, and there's nothing better than parents that are proud of their children. It gets me every time on television. So obviously you have finished filming and you know what happens. How good are you at keeping secrets?
Speaker 2: I'm pretty good at keeping secrets. Yeah, once I realized that there was someone, a couple of people that were there for me and that I was really interested in. I think it's really important to make an entertaining TV show as well. I think that's what it'll be good about this season, is that, like, I'm really happy I've met someone that's great, and if we can get a bloody good television show out of it as well. It's entertaining for me, it's entertaining for my mates, it's entertaining for Australia. So it's nice knowing that it's worked out really well for me. But also I'm loving seeing all the drama and stuff that goes on as well, because people love that stuff as well.
Speaker 1: They love the drama, you know. I actually was at an event back in twenty thirteen with Tim Buds who were talking about earlier one of the previous Bachelors, and he had filmed the show but the series hadn't started, so we were at this event and he was on his phone trying to ring Anna on hide her name, you know. So I just think I'm too stupid I would accidentally give it away. Have you got a secret name that you've managed to put her number in on your phone, or like, how what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Geez, Dave's getting a red hot run at the moment, He's getting some nice lovey dove techs, so's she's saved under a male name on my phone. I want it. I don't want it to get out because I do want people to genuinely enjoy it and keep guessing, and it makes it It ruins the fun if it does get out. You know, there's some stuff in the media that has come out, and like, a lot of the stuff is complete rubbish that I've seen. So I'm kind of loving watching all this as well because it builds this hype about and people will convinced it's one person. Then the next day they might see me on a date with someone else saying, oh my god, it's her now. So it's kind of fun. It keeps it exciting.
Speaker 1: I just love that the Daily Mail is going to get a screenshot of you sending lovey dove text messages to Dave.
Speaker 2: And that'll be the next thing to come out of it. Suddenly the Bachelor's he's by the other way and he's dating someone from the cameraman from the show, or yeah, I'll wait.
Speaker 1: For that, they'll come up with anything, you know. And lastly, I actually saw you once in Coujie with my partner. We were talking about this this morning and you were in the surf life saving attire and I want to know if that's your side hustle, you're also a superhero. You're also a Marvel superhero because you're a pilot, you're a lifesaver. Like you know, these are pretty incredible jobs if you ask me.
Speaker 2: The life saverything came about last year after having a lot of time off work, so my mate Finn and I joined the local surf club, did our Bron's medallion and then yeah, we patrolled. So look, I like to dip my toe in like anything that I can. I'll try anything once and if I love it, I'll keep going with it. So yeah, same with the fitness and exercise stuff, although that's kind of dropped off a little bit being in isolation. But I'm going to be good. I'm going to go train this up to noon. But yeah, I'll try anything. But yeah, your word's not mine. The superhero.
Speaker 1: I think you look like a Marvel superhero and I feel really creepy for saying it, but you know. Isn't it strange that that had stayed in my mind, not knowing that you were going to be the bachelots. It's actually crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well jeez, it's I must admit it's a bit of a rollercoaster going through this. Because you want people to like you say, I'll take all the positive comments I can get, so thank you made me feel a lot better of myself today. I'll take it.
Speaker 1: Well, while I'm asking you creepy questions, You're on Studio ten yesterday or the day before, and I saw you wearing a really nice sweater and I just want to ask you to Channel ten. Did they send it to? Or where did you get that gray sweater from? Because I want to go out and buy it?
Speaker 2: Oh? Is it this one?
Speaker 1: Yes? Oh my god?
Speaker 2: All right, so you don't even know they've sent me. Politics have been amazing. They've sent me some really really cool stuff. Okay, and I've got some I've worn some of theirs. But this one's actually it's actually Academy Outfitters. There we go.
Speaker 1: I'm going to have to go in and get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good one. It's a good one. But I must say the Yeah, this this shipment of politics stuff turned up and it's so comfortable. So when we're in the pants now, yeah, it's good to get some free clothes. Otherwise I'll be sitting here in like a greasy shirt and my crops.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you're already influencing, you know. And that's what happens with these reality shows, is you start influencing.
Speaker 2: That was my first that you realized. It's the first bloody plug. And I don't I don't even you don't.
Speaker 1: Even know how to do it yet. I'm a failed influencer, Like I finished, like I won a series of Big Brother, and I just kept posting photo of my partner, photo of my dog, photo of my dinner, and I just watched it go from like two hundred thousand down to like thirty thousand within about six months. I was like, Fuck, I'm the worst influencer ever. No one's interested.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know how good I am either, So I might have to I might have to take some pointers from some people on that one, because yeah, it's it's a different world. Definitely not used to this kind of things, but so I'm sure I learned the hard way as well. Well.
Speaker 1: My last question just before you go is I always ask all my guests this, and I ask, is there any amazing stories from behind the scenes that we as an audience didn't get to see and won't get to see that they might appreciate anything embarrassing or stupid that happened while the show was being created, not.
Speaker 2: That I have. Actually I had to. I had to get my shirt off on night one and do some burpies on the on the red carpet, and I was kind of like, I remember thinking. One of the girls said, Oh, You're gonna have to take your shirt off, and I was just like, nah, I don't want to people. I don't want to be like come across as like you know. Anyway, I thought to myself, mate, you're on the Bachelor, hear, just like, just do it. You've already put all that stuff aside. So anyway, I've got the lid off, did some burpies and I thought, oh, my mate's going to crucify me for this, and they didn't show it, so obviously I don't know. They probably weren't happy with the rig or something like that. So so I think there's a lot of embarrassing things to come. But I wait till hometowns, you'll have a good laugh.
Speaker 1: It's always amazing what gets put on the cutting room floor. I hope they send you like a blue at the end of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'll be nice. Well something some of the embarrassing moments that like, yeah, a few of them happen where I put my foot in a few times, especially in hometowns. I know they'll play those, so yeah, I'm waiting for the memes to come out on those ones.
Speaker 1: But well, congratulations with the series. I'm only two episodes deep, but I think it's a classic series. I think you're really bringing some genuine content, like these are genuine relationships that we can already see as starting to build, and I think that is the true magic of being able to love this show. So congratulations, and I can't wait to see it all unfold. Congratulations finding someone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I'm super stoked. Couldn't have gone any better. And as I said, like, it's yeah, it's it's nice to I've got someone. I'm happy we're in love. That's great. But also it's nice to be able to watch it all stuff unfold as well. So who is it? Oh yeah, I'll just dropped the name now. I told it's Dave's Dave.
Speaker 1: It's Dave, all right, mate, Leave me alone. Tannel, Tannel, never let me chat to anyone ever again anyway, Thanks so much for your time. It's so lovely to chat with you.
Speaker 2: You two Shi