Speaker 1: The Flex and Frooms Daily podcast brought you.
Speaker 2: Ellie Sweety Pies, Flex and Frooms Podcast. Today we're talking about whether or not Kendall Jenner really did jack the content, style, flair and shutzpa of this tsar shittzpa. But isn't like a ch that's like of this internet TikToker. I mean, I guess you're just a regular tiktoko on the Internet. The thing is, I feel like it's entirely possible because I think that all celebrities are referential their mood boards. There's a sum of everything that's called on the Internet at any given point, and I think that there's not enough time the day for someone who's like doing stuff to be original.
Speaker 3: Where is us tip pretty tapering away at the TikTok not much to do, and if we do, we're procrastinating. Speaking for myself, also, I'm going to talk about a alleged copycat scenario that I was emboiled in featuring Dua Lipa, Oh my gosh, yes and no like no bad press. I'm a do a fan. Future nostalgia was full of slaps. Let's get a.
Speaker 1: Sucking flex and firms.
Speaker 2: I am flex, and I also could be potentially highly likely responsible for the fact that Starburst is discontinued in Australia. That sounds like I'm being dramatic. I don't want to take this on, but I think that I have to. And in order for you to understand how this all came to be, we must go back to twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: What a year.
Speaker 2: What a year, so many things going wrong with the world. And I had no idea that when I'd trotted my way down to the corner store and buy myself a bag of Starburst or Pink chees I would be met with what I could only describe as a disappointment. The flavor was different, and not just the flavor, the consistency, the texture. And I thought to myself, well, maybe you haven't had Starbursts properly in about seven years or so. Your taste buds maybe of change. Then you're not used to you know what it tastes like these days. But I thought, mmm, now something's up. Because the packaging is different. Number one, the branding is different. It was a bag of all pink Starbursts. That's some new stuff. They didn't do that.
Speaker 3: Like that before.
Speaker 2: And number three, the consistency of the starburst felt a lot more glossy and waxy, almost as though there was like the oil from the little punishment was transferring. Something was off like a Zappo kind of like that, but juicier like usually so was a bit dry anyway, So how did it? I have not have been for COVID and just having a lot more time to like mull on the.
Speaker 3: Details of life.
Speaker 2: I was like, let me just ask Starburst if the flavor has changed or the formula. That felt like a very genuine common thing to do. So I turned to the back of the packet.
Speaker 3: I saw the.
Speaker 2: Hotline number and I called it and I thought, well, let's just film it. People will want to know because I did ask the internet. And they said, yeah, tastes different, tastes different. Yeah, the formula change, Yeah, it went from vegan to vegetarian. No, from vegetario vegan. I was okay, first of all, either all of you are lying or you but I need to figure out the truth. So I called the hotline and they said to me, look, nothing has changed, like it's the exact same starbursts you know and love. Nothing has changed. I thought, okay, cool, hung up. Called again. They said, actually yeah, we have moved from a vegetarian friendly formula to a vegan formula, So that could be some of the tastes you know, that you're tasting, or the difference in taste.
Speaker 3: Hung up, called again.
Speaker 2: They said, we've never changed the formula where vegetarian friendly, we're not vegan. And perhaps the reason why it tastes different is because when it moved from the manufacturing plant to your supermarket, maybe it got really hot and so it started to like, you know, congeal or the format change, and as it cooled down and re solidified. Maybe that was the issue. That sounds about right it does. But also I called three times in the span of three days. Why am I getting three different answers? What if I was vegan?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: So here's where it gets really, really really sus I go on the website and I say, let me just hit up a PR contact for Mars Wrigley.
Speaker 3: What's the big deal? You know?
Speaker 2: I get in contact with them. I don't want to out anyone, no names, no titles. But their tone was kind of like, what do you need the information for? Where are you taking this? What are you doing with it? Why are you asking? And I said Okay, that's really odd. If nothing had changed, you would just tell me. So clearly something's changed, and you don't want to tell people about it, and you're going around making it seem like you're vegan and you're leed Lolly your choice, when really you're not. Something's off and I could imagine from their point of view, what's this blueticker trying to do? Why is she seeking this information? And because at the time I was posting this exclusively to my paywall subscription content Instagram, which means that they couldn't see. But then I noticed that two people from Mars Wrigley signed up to my close friends at the time because I got their emails, and I was like, oh, you on your time.
Speaker 3: It wasn't even meant to be like this. It's been fun.
Speaker 2: So anyway, by the end of about a one week period, I came to realize that I was never going to get the real information and everyone just had to tread carefully. If you were vegan and wanted to eat starbursts, you know, do so at your own risk. We figured out that perhaps what was happening is that the starburst we know and love was imported from America. Because when I eat American starbursts, and I had people bring me American starburst. Long story, won't get into it. That tasted like the og stuff. This new stuff made imported from somewhere else tastes different. I don't know, because it's like an ingredient that's taken out. Whatever it might be.
Speaker 1: I let that rest.
Speaker 2: I said, you know what, I've done my due diligence as a consumer and as a part time investigative journalist. It's time it does. It's time to let it go. I don't want any problems. Right Then, two years later, almost to the date, Why am I getting tagged, bombarded with messaging that Starburst is being discontinued? Why because of supply chain issues?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, hold on, okay, hold on, because you said nothing had changed, So what has happened?
Speaker 3: No? Were their eyes on the warehouses?
Speaker 2: Now? Were we like cross referencing and something was wrong? All I want to say is tell the truth.
Speaker 3: And do you know what?
Speaker 2: This all comes back down to the myth of authenticity culture. Take me back to twenty ten when you couldn't ask companies anything. Yeah, facts, you gave me this illusion of openness. I took advantage of it. No, I didn't even take advantage. It was my right to seek information. Now I'm seeking information. Now I'm the problem. Now I'm the reason that we can't eat starburs in Australia.
Speaker 3: That's very upsetting because as you talk about this, I really want a pink one. So they're completely not on the shelves anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, obviously like stores will have the leftover stock the current stock, but it's no longer being made as of June, so you know, get where you can. And they're even being sold on eBay for like thirty bucks a pop now, so try and get the American version.
Speaker 3: Had a friend drop them off to the office just recently because you need my figs. I want one.
Speaker 2: But whether I did or didn't do, I think either way, I'm learning that any press is good press, and so I will be spooking this.
Speaker 3: And doxing further brands. Ah, if you're not going to pay anything influence of content.
Speaker 2: It is what it is to be dragged be where I'll release the case study sooner or later, a little written, one pager. This is my experience discontinuing Star Best, as told by Professor.
Speaker 1: Flex Flex and frooms.
Speaker 3: FLEXI yes, looked at this TikTok the other day. Came up on the for you page.
Speaker 2: What's your screen timelight on tiki?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it happens like once a week. Okay, good, four hours, great, And it's so good because I get so much stuff for this show, so it's essentially like it's research. It is research.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: This, uh, the woman that came up my for you page. She's got red hair and green eyes, which is my favorite combination. What about a name? Oh, her name Jackie Murray Smith. She had a blue shaak, so she's serious. Yeah, And essentially she's talking about a little bit of I wouldn't call it beef, but a situation that's going down with Kendall Jenna.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna play theory for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here we go.
Speaker 4: It all started when Kendall died her hair red. I made a complete joke that she obviously got her inspiration from me. It's a similar color red to my hair. And I made a TikTok saying she must have seen me at the Sun's game because I was picked to play a game. I went on the jumbo Tron and Kendall watches all the Sun's games because her boyfriend Devin Booker plays for the Suns, and she's also confirmed many times that she watches every game no matter what. Now, that video was completely satire. However, shortly after that, I had posted this outfit and then Kendall posted this, and so I was like, oh my gosh, it's so similar.
Speaker 1: Like I have to run with the joke.
Speaker 3: It's just funny, you know.
Speaker 4: So I made another TikTok being like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: I didn't even say anything. I just put this pictures side by side.
Speaker 4: It became a fun little inside joke on my page. People would tagged me in videos of her and be like, wait, I thought that was you because we had.
Speaker 1: Similar hair and outfits.
Speaker 4: Kendall posted this photo of her around the fourth of July, and I had posted this photo a while ago, similar pose, you know, the hat. I put the photo side by side on my Instagram story.
Speaker 1: It had been a while since, like a similarity.
Speaker 4: It had happened, and I just thought it was funny.
Speaker 1: And then something weird happened.
Speaker 4: An hour later.
Speaker 3: This photo was gone.
Speaker 4: It still, she thought, all the other photos in the photop except she had just deleted this photo.
Speaker 3: I'm going to stop it there, but there's far more instances that she puts on the TikTok. There's a bit where she put she got her nails with a cherry on them, and then Kendall put a cherry in her Instagram caption. Yeah, so it got me thinking, would Kendall Jenna see what this woman is posting a would she copy it or see? Is she just playing along with the joke because she's seeing this internet chat?
Speaker 2: So the question is, is Kendall Jenna copying JC or Jackie's Jackie Smith? The likelihood is quite high.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: I feel as though people assume that celebrities of that caliber must be tastemakers. But the thing about celebrity, it's all referential. It's all coming from somewhere someplace else and being delivered to them. It's in their best interest to be top of the pops, right. So the same way a regular person is looking at Pinterest to see what people are wearing, celebrities too are doing the same thing.
Speaker 3: But is it the celebrities or is it the celebrity stylists?
Speaker 2: Well, it depends because I feel as though it would be remiss to not think that celebrities use the Internet as people do, right, Like everyone knows Beyonce's a finster that sheh yeah, how many followers who.
Speaker 3: Knows we don't have them?
Speaker 2: I have no doubt there's a group chat with like her agent, her manager, stylist or whatever being like oh this is cute, or like let's take that third the next time when we do some eight one eight promo, like here's some inspo for that, he's a mood board whatever, Like I think it's really casual. But I think that because this person's quite a big influencer, it only makes sense that you would look to someone who's posting regularly for regular content inspo. If it was a regular no blue tick person, I'd be like, mm.
Speaker 3: It with TikTok likely possible.
Speaker 2: But a blue ticker who's probably all over Pinterest and all over Instagram, it is not unlikely. And also because she's been able to track instances where you know, like Hayley Bieber follows her, okay, come on now. As if it's not on the mood board, I think the thing about it now is that the Jackie original influencer is calling it out. It makes Kendall look like less of a taste maker and that's not good for optics.
Speaker 3: I think that's how it started. And now Kendall's taking the piss and he's like in on the joke to make it look like she was never copying the first place, but she was like playing along and trying to interact with fans in a COVID way. I do think as well, there is a misconception around celebrities that they have more protection and more money and more stuff that they actually don't.
Speaker 2: Have, for example, separation from the public exactly.
Speaker 3: I was listening to a podcast with Lily Allen and she was saying how she didn't have security guards and people wondered why because she had a stalker and she was getting the police to help around and people with those A four or being like you should like get your own you can clearly afford it, and she's like, I don't have that amount of money literally, And.
Speaker 2: That's hard to admit as well, I mean, is it hard to I yeah, I think it becomes harder to admit because celebrity is really complicit in how they're viewed by the public, like they just let the narratives go when they're favorable, and then absolutely it's very rare what a celebrity controls the narrative. They're relying on the Internet to control it for them by giving them fodder and if it gets out of hand, and only when it gets out of hand will they step in.
Speaker 3: Which is I think regular people do that too. What's your point? My point is that it's not They're not being bad in doing that, Like, no complicit in anything that's untoward.
Speaker 2: No, it's just the way of it though, So someone like it reminds you when Sidney Sweeney, who is Cassie and Euphoria, did a interview recently and she said, you know, like I have to choose between She's like, I can't afford to not take a break now because I've brought a house, and like I literally need to keep taking jobs, taking jobs, taking jobs, because she was getting criticism that she was doing too much influencer work, and she was like, well, how did you gonna make money?
Speaker 3: Like I need to? And everyone's like, well, you.
Speaker 2: Should manage your money better, or you shouldn't have bought a house, or you shouldn't do this, and she's like, this is my first big break of coause I want to buy the house. This money may ever come again, I'm trying to, like, you know, get my clout up, get the money right before it's gone forever. Everyone's like she just manages her money poorly. I'm like, this guy doesn't have any money, Like you think A twenty four is giving every single cast member a million dollar deals.
Speaker 3: No, no, but I you know, i'd think that without hearing that. So it's good to hear it from the horse's mouth. Yeah, bloody dummy, I do. I do wonder though, if saying that you didn't make as much money then makes frands think you're worthless. Like, it's very much a fine balance, Yeah, talking about money when you're an influm or celebrity. So I'm going to keep an eye on this Kendall Jenner situation. I think it's very interesting. I would like to hope that she's taking the piss, but also it's nice to know they sometimes see the blue tickers. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just think this stuff is happening all the time.
Speaker 3: I also do have a conspiracy theory that you will leave par copy my haircut after I interviewed her in twenty twenty. Oh yeah, one hundred percent. We didn't end it. She had her like hair with the brown hair and the like front blonde streaks, and I had little like I was wearing space buns and this tiny little art whole fringe and the interview didn't go very well in what way that's not on me, but it's not on her. It was just awkward, like the sound wasn't right and there was all these virtual No it was in real life. Oh, it was like my last interview before COVID, and there was an awkward vibe in the room and my like questions weren't really landing. It was meant to be jovial and chill, but I was asking allegit questions about the music. But we just got off on the wrong foot. If you could watch the whole twenty minute footage, you'd probably pass away. I have some sort of heart attack response.
Speaker 2: But everybody has one bad interview.
Speaker 3: Then one or two months later, she debuts little art home fringe with the bleach bond hair. How does that make you feel? I thought, yes, slay like, she says a good queen and she follows the queen's behavior. I'll get a photo later. Yeah, give us the reference.
Speaker 2: I personally think it's nothing special when celebrities copy, because they don't have enough time to be original and unique.
Speaker 3: There's too much money on the line. They just need to.
Speaker 2: Track what's popping and elevate it in the best way possible. And then track what's popping and elevate in the best way possible, and hopefully they don't get caught doing it. But if they do, the best they can do is make a joke of it. I just refuse to believe that Kendall jen is that funny though, like she's are you working? Hey? You got time to do inside conspiracies with the fans.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Nobody wants to work these dates. Nobody wants to work these things anyway. Get the picky for us. No no, no, no, no, no no no no no, phone down.
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms.
Speaker 2: If I told you I found an Internet post of the world's least hated celebrities, what kind of celebrities do you feel beyond that list?
Speaker 3: Comedians that never offend anyone? Okay, women who are pretty and also have a slight sense of humor, but not such a sense of humor like Jennifer Lawrence style just a bit quirky. Milikounis for sure on the list. Okay, yep, Ashton Kutcher on the list.
Speaker 2: He doesn't shower, so what his reputations changed recently because he doesn't shower a lot, so the internet's like a bit off him.
Speaker 3: Oh sorry, sorry, I want to me these names. Okay, do you want the spoiler a lot first? Yeah? Sure?
Speaker 2: There are all old white people, every single one, men and women.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank goodness.
Speaker 2: But I said, come on now, there is just no way, is it, because their digital footprint isn't on the Internet, and that's why you think you like them.
Speaker 3: So sure you throw Samuel L. Jackson in there.
Speaker 2: He's not in there. He's not in there. Yeah, no ethnics, bame, We've got Steve BISHEMI yeah, facts okay, Hugh Laurie had to google that one since forgotten and that is no shade. Okay, we're just in different demographics. Oh house, Oh nah, I don't like him, but maybe you don't like his character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't like the character.
Speaker 2: Brendan Fraser had a tough time in Hollywood.
Speaker 3: Oh honey. Yeah, Julie Andrews, I feel like that is a sound of music.
Speaker 2: Yep, sound of music. Princess Diaries, Mary Poppins Bridgeton Minions.
Speaker 3: Very classic British style American celebrities.
Speaker 2: I'm seeing I'm seeing a trend here, Alan Rickman, Snake, professor snag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a vibe. Dame Judy Dench, Where's Dame Medna? I feel like they're on the other side of the spectrum lately. What does that mean? Oh, they've wander a bit of fire lately in this new generation, but they really loved.
Speaker 2: And then we have Maggie Smith.
Speaker 3: I don't know that. Oh, I think it's another Harry Potter one. What is this list?
Speaker 2: I honestly feel like it's just a bunch of people with a very little digital footprint or who their fame was kind of peaking in a time where their character and what their character meant to the world meant more to people than what they were actually Like mm, everyone just projecting these positive qualities because the characters.
Speaker 3: Were really good totally, and I think they all exemplify what the absolute peak of being in that generation, like the goodness of it. Like Julie Andrews played this beautiful woman that was nice around children in Sound of Music.
Speaker 2: Mary Poppins, Yeah, whatever she was, she was wholesome.
Speaker 3: I think all of these actors have something whatever it is was, I'll justify. It's such a boring list.
Speaker 2: I refuse to say that if you didn't go through every single person, there'd be something to hate. How they're the least hate it. I just don't feel like it's accurate. And then the so the justifications.
Speaker 3: Why hm, see I'm trying to justifications.
Speaker 2: It was like, oh, you know, I saw a really great picture of him doing a food drive, Like I wasn't pr you know what I'm saying, Oh you know, I heard a really great story, like you know, he didn't get his first luxury car until he was sixty, Like he's so humble.
Speaker 3: And it was a Porsche that it was much more about him than I.
Speaker 2: Feel as though when we're looking at people who were hated on the internet or receive a lot of criticism, you know, sometimes it's for the most obscure, minor stuff, right like you know, they they you know, it didn't seem as funny as they used to be, or like they started whatever it might be. And then you find these people who have been touted least hated, and this is what you're giving me, not even some good reasons. And it's got beef with Reddit and I think we should make our own list.
Speaker 3: Sure, I like that it's least hated. I don't want to go in ten people. Oh no, not at all.
Speaker 2: At least hated is a good place to start. And I want to get real, like real create with it, not just I saw them do a good thing that could have been pr pr You know.
Speaker 1: This is flex and Frooms on Kita FLEXI.
Speaker 3: I'm going to tell you a story that I'm sure it's going to disturb you. I'm ready, it's going to rattle you, and you're going to walk away lesser in the mind than you were when you came standard practice, you know what I mean. So this is from Reddit and it's under the relationship's problems are sub Reddit. Yeah, I'm just going to read it to you. Thank you. My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost four months. Is that a boyfriend? Friend? And I've never had a problem with him, no red flags, nothing so far. He's been an amazing boyfriend and I'm super happy. Although he has this weird relationship with taking a dump And this goes back to sixth and seventh grade. How old are they? Oh, I'm going to say, shouldn't say it I'm going to say, like eighteen, if you're talking about six and seventh grade, and you can delineate which's with you're under the age of twenty. And she said, I didn't know him at this time. I just know the stories that he's told me. He used to post a lot of bathroom picks and being in the bathroom and was This was a recurring theme in his Instagram posts for a while. To clarify it wasn't his shit, just him in the bathroom, nothing bad selfies and what not. He admits it was cringing, weird. He has all these posts deleted fast toward sometime and we're dating now and we call each other almost every day, and I believe there's been two times that he's used the bathroom on call and he's never admitted to it, which I relate often. I'm on zoom, putting it on pause, doing a little twinkle.
Speaker 2: One of our first zooms together in a professional context for me, was troudown on the toilet, fishing for toilet paper, trying to wipe did not obscure. I got the side that I didn't get full crutch. But she's not immune to this behavior.
Speaker 3: If you ever get sick of me. Just call HR. Hope you took some screenshots get us both fired. But recently he asked if I want to see a picture of his shit, and honestly, I should have expected he would actually send a pick. He said he was really proud of it, and then it looks perfect good for him. Then two days later we're on a call again and he just goes quiet and says, sorry, I was just admiring these shits I left in the toilet. Someone left. It's a phantom pou ghost got it. And she goes in capitals, I'm sorry, what flush the shit? Oh my god? I tell him it's a little weird, and he doesn't really care. We kind of move on, and so far there hasn't been anything shit related. I know it's only an erk about my boyfriend, and I honestly hope this doesn't turn into an issue.
Speaker 2: A love that word differentiate between erk's IX and red flags.
Speaker 3: This is totally a difference. I could do a whole segment on that. What is an erk? An erk is like something petty that's not related to the relationship, like an ierk is like something that people say, isn't that an ick? No? So a erk is like you say the word what's the word? You say alas, you say alass and it pisces me off. Okay, then an but you're still attracted to me. Yeah, it's just a nerd like. Regardless of who says it, it's pissed me off. It doesn't have to be you got it. An ick is when someone you own a relationship with does something that doesn't logically make sense about it being gross, but.
Speaker 2: It gives you the dick. Yes, okay, I understand.
Speaker 3: And then a red flag is a red fig Yeah, needs no introduction, but that's been something is obvious. Yeah, she wants to know. Is it weird that her boyfriend does this? Is it cause for concern?
Speaker 2: I'm doing that thing where my body is trying not to fracture under the pressure of what's gone on in this room.
Speaker 3: Every time I can relate to this king. Sometimes we do a pooh, so either perfect enormous my personal one. If I do a pooh of this color but that I'm about to describe to you, I must take a photo, whether or not I send that on. Have you previously shared and distributed poop photos? Well, okay, I've got a friend I'm not going to dock, sir. Okay, But she often sends your pictures of a pooh. We also have photos together of her wiping and showing me showing you what the toilet, what's on the toilet paper?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: What would what? For what reason? Because she's like a really beautiful, like stylish woman, she will wipe it and show me the.
Speaker 2: But what would be on the toilet paper that pooh?
Speaker 3: Yeah? But why would you need to see that? Because it's interesting. It's like whack, it's disgusting. It's totally pushing the boundaries. It's arm wack. It's disgusting.
Speaker 2: It's totally pushing the boundaries.
Speaker 3: Okay, wohole, But he would love it. He's turning in his grave thinking. You ask me, Sleigh, I can relate to this. Sometimes you do a pooh that snakes from the top of the bowl right down through into the curvy bit of the toilet. How many send me? As we talking forty centimeters? What it comes out of you like a soft serve? Like yeah, perfect.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever done a poop longer than ten centimeters, So you need to emil fiber. Maybe you haven't experience joining until we've done one of these poohs snakes brown snak.
Speaker 3: Do I think it's gross of him to do that? I think it's inappropriate to send someone a Pooh pick unless you give them warning because you don't know what they're doing at that moment. PEPs, they're eating chocolate. Consent is everything? Consent is, yeah, totally. They're eating a mars bar. You know you don't want to see a picture of a poo when you're chowing down on a king sized Mars bar. You don't. But do I think he's allowed to do this?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You would take pride like why is why does poop have to be so disgusting? Yes, it's poisonous if you congest it, but.
Speaker 2: Let's desigmatize pooh. I get what you're saying completely. Yeah, I don't support you, but I will stand beside.
Speaker 3: You know who shaming in the studio. I will say though we're in the comments.
Speaker 2: We started off this message with the girlfriend declaring that they've been boyfriend and girlfen for four months, and this is what happens at the four month mark. We start to humanize each other and one party always takes it too far. I mean, first integrating the farting, No.
Speaker 3: Go on opening the door when a pooh, yeah, I don't want to quit conversation. I'll do it. Open up p ah, of course.
Speaker 2: Little twinkle tinkle wait, twinkle yeah, twinkle No, I think I said twinkle last tinkle A little tinkle tinkle tinkle, not a big deal. I understand you might burn more often, you might like hack up some slammers, you're coughing, and these things happen. This is make or break period four months mark. You're seeing the full picture with clear eyes. Do you like what you see? Are you down for the long haul?
Speaker 3: She seems like a pretty relaxed person, so I think she can handle it. Others this might be the breaking point for sure. She's better than me, and I mean it.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast for more Tune needs to cater on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.