Speaker 1: I Heart podcasts, hear More Gold podcast playlist and listen live on the free I Heart app. Got anything good? Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast. All right, turn now for this week's small thing, Big Joy.
Speaker 2: Small thing, Big Joy text us spot you enjoy, like finding five bucks in your jeans or buying the soft fan of your dreams.
Speaker 1: All right, what s more thing gives you big joy? Text us yours share it? Oh four seventy five three one o four three, Perhaps you what's yours?
Speaker 3: Mine is driveway goodbyes, which I think is a dying art, so doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: Whenever we go up to my parents place.
Speaker 3: Whether it's a small visit could be just five minutes to drop something off, pick something up, or a long visit on Sunday afternoon, they will always come out and wave us goodbye, always always sweet.
Speaker 4: But it's a dying art.
Speaker 3: I think it's dying off with the older generation where they would always see you off and it's so beautiful and I know one day when they're.
Speaker 4: Not around, you'll miss that wave. I will miss that so much, really touching, and it's just the simplest thing. And Mum will wait until you're.
Speaker 1: Down out of sight until I'm still the same parts. Right. The kids, my two daughters now will obviously drive their own cars. I still walk them to their cars, help them with their crap, and we'll wave them off down the road. You can go now. And no, No, it's just a thing, you know. It's a generational thing.
Speaker 4: It really is. Yeah.
Speaker 3: There was never a time when I was growing up if you visited an aunt and uncle or cousins where they didn't come out and wait off.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now we don't do it anymore, and I think it's a real show.
Speaker 1: If you are the receiver of the wave off, you should give it away bast away raised right, just not the big old but a little like you know, as you're being waved off, if you're the wavy and they're the wavers, and you've got to return it with your going down the road.
Speaker 3: Yeah, only with Mom and Dad though they're the only ones I do, because they're always out the front in the driveway waving a song.
Speaker 4: I think it's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 1: If I came to visit you, would you wave me off? I think I can imagine what kind of wave?
Speaker 4: Thank god he's gone?
Speaker 1: What's that? They don't do that enough anymore?
Speaker 4: The old driveway bird.
Speaker 1: The bird by.
Speaker 4: You wouldn't come out where do you come?
Speaker 1: Mind?
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 1: If I was going to get the wave off just to experience that real what small thing? But that was a beautiful one, Percy, thanks for show no Rial, what's yours?
Speaker 6: I had a goodie yesterday. I was at the petrol station, pulled in behind this guy in front of me. He filled up first, he went in. I came in after he. I caught him napping. He's looking around at the Allan's lollies, the snake having a little look at the ice cream right in front of him.
Speaker 1: I paid before him.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, brother.
Speaker 1: In this game silky soccer skills, there a little side step, yes, a bit of ekunda. And now Intern Pete is part of the advance party. He's up at the criteria in hotel where we'll be live tomorrow morning. This is the part we've been renovating for the last couple of weeks. And Pete, what small thing, big joint for you.
Speaker 5: I don't want to use the words the greatest day of my life, but yes, that was actually yesterday when I sliced a big chunk of cheese. Now the biggest challenge when you slice the cheese is, oh, how many crackers do I need to take out of the packet to match the ratio of the cheese.
Speaker 1: Now, this ratio has got to be right, cracker to You've got to balance it. Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 5: You've got to get it so right. There's no having to go back to the pantry and get more or bring in the whole packet than having to put the packet back later, all that sort of stuff. You've got to get it right. I predicted that I would need thirteen ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: I got.
Speaker 1: No cheese an afternoon.
Speaker 5: It was a lot of cheese, and it was a beautiful thirteen crackers, perfectly the right amount of cheese on everything one, none of that like, oh a little bit on that one and a little bit bigger on that. It was just perfect.
Speaker 1: Now tell me this, in fact, don't tell us your team. Let's have a guess what type of cheese you think Pete was calming up? You think a common of garden hard cheddar.
Speaker 6: I think he's gone from Mercy Valley cheddar.
Speaker 1: That's a bit fancy. It's Sydney cider in him, isn't it. You know all those shears in a cane jay show. I think he's going for bre.
Speaker 5: The answer is it was cheer cheese. Oh, sorry to disappoint everyone. It was no dafn ware or saying to go from Leon in France. It was just typical, very basic chee che.
Speaker 1: Lovely couple of slices of Yarlsburg yesterday afternoon picked me up.
Speaker 5: I feel I've disappointed all of you by just eating stand and cheese.
Speaker 1: I just thought you would be a bit more fancy. I thought you thought you might even be maybe a manchega or gooda man.
Speaker 5: Oh, I do love all of them. See I used to be a cheesemaker as well, but sometimes it's nice to go back to basics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you mean?
Speaker 5: Yes, so I learned how to make cheese, after all, I.
Speaker 1: Thought you were talking about what you did in the Carl and Jackie o' show. Awful lot of cheese, sour blue, very blue, very blue. Actually yes, yes, things got rights. Absolutely so.
Speaker 5: After my apprenticeship with the chef, I learned how to make cheese in regional Victoria at Timboon Farmhouse Cheese. The cheese was that good it was taken over by King island and then can of beers, breeze, you name it.
Speaker 1: This is incredible. What a life you've led.
Speaker 5: Yes, and I'm only thirty five. It's crazy now.
Speaker 1: Participating before the show was telling us when we were talking about how do you cut the cheese? I actually cut it in a triangle formation and then you dress the plate so it looks quite nice when you have a little bit of cheese and crankers. But I got the idea is just using sliced cheese.
Speaker 5: Correct, I just used that, you know cheese, like sliced cheese cheese.
Speaker 1: It's not Bogan, it's burger burger cheese. Well, if you're using the pre slice stuff you're in the Rappers, you don't. That's not a shark coute kind of board.
Speaker 4: Look, not in the Rappers.
Speaker 3: This is the one that's you know the square box that you get at Willworths or Coals.
Speaker 6: And like eager or huge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, and it just comes as a square.
Speaker 3: But I only use that because I have it as a snack daily and I like a controlled.
Speaker 4: Amount how many slices.
Speaker 3: I would have two slices, which is equivalent to probably about if I break it down into six twelve and then I get my thirteen crackers.
Speaker 1: That's the magic number this morning. All right, okay, what is the small thing big joy for you? For you stay seker about him. Small thing big joy is when I'm baking a cake and I need one hundred and twenty five grams of butter and I managed to just eyeboard it and slice off exactly one hundred and twenty five grams a butt off the wedge on my first attempt known bessing about trying to get a tiny bit more but five grams ten grams. It's uncanny when you hit that. You do it for great. It's like an Olympic gold medal. Christian small thing big joy. When you craving a few crackers, open the packet, boom, thirteen left. It's the number today, show thirteen Christian small thing big Joy. Tickling toddlers, now, Christy, Obviously you need to know the toddler. You need to be related to a toddler. You can't be going around tickling unknown toddlers. I should have to say it, but I feel like I should say three. The label always always check with a toddle of bine. You right to have a little chicky tile Christian. I still tep Patsy. I still wave people off two Patsy. It's such a beautiful thing that should continue. It shows we're all love kindness. Diane, that's lovely. I remember ree years ago. Do you see like families would if they saw train go by. This was in the eight and obviously trains were there's some excite people where they would just wave at the strangers on the trains. Yes, I should. When we were out like walking with the dogs, we to go by this train track when there was a train come and I always get the kids down and we just wave at the stranger. I don't even know why. And some of them would wave back, Oh that's cute. Yes, I don't think anyone's waving. And now if I saw someone waving at a train, I would think, bless them, they're not well. I would I would sadly think that are people still you know? When with a truck?
Speaker 6: Are people still going doing the honks side? I've kids and then the trucks trucks honk back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never know. If I saw you doing that, I think you really weren't very well. If you're waving at a train, that's another level.
Speaker 3: But I go, wow, my dad was a truck driver and you'd always have people do that need.
Speaker 4: Horn back sounds like a great You still see kids, school kids at the side of the road standing with your.
Speaker 1: Chuckle sisters, are getting very excited out there. What's up, chuckle sisters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you're in the back of the bus as a kid, that you were doing and were doing.
Speaker 1: One day the best of the day as well being at that back, that back seat, that big long back seat, that's where that that's where the action was, and just mooning various tribes as well. Oh my god, yes, check with the toddlers and always moon on the back seat. Christian O'Connell show on podcast