Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of the sit Down. I'm Matt Trolop, a writer for ozopen dot com.
Speaker 2: And I'm Viv Christim, managing editor of Australian Tennis magazine and Matt, why are we sitting down this week with Andrea Petkevic?
Speaker 3: Well, Viv.
Speaker 1: We were lucky enough to get some time with Andrea from Berlin, where she was in town preparing to commentate for the Labor Cup, and we thought it would be a great opportunity to talk to her about all things tennis. She's such an interesting figure in the game. Her playing career was so long and span generations, and she's moved into the commentary and media space since she's retired. She's still really connected with the sport and has such interesting ideas about it, and she's such a great analyst. So this was a really fascinating chat and we hope you enjoy it. Thank you so much for joining us on the sit Down. It's great to chat with you and we really appreciate your time today.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me. I'm excited.
Speaker 4: It's an exciting time for tennis in Germany. We talked to Tobinbolts last week for the sitdown, and he talked about tennis in Germany being on a bit of an upswing. What are your thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: I agree with him in some way. I do think that it's hard as a not tennis expert, let's say, somebody who is not in tennis, to see that as well, just because we've had this golden generation of players like Angie Kerber and Julia Gergiz and all these fantastic young women who are young for life but old for sports and have retired, and so it's maybe hard to see for people who are not in tennis that we have young talents coming up and on the women's side, and then of course on the men's side, we've had one of the best male players ever in Germany since Boris Bekka and mich In Alexander Zverev, who's just a top five player on such a consistent basis. He hasn't quite been able to get that major title, but I just think in terms of consistency and and winning titles and competing with the best in the world, he's really one of the best male players we've ever had in Germany, and so he's generating a lot of attention and hopefully more tennis fans to flock to the tennis tournaments. But just tennis is trending everywhere. I live in New York and in Germany, and I see around me all these people who are new to tennis and trying to pick it up as a sport. So good news for us.
Speaker 4: You mentioned Angie Kerber earlier. She obviously ended her iconic career at the Paris Olympics. Have you spoken to Angie since then?
Speaker 3: I have, Yeah, we are in close contact. We've actually been closer since I retired, just because I have also more time to go see her, and before we were both so busy with traveling for the tennis and hopefully I haven't seen her since the Paras Olympics, but I have spoken to her, so hopefully we can also have the face to face soon. And yeah, she's I mean, I think staying she's happy is a stretch because it's always change. I've been there. It's always change to retire from something you loved for so long. And I know Angie loved playing tennis, loved being a tennis player. But she's happy that she's made the decision, and she's happy that she has been able to retire in that manner because her showing at the paras Olympics was absolutely phenomenal. She played some great tennis and she also played and away ag Kerber always played, which was fighting to the last point, sweating blood, sweat and tears basically, And so that was really really exciting. But it's normal to take some time to get used to your new life. It took me a time to.
Speaker 4: Your own retirement was two years ago. How did you grapple with that decision? And was it an easy transition for you?
Speaker 3: So before the transition, it wasn't easily at all. The three four months before I retired were some of the toughest of my tech life, just because I didn't want to retire. I really loved playing tennis. I really loved traveling the world. I love being a tennis player. I loved the routines and the structure of a tennis player. But I could feel that it was time for me. My body wasn't as able anymore to practice all these hours that I required to stay at the top. I could feel also my level dropped in I could sense that against the best in the world and against some of the younger players, I wasn't able to I wasn't able to keep up for two sets or through the sets if necessary. So I knew it was time. And the last three four months were really before I retired were really hard because I wasn't quite ready to let it go. But then once I did retire, it was actually okay. It took me, I want to say, I've been retired for two years. I think it took me two years to really let go of that identity as a tennis player, because I still caught myself saying I played tennis to people when they they asked me what I did. So I don't do that anymore. But but it was much easier than expected because after before I retired and started, I will just live in my house and nobody will calm me anymore. I will know what to do with myself, and that obviously hasn't hasn't been the keyse at Ah. I've been almost diusier than ever and it's been really fin and challenging to try new things. So the transition itself wasn't as bad, but the moments before the transition were really hard.
Speaker 1: So me we definitely want to talk about that busyness with you Andrea. But first of all, it would be great to reflect on your career. Certainly watching your career, the things that stood out for me were twenty eleven when you made the three Grand Slam quarterfinals. You cracked the top ten later that year. I also remember the first year I went to Roland Garros was twenty fourteen, and I remember you beating a Rani in the quarterfinals. It was an incredible performance and you made your first Slam semi finals. So to me, I guess on paper they are your career highlights. Do you remember it the same way or were there other moments of your career that stand out for you more?
Speaker 3: I know, I think you now there are. In this twenty fourteenth season, when I made the semi finals of Roland Garros, there were a couple of other highlights for me. I won Charleston after being injured for two years. That was my first big title after the injury, and it was more of a relief that I can still do it. And I think that's also where the semifinal run at Rowland Garo stemmed from. Because I had worked so hard to come back from injury and it just wouldn't click and I started to doubt whether it would ever click, and so the Charleston title was that necessary last piece of the puzzle to fall into plays before I was able to make the semi finals at Rollerland Garros. And in the same year we made the finals with back then the Fat Cup team now the Billage and Kingcup team, which was a great success for us as Germany who hadn't been in the finals since ninety three, I think, and it was great fun also to share it with team members, which you normally don't have as tennis players. And so yeah, I think though were my hadhlights. But it was really interesting because I retired at the same time as Serena Williams. And while I was retiring, I thought, I've done everything I could in my career. I had my successes. I wasn't maybe the world number one, and I didn't win major titles, but I'm really happy with what I with what I've achieved. And then when Serena announced her retirement that exactly the same time as me, I had this strange existential crisis where I was like, what did I really do in my tennis career because obviously retiring with one of the goats in women's tennis the greatest of all time was a strange feeling. I have to say, I would I remember very well I retired at the US Open, so did Serena. And I remember very well coming out of my apartment in New York and a bus was driving by with Serena's chase on it, and it would say thank you Serena for everything. And I was like, oh, I wonder if there are buses in Germany. On my face, I'm sure they. I don't think there were stuff. But I had a month or two of this excess into a crisis where I was like, all the all my childhood dreams and then win major titles. I didn't do this, And now removed from it two years, I'm so happy and satisfied and grateful for what I did achieve, and especially one thing. And I can just really to all the active tennis players. That's the only message I have for them. What you don't realize after you're retired, how important it is that you've given it. You're all now I find much more satisfaction and the fact that I know that I pressed out the last job that I could out of my performance of my ability. Maybe I didn't have as much talent as an Ang Kerber or a Serena, but I tried my best and I did everything I could, and I was the best tennis player I could. And it's interesting when you get older how much more you value that over successes and titles. And that's the only thing I can tell young players that even if you maybe don't win major titles, you will find a great satisfaction with then you if you know you've done it all to be the best that you can be. And that's just one thing that I've learned now just recently, maybe in the last few months or so.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a healthy perspective. We like that, And you mentioned Serena. It's almost like you're anticipating the next questions we're going to ask you. It's fantastic the way that your career kind of unfolded and overlapped with a lot of amazing generations in women's tennis. So Serena was obviously kind of a constant for that whole time. She had like a twenty year, twenty five year career, but you kind of when you emerged, it was Sharapova, Azarenka, Lina and then obviously you know, hall Att, Kviteva, Radwanska came along, and then there was that young brigade, Ostapenko won, Roland Garros, Osaka, Barti andre Escu, and then as you were closing your career, we were seeing Fiontek and Saba Linka start to kind of come to the top, and I just wonder, Yeah, like thinking about all those names you overlapped with, like is that something that you're very proud of, and like, what did you What were your thoughts on sharing the court with such a great range of players, writs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's it's really it was such a pleasure and honor really to play alongside these women. And I take a lot from having been able to be in the same room and in the same locker rooms, on the same courts as the best women in the world that have ever done this. And I think I was always I'm a writer now, I've always been a writer. I think I was a writer before I was a tennis player. So what comes with writing is watching, right. I was always a very keen observer of everything around me, and I would watch all these girls and all these women do what they do and how they achieved it. And how they trained, how they ate, how they slept, all these things that sounded creepy, how they I didn't watch them sleep, but you know that's a little weird. So that was always a big yeah, something that I gained a lot of strength from and something that I also modeled myself after after these great women, and that really made me stronger as a personality. And also, which is really interesting, the first year I came on tour, I still played against the likes of Kim Cleisters and Justine Enna. So I was eighteen or nineteen, so I even had the last It was really I think the last the first year on tour for me was the last year of those type of players. But I still kind of caught the last, the last cusp of Cleisters Anna as well, And so that was really incredible to now look back at all of that and having been part of all these tremendous players. And you know, also it helps me in my in my in my new job as an analyst and an expert, because I have seen so many generations and I can see patterns now. When I played Saballenka when she was seventeen, I already knew and same with Igasciantek. I already told my coaches of these two will win Slams, will win major titles, for sure. You can just feel that there is something else than them.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so interesting, and it's come true, like they've gone on to win multiple majors, so yeah, you can see something in them. Obviously, being in Australian Open, podcasts were always really interested to recall things that happened here. And you're running twenty eleven here where you beat Maria on Rodlver Arena at night and you were kind of the story of the tournament that year. What do you remember about that run at the IO?
Speaker 3: I always when I come back, I love being at the Austraiana Open because all those images come back and I think what I remember most so really did change the trajectory of my career. And I'm not exaggerating when I say that. The reason why I say that is there are players who have confidence the moment they come on court, like Serena, like Maria Sharapova, Carlos al karaz Novakdjokovic, They always kind of even as twelve year olds, they always knew that they belong at the top of the game. I wasn't like that. I always need to gain the confidence before I could go on to do great things, and Australian Open was a big tea moment for me because it added another block of confidence for me, knowing that I can beat the likes of Maria Sharpola on a big stage in front of a packed rod labor arena in a night session setting, and reached the quarterfinals of a major tournament for the first time. I think I think it set me up for what I've reached after that and accomplished after that, being a top ten player and reaching multiple quarterfinals after that, and that was the first stepping stone, and I think that's why I will always remember it very very keenly. And of course the atmosphere is unlike anywhere else at the Australian Open, just so many great fans. Not only that, but also so many great fans who have a fantastic knowledge about sports. You can just really tell that Australia is a sports nation and they respect their athletes and other athletes, and it's always so fun to come and play there whenever you get the chance.
Speaker 4: Andre you mentioned earlier that you were a Rushia before. For you a professional player. I was always intrigued by how you balanced those kind of interests in your career, and you know, how did you balance it all?
Speaker 3: Well? You know what I think. When I started, it was kind of frowned upon to have multiple interests. And I really think Maria Sharpova and Serena Williams changed all that. I think they were the first ones. I've always had my intros and hobbies and my books and my writings and all these other things, but I would almost not talk about it because I thought I have to be focused on what I do on playing tennis. And then Maria and Serena kind of brought the narrative to another level where they were like, no, I do design furniture and I am a male specialist. Serena and I am a businesswoman and Maria and I think they changed the narrative of an athlete in general, not only tennis players, and it was okay to do other things. And I felt much more comfortable after that to talk about the things that I had. And I always saw it as an and on another takeaway to my game. I always saw it as something that can strengthen me mentally and not take away from me mentally, and I think that's just the way a way to frame it. You can say like, oh if I if I write for two hours after practice, they can sap my energy. Or you can say, oh, if I write for two hours after practice, they will give me something extra and uh, and it will give me energy. And I think that's how I always saw it.
Speaker 1: And why did it take your mind off things? As well? If it's one hundred percent tennis all the time, then maybe that's not healthy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, that's how That's how I always saw it, and which also now I am grateful for it sets you up for a career after you see it with Serena, you see it with Maria and for me in a much smaller way as well. You don't fall into a whole after tennis, like what am I supposed to do with my life? You kind of land on your feet and you find another path, as you've already if you already tried a few things out while you were still playing.
Speaker 1: How did you get into tennis? And what did you love about it?
Speaker 3: So my dad is a tennis coach, so the classic tale of a tennis coach. Yeah, and I always loved it and actually Interestingly enough, the reason I wanted to become a tennis professional was the first time I lost. I really hated that feeling of losing, and so I was like, this will never happen to me again. And that's when I kind of started to practice and train really hard. Then the successes came and it was just a given. And then once I was on tour, I really, I have to say, and that's why it was so hard for me to retire. I think I really loved being a tennis player. I love the competition, I loved the training. I love the traveling. You know, the traveling is a big aspect that people don't really talk about. I've seen so many players, talented players not make it on tour because they couldn't stand the traveling. They couldn't stand the being away from their family and friends, and I never had that. I always loved being around the world all the time, and so I think I just loved the lifestyle as well as the tennis plague and the competition. I think some players get tired from competing all the time, but for me, it was always the most fun aspect of being a tennis player.
Speaker 1: It's really interesting you say that I wonder we were interested kind of like in your cross cultural upbringing, and maybe that was a reason that you loved the global travel of it, because obviously you were born I think in Bosnia to Serbian and Bosnian parents parents, but grew up in Germany. You obviously you live in New York now, you speak English fluently. I think you speak four languages, so you're kind of like a global citizen. Like, do you think that that helped you with that nomadic lifestyle of a tennis player and experiencing different cultures because you had so many to begin with.
Speaker 3: I think that it's definitely a part of it. I think when you are at an immigrant, you struggle with feeling at home anywhere because you're not fully at home back at where you come from when you're back. Then, when I was born, it was still Yugoslavia. So when it came back all the sudden, it was Bosnia and Serbia and it had fallen apart. And I never really felt that home there because I hadn't grown up there. But I never really fully felt at home in Germany either, because I in the beginning I had an accent when I spoke German, and so it took a while, and I think when you travel and you're a tourist or a foreigner, you're that everywhere you go. And that's why I think I live in New York right now. That's my favorite part about New York. Everyone is from somewhere else. There is no such thing as an immigrant because everyone is an immigrant there. Nobody, actually I know one person. I've know so many people in New York and I don't know one person who was born and raised New York or everyone else is from somewhere else. I think that's why it's my favorite place in the world. And maybe that's definitely part of it that traveling does not come so hard to me because it's it's the discomfort of being somewhere New has always sort of been there, so it hasn't it's not a discomfort anymore. It's become the feeling of home as being somewhere in you.
Speaker 1: And how do you feel like So, You've obviously had a lot of pro tennis experiences, your career was long, and as you said, you had these off court interests as well that helped keep you kind of like balanced. Do you think it kind of made it an easier transition for you to move out of the sport and be doing what you're doing now.
Speaker 3: I think so. I do think so that Having said that, having said that, I think that I had interest during the career helped me transition into a next career. I do think they still have to mourn your tennis player identity despite being ready for the next step. And I was ready for the next step, and I'm very happy with what I do now. But I do think that the letting go of having been a tennis player is still very prevalent and very normal, and then you have to go through it no better, whether you don't work a day in your life anymore, or whether you start working right away like I did, and something else. And so it didn't take away from that morning, but it did make things maybe less empty, and it made it more fun and the challenge of trying new things was also part of my life, not only the morning of my tennis player career, and so I think it was definitely helpful at the same time not forget the thing that you have to let go as well.
Speaker 4: You have become such a media all rounder commentary on court interviews, your connection to Recort magazine, Substack podcasting, you've really obviously embraced it. What was so appealing to you about the media.
Speaker 3: I don't actually know, to be honest, I kind of I think other people thought that I could be good in media because I never really pursued. So what I did pursue is the writing, that's for sure. I've always been, as I said, a writer. I've published two books in Germany before I had even retired. I have different columns in Germany, not only into the sports sections, also in the arts and Lisa Leisure sections, so that was always part of me. I don't really pursued the TV. It kind of always came to me like people would ask me, hey, do you want to do the trial? We get tennis channel here, would you mind commentating at the Australian Open? And then it just progressed from there. And I have to say, analyzing tennis matches commentating is one of my favorite things that I do. I love watching tennis, I love analyzing it. So but it's it's weird, honestly to have landed there because it's not something I sought out, but it kind of fell silent to my lap, So don't I don't really know what to make of it, let's see where it takes me.
Speaker 4: I think the sport is better for having you there. But you are part of sort of this younger generation of women who moved into the broadcasting space. You've got Kanta van due Hanchkover, Dockage, Stoza, Buddy. The list goes on. Do you enjoy part of being part of this wave and how import is it to have this young female voice in tennis.
Speaker 3: I think it's very important. I really enjoy, first of all, working with all of them. I've worked with most of them more at least around them, and it's always been great fun. Laura Robson was probably the first one of our generation to walk that walk, who was unfortunately got injured very early and had to retire much earlier than all of us. And I think it's I think that it's really important to have both used one and I think what's really fun to see now that they are putting not everyone, but some are also putting women on men's matches and the other way around. I don't think that I don't think that it necessarily has to be just one way. I did the Yannick Cinner and Jack Draper semi finals from courtside commentary, for example for World teet So I really enjoy that they are shaking pigs up.
Speaker 1: This is the narrative around Big Three, Big four and Serena retiring. But we've got these new young stars l chorazinersch Filantek Golf coming up. People were saying it was going to be so hard, We're losing such icons from the game, but it seems tennis is replenishing, like is that an exciting time? So that was one question. Well, the other one was if your tennis commissioner for a day, what change would you make to this book.
Speaker 3: I will start with a tennis commissioner because that's a very short answer. How I would do it in major tournaments. I would have everyone men and women play best of three in the first week and both men and women have played best of five in the second. Love that and everyone can make up their own minds about it, but I think it would be the perfect from it. So that's me. I can also argue for it, but I'll keep that for another day. Yes, and what I think about so what I always so as I look at tennis as a writer and what I can say about the sport through the lens of a writer and maybe more broadly about life. I will come back to your question, don't worry is I think the game is bigger than its stars. We think that the stars make the sport, but I think the sport makes the stars the very specific way Hennies works with the one on one battle, the combat one against the other, and also the way it's been you can't let the time run down, you have to win the last point. It's such mental challenges that it breeds stars and we will always have stars, and some shine brighter than the others, talking about Roger Federer obviously and Serena Williams. But this sport will always breed stars. It just makes stars the way the mental challenges are presented to them. And so I'm never worried about the sport. And what is also great, it's a global sport. So if Germany is not watching because we don't have a star, Spain will because Kylos Alcaraz is there, or Italy will because Jannick Sinner is there, or Australia will because the next Aussie star is just around the corner. And so I think that's the biggest strength of tennis, that it's a global sport.
Speaker 2: Well, Matt, what a note to finish on tennis makes the stars, not the stars making tennis. Incredible insight from Andrea, who always brought something a little extra to her time on tour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I was just struck talking to Andrea during that interview. We're talking to her in English, which I think is her third language, and she's just lived this incredibly global life, Like now she's living in New York, She's grown up in different places, and she's just got such a cool, worldly perspective. I really appreciated that. And yeah, we were lucky to talk to her.
Speaker 2: I love how she threw and that she'd written a couple of books while she was still playing tennis as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely phenomenal.
Speaker 1: We'll be back again next Monday with another episode of the Sitdown, but in the meantime, you can listen to John and the team this Thursday on the Aoshow Weekly.
Speaker 2: Details for how to contact us or in the show notes, Please remember to subscribe, rate, and review.
Speaker 3: See you next week, Matt, see vib