Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerney Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Welcome back to another one of our money diaries where we get to talk to one of our beautiful She's on the Money community members all about their journey. Let's jump straight into it. This week, I got a message and it went a little bit like this. Hi, Victoria. I grew up with a single dad and worked long hours with crippling debt. I got a thirty thousand dollar loan at twenty one, and this year, at twenty eight, I just bought a home, a new car, I'm planning a wedding and building my wealth and finances up with my fiance while trying to figure out what I want to do with my career. Also, money Diarist, you sound like a really fun diarist to get on the show.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Thank you. Hearing that back is so weird?
Speaker 2: Is that actually? I feel like I'm a bit worry? Does it make you proud?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think so, because I don't think I've really achieved much or I'm that great or anything. But then hearing in one sentence like that, it's like, Okay, I can step back and sort of be like, yeah, I have a achieved quite a lot considering where I've come from.
Speaker 3: So I'm yeah, I'm pretty proud of that.
Speaker 2: I'm very proud of that. Let's kick off. I want to know what grade would you give your money habits if I asked you to give yourself a grade from A through to F.
Speaker 3: I've been tossing up on this.
Speaker 4: I think maybe like A B minus, maybe B B minus.
Speaker 2: A B A B minus. Can you give me a little bit more insight? Why would you pick that?
Speaker 4: I think I've been able to work out my finances pretty well, but I think I still have a lot to learn. I haven't really jumped into the investing space, and I'm not really ready to yet, but I think I want to learn more about that and build more wealth that way as well. So I think I've got good things, but I think I could do better.
Speaker 2: I feel like that was really well articulated. I want to know before we get any further. My favorite question, as always is can you tell us a little bit more about your money story? I'm so keen to hear. So.
Speaker 4: I had a single parent. My parents split when I was eight. Fortunately my dad was given custody of me and my brother, so he worked really really crazy hours just to.
Speaker 3: Sort of, you know, earn the money.
Speaker 4: He worked from four am till six pm most days and di it out, dinner on the table ready, and I would do all the things in a house that a mother would usually do. But he worked really really long hours just to sort of give us everything we needed as kids. I have an older brother, so his focus was just keeping us in school and keeping us happy. But that came with a lot of debt. He got made redundant twice in three years from jobs oh no, and he got himself in thirty forty odd K worth of debt just to make the ends meet. It wasn't like he was out buying flashy things or anything like that. It was more so just to keep us in school and with the things we needed. It wasn't excessive spending on unnecessary things. So I think growing up, it's not like we didn't have things. He definitely looked after us, and we definitely got Every weekend we'd do an activity like we've got a time zone and we got ice skating, or we go rock climbing. I did a lot of rock climbing as a kid with my dad. So we always did things, but there wasn't, you know, endless flows of money. We had things, but it was known that we had a single parent and money was needed for our things rather than unnecessary things. So I kind of grew up with the mind frame that work hard, hard working, and it'll pay off and you'll get there. So I think that instilled in me a lot of hard work. And you know, I got my first job at fourteen, and I was helping dad out with the rent from sixteen onwards, and I think that taught me a lot about money and sort of what I wanted for my future money was, and I guess for my family. I did totally my kids to sort of grow up like that, and I think I've worked really hard at that from seeing what my dad went through to build a little bit of a better foundation for myself.
Speaker 2: What's it like being sixteen and contributing to the rent when I'm assuming a lot of your peers were probably not in a similar position.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 4: All my friends at school, their parents were together, and they'd had not an easy life, but they hadn't been through the things that I'd been through, and I'd been through a lot at this stage. It was weird, But I also I'm very close with my dad, so I was happy to help out. It started off as just, you know, fifty dollars a week and gradually went up from there. But I think I was more just happy to help because I knew everything he was sacrificing.
Speaker 2: For us totally, and I feel like if I was in a similar position, that's exactly what I would want to do, right, Like, it sounds like your dad's a legend. He is my best friend, and I can tell like from the way that you talk about him, I'm like, oh, this man, he must have done it so much. Is that something you talked about at school? Like, is that a conversation where you know you were working and people knew that the money that you were earning as a teenager was going towards that.
Speaker 3: Not really.
Speaker 4: A lot of my friends in my friendship group at school, we actually all worked at the local McDonald's, but a lot of them were working to just sort of buy themselves stuff or just to have money. Where I yeah, I guess I was working to help with bills, and I was paying off my own phone, and I was I saved my very first car and every car of Haard I've bought purely myself. I've never had a help, so I think. I don't think I really spoke about it in that sense with my friends at the time. No, it wasn't really a conversation that where's your money going or what are you saving for or contributing to? So not really something.
Speaker 2: I think when you're a teenager you just assume it's on going to the movies and you know, going to Nacas after school. And it's funny you say that because I grew up in a I don't want to say more regional area. I grew up on the morning to Peninsula, and so many of my friends worked at either one of the two McDonald's down there. It was honestly such a good job, I feel, because it's so structured and provides so much leadership training. Did you love that I did.
Speaker 4: I think it was a great place for me to start. I spent five years there.
Speaker 3: I got a job.
Speaker 4: I think I was fourteen and three months, and I worked my way up. I started management, but I didn't finish it. I wanted to sort of move on. But I think it instilled a lot in me, and I think it's a really great starting point for children that age, or you know, teenagers that age. I think it teaches you a lot. When I started there, I was the shyest person you'd ever meet. Like my dad laughs about it now, how shy I was. Like I wouldn't even go up to a checkout person and ask a question. And people that know me now would know me that I'm a foghorn. I make friends everywhere.
Speaker 2: You found yourself.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I don't have issues making friends, and I'm not a shy person at all. But I think I learned a lot. I grew a lot and learned a lot of leadership and business sort of skills from that job. I think it's a great starting point for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is so cool. I want to know what you do now though, So what do you do for work? How much money do you earn?
Speaker 4: I work as an account's clerk sort of accounts and admin clerk. My salary is fifty six plus super, but I do also get monthly over time, and I did start doing Uber eats last year at the end of the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just to pay off my wedding.
Speaker 2: What a little hustler. I love this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so all my Uber eats income go straight to the wedding, and then my normal salary covers all the mortgage and that sort of stuff. So I don't really have an estimated amount with Uber, but my normal salary is the fifty six plus and then overtime each month as well.
Speaker 2: I want to ask about overtime because when you said I'm an account's clerk, that's not usually a role where you would get over time. How's that happen?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So I work in the automotive industry, so we work on a monthly basis and my role is monthly based, so at the end of each month we have to get everything entered into the system. So generally the last two days of the month we work sort of twelve to thirteen hour days. Oh my god, to get everything in. So end of month there's always really work heavy, and the start of the month's quiet. But I'm always happy to do it because every hour we work overtime end of month is paid ye.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. I'm there for the overtime.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I use my overtime funds to go to a wedding dress account. Yeah, awesome, So I have all my overtime.
Speaker 3: Sort of works for me.
Speaker 4: I always use my overtime to pay for something I want that's on top of my normal salary.
Speaker 2: It's going towards the above and beyond.
Speaker 4: Exactly, not coming out of my normal salary, not digging into my normal bills. So yeah, every every end of month, I get maybe four to five hundred dollars of overtime that you know, goes into those accounts. So that's a nice little bonus on top of my normal salary.
Speaker 2: That's actually so cool that you have that structure where you like, I don't want it coming out of my normal account. If I do overtime, it's the above and beyond. Tell me you mentioned a wedding dress account as somebody who got married last year. I'm still so obsessed with weddings. It is my entire TikTok feed. I am I what your I've just got my wedding video back, guys, I am obsessed. The wedding content is going to be making a comeback. But what I want to know is like, how did this wedding dress account come up? How did you set a budget? What are we working towards?
Speaker 4: So originally that account, I always changed the name of what that account is for what my goal is. I have a tattoo sleeve and I use all my overtime fun for.
Speaker 2: That and that's expensive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so expensive. So I used that account.
Speaker 4: I changed the name of it to whatever we're doing. We went to New Zealand last year, so it was my New Zealand funds account. Then once the holiday was over, we just gotten engaged before the holiday, so I changed it to wedding dress. And I kind of look at my wedding dress as one of my main expenses of a wedding, not my partners in a sense. So I am saving for that separately to allow, you know, my wedding dress fund and for my bridesmaids sort of fund. I've sort of set a budget for my dress. I kind of don't want to spend more than about two and a half on the dress.
Speaker 2: That's still a significant amount of money. Like, there's so expensive. Weddings are crazy, it's huge.
Speaker 4: I've set a very strict budget for the wedding. I'm well on track. I've run the numbers multiple times, and I've gotten quotes for everything, and I have everything structured. So yeah, I kind of came up with two and a half because I think that's a reasonable amount. It still quite a lot, and there's still a lot of dresses that are so much more than that. But I think for me, it's a very reasonable amount because I've said a very strict budget and I don't want to be too excessive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's absolutely fair. Can I be really pervy and ask about the rest of the wedding, like what's the overall budget? How did you work that out with your partner? I feel like it's such a fickle conversation.
Speaker 3: It really is.
Speaker 4: My partner. If I turned around tomorrow and said, let's just have a party. He'd be so happy with that. He definitely wants a wedding, but he finds the cost of them just insane and we aren't made of money. So he's like, we can have a wedding, but we're not going to be able to have all the bells and whistles or you know. We need to be smart about it. I don't think spending X amount of money when we could go overseas or this or that is smart. So I sort of came up with a budget, and we looked at venues and stuff and sort of worked out what we'd be looking at, and we came to a number of twenty five ks. So I'm actually well on target for that at the moment. I think I'm sitting a little bit under it actually at the moment, and we've set a date and we've booked the venue, So yeah, I kind of I can accept that amount as sort of reasonable, but I think when it gets a little bit over that just for our personal goals, that's when it's a bit too much. So I sort of worked out what our goals are and what's reasonable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, one hundred percent. I love to hear how clear, you guys are on it, and you know your partner's values versus your values. Like for me, that was really important when it came to planning the wedding as well. My partner just wanted a massive party, and I'm quite in real life, guys, I'm actually really introverted. I like my small group of friends. I don't like really big crowds of people. I find the really overwhelming. So that was a fun compromise to make.
Speaker 3: My partner's exactly the same.
Speaker 4: His social battery wears out it me where I'm the opposite. So we sort of came to that compromise. We are having a very smar It's only about forty people, just close friends and family, and I think that's plenty for us and where we're at. And he's, yeah, very he likes a social thing, but he gets his social battery gets full very quickly, so.
Speaker 2: I'm the same. I think I slept for the entire week after our wedding because I was just exhausted from everything that had happened, elated, so excited. Best of my life. I need an app is basically where I was at before we move on to more of the structured questions. I have another spicy wedding question based on content that I have been producing recently on TikTok. I know exactly what question you know me, Are you paying for your bridesmaids? If so, why? If not? Why not?
Speaker 4: Well, to be honest, your recent post threw a spanner and not a spanner in the works made me question things.
Speaker 3: No, no, don't be sorry.
Speaker 4: I've obviously never had a wedding and I've never been in a bridal party, so you know, it's kind of working out what works for us. I was always planning hair and makeup fully paid by me. I was never going to ask at the dresses I'm looking out of are not too expensive one hundred dollars or less. And I was originally thinking of getting my bridesmaids to purchase their own dress, but I think I might end up paying for them shoes and things like that. If they have shoes that fit the color scheme, then happy.
Speaker 3: For them to wear it they have.
Speaker 4: But I'd love to be able to afford to pay for everything, and I think if the way I'm working things now, I think I will be able to, so I definitely at least half, if not all, is what I'm working for.
Speaker 2: I love this conversation because I think, as somebody who has been a bride, I just really hadn't thought about it before. And I had been a bridesmaid, and to you know, check my own privilege, I've always been in a position where if I've been asked to be a bridesmaid, I was at an age where I had the free cash flow, so I didn't mind. I was just so excited to be a bridesmaid. I didn't mind that I had to pay for the dress. I didn't mind to be a part of it. But then once it came to me having my own wedding, I was just overwhelmed with this idea that my tastes would then dictate how my bridesmaids would have to budget. And I hated the idea that I would put them out with decisions that I was making. I don't think it's a secret that sometimes I do have quite expensive taste. And I just fell in love with a specific pair of shoes that I really wanted my bridesmaids to have, and I was just like, there's no way I could ever ask them to pay for that. All of them were obsessed, and I was like let's just make this one of their wedding presents like a present from me, like they can wear them a million times after. I know they will because they were all obsessed. But it's one of those things where I had not comprehended the financial impacts of that, even though they've surrounded me for a really long time. I just went, wow, like I would hate to put my friends and family out. And I think it's a different story money direst when you're like, oh, it's about one hundred dollars and that's you know where it is. I was always going to cover everything else. I feel like that might be different than Okay, well, I expect them to pay for my hand's party, and then a pair of shoes, a specific pair of shoes, a specific dress. I want them to pay for my hair or their own hair and makeup, and it all just ends up adding up, and it's just at what cost and it's not yours anymore. It becomes maybe they can't go on their friend trip to Bali anymore because they've spent you know, seven or eight hundred dollars going to your wedding, or maybe they can't do something for their mum, or they can't do something for their own budget and that just blows my mind. And I think a lot of us and do you sound like you're in the same ship as me. We just hadn't thought about it before.
Speaker 3: Until your posts.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I hadn't thought about it. And then I put myself in those shoes that I'm like, do I if I was asked to be a bridesmaid today, have the funds to go and spend that amount with my money goals at the moment?
Speaker 3: Would that be a priority for me?
Speaker 4: And I you know, that's where I put myself in that shoes, and I was like, Okay, I don't want my wedding to be someone else's financial burden.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so fair.
Speaker 4: And I'd never thought of it that way before, so I think that definitely reworked. When you posted that reel, I messaged a few of my friends. One of my bridesmaids was actually in a wedding not long ago, and I just asked her the question, you know, what was the situation? You know?
Speaker 3: And then I both my sister in laws. Two of my sister in laws.
Speaker 4: Are also getting married in the next year, and I asked them, like, what they're planning on doing. So it's been a very strong conversation between us sister in laws as well on what we're going to do and what suits us. So I think that definitely sparked a lot of more thoughts and questions that I hadn't thought of before, and I think it did that for a lot of people.
Speaker 2: So I love but also stop dming me telling me that I'm the devil, thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, You're not the devil, not at all.
Speaker 3: You're just thinking of our financial freedom.
Speaker 2: All right. I want to know you've obviously got the wedding coming up, but what is your big money goal currently?
Speaker 4: So obviously the wedding, and then we really want to build an emergency fund's account. We've got one in our bank named emergency Funds, but it's yet to have money put in it, so I think that's the big goal for us. Building up a bit of an emergency funds and a buffer in our mortgage repay account is also our goal because we do want to start a family after we get married, so we want to build a little bit of a buffer in there just to help with the mortgage repayments and things like that. Once I go on maternity leave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how exciting. I like how clear you've been on all of these goals and what you're planning to achieve, Like, it blows my mind that, Oh, it's so exciting.
Speaker 4: It may also help to know my Aunie is a mortgage broke up queen. She looks over my finances twenty four seven, and since I was fourteen, asked those questions, So I think she's really helped guide me finance wise making big decisions or the way I should structure things.
Speaker 3: So that kind of helps as well.
Speaker 2: I love that. All right, I have so many more questions for you, and we're going to go to a really quick break and then we'll get back to all of those in a hot minute. Don't go anywhere, all right, money diarist, We are back, and I have a question. I want to talk more about your aunt because one question I wrote down earlier when you were telling me all about these accounts that you have, and you've got your wedding dress fund and that fund name changes depending on what your money goal is, I was like, how on earth did you manage to learn how to manage money in this way? Because it sounds like you have really clear goals and really clear ideas of cash flow and budgeting. Where did this come from? How did you learn about money?
Speaker 4: It definitely came from a combination of my dad and my auntie seeing my dad struggle and then my auntie be in the finance industry my whole life. We had a lot of strong conversations about that. And from the day I got my first job, I used to write out, just on a notepad, how much I got paid each week and what my bills were or what my expenses were that week. So since the day I got my very first paychecked, I've had a written budget and to this day, I still have a written budget. I like pen to paper, I like seeing things written, So I still to this day have a written out budget that I work from. And I think my Annie definitely helped with navigating how I work my finances and how I navigate those things because from day one, I paid for my very first car at seventeen, and that was something I had to budget for as a sixteen year old working. So I've always had money goals or something I was saving for, and I knew the only.
Speaker 3: Way to save or get there was to budget for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Amazing, And is this something that your aunt just sat you down when you were young and said this is stuff you need to know. Or were you tenacious and asking these questions or how did these conversations come up, especially with an aunt, because I feel like that isn't going to happen for everybody.
Speaker 4: No, I think my Annie really stepped into a little bit of a mother.
Speaker 3: Role when my parents split.
Speaker 4: My Annie doesn't have children of her own, so I think, and when my parents split, actually we lived with my Annie for a bit of time. It was not a great split, so we weren't allowed to be at the house at the time, so we did live with my Annie for a little period of time there. So I think she really stepped into you need a figure in your life that's a mother and that on. And we had a lot of conversations about that, and I could always ask her anything, and you know, as a teenager, sometimes that got uncomfortable or there was things I didn't want to tell her because you know, teenagers.
Speaker 2: Of course, but they've got to have some level of privacy as a sixteen year old.
Speaker 4: Definitely, But I think, yeah, we spoke a lot, and we had a little tradition back then where we used to when I was still in school, it was a breakfast every week. She used to take me and my brother just down in Macis for breakfast, and when we finished school it was Sunday, didn'ts I'd have dinner with her every Sunday, just me and her and and we'd talk about a lot of those things, or what my goals were and what I was working towards. So I think it was a bit of both me asking questions and her giving advice. I mean, when I got my first thirty thousand dollar alone, I didn't tell her, and she.
Speaker 2: Was not in tru as a mortgage broker, she would have been a little bit salty on you, my friend.
Speaker 3: I got in a lot of trouble for that.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I think I go to her with anything when it comes to money or big decisions to make. And also when into buying the house, it was a given that she was very, very involved in that and helped us immensely and I couldn't thank her enough for that. So I think that definitely helped in navigating where I wanted to go with my finances from a very young age.
Speaker 2: It sounds like you are surrounded by some very beautiful people.
Speaker 3: I really am. I'm very blessed.
Speaker 2: I love it all right, I want to know. Next question is do you have any investments? If so, what are they? If not, what do you want to do?
Speaker 4: Okay, so super yes, of course I have about forty two and a half thousand.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's pretty good for your age.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I did take ten thousand out during COVID, knowing what I know now, I wish I didn't.
Speaker 2: But we all learn, and to be honest, I feel like sometimes we really needed to.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I had a little bit of debt at the time, and I knew it would help get rid of that. So I had about six grand left on my debt and I paid that often. Then I put the remaining towards our account that we knew we were already starting to save for a house, so it kind of helped with that. I didn't use it to go and you know, spend on silly things.
Speaker 2: Hey, lots of people bought flat screen TVs, so you are totally working towards the right financial goals here.
Speaker 3: My love did not do that.
Speaker 4: So my yeah, forty two and a half in that and my auntie looks over my stupid to make sure it's invested to get the best return Chesi's I at this point have only put five dollars in. I want to work on being more consistent at putting a little bit in each week or each fortnite.
Speaker 2: But that's leaps and bounds in front of everybody else, because I feel like so many times people just don't even take the step of picking a platform or even putting their first few dollars on that platform, and it feels like a small step. You might go, oh, that's not much, but that's massive. That's the step that everybody struggles with.
Speaker 4: I think I actually had a little bit of a money in there too. When I signed up, I forgot to use the shehes on the money code no, and then I heard it on one of the podcasts like the next day, and so I emailed them and they manually added the credits their angels.
Speaker 3: So that was a little bit of a money win.
Speaker 2: Oh how good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's purely just from listening to the podcast on Cheesi's.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, free money. That's a good return on your investment. Free money.
Speaker 3: I'm here for free money always.
Speaker 2: I love it. So what are you planning to do with your Chasia's account?
Speaker 3: I don't know enough yet.
Speaker 4: I want to buy the second she's on the money book obviously to learn some more. And it is a conversation my partner and I have been having. He wants to sort of get into the investment space a little bit more as well. So I think just dipping my toes in and just showing me a little bit more and learning a little bit more about it is where I'm at at this stage.
Speaker 2: You love all right. I want to know We've already spoken about how you had a debt, and then you mentioned earlier that you paid it off with money from your super But I want to know do you have any debts? If so, what are they?
Speaker 4: So we have the mortgage, obviously, which is about four hundred and thirty thousand. We only bought the place six months ago, so we've only just been here six months, and interest rate rises have not been fun.
Speaker 2: But your aunts some mortgage brokeers. So I'm sure or that she is all over that for you.
Speaker 4: She definitely is. We were very lucky we had a guaranteur as well. When we bought our place. My partner's parents offered to go guarantee to help us out, which was really amazing.
Speaker 3: How good is that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're very, very lucky for them, and we probably wouldn't be in the position we're in without them because we wouldn't have had enough for a deposit. So we were very lucky there and that allowed us to have a little bit of a smaller deposit so we could spend money on furniture and setting ourselves up. So that's sitting at about four hundred and thirty thousand. In October, we also bought a brand new car, which we financed at about sixty grand, owing.
Speaker 2: I want to know what car that is sixty grand? What are you spending that on?
Speaker 3: It's an Azuzu Dmac top of the line. It's beautiful. We absolutely love it.
Speaker 2: A big dog car, big dog car.
Speaker 3: However, we did just put it up for sale last night.
Speaker 2: Why did you choose to do that?
Speaker 3: Wasn't planned.
Speaker 4: My partner changed jobs recently where we took a little bit, well quite a significant pay cut for a long term gain. It's going to be once he gets off probation, he's going to be earning commissions.
Speaker 2: Oh, how exciting, which will.
Speaker 4: Significantly put us in a better place. But for the time being, we're taking a little bit of a hit, and we sort of sat down and worked out what expenses can we minimize and what are our goals and having that car at the moment just doesn't really align with our goals. We should have, you know, thought about that six months ago when we were just about to get it, but we didn't really think that far ahead. We just got caught up in the moment of you know, we're getting our first ever brand new car off the showroom floor that we didn't forecast what would happen. So we made that decision this week that it's the best thing for us to minimize that. So we actually listed it last night, and with the market at the moment, we can actually make a little bit of money or break even with it because it holds its value quite well. So we've got someone coming to look already already.
Speaker 2: It were up last night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we put it up last night and they're coming this week and they're pretty keen. So if we sell that, we'll get rid of that debt straight away.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you know what. I find that to be a really mature decision to be making as well, because I think a lot of people, especially because the car is only six months old, would be so emotionally invested in that vehicle that they'd be like, no, I can't get rid of it. It's too new. It's to this, it's too that. I feel like, that's such a good financial decision where you're taking the holistic picture into consideration, and I feel like too often we get too caught up in our egos, like, oh, well, what might people think if they see us buying a car and then selling it within six months? Like I just think it's so smart and so mature, and I really respect that.
Speaker 4: I think when I first started mentioning it to a few of my friends this week that knew how excited we were when we got the car. To be honest, I was a little bit embarrassed. I had a moment that I was like, oh my god. But then when I step back and look at the bigger picture, I'm not embarrassed because we're putting us first. We're making the best financial decision for us and our goals, and having that car isn't doing anything to contribute to our goals right now. So what is the point of spending the amount we're spending each week to run this car when our goals are a wedding and to build emergency funds and to start a family in the next two years. So it just doesn't really align with where we're at right now. And that was where we made that decision. And I was embarrassed for a moment, and then I stood back and thought, I don't really care what people think.
Speaker 3: This is for us, you know what.
Speaker 2: I love these.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like I brought that up because I was like, I feel like so many people would be in that position where their ego might be a little bit more than what, yeah, what they can handle, and I just feel like hearing that might give people permission to go, you know what, it doesn't actually matter what other people think. How good is it that we're putting us first or we're doing the right thing for what we need to do. I just think that's yeah.
Speaker 3: Just I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it. It makes me so happy. It sounds like you have some really good money habits, so I want to note, what do you think your best money habit is.
Speaker 4: I'm very rugal in a way, like I buy, we buy what we want when we want. We're not you know, you can't have it. But I shop a lot when things are on sale or I shop around. I also have car insurance with woolworth so it gets me at ten percent off one shop a month, as well as the Everyday Extra program which I heard about on your podcast actually.
Speaker 2: Which we got from the community. I can't take any credit for this. I feel like you guys have all the good ideas, even the idea that you get ten percent off once a month by having Woolworth's insurance. Like that's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I sort of. I look around.
Speaker 4: I get you know, discounts on the shopping things like that always. You know, if I need pet food, I'll look around at where it might be on sale. I try not to pay, you know, the highest price for things. I budget that way. I also do some online surveys every now and then to get money to go towards like fuel or groceries. I think that's my best money habit.
Speaker 3: I'm frugal.
Speaker 4: I you know, when we get bills, I will look over them and if something doesn't look right, or question it. I like to always know where my money is going at my money is working for me in the best way possible.
Speaker 1: Love.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if the right word there is frugal. It sounds like you're just super resourceful. You're like, I'm going to find the right deal. I'm going to get the best bang for my buck. I'm going to put myself in the best position. Like that's not being frugal, not at all. I feel like that's just being super resourceful and smart with your money, and we all should be doing that.
Speaker 3: I mean, we work hard for our money. Why are we throwing it away? With that question?
Speaker 2: One hundred percent all right to slip that on its head. I feel like you are super resourceful. I wouldn't know what's your worst money habit.
Speaker 4: When it comes to other people, I will just spend I'm you know, birthdays, Christmas presents, just because I don't ever really second guess or second question myself on spending money on others and transferring out of my personal savings. I need to get a little bit better at when I put money in there.
Speaker 3: It's you know, my little buffer.
Speaker 4: But that doesn't just mean I can you know, I want a coffee and there's you know, not much money left in my account.
Speaker 3: I'll just transfer out.
Speaker 4: I think that's probably my worst habit is putting money in my personal savings and then just being like, oh, I'll.
Speaker 3: Just transfer it back out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like a lot of us are guilty of that, and it seems to be a consistent She's on the money community member trait to always spend a lot of money on other people. I feel like we are all very similar piece in a very similar pod. In that case.
Speaker 3: Yep, I'm a giver.
Speaker 4: I'll spend money on other people without question, but I will always question it if I'm going to buy something for myself.
Speaker 2: I kind of love it. We all care about everybody else, which is really sweet, but we need to care more about ourselves and our own financial futures sometimes too.
Speaker 3: We do, we do, all right?
Speaker 2: I want to wrap back around to the very start of this episode. You told me that you think that maybe you've got a money grade of like a BEE or a B minus. But you've just told me all of this awesome stuff, Like you're an account's clerk, you are working over time, you are doing Uber eats, you are doing online surveys to bring in more income. You have forty two grand in superannuation. You've got a mortgage, you are always on top of it. You've just started investing, Like you are selling a car because you're literally like, I don't even care about my ego. I am going to put that aside and put out financial futures first. My friend, do you really think that you're a beer a B minus after having this conversation?
Speaker 3: I mean maybe not.
Speaker 2: What do you think is maybe a little bit more accurate, maybe like an A minus. Yeah that feels a little bit more comfortable for me too. Yeah. I just feel like you are killing it, like knowing how you learn to manage money, and that your dad and your aunt are so supportive, and that you know even though you grew up in a relatively low income family and you learn about debt really early. I feel like you've just got these great money habits and you're, you know, growing that and putting yourself in a position where you've got this home and you're planning your dream wedding and you're planning on starting a family. Like that's all so exciting and usually very very financially taxing, but you seem to be taking it all in your stride. Like I feel like so many people are going to listen to this and be like, oh, she's exactly who we want to be, Like, what a queen?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 2: I love it well. Unfortunately that is all we have time for today. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your money story with us. Money Drest, I have adored this and adored this chat. I feel like we're best friends now.
Speaker 3: I'm not mad about it at all. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: It's been amazing of course.
Speaker 5: Oh, the advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice.
Speaker 2: Tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 5: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money. Sheper pty Ltd ABN three two one IS six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine.
Speaker 1: Back to the