Speaker 1: On a crisp morning in twenty twelve, the world awoke to a revelation that would shake the very foundations of professional cycling. Lance Armstrong, seven times Tour de France champion and global icon, had been living a double lie. Behind the medals, the charitable foundations, and the carefully curated image of invincible athleticism lay as secret, decades in the making, a sophisticated, systematic doping scheme that had deceived teammates, rivals, and millions of fans worldwide. What began as whispers in locker rooms and suspicious test results had become a full blown investigation, peeling back layer after layer of lies, manipulation, and betrayal. The question wasn't just how he had cheated, It was how someone so adored could orchestrate such a massive deception for so long. This week, ge, we're talking about Lance Armstrong.
Speaker 2: Oh and those silly rubber yellow bands.
Speaker 3: Those silly well thank you for finally saying a good one. Finally, I'd he built his empire on gold and air, only to watch it to solve like missed at sunrise. For years, Lance arms Strong seemed untouchable, a force of nature. On two wheels, a symbol of perseverance, a symbol of perseverance against cancer, A beacon of hope for millions. His victories were celebrated not just in the arena of professional cycling, but in living rooms across the globe. He inspired others. Charities flourished in his name, Endorsements poured in His story became larger than sport itself.
Speaker 4: He was a legend to the world.
Speaker 2: He was immortal because I don't like there aren't. I can't really think of any cyclists who aren't Australian whose names I know.
Speaker 1: Just Mark philippusis probably the only one I can think of.
Speaker 2: Think so.
Speaker 1: But beneath the shine of metals and accolades, the foundations were fragile. The air he had built upon was a carefully constructed illusion, a network of banned substances, secret routines, and silent complicit teammates. Each Tour de France triumph, once considered the pinnacle of human endurance, was now revealed to be a carefully choreographed deception. The higher he climbed, the more precarious the pedestal became, until the slightest whisper of truth threatened to unravel everything, and then the mist began to lift. Investigations, testimonies, and confessions peeled away the golden vine. Sponsors withdrew accolades, were stripped, and fans wrestled with disbelief. The legend of Lance Armstrong, once untouchable, cracked and faded, leaving behind the stark reality of ambition, vanity, and human fallibility. In the end, what remained was not the glint of gold, but the fragile memory of what happens when brilliance is built.
Speaker 4: On air.
Speaker 1: Before we meet Lance, I want to give you a brief overview of the Tour de Frances. Could you you are We're proud of you too, Baba. You think like you are quite amazing at your sport.
Speaker 2: Please, I hope you're watching that on the YouTube. He just walked up to me and just writing right in my face and pushed me away from the Microsoft, very jealous about it.
Speaker 1: Do you know much about the Tour Defance?
Speaker 4: No, not really to de France, no.
Speaker 2: About I just know the yellow Jacket and that it's like the longest Smalls. It's certainly the most prestigious cycling road race in the world.
Speaker 4: Battle I know about it. Oh, it's a battle.
Speaker 1: I thought I thought you said it's a battle, I know about it. No, you said that's about.
Speaker 2: It's about all I know.
Speaker 4: It's a battle. Battle, I know about it. That's me.
Speaker 2: I think I don't know battles.
Speaker 4: I know battles, magis straight. I employ you. It's a battles, I know a battle.
Speaker 1: When the race started in nineteen o three, which is how long after adh.
Speaker 2: That is one thy nine hundred and it's either two or three.
Speaker 4: Years after, so close. Not regod at math.
Speaker 1: Most people were amateurs and I kind of love that you look at like early sport, like especially like football here AFL what we call it in Australia. You look at like these men that were like butchers and worked full time.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, not myself to.
Speaker 2: A butcher works full time plays games. It's your Instagram buyer, was it?
Speaker 4: Yep?
Speaker 2: Can you your Instagram by to that for a week. That's very funny a buddhacher who works full time and plays game.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The moment just says busy mum. So I'm happy to.
Speaker 2: Does it really? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Busy mum. I think that's very funny. Busy mum.
Speaker 1: It is to stay awake and and be able to endure their grueling challenge. They would take in hands as to stay awake and get through.
Speaker 2: Can you do you have hear what the challenge is? I don't know anything.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go into it. Don't you worry about it, baby girl? Even drinking to keep them going. The Tour de France is an annual men's multiple stage road cycling race held primarily in France. It is the oldest and most prestigious of the Grand Tours. The race was organized in nineteen oh three to increase sales for a newspaper and has been held annually ever since, except when it was not held from nineteen fifteen to nineteen eighteen and nineteen forty to nineteen forty six due to the War COVID nineteen. Due to the Two World Wars, as a tour gain dominance and popularity, the race was lengthened and gained more international participation. The modern editions of the Tour de France consist of twenty one day long stages over a twenty three or twenty four day period and cover approximately three thousand and five hundred kilometers in total. What this is why it is a sport of endurance.
Speaker 2: And it's not there's no like realay aspect to it. It's one like each team person.
Speaker 4: It is a ten team.
Speaker 1: Yes, so individual American team.
Speaker 2: So an individual won't ride the twenty.
Speaker 1: One thing you can be a captain of. I don't know if you can be, and please do tell us if your game. I don't think you can actually be a an individual individual. I think you ride for a team as far as I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but does anyone ride every day of it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You do? You ride every day?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I'm asking A cyclist will ride all twenty will ride the three thousand something killed? Holy shit?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're in a team. But yes, each rider they like to be called girl, don't mean. Lance Armstrong's mother had him when she was just seventeen years old and he was.
Speaker 4: Zero at that point.
Speaker 1: His biological father and mother didn't stay together, and by the age of three years old, his mother had remarried to a very strict drill sergeant by the name of Terry Armstrong, and Lance hated him. So that so Armstrong was and yeah, not his biological And I know, something as small as leaving the door open will be enough to incur a punishment. Lance Armstrong loved to compete from a young age. He didn't have the skill to play baseball, the coordination to play basketball, or the strength to play football. While he couldn't compete in these sports against his components, he could outlast them. In nineteen ninety four, my when I was in prep, I was three years old and.
Speaker 2: One nine hundred and ninety. I think it's two years ad.
Speaker 4: She's so close.
Speaker 1: In nineteen ninety four, thirteen year old Lance tried insurance sports, mostly triathlons. He was a teen thirteen. He was obsessed with training and would keep a log of his workouts, gaining on his competitors each time as much as he could.
Speaker 2: I wish I could become obsessed with something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah you know, challenge, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm obsessed with it. In toastis and sleeping, yes, you.
Speaker 1: Are obsessed with I'm not saying toasty you are obsessed with sleeping. When Lance was still a child, he competed in swimming and cycling. When he began, Terry, his stepdad, became even more strict and even more intense than before. Terry later attributed much of Lance's success to his strict treatment of him, saying later that when Lance fell off his bike, he said, if you're gonna come out of here and quit and cry, then we're done. I'm not going to have a quitter because he.
Speaker 2: Fell off his bar.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Can I play sing a song about a man named Terry?
Speaker 1: Could you do it at the end to end the episode, because I think I know it rhymes with Mary, and I'd love to hear it at the end. Anger and frustration became a big motivator in Lance's life. When he got angry at Terry, he said, you're not my dad, something that he that he said later to coaches and Jesus had actually said to Joseph.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, how many years after.
Speaker 1: Us Joseph lance Water did in the fact check. Lance wanted to continue racing in triathlons. This was a real passion for him.
Speaker 2: And how many sports are there in a triathlon?
Speaker 4: I don't have these facts.
Speaker 1: I wish it wouldn't throw me out like that. Insurance sport became his superpower. He won even though he was under the age limit. His mother even helped forged Forde the documentation for Shadowing.
Speaker 2: Oh that was stunning.
Speaker 1: I know we said we wouldn't do songs to the en, but I want to that one. By the age of sixteen, he turned pro. At eighteen, he was the national sprint course triathlon champion.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: But he didn't really.
Speaker 1: Care enough about running or swimming. His true passion was Toboggans so close cycling the other one's the opposite of that. Yes, cycling is the opposite of that. After graduating, No no sports. After graduating, he moved to Austin. Likey Austin and began racing. In nineteen ninety one, Well I was born. He was just twenty years old and won the US Amateur national championship. It earned him a spot on the nineteen ninety two Olympic team.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: He ended up finishing fourteenth and was embarrassed by that.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: It felt like he needed to lift his game.
Speaker 2: You know what they say, if you're not first, you're fourteenth good.
Speaker 1: Immediately after that he joined the Motorola team. He participated in his first road race. He finished dead last. He was undeterred, and he became more and more competitive. He had his sight set on the Tour to four the false Now the Tour de France changes route every year, so.
Speaker 4: We're going to go a bit more into it. At this time.
Speaker 1: It's the biggest phrase. Hold over twenty three days in July. The riders in the peloton, that's called a term for a group of riders struggle up at least two mountain rangers. It's the ultimate test of skill and insurance. But Lance was just twenty two years old at the time. Wow, the average age of a rider in the Tour de France.
Speaker 4: Do you I guess?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do want to guess.
Speaker 1: Thirty eight sixty seven years old to no, he is twenty eight?
Speaker 4: Did you catchphrase? What? What?
Speaker 2: I actually didn't think it would be thirty eight, but when you were saying twenty two was so wild.
Speaker 1: Twenty eight but still, I mean athlete, That is a huge difference. I guess six years there. They have more diverse skills at that age.
Speaker 5: Agility, Yeah, yeah, that more diverse skills. Apparently, agility the strength to power through and are better with endurance. Lance had ambition, though he would win an individual space. Each individual race makes up the Tour de France. He was on the nine man Tour de France team with Motorola. He was chosen for his express riding, so he was really good at Sprints. The eighth stage was through the hilly French countryside. In most stages, a few riders try to ride out into breakaway groups so the sprinters can compete for the win. In the last few miles of the eighth stage, a breakaway group surged ahead. Lance and two others were able to bridge the gap, and it paid off. Lance's group had a six second lead.
Speaker 2: Should name pronounced Lance? If we're talking about to Minfong, Let's.
Speaker 4: Call him Lance from now on.
Speaker 1: This was the first major victory of Lance's career. The Tour de France had been a major success for him and his team In nineteen ninety three. It lined up a road race in the World Championship in Norway. Many believe, Wait what Norway? Many believed Lance would win the race. Conditions perfectly suited his combative approach. It would be it would be who could stay on the bike the longest, who was the most ambitious and the most determined. As the one hundred and sixty mile race progressed, Lance rode away from the back and raised his arms in victory alone. He was a champion. He had accomplished more than other cyclists had ever dreamed of. He was the next big thing. He set out to win the Thrift Triple Crown in nineteen ninety three. This was a trio of cycling events in the US. Any rider who can win all three scored a whopping one million dollar prime.
Speaker 2: Oh in the nineties Yeah wow.
Speaker 1: Lance won the first two, sending him up for a massive payday if he could win all of them. He met up with the captain of the rival team and he laid out a deal. If they let him win, he would give them fifty thousand dollars in winnings. Since they weren't already in the running.
Speaker 4: It sounded pretty.
Speaker 1: Amazing to them, except that it's cheating. On the day, he got a comfortable lead, he coasted to victory. He then found the racer at the hotel and actually gave him one hundred thousand dollars more than promised. They did said Merry Christmas?
Speaker 2: Was it Christmas? Or did you just say no? Okay?
Speaker 4: He began racing. Mince snap at you like that.
Speaker 1: He began racing more overseas and against people he wouldn't always be able to buy off.
Speaker 2: Hang on, is that is this buying this other? After that?
Speaker 4: Like was in?
Speaker 2: Did he get trouble for that.
Speaker 1: I don't think anyone knew at the time.
Speaker 4: I kept his.
Speaker 1: Winning streak going for a few years, a stage in the Tour de France and a few races in Europe. At this point he was taking testosterone and cortizone, both are illegal in pro cycling, but most athletes take them anyway. They were illegal but difficult to control, especially for endurance sports and everything. A lot of people were taking stuff.
Speaker 2: Your difficult to control, as in it's difficult to control where the people are. Yeh yeh.
Speaker 1: Lance moved to Italy to train, and while he was using enhancements, he and his teammates kept losing. He was getting mad at and madder, and he discovered a drug called EPO.
Speaker 2: He's getting mad because he's taking testosterone. Yeah, yes, scread yes, I'm a medical doctor.
Speaker 1: It's an enhancement drug that increases your red blood cell count, which enables you to exert yourself longer than you normally would.
Speaker 2: It's called epopo. Is that why three po.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you don't have any more to the punchline, so keep going.
Speaker 1: Yeah. There's also no way to test it. Also, at the time, there's no way to test if you're taking the drug. In nineteen ninety five, he learned that someone he knew was working with doctor. He was a sports medicine expert. You and did a bit of off the book work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I do.
Speaker 1: He worked in a beat up station wagon.
Speaker 4: That's how you know. Pretty off book, isn't it he works? Yeah? Where was your office? It's a beat up stations.
Speaker 2: I feel like it'd be one of those ones with like a mattress in the back as well.
Speaker 1: Usually athletes pay him out of their winnings. So commission pays doctor that works in a picked up station wagon. Things are going pretty well for doc very.
Speaker 2: I'm picturing a better coal soul. Oh yeah, like you know how he's like the kind of dodgy lawyer yours.
Speaker 4: I'll picture.
Speaker 1: Piggy no for any reason, No, no, no, no, no no no. I was just picturing me going I was talking that she was No, no, I'm.
Speaker 4: Just picturing her nice.
Speaker 1: Lance paid him tens of thousands of dollars a month to be the EPO program, So now he's buying a really.
Speaker 4: Nice station wagon.
Speaker 1: In nineteen ninety six, Lance was the top ranked cyclist in the world. He was living in a beautiful house all by himself. He's doping got results. He was the first and only American to win a two hundred kilometer race in Belgium. He competed in the Olympics and signed an endorsement deal with Nike, Nike Nike. In nineteen ninety six, he was diagnosed with cancer because he was a bikey BIKEI Nike Nike.
Speaker 2: That wasn't about cancer, sorry.
Speaker 1: And only had a fifty percent chance of living particular, wasn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he dropped out of the Tour de Frent.
Speaker 1: He was twenty five years Oh my god. Yeah, diagnosed with testicular cancer. The disease had spread throughout the day. After his diagnosis, he had his right testicle removed and flew to have brain surgery. Luckily he had our great support system to see him well.
Speaker 2: It had spread to his brain. Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 1: The doctors asked if you had ever taken performance enhancing drugs. He straightaway said yes, yes, and listed a long list including epo, steroids and more. He said this in front of all of his friends quite openly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, when you've got your going in from brain surgery, you're going to be honest about it.
Speaker 1: His friends were absolutely shocked. Lots of people suspected the drugs are linked with the cancer. Lancer's recovery was brutal for a few months. He was declared cancer free in nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 6: That isn't miraculously, Yeah.
Speaker 4: He's all.
Speaker 1: Motorola team had folded by then, but he joined the newly formed USPS team sponsored by the Postal Service.
Speaker 2: So when Motorola folded, did they say goodbye.
Speaker 4: Mortal it's a flip phone.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh and folded. Yeah, that was making but that one's better.
Speaker 1: Actually, they signed Lance. He was a low risk person to take on. If he returned to his previous heights, he would be the best rider, but also the publicity would be great. At the time, Lance met a new girlfriend. They got a kitten together and called it Chemo.
Speaker 4: Oh sweetest, I'm not sure about that.
Speaker 1: He was working back to full fitness slowly, so it took a long time obviously. After the treatment and everything, Lance decided to move back to Austin. He started to relax, do some soul searching and had a new cancer charity setup. He couldn't just relax and soon wanted to just spend all of his time racing again. He had his cancer charity at this point, but he needed to get back out there more and more and kind of compete as much as he could.
Speaker 2: It's just that personality exactly. Yeah, it's all he's ever known and that's what he loves exactly.
Speaker 1: On July eighth, nineteen ninety eight, French customs officers stopped a Spanish cyclist at the border.
Speaker 2: I would have said this, ahit, let's stop in French. I learned that word because when I didn't exchange in France when I was seventeen, and.
Speaker 4: What did you get into return?
Speaker 2: The younger brother in the family that I stayed with, his name was Victor, and he was like just like a naughty teenage boy. There was just always like bouncing off the walls and just being naughty, and so the parents were always going avidor avidor that's all. I always remember that stop stop.
Speaker 1: When they searched his car, they found full bags of EPO Sarah. Yeah, the Spanish person are steroids and more. It was three days before the Tour de France was set to start. It set off a huge chain reaction. The entire Spanish team was thrown off the tour.
Speaker 2: The whole team.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Also like in jury sports. I don't know if the whole team were using.
Speaker 2: But if it were, but yeah, when your classmate does something naughty and you all get punished, you all.
Speaker 1: Get dead, apple rots, all of the bananas. I'm always saying that.
Speaker 2: Yes, you've always said that, but I've always said it's not true.
Speaker 4: But yeah, say it. By now, love keep saying it. By now.
Speaker 1: Lance was training harder than ever with the doctor watching over him. He lost unnecessary muscle and found a more committed team m with a new physique. So he was losing unnecessary muscle, so he just like so Lena's Lena, and he could Yeah. Yeah. Armed with the new physique and new teammates, he was promoted to lead in his team in nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 2: Wow, only two years after being.
Speaker 4: That's right, so quite incredible.
Speaker 1: If you look at this, you're going, oh my god, that's incredible. Yeah, without drugs on not really, I mean that's quite incredible to come back from that. In nineteen ninety nine, for the Tour de France, Lance won his sprint, coming in eight seconds over the last person. No one was expecting him to be that incredible.
Speaker 4: So like.
Speaker 1: Surely after his recovery, the press were excited to talk to Lance. Lance spoke quickly, going on the offensive, sorry, on the defensive and also offensive, and said that it was time for journalists to leave the past in the past.
Speaker 2: That's an opposite. Offensive and defensive is an opposite, like tobogganing and cyclist, Yes.
Speaker 1: Exact opposite. That they need to stop focusing on doping. But he was cancer free and was at the next stage of his life.
Speaker 2: He was saying this to journalist. Yes, so like red rag to a bull, stop focused. Don't worry about that. Don't worry about that guy, worry about that.
Speaker 1: WHI there's a moving my hand over here. That's what I always doing. Put my hand over here, waving at you. A few days into the race, the truth came out. Lance tested positive for cortzone. Like EPO, it is a naturally occurring hormone that helps combat stress and aids muscle recovery. It has been banned in cycling since nineteen sixty eight, but you can have exemptions for using this, and Lance had some kind of exemption for using quarter zone over his time.
Speaker 4: Over this time.
Speaker 1: Sorry, he got his doctor to back date so he could pass the test in that beat up state station wagon you know where in.
Speaker 2: Partisi he's got a good station wagon.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Now the authorities believed him and let him go. Of course, Lance had a new team doctor, so he brought the doctor. M Lance's wife went around distributing cortizone drugs to his teammates.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: In nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 2: Sorry, do you know what cortzone does to enhance performance? No?
Speaker 1: I think I think it just helps you recover, like your muscle recovery is, so we can get back to going quicker. Yeah. In nineteen ninety nine, he and his team won the Tour de France. People pointed out how unbelievable it was. Fans waved American and Texan flags. He was making a historic comeback. It was the front page everywhere, and America was extremely proud, and now he was a superstar. He was all over everything. People were hailing it as a miracle. How would it be possible after just recovering from cancer with a fifty percent chance of surviving. His new approach to doping worked, but it was very risky. It was becoming more noticeable and people were getting found out and banned. His teammates had to cover up their syringe bruises. The press was still very suspicious of him. He was asked if he was doping, and of course he denied it every time. Lance was furious with another racer who started speaking out about doping and saying how bad it was in the industry. It was getting out of control. Lance decided to put him in his place on the cycle. Lance ordered his team to pursue the cyclist, caught up to him and surrounded him. Lance put a hand on his shoulder and told him if he was speaking out it would not be tolerated. Lance suggested he find a new profession.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: After the first Tour de France he won, Lance won the next.
Speaker 4: Five in a row.
Speaker 1: Whoa by the age of thirty two. In two thousand and four, he was even bigger star.
Speaker 2: He turned thirty two in two thousand and.
Speaker 1: Forty correct, I'm now fifty something. His memoir was on the New York Times bestseller list. At some point Lance's Lance left his wife and started dating a very famous person by the name of Julie Gillar Sheryl Crow. Just a little bit that new EPO tests were being formulated, so Lance and his team had to be smarter about it. They started doing it all nights so it wouldn't show up so sorry, late at night, so it wouldn't show up on the same day tests. They also started doing blood transfusions, which increased blood oxygen capacity. Lance was now pressuring the team all to do this. They did it in front of Cheryl, and Lance told her that every team was doing it.
Speaker 2: I suppose you wouldn't know if you were involved in I would just say, like Lance Armstrong and Cheryl Crow, two famous names, famous people we know. But if you just think of a couple named Lance and Cheryl.
Speaker 1: Yep, oh my god, yeah, exactly. A hot couple that you think of your mind doesn't cast hot right away.
Speaker 4: Do they?
Speaker 1: There is there a drag queen called Cheryl Hole.
Speaker 4: I feel like there is.
Speaker 2: It might be, well, is there a part of missing there?
Speaker 1: No, I don't think there is.
Speaker 4: I feel like it's Cheryl Hole cher whole Crow.
Speaker 2: Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's just at the end in two when you sing a song.
Speaker 1: In two thousand and four, a journal accused him of doping and had very credible sources, people very close to him.
Speaker 2: What this might be an I have questioned, but why weren't they just testing all the time that they were doping in a certain way, that he.
Speaker 1: Was doping at night and then they would test the next day, so it often wasn't traceable on that everything. In two thousand and five, Lance won his seventh to a defrance.
Speaker 2: Wow, do you know how to say seven in French?
Speaker 4: Seventh?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: He addressed his haters in his speech. He was really patronizing and said that he done hard work and he won all the championships himself, trying to draw attention away from doping when he was talking.
Speaker 2: And what look, what I will say is he has done hard work. Yeah, but I will also say, like just kind of be a little bit exactly two things can be true, and also just like just sit down a bit, you know it, don't be rasted loud and no I don't even mean that, but like, why get up there and be hateful and patronizing like threatening other people?
Speaker 4: He was invincible though he really is.
Speaker 1: Oh you've gone out with Sheryl Cole, the then Lance retired crow Crow.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I keep kidding, that's.
Speaker 2: Why, right, So there's a Sheryl coal Is someone as well.
Speaker 4: Maybe I don't know. I want to look it up. After then, Lance retired from cycling. He wanted to protect his legacy.
Speaker 1: Lance, of course intimidates and bullies anyone that opposes him.
Speaker 2: Still, I despise the fact that you said, of course, because.
Speaker 4: But look at him.
Speaker 1: Lance was on SNLS. I don't know live joking about testing his urine.
Speaker 4: Oh god, the.
Speaker 1: Urine comes from when he is disposed of. He paints the person. So, Betsy, who's the person that went against him in his claims? Who was actually the person in the in the hospital room who said, oh, he admitted, He admitted it. He admitted openly in the hospital about.
Speaker 4: All the drugs.
Speaker 2: He was sorry. Some random person in the hospital heard him talk.
Speaker 1: A friend of his, he was an ex friend now, but she was like in the hospital room when he was like listing off all.
Speaker 2: The drugs he was taking, and she went publicly, oh, Betsy.
Speaker 4: Betsy called her.
Speaker 1: He called her unstable publicly, and he was all over the place. He broke up with Sheryl Crow and started dating a slew of Hollywood stars. A year after his retirement. I can't Ginsey Gohan, I don't think that's no. A year after his retirement, a man by the name of Floyd won the Tour de France. After his crown champion, he was found out to be cheating. He denied it right away, and he fumbled over his words. He got to advise from Lance. Lance called him and told him that he needed to say absolutely not. They were all teammates, and Lance was clearly worried that maybe they would start digging into him. Floyd was forced into arbitration and sped mean two million dollars on his own defense. He was barred from pro cycling for two years and is the first Tour de France's winner in over a century to be stripped of his title.
Speaker 2: In over a century. Is interesting that somewhere before as.
Speaker 1: Well, he developed a bad binge drinking habit, and he fell off the ladder and broke a lot of bones.
Speaker 2: Fell off a ladder, yeap, fell off the ladders in.
Speaker 1: Like no, no, no, and he ended up getting hooked on painkillers.
Speaker 2: Oh that's awful.
Speaker 1: And then all of a sudden Lance announced that he was coming out of retirement. Floyd wanted to then join Lancer's team, but the manager of the team stated that Floyd was now too toxic. In April twenty ten, Floyd wrote an email to the head of US Cycling naming names of all the people that were doping.
Speaker 2: Oh so he's kind of gone if I'm not a ladder to come back.
Speaker 1: He then admitted publicly to doping. He wanted to clear his conscience.
Speaker 2: Lloyd did, yea.
Speaker 1: The FBI looked into it and looked into Lance a little bit too, I did.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Why didn't realize it was actually a criminal.
Speaker 1: Thing doing though, if you're winning money and everything, it must be Yeah.
Speaker 2: I suppose it could be fraud or if any of the drugs related.
Speaker 1: Yes, there was one man who wanted to bring him down. A man by the name of Travis, who interviewed Kelsey, Yes, who interviewed everyone who was willing to come forward.
Speaker 2: And he's speak going to tell me who Travis is.
Speaker 1: No, he's a journalist. Sorry, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. A man by the name of Travis, and he spoke to the Guardian. The witness testimony painted a pretty damning picture of Lance. They found that Lance used a lot of performance enhancing drugs. He encouraged others to dope and violate the rules. Lance was given the chance to testify, but he refused. He maintained his innocence. He stated it was an unfair process, but he wasn't going to succumb to their bullying. Lance got dropped by eight sponsors in a single day.
Speaker 2: This is the thing, right, and it can be a double edged sword, because if you were innocent of it, you would des fy, you'd go yep, like you know, just everything this is a like find something wrong, you won't, so not doing so does make you seem guilty. And the reason I say to double edged sword is because that's that's probably the wrong term, but that's unfair as well. If someone isn't guilty, yeah, it just doesn't want to go through that. But I mean, we know he was so exactly well he could have just cleared yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he lost all of his sponsors in an entire day. Forbes estimated they'd lost around one hundred and fifty million dollars in future earnings. In January twenty thirteen, Lance Armstrong was in Austin, Texas. He was being interviewed, but for a very different reason than usual. This time, it's not about his record breaking seven wins on the Tour de France. He was being interviewed this time by Oprah Winfrey.
Speaker 2: Oh I've heard of her.
Speaker 1: Oprah said yes or no? Did you ever take banned substances to enhance your cycling performance? Right away? Lance said yes. He admitted to using a large amount of banned substances and doping methods in all seven of his Tour Defront's victories.
Speaker 2: Well, it took him almost two years to actually like from when he was so was this journalist Travis essentially was like, I'm going to out him for this. Did so he still maintained his inno sense, but it kind of went nowhere because obviously he couldn't prove.
Speaker 1: But even if you look back at like when he was on Saturday Night Live and stuff, he was joking about it for a long time. So they were always whispers.
Speaker 2: That were always big, like the big kind.
Speaker 1: Of baking breaking point was travers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Lance said that whole time, No way didn't but then didn't try to prove that he didn't improve it just kind of went quite went to ground for two years and then went on Oprah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and to say something about this.
Speaker 1: People have been suspecting this for a long time. But it was the first time he actually admitted it out loud. Oprah also talked about his bullying behavior into silencing people who attempted to blow the whistle, calling the person a whore and then suing her for liabilities, as Betsy calls her a whore and then suit her liability.
Speaker 2: I hate this guy.
Speaker 1: He then said in the interview, laughing it off, that he sued lots of people during that time, so he's unsure if that person.
Speaker 4: Was sued in particular.
Speaker 2: Get fuck.
Speaker 1: He was also lying in the interview he did not stop doping in two thousand and five. He also said he never insisted his teammate should cheat, but twelve of them came forward and said that he did.
Speaker 4: Oh yes.
Speaker 1: He continually lied in the interview and laughed things off. Lance has since appeared in few documentaries and made several appearances. He has a popular cycling podcast Now he started Looking, he started a medical marijuana clinic, and oh American athlete has won the Tour de France since two thousand and six. That She Love is a brief story about Lance Strong.
Speaker 2: I really hate him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I don't think he's a good guard.
Speaker 2: I feel like what I knew about it, Like I was quite young when it was all happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, And what I.
Speaker 2: Remember of it was that he, Yeah, it was found out that he was doping. It was a really un like everyone kind of felt a bit sad about that, but because he'd done such great things for the cancer charity and like, yes, he was doping, but he was still amazing, and it's been hard to know how to react to it. That is my memory of it. I don't know why. Maybe that's how I was kind of told the story. I don't know, but hearing that I'm going.
Speaker 4: To fuck this guy exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and good on him for doing great things for a cancer charity, not away at all, But.
Speaker 4: Don't take the money back, guys, No, it doesn't, can't.
Speaker 2: But this I fucking hate this Guy's like there like appit to me of toxic horror.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, would you please sing me the Terry song?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: As I quickly quickly look up.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is a song I'm gonna say straight off the bat. I didn't make it up, Chris Lily did. But it goes like this, Terry, Terry, you make me very merry, even though you're very very hairy, I'll Always Love My Terry And Joel Creese's father's named Terry, and I sang that song to Joel Creese's father after about eighty five champagnes out his birthday and that's when we fell in love.
Speaker 4: There is a singer called Cheryl Cole.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, so Cheryl Hole is a clever drag queen name, but it's not a play on Cheryl Crow. And according to a quick Google surge, Lance Armstrong actually dated Kate Hudson. Yeah right, wow, yeah, and he's also been thinked to fashion designer Tory Birch and Ashley Olsen.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kate Hudson he briefly dated in two thousand and eight.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah. It's an interesting story though, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Or it is it's just like, yeah, I oh, he's just everything about like he's the or could be one of the poster children for the type of toxic male.
Speaker 4: That I just despise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oh yeah, it's just yeah, I mean the whole the whole story.
Speaker 2: You like, have he ever charge with anything? You said the FBI got involved.
Speaker 4: I don't know if he's ever charge with anything. I don't think he was.
Speaker 1: Right, and if you know the answer to that also, I do want to say as well, I'm going to be starting a drag queen character based on Cheryl Crowe called Cheryl Hole.
Speaker 2: I think we should work on it, Souse. I think, first of all, you've actually already said that that name's taken.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's but it's that's it based on Cheryl Cole. I'll do the same name, but it's based on shell Crow.
Speaker 2: Because I love you, I'm going to tell you I don't think that's very good.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yes, we're a liar.
Speaker 2: What about Cheryl blow Job?
Speaker 4: It's not that good.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that's an interesting story about the case of Lance Armstrong. We'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions if you want to comment on this episode on the Spotify episode. If you want to do that, you can write in samit just another company, dot com dot au.
Speaker 2: You can leave us a voice note via the website called speak Pipe. The link to that is in our show notes and on our Instagram bio. Oh wait, what was that Instagram?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've got it.
Speaker 2: I'd not another crime podcast. It's the same thing on TikTok and you can watch us on YouTube and follow.
Speaker 4: Us you Chune is so funny. It's such a funny place to be.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny because it's like, uh, you like it could be like ur l but it's you, so it's like you like yourself on the tube in London. Do you think that's funny? No, I'm gonna my.
Speaker 4: Lube. What is that?
Speaker 2: You lube or lou glube tube?
Speaker 1: Well mine's always been Bonella Lawson, which is a bit like lube, A bit like lube. Anyway, everybody, I hope you enjoyed the episode that we just did about I'm Strong, very strange, but Lance, I'm strong anyway. We'd love to hear thoughts about it. Thank you everyone for listening. Shared this podcast with a friend as well. Leave a five star rating, leave a fine star review.
Speaker 2: I think if I was a school bully who had gone to school with Lance Armstrong, and I'm only now knowing in hindsight that he turned out to be a horrible person, I wouldn't have bullied him in school, but now I know that I would call him lancearm Week.
Speaker 1: Why isn't there a band called Dance arm Strong.
Speaker 2: TM trademark Hey we've got to go, We've got I've got to get.
Speaker 4: Some plans that pen real quick. Bye, everybody,