Speaker 1: Mom.
Speaker 2: Always always be careful.
Speaker 3: Love those umboo.
Speaker 4: Let well use your head, they will tear you lack a paper talk.
Speaker 5: Oh no no, no, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, oh no no no.
Speaker 6: Hi.
Speaker 5: I'm Amanda and I'm Remy.
Speaker 3: Welcome to It's Layer.
Speaker 5: We're in a long distance friendship that started over twenty years ago when we were in high school.
Speaker 3: We'll be talking about all things life, love, family, anything and everything else under the sun.
Speaker 5: Delve deeper with us because in life, you know, Jine my layers.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Welcome everyone. Today, we have such a special episode for you all. I'm sure by now you've heard of the amazing audio drama Private Affairs, and we've got some of the cast with us today and of course the creator with us today, and we're just going to be delving deeper into what we're calling Layered a Fairs, the custo and crew of Private Affairs. Yes, welcome guys. So we've got the creator, the writer, the director, the enter, the producer, Christine Kicks, High Kicks. How are you going? Hey, ladies, what's up?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 5: Welcome?
Speaker 3: I was so excited to have you.
Speaker 8: This is so exciting.
Speaker 4: I'm really curious to hear what everyone else will say as you get into these topics.
Speaker 3: So yeah, just like Tom not your fo todam listening.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also got ron Kat, who plays the character of Luke.
Speaker 9: How you going wrong?
Speaker 10: I'm good good. It's wonderful to see such beautiful faces.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Speaking of beautiful faces, we've got swinging Chinooka, who plays the character of Mattie.
Speaker 6: How you going I'm so good? This is such a cool experience. I feel like I listen to podcasts all day every day, so I'm like, what I have to be on this is exciting.
Speaker 3: Well, you're a voice actor, so you're probably used to hearing your own voice, but when you first heard of voices on podcasts, were like, what I sound like that?
Speaker 6: I don't think you can ever get used to it. So when I had to listen back to the podcast, I had to pep talk myself to not judge myself because I feel like everyone on this podcast has such a sultry, sexy, silky voice.
Speaker 2: Sexy.
Speaker 6: I listened, I'm like, come on, it's no me, but everyone was so cool to listen to.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, it was.
Speaker 6: I got out of my head and just focused on the the show as a whole, which is nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're going to get into that for sure. And last but not least, you got Greti kai Janny who plays the druel character of Ton Dy and also PJ Welcome, Hello, How.
Speaker 7: Are you good? Thank you for having me. It's going to be interesting and quite a I'm quite interested to hear from the people who've been consuming this content because, as you know, it's inder season two, so I'm actually very interested to hear how those who've listened to season one and where your allegiances are. And I'm actually very excited to hear this.
Speaker 1: And then, yeah, this is going to be good.
Speaker 7: I'm quite interested to hear from the consumers. This is great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're definitely gonna dove deepot on it. If you don't know, Private Affairs of an award winning romantic drama deal that was written by Christine. As we just said, she describes it herself as TV for your ears pigs. Can you please summarize what you think this audio drama is all about for people who.
Speaker 5: Are living under rocks, who have who have not less how discovered it already.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so Private Affairs follows the story, well, at least it starts off following v who is a recent transplant to Melbourne, Australia, and she meets a very charming and dashing sixty ussy doctor and they begin their relationship. It's an intercultural, interracial relationship. And she's helped along on that journey by her newly married cousin Matty and who's married to Tondy, as well as her smooth talking b if if Teff, who is problematic but very likable as well. So yeah, basically in a Nutchell, it's about dating and relationships across cultures.
Speaker 5: And you know, if I can ask what inspired you to do this drama this drama d romantic drama dy as a podcast, like your thought process and what led to that?
Speaker 4: So the story started out as a blog. So it started out as a factual like memoir blog. And my sister was one who was like, okay, why don't you turn it into a podcast, because by then I was obsessed with podcasts.
Speaker 8: I really wanted to make another.
Speaker 4: Podcast because my sister and I were doing a podcast together, but we you know, we wrap that up, but I wanted to continue on making stuff. So she gave me the idea of adapting the blog into a podcast. So there was one story from the blog that was really that just like never left me, you know, like you know, sometimes you have those ideas, they just kind of stick with you no matter what you do, it just kind of sticks with you. So yeah, so that's kind of like where it came from initially, and it continued to evolve. So it started off as factual memoir and then it eventually evolved into a full cost audio drama's.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, shout out to your sister though, for inspiring you to turn it into a podcast. Shout out to the people in your circle, you know what I mean, Like, you always need the people around you to encourage you sometimes to put push forward when you are like, oh I don't know or I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, definitely, And I definitely was quite you know, resistant to the idea initially because I like, who wants to listen to that?
Speaker 8: Like that's boring? And look at you now here we are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, eleven episodes, it's wild, it's great.
Speaker 3: Ron, What do you think has been the most enlightening part of playing Luke? You've obviously played other characters before, and you've had a lot of experience as a voice actor. Yes, I google. What's the most enlightening part of playing Luke?
Speaker 10: Well, to start off, just being a part of this, of this show. I mean, I've been acting my whole life, but voice acting, I've always it's always kind of.
Speaker 1: Been in the background. And I really really love what an actor can do with the voice.
Speaker 10: You know, you can play so many different characters because of animation or podcasts now and just being a part of this and seeing the evolution of Luke even actually, you know, let's start from the very beginning, even from the beginning with Christine of even being at her apartment and recording that, you know, just from the bedroom, and then that's the level it was at. You know, it was so green, it was so sticks and stones. And then from season one, having such a nice fan base, so many people just latching onto this, enjoying this obviously because the writing is just so natural and so easy.
Speaker 1: It's such a such a gift for an actor to read writings that's quite real.
Speaker 10: It was very easy to read and it looked very real, and it was very easy to I guess, perform, especially with Rati who's a natural and Christine, who's so lovely and warm on set. I guess it was just so much fun from going from season one to season two, being in now a studio, and yeah, I just loved I didn't necessarily I like Luke, but I just loved the entirety of just just everything, being able to perform with everyone again because I had such a blast in season one, and then season two really up the game. We introduced Garrett and Simba and everyone else, and I guess just that without standing corny and cliche, I think taking it to the next level was super enjoyable and being able to perform again.
Speaker 5: The way it's written, it's so natural, so it feels like you are in it with you and it's like, yeah, I can I can see this happening, or I know that person, or I know the feeling, or I've had those conversations, or I can imagine having those conversations. So I totally get that. And do you feel like Luke is misunderstood as a character, because I'm sure you've gotten some level of team Luke team Taff you know kind of we saw that play out quite a bit in season two because I mean, no spoilers something, you know, just there was a bit of a you know, you could see them kind of trying to up one each other, and there is a bit of that team Luke team Taff. And do you feel like Lukes misunderstood and if so, what way for.
Speaker 10: The bankrobery scene and the paragliding I gets crazy, You're told.
Speaker 1: I think every character is misunderstood.
Speaker 10: I think the reason why this writer the writing is so good is because every characters so many flaws. You know, V is so up and down, up and down. Same thing with Luke, same thing with every character. So it really depends. Like I like the fact that Luke is divided. Every character is divided. You know, as soon as one character is likable throughout, that's just boring. It's boring writing, you know, because each character has so many different ups and downs, and you're like, oh, Luke did this term and then Luke was like yeah, it's good, and then V died this Darren and then Lie. That's what creates, you know, That's like it's like life. You know, you can look back at yourself. You know, I'm I'm a fifty eight year old man. Now no I'm twenty seven, and I look I look back at like all the shit that I did when I was twenty twenty one, and I'm like, I was such an idiot. And then I look back and there were some things that I really liked when I was twenty twenty one. And that's the beauty with the writing. It's up and down, up and down, and it flows beautifully. So to answer your question, I like that, Luke is you know there's I think every character to fifty to fifty. I was listening to the podcast again today and I was like, damn, it looks such an idiot, and then it's like, looks okay, and then much is this and yeah, it's it's a beautiful balance.
Speaker 3: It's good that you brought up Mattie because I think she was a polarizing character this season. We thought she was bestie in season one and then season two.
Speaker 9: What like you, Matti?
Speaker 3: Like yeah, we felt like you really as a character gave us so much energy. How exciting was it for you at SUNGI to get to know MATCHI not just being a bestie like you were in season one, but see more flaws and nuance to your character.
Speaker 6: It was a really interesting process for me because it felt like I got to know a version of myself where because I left Zim when I was seven and then moved to England and then moved here. I get to live a different life to maybe my cousins who are still there, or maybe my cousins who have are still set in the same exact traditional ways. I feel like I live a more liberated, care free and you can uphold traditions and be liberated, of course, but I feel like Mutti is still working under the pressures of her family and now Tonda's family too, and I feel like there's a parallel universe where that is my life. So it was really interesting getting to live through Mutsy and experience the challenges that she's having as this newly married woman.
Speaker 2: I'm not at that.
Speaker 6: Stage in my life, so it was kind of kind of seeing what life could be like one day in that experience. So it's so strange when you get a character like that that's going through things that you aren't going through and you haven't gone through, and having compassion and not putting your own views on it because that's her life, that's her journey, and that's her circumstances, and she's working with with what she has and she's so strong within it too.
Speaker 2: So you learn from them too.
Speaker 5: For sure, And I think you played her so beautifully, showing as Ron alluded to the flaws in each character that Christine wrote so well, and you all embodied really well and one of the very And this is about to be a spoiler. If you have not listened to Private affilase here and go back.
Speaker 3: What are you doing on this episode?
Speaker 5: Please okay listen because we're about to do some spoilers. But what were your thoughts as a character about Matty cheating on ton.
Speaker 3: Be with haf And you know, I.
Speaker 5: Think you really just blew up in this season in terms of like we got to see you shine through and I remember I remember when Insecure came out and Molly became a quote unquote problematic character and people had a lot to say. I really think that the season really spotlighted you in a different light. So to ask the question again, what were your thoughts as a character about Matty cheating on with Chav Like, Okay, yeah, that experience like playing or you know, embodying that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean in real life obviously I don't condone cheating, but in her circumstances, I felt the way that I empathized with her was knowing that she's lived a very step by step life, school, marriage, now pursuing kids, and I feel like she has so much repressed, So much of her personality has been repressed, so much of her experience in life has been repressed. And obviously she hasn't pursued those interests in the most ethical way. But I feel so many women who've jumped straight into marriage and maybe had the pressure of their culture, can't explore themselves. She's never explored herself sexually, she's never explored herself outside of this relationship, and it was just that boiling point and she's put in this vulnerable moment and done things that she isn't proud of. But it's like she's she's becoming a woman and potentially now a mother, but she's still got this teenage cubucent energy about her where she hasn't fully found herself.
Speaker 5: She's ready to live well, she wants to explore and live a bit more than she's been allowed to given herself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're definitely right when you say that, because when you guys are in Thailand, Okay, I'm saying you guys were the characters were in Thailand argument with Tonda, you were like, no, if this you came here to party, like, I'm not going to chase after him. I'm not gonna Which really was you choosing you? Is how we saw it as fans. So when you're hearing you say that, it does loop in that Yeah, that rebellious energy a bit like it's about me now. So yeah, really good to hear you say that, Gary Kay, welcome. How has it been joining the Cat for the second season? Did you just like slip straight in or how did it feel for you?
Speaker 7: The context that most people don't have is I always believe, like the reason I love acting so much is it allows you to have perspective and scope of if you if you choose, if you believe in the art, helps you speak by myself, it helps me grow as a person. So coming from Zimbabwe's we all know I was never supported and aspiring to be an actor, like everyone knew it, Like everyone who saw me as a kid. It was like bruh, you need this chill, you know, like all those all those things which which which which lived in me or probably were so present when I came to Uni and I told my family, you know, I want to do acting. I was not the That was not what my family back on was trying to hear. It was very no, no, true, but that I would do it not to green one angle, like you know, it's it's one of those things where you don't get support. And why I'm giving you that context is I didn't actually stepped away from acting for about three years, and a friend of mine told me about the podcast because I was getting that itch, that creative itch, and he said, you know, Christine's got think called private affairs. I literally called Christine the night after shit closed auditions, so I actually wasn't yeah BMT yeah. So hence hen's why I said, I'll give you proper context is in my journey to here and why this has been so special, it's been so fun. I called her. My wife was out. I was babysitting two kids and trying to convince this lady I need an audition. Kids are crying. She's like, dude, can you organize yourself? So she then gives me a shot. She's like, you know what, Sunday, let's do the audition. She shows me two characters. Tondy automatically has so much. He has so much for me, I call it traumatic events or he has so much life here, has so many flaws here, so many challenges, complexes, Like there's just so many layers there. I'm like, okay, that is so jumping out and PJ is Pj's interesting. Reminds me of certain people that I knew, and I was like, I could do that, but you know, it was Tondy that jumped out of me. Sin gave me the opportunity. And why it's been so great as like you said before, the way she wrote it, like the way I got to read the story and got to see the development of the content. It's just this is massall, Like it's so easy to be part of it because the way it's written, you're not struggling so much, Like you just have to trust the words. You just have to be present, like if you're present with your partner. And it's great to have Christine there present because she knows what she's trying to create. So to answer your question, it's been easy stepping into it because for me, I've had this support. Also, remember I'm coming in season two, so I ain't got the pressure of one like I'm coming in and Johndy's a bad guy anyway perception, so I can come in at whatever, you know, at whatever, and the family was great. So it's been fantastic coming back into it, finding something that has pulled me back to something. I love working with Christine and the team and just being an environment where it was so easy to work and it was so much fun. So it's been great, it's been it's been amazing.
Speaker 5: That's so dope, and kudos to you just your story. And I think, again, this is why we do our podcast, sharing the you know, these desires we have as people, and I think people of our background most of us here, I Wasimbabwean and and knowing the journey of trying to do something that's out of sort of the scope that we've grown up knowing and so so inspiring. Garta, I really, I really appreciate that. And even Christine's own story, you know, personal journey into becoming a creator. I think it's very interesting. Maybe we can touch on that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so like okay, so spoiler okay, So the character I borrow a lot of emotions from like my real life, and I inforced.
Speaker 8: That I infuse that into the story.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's fictional, but it's you know, the the emotions are very true, so to speak. So in season too, we learn a lot about like how we feels about work. You know. I had a very similar situation where I was quite you know, depressed about what I was doing with work and feeling lost in life really, so I started writing really as a creative outlet, and that was just the beginning process, writing blog posts, and then that evolved into contributing to a magazine, Madame Noir in the US really like that, but you know, the pressure of writing weekly was just like getting to me.
Speaker 8: And I also didn't like how.
Speaker 4: Like writing for magazine or sort of changing the type of content that I was writing. So I first started off writing personal essays, but then I started writing more think pieces, which is great because it became like the foundation of like the research that I was doing for season one, but I wanted to go back to writing more personal stories as so then that's when, you know, I got into exploring more topics with my sister in a podcast format, like similar to what you guys do, and then that evolved into radio music curation, you know, and then finally came back to writing with this podcast and really going in with fiction, you know, the fictional aspect of it and like really trying to build out a world and thinking to myself, like, Okay, what would have happened if this had happened instead of like what actually happened in life? Because honestly, my life is not that interesting, So you gotta infuse Ron's looking at me like my.
Speaker 5: Life a movie, trying your life to know I get you.
Speaker 4: No, for real, Like there were times like when we were recording and Ron I was like, is this real?
Speaker 8: Like it doesn't matter if it's real.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 3: The biography, No it is.
Speaker 5: It's not exactly creative license. That's like you so much for sharing. I just thought those stories kind of really tied into each other and just like the journey of constantly seeking to find yourself and explore yourself and coming back to you, can.
Speaker 7: I just say something from me just on that, just while you're there. It's one of the things. So like I said, Christine's got to learn about me really quickly in short space, because she'll tell you this. I call all the time, and I'm like, dude, I need people like you to be celebrated and you need to keep doing what you're doing. I'm like, I'm not letting you stop doing it, Like I don't know how often I call it. She'll tell you, like if you look at her phone, it's so I'll just message around.
Speaker 3: Sorry I didn't back.
Speaker 7: You see. But to the point of what, like what you're talking about, like, it's so we should you know, celebrate it and we should same to you guys as well, like in terms of how much work you've put in the tenure, like the podcast you know, congratulations because it's not it's it's it's it's not the obvious course, and there is such a beauty behind sharing and creativity and you know what you have to what you have to give and being that vulnerable because I always say vulnerability is a purest currency. You can be vulnerable, I can be vulnerable. We can have the greatest connection, or we can achieve so much or bridge so much within that space. But it takes a lot. So that's why I champion people like this or the work you do, because it inspires.
Speaker 4: And what's like for you know, absolutely absolutely and shoot your shots.
Speaker 5: Start sliding it to DMS and all, yeah, but shoot your shot for sure. Coming back to you, do you think your character toun day is under societal pressure, hence the keenness to have kids because we see, you know, in this season, it's a lot about that conversation between Tonday and Mate around having Children's.
Speaker 7: A good question like when I when I look at Tondy and to Tundy today, Yeah, tunder eye, and when I look at thunder Ie you equantum, thank you. I think that ultimately he has so many flaws and challenges which he is struggling with himself. There's family pressure, there's personal pressure, There's there's words he says, you know, always he keeps talking about your embarrassing me. You know, he keeps referring to this whole you know, how long are you going to make me? Or you'll be making a fool of me? He does have an image perception. There is there is a strong presence of internal battles for Tundy about how he's perceived. But I think a lot of that's got to do with it's internal, really, and the external is probably how I get to express it or how I get to how I get to how it manifests, I guess, But it's internal a lot of it. So it's kind of it's kind of like it all collides into into one world. But it's mainly internal I feel, and then the external stuff is this noise, and the noise doesn't allow him time to process the internal. So with that added context, that's why he's so erratical. That's why you know he can be so sweet and so loving, Like there's there's always struggle, is tension, and then there's also like and then there's also you know, no tension, so it's a constant battle. I think. I don't know if that answers your question.
Speaker 5: No, it does, and and I like how you you mentioned that the internal sort of turmoil or whatever he's going through because of the societal noise, he can't even work that out for himself. So that's an interesting, interesting take on to thank you.
Speaker 3: This season, we did see it what we deemed a fan seeing it turn into more darker themes, obviously addressing mental health, domestic violence, sexual assault, you know, or even just the drama you face in the workplace, you know, And we just want to ask kicks, you know, what, was it intentional they should this season be a little bit darker in that way, and if so, for each of the characters, how did you guys see that elevation in terms of your performance to convey that correctly and accurately.
Speaker 10: Hm.
Speaker 8: Intentional.
Speaker 4: That's an interesting word, because I feel like my writing process is a little bit.
Speaker 8: How can I explain it.
Speaker 4: It's it's an organic process, and it's sort of like I call it like dancing with God in the sense of like if you've ever done partner dancing, you know, and you're the follower, you're supposed to, Yeah, you need to move your body. You need to like, you know, know how to do the basic dance moves.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 4: So that's understanding story structure. That's understanding you know, doing your research all of that stuff.
Speaker 8: You need to have the basics down.
Speaker 4: But really I'm taking cues from the muse, the.
Speaker 8: Universe, you know.
Speaker 4: I'm just listening to whatever comes into my head, you know. So the process of writing actually was like it took It's hard for me to actually say how long it took for me to write the script, because for a period of like six months, I was just I had like a notebook where I was just writing down random lines of dialogue, like something would just pop into my head. I'm like, Okay, let me write that down. I don't know who's going to say that. Sometimes I didn't know which character was going to say it, but I was like, Okay, somehow this is going to maybe manifest into something. So anyway, so after that, I had like a huge pile of like random things that I then started to organize, you know, into like a story.
Speaker 8: Structure almost like thing.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it kind of happened organically, and even I had doubts about the direction that the story was going in, you know, because I was like, you know, this is quite risky because it is darker than season one. I was really concerned that are people going to vibe with it still because people are used to one thing and now we're taking a sharp turn, you know, into drama. But I really just had to trust the source and follow the journey. Yeah so intentional, I guess so. But I do think that it was a good lesson for me as well when it came down to actually producing it, because I learned that, yeah, drama is harder to produce in my view, Or maybe it was because I understood more of like what I was doing in terms of like the story structure and why certain characters had to come up a certain way in particular scene for the whole thing to actually make sense, which made it. Yeah, I think a little bit more challenging to actually execute in production as well as in post production, in editing, as well as the sound design, because the sound is doing a lot of storytelling itself.
Speaker 8: But that's my take. I don't know if the other.
Speaker 4: Guys agree with that, especially I Ron and TUNGI you guys did season one. I don't know if you guys felt the difference in terms of like the level of difficulty for your performances.
Speaker 6: I think I remember having this conversation while recording, and you were worried about the shift, and I think with it kind of does a wonderful thing, like shows like Afterlife do where you can't have the light without the dark, and a lot of great comedy shines a light on the dark. And I feel like while doing that, you bring with that vulnerability, bring in more p You've reached more people because you've been more vulnerable, and I feel like everything that you touched on helped someone heal. Like maybe they clicked on that podcast that day thinking like, yes, this is my like feel good, I'm gonna laugh, and yes they will laugh and they will have fun while listening to it. But they did acknowledge something they still need to heal through in that time. So I think it was necessary. And if something's just light all the way, it's as an actor, it's not as fulfilling like I love when you get the nitty gritty dark roles and you have to go there and explore something you've never personally explored, but knowing that there's such a greater purpose at the end of it, which is hopefully a lot of healing for a lot of people's. I loved it. It was it was just the meat. Looking at that script, I was like, this is a meal, a feast for an actor dead and run for you.
Speaker 1: I'm actually going to agree. I disagree with both of you, ladies. Actually I'm going to go again.
Speaker 7: Oh yes.
Speaker 10: The reason as to why I'm going to disagree is because I didn't find it darker. I actually found it very easy to go into season two because it flows so damn well. Because with season one it is so exciting. You know, you've got two brand new characters. It's very exciting. We're starting a new world. You know, when you're single meeting a new person, it is very exciting. The romances they're figuring out who these people are.
Speaker 1: You're not going to jump into something.
Speaker 10: You know, if you go on a date with someone and you blurt out all your insecurities and stuff like that and all your worst things.
Speaker 1: I mean, maybe you do, I don't know, but for me, that's a bit of a red pla. I like to enjoy the person, you know. I like to have fun.
Speaker 10: I like to be a rombunctious and while to do all these crazy things.
Speaker 1: Season one was we're exploring v and Luke and it's exciting all these new people.
Speaker 10: Season two, when they know each other, then life comes into play. The season two, that's when we start seeing, as you were saying, Sooni, the nitty gritty stuff. So I think it didn't take a darker turn. I think it just flowed really well. I think that's just what life is. You know, when you're in a long relationship with someone, you start seeing some bad things, you start seeing some good things. And again season two, sure there was some bad things and good things. But to reiterate on Christine's writing, that's just how good it is.
Speaker 1: It's up and down.
Speaker 10: If it was up the entire way we get a rehash of season one, we'd probably I don't know, if we'd lose more viewers, if we gain more viewers.
Speaker 1: For me personally, I just keep comparing it to season one.
Speaker 10: But for season two, it just naturally goes into life. Yeah, I think, very very easily. So for me, I didn't This is going to sound weird. I didn't find too much difference. It was just re entering that world physically. The only thing that was different was physically meeting Garrick and sim and being in a new room, in a new context and new equipment. But I don't care for that. It was just the work. It was just being in a room and connecting with these people.
Speaker 1: Rather, Christine, did we do that during COVID? Was that twenty twenty?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It was a bust, say you guys recorded in COVID.
Speaker 1: That's wild?
Speaker 3: Yes, who knows.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it was in a little four by four kind of bedroom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it right there.
Speaker 7: I knew.
Speaker 1: I just don't remember that.
Speaker 3: It looks brighter today.
Speaker 5: Speaking of that, I think, you know, Ron, you're talking about a natural progression, and we also, you know, got to see real themes brought out, and we got to also get a lot of backstory in some of the relationships, like for v and TAFF and one of that was obviously PJ coming into the into the picture and for you got Kai. How was it playing PJ And how did you find juggling the two different characters as a voice actor And when you're seeing these two characters and you're like, okay, thanks Christine, I'm just going in all in on these you know, really conflicting characters. I think they bring out a lot of you know, emotions for the listener. How was that for you getting to to play those two roles.
Speaker 7: I have a question when you did get to consume the PJ see and can you take me back to you as a consumer?
Speaker 2: I read.
Speaker 7: Can you? Can? You know? The reason why I say this right is do you guys touch on something which is quite beautiful in terms of I love the writing in this season because it touches on so many things that people call duck and people say they're not so light. But one of the biggest issues I have is there's not enough conversations happening about this. There's just not enough conversations happening about things that and not to go entirely duck. Like I went home in February and it is a love when I was talking to people and like, suicide rate is ridiculous at the moment, you know, like there's there's real shit going on right now, but it's just not being discussed or it's just kind of it's the way it is. So that's why for me, this show, the way it does it and the way it presents these topics of that, throwing it in your face but giving you enough of it, especially if you're not exposed to it. Having said that, you will all probably have a friend who has gone through a scenario of like a PG situation or if not a friend of story you've heard what was that like for you as a as a as a viewer. Then I'll go back to your to your question. But I just wanted to know because I think it's it's one of the strongest scenes in terms of some traumatic ship that we've got to deal with. What was that was? What was that like experiencing that? Like if you can share, because that would be great, like to just understand or just hear from you me personally.
Speaker 3: Like with our podcast this, the reason we have it is to discuss things that Zimbabweans don't want to discuss, and obviously a lot of our issues. A lot of our topics I should say that we brought up this season actually aligned pretty well with what was happening on private affairs. So we're like kicks, like on.
Speaker 11: Some lethods were touching, We're touching, We're touching your coat, you know, like just because.
Speaker 3: But then it's it's funny when we spoke on domestic violence, when we spoke on mental health, the reaction and episode like that would get from listeners as opposed to talking about fashion or film or is. And I suppose that's where the word starts to come in, because it's stuff we just put in the closet, so it's hidden, it's not seen, it's not talked about. And you know when I was really proud to hear that scene, which sounds so odd to say, but I was proud because I was like, finally, in a way people can digest, in the way people can you can't listen to that episode and go hum, you know, like what a cooler moment. You're gonna have to be like, guys, what did you think about PJ? You know what I mean, Like, there's no way you can. And also because of the way we were introduced to him, just in that moment and then taken like it wasn't like you can latch onto anything else. If you're gonna talk about PJ, You're gonna talk about that. It's hand in hand, which speaks to the brilliance of Kickses writing as well, because it's it's consumed in a way that feels safe and for a podcast that obviously probably has quite a number of Zimbabweans listening, it's in a way that can drive conversation. So it all just for me. I was like, proud Mama, mom and Kicks you're doing the thing and like yeah, and like I guess yeah. PJ was literally everyone has a PJ in their lives. Every female has a p which is so sad to say, but at the same time, it was like if you've not personally gone through it, you for sure have someone who's close to you who has. So it felt relatable in that way where it was like, man, this happens way too often and what do we do about it?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Absolutely, And I could relate so well to being young. I think they were teenagers, right. It's like the high school mons or going you know, and that excitement and like you're with this person and you don't really know how to process those feelings and the situation because everyone's like, oh you guys, I don't know. I could relate to being a younger me who didn't have the vocabulary or the knowledge or the ability to be like this actually wasn't okay, just kind of like feeling stuck and kind of trying to just brush it away and deal with it. I think I could relate to it in that way, like I know, you know, you know someone who's gone through that. You know, you've been in situations where it was just like that was weird, like not knowing how to deal with that. Yeah, I think you did it so beautifully because I was like, I know that position or I know that feeling in some way, shape or form, and you know, we in zimity. You know the experience as a girl of being cat called, you know the experience as a woman. You just know that you've experienced some level of male interaction that made you uncomfortable and having to do with it and just live with it. I don't know how to explain so with that on no consequence, no consequence, so living hearing that, I was like, oh, I get that, And unfortunately, in V's case, she'd been in a relationship with PJ right like they well they were together. So it's like even more complex because I know our society would be like, ah, so what did you do to for to go like this? Or you're in a relationship, this is what it is? Well what did you expect? So it was so brilliantly done.
Speaker 6: So yeah, that sentence alone, what did you expect? Oh yeah, I've heard that so many times, Right, what did you expect?
Speaker 5: Oh? If you go out, if you want to have a good time, you're calling, You're asking for it. It's almost like this, Yeah, So can I.
Speaker 4: Just say shout out to to Gary and Ratti for really yeah working that scene. There were so many elements of that scene that we like during the process, we had to kind of like break it down, you know, to to get the steps right and all so accent. You know, that's another part of it. And then yeah, you know the sound effects as well, the kissing. You know, guys editing kissing sounds to make them sound realistic.
Speaker 8: I spend a long time.
Speaker 3: Editing kissing.
Speaker 1: I made up with myself so many times.
Speaker 4: But I will say I would say Ron does some pretty good fake kissing.
Speaker 6: Sounds he's run the back talent, my party talent and high school.
Speaker 10: High school was tough for me. It was just looking in the mirror, do this, you can do this? Oh, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 4: I think it was a very tough scene and it was by far the scene that took me the longest to edit.
Speaker 8: I think it's really two weeks to edit minute scene.
Speaker 6: Yeah, having been in the room with you, I feel like you you would have made it great because you made the room safe and you're directing was really safe. So it's a difficult scene and I haven't been had to do it, but I just know that you would have. You would have made it feel less triggering in that moment.
Speaker 7: I do need to give a shout out, like like Christine was saying, to say v because a character you know what I'm talking about in terms of that scene. To go back to your question, I'm I'm nothing like him. So when I saw it, I was like, I know so many people like this. That's that's the fucked up part of it where I was like, well, I know this guy is because I've been in situations where I'm like, okay, that's just not okay. And like you said, when you were a great conversation with Christine a while back where I was talking about like being from zim and having multiple siblings, and I was explaining it to someone in Australia and they would giving me there, giving me the oh, how was that for you? You know, having you know kids from you know, outside the marriage. I'm like, you, guys have to understand, there's not an exception. This is a norm. But at the same time, but doesn't make it fine. It's one of the things that makes it complicated. Why I say, we do have traumatic issues that we don't know how to process because it's just so, hey, this is everyday business. It doesn't make you special, and it's kind of yeah, let's keep it moving. But it's like, hold on, but no one gives me a chance to explore how I feel about this. And depending on when you're told this information, you're too young to understand or to have a voice back to your parents to say, wait, I need to challenge you on that. So it's not only trauma in that sense, but you can't process it. So by the time you get to a stage you're like, but hold on, that's not okay. Well, there's so much other shit that's thrown into us. And hence why I say these characters are living people that we know or there are a context of us to some degree. PJ fortunately is not someone who I am, but like I said, I see this and I can identify with the person. And what made it easier to do was my partner in the scene was so encouraging to be like, no, bro, like, we're not we're not we're not half doing this going in like you know, like we will make him feel uncomfortable, like and it was actually empowering to do that because he's not me, so there's no there's there's no too far when you're playing a TJ, I mean a PJ, because well, I can throw anything there. It's up to Christine then to say, Okay, I got to pull it back or not pick it up. Let's go. So it's actually fun playing a PJ in that small context because you have so much should I say you have, you have so much breath to do and to express or to explore. But at the same time you have to make sure that it's it's it's within a safe and it's it's it's it's within the intent of achieving the outcome of it. And yeah, so PJ was fun because I could I know I'm not him, so I'm like, Okay, well I can play this guy. But it's also empowering then because it gives me the opportunity to hear these stories because I don't know many girls I spoke to it like that age where who went through that and I was mature enough, Like you said, everyone has that experience. I say, a tool set. I say, we don't have the tools at that time to be able to do the task, and now I have the tools to be like I can have this conversation with women because I've taken enough of this, so I've seen our process enough of this as a human being and as a person to engage with you. So I don't know if that answers the whole PJ thing, but yeah, can.
Speaker 4: I just add about the safety and why it took a long time to edit that scene is because I was also thinking about the audience, and you know, I'm very conscious of like not wanting to like, you know, retraumatize people who are victims, you know, who have been victims to sexual assaults. So I was really intentional about like, Okay, let's get the point across, but not overdo it to the point where now you're re traumatizing someone.
Speaker 3: How do you decide the characters are kicks just as we're trying starting to go into our closing from the beginning, or as each season goes, or do you have the ending in your mind already, or where is this going for you?
Speaker 8: I have no idea.
Speaker 4: It's also kind of going on a journey when I'm writing as well.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 8: There are certain things.
Speaker 4: It's sort of like, well, Shonda rhymes, because she's like my virtual mentor in my mind.
Speaker 7: She talks.
Speaker 4: She talks about like characters are like really good friends. But you know, obviously you don't know everything about a really good friend, and with time you get to know more about them. So it's kind of like that persist in season one. There were certain things that I knew so obviously, well maybe not obviously, but I was planting certain things to then pick up in season two. So I knew Matty didn't want to have a baby. She just didn't know it yet.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I knew certain things about Taff as well, and his backstory and his relationship with v that wasn't revealed in season one. Season two. Season one, I didn't even have an ending, and I organized about that for a very long time because it was like, I think it was like two weeks until production and I didn't have an ending.
Speaker 8: So that was pressure.
Speaker 4: And then yeah, season two, I had an idea of an ending.
Speaker 8: I wasn't sure if V and Luke.
Speaker 4: Well, I thought V and Luke weren't going to make it to ZIM, but I wasn't sure. So it became a task of like, Okay, let's throw things at them and write it and you know, see if the ending makes sense by the time we get to it. So yeah, so I don't really know that's the.
Speaker 1: Best answer that she just you just said, you just you don't know where it's going to go.
Speaker 6: Yeah, hearing you talk about you dance with God.
Speaker 5: I was like, wow, dig into your mind, that's excellent right there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, why do you see that's the best dnswer?
Speaker 8: Why do you think that?
Speaker 10: Well, where are you going to be in the year twenty thirty five August the sixth, You know what I mean? Like, like who knows what the future is to hold?
Speaker 1: And that's exactly what this this this show is. It's just life. It's just really just good writing in life, and it's like if you.
Speaker 10: Have There are a lot of shows like there is a show in particular, it's called Breaking Bag, that little show. I think they I think they found the beginning and they found the end. I think I can't remember that's true, but I think they already had the end and then they filled all the metal pieces, which is fine, and the show became a huge, successful hit and it was wonderful. But every as you were saying, will be like like to get into the mind of an actor or an artist. It's different for every single person, and there is no right or wrong answer.
Speaker 1: Again, it sounds corny and cliche, but like I find, like math, science kind of there's always like one kind of yeah. But with arts, there's no rules. That's the exciting thing. There's literally no rules. And with Christine.
Speaker 10: You know, it's like I love that answer you having no idea because that's also so exciting and that makes me more excited for season three, four, five, six, seven, eight.
Speaker 5: I have said I am looking forward to collaborate and looking forward to seeing things on other platforms TV. I'm just putting it out there that was going to release it.
Speaker 3: You know, now what is next kicks, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Pay cinematic relays.
Speaker 7: We got this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm claiming it right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, what is next?
Speaker 4: Oh well, I take it, you know, I'm taking it one step at a time. So next thing is season three? Uh, raising funds for season three? You know, obviously I want to pay all these guys, you know, great talent. I want to be able to pay people, you know, So raising funds for a project like this does take quite some time. And audio drama fiction Immersive is one of the most expensive types of podcasts to make, which is why you don't hear a lot of them unless they're coming from other, like, you know, production studios that have a lot of money to put into it. So as an independent production, that is one of the.
Speaker 8: Biggest hurdles to cross.
Speaker 4: So but I'm you know, I have faith, you know, blind faith that we'll get there based on what I don't know, but I guess that's what faith is all about, right. But I do want to say a big shout out to the Australia Council for the Arts, Creative Victoria, the Scalon Foundation, the Jesse Cox Audio Fellowship, all the listeners who contributed to season one, Season two, because yeah, all of that really does make a huge difference in being able to create something of the quality that it is. And I think all the performances, you know, Jerry in the background doing the sound, I think everyone did such a great job. So yeah, season three coming up with the story, raising funds for it. If you want to support any listeners who are listening to this right now. If you want to support, you can donate at privatefaspod dot com, or you can also buy some merche the same place, private affairstpod dot com.
Speaker 5: Awesome. And I just wanted to say, you've mentioned dancing with God, so I don't think it's I don't think he's not gonna listen. You're in his ear already, if that makes sense. So I really that's just me being like, you know, you're already working with within that realm before.
Speaker 4: We go God. I do want to say, can I just address like, you know, people hinting at TV and stuff. I don't want to act like I don't hear it, you know, Yeah, it's just like whatever, girl, No, I mean I see the comments all the time. Yeah, let's let's say like, yeah, I am looking at trying to also have conversations around that. But you know, you guys know you've been in the industry. Some things take off, some things don't. So we'll see where it goes. But no matter what happens, season three is I'm striving to make like I need to get the story out, so it's going to come out one way or another.
Speaker 5: So there is a story. We just got the full one one the story, and season three we don't want to wait on Netflix.
Speaker 8: Yes, it's not ready, it's not it is, but the.
Speaker 9: Story is there.
Speaker 5: But you know, so we are ready look forward.
Speaker 7: To Can I ask one Can I ask one question quickly? Sure? When you guys were listening when I read this script and I saw this bluetooth a little situation now, I was like this Bluetooth. I was like this bluetooth you, I'm like, wow, we've been talking about freaking seat and so I just want to know when you guys were listening as the audience when the bluetooth scene came up, did you kind of think interesting? What what? What? Yeah? How was that for you? Because as soon as I read it, I was like, your fam bluetooth business? What was that for you? Guys? Like when you when you when you.
Speaker 5: Heard it please remind me. The bluetooth scene is this when Taff was in.
Speaker 11: The car, forget me, let me, let me tell the forward. What Okay, it'd be great to take a shower, and then Luke is like.
Speaker 3: And then like playing the voice for the thousand time because we know she'd been playing that since and then silence.
Speaker 9: Yeah in the living room voice recount, that's what.
Speaker 5: You mean by bluetooth, okay, And I understood. Okay, I'm with you. I'm with you, my bad, my bad.
Speaker 7: I because because because like when the script was there right and I'm reading it and the first piece happens, like with the bluetooth scene, like, oh, what's the game on my bluetooth? I was like that bluetooth bullshit is coming back to find someone. I'm like that that bullshit right there, that is not too random just to just just appear like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah, no, no fan, when I listen, well, I don't know, Manda, if you want to go first, no you go. When I that scene, I was like, Sins has had this thing on repeat and now she's trying to be like just my bluetoo number one, And I think it was for me. I was like, what was she trying to? What is she trying to discover or understand from listening to this voice note over and over again, Like she's running and she's listening to TAP's voice. I'm like, personally, when I run, I need me some music. I don't listening to random voice notes from voicemails from nobody from No, let's start there. And then so I'm like, what is she trying to and is it reparations for what Luke did? Like she's trying to be like, oh, but I've got my own you know something they're not. Do you understand? Like my brain was like maybe that was her thought process and then hey, yeah, then the scene. I mean, I mean, I completely understand why Luke would have questions because I'm like, but why you didn't? Why are you listening to this?
Speaker 3: And why look? Let that one goes so easy?
Speaker 5: You just like no, I'm like, ma'am, ma'am, ma'am, this means you're been listening to Itture.
Speaker 3: Zimbabwe with your back.
Speaker 5: Nope, That's how I took it. I don't know if it answers your question.
Speaker 7: I just had made that It's so good just to see you guys. So Animated because like, I got so many friends who were talking to me about their experiences, and Christine told me about the bedroom scene, the fight that I have with with with with Sunji, and so many people have been calling me to be like dude when that ship went down, man, because aside, you're with her with me like it's yo, it's it's play divisions like are you are you team A? I'm not ready? Are you team You're taking me for a fool? What the fuck you? It's it's it's interesting. It's good to see.
Speaker 3: I will say Kicks is writing and you guys's performances evoke things in us as listeners. And I don't know if you guys need feedback or not, but like, really, hats off to you because we we we obviously embody these people as if we're like and like Kicks has always said TV for your ears, and I think that's always stayed with me because I'm like, I'm picturing it. I'm like I'm there with them and what's going on, and and that just speaks to your talent all of you. So flowers like the biggest bouquet of flowers to you, and that's why you want to do this podcast episode with you as well, just to also to take a moment to acknowledge all the hard work that's gone into this. It's not being a creative is It's not an easy feat. You know, we're talking about mats and everything as an answer, but there's also an uncertainty that can come with creativity as well. But when you guys hit the nail on their head with this, it's just take a moment to also patch yourselves on the back. We are on this ride with you, and we are very very happy for all the content that we're getting. Trust me, I can listen back to season one over and over again. That also speaks because as consumers right now, we consume them with discard. So for us to be able to still go back and listen and still enjoy it as if I've never heard it and still recommend it and still share it and still speaks to the talent that we you guys deserve to get all the flowers.
Speaker 5: So agree. I'd be in the shower and I'm like wait what hold pause, and like I will never forget this. One day, I think I was in the shower and then and listening and my husband was like, what's going on because I'll be like comment, I'm like, oh no, you can't help it. I'm like, oh nah, girl, MATI like literally, that'd be me too.
Speaker 10: Starts hearing four voices come from the show, and then.
Speaker 4: It's well on the morning, listener said something sent through something The d MS people DM a lot they don't like to share publicly, but this listener said something really funny. Yeah, she said that season finale made me stop in my tracks in the middle of Walmart.
Speaker 3: Oh mg G.
Speaker 2: Yeah and Walmart.
Speaker 6: It's so, I know, it's like it's worldwide, but you just think our voices are in someone's ear is in America?
Speaker 3: Like what exactly exactly? Why do you guys think that's so? Why do you think everyone's like latched onto this?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 3: How does it read back to you guys? Why do you think it's such an important story to tell.
Speaker 6: It's just it's Christine's beautiful mind. Honestly, it's just the way you did it. Like when we get the scripts. I don't know about you guys, but I read it and I'm like, what's going to happen? Like I'm I'm a.
Speaker 2: Fan while reading it, and then I'm like, Okay.
Speaker 10: Yeah, as an actor when you're reading it for the first time, I guess the first people to get to see it are the actors, right, So when we're reading it, it's just like reading a good books, the same thing.
Speaker 7: When I read it, I was disappointed because I'm the only one who doesn't have sex. Just so clear everybody else is having a good time.
Speaker 5: But so literally.
Speaker 7: But no, to be serious, you asked a good question, and I think it goes back to the point I said before, is in I think we all identify with the characters because of things that we will because our audience is global, Like everyone who listens to this would probably be part of the diaspora family who will recommend it. And then what it then does is it allows other people to learn and share about cultural differences or context they're not aware of. So I think we all identify with someone or everyone within this and that's the beautiful work of the creativity of the content.
Speaker 6: Even like to read it being Shonglish, like it's like someone in the Spanish community will listen to it and think about how they incorporate their language into like everyday language and their jokes and slang too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I actually got another listener send then a note about the language, and they said, oh, I love that you put the language in there.
Speaker 8: It makes me, makes it feel real.
Speaker 4: So I think people, well, I think people like listening to it, even though you know, the audiences is actually quite diverse. It's not just you know, black people. It's not just Zimbabweans. It really is. When I look at the analytics, it really is across the world. Mostly women, but definitely people of all different cultures and backgrounds listen to it. And I think it's because it's human stories, you know what I mean. I think there's a level of relatability even if you haven't you're not from the specific background.
Speaker 8: I think you know.
Speaker 4: What I try to do is write things that are emotionally true, so I think people can tap into that.
Speaker 7: It's a super power. The character is actually last thing I'll say, because you asked me about playing PG and Tony, if you notice the difference of Tondy and PJ. TONI speaks more Shana, specifically to being allowed to have that, which is great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's wonderful. Before we wrap up and close, we just I guess would ask you any parting words for anyone aspiring to be within the creative industry, a voice action actor, right, just any last words, would go around and if you can share anything that you would like to share with our audiences who are like you know what I did want to do that X y Z, and I kind of put it on the back burner. And you know there's no space or time or I'm too old or I'm too you know that all these things that we tell ourselves to justify why we can or cannot do something. So maybe if we just go around. I would like to start maybe with Ron Daddy, So hey, look at me just calling you guys like right, I know you.
Speaker 3: People, I know everybody now I'm just like.
Speaker 5: I'm like you and Shunghi and then Christine to round us off.
Speaker 1: So Ron, where to start? Well, Christine, where did you start?
Speaker 10: What's behind you?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Literally where to start?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 10: But it's so funny. We all have iPhones, we all have microphone. It's it sounds hard, but all of the ideas are still are right here. You know you have an idea, go for it seriously, right, it may not come today. Have a little book, as Christine said, have a little book and just write down little things every day. Don't have expectations after six months if you do that every day, if you skip out on some weeks so that your book will be full and you'll have all this amazing, beautiful information and then goes to the next step.
Speaker 1: So don't have expectations of I want to do this, now, I want to do this, then I want to do this. It's all it's all very baby steps. Enjoy the process. You have fun.
Speaker 10: A lot of people forget to have fun, you know. I think I think we all we all have it in us. Every single human on this planet has art in them. We all have a favorite movie.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 10: Art is what from the very beginning of when humans first existed. You know, art, art is there. It's it's around us everything. So whether it be a short film, whether it be writing, whether it be music. Start.
Speaker 1: You know, it is possible. It's not impossible.
Speaker 10: And I've been on so many projects where I was on a TV show where we where none of the actors got paid. We did it because we enjoyed it. And that was that was green, that was very similar to Private Affairs. It was bare bones and then it got Netflix for three seasons. Right, So it's like just start. It sounds weird, but just start and have fun. And there are so many like minded people in this world. There's eight billion people.
Speaker 12: On this planet, you know, Like just just write something, just have fun, enjoy because Christine really like sparked that belly, sparked that fire in my belly for more voice acting, you know, and it's powerful.
Speaker 10: Art will affect you and you and it and or just enlightened so many other people, you know, and that's the beauty of art. It's just making people happy and connect. And I think just just start by just riding some stuff anything and.
Speaker 1: Go do it.
Speaker 5: Thank you so so much, Gottikai.
Speaker 7: Thank you. It's so nice to hear someone say my name correctly. It's great. They'll be like no, and like seriously because I'm in Australia, like so they can't roll their ars, they don't go so when someone says, I'm like, that's it right there, like you know, so behave yourself wrong.
Speaker 9: And it's so.
Speaker 6: Funny because Gottie and I are in the same area too, Like it's so that we're the only black people probably and that they're around three suburbs.
Speaker 7: Like my wife's always like, oh, people said they saw you and I'm like, yeah, because I'm the black dude of the Dreadlocks. This is like like demographic, beIN a whole bunch of us out here. Bro gone, let's let's be serious. Yeah. But to answer you, what I would say is I have a different take, which is similar in the fact that just love the art and understand why you're in the art. So, as I said to you guys before, I stopped acting for about three years because I got really frustrated because I was too mature to understand the business side of it. So I've been doing acting for a while. There's some really great projects done, like you know, great work and being on some really cool things, and you're always doubting yourself in questioning as a creative that always comes at the territory. But then when you remember why you do it. Like one of the things that I actually mature about was it's getting put on all these big projects and you start thinking, oh, if I get booked on that it's going to be like this. And because I was immature, I didn't understand that this is an art. This is a game that's about creativity, and it's all about you know, time and sharing and you know what you invest in it, and then when I when I when I left, I went into this space where I was exploring things, this living my life, and I realize art is about creativity. Creativity is about your interpretation or what you want to give or how you want to share with the world. It has no commercial association with it. If you are lucky to be in a project which then has which then has commercials which I say financials associated with it, then that's work. That's not art. So what I would recommend is no the difference between work and art. If you want to do this and if you want to keep in love with the arts, don't get in this for the bag. Don't get in this for the fame and the success, because you could just go do reality TV. Be a creative like explore that you have the power you have. As run said, we all have stories. There's eight billion of us, so many of us connect. That's why music is great. A musician or writer people like, oh my god, it thought he was talking to me because we all connected. So follow the art. Be true to that, and I promise you it will be so much more fruitful. I'm having so much more fun with this because when I joined this. I said this to Christine. I don't care how much you're pain. I just want to be part of the project because it's just great. Fall in love with that, find that you'll be free and you want to look at as a business. That's that's what I think.
Speaker 5: He bars. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I kind of to build on what you just said, Guttie. I feel like nurture the voice in your head that asks why not you?
Speaker 6: And what if it goes well? What if I have so much fun? What if I make new friends? What if I grow? What if I learned something like nurture the what if of the good the positive side instead of what if I'm to this or to that? Like, try and strengthen that voice a bit more in your head and you'll find yourself.
Speaker 2: You'll find your mind.
Speaker 6: Taking you to more beautiful places because you put yourself out there. You went to that random acting class or that works, and you made a friend. And I feel like a beautiful part of acting is sometimes you get.
Speaker 2: A gig not for the not for the job itself.
Speaker 6: Sometimes you meet a best friend in a gig and you never know why you're being led to a part. So if you have a strong feeling that you want to get more creative and do acting or writing or whatever it is. Put yourself out there because it might be the universe like guiding you to to a circle that's going to nourish your mind and make you grow as a person. And if I had a little practical one, I would say read the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. That one helps you release any rules or boxes in your head that you have around your creativity, and just it asks you to take yourself out on an artist date every week, where you go to a book store, you go to a class, and it's I think that might be a nice gentle way of like dipping your toe into creativity.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you so much, beautiful jeez.
Speaker 4: Okay, now I need to find something to say, Yeah you guys, did I think I'll just add it's never too late to start. Ava Duvinet started when she was thirty three, you know so, and especially these days, there's so many resources where you can learn, particularly for creative art stuff. You can learn so much YouTube University. Proud graduate of YouTube University. Yeah, I think, yeah, it's just it's never too late. And also I would also just say make calculated risks. You know, I'm all about taking risks, but also calculate your risks. And had a friend tell me that they quit their job after listening to the podcast. I was like, hey, hold up, quit your job. I don't have I don't know if they had decided to quit anyway, peopore and this was just like, you know how people look for signs of confirmation. Yeah, so you know a lot of times we try to. I think there are ways of pursuing your passion but also being sensible. You know, it doesn't have to be all or nothing.
Speaker 5: So yeah, wonderful, Thank you so so much. This has been food for the soul, and you know, just reinforced why why we do this, why we have this podcast, and why we share these stories because a as Amanda said, to give your flowers, which are so well deserved, and be because these stories are inspiring. We hope to inspire any of our listeners. And you know, thank you so so much for taking the time to be with us, for sharing so much of yourselves, for creating this world where we feel we live in. I feel like I know v I'm going to go see her this next week for brunch, Like you know, like you just feel like that connection and for doing something so amazing. And before we round up, we just like to give you an opportunity to share where people can find you if you want to be found on the socials and also of course for private affairs.
Speaker 7: But I want to give you guys a shout out. I will be doing a podcast which is similar to what you guys do. It's pretty much in the frame of guy who grew up in Zimbabwe, went to private school. But you know, it's connected very much to the social economic demographer from the wealthiest of the poorest and the challenges we see and the conversations from a male's perspective. I think we're not having it. I was listening to your I think it was the hierarchy one you guys are playing. You were talking about gender roles and there was something beautiful you said where you it was it's interesting as a woman because you got to be everything for everyone except yourself at the same time. And I was like, God, damn head shit right there. High So something very similar to what you guys are doing is quite inspiring. But at the moment, I'll just be taking a chill working with Christine and then we'll get back to it.
Speaker 5: Thanks for listening, by the way, that's really lovely.
Speaker 7: You do your research, Bruh.
Speaker 6: It's just my name so SINGI R don't watching a cut, but yeah, I don't post enough on there like but I will And if anyone has any acting questions, I can help as much as I can. But I feel like your journey is your journey. It's not going to be the same as anyone.
Speaker 4: And you can find Private Affairs on Instagram at private Affairs pod Facebook as well and Twitter at private Affairs p awesome.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much, Amanda. Any last words before we part.
Speaker 3: No, we've enjoyed this as fans. We obviously really wanted to get some behind the scenes tea and it just feels nice to hear you guys speak on the project and we can't wait for more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, ask.
Speaker 7: One quick question.
Speaker 10: One quick question. I'm new to podcasts. I watched mainly film, a lot of movies. TV show are dabbling, but I love movies, but through podcasts obviously Private Affairs, and I've been listening in some other things. But what I like about some TV shows, the ones that come out once a week, I really love them.
Speaker 1: Because of the episodes go for twenty minutes forty minutes, and you have that entire week to think about it. How do you How do you listen to podcasts? Do you go?
Speaker 7: Do you binge it?
Speaker 1: Or do you go one episode a day or one episode a week? How do you?
Speaker 3: It depends on the type of podcasts.
Speaker 5: Oh so, like something like Private Affairs, which is a story right, Like it's literally like a TV show, So I'm like, what's happening that bit? Okay?
Speaker 3: When the downloads, I'm like, yeah.
Speaker 5: And my thought automatic download, so you know. Also there's some and then other podcasts that and I think our podcast and managed to courage me if I'm wrong is really something you need to chew on a little bit. So I find when I make time or when I have time, So it's if I'm cooking, like I don't think I could listen to Private Affairs and be chopping because of like, see, okay, you know it's so I like to listen when I'm doing things, you know that don't require my brain. And then it's literally as as I have the time for it and it can chew on it. And also what I'm feeling, like, do I want something like for entertainment really or do I want something to like learn something or just depends that's me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Because it's a current affairs podcast, you have to probably listen to it as soon as it drops because they're probably going to be talking about But it was like one like hours where you know you're just talking about topics where you can pick which topic even want to listen to, what kind of mood you're in then that Yeah, so it does depend on a movie.
Speaker 5: Thank you again everybody for listening to this really really special bonus episode Layered Affairs. As always, let us know your thoughts where on Instagram it's Layered, We're on Twitter, it's lad pod. You can email us. It's lad pod at gmail dot com. Once again, thank you to the cost creators of Private Affairs podcast. Be sure to listen if you haven't already, you don't know what you're missing. We'll leave it all the information in the show notes, as well as how you can support them and we'll see you. When we see you guys.
Speaker 2: By bit, we'll use your hands.
Speaker 3: They will tear you up.
Speaker 5: Lack a paper two Oh no no, yeah,