Speaker 1: On Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: Flex and Firms.
Speaker 3: This is the Flex and Frooms catch Up podcast. Welcome back to the Flex and Frooms Podcast. It's a pleasure to have you here. Honestly, am I in a good mood. I'm pretty hungry, to be fair.
Speaker 1: But always hungry. Somebody said to me the other day, No they didn't. I like I watched the TikTok. No, we won't get into that now. Of this guy who was saying that the modern equivalent of the weather chat is to talk about whether or not you've seen popular TV show, And I thought, damn it really is that redundant, because even if someone's seen it, I find that people aren't good at expressing what they like about things that they consume. And so member I said the other day, I'm not giving out recommendations because I care to. Okay, I feel like I'm in two separate categories. I can watch things I don't like and enjoy them. Yeah, And if I enjoy something a lot, I don't want to talk to a stranger about it. Who's gonna shit on my feelings? Yeah, Everyone's like when people watch Twilight in twenty twenty three and say, oh my yeah. But it's I'm like babes, it was important, little sixteen.
Speaker 3: Can you let it live? Let it rest? I respectful, you respectful to be honest. I let's go. This is Flex and Frooms a few weeks ago. Now I've been getting into tapping into my spiritual practice. I say this with a grain of salt. As you know, I probably grew up in not the most religious household, In fact, probably the opposite, very how do you say, not secular or like I watched Simpsons. That was my daily routine. That was a semblance of as you know, like a lot of my beliefs come from something like the Simpsons, for example. So anyway, I spoke the other day about intuition, like what is intuition? And it turns out I produced Brookie has found a listener's take. It's a voice note. Her name is Milli wind Shuttle, so wind Shuttle. It just it looked like something else on the paper. Hit the tape, Brookie, Hey, Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to respond to the tea talk about intuition because I think what I gleaned from that was that they were saying it makes you uncomfortable, not necessarily that it's bad or at least that's just the bit that I took away from it. And so what I kind of like thought about was, you know when it can be good, Like it could be good. You know, when you feel like you want to like make a new friend, or you see someone and you want to be friends with them, but you're like nervous, or you know, if you're going through a breakup and if you're with a partner and you just know that you need to leave and it's the right thing, you just know it and it's intuitive, but you're also like terrified to actually make that leap. Like it's like a knowing maybe that you should do something or you could do something, but there's a lot of fear around that. Yes, so it's kind of like fantasy mixed with just uncomfortability or like, I don't know, really small things that could affect your day to day. I think sometimes I get kind of messages or intuition that I should like say hello to this stranger on the street, and it's just like because of them, it feels like it could be important for both of us, or yeah, reaching out to someone. I don't know, this all sounds very interpersonal, but I'm interested if that could be a jumping off point to continue that conversation. I don't know. I'm really into a le woo woo. So yeah, anyway, love the show, Gonna keep listening now goodbye.
Speaker 3: She really said, I'm not done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I said, I remember this chat. It's coming back to me in a vision. And so from what I recall, you shared this TikTok with us, and I was thinking it was odd because it was so far on the deep end of woo woo that feels quite antithetical for how you see the world. And even I was like, I don't think I like this, and I feel like it was because it was positioning intuition as something that only comes up in fearful situations, as opposed to intuition being neutral, a tool that you can use to discern what's happening around you, that you're not relying just on facts or logic to decide that it's worth listening to. So my intuition, like Milly said, might encourage me to talk to my uber driver today when I usual wouldn't feel like having conversation and it was actually great and we are from the same country and whatever it might be that feels like intuition or my intuition tells me today's gonna be a Gooday. I've got no reason why so, but that video made it seem like your intuition is that is that scary feeling that goes bump in the night and you should you pay attention to it. It's like, yeah, that and more. Yeah, I like that, Millie, Thank you for sending a voice note. I love hearing a voice note.
Speaker 3: It thoughtful, meaty, long voice note in a gorgeous dulcet tone. Doesn't get better than that. Thank you, Milly.
Speaker 1: What okatas flex and froms Flex And we.
Speaker 3: Are here with Shivers Regel, sitting in a very regal setting, looking wristplendent. I'm currently wearing sparkly gloves, looking gorgeous in the light. Pretty princess, yes, and you're in a pretty princess like what's that chicken, Mario cart princess peach, Peach, peach, You got a peach kind of either about you. And this week we're talking about success, what it looks like for us and what it looks like in the technology landscape, because we are future forward babes, and I want to talk about technology and community. You and I have both built communities. I would say I want to use that word, and technology has obviously made that possible. Thank you Mark Zuckerbed for puffing with Instagram.
Speaker 1: You work for met Advocate one on one and Mark has made that possible. Thank you. Is he in the room with us now?
Speaker 3: Never Spiegel? I did get my come up on Snapchat, So thank you very much. As you know, I like to connect with my community quite often. We did a job the other day where we invited listeners to our show and I actually befriended a woman and we went surfing that weekend and we've been meaning to go right now in a group chat together. And that's why I think if you build a community around things that you really like and you are your person or your best self, you may attract people that follow you that you can start a relationship with. Does it work for dating? Per se? In my hoard we get back.
Speaker 1: To dating, Get your head up the gutary of police when it comes to friendships, and there's no like ulterior motives, and it can work quite well because you can find people with like minded interests. So interesting, because when I think about the community I've built, I didn't recognize it as a community.
Speaker 3: For half the time, I.
Speaker 1: Thought it was a bunch of people who had overstepped and overfamiliarized what we were doing. Because back in the days the internet didn't feel like a community. It was very I speak, you listen, and very rarely we break that barrier to engage as equals and realistically, even if you were to pose a question or ask for conversation, people would be like, no, I'm not an influencer. I'm not going to speak with you. And so when that transition started happening, I thought it was strange because it wasn't as though people went from you are the person, I'm the you are the creator, I'm the consumer. You speak, I listen. It went from that and overnight to we must be friends. I'm going to be over familiar. I'm going to ask too many questions, ask really personal questions, and justify that by how long I've been subscribed to you or how long I follow you for. And so it's taken me a little while to figure out how that how community actually works for me because I think in my instance, I like it existing just virtually and online because I can create these boundaries and I don't have to confuse them. This exists in this space, and if for some reason we engage offline, we use the same online expectations to dictate this relationship. I'm not going to be the one who goes surfing with someone I met on the internet who's following me because of this illusion they've mee me. But I will become friends with someone that I've met, but it would build like a like a regular friendship.
Speaker 3: Like a normal person. No, I didn't say that I regular. I just needed to go surfing, and I thought.
Speaker 1: Oh, no, you don't need to justify I think it's cool, But I, for one, I think that sometimes it takes a big reminder from myself to myself to be like, you don't know these people, but they know a lot about you.
Speaker 3: It's a bit too scary. I think you can't think about it for too long, otherwise you wig yourself out.
Speaker 1: That's what you want to.
Speaker 3: Be put on blood.
Speaker 1: I think we should stop talking about it.
Speaker 3: Because I feel uncomfortable. But no, I think, like I did see now that I Emma Chamberlain on her website. I saw a TikTok about how she was charging ten thousand dollars for a DM slide, which I think it.
Speaker 2: Was a joke.
Speaker 3: Do you think that really it was a joke because she seems very in touch. I know we're going to think, well, she's not, but I actually think she would understand how the internet works very well. She's an expert, and I think she knows as we say about like outrage marketing. Now I want to go on her website and look at it, and now I'm gonna look at the merch and think, oh, she kind of pops up with their merch there. Maybe I'll buy some she got you? Yeah, you just got chamberlaind.
Speaker 1: You just got Chamberlain. Either way, I think parasocial relationships are not to be feared. They serve a purpose, and I think it's a slippery slope to take something that exists in this ecosystem with a very distinct reasoning and bring it into the real world without recognizing the implications.
Speaker 3: Know the implications.
Speaker 1: Stay a fan. You think when I tour for Dose, you can't try to be a friend. No.
Speaker 3: Did you talk to her?
Speaker 1: Of course, But I said, let me remain in the fantasy so I can still engage with your stuff online continuously, not ruin the illusion to be like well, when I met head like a, keep it out of your exactly and your mouth flex and rooms On Kater by popular demand, we have another am I the asshole. This one's about friends who force you into committing to do things months in advance. I have my feelings about this, but it's not about me right now, let's get into it. This person says, my friend tries to corner me and make me commit to things months in advance, such as dog sitting. My friend is Type A and is obsessed with planning out her future months in advance. Additionally, she has children, which she consistently tells me is the reason why she can't just leave plans the last minute, which is fair enough. She recently reached out saying that she'd like me to dog sit for two weeks in September, and I told her I don't know what I have going on at that time and don't want to commit to that as yet, but in the meantime she should seek alternatives for dog sitting. She said, m it seems like you don't have much going on, so it sounds like you actually have the capacity to take this on. I haven't saddled myself with pets or children, and I feel like the freedom to be spontaneous is my right saddle to myself, and I'd like to take advantage of that before I one day have these responsibilities, which is fair. The last time she asked me to do this months in advance, I missed out on a content as well as a cottage trip, and I don't want to miss out again. When you told me I was unreasonable, and she's willing to change her vacation days to suit when I can dog sit. She clearly doesn't understand the concept of I don't know what I have going on, but that doesn't mean something won't pop up. If you have pets, then isn't it reasonable that you factor in things like making arrangements at a dog kennel as part of having them. I don't know. Am I the asshole here? Look of all the am I the assholes that we've done? I feel like this is the juiciest because it's in the realm of actual possibility. When somebody said not, when somebody when Rooms said that she feels like some people do creative writing and make them up for Internet club. Actually it made me see all of them differently. But this one is definitely real. You couldn't make this up. It's like the most rock in a hard place scenario that because I get it, she trapped you, but you're trapped. You're essentially trapped. The first that comes to mind is how close a friends are you? Because there are some friends that I consider in a circle in a sanctum where if you ask, I do wow anything because my inner sanctum friends won't ask me for things if it's not if they don't really need them. They know better than that, right, So it's like, can I ask you a favor? Can you please feed my cat? Babes? Yeah, I'm going to feed the cat all good, But my friends, like I, my golden rulers, don't ask me to do something that you wouldn't do with ease, and that rules a lot of things out, Like for me, I don't ask my friends for help with moving because I don't want you to ask me. Please let me out of it. I don't want to do it. It's grunt work in this situation though, it's the cornering that's getting me. And like, if your friends, like I get it, it's really annoying, but please like that. But it doesn't seem like it's happening at all. They're kind of like, why don't you just do it?
Speaker 3: What do you think I've been in a like my Fami and I go on to Bali soon as per, and we've got two dogs, Tory and Pepper. Tory is a little Boston Yorkshire Terrier, the tiny little terrier, and Pepper is a poodle. Have been known to call her a teacup, but that is obviously against the law to have a teacup poodle, so it's a toy poodle for all those interesting whoa. And they're very cute and very they're like ten years old now. But the biggest difficulty is trying to find someone to look after them because my relatives have dogs that have beef with my dogs. So we're kind of in a rock and a hard place. Can't bring the doggies to Bali. Unlike Amber Herd and Johnny Depp bringing their little Yorkshires to Australia. We don't have Barnaby Joyce waving us through to later incriminate us. Not yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wouldn't rule it out.
Speaker 3: So it's a hard it's a hard thing. And I think if she's going to enumerate you then look into it.
Speaker 1: That's not coming up. This is not like I'm going to pay you for this thing.
Speaker 3: And this person sounds like them to say I didn't settle myself with children and pets. Like clearly they're not a pet person and they should be able to enjoy their civil liberties as someone not looking after a job. Like dogs are crazy. It means you can't get really like you can't go out really late because you've got to be home with them, Like you can't have sleepovers.
Speaker 1: It's you know, as the age old saying goes, you never give someone a responsibility. If it's a responsibility, it's a job. If it's a job, pay them flex and frooms.
Speaker 3: That'd a best what a duo today, FLEXI. I'm asking the big question, which is are Blazers the new peplum top?
Speaker 1: Is this an original thought?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Have I ever had one? That is the question that we should be asking this in the cranium? Is R are Blazers the new peplum top? Read this? It's from TikTok. Obviously I am the biggest hater, and today I'll be hating on the Blazer girlies, not the corporate blazer girlies. I understand them. It's off as a tire. It fits the vibe. But dear Lord, after wearing your blazer to work Monday to Friday, way on earth are you wearing it to brunch on Saturday with your ripped mum jeans and heels. It's really coming for the jugular or God forbid with a corset, a pair of cargoes and trainers. Why have we let business casual become such a trend the new casual? If I see one more brightly colored Zara blazer throwing a fit?
Speaker 1: Why have we let business casually become a trend? What do you think?
Speaker 2: For me?
Speaker 3: It's definitely a hangover of the girl bussification of women quite a serious issue.
Speaker 1: Some would say you got it out for the girl boss, like I was not coming from inside the house. Every issue the girl bust, the girl bus, the babe. You're trying to throw people off your set. They already know who you are. Sis see, you get it. You're like other girl buses. You're different. You go by CEO respectfully.
Speaker 3: I mean, I have been looking at the blazers in my cupboard, like today, I wanted to wear something over my singlets. I just even before reading this, have stopped wearing all my blazers. I mean it, I was looking at them.
Speaker 1: The roller tape.
Speaker 3: Here shoes again like I've got one jacket, like lightweight jacket that I'd wear. But I just feel kind of like in this style.
Speaker 1: Is because I've been in summer.
Speaker 3: No, I've been going out, think I need to elevate the outfit, Like am I gonna bring out the sparkly gloves? Maybe not? But am I ready to wear a blazer with the beautiful like structurally sound No, but I don't know what the alternative it is. It's also like crocs. I'm over them, but what's next? Because I'm not gonna deny my afft crocs I've worn and I'm not exaggerating crocs. For the last six months, not a single time have I been wearing runners. The only other enclosed shoe that I wear are high heel boots that I have to get someone to rip off my feet because then you pos off my calves. I've experienced, and you actually have and rollerblades, so you heard it here first. If you have any alternatives to blazers or crocs, please tell me, because I'm desperate, don't maybe go on Pinterest. You've been listening to The flexen Froom's daily podcast.
Speaker 2: For more, Tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.