Speaker 1: Welcome to them, Christian no Common Show podcast. This time yesterday on the show, I was playing you this terrible noise that my washing machine was making. It was broken. Guy comes around yesterday afternoon. He fixes about the hour they're taking it apart. I made the situation a lot worse. One of our listeners yesterday gave me advice, saying, it might just be this. I tried to fix it myself, right, don't put this in a podcast. My wife can't hear this because it costs notes one hundred and fifty dollars. What would have been an easier fix. I've made a lot complicated because I tried to remedy it myself. My guy over here someone said, oh, it might be this inlet thing. Just give that a tap. I gave it. When I got back, I thought, tap, you need to have great A tap isn't going to mend this, So I gave it a real like punch. Something disappeared and shut up into the guts of the washing machine. That took the man that came out of yesterday, Richard, How did this get in? The bloody kids? Were they five teenagers? Actually?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Anyway, this guy yesterday came out and he repaired it. Afterwards. We're in my little narrow utility room that you get in a lot of houses, right, it's quite a narrow little space. We're having a little bit of chat. He's about an extra eight or nine years older than me. He's got four kids, three daughters. We start talking about daughters. His daughters are a couple of years ahead of mine. We were talking about what happens when they leave them. We suddenly for half an hour, just like you do sometimes in life, you find yourself stumbling into an actual, deeper, very real, intimate conversation.
Speaker 3: But you had it all in the laundry.
Speaker 1: Yep, all in the utility too. I might put microphones in there and start doing a podcast in there. It got real very quickly between us, so much so right, we're getting on so well. Then we're talking about guys. Do we start to like the Ashes? He's talking about growing up when during the eighties when he used to watch the actually Ashes and players like Ingle, players like Ian, both of them. I didn't play without a head guard. So you know what we're going on really well? And then I say, what do you live? Where's home for you? He's not that far from me. We've swapped numbers. We're meeting up for a beer next one. A friendship has come out of patronize, don't it's nice. I'm looking forward to seeing Richard. I feel like I made a new friend yesterday. So sometimes it works. Normally, is a lot of your friends, okay, are the ones you've had since child? All right? And then what happens when you become a parent is some of your friends then are you know, maybe for a parenting group or kids at the school. So that the only other way then is that there are no unusual ways that sometimes you strike up a friendship. So for me it's it's my washing machine engineer. We're going out for beers next week and I think we'll probably become mates. I really like this guy.
Speaker 3: Well, I've been out for a few beers with by physio.
Speaker 1: Was this after a physio session? Normally drinks lead toy and lying down Jackie boy does it separately?
Speaker 3: I was. I saw him maybe three or four times. His name is Joss. They've gone along really well with him, and then one time I was the last client that he had for the day.
Speaker 1: After this little ruby, don't we put some clothes on.
Speaker 3: We went around the corner for a beer.
Speaker 1: That's so nice. I wonder how he is.
Speaker 3: That was a few years ago. Now I miss him.
Speaker 1: Reach out to him.
Speaker 3: You've just reminded me about that.
Speaker 1: He's now probably wondering. Was he not good enough with the conversational band?
Speaker 3: He was great, and he was a great physio. He used to over the beer. He told me this. He listens to physio podcasts for fun.
Speaker 1: I wish i'd been not that beer. It must have been a really amazing chat. I can get the feeling that he did never called you again, or change his mobile or move to Bolivia. Okay, do you know what? Though? Next week, let's ask find out about what podcasts we will listen to. How much can you get into on a physio podcast? How much rolfing chat or deep tissue chat can there be on a podcast?
Speaker 3: But isn't that the kind of guy you want being your physio? He didn't just learn it at school.
Speaker 1: It's constantly up taking. There's another episode here, it doesn't matter. It happens most breaks. So it's nice for you for them. You have one today, perhaps you can have one in the eight hour. All right, So how did you you too meet? How do you to meet. How did you meet your friend? This is the Christian O'Connell show podcast, What a Price? Have your own billboard this weekend? When a billboard is back to the next half an hour. Whatever message you want on a billboard, We'll go live this weekend right now, asking you how did you meet your mate? Most of you've got friends from childhood or maybe if your parent, they're your friends with the other the parents of your kids. Sometimes you meet your friend in a different way. Christian, I'm a pet. One of my clients and I used to talk so much during sessions. I suggested that we go for a wine. She's now my best friend. These are amazing sort of stories like that. Karenin's on the line. You want in Caroline?
Speaker 2: Hi, Yes, everybody, Yeah, we're.
Speaker 1: Good, Welcome to the show. So how did you meet your mate?
Speaker 4: Well, it wasn't myself meeting my mate but ended up being friends of the family. It was actually my father meeting his best mate and they almost killed each other.
Speaker 1: What do you mean.
Speaker 4: Well, Well, before I was born and I'm nearly forty eight now, and just before mum and dad got married, my father was crossing a bridge in Queensland, and oncoming was a semi trailer that ends up jackknifing and turning over, nearly hitting my father, who swerved, and in swerving he ended up head on in a very serious accident with his best mate who had to pull him out as the wreckage. They didn't know each other before then, but have been lifelong friends ever since.
Speaker 1: Oh, my beautiful story. Goosebumps. What an amazing story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so his best netmate's name is Ernie and the way, Yeah, his old old Australian cowboy travels across the lands and growing up as kids, his wife we didn't and didn't know her by her name. We just used to refer to them as Ernie and Bert. Used to run into the house and say.
Speaker 5: Ernie and Er.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, they've been lifelong friends and buddies ever since.
Speaker 1: So Ernie just does a good deed. He's obviously coming to rescue of an accident that's happened right in front of him. Paul's your dad out of obviously some kind of wreckage. And they they then were not that moment, but eventually they become friends. Just give me CPR and then I'll get my phone out.
Speaker 4: Well, he was, he was pretty badly injured as well, because, like I said, they head on each other.
Speaker 1: So I missed that bit. I was so anaya about they become friends. It was a head on collision between the two of them, Ernie and the old man. Yeah, this is even more remarkable. Yeah, Ernie did almost killy your dad. That I understand.
Speaker 4: Yes, they practically almost killed each other. The boat cars were right off and but yeah, Journie pulled Dad out of the wreckage.
Speaker 1: Isn't it amazing? What a great way once you bond in a moment like that. Years LATERY go, hey, remember that time? How many years ago is now where I was killed?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 1: That is a great story. Thank you so much for sharing that with us.
Speaker 4: No worry. If you guys have a wonderful day.
Speaker 1: I have a nice you can't count in. Loretta. Good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 6: How are you today?
Speaker 1: I'm good, Loretta. So what's your story? How did you meet your mate?
Speaker 6: Okay, So I catched a train to work every morning, like a lot of people, and about ten twelve years ago I started to just chat to some ladies on the train. You get to see the same people every day, and now we're friends. So they're my eight trained friends that I have, and we go out for dinner quite often, and we celebrate Christmas and Easter and births and deaths and marriages and everything. So you knowend eight Yeah, eight of us.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you now right, Women meet friends so easily. I could be on that train seeing those same if it was men for thirty or forty years. I don't ever say anything to any of them. We're dying as strangers.
Speaker 6: We chatted all the time all that we were the lunds of the carriage every morning and every evening on the way home as well, we all meet up as well. Yeah, so all eight.
Speaker 1: So did you start a conversation with one of them and then somebody else joined in and overtime you all start to form a little Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, they would get on the train a few stops before me and then they we just started chatting, so they would just start saving me a seat. So that's how we sort of got chatting. Yeah, so it's really good, good to hand friends like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's amazing. Lovely story, Loretta, have a nice week, gamel Brighter. You're listening to the christ you know Carl's show podcast, Rob.
Speaker 2: Good morning everyone, Hell are you.
Speaker 1: Good right, Welcome to show, Rob. So how did you meet your friend?
Speaker 2: About twenty years I was going to Perth and we come across a truck accident and ended up pulling my mate Russell out of his burning truck. He was pinned over the steering wheel and pulled him out and had to sit there waiting for the for the Saint John's ambulance in him for four odd hours. And a couple of weeks later, on our way back from Perth, went in and saw him sitting up in a hospital bed. I thought he was I thought he was breeding his last breaths on the side of the road pretty much. And yeah, so about twelve months later he and his partner got married, so I drove her to their wedding and they have been friends ever since.
Speaker 5: Wow, an incredible story, it was, but it was it was a it was an interesting, interesting morning when it happened.
Speaker 2: And yeah, sometimes had nightmares still over it. But it's something that's brought to people together that or a group of us I suppose together out of adversity and they have been friends episodes.
Speaker 1: It's incredible. I'm sorry about the nightmare. Do you have holt with that? Rob?
Speaker 2: I've spoken to a few people a little bit about it. It just yeah, occasionally you sort of have something that triggered it, and but it's like crawling into a burning truck in the middle of it, in the middle of anotherbor is not something you want to do every day.
Speaker 1: So yeah, d you say to guy's life, you gave him his life and doing that, it's incredible act of self discourage.
Speaker 2: Like it's one of those things like you see on some of the shows on TV, like where they're in the in the city where you've got all the ambulance and paramedics and all that sort of thing there with the fieries, and that I did the same sort of thing where I was hours from any sort of help.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, I think you said you don't have to wait for like six six hours or something happened to.
Speaker 2: The accident happened about eight o'clock in the morning, and the St. John's ambulance turned up about midday, and yeah, there was a there was a story behind that as well. The ambulance broke down on its way back to the to Sguina Hospital and that sort of thing. I found out later on, And there's there's quite a few things. It was a bit of a comedy of errors with the ambulance side of things, and.
Speaker 1: You get the right to call it a comedy of errors.
Speaker 2: I don't think.
Speaker 1: I'm not on the back of a stretcher. This is the thing.
Speaker 3: This is the next one feral movie.
Speaker 2: They sent two ambulances out and both of them broke down. Getting from Siguina to Nullibor where the accident happened, and back to it. He actually ended up being transferred from one ambulance back into the other one, and then back into the other one again as each of them broke down.
Speaker 1: A barely believable story.
Speaker 2: Put it this way. When I heard that, I just thought I had got to be kidding, like I would have like when it actually happened. I was expecting the Flying Doctor Service to turn up because we're un a nullable highway.
Speaker 1: But well, they may have tried to fly that. And who knows what that broke down. I mean, I don't know. We can't rule it out.
Speaker 2: They ran out of fuel and got stuck up there.
Speaker 1: Rob. I still think it's an amazing thing you did. We never know. We always like to think you do some of that, but we can never know until you really tested at a moment like that, but it's an incredible thing you did. You're right as well, but thank you for sharing your story with us this morning.
Speaker 2: Rob, Yeah, that's that's fine. Thank you, thank you for listening, and thank you all the listening listeners for listening.
Speaker 1: All right, take care, have a lovely weekend. The Christian O'Connell Show Podcast