Speaker 1: Here at two Good Sports.
Speaker 2: We would like to acknowledge the traditional owners of the land on which we record this podcast. There were innerie people. This land was never seated, always was always will be. Hello, Hi, how are you welcome to do good sports? Sports news sold differently? I'm Georgie.
Speaker 3: He's still not used to you being here and me not having to do the intro. It's a beautiful world.
Speaker 2: Look, no hair, I know, I know, but look, it's actually been quite a full on week for me, joby because there's been a lot of sports news. I'm not match fit and I've been trying to like put everything into this brain which is struggling able to catch up. Yeah, and I'm like, whoa, there's so much. I've enjoyed it thoroughly, but there's a lot of things happening.
Speaker 3: What was the headline for you? What was your biggest thing that you watched during the week.
Speaker 2: Biggest thing was watching the Brisbane Broncos absolutely implode once again.
Speaker 1: But other than that, still gift, still gift had.
Speaker 3: To be had to everyone's favorite race that we become experts in handicaps sprinting.
Speaker 2: Guilty see I am now I think the all knowing factor when it comes to the store gift and I have a lot of thoughts.
Speaker 3: We do have a lot of thoughts, and namely the fact that the headlines in Goutgut and Lackie Kennedy didn't even make the men's final, but Brerizzo, what a performance it was from her. So the best example of when handicapping goes right, the best example of when handicapping goes wrong. And somewhere in the middle we land in Australia's richest foot trace.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right, and there's so much, there's so much to discuss.
Speaker 1: It is a spectacle.
Speaker 3: But before we do that, you know what's time for Georgie good sport?
Speaker 1: Good sport.
Speaker 2: The Australian Swimming Championships are happy happening currently. And I mean I may have mentioned on this podcast one or two times that I consider myself to be an honorary Dolphin.
Speaker 3: On did you befriend Bronchie Campbell?
Speaker 1: I did that.
Speaker 2: I was like as soon as I saw I was like, we are the same, like nos, like here we go.
Speaker 1: Game recognizes game. She's gonna be like, have I seen you at a junior carnival somewhere? You look like you could swim instead. She said, Hi, my name's Bronzie. I think that's where we were.
Speaker 2: You know, that was the conversation that I had when that eventually goes to where do I have footage of Robert Mills attempting to race Bronti Campbell?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I do, I do.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 2: That's just a little spoiler. Bronti was taking on everyone in the amazing race. And look, but there was a water leg sometime. There was water somewhere. I can't tell you where, but there was water somewhere that we could compete against an Olympic.
Speaker 3: Why didn't you nominate?
Speaker 1: Well, because I didn't need to know that.
Speaker 2: You know, game recognizes game jelly, So obviously I don't need to compete against Bronti.
Speaker 1: I know, because you know, I know I doesn't know.
Speaker 3: Robert, you get in this television.
Speaker 1: That's crazy, Robert so Yes.
Speaker 2: Continuing on that theme with the Championships happening right now, just two special shout outs. One to a friend of the pot, Alexa O'Leary. We love her so much. She's smashed record and she's just the delight for those of you who may not remember, she's the incredible para swimmer who did incredible things at the Paralympics.
Speaker 1: I think she won how many goals did she win?
Speaker 3: A lot?
Speaker 2: And she's the leading swimmer in her field and she was that one had that wonderful moment in the qualification rounds where she goes, I'm just so proud of myself.
Speaker 3: And this is someone who was a star triathlete and then had a terrible accident on a bike and left her with some physical impairments as well as mental impairments. But you would not know. And her dad crying in the crowd about the fact that they's been told to say goodbye to her and then he's watching her qualify for a Paralympics.
Speaker 2: It's it's just the best. So it's great love her. She's still informed. She unlike me, has managed to maintain her fitness over the course of many, many years, so she is doing alexa things. Also, big shout out because Cam McAvoy, the professor, one of my faves, fresh off his gold medal in the Olympics in the fifty meter freestyle, he's absolutely smashed the fifteen meter freestyle earlier on in this meet, and he has clocked a time of twenty one point four to eight, which is just zero point zero five off the fastest time in the world this year. He's only recently got back into the pool. And for those who may not remember, he does that kind of he's one that trains back. Yes, that's stripped back to win more and it sounds great and it's working.
Speaker 1: It just keeps on working for him and.
Speaker 3: Kaylee McEwan as well. The fastest time that we've seen this year.
Speaker 2: Yes, standard, our Dolphins just continue to do incredible things.
Speaker 1: Those obviously good sports, good sports.
Speaker 3: It feels very Olympic today. Not to quote cool runnings, but my good sport bad sport. I'm gonna leave it to you, George, to decide if this is a good sport or a bad sort.
Speaker 1: I love passing judgment.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, what are you for? You got to your school carnival to watch your kid and they are so pair of participation, and part of you is like, look, it was already hard enough to get here and make sure the kids had their shoes. But sure, I'll run in one hundred meter. You line up, you'll look to your left, you look to your right, and on your right. His three time Olympic champion, ten time old champion Shelley Anne Fraser Brice, and you just think this isn't where I parked my car because the Jamaican superstar and it's almost like I need to put some more supers ahead of that. We all recognize her as the pint sized, wig wearing Jamaican phenomenon in sprinting. Lined up for a son's parent one hundred meter run and you have to see this footage because it's not so much a race as a drone trying to keep her in the shot with the other parents. It was just the most phenomenal, brutal, no mercy. She hits the full pace and I love this quote where she goes, well, they haven't banned me yet, so I'm still gonna line up is where a sun zion And again the fact that she went away, had a kid and then has still returned to be at Olympic level. When we saw her in Paris and then she had that weird incidence where she missed.
Speaker 2: The bus so odd, it was very it was very, very very confusing. Good to see though she's taking it out on just regular parents.
Speaker 3: He's a good sport or a bad sports She's very good at sport.
Speaker 2: But come on, Shelly, Oh oh, I'm thinking, look for me good sport. If I was one of the parents, I'm like, come on, just you need to have like talk about handicap racing. Start in the next country, Start in the next country, and then begin the run and I will start at the same time.
Speaker 3: When you watch the footage, and I'm for you to google it. She could run on one leg, she could have she could have done the triple jump over the one hundred and still absolutely annihilated. I just I watched it and I was like, oh, to be that good at anything and be like here at a school carnival.
Speaker 1: I just want to know what her son like, Zion, what's he thinking? There? Is he thinking, go Mama is thinking?
Speaker 2: Oh mom, so embarrassing.
Speaker 3: The great thing is she'd done it previously and smoked them. That's the only reason why someone thought we better get a drone. We better get a drone to get that footage of the hang on.
Speaker 2: I mean, whether or not it was good sport bad sport, I want to know whether you would do that, like if you were Shelleyanne Fraser Price, There's no way that Gelmy is not being like I am putting all the burners on and smoking you all.
Speaker 3: Georgie in the duo that is, which of the two parents of my children is being nominated the ex athlete, Sorry Kate head on in, but I am going to be the psycho screaming from the line of because I like push everyone. I know him, that parent, I know him that parent, low Ribbons. Only this I like and why do we want no laugh?
Speaker 2: Look for someone who has been competing in a race most recently, and I've learned things about myself, which is number one that I'm what you may call unattractively competitive, and I.
Speaker 3: Think what you may or what Robert told you after.
Speaker 1: Yeah it could be they could have come up. Yeah, they could have come up.
Speaker 2: So I feel that both you and I we would just be like doing the old Lizzello's Queen Lee's, which is elbows at the ready, take your marks, elbows out go.
Speaker 3: I just don't have the skills to back up how competitive I am in most things.
Speaker 1: No same here.
Speaker 3: That's where I'm like, I'm desperate to win, but I don't want to train.
Speaker 2: Oh well, Shelly and Fraser Price, well done, well done, are doing it for us.
Speaker 3: We will post the footage. We'll find it on social because it is just it's phenomenal. It brought me so much joy, just about as much joy as Alexilary. So that were they was some two good sports.
Speaker 1: There, most amazing, most amazing.
Speaker 3: Anyway, should we continue talking about sprinting?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, we definitely should We definitely sure.
Speaker 3: Let's getting too our main chat now.
Speaker 2: Jell me on my men travels to various desinations that I cannot disclose. Remember I said there was one sporting story really that was able to kind of get my grab my attention and made it overseas, and that was Gout, Gout v Locky Kennedy.
Speaker 1: And I tell you what.
Speaker 2: When the store gift came up and they were going to be competing, I was like, Yes, this is amazing. The entirety of the country, not just Abby jellmy cares about track and field.
Speaker 1: This is gonna be amazing.
Speaker 3: Wow. And they were just coming off nationals where they weren't competing together because they're not in the same age division. So we've seen them do so well in Perth, we've seen them race against each other at the Mury Plant me. But this the Stall Gift on over one hundred and twenty, which is going to favor Gout. Yes, because he's over a longer distance. He seems to really wind up. Where's Locky Burst out of the blox? Who's going to win.
Speaker 1: The ultimate rivalry?
Speaker 2: We are going to have a deciding race and we will know once and.
Speaker 3: For all who is the fastest man and we get to watch it eating chocolate. Yes, it always happens over the Easter weekend, so this is the perfect And also it's Bruce mcaveany, it's Tamsa Manu, It's Jason Richardson, who we love, who's a formal winner doing the boundary. It's just Dave Colbert. This feels to me like an Australian Olympics.
Speaker 1: It is an Australian Olympics.
Speaker 2: And I was so excited to follow every single second of this day and this event unfold and listeners.
Speaker 3: If you're not someone who like us, was weirdly into this foot race, let me give you a bit of a context. The store Gift used to be called the Easter Gift and has been run every year except for five since eighteen seventy eight, so it has only been stopped by a couple of world Wars and a little thing got COVID. But it is one of the most prize sporting events in the country, and it's one of those things that if you are a sprinter, you really deeply care about who wins the stall, and once you're a winner, you're up in lights forever.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's something that I remember covering as a young journal when I just started, and I remember thinking, now, how much of like you know, are people aware of this? Is it just because I work in this field and I followed this race. I remember when it came to the finals and stall gift day every single time in the newsroom, and it would be everyone just crowds around your desk, yes, because they want to see what's going on and what's happening. It's the fifteen seconds, let's say, where everyone cares about running.
Speaker 3: It feels decidedly amateur because it is. It's amateur athletes taking on professionals. So you do have these athletes that you would have seen at the Olympics that are our national champions that sometimes and it's also an invitational they sometimes have athletes come from all around the world to compete, but it's on grass as opposed to a synthetic surface, which I've heard it described as if you're going to put like ten units of energy in Usually, if you're on a synthetic track, you might get eight out in terms of bounce. Oh, whereas if you're on this.
Speaker 1: You lost me with the science.
Speaker 3: I was like, what, well, I've heard Jason Richardson describe it this way, so it must be true. But then if if you put that much energy into grass, anyone who runs on grass will tell you don't bounce back up.
Speaker 1: I don't bounce on anything. But yes, yes, the grass.
Speaker 3: I find it a completely different technique where you sort of instead of putting pushing off, you need to sort of skim over the top.
Speaker 1: Oh geez, okay, because it's different.
Speaker 3: It's like running on sand ryes. Do you know that?
Speaker 2: Most recently, sorry to go off on a little tangent here, I figured out that I don't run properly. It will shock, you know, because I don't think I push off on anything. So you're talking about this, I think I just run up and down.
Speaker 3: Oh no, you've got to push off.
Speaker 1: I don't. That's really hard.
Speaker 2: Because then I was like, maybe I'll just run a little bit trying to do. You're the balls of your feet at least, yeah, I am, but just up and down like it's like I'm essentially a pogo stick, is what I've figured out. And I try, and then I was like, okay, actually, hang on, let's propel myself forward out of breath within three strides.
Speaker 1: I was like, well, but anyway, the stall gift is not about me.
Speaker 3: We digress, so we get to the stall gift that is being headlined by these two now too. But let's be honest. One seventeen year old superstar.
Speaker 2: And household names like Gout gou Everyone knows goutgaut now you know it's We've been talking about him for a.
Speaker 1: Little while on this podcast.
Speaker 2: Well done as but like Gout Gout has just infiltrated every single Australian home.
Speaker 3: And then, in one of the great travesties and tragedies, neither Gout nor Locky make the final I think.
Speaker 2: I when the news came through that neither of them had qualified for the final, I messaged you immediately.
Speaker 3: That vitriol and I was so mad.
Speaker 1: I was like, something has gone terribly wrong? What is going on here?
Speaker 2: Because as a spectacle as the centerpiece for the sport as a centerpiece for the event. You want your strongest runners in the final. And I understand handicap racing. I understand that it is.
Speaker 3: Handicap racing is so difficult to get your head around, and I've really tried, and there are still nuances in terms of bonuses that the amateur athletes can get in their times in qualifying for a race like the Stall Gift that blow my mind a little bit.
Speaker 2: But I understand that at its heart, you're essentially wanting to see the amateurs up against the big names. I get that, because you want it's almost like the Fa Cup, right, It's the Fa Cup of running. But you still need the best athletes there in order to create the best race. You need them to be able to make it to the final. But you're right, Jelmy, I have been going through exactly when this happened.
Speaker 1: I've been out.
Speaker 2: I would call myself a semi expert on handicapping. That's not noxymore, because you are right, there are a lot of intricacies that the general running fan maybe just comes into attention every time there's an Olympics or a stall Gift would miss. When it comes to this yes, and one of those being you're right. The amateur circuit for runners, they can compete in different events and if they do well, that means that they will have meters taken off the race. So if you start out with one hundred and twenty meters, that is what the stall gifts sprint length is. And if you take one hundred and twenty meters, yes, and say you're starting at a nine point seventy five meters, that means that you move your starting block forward nine point seventy five, so you're only running one hundred and ten point twenty five God mass, well done, Mas, that's now your distance. So someone starting from scratch's running.
Speaker 3: The full hundred and twenty, which is what we saw in the women's where Brie Rizzo came from the absolute clouds and one from scratch. So we saw the example in the women's of how handicapping can be done right because her run was fantastic. We know that she made a semifinal in the Olympics, so you had this Olympic level runner up against amateurs, so they had to basically put away you know what it can be likened to horse racing, yes, where they do put different weights on different horses to try to make it even in a handicap So that's basically what they're doing here, but in distance right.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've heard that the goal for handicappers when it comes to the men's race is that you're wanting everyone to finish the same time and you're looking for a time about twelve point two five seconds.
Speaker 1: Yes, benk over one hundred and twenty and.
Speaker 3: So since then we have had Locki Kennedy's coach come out and essentially say, look, I know that there's a lot of outcry about this, but at the end of the day, when you have a winner at John Evans, this is his Olympics. Yes, this is what he's been tapering for training for. This is his mecha. This what he's dreamt of winning. You've got Lockie and Gout who get paid very handsomely to be there, but they were looking at nationals, so they're not tapering their training, they're not specializing on these softer tracks in order to optimize their performance over that distance. So it goes both. But I'm with you in that it was on freeware TV. Yes, it was another show piece for Australian Athletics that was just for mine, you need to at least slightly ring it just so that they get into the final.
Speaker 2: Also, maybe just take into consideration the conditions. Like before Gout and Lockie Kennedy raced, it was essentially a swim, it was trential, and also the handicap is based on the runners too fast at times that season I believe averaged out and that's where you at least start in terms of how you handicap the full heat. Once again track versus you know, the grass, and then you've got the rain.
Speaker 3: And amateurs and pros and it's slightly.
Speaker 2: Uphill, yeah, slightly uphill, you're on a gradient, yeah yeah, and upward gradient, so they're sprinting uphill.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I'm if I'm Bree Rizzo and I'm looking at the back of someone who's ten meters ahead of me on a slight incline on a surface that I don't usually run on. I'm like, I don't need to be doing this, and I don't need to be doing this on television. I'll give you the hot tip. Yes, probably why I'm not nothing.
Speaker 2: I I know, I know, but I think that there is an argument, and I mean the head handicappers said himself that maybe will revisiting it where you just really do have to see if you're giving too much of a handicap away at the set, like for the back bass, like I mean it's it's they were gout was flying harh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't get me wrong. And Lockey Kennedy did well in his eer.
Speaker 3: Shots of his heat was just beautiful.
Speaker 1: It was incredible.
Speaker 2: But you still want to have your best races competing in the final. So obviously, and this is no disrespect to John Evans, he deserved that win, but something has gone wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah John Evans, who's a school teacher. Yeah yeah, who can now say that he beat Locky Kennedy and gowgut that he's going to see running in the Olympics. That's the beauty of this.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine going into your class and every one of them would just be like, oh my god, how was gout?
Speaker 3: Gout?
Speaker 1: And he's like, well ie won. But yeah, it's really cool.
Speaker 3: I don't even know that he teaches sport. Oh yeah, no, I don't think I don't think he does. She looks like a bizarre, bizarre alignment. But one of the favorite stories to come out of me is the fact that Brie Rizzo's now won and her husband was the winner, yes, Matt riezoz back in twenty seventeen, and the fact that they met after the after party of the twenty nineteen store gift, which is when she actually decided to focus on track running at all. And his pickup line, you only get one shot with the Riz that was That's a direct quote of what the pickup line was. Do you think because she said it was mentioned in their vowels?
Speaker 1: Oh no, yeah, that's how.
Speaker 3: That's how I know about this. I was listening to a race and I'm like, oh, Brie, tell me you put him in his place?
Speaker 2: Do we?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 2: Can we unequivocally say that the Rizzos themselves have actually coined the frame Riez, don't worry about jen Z, it's them.
Speaker 1: If you have the Riz, you've just got that Rizzo factor.
Speaker 3: Do you know what is perfect is she has Riz. When you watch that race, you could not Oh my god, but you couldn't watch anyone else. No, she was captivating and she got in this zone where I was like, I've never been in that zone. Tell me what that looks like or feels like, because she just there was a level of performance there. That was just it was so good to watch. It was so cool and for me, anytime that you have Bruce mcavani calling a race, it's a good times.
Speaker 2: It's special. And that's why I was well done, thank you. That's why I just wish that the in itself. When it came to the men the women's race, incredible, Bree was exceptional. I just think overall incredible for the sports like that, it would have been packed out. Everyone was watching, Like imagine every single fan who you know, withstood the torrential rain to get a glimpse of Gout.
Speaker 1: Gout. You know, it's just they will live with that forever.
Speaker 3: But give me the pair of it. Give me over one twenty.
Speaker 1: I wanted to see it.
Speaker 2: The same handicapped because what we saw.
Speaker 3: Was that Gout was coming at the Morrow Plant. Yeah, like they're two very different athletes and it's just like twenty I think it gets him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so too. I think so too.
Speaker 2: And I just look maybe next year, maybe next year, you know, unless Gout might be off tackling Noah Lyle, so we'll see our mate, our mate Noah also just af I would love to give a recommendation for our dear listeners, who if you are, if this has piqued your interest in the store gift search. Kathy Freeman nineteen ninety six. I think she obviously was in like the four hundred meter event. He starts from fifty four meters back from the.
Speaker 1: Rest of the field, so she's off. Yeah, she's fifty four z conic.
Speaker 2: That's what the handicap that they that everyone else has, and she, spoiler wins. So just do yourself a favor, go watch that. It is amazing. This is pre the four hundred meters in Sydney. It is amazing.
Speaker 3: And again it's when handicapping can be done well, yes, yes, because it adds to the spectacle of how good she is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also once again just look at her and see how.
Speaker 2: She's barely puffing at the end, and just ask yourself, wow, some of us are just.
Speaker 3: Bill different different, because ah am not. The four hundred for me, is the most brutal distance. I hated the four hundred.
Speaker 1: Oh you think I've attempted it?
Speaker 3: Come now, you never did a four hundred at school, not willingly.
Speaker 1: No, No, I did a two hundred, and I was like, that's enough.
Speaker 3: I was one of those unfortunate people that was the best at my school but so far the worst. Add into schools, so that Elliot, so you'd know, but then you'd get like, I'd be okay in my year, and then I'd get to the inter schools. It's a long run. It's a long when you're getting smoked, when you're giving away fifty four meters and it's not a handicap. It's a really feeling last hundred meters. I'll give you the hot tip. It's like a sprint that feels like it should be a job. By the time you're getting over that distance. I just feel like it shouldn't be considered. That's friends, George, you've got fun back.
Speaker 2: I sure do.
Speaker 3: I sure do.
Speaker 2: It wouldn't be a chat about sprinting or running if we did not mention the name you Saint Bolt.
Speaker 1: Fun fact Jellmy is that.
Speaker 3: You don't know this. He's got a lot of mentions this season. By the way, we basically could be a U Same Bolt Specialist podcast.
Speaker 1: Do you want me to Okay?
Speaker 3: It's because Murphy talked about the time where a friend decided to plump herself down on a table and say do you mind if we sit here? And this guy was like yeah, no worries. Then Murphy came up with the drinks and the guy was Usain Bold. No, and they've just sat on the table with the world's fastest runner. And then Laurence Birway told us about the time that a friend of hers was in a bath club with him or like something sort of spa. So we don't mean to be very Usain Bolt centric. We just have been. We just to be there's a catch up and if you haven't listened to it, that's picture's interest listeners go back.
Speaker 2: Well, now I want to contact Murphy and ask what Usain Bolt was eating because fun fact, at the two thousand and eight Olympics in Beijing, Usain Bolt ate only and I mean only chicken nuggets.
Speaker 1: For ten days.
Speaker 3: No, yes, no.
Speaker 2: So while he was there beating everyone in the world, in beaging all the things in Beijing, he ate. He would say thousands of chicken nuggets, maybe one hundred a day because for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, that's all he had chicken nuggets and water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my kind of man.
Speaker 3: I just firstly, how's your intergestion?
Speaker 1: Well, this is why he did it vault.
Speaker 2: He did it because when he first got there, he had a Chinese meal and in his own book, you would say, and it's not like we do Chinese, it's proper Chinese food, and it didn't really sit well with me. So he refused to risk it. It's so he's like, so no chicken cash you. So he's like, I'm not risking it. Better just eat a million nuggets and that powered him.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry his results. He was Olympic champion off nuggets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fastest man in the world off chicken nuggets. I can do anything, guys, if you just believe or is he just but.
Speaker 3: Even a nugget handicap doesn't because you can't you kind of optimum performance off a nugget.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I mean but water to water too, you know, a ration diet chicken nuggets and water.
Speaker 1: That's how good he was was That's.
Speaker 3: What most toddlers are running off and they're going, okay, but that's wild.
Speaker 1: I know, fun fact, a bit of fun.
Speaker 3: How do you have abs with chicken nuggets?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: This is a question I've been asking myself my entire life.
Speaker 3: Where are they?
Speaker 1: Where are they.
Speaker 2: Get bolt home at doing everything I can, everything I can.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm implementing you send a bolt.
Speaker 3: Diet to the d to the nuggets and water. That's that's so strange, that's so strange for mine. But I love that. Love that you're welcome also makes me feel kind of sick. Sure, thank you for listening to just very unhinged and very impassioned episode of Two Good Sports.
Speaker 2: George, what would be your meal, dear listeners, if you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, let us contact us. Also, just thank you so much for everyone who's always riding in we see everything.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. We appreciate it very very much.
Speaker 3: We love a topic, we love a topic you're interested in, and we'll try to follow in. But this has been a particularly unhinged one. We basically came from the perspective of the ill informed but angry. That will take time.
Speaker 1: Two Good Sports, Ill informed but angry. Don't wait to see that on billboards until next week.
Speaker 3: Be Sport