Speaker 1: Is it just me a podcast by a couple of midges? Mitch, you caught up with Sam Smith recently?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did. This is the I think officially the third time we spoke. They were actually my last interview face to face pre COVID. Oh really yeah, when they were here for Marti Gras, we sat down, had like a twenty minute chat, and then I think it blew up a couple of weeks even days later.
Speaker 1: Doesn't that feel like a lifetime ago? But also it feels like yesterday that it was Marti Gras.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know literally? And did how good? That Sam's last performance was gay as possible flying around in a giant harness and wings and.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and you tell me that you didn't stuff up that? They then pronouns once during this chat.
Speaker 2: No, I am all over it. I was well conscious and I'm very careful the whole time. But I think if you tread and tiptoe around that stuff, then you're gonna screw it up. I just went in wanting to have a good chat, and that's what happened.
Speaker 1: And the posts that note helped.
Speaker 2: The posted note stuck next to the webcam, you almost could see the corner inside the webcam.
Speaker 1: But I think it's good that you even go to the effort of having a post that note, because you know, practice makes perfect totally. It's something that some people struggle with. You know what really helped me with the they then pronoun thing, because you know how you always hear people say, oh, they is referring to more than one person. It doesn't make sense to talk about one person.
Speaker 2: Using they there. They're not a group of people exactly.
Speaker 1: So do you know what actually helped me make sense of it? Someone gave an example. They were like, all right, let's just say you find a lost wallet. You would say, oh, someone's lost their wallet. Oh have they gone far? I hope that they didn't have anything important in here? Oh I hope they haven't. You know, they're not stressed to talk about one person using they in that context. So it's like, if you don't know their gender, you just say that, yeah, there's no specified gender, you just say that.
Speaker 2: Very handy. All right, well I did nail it. Think of the lost wallet if you're ever struggling. I'm sure that Sam would be a Gucci wallet too. We wouldn't be around a girl velcro wallet, would they?
Speaker 1: No? Also, I am a big fan of the new album.
Speaker 2: Actually, oh Love Goes. It's got very sad. It's quite a vibe though maybe I'm fair. Well that's what we talk about. I'm like, are you going to go back to Path? And they were like nah, like maybe in eighty years. It was actually a really really nice, fun, laid back conversation. So we'll roll it now, Sam Smith and I from this week enjoy still Midnight.
Speaker 3: Hey, how were you?
Speaker 2: I am so good. I really am so good. How are you? You're glowing looks up a pinch of cheeks like your grandma, look at you.
Speaker 3: Thank you. No, I'm doing really good. Thanks, I mean, look's as good as we can. I'm doing all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I was just thinking, the last time you were here, and the last time we were face to face was for Mardi Gras, and thank Christ, the last time you were here it was for the gayest of end possible. What a great way to sort of before pre COVID life.
Speaker 3: Right, I know, I know, I literally yeah, we literally went out with the band. You know, last party I went to, I was flying in the air and address. Yeah we got I got I got my I definitely got my field before lockdown.
Speaker 2: That was your silly Queen of the Desert moment. How good living your best life? Will we be loved having you here? There's so much to talk about quickly. Has COVID been for you, because I know in the UK it was sort of crazy and then it was sort of got good and then now it's sort of going back. Is everything all right over there?
Speaker 3: It's okay. I think there's a new normal that's definitely set in. I think winter's going to be difficult. There's there's a constant, you know, the state of everything at the moment. You know, it is really hard. It's hard to it to struggle every day. I think, just to step up and and and be hopeful. But I'm I'm pretty certain we're all going to be okay and we're going to get through this. And yeah, it's been. Lockdown has been. I haven't lost anyone close to me, so I feel really I feel like commenting on it, I feel awkward sometimes because I've had a you know, I've been resting and I've been at home and working when I can. But a lot of people have had a really hard time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, agree, it's hard coming from a place of privilege, when we I mean, we both are very lucky to live the lives that we live. And some people, you know, I'll have to go to work and they're face to face with the pandemic. So it's hard to comment, like you said, but you know, I'm glad you're safe. I'm glad you've been creative or you has it sort of like put a dampner on your creative process.
Speaker 3: Oh no, you know what you know. And me, I love being sad, so you know, whenever I'm sad. Right, So I've been I've been making lots of great music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sam Smith has been in isolation for years. This is what they do. So let's talk about Let's talk about the new record, Love Goes, because it is it really is a beautiful, beautiful album, and I think it does so many things for you. But I think it just shows the world that you are a brilliant songwriter and you have such great vocal power. It's just so stripped back for you. I mean in parts, I mean there is just that pop element which we love from you, but it just really goes to show that you at your core are such a brilliant artist and you can you can just do it all which is incredible, but also it makes me want to just go, Oh my god, someone needs to hug Sam Smith, who hurt you?
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for all those compliments. That's really sweet. It's true. Oh my god, don't worry. I don't need a hug. I'm all right. I hugged myself. I've learned how to hug myself. I've got good family and friends. Do you know what I'm I just I'm I'm someone who enjoys the melancholy. I find the realness of life addictive, you know. I I'm I'm I find sad emotions or vulnerable emotions to be kind of more powerful sometimes than happiness in a weird way. And I think I like to tap into that. And you know, when I'm really happy and full of joy, I'm not normally in the studio, I'm actually out enjoying myself probably, but when I'm when I'm in the studio, I I I try and tap into something that moves me, you know, And normally that is someone else's story or mine or whatever. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I feel like, I mean, there clearly is a relationship, maybe one, maybe two, I don't know at play within this record. Was it a big breakup for you I'm imagining or was it a series? Was it little things? Or I mean because there are lyrics that just make me think this has something to do with a someone or I don't know, maybe a big relationship or is that what it's about.
Speaker 3: A big relationship? You know. I I've been in relationships about my life. They're normally the majority of them been unrequited relationships where I've been in love and the other person hasn't. This this one was my first ever relationship, you know. And I think a first ever relationship for someone, for anyone is a big one, but I think especially for queer people because we normally have our first relationships a little bit later than everyone else. Yeah, not everyone, but a lot of us do. I think our first relationships as well as like a massive mirror being putting our faces for the first time where we really see all the all the difficult things we've gone through and the things we don't like about ourselves because of the world, because of what the world's taught us. So it was definitely definitely my first proper heartbreak, you know. And this was and it was hard, but I got through it through creating a safe space in the studio and singing my ass through it. That's basically how I got got through it.
Speaker 2: Not singing through my no I was gonna say, Wow, that'd be a great single. I loved it. I can't wait for the film clip for that one. My god. I feel like you're just a big old romantic. Are you like a love a love letter or a note leaver? Like I with my boyfriend? I write little notes every morning. I'm like, have a great day, which is so cheesy, But is that? Like? What are you? What's your like romantic thing that you do that.
Speaker 3: Is so beautiful? I'm so jealous.
Speaker 2: I can write you know, I can old DM them to you won't.
Speaker 3: Be as Please join me? Yeah? Can I?
Speaker 2: I'll be the third twenty twenty we can be.
Speaker 3: I'm a massive romantic. I'm China. Also like, sometimes I'm too much of a romantic, so I expect way too much from people. So I definitely need to like hold back on that sometimes. But I'd be a no person. Love a flower? Give me a flower and I'll melt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. Chocolate works for me to in bed.
Speaker 3: That really would get me? That would really get me?
Speaker 2: Are you a foot massage. Guy, I love a good foot message.
Speaker 3: No, don't touch my feet, really no one.
Speaker 2: You'll sing for your ass, but you don't want your feet touched. What is going on? Sam Smith? Thank cute? I'm delving into into the life of how cute. There's a lyric though in one of the in one of the songs where you say, I think it's my mom says I'm a romantic and you shouldn't be something like that? Was that? Was that something growing up that I'm probably butchering the lyric, but that you were told like it's a romantic, Like, just pull it back a bit, Sammie, pull back.
Speaker 3: I think so. I think so. My dad's a romantic. My dad is a crazy romantic. Your dad, but you know to this day, you know he's just got married two years ago. But he's like, he'll meet someone and after the first days, I've met the love of my life and it's like it's like he's he's in a movie. My mom, on the other hand, is a bit more of a realist. So you know, I'll go on a few dates with someone, I'll be like, no, not my vibe, and my Mom's like stick it out, stick it out it might be something really good, and I'm like, no, but I didn't get goose bumps. So I think I've got a good mixture of both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know you may, but he touched my fate back. That's right, fate. I got a run out of time. We have to talk. Let's talk about kids again, because this song, it hits hard. I mean, even after all this time, I kind of miss you still. I mean everyone has been through that, everyone's felt that. Don't it make you sad that will never be kids again? I mean that's tough too. What's at the core of this song? What is it about?
Speaker 3: I mean, the chord of the song is about looking back at a relationship after you've moved on, and after you're feeling good and still looking back. And you know, there's always whenever I look back at any of my relationships, you know, even friendships and stuff, there's a pang of sadness sometimes because I won't ever be back there again, you know, and it's kind of it's a mad feeling. But also the song for me symbolizes the end of this record. You know, it's the last song on the record, and it's it's basically I think this is my kind of way of leaving pop music a little bit. You know, I love pop music and I've had such an amazing time exploring it. This album. I'm always going to make it, for sure, but I'm not going to write with the intent of making it, which I did with this album. So it's this is for me, It's it's it's the song that hands you over to album four, which I'm doing that.
Speaker 2: And also you can come back to pop. I mean, for God's sake, if you want to do pop wlightering life, you'll do pop wightering live right.
Speaker 3: Well, well, of course probably I'll get to like seventy and then be like, I'm going to bring seventeen.
Speaker 2: I reckon, you'll do it in three years You'll be like such I missaid, I'm gonna release Bob May as well. Probably, Yeah, we love it. You're coming up to thirty two. How do you feel You're anxious coming over to thirty or do you feel like ready for this moment in your life?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm yeah, I'm twenty eight, I've got a year and yeah, year and a half, and then I'm then I'm at thirty. Do you know what I'm not gonna lie, I've been a bit like whoa, that's weird, Like whoa. It makes me like sometimes I get a bit like scared, like have I have I enjoyed my twenties enough? Have I enjoyed my twenty too much? But yeah, all the normal feelings. I'm excited. I think thirty is going to be an adventure, you know, and I'm feeling so much better in my skin twenties. Your twenties are almost like this kind of it's like it's like it's like Bambi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, a giraffe learning like a baby giraffe learning how to walk like sort of like wobbly falling over. I know what you mean. And especially like you said, as quick people, right, it really is hard. I think we go through things so much later. I mean I came out at twenty three, got my first boyfriend at twenty four, and it's a whole new world. Right You've got to learn things.
Speaker 3: Speak, Yeah, and you have to. It's like a yeah, it's like a crash course in life, isn't it. Your twenties, especially as a queer person. You know, it's like headed it stick and like ah, but yeah, I'm getting stable now, which.
Speaker 2: Is good good. I'm glad to see it, and I can see it in you. I just I love watching your journey and you've done so much in the last like twelve months alone, I mean, being like a queer, non binary performer and probably one of the biggest names in the world. Did you feel any sort of hesitation making choices or putting music out or speaking openly about your sexuality or you know, being a non binary artist. Do you feel sort of like, oh, I'm going to think before I speak now, or are you in a space of comfort that you're like, you know what, I can speak freely about this stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, I think when I changed my pronouns and everything, it was the complete opposite to that. I think I couldn't hold it in anymore, and I was so I felt so kind of silenced by myself and about and from a few people around me, felt so much shame about things that I needed to just go well and let it out and speak about it. And I did. Now I feel so good. I feel free to say what I want. But I'm also learning now to also not give everything away and keep something myself. You know, it's about me being healthy up here, So I will share when I feel when my cup is full, you know, when more cups going down, then I need to hold back and look after myself.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, thirty is going to be good to you. I think thirty is the year that you get into faith. And I don't want to keep pushing the feet thing, Sam, but I just think you need to dabble in and some feet fun. You know, it's a whole your world. You know, a big toe can be exciting. We love you in Australia. I could talk for another hour with you, but when when you can get back down here next, I'd love to have you. And now that we're officially in a throttle, we're going to have to see more of each other.
Speaker 3: I think let's go for a drink.
Speaker 2: Yestre. We'll go with Trent. I know Trent really well and obviously I know you do, so we'll get drinks when Oh sounds like heaven. We love you. We love the album and I'm so excited that we have this different side to you and it's it's just brilliant. I love your work. So congratulations, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Thank you. That was a lovely chat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was so much fun and we will We'll see you when we can. I'm getting all these messages going quick. Sam's very busy, so I'm very sorry.
Speaker 3: So good, don't worry, don't mind. That was a joy all.
Speaker 2: Right talking to me. Thank you guys, see ya much love. You can follow the show online just search a couple of miches. If you don't, you're a tighead.