Speaker 1: Tuesday afternoon on the pickup, it's Britt, Laura and Mitch here right now, get half price off cosmetics across the Maybelene, Revlon, Rimal, Nude by Nature, the list goes on. It's all great Rangers, all at Chemist Warehouse.
Speaker 2: Now, we were just talking to one of Australia's most trusted parenting experts. His name's doctor Coulson. He's on Parental Guidance, the new TV show Channel Night. Oh my god, it's very brilliant and if you're a parent who's just fumbling your way through trying to figure out the right way to parent, as we all are, it is a truly brilliant show. But we got talking about social media and whether it's okay to have your kids on social media or not. Because there is one family who is on the show at the moment and they have a nine year old who has their own social media account. They have like five hundred thousand followers, and they're also making money as a nine year old off the social media account. I mean, my kids, they feature on my social media from time to time. But I think that there's a really big difference between making money from your children on social media and just sharing kind of like the highlight reel of what's happening in your life. Because if you're a mummy blogger and that's your one and only job is to be a mummy blogger and to talk about the experience of parenting, and that's how you make all your money. I think the big issue with that type of social media is that then it makes it really hard to say no when jobs come in. So instead of being able to have a good litmus for the types of things that you share about your kids, if all your income is tied up on social media and you don't have any other ways of making an income, it makes it really challenging to say I don't want to do that job or I don't want to put my kid in that campaign, because ultimately you're saying no to money.
Speaker 3: Do the kids get the money? Are you putting it in an account for the kids? Like where's it going? Are the kids earning the money for the parents and the parents are just using it themselves. I think there's a whole other layer to it.
Speaker 2: Well also means right that you need to share the more and more personal, the more vulnerable, the more challenging parts of parenting. That you share, the bigger your community gets online because the more mums relate to it, the more they want to talk about it, and that that's how you kind of grow your following. But the thing I think is really worrying about that is that if you're sharing the really vulnerable bits about your parenting experience, you're also sharing the really vulnerable bits about your kids as well, and your kids can't opt into that. And that's where I think it's a bit of a gray area where this sharenting thing can go too far.
Speaker 1: It's all well and good to say kids are on social media and then assume that kids are the only people engaging with that content, but it's not true. There are creeps on the internet that look at its content.
Speaker 2: So what about their privacy exactly?
Speaker 1: I think social media overall for children would have an overarchingly negative effect.
Speaker 4: Oh it does.
Speaker 3: It's proven, and it's so addictive.
Speaker 2: That's the big thing, more so than just having a negative impact. It's so addictive.
Speaker 1: We've got Emma on thirteen one or six five high. Emma, you've got your kids. What is your stance on this?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 4: I am hav an eleven year old daughter, and I just feel like, she doesn't need social media right now. She has the rest of her life to be on Instagram and TikTok and Facebook. So why does she need to spend the years that I would probably say some of the most important years about finding out who she is as a person and developing her own identity. Why should she be spending those years comparing herself to others?
Speaker 2: Is she wanting it? Has she been trying to ask for it or pressure you for it so far?
Speaker 4: Look, probably twelve months ago she did because she's one of the only ones in her friendship group without it. So we let her have kids Messenger because that's something we can monitor, and she's not being exposed to, you know, the highlight reels on Instagram and TikTok. But after we had that conversation with her and said, we don't think that she's emotionally mature enough to be exposed to some of the content. She understands and she knows that her time will come and we will let her have it one day, but it's just not right now.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 3: It scares the bejeevas out of me. Sometimes I look online and I'm like, I don't think I have the emotional capacity to deal with it, let alone bring in and keith in and then having it. I actually genuinely it plays on my mind.
Speaker 2: I think you need to have very good boundaries as a parent with you You have to be okay with saying no to your children, and that's something that a lot of parents struggle with, especially when you want to be friends with your kids. Having those boundaries and saying no can be really, really hard. And also as an adult, as a parent, you have to be social media literate. You've got to understand what's happening on social media to be able to help educate your kids and protect them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go live in the real world, Get outside kids.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get out of here. If you missed any of the show, head to the iHeartRadio app. You can search the pickup and remember when cold and flu strikes, Demeson gets it done. Always follow the directions.
Speaker 2: For you will and what are you driving you home?
Speaker 5: Next?
Speaker 2: Everyone, boys, what's on the show?
Speaker 5: Gooday, guys, massive show. We're going to be joined by the new Sunrise host Huge Shoes to fill filling in the Great David Kosia's shoes. Yes it is Matt Srvington plus will is having a mental health day today, so a very very special guest is filling in for him, and I'll tell you who that is when our show begins, right up next.
Speaker 3: Sounds good, guys, can't wait, see you all tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Siah