Speaker 1: The Flex and Rooms Daily.
Speaker 2: Podcast, brought to you by Cata.
Speaker 3: Hello and welcome to this most gorgeous edition of Flex My Homes podcast. Happy Tuesday or whenever you're getting this, maybe you're binging it in a far far away universe like the James Webb telescope looking back in time in US span. She's having an absolutely gorgeous time.
Speaker 4: I love that. Thanks.
Speaker 5: This This episode is mostly nightmarish.
Speaker 4: I uncovered a video, am I an archaeologist.
Speaker 3: I wasn't.
Speaker 4: I think it wasn't delivered to me by an algorith James with telescope.
Speaker 3: He's like, damn, I really worked hard back then.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 5: I saw a TikTok video about this girl living in a seventy person sharehouse. I definitely thought she was taking the piss for sure. I thought she lived at like a unidorm a tree and that was a little hook.
Speaker 4: It wasn't.
Speaker 5: And this episode is us talking about our own experiences with share housing through me giving her current housemate the snip, and also just any rules and regulation to what it takes to live with one of us expressions of interest for through me, none of that.
Speaker 4: I'll find it myself. Manifesting. Okay, okay, let's go flex.
Speaker 5: And I've only recently started buying a few designer things here and there, play Valenciaga crocs, crocs, But I only try and buy things that I would actually wear, not for status, just for aesthetic.
Speaker 4: Like the.
Speaker 5: Inherent value of these crocs are not there. They're rubber shoes that were very expensive, very silly.
Speaker 4: What are we talking? Eight hundred yeah, but cost per way.
Speaker 5: You see how much aware my other Balnciaga krockies, like every single day, I wear them like they're running shoes. But I had a bad experience that put me off buying designer for a little bit. Ei there were these sunglasses from lowerv. I like sunglasses. I wear them quite a bit, these so rare. I was like, oh my god, I need to get them the limited edition. I bought them six hundred dollars. No, not necessary.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 5: The next week I went to La went to I was on Melrose shopping and I went to like one of those random, you know, fast fashion type boutiques, you know, nothing too expensive. What do I see but these same glasses on the counter in multiple colors. I'm saying, Oh, I's got kind of Accessible boutique is selling six different colors of these limited edition sunglasses. Not only were they ten dollars, I held both of them next to each other couldn't tell the difference.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 5: So since then, I've been very very suss on or just more discerning on when to even spend on designer because I'm aware of the ridiculous markup. But nothing could have surprised me for this TikTok I saw about this Gucci markup product. I wouldn't say it's a fault, but I think it's a website error.
Speaker 4: Listen to this.
Speaker 6: Have we finally found out what it cost luxor brands to manufacture their products? So yesterday the Gucci diy a figure while it went on sale, they should have been advertised for six hundred and fifteen pounds, but there was an error on the website and they were listed for far less. Several people managed to buy them, and when I say several, I mean loads. They were listed for eight pounds seventy. So was the human error input and instead of the selling price, they imputed the cost price of the item. Either way, someone at Gucci is in very, very big trouble.
Speaker 7: Eight pounds and I know that there are heaps of these factories that claim to be the manufacturers of designer wears and sell their wares for much cheaper, But eight pounds to six hundred pounds.
Speaker 4: Come on, that wasn't an eight pound bag.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Surely, like places like Gucci have to have ethical factories.
Speaker 5: These are the same places that burn and cut up their items so they can't go to outlet stores and be sold and bought by people who aren't rich. So I feel like ethics it's not at the top of the list. How good was that guy's voice though his accent?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Does that mean they got to keep them?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 5: This has happened before on different kind of retailers, and usually by the time it becomes TikTok trends, they'll cancel the orders and say like, we're really sorry, there was a glitch in the system. We've refunded you the money you spent. Doesn't It doesn't happen so often that it's a thing, but it happens quite a bit every now, and the people be like, quick, run to this site, there's a glitch, buy the stuff, and then it gets so viral when a million people have done it. They're like, Okay, we're canceling these orders. One or two of you, great, all of you.
Speaker 3: No, that's clever, but damn Gucci, Savage, Flex and frooms.
Speaker 4: Have you seen those.
Speaker 3: Stories or I guess these pictures or moving images of influencers taking content in other people's houses and backyards.
Speaker 4: I would say that's like ninety percent of it.
Speaker 6: Is it?
Speaker 5: Not like, Hey, I found a really nice wall. It's like the front of somebody's house.
Speaker 3: Remember that p Smith building in La Pink One. Actually genius for Paul Smith. I get it when it's a commercial property. Anyway, there was this story semi recently about this influencer getting a bikini photo outside of this really fancy house. It was a coastal fancy yeah like Queensland, Yeah, gold Coast, but.
Speaker 4: Still like a multimillion dollar property. Yeah did you see that? I think I did. Yeah, you were telling me there was like more of the st oh yeah, this one.
Speaker 5: So this story comes out of this girl undressing in front of a property to like change her.
Speaker 4: Outfit to get content.
Speaker 5: And the photo we see is someone taking a photo of their CCTV footage. It's crystal clear, it's four K you know what I'm saying, it's none of this grainy you know, two forty p you can see what's happening here. So that happens, and everyone's talking about influencers in this property, and then the daily Mail article start coming, thenews dot com articles start coming, and you notice this a consistent trend of people referencing the house, like it's not just some random house, it's a multi milllion dollar house that's for sale. This is the address, this is the link, this is the whatever. It's a four bedroom, two bathroom type situation. And then I was thinking, oh, this would be funny, like what if this is pa ha ha ha ha. My FBI agent in my phone knew what kind of wavelength I was on because then it showed me this TikTok of this girl who was also on the same wavelength, who was kind of like, this is amazing. Pr as if this is not planted, it's like, wouldn't it be like if somebody is selling a multimillion dollar property, they have the budget. You don't have to, but it is customary to allocate a bit of a marketing budget to sell your property, whether that's listing it or you know, putting it in certain articles or whatever. It's a pretty you know, common thing to do. People are like, well, what if they paid this influencer to create content outside of this house, something salacious that would get people talking or better yet, what if the story was pitched to publications. It's like, oh, this is like a funny thing that we saw this influencers like getting changed out front of her.
Speaker 4: We happened to be selling Janius Genius.
Speaker 3: Well, my sister, without seeing that story, messaged me last week this picture of somebody outside her house. And I asked her about it, and here's what she had to say.
Speaker 8: Just after I first bought the place but hadn't yet settled, mother and I were here just admiring it around, like from the outside, and we walked around the back and we were looking at the car park and just generally admiring the building. And then these two people, like a guy and a girl in their twenties early twenties, walked out and we're walked down the sort of driveway and we're taking all these pictures of the building and just talking about how cool it was, and they apologized to us and we.
Speaker 4: Laughed and we're like, it's not ours.
Speaker 8: But that kind of made me feel good because I just made this huge decision to buy it, and it kind of validated my thinking.
Speaker 4: It was okay, what else did you say?
Speaker 5: You guys speak so similar that could just be you Like it sounds the way like the way that you structure sentences.
Speaker 4: It's the same person.
Speaker 5: Really, Yeah, it's almost at that brand association. Hot person using this house as a signal of hotness validates the value of said house.
Speaker 4: How do you measure the value of something if a hot person is not near?
Speaker 3: It literally instant both social and financial and residential capital.
Speaker 4: So I would say, I just can't get over the voice thing. Really you like? You two sound so similar. You have the same kind.
Speaker 5: Of like like verbiage and quirks when you speak.
Speaker 4: It's so odd. Wow, we should get her in the get her in? Well, we just need one of you, so one has to go. You already made a double ganger. This is flex and frooms. It's not every day I.
Speaker 5: Read or see information that truly leaves me just at a loss for words. But nothing rendered me speechless more than seeing a TikTok video of this girl documenting her experience living in a seventy person sharehouse.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, seven zero.
Speaker 5: I don't even know the mechanics of how many bedrooms a house needs to have to house seventy people.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is a day in the life of someone who lives in a seventy person house in San Francisco. That's someone being me, a twenty four year old that lives in a bunk bed. Anyway, this is the sink room. It's a room for sinks. It's right across in my bedroom, which is pretty cool. Some people have things in their rooms, but not me.
Speaker 5: Somebody left a comment and said, if you pay more than one hundred dollars in rent, that's outrageous.
Speaker 4: She made a reply video.
Speaker 2: Okay, this garment is killing me because in what world is anyone paying one hundred dollars for rent, even with seventy people? Like maybe if this was in Wyoming, but I live in go and it's really expensive over here. But the biggest question I have been getting is how much do I pay in rent? Which is very valid. I do feel like I have to explain myself, though, so let's get into that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there's singles, doubles, and triples. Although I don't know any I think there's like three people living in a triple right now.
Speaker 2: I don't know anyone else, so I'm not sure how many triples there are, so it's mostly singles and doubles. Private rooms right now are going for sixteen fifty in UP. I guess I'm in a double and double rooms are starting at eleven fifty right now.
Speaker 4: That's one extending. Here's the thing.
Speaker 5: When she said seventy persons share house, I thought, okay, like creative commune. I'm thinking about ways that could make sense, Like maybe there's do you know, thirty bedrooms or something, or it's feeling a bit like Midside. There are a bunch of you know, bunk beds in a room, very camp five, and I thought, maybe it's a temporary situation where you get on your feet, that kind of thing, or UNI accommodation. And she's just lying about it, like you live in a UNI household. No, no, no, she lives in a functioning house that was built to accommodate seventy people and has sink rooms and sinks in rooms. The thing that gets me is SIS is paying premium prices to be there.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 5: She says that San Francisco is expensive, but if you're paying two hundred and fifty US dollars or maybe around three hundred Australian dollars a week to live with sixty nine other people, I'm so sorry that there has to be a better way to manage your money.
Speaker 3: I just like, what is it seventy of them? Are they also in age? Like?
Speaker 4: What is the building? What are the She only showed us the sinks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and this is the thing, like she later on in the video, you do see her sitting in her living room, which is not that big.
Speaker 4: By the way.
Speaker 5: I saw two four seedar couches and one three seater and they're all sitting around having a kiki, enjoying each other's company. I think it is meant to be like a creative household or for like you know, young explains implants whichever people just like you know, joining the city for the first time. But I'm like, there was no better deal for you in seventy people. I don't want to sound insensitive because as someone who hasn't lived with anyone since my family and the one friend I live with for a couple of months, and you currently live in a sharehouse as well, we have different approaches to this, so.
Speaker 3: Nothing about this story makes a whole bunch of sense to me.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna lie. You think she's lying.
Speaker 3: It's just like she's omitting something. There's something up with this.
Speaker 4: What like, what do you think if you just had to give me your most sinister take?
Speaker 3: My most sinister take is not proper for the podcast. Something I can say to you in jest, and then it's yeah, I think you're right about the unidorm situation. I reckon it's like a UNI or like works putting them up. They work some fucked up startup that like wants them to be working around the clock, so it's like supervising them in their house. That's where my dystopian start of my brain goes to. But yeah, man, I the most amount of people I've lived with is three.
Speaker 4: I think the minute you go over three three including you or three okay, cool, three including me?
Speaker 3: Anything above that, all responsibility is everybody like gives it up.
Speaker 4: It's free for it.
Speaker 3: No one's taking out the bins, okay, no one is. We got different schedules. The hot water is running out of the bathroom because everybody's taking enormously long showers. So I'm currently in the process of moving out of my house or like looking for a new house because my lease is up in October.
Speaker 4: What are you looking for?
Speaker 3: I'm starting afresh, so I'm gonna build a new house. I want to live with two people at the.
Speaker 4: Least, like build a new living environment.
Speaker 5: You're building No, okay, the money is stuck in correct the catercut she's flowing.
Speaker 3: Now I'm doing another sharehouse, perhaps like Paddington Area or Bronz Tea. I'm kind of like not fast, but yeah, creating a new environment. I want, like a really homely home with can I ask why, Well, my lease is up. I've just been in the place that I'm in for two years, living with one other girl, and we're such close friends.
Speaker 4: But she's getting a snit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like we might end up together, because we might find one of the person to move together. But yeah, like I think we can remain friends. Like I think you can only live with a person for a certain amount of time if you're not in a relationship. Oh and that's no shade on her, because how long do you think that is?
Speaker 4: Like two years?
Speaker 3: Every sharehouse I've been in, it's been two years and then I yeech out of there.
Speaker 4: And how do those conversations go?
Speaker 5: So, because I can imagine, you know the lease is coming up, do you address it preamptively and say, hey, Lisa's about to end. I'm thinking I might move to a different location and you can't come.
Speaker 3: Well, we literally had the conversation last night. Yeah, yeah, it was fine, like because I our agent called us or message us last week saying you've got to make a decision about the least in the next week.
Speaker 4: And I came in.
Speaker 3: And I said, I don't want to live here anymore because like it's like fucking got mold in the house and shit, and I'm just not that into bond eye and she knows that, and she loves not.
Speaker 4: That into mold and personal preference.
Speaker 3: Mold spurs in my room are not quite the vibe that I'm going for. And yeah, she might continue on the least and find someone else. Like it's sad, We're both sad.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, And what's your criteria for the new housemates? Do you want people in a creative field? Do you like do you want to live with guys?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: No, guys? I like someone clean. Cleanliness is really important to me, and like, yeah, cleanliness and nice vibes and if you're not in a nice mood, go to your room kind of style thing, which is every relationship I've had in the house has been like that, So I just want more of the same thing.
Speaker 5: And is it very hard to find that? Like I can imagine when you say you're looking for someone clean, everyone's like, hey, I'm clean, and then you don't know if that's the case until you physically go and live with them, and then you're stuck with a grubby beast.
Speaker 3: I think I'm gonna only live with people that are friends of friends that I know I can talk to the person they've lived with candidly, oh you on the reference to get the scoop.
Speaker 4: I'm not going blind with anyone. I'd rather just.
Speaker 3: Move in by myself, which is also also an option. I like that, but I want that communal vibe. You know, this is probably gonna be my last sharehouse. I'm twenty seven. I'm probably gonna move into my own place in like three years, so I may as well just crank it if it is. If it is like a messy place, then so be it, because I'm gonna have my own space soon and it's gonna be immaculate.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it's gonna be immaculate.
Speaker 4: In the side of.
Speaker 3: My little desk that I have next to my microphone is a fucking pig.
Speaker 4: Start. We got red bulls, lemonades.
Speaker 5: Made red hoole sitting a mug the Miscellarious, a mug that you were drinking sprite out of, but then it got demoted into a bin.
Speaker 3: Chocolate sprinkles everywhere. Yeah, I'm a bit of a bish pig myself, but you know, the girl wants what the girl wants exactly.
Speaker 5: And I can also imagine this is how the this girl has decided she's happy to live in a seventy person sharehouse. Because if I imagine you're moving to a new place and you just want to fast track the making friends, building community, knowing where to go, that's one way to do it.
Speaker 4: Like, there you go. Those are all your friends.
Speaker 5: You don't need to like seek out anything, you you don't need to ask anyone for fresh recommendations. It's all in the one space. Maybe the premium you're paying is that kind of access to community and a support system.
Speaker 3: Shit to critique you to her, but for your house yeah, I like it.
Speaker 5: I would never do it, but I support it. I don't think I want to live with anyone.
Speaker 3: What about when you find a partner, Yeah, I've tried.
Speaker 5: You know, you have a little you have your little trial runs. I'm like, I've seen what I need to see, and I don't think it's necessary. I just definitely think that there aren't there aren't very many ways to merge two people's living needs in an extremely harmonious way. Like one person is always getting the short end of the stick, whether it's aesthetically not having your stuff in the space, not one in the location, having different budgets. I feel like it's this negotiation that I don't feel like doing.
Speaker 3: The aesthetics to me, it's the ugly couch that we you move in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, gross, I like that. Let me know how it goes. I will hear about it because it's going to be in October. So I've got to get cracking. Well, you're gotta move right after you come back from your trip.
Speaker 3: Yeah, literally, the leases up the day I get back. Huh.
Speaker 4: I don't know how I'm gonna do it. We're going to need some help.
Speaker 5: Guys, don't look at us. That's one thing about fruit. We should always try to ask for help.
Speaker 4: From the community. No, I'm not Brookie. I've left my rings to the office. Can you go and look? Can you ask reception? Flex? Did I leave my things at the photoshoot? I'm going to text photography.
Speaker 3: I specifically didn't include you in the fucking company wide email that I sent on my life literally missing clothes from the sheet. Excuse me, everyone, it's fucking embarrassing.
Speaker 4: But I lost for all I lost, and I freaked out, and we say, it's not my problem with yours. Anyone. Let us know how you go.
Speaker 3: Babe, you're listening to Flex and frooms on Kada. I am going to tell you about a relationship dilemma.
Speaker 5: Loved advice, love advice, love advice.
Speaker 4: We are going to give love advice. So let me read it to you.
Speaker 3: My friends with Benefits is in a serious relationship and.
Speaker 4: Never told me. Oh that's the title.
Speaker 3: So me and this guy have been friends with benefits for about two years now and was doing great until a couple of days ago. He posted a mere selfie of him with a ring on his ring finger and polyoids of a girl inside his phone's cover.
Speaker 4: That's when you know it's serious.
Speaker 3: Then when I checked his account, found out more pictures of him and this girl, and they definitely seem like a couple. Everyone was commenting things like, oh, y'all just look so cute together and stuff like that. So I just texted him saying let's end things up, and he was like, weird, but okay, considering nothing happened. So I texted back saying, how I figured he's in a relationship and never told me since the whole friends with benefits thing is for single people, and she put in brackets if I'm not getting that wrong though, and this is pretty much cheating unless they're in an open relationship, which I bet to be honest. He then says, I'll give you a little advice on how you should never say what you just said to anyone, since it's nney a business, bud.
Speaker 4: Take care of yourself.
Speaker 3: WHOA, And I'm here all confused on how it's none of my business. First of all, I don't want to be someone's side chick and definitely don't want to fool someone by letting their partner cheat on them. With me, I'm not that kind of person because I would definitely tell my friends with benefits if I'm seeing someone, especially when it's a serious thing. So I don't know if I'm wrong for believing it, And I'm not sure if I'm wrong for believing I have a right to know about a relationship, or if he's an absolute jerk. It's a lot, it's a lot.
Speaker 5: I think the first thing we need to figure out is, I don't think the question she's asking is the question that she wants answers to, because this feels a bit like a you didn't ask the right questions, you didn't get the right answer. First, she says that I don't think that friends with benefits should have other relationships.
Speaker 4: I thought that was a whole.
Speaker 5: Point, Like we have this casual ting here, a little casual thing here, and those two shall not meet because it's a casual relationship. Also, you found yourself in a two year friends with benefits situation. I'm sensing a bit of bitterness because not only is the person that you've been doing the things with in a whole other relationship, they're in a whole committed matrimonial relationship that's got a sting that's gotta hurt more than regular. Like I just like somebody else like, not only do I like someone else, I'm probably in la and with them totally. I don't think that friends with benefits have to disclose what they're doing outside of that relationship unless you've decided that you're in a traditional relationship with traditional expectations. I think she can be upset that she didn't know. That's a weird thing to find out all of a sudden, But I do think her approach lacked a lot of tact in the sense that she assumed that she was the number one and so approach that situation as though he had been deceitful in a way that disrespected the boundaries of their relationship. But based on the way they're interacting does it's not there were any no.
Speaker 4: I think she could have gone about it better.
Speaker 3: She probably could have been like, hey, I noticed this thing when I were on your paste.
Speaker 4: How did she go about it? Again?
Speaker 3: She just found a photo of them and then said, hey, I didn't know that you were dating someone. She was like, let's end things. Yeah, and then he was like weird, but okay. And then she was like, seeing as you have.
Speaker 5: A whole nother, you know, relationship, you should have told me, And he was like, yeah, tip for next time, don't come at people that way, which I think he might have been trying to say, like you don't know, because he was alluding to like, you don't know my business and like you didn't ask, therefore, why are you getting mad at me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because let's send things is pretty straight up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know. It's tricky.
Speaker 5: I feel for her because clearly she's been blindsided. She's been blindsided and it's a huge quote unquote bomb to drop on someone. And I can imagine like the first thing you think to do when you've been hit with surprising information is not to lead with tact like it's a very difficult thing to do. But to answer her question, no, I don't think that friends with benefits have to disclose what they're doing outside of the context of that relationship if it's not harming your health.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, I think she's got a good point about like she doesn't know if the girlfriend or the wife knows about it, and I think that's a really nice thing to consider. But after hearing what you say, FLEXI, it's not her business and.
Speaker 5: Also like saying that that was her main priority, but that's not what you asked. You didn't say, hey, does your girlfriend know that we've been sleeping with each other?
Speaker 4: You just said let's end things. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So realistically, if it was like a righteous crusade and being like I just want to make sure that she's all good. Yeah, when I started with that, the thing that sucks with her in this instance is like where is the juicy gas? So you don't even know what the situation is because he could be cheating, and if so scumbag behavior, they could be equally nominogamous.
Speaker 4: If so, chill, we know what.
Speaker 3: That's a pipeline too. Well, we won't get into it.
Speaker 4: This is flex and frooms.
Speaker 5: On the other day, I was talking to you about how there is no biological physiological reason for annoyance.
Speaker 4: There should be, but it has.
Speaker 5: Not been researched enough for us have a definitive answer, Like we can understand why people in certain regions have longer eyelashes to keep the sand away during dust storms, things like this. But as I was researching the reason why we get annoyed, I was introduced to this social experiment that happened. So people were researching the psychology of waiting in line, and what is it about it that makes it actually irritating, you know, getting to the cruxfit. So in the fifties, there was this high rise building in Manhattan and they had this problem because there was only one lift going up and down, so all the tenants had these excessively long wait times to go or to wait people to go all the way up and come all the way down, and sometimes it didn't stop. And people were getting frustrated because when they took their lunch breaks, they were stuck there. They couldn't actually enjoy their meals.
Speaker 4: Fair fine.
Speaker 5: They kept complaining, and so the building managers were like, what should we do? We can't just install another elevator, it's not going to work. So the building manager asked his staff for any suggestions, like what do you think we can start to implement to make people less frustrated because they are blowing up my dms and I cannot deal with them. Yeah, the nineteen fifty CMS. So one employee was like, people are probably just bored. I don't think they I think they're overestimating how long they're waiting because there's nothing for them to do, no mobiles, no entertainment. So he was like, just install some mirrors, and the guys were like, calm down. He's like, no, seriously, put some mirrors there. Give people something to do, watch other people, watch each other, be distracted by their own impression. And so they did install the floor to ceiling mirrors because it was the cheapest option, and he said, immediately complaints went down to zero. So is there a correlation between annoyance and to officiality. Probably, But realistically people often aren't let people overestimate time or how long something takes when they're not entertained.
Speaker 3: That is so true. Now I'm thinking about all the places that I've been that have a lift, there's almost always a mirror yep.
Speaker 4: And it goes so much quicker. You can prene for about a minute and a half, two minutes if you really wanted.
Speaker 1: To love that.
Speaker 3: Preening is like what sims do. Yeah, I can't imagine a human yep. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 3: For more, tune in Decater on D A B or stream it on iHeartRadio.