Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the the podcast Millennials who want Financial Freedom. Today, my friends, is Friday, which means it is time to get our little team together and celebrate you how incredible. She's on the Money community today, mis just greed. She is going to be sharing her favorite money wins from the community. Beck Sayed is going to be sharing her best broke tips which have been going very well by my dad. We get lots of good feedback. Beck. We're going to be answering a juicy money dilemma which this week is all about buying a house with your partner. That clicking is just pulling out her invisil line because she forgot to take it out for recording and unpacking something that you slid into our DMS about which this week we're talking about splitting the bill at dinner. Let's ask Jessica, how are in visil line? Is it this week? Really good? It's really good? Fuck great?
Speaker 4: Oh you know, I've had him for so long and I'm on like, I've only got a couple of days left on this trace.
Speaker 2: She didn't hurt too much at all. The little click click click, You're welcome everyone. I have done in Fizzle Liner as well. And it's funny because at the very beginning, if you're in Fizzlene, Jenny, I feel like everybody just like walks out of the room, goes to the bathroom, takes rinses them, puts them back in the case, pops them in their handbag. And then obviously jess is a heap of mumps in because she's just whipping them out of that they're sitting on the table. She's not going to rinse them. Dot care. I remember at the start, though, you were like so particular about putting. Do you even know where your case is?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Actually it's it's in my car. I think, yeah, okay, when I take her in your car.
Speaker 4: When you through the drive through, because when I I put my in throw them out by accident.
Speaker 5: That makes sense, very responsible.
Speaker 2: The rest of your week being Jess, I'm getting on a plane today.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, but I like nothing this week really can trump the exciting news, like forget my news.
Speaker 2: We have an emails count, then you go first.
Speaker 5: That's okay, Well you're ALIPs I know no, but okay, Well, my week was actually really good. It was full of just so many I have had so many plans like it started from Friday last week literally up until today. It was just full of people that friends that I've known for a long time that I feel comfortable with in myself with, and new friends that I felt connected to. And it's been a really full week. All my buckets are full. I feel great.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. But is it because you got English muffins? Thank you so much. That's so nice.
Speaker 5: It's very oily. That's probably why week it's sleep I think this is the big news. Actually, Victoria brought us some I'm really lovely English muffins.
Speaker 2: I got the best English I always thought we have. I always give the most rogue presence, Like if I'm into something, I'm like, hey, Jess, I brought you this jam and I love it. You're never going to get like, oh, here's a really thoughtful president that costs lots and lots of money. I bought you English muffins, but.
Speaker 5: That's they do cost.
Speaker 2: They are very very good for those of you in Melbourne. They are the Dreary Lane English muffins and I am obsessed with them, like they are honestly the best English muffins in the entire world. I also think it's a really good name for an English muffin company.
Speaker 5: Lane hard to say. Where does he live?
Speaker 2: Drewy Lane? Is that not the best English muffin company name ever? Is it is? I really like it.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm just dying to get to the elephant in the room.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's not really an elephant's trying to think of a funny segue.
Speaker 4: And I was going to like make it a size related comment, but I feel like I don't know.
Speaker 2: I know, well, this is maybe about news. Is the size of the English Muffin. This is so strange announcing it on the podcast, but my husband Steve and I are having baby. Yeah, yeah, it's really really fun. We're very obviously grateful for it. It has been a journey getting here, but I feel like it is, yeah, very exciting to announce. Also, I guess in the same breath they want to say that news could have hit you in the chest like a ton of bricks if you're hearing it and going through I guess fertility challenges. I know that when I was in that position where I'd had a few losses and it was really hard getting pregnant and life was just at that point, it felt really dark, like I didn't like hearing other people's pregnancy news. And I get it if you're not excited. I totally get at your feelings are so valid, and I think that that is part of the journey. But I think it's holy we're going to add another Gillie to the squad. Well we don't know, we don't know, but everybody's just assuming it's a girl. We're nearly halfway at this point, so I did leave it a little bit late. I think it was like the worst kept secret in the history of ever because I have been so sick. So everybody in our office absolutely well and truly knows. There were a few questions, Yeah, mich whenever I did speaking events, like I do have a bit of a bump, So there was a lot of like bombastic side eye, she just bloated or she pregnant. No, you can't ask that question.
Speaker 5: That ring on a string.
Speaker 2: No, I haven't done any of those things. Yeah, we do it off, we can do it. We can do it. Absolutely. I'm all about it. Because we're not finding out the gender. It's going to be a surprise. But yeah, I'm all about those wives tales because I feel like I just play into it so much. Does it mean anything?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: My ov was like no, Victoria, like that means nothing. I was like, yeah, but I'm carrying really high. It's probably a girl. And she's like that that is not actually accurate, and I was like, cool, let me have it. So that's that's the fun news of the week of the month. I suppose the last four and a half months. I suppose you could say it is that's very exciting. But yes, I'm sure that broke. Our video producer is probably going to put together a really awful video of me and all of the cuts in between episodes of me just gagging.
Speaker 5: So can't wait for that content me sympathy gagging a gag and then you'd be like ooh, and then I producer gags and everyone a very sexy trip.
Speaker 2: But this episode is not about me. It is actually about our community. So, miss Jessic GRICI, what are your favorite money wins from our community this week?
Speaker 4: My first money when this week comes from Hannah, who said money win. I had an abundance of clothes. I've tried selling on Marketplace and everywhere else imaginable until I came across a market in my state that specializes in plus sized clothing, so I thought, why not give it a go. My goal was not to bring one single item of clothing home. My goal was almost achieved. I came home with seven items when I left with about two hundred. I'm very proud of myself, and I made a huge profit going towards my house deposit, and.
Speaker 2: We got clean.
Speaker 4: Very fun and I know what we always get a lot of people asking about reselling specifically for the plus size market is called double It's in Adelaide and I love the idea that that exists, and I'm so cool. Anyone knows of one's in other states?
Speaker 2: Definitely not a snow Facebook group. Yeah, that's weird. I love it.
Speaker 4: Next, I've got another shopping money in from Simone who said I went to the opshop and I bought a seven dollar biochemistry book, which was more than what I wanted to pay. But then I saw it on Amazon for five hundred bucks. Safe to say, happy with seven dollars.
Speaker 2: Now, I've never been to an op shop in search of a biochemistry book back, can you? I cannot light reading. Just don't like reading one five hundred dollars book.
Speaker 5: All for seven dollars.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Universities maybe just god I didn't go. I wouldn't know. Relate Honestly, I swear my book list every semester would cost about one thousand dollars. Fine, one out of ten, and then they make you buy the new volume every year. Yeah, oh that one's outdated. My math's it's not going to change. No, No, I don't like it. I don't like it. I don't care if I have to flip a few more pages. I'm using the old edition. So I've always been like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely good for money win like that a lot. Next, I've got one from Lily who said money win. I finally reviewed and updated my extras only health insurance and I've saved myself forty a month.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that's a big money love. Next, I've got one from Stephanie who said she scored free leggings at the lskd opening. Oh my gosh, yes, how excited.
Speaker 4: Very fun. And then she got some thermals on super clearance at Target for her Europe trip as well.
Speaker 2: Money win.
Speaker 4: Next, I've got a money in from Maren, who said I've wanted Nike high tops for work shoes for about twelve months. I tried them on and loved them, thought about it, and then remembered I had more than enough in shopback.
Speaker 2: Rewards or yes, how good is that really purchasing the ones the money is transferred instead of buying them tonight.
Speaker 5: Oh that is so good.
Speaker 2: What a genius, very clever. That's literally a money win, Like that's money that you wouldn't have had otherwise. It's free. It's really free money free, free, free Nike high tops. So I was about to say airtops, I don't know what I'm talking about. She gets it. I'm a cool kid. She's so cool.
Speaker 4: Lastly, I've got money one from Tara, who just said a little fyi, if you order a water from maccas, you still get the Monopoly ticket.
Speaker 2: Very clever Donald's. If you're listening, no you're not.
Speaker 3: I have two hundred free waters.
Speaker 5: I'm very thirsty.
Speaker 2: It's Monopoly back on macas.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: Love is the clean of macas Monopoly so fine. I tried to win the barbecue lat year didn't go well.
Speaker 5: Oh I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Here, We're back on it. We're back on it. What are we manifesting this year? Have you looked at the prize list? You know what I have and I've just collecting ticket. Next next week on the show, we're going to be updating you on something very exciting and it will be Jess gives McDonald's monopoly, which list yes for everyone? Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: Your win is everyone's wim.
Speaker 2: I think so too. It was like the time she got the free kitchen aid mixer from all of her flybys points. Everybody went nuts over that. So can you imagine if she won stuff from Monopoly? I know alright, speaking of being in it to win it, miss Beck, What have you got when it comes to broke tips this week?
Speaker 5: Okay, So I've got a couple of good ones. Very Willwards related, I'm noticing.
Speaker 2: But just sponsored and like, have they slid into your dms? Not yet, Actually I don't know.
Speaker 5: I find kind of weird.
Speaker 2: But let them know they can.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they absolutely can.
Speaker 2: Free fruit for kids and for Beck Healy.
Speaker 5: I'm still a kid at Okay. So the first one is from Caitlin who said, I'm currently listening to an episode of your podcast and you guys had a lady that had written in about Woolwards half price specials. But let's go one better. I too work at Wooli's and know that a lot of the wools brands are actually still cheaper than the half priced specials. You have to go by unit price to realize this, which is very clever.
Speaker 2: Sninky sninky lady. Yes, I can't believe I forgot to me name, so Woolies don't go for it, I know. Actually, yeah, there's probably a lot of Caitlin's, so good luck. Yeah, exactly is ok? What if we made up that is a fake name?
Speaker 5: Exactly?
Speaker 2: You don't know if we're ahead of the game, which we were not no.
Speaker 5: But also you know, even when you're going to like buy toilet paper or something like, something looks cheap or it's on special, it looks like fancy. But if you go down and see how many cents per role, yeah, you end up That's important.
Speaker 2: It's very important.
Speaker 5: You don't realize it at the time because you're like, oh, this one's on special, but it's still more expensive. So always look at the unit price. You will get more bang for your buck that way. And it's always on the tag. You don't have to do the mask like they have to show it on the little price tag exactly exactly. So do that because sometimes it can be very deceptive.
Speaker 2: Not gonna lie. When I'm looking at toilet paper, I'm looking at how many ply it is, not how much it is per role, because have you ever picked up one ply toilet paper by accident?
Speaker 5: Sand Great, it's controversial. I prefer one ply, you.
Speaker 2: Would use more of it, that's true.
Speaker 5: But something about three plat I feel.
Speaker 2: Like like you can't justify it.
Speaker 5: I can't know it's too soft. It's just like so, well, that's what we need. Too slippery.
Speaker 4: You know, you're broke tip from a couple of weeks ago that someone sent in saying, squeeze the role. So I don't squeeze the role because I don't like the aesthetic of it. However, but it made me think about the fact that I've never consciously considered.
Speaker 2: How I pull it.
Speaker 4: And it's true, like you just pull it and when it stopped rolling, your stop and I've started paying attention and I could use like five percent of what I normally use.
Speaker 2: So like for you.
Speaker 5: Broke in, jessicaod and in the long way, you do end up saving more money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you don't let it go, like pay attention, pay attention, be mindful, put down your phone. No, it's impossible.
Speaker 2: Are you a scruncher or a folder? Though? Like, what's the most economical use of paper?
Speaker 1: Um?
Speaker 2: I fold? Yeah, of course you. But but it's like it's going to scrunch to it. Yeah, you gotta scrunch to the fold. All right, let's move on before this goes somewhere. Else have you got for us?
Speaker 5: Okay? So the next broke tip is from Eleanor, who says, I have been using Willers rewards for a while now, and I have noticed they now do boosted points when you purchase particular items. So if you go on their website, you can see that maybe for one week they're doing like a thousand points per banana. But this is relevant because either you'll get like that's definitely that's definitely a bad example.
Speaker 2: I love it, I wish, but also you know what will sound like they're doing a good I was gonna be like, after we should reach out to Elise because like I can see us working together. Not now that you're like going, oh, they'll give you a thousand points the banana, They're gonna go No, you guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm so sorry to everyone listening. They're probably not going to do that, but you never know. That was a really bad example. So basically, the more points you get, you eventually get ten dollars off per shop. And if you just if you go to all Words and you actually need these items, just check if the boosted that week.
Speaker 2: And fly By she did mention Flybys.
Speaker 5: Actually what did she say here? Once you get two thousand points, you can get ten dolls free off your next shop, or you can transfer to quantous Points. Sorry I thought I said Flybys, I didn't Quantaus points. So that's kind of irrelevant for me. I'm not I'm not much of a flyer, but if you are, that's.
Speaker 2: Kind of cool. Save some cash on your holiday, exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're definitely a Flybys household in this office.
Speaker 5: It's getting tense.
Speaker 4: It's not no, it's not we fly Virgin, but we like Flybys. I feel like it all plugs in. You gotta have I feel like you have to have an ecosystem.
Speaker 2: But it's definitely a point in ecosystem. Yeah. Yeah, aside stain Lane, speaking of Virgin, speaking a Virgin, Jess and I earlier this week flew to Sydney for the Chaersa's second birthday party, and oh we got upgraded to business.
Speaker 5: That's a money win.
Speaker 2: That is very cool, a huge money I'm an excited.
Speaker 5: I want all the goths when we're I mean, we can do it now if you want.
Speaker 2: So, we're going to get lunch on the plane and everything.
Speaker 5: That is so excited.
Speaker 3: I hadn't eat a lunch that day.
Speaker 5: That is very very cool.
Speaker 2: In full transparency, this is a pre recorded episode Jess is finding out right now, Jess is flying business in approximately one point five hours and she just found out is that she was like, it was so fancy. I was like, you don't have to, but really, you really got me a really busy week this week, so we are recording Friday drinks on a Tuesday.
Speaker 5: Sorry everyone, we've deceived you, but we are still drunk.
Speaker 2: Jessis not the rest of the table, maybe you, but thank you for coming prepared. But that's why Jess was so excited. And to be honest, I'm really impressed because usually she can't lie to save her life. To bring it up, and I think that's why you scroll back.
Speaker 4: If anyone saw that clip, I feel like my face you can probably.
Speaker 5: Yeah, confused because telling me something else.
Speaker 2: The voice said, heck you o. I'm so excited, and the voice said.
Speaker 5: I had didn't eaten that day.
Speaker 2: Such fab wire. All right, all right, let's move on. Jess is broke tip is fly with Victoria and she will bid for an upgrade for you.
Speaker 5: That is a good brow tip. Actually my personal break tip for this week. Yeah, I want to know that is relevant to this. It's not so much broke broke. And I do apologize for those listening that might not be able to relate to this, but let's say you are traveling and you only have a set amount of budget. My best friend's sister was telling about how she had X amount to spend, but every resort or accommodation they were a little bit more pricey. Yeah, she wanted to say somewhere nice, so she called up a couple places and emailed a couple of places and said, this is my budget, what are you going to do for me? And I think at least two places came back and said we can, we can do that.
Speaker 2: Really, it's so cool.
Speaker 5: That I don't even thought no, I feel like no worries. If not, i'd be too scared to like what do you lose?
Speaker 2: Like if you have a if you have a queen move.
Speaker 5: I know, like, what are they going to do to say no, what's who cares?
Speaker 2: Exactly? Who cares?
Speaker 4: Yes, because they don't have many if they have heaps of empty rooms, they probably some money.
Speaker 5: Yeah, money, Yes, I think I think this was like a little bit. It wasn't super last minute, but it was a little bit more last minute. So that's okay, best time to like reach out and be like quite cool, may as well have someone in there for a little bit of money.
Speaker 2: Great tip. I feel like that is a brilliant tip. It actually leans into my favorite quote of the week, which has been really helping me actually, and the quote is it's not that deep. Oh yeah, I like email them. It's not that deep deep I think such a big deal. Yeah, exactly, that's not a big deal. Like email them, go get it, queen. I love that. Here I am being like, oh, my money saving tip is don't for buffet breakfast. Baoh breakfast, So poor Jessica. Whenever we stay anywhere, I'm like, I'm not paying for that. We are going to be buying cereals and fact, if buffet breakfast is included, you best believe there's a TopWare container in my bag so I can steal pastries for morning tea and lunch. It's just who I amas follow for more travel saving tips. Let's go to a really quick break and on the flip side, we're going to be talking about buying a house with your partner and how to have a conversation about splitting the bill at dinner. Don't go anywhere, guys, Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a listen to the money dilemma. Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve. The Sheese on the Money Team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: Hey, teams, So, my partner and I are looking to buy our first home together. My partner's already on a mortgage with his family and he doesn't make any of payments, but it does mean the banks still see him as liable, so it's impacted our borrowing power and first home buyer benefits. His parents have generously offered us one hundred thousand dollars to contribute towards our deposit, and at first I felt guilty about taking money from them, but as their decisions have impacted our borrowing power, I kind of feel like a balance is out. But there's also been talk of a financial agreement about who owns how much of our house, and I feel quite uncomfortable about the whole thing because it's very generous of them, but I also feel like it's now my partner and his family buying a house, and I'm just tacked onto the ride.
Speaker 2: It's making me feel like I don't want to buy anymore.
Speaker 6: I'll be talking about it with my partner, of course, but I wondered if the community had any thoughts.
Speaker 2: Thanks, this did not go the way I thought it would. No kind of a couldurn to be in there, didn't I? Yeah, but I can see where it's just coming from. Of course, I totally understand that feeling. Let's start this side of the table, good idea, better to start with the expert. Actually, yeah, you just go hard to go home.
Speaker 5: Guys, So what when it comes to buying power? This is what I suggest. Just take care of yourself everyone around you, and that's it for me.
Speaker 2: I think I think Bec's tip might be, if this is not too rude, understand what buying power is.
Speaker 5: Ah, that's a very very good piece.
Speaker 2: We can talk about it after. Sure, we can talk about it after. But I think it's interesting because that is a very generous gift and it obviously gets you ahead. But at the same time, I feel like I don't know if saying this is mean, but I feel like you're taking it the wrong way, like it totally gets you ahead. I totally understand there being a financial agreement. In fact, if you forget the fact that your partner already has a mortgage with his family and the fact that it's being gifted, Like, for a hot second, pretend that your partner has one hundred thousand dollars deposit. If I was going in and buying a house with Jess and she had a hund and I didn't, I would actually expect there to be a financial agreement that says, hey, if we go and sell this house, or Jess and I break up for some reason, Jess gets her hundred grand back, because that doesn't instantly become my money. So maybe a little bit of a mindset shift around that and going, well, actually that makes sense because if Jess brings one hundred grand to the table and I get to invest and you know, acquire an asset that can appreciate in value, I'm still in a good position here. You know, you're not tacked along for the ride, Like Jess wouldn't be giving me one hundred grand to you know, do that if she didn't expect this relationship to last. So I would assume that the same thing is happening with his family, Like, there's no way, let's be honest, there's no way I would give my kid one hundred grand by house with a duofist that I don't like. Yeah, honestly, I wouldn't be like, I'd just be like absolutely not, like that's going nowhere. Like they probably see a lot in the relationship. What do you reckon, Jess, I.
Speaker 4: Mean if the shoe was on the other foot, and I think I've spoken about this before, like if I buy a house and my partner lives with me, like I would be putting in an agreement if I'm already sat just down back and ben like, all right, what are we doing about this binding financial agreement?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Like, I just think if if the roles were reversed in the partner message and say, hey, my parents want to give us this money, but I'm not sure, like should I put an agreement in place? Like my advice would be absolutely, Like I I completely understand why they want to do that, and I can see how from our listener's perspective, she goes, oh, well, I feel like maybe I'm just you know, tacked on, or I feel valid yeah, I understand those feelings, but you have to think about I guess from their end is that they're trying to make sure that everyone's best interests are protected and that everyone's contributions are recognized equitably. So I think that you could like you're absolutely still part of this journey. You're going to be on the title, you're going to I assume, be contributing to the mortgage or payments and creating the home and doing all of those fun things. But from my perspective, I guess that agreement is about making sure that everyone is looked after. Should something go wrong touch with that, of course it wouldn't, But should anything go wrong, you've got a really clear delineation between what everybody's contribute it, and I guess if you are feeling like you're not as involved, maybe talking to your partner about the fact that you're feeling a little bit left out and making sure that you're super involved in the process of touring the houses, or you know, you and your partner are sitting down and putting your wish list together and that's something that's for you and your partner should do together. The parents are really just trying to kind of help you along the way. I don't think they're trying to jump into bed between you, you know, but.
Speaker 2: I mean it might be nice that's your first if that's what you're into, that's what you're into, no judgment if there's consent. But I think the conversation for me actually, like if she's not feeling a part of it, I think it might be a bit of a bigger problem. Right, you said, are you touring the houses? Are his parents now just getting involved and sending him the properties and being like, we think you should buy this one, And it's like not your narrative anymore? Like do you feel cut out because of that? Like is it just the financial side of things? Because if it is just the financial side of things and they've gone, hey, son, here's one hundred grand, we want to do X, Y and Z for you, and he goes, great, Jessic, let's buy our first home together, Like, I think that needs some working through. And I do think it's so valid regardless of where it's coming from. Someone asking for a financial agreement when you know there's big sums of money being thrown around, like that is very fair. But I can see if that on top of already feeling out of the loop on top of you know, maybe not being in the family group chat of the properties that are being sent back and forth. You know, I can imagine that being quite hard, you know. You imagine if I was buying a house with Steve and his parents were texting him links to go and see on the weekend, and then he comes home and says, Oh, I'm going to go to this inspection with my dad. I'd be like, of what, Like, Yeah, I don't feel involved in this, and this is my purchase too, because even though they're coughing up the cash, the responsibility is sitting on your shoulders to pay that mortgage. This is your acquisition, not just his. So I would yeah, obviously you say'd have a chat with your partner, but I think have her sit down and think about where you're at first, and like, why do you feel this way? What is triggering you to feel like this? Because importantly we need to work through this before you actually get into bed, you could say in a financial way, because that could just harm the relationship and we don't want that, especially if you're in a happy place where you're talking about buying property together. Decide fighting exactly. We're talking about couples this week, aren't we? We are talking a lot about girls this week, Jess. In fact, one of our dms this week that we took to the community was about splitting the bill at dinner. Do you want to hear what it had to say? All right? So this week the DM we received sounded a lot like this because I'm reading it verbatim. Hey, she's on the money squad. Would love some advice. Every time I go out for dinner or drinks with my friends, the group always tends to split the bill evenly at the end of the night, which I am not a big fan of. I'm trying super hard to save at the moment, so I'll often order a cheaper meal on the menu. I'm also not a big drinker, so I always order less drinks than my friends. I'm finding that I'm always spending more when we split the bill evenly versus if I just paid for what I had. I don't want my friends to think that I'm being stingy, and I am a super anti confrontational kind of person, so I always just cut along with it. Do you have any advice on how I could prevent this from happening again. Thank you so much. I feel like it's a super common problem. I feel like we're having this conversation the other day. When are we having this conversation? Wasn't Why does it feel so familiar.
Speaker 5: All the time? Our producers all the.
Speaker 2: Time, and we just talk about snacks and drinks and splitting bills all the time. Favorite us too. Yeah, Beck, I know you're not a big drinker. How do you approach this if you're going out for dinner and drinks with friends and you're like, well, I don't drink wine. Cool.
Speaker 5: Luckily, with my close friend group, it's always it's just I don't have to even mention it, Like we all know I don't drink, so I'm not going to be We all just kind of like pay what we order. Someone pays everything, they get the receipt, and we just pay what we order. Blah blah blah. But people I'm not super super comfortable with. I always try and make it as like less conflict as possible. I don't, I don't. I know that doesn't really make sense, but as.
Speaker 2: Least, no, no, no, that's what we want to hear. Like she just said she's an oncommon friend exactly is the advice exactly. So what I do is I try and make it as joky as possible. So as soon as we sit down and be like, I don't want to be that guy.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'll always like self deprecation goes a long way when you're trying to be joking. So I'll be like, I don't want to be that guy, but I'm really broke. So what I'm going to do is not order that much and then I'll just pay whatever if that's okay with everyone, And literally all the time people like, yeah, yeah, if you imagine exactly, it's way more possible outcome.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, beck, are you okay? That's what we want to hear. Would be nice.
Speaker 5: It wouldn't turn that down, no, but it's always way more awkward at the end of your meal or your whatever you're having cocktails or whatever you're doing, if.
Speaker 2: They've expected that it will be seat and they've gone ordered another thing. Because I think people do that, I feel like they're like, oh, it's finely splitting it. I will have another cocktail.
Speaker 5: Rude exactly not. So I would say get that conversation out of the way as early as possible, even while you're making plans, if you want to be like, hey, yeah, let's go here, just so you guys know, I'm kind of broke, so I'm not gonna order that much. Let's just sort out the bill layer blah blah blah. Yeah, but get get that conversation out of the way as early as possible. You feel like you're good at having those conversations though, thank you, thank you so much, as jokey, as self deprecating as possible, so that it's not like.
Speaker 4: You know, conflicting or all the world. You know, not that you should have to do that. You should have to minimize yourself.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not, but just if your feeling it doesn't work in our social circle. Whenever there self deprecates, I'm like, can you not that's true? You guys, I'm always like, are you done? Because that's not okay? And then you go, oh damn. I think and I've said this before on the podcast, like we could be really clear and go yeah, cool, well, Jessica, you should walk in and just tell your friends that they need to respect you. No one's gonna do that, Like I want a non I'm not a confrontational person, Like I don't want to walk in and be a agressive about something even though you're right, like I do deserve that, and there are some people that that works really well for. But I think it's these softer ways of approaching things, even if it means, you know, being a little bit self deprecating, if you're like, that's the thing that makes me feel confident enough to ask for what I need. Like, I think that we should give that a little bit of credit to sometimes even though I'm like, you shouldn't do that totally if it makes like if it makes you comfy, like sometimes we just do things that make ourselves a little bit more comfy totally, Jess, what would you do? How do you do it at dinner?
Speaker 4: I mean I think we don't even have to do it because I hang out with effectively two groups of friends. You guys are my other grad friends.
Speaker 2: Like we've just kind of like got our team and mean like we're our friends now yeah now kiss one.
Speaker 4: But I think the interesting thing is is once you establish a precedent, once you have that conversation once, I don't think you ever have to have it in because when I reflect on how we do it in our friend group, if we go out to dinner. A lot of the time we will kind of split it evenly unless there is someone like we have one friend who's currently doing the fodmap thing and so he's having real specific food, he's not drinking alcohol.
Speaker 2: Like it's very, very particular.
Speaker 4: And so when we all went out to dinner that like that long ago, we said, okay, cool, so like the six of us, we're all going to share plates. Everyone's gonna you know, bits pc we all good to split it. Yeah cool, you sean you to your own, and we just took it off the top. And once we've done that once, that's just how it always is, yea, and you set the precedent. Yeah, Or if someone's pregnant and they're not drinking, because that exactly right, then you kind of I think you just automatically consider that because you've done it before. So I think once you've had that conversation that Beck was saying once or twice and you've made that point, it kind of theoretically just becomes a second nature. Like you just have to establish the parameters like hey, do we all pay for ourselves always? Or hey, do one or two people consume less? And therefore should we just make sure that we're always knocking theirs off the top first and the's splitting. So it's I think once you get over that hump, it probably also gets a lot easier.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think for this particular question, they say every time I go out, we just split it evenly, Like, how do we change that? You got togae something to change something? Yeah, exactly, you've just got to put your head out, and you know what, I reckon that you're not the only person thinking.
Speaker 5: That I was gonna see.
Speaker 2: You can't be the only one at the table if that's the case, in which case I'd just get on the front foot, not like front foot like you beck where you're saying it upfront. I would be like, oh, let's get the bill and I can work out what everybody owes and like kind of take control of the conversation and be like, oh my gosh, it would be so unfair because Jess only had one cocktail, and kind of just try and put it in a position where you're the one asking for the bill, like, oh, hey, let's grab the bill so we can all work out what we owe and then if somebody says, oh, we'll just split it evenly, go, oh, that's not the fairest way, though, because like, what are they going to do argue with you when you say that's not the fairest way, Whereas it's from my perspective a lot harder. Once they're like, oh, we'll just split it evenly, and everyone's like nodding, and you're like, I don't want to be like, don't want to be that guy. I don't want to be that guy. Don't want to be that guy. But I think if you put yourself in they're like control seat of like, oh, let's work out what we all are. I'll get my calculator up out, like you can be the instigator in a way, sure of that, and then you know what, other people are going to go, oh great, I don't have to do the maths of it, because there are going to be people sitting at that table who are in the financially comfortable position where they're like, doesn't worry me if we split it evenly, doesn't worry me if we do it you know individually, I can't be bothered working it out. Someone just tell me what I owe. Yeah, And like I have been guilty of that, Like I have definitely been guilty where you know, I'll be like, that's fine, Like I'll pay whatever you want, like after two wines, Like I'm not that interested in whipping out my calculator up and working it out, so I'll just be like, yep, you guys tell me what we're doing, and that's fine, and that's not the best way to be, but you know, it's all own up to our our failures, but that's okay. Did anyone else have suggestions on how you can handle us? So many suggestions. Before we get to suggestions, though, we did ask a few questions. We said, how does your friend group split the bill on a night out? Twenty nine percent of you said you split evenly, and eventy one percent of you said you just pay for what you ordered individually. So that's good. Yeah, but we're all savvy finance queens, so I don't reckon that's the norm. I reckon that's just the shees on the money community. So I've got tickets on them being good.
Speaker 3: Agreed.
Speaker 2: We said, if you split it evenly, are you happy to do this? Thirty nine percent of you said yep, it's actually just the easiest way. Sixty one percent of you said not not really, but I just go along with it. Yeah, I relatable. We said, do you think you would spend less money if you paid for only what you ordered? Sixty seven percent of you said, yeah, oh is bad.
Speaker 5: That is bad. So there's always someone just going a dugon drinks.
Speaker 2: There's always one. I'm thinking, there's always one. There's always one. It'd be so boring going out for dinner nowadays with us. You don't drink. I can't drink. Jess is a one and done kind of girly. Oh yehud'd be fine. Cheat you get silly, Yeah, like we get. You've heard us on the podcast. None of us really drink, and that's how silly we are, exactly, like that's how do you know what actually? Complete side notes. I was pregnant at my my Barbie Themes birthday and the amount of people that you know, after my birthday, I was announcing that I was pregnant, you know, told my friends They're like, you were drinking at your birthday. I was like no, Badbell was high on life, like I did not have one drink. I in fact, had mocktails all night. I was just vibing and they're like, oh okay, I'm like on it the bar stuff worrying on it. It was pancastersy wow, I was had some fake champagne going so I could hold it in photos and everybody knew true. I just wasn't ready to share it. Okay, Yeah, that's okay, all right. So back to the question. This is what the community had to say. Lots of responses on this one. So someone said, try and choose places where you pay when you order or are still using a QR code system.
Speaker 4: You are coded savior. It gets rid of the awkward thing like everyone, just whip out your phone.
Speaker 2: Right, we're going to fonder literally done. I reckon I could how to deal with Jess where if I said every time we go out for dinner or lunch in the future, it'll always be it fun, she'd agree to it. Yeah, not because of QR code. She just really likes that she can read over. Someone else said, it's really related to age and live stage. As we've gotten older and have higher disposable income, the less issue we have with splitting. Yeah, like you said, I'm actually finding that to be very true. It's interesting now that I'm in my thirties guys, and you know it's no longer us just going out for like UNI lunches or you know, dinner with friends at reasonable places. Like I have expensive taste and sometimes I really want to go out for like, you know, my husband's birthday and to spend a really nice amount on dinner. We do definitely budget in in like he does not get any uber eats that week. But I find the more expensive the restaurant, the more likely I am to with another couple just split it me at because you end up like ordering a bottle of wine together, and the meals are all kind of comparable, and it just becomes a bit of an issue. I would say to kind of go, all right, well did you have this? And I had that? And like, yeah, I think the more expensive the restaurant, the less likely you are to split it item by item. Sure, because if you're concerned about saving you're probably not not going to Mithilda onto Main Road. Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, it's true. But it's interesting because that's when you probably should be a little bit more cautious because of lifestyle creep and things getting away from you. And yeah, I just totally reflecting. That's interesting. Someone said I have in the past just handed over cash towards the bill and said, hey, this amount covers my meal. I feel like that's a smart way to do it. Pretty good. I feel like it's a good way, but it might make you a bit like, I don't know, well, what if you have the right hash, you might have to like go and research the meals beforehand, like if everybody else was expecting to split it and then it does it. I don't know. I feel like that's a good one because it's definitely putting it in control. But I think, yeah, that might be a little bit harder because I'd hate for them to turn around and be like, oh, Beck, like we're splitting it evenly, it's an extra ten bucks, and you go, well, I don't have it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, true.
Speaker 2: I just don't want an awkward situation to arise next. Someone said, just check with the waiter if you can pay separately before they order. It often helps to manage expectations. That's a good idea.
Speaker 5: It's very good.
Speaker 2: That's very good. Someone else said, sometimes I say, at the start of the meal, I'm going to splurge and order X y Z tonight, So let's check with the waiter and see if they can split the bill. Yeah, that's a good idea. I like that. It's like your yeah, okay, Beck is going to be more positive this year. I can feel it in my bones.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can feel it too, right.
Speaker 2: Someone said it's especially unfair for those who don't drink. It reminds me of that Friends episode if you know, you know, never watched. I definitely know what she's talking about.
Speaker 5: It's a Seinfeld girly I oh.
Speaker 2: No, one said that. Someone said, you know what, you should be able to talk to your friends in an open conversation about money.
Speaker 5: True, ideally friends friends, That's true exactly.
Speaker 2: Someone said, it really depends if you shared meals or not.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 5: Yes, if you're at one of those.
Speaker 2: Tapasy kind of restaurants we like. Do what Jess was saying before, We have little bits of everything, do you Yeah? My favorite way.
Speaker 5: I know everyone loves them, but I just like, if i'd like the taste of something, I want a whole plate of it.
Speaker 2: Be fussy, fussy, You're not really, I don't think so.
Speaker 5: Also, I just don't like the idea that like, if there's a shrimp or I don't I call it a shrimp a prawn that I like in like a plate of maybe you get five prawns, for example, you're eating with five people. If you like the taste of it so much, that's it. You're done after the one. I don't like it. I don't like it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this is where jess and I really like dning it Chinchin. What do we do with the entrees that we like the most? Yess we just order like double of them.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's not a bad idea.
Speaker 2: Actually it was so nice we bought it twice. But there's yeah, there's one no tree a Chinchin where I'm not like we can share everything, Jessica, but you will be getting your own one if these do not touch mine.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, yes, yes, that's exactly right.
Speaker 2: Don't touch it. It's not happening. No. Not good at sharing though, so yes, exactly. A lot of the other I won't go too far into them because honestly, there were hundreds of responses, but lots of the conversation was really about please communicate with your friends about setting expectations. In fact, something might come up where they suggest you don't even go out at all and you all save money by having a few more dinner parties at home, which I think is brilliant and quite smart, and to be honest, very she's on the money. I feel like at this point in this economy, Jessica Rici, Yeah, in this economy, we can't actually afford to be always dining out and just having open on conversations. They're gonna make everybody at the table feel so much more confident, so much more comfortable. Like, oh, I went to one of make girlfriends the other day. She's recently had a baby, and I made sandwiches before I went like, sandwiches yep, love that had some lemonade on her balcony. Yeah, so fun. But like, I think we need to remember why you're catching up with these people in the first place. I promise it's not because you are worried about splitting a prawn.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm worried.
Speaker 2: Next time we're out for dinner, let beck have the X. You can have all the pro Thank you so much. Thank you. All right, Well, I think that is unfortunately all we have time for this week. As always, we wish you the best weekend and we cannot wait to see you on Monday for our money diary. Bright and early, bye guys. Bye. The advice shared on cheese on the Money is generally in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money Sherpa pty Ltd a BN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine