Speaker 1: Hey, legends, Welcome back to the Mason Cock Show. Now plenty happening this week in Sport. We've got the rock rules. I'm gonna explain what the heck they are because I think it's a bit of confusion around that. Richmond's got a bit of injury trouble at the moment. There's celebrations all over Sport a bit too early, maybe a bit too much. And what happened in Brisbane over the weekend. It's all covered starting now, all right, without further ado, we will get into it.
Speaker 2: Welcome Brandon.
Speaker 3: I'm fresh this morning. We got a morning record. We don't normally do morning records, but I'm up and about if my voice is a bit Raspberry Queen was on the radio on the drive in, so I was belting that one out. Now let's jump straight into our clanger of the week.
Speaker 2: Yes, one of the favorite segments.
Speaker 3: Now Warren tread ray mate export captain. You think he would be all for Port supporting them get around him, But no, it came out during the weeks Ken Hinckley, surely in an untenable position as coach of the Port Adelaide Football Club. Well, Kenny just shoved it right up him because he came out and got the win. It doesn't matter that it was right on the death. He got the win against Sydney in Sydney, that's a massive win. And Kenny's always just fighting for his life, Like I feel so rough for him. And it's never normally people are coming for your head outside of the club, but Kenny's just batting them off left, right and center inside the club, inside the four walls. Export this export, that president and this president that get off his back. Bloke's just trying to coach your team. That's my claim.
Speaker 2: I'm a big fan of Ken.
Speaker 1: Now Ken he seems to just always fight back whenever people kind of try to put him down. He's the face of the port Allelloided Football Club. He's been there for years. He's he's helped that team reach very much a successful era. I guess some why they haven't won the premiership obviously, but I think they've been a team that's always looked at the calendar as someone you're not going to take lightly, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I always feel it's weird, like externals are like, come on, Kenny, you can do it, and internals are like come on, you gotta win the flag otherwise get out of here. It's so bizarre, but normally it's the other way around. But what's your clanger of the week.
Speaker 1: I've got I've actually got a little voice recording, Brandon little voice recording from the weekend. So to pre empt this, right, I was up in Brisbane at the game and the a f L for some reason doesn't separate players and fans, like if you go sit in the in the stance, yeah, I'm general admission at this point, right, So you go in there, you sit there, anyone will sit next to you, right, And there's a few seats empty next to me, and I can almost guarantee you this guy did not did not have tickets to that seat just side to measle on down there sitting next to me and just chew my ear off for about three quarters of this game. He left in the fourth quarter. So but here's exactly what I had to deal with for three quarters. Now, hang in there, because there's a little bit of a little.
Speaker 4: Bit of a recording, Philly, you would have the.
Speaker 3: Ship.
Speaker 1: Now that was literally a very small snippet of a long time of hearing that in my ear, and it wasn't just me, it was everyone around me too. And this man, oh my gosh, would not He was after the umpires, absolutely after it. He had smoked I think three packs of cigarettes during the game. It was just he almost spilt a beer on me at one point because he was like just upset at some calling umpire had. It was a rough three quarters, not only for the full college football club, but also me in the stands having to watch.
Speaker 3: I would have loved to have seen you just matched the energy, just what the hell umpire that has got him around the neck can get along up the guts.
Speaker 2: Top the guts.
Speaker 1: I don't think I'll ever be that kind of supporter, but that man, I've had that many tattoos, that much missing teeth, and plenty of beers. He drained through the whole game, and he probably enjoyed it. He probably had a great time. Everyone around him did not have such a great time with him there.
Speaker 3: I'll say that it doesn't sound like he knew much, like he knows the basics about what he's angry at. But like Billy Frampton, what's he doing in the ruck?
Speaker 1: This guy's standing next to you actually is injured also, and that's why he's in the rock like.
Speaker 3: That's the guy, he's the rockman. He's sitting in the stands.
Speaker 1: Well. Speaking of ruckman, we'll go to the next one. We had the Geelong Hawthorne game of the weekend and there was some controversy that came out of this one.
Speaker 3: This was big and I want to get your comments on it, because you are a ruckman, but not only that, I've seen you do this exact thing so many times. So obviously Chris Scott comes out defends his man because this has happened twice to Geelong ruckman's but this time it was Blitzers going up to contest the ruck and gets need in I guess like the stomach the rib area, and goes down injured and he gets a free kick and they pay advantage and they go on. Anyway, Chriscott gets asked to address it at the end of the game and he says, just stop doing it. You're not allowed to do it. It shouldn't be part of the game. Just stop doing it. What are your thoughts on there?
Speaker 1: I respect Chris, I respect his opinion, but that nothing comes good after that. I think that's good. If you're in the center bounce, you get a knee to the rim and you still get your hands to the ball play on. That's the way I've always been told a lot of times as ruckman. It's almost what can I get away with more than rather oh I'm gonna, you know, do this and get the ball. It's like, okay, well, find maybe just get a little bit earlier contact, right. So a lot of times you see a ball thrown in and before the ball even actually leaves the umpire's hand from the boundary, that ruckman already contact in contact, engaging within two meters. So there's a lot of just okay, well, I'm gonna I'm gonna put the pressure on you umpire to essentially make a call here, and if you don't, I'm going to keep doing this the rest of the game. And a lot of a lot of umpires just let it go. Like I couldn't tell you last time I heard early contact from an umpire.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever heard about my career.
Speaker 1: But there's things like even in center bounces where ruckman step outside of the center circle before they go. Almost every single ruckman does it, but I've never seen a free kick from it, and there's little things like that. The umpires just like oh, because they want the game to play on. That's the way the AFL rules. But this whole knee into someone like you have to be able to find a way around it, right, So if you look at the vision, Mark actually just tries to look at him.
Speaker 2: He doesn't even look at the ball. He doesn't even look at the ball.
Speaker 1: He looks at the Hawthorn player and tries to go body him, and the Hawthorne player, probably thinking he's going to go and jump into him, puts his knee up, probably to protect him, but also try to match his energy coming towards him to offset it. And Mark's just coughed one in the ribs. He didn't put his knee up to protect himself. Mark's not a he's not a rockman. I love the guy, but he's not a ruckman. He's not tol with you, rockman. He's a great player, don't get me wrong, but I'll remember I played him. He asked me if he asked the umpire in the center bounce in the middle of a game, if you could go inside the circle inside the center circle, Yeah, asked for ruling in a game before center bouts about halfway through the game. So I don't get me wrong, big fan of Mark big slives, hey, big fan the forty six over there a too long. But I think with Ree Stanley out there's same thing as us. We're trying to fill a role. And unfortunately, sometimes if you're nine hundred scent sure where you can get away with and what you can in the ck can't in the rock, You're gonna be opened up for an injury, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I feel like, yeah, there's a few things around that as well, like if both if Mark was looking up like going to the cups and knee like, maybe that's something different. But what when you are in the ruck, what's what's your order that you go in? So you look at the player first, then the ball, you go the ball first, always over the player.
Speaker 2: It depends on who you're playing.
Speaker 1: So if Mark's coming across early like that, like I'm probably realizing that he's trying to take my space. So either I'm going to make him learn a lesson by sticking knee into him, He's gonna essentially be blocking me from being able to get to the ball, and I look like I'm jumping or you try to essentially swim move him, try to get around him, get to the ball draft because Mark's not looking at where the ball's falling. Mark's looking straight at the player and he's trying to engage with them early and then he'll go find the ball after. And to me, that should be a free kick or we allow that because he's sitting there not worried about the actual contest. He's trying to engage with the player and then go find the ball later. Now, people like Toby nan Curvis has been doing that for years, like he comes across hard with a knee, and a lot of other players do also. I think Toby's the best at it, to be honest, but a lot of players do it. No one's ever really had a problem with it until now because there's a person who's not a true rockman probably in that situation, who's a leader of their team they need in the team at the moment, and he's afraid that he gets injured. They're going to lose someone that's valuable in their lineup.
Speaker 3: And there's a coach shedding light on it. Do you think it should have been a free kick in that instance? To Blitzers, because he got one.
Speaker 1: I don't think it should have been because he got his hands to the ball. He actually got the hit out, like it was. I think it was Meek. I want to say it was in there with him. I want to say it was he actually got the hit out. So Mark came across too early trying to make contact. Meek said, Okay, well, I'm just gonna stick my knee up, protecting himself because you got to think the ball falls back on your head. You put your knee up because if someone's trying to jump on you to get the ball, that's the only way to really protect yourself if the ball's falling over your head because the umpires can't send or bounce it. So to me, if you sit there and say, oh, we're not allowed to put our knees up anymore, then like, what's the point of the rock contest.
Speaker 2: We might as well just have a ball up in the.
Speaker 3: Middle of it, like a jump ball in basketball.
Speaker 2: Essentially, that's what's going to turn into.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what the reaction is out of this if we see more free kicks paid, because you do see a lot of ruckmen running in with their knee up and.
Speaker 2: What's jumping with your knee. That's how it is. Protect yourself.
Speaker 1: And that's why, like, that's why they wear shinguards, like because you know that someone's going to be trying to literally injure you, which is what he was doing to Mark Bissives. And then if they're still going for the ball and getting up like you might break a rib, like I've broken ribs And I actually whenever I had my spleen do like whenever that happened, and went in and got a scan. The guy goes, oh, do you know you've broken this rib before? And I said no, I didn't realize it, because yeah, you've had at least a break or a crack or something in here.
Speaker 3: Well, it was a crazy game.
Speaker 2: You can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
Speaker 3: That's that's good. I would clip that one up.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: But it was a crazy game. And another crazy game from Jeremy Cameron, who I think you twenty two touches, kicked seven goals, one killed an umpire. He did it all out there. It was nuts. Like it's gonna be a weird one because I feel like he should be leading the brown Low, but there is some merit in if your team's losing games, you probably shouldn't get the three. Like I feel like you should be in the maybe in the votes if you're like right up there. But if you do a hell of a lot but your team loses, I don't see that you should be getting the three. But he's got to be.
Speaker 2: If you're kicking seven in a game, you best be getting three.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, seven goals in the game, and you're not getting three votes. Like, I don't know who's getting better, Like who's doing better than that? Maybe you've won by one hundred points and whoever's in the midfield just dominating giving it to you. But Jeremy Cameron plays all over the ground, Like this guy is the most multipurpose athlete. I feel like that's out there at the moment in the AFL, And if he's not leading the Brownlow race right now, is one of the most valuable players in the league. I seriously have no idea who And it just proves that it's a midfield or war.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's what I like, one hundred percent winning probably the MVP players vote, coaches Award, like everything. It's just the yeah, the brown line is just different. But there's no way he didn't get the votes yesterday because he's getting more goals than any forward and more touches in their midfields. Like, it's just nuts. And they would have been up shit Creek in the first half if he had not been playing. Were you about to push the panic button at about half time?
Speaker 2: Half to I looked at it.
Speaker 1: That was like, Sherily gin Along is just gonna thump hawthorn here, right, but halfway cort too them there they were up at halftime. I was like, oh my gosh, this might be panic stations for Geelong. And then of course two quarters later Gelong comes back and kicks about one hundred and twenty points.
Speaker 2: So Geelong, you know.
Speaker 1: We've talked about it and a lot of people who are kind of in this situation of winning panic buttons for Geelong, and I've always been a fan of them, so I've always kind of said, don't push panic buttons. They've had a few injuries, all this kind of stuff, right, I think now this might be the one spark that gives them the momentum to keep going forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean maybe they were a little delayed preseason everyone's talking about it, which I don't really get because the one guy that said that he was having a pretty chill preseasons coming out and having twenty two touches kicking seven.
Speaker 1: Ft maybe the keys just a smash beers left, right and center and knackers.
Speaker 3: It's ridiculous. I don't The thing that I hate about this is you get players to have a podcast, to have a voice, to have personality. All the media, all the fans are like, we want to have a voice, we want personality out of the players, and then they say they give you a little fucking breadcrumb, and then you jump on them, Oh what's that you were relaxing over the off season. You gotta do three six five play footy. Shut up, Shut up up. Now we go back to pressure because I want to I want to get your opinion on, like more on this Kenny Hinkley stuff. I feel like you went through it a bit with like Bucks. When Bucks was coaching, it was just NonStop pressure on Bucks. Every win was like you get a little release of the valve and you got to take a breath for a week and then the next week is like right on again. How hard is it not only for like I'm sure you would have seen it on the coach. Yeah, but how much is a way on the plane group and like we got to win every week to like do this for our coach or like to take the pressure off here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like, I mean, we're all on it together, you know, so whenever he cops it, like we all want to back him up and for a long time because of I think not only that.
Speaker 2: He was obviously head coach.
Speaker 1: He's got that huge, you know, history with the club, and everyone expects greatness from him because he was such a great player, and it would probably put extra pressure on him just from the fan standpoint of what they expected. And as players, it's just it's tough because you know, like he's having to sit there and face up to the media every single week because he has media commitments as a coach, so he's having to face those questions every single week. Whereas players, we can just kind of say, okay, we don't want to face the media and we don't get asked those questions. But like as a coach, you you can't just disappear like you have to be in front of the camera and answer those things.
Speaker 2: So it's tough.
Speaker 1: To see that, and like, I think, more than anything, whenever you do see a coach under pressure like that, it just makes you want to win that much more so then you can see him be able to talk about something positive and not have to answer the questions about someone saying something negative or trying to to like, you know, try to catch them off in some way and try to get some kind of the quote out of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was tough.
Speaker 1: I've obviously been through the kind of Bucks era and stuff now into the Craig era, and it's interesting how different they probably treat the two people. Like Craig's not he's not probably a media personality before he came into the Callingwood job and obviously being a Collingwood coach, it's a massive, massive responsibility and you know a lot of criticism comes with it. But it was weird how different the media probably treats those two people. Yeah, and now Bus is in the media, so it's kind of he's probably now on the other side seeing it from a different perspective with that, But.
Speaker 3: Just jumping in, did you see or feel, like physically feel that the pressure difference, because like Bucks coming in had pressure. The changeover from like the Mick into Bucks was like messy, and then obviously Bucks being like this, like the son of Collingwood, like this massive figure, had all this pressure on him from the jump, and then I felt like that just carried the whole way through. When Fly started the first time in a long time, it just felt like like all the pressure was out the window and you could really have just a like a free run at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well Fly kind of started fresh because we had gotten rid of a lot of players. So I think that was one thing where Mick obviously he was coming out of a successful little period there, and Nathan took over, and yeah, I don't know, it's like it's a weird one because I think one thing also to add on to this is Bucks never won a Grand Final, and I think people always wanted to see him at the ultimate success of winning a Grand Final, and they thought maybe this coaching was another opportunity obviously for him to be able to do that. So I think everyone was just put that pressure on him to be able to do that, and everyone not in a bad way. Everyone just wanted to see him be successful at the top of the top, you know, the top er echelon, and be able to get that finally, you know, get that metal and unfortunately never worked out. And I think people always just like not I guess like they just want to see it as success to him, which is a positive and such a great thing, but they also put that pressure on him because they want to see that.
Speaker 2: That also added pressure to the whole situation.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think that was probably tough to deal with, I imagine from his standpoint. I mean, like he has been such a successful player, and you know, I think about, you know, the things I've been able to experience them all lifetime, my footy career and stuff, and you always look back to other players that probably have never been able to experience that, and you have to be happy with the experiences you have had, but also be motivated to have better experiences going forward. And yeah, I don't know, maybe he comes back coaching at one point, maybe gets another chance of that.
Speaker 2: I'm not really sure.
Speaker 1: But Nathan's one of those people always kind of, you know, wish the best for He's a he's a person that's done so much for the sport, so much for the league, and he's one of those special talents that are kind and once in a generation but yeah, he's now moved on to the meter side of things and that answer, sorry, that question will probably only be answered by him whether he wants to come back.
Speaker 3: And Ken Hinckley would have signed a massive sireh relief when he saw the ball dipping on the line, because geez, everyone was celebrating that, all the Sydney fans in the crowd, the Sydney players, the Port players dropped their head and then there was an Eastern miracle and so it felt like the ball just hit a brick wall because it was flying. It was like post high and then all of a sudden they just dipped on the line and alier Ala.
Speaker 2: Who you know so good his name twice.
Speaker 3: Ken Hinkley owes him a slot because he was just he was stopping every ball coming in. He's playing on buddy, the best goalkicker in the history since you know, way way back, Like, yeah, he was just stopping everything. And of course he was the one that stopped the last ball on the line. So yeah, he would have been breathing a big sireh relief.
Speaker 1: It was. It was a big care. It was forty five meters so it was a massive kick. I don't think people realize how far it actually was out. So he marked it about forty five, which means he's kicking at least fifty. It was straight, like you look at the because of the camera shot was perfect. It was right behind him like the ball was going straight through the sticks. Everyone thought game over right, it was all going to happen perfectly, and then you get the line of the shot on the line and it's actually like a meter short. So I don't I mean, like even if Lua didn't get to it, like it would have touched someone. I'm sure probably on the way through because you would have had all of Port Adelaide's team on that line, Like it'd be tough to You really have to clear the line if you're going to do that. And at the siren and Buddy, I think I think you look at the vision. Buddy like tackled someone who was just like trying to do his best to get it over the line. Credit to him, but yeah, it was just that meter short. And the celebration. Oh, I felt so bad for him. Oh he had.
Speaker 3: Because he was laying on the ground with someone on top of him and he had no idea. So when he sat up and he said what happened and he mouthed it so clearly, like you'd be so confused, and then yeah, I don't people like, you know, analyzing it to the death of like oh, well, like this person celebrated too early, and like like Buddy could have done this, and then that it's like, come on, it was dropping a meter short and there's twenty blokes on the line. Someone's gonna touch it. If it wasn't a lear earlier, it would have been someone else. And but yeah, it's pretty crazy and just it's those tiny moments in a season that have like a massive ripple effects. So it's like, you know, Ken Hinckley loses that mass pressure on him. Now he does he wins, and there's like a little pressure release and like and then Sydney. Now the pressure's on Sydney because they lost at home. It's like, oh, is that the first team that they're versed that are like any good? And like everyone's still trying to figure out what the hell's going on in the season.
Speaker 1: The pressures bullshit though, I mean we're in round four, going into round five, like there is still so much footy to play, and people are already gone, oh, these are the favorites to win the flag and oh this and that, you know, and it's just there's so much to play out. I think about whenever we were at round five last year, right, people would have gone not making finals. Team's literally going to finish seventeenth. They've got no idea what they're doing back half the year when eleven straight, when you're in top four, like, there's so much that can change.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I feel like competition lends itself to that now, like the competition is so wild, Like no one would have had Saints on top of the ladder. Yeah, plus not only that.
Speaker 2: A long literally at the end of this like round on the bottom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're like Saints of injury depleted, like you know, backs against the wall, like it would have been good if they were you know, clipping the bottom of the eighth or something pre season, but you know, everything changes crazy. It's yeah, it's I think foot is in such a good spot. Something sad out of the game though. Patty McCartin another you know knockout for him. That's seven ten concussions now in his career, and this one was obviously super innocuous, like it it didn't really look like anything at all. His head kind of hit the ground, but yeah, it didn't look great. Afterwards, he struggled to get to his feet and kind of helped from the ground. Like, what do you kind of see is the next steps moving forward in this situation because it especially with the AFL going through so much and the concussion talk and CTE and head knocks and all that being like super front and center, like what happens from here.
Speaker 2: It's a duty of character the player more than anything. I know.
Speaker 1: I'm sure Patty would say, you know, he's one of those players. I'll be right, I'll be right, you know, like and everything else. But it is a serious topic obviously, like the AFL is you know, now starting to take a bit of a hotter stance on it, which thank god it took long enough, but yeah, it's one of those things now, like that the tackle just looked.
Speaker 2: You know, I wouldn't even known that would have happened.
Speaker 1: And he'll you got that vision of him walking out or walking off the ground being quite dazed, and that's scary. That's scary to watch, like as as someone that's you know, a colleague somewhat you know, someone from a different team, but Yeah, to have that many cussions, you know, you just have to wish the best for him. And really the hands are in the doctors, like sorry, his hands are in the doctor's hands. And hopefully Sydney has the resources to maybe get someone on board that's you know, a true doctor and someone who's really qualified in this area with CT and everything else, to maybe have a meeting with him about what's going on. But yeah, it's it's tough to see Susy as a player. It's tough to see as someone who you know wishes other players well, you know, we're in the same situation doing the same sport, and he's obviously got mad love for football, otherwise he wouldn't be playing it. So it's it's going to be interesting to see the way they handle it. Hopefully, like I said, they can get someone who's very qualified to help with the situation. And I hope the AFL, if you know, Sidney doesn't have the resources, the IFL can jump in and say we're willing to pay for this as a dutio character players.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think there's going to be a process of this. Obviously talking to Patty, seeing where he's like head and heart is at whether he wants to continue on, then it'll go to Sydney and their judio care. They'll do all the tests and everything to see if medically he's kind of like okay to progress forward, and then then it has to kind of progress to you know, an independent body or the AFL or something like that to kind of look after the like look after the player, maybe take it out of their hands, but then also look after the league because you know, if they if Patti says yeah, I want to go on, and Sydney goes okay, yeah, sure, and then he comes back in ten years and he's not happy with the fact that he was allowed to play. Like there's so much that goes into it, but as I can say, is like the best to him and his family because Tom got knocked out in the same game. So we were talking last week about your parents looking at you and all your issues, like imagine being the parents of the mccartins and saying it's like that's tragic.
Speaker 1: It's one of the hardest things I think as a player whenever you're told by doctor can't play, and you have to have full trust in the doctor. Obviously they're qualified and a lot more intelligent in the area than probably yourself. But I think about whenever I've had injuries and stuff over the years and a doctor says, no, you're not playing and you just have this this once and this you know, drive to be successful and everything else, and whenever someone, I guess takes that away from you for your own good, for your own good, it's it's tough to like swallow it is. It is tough to to swallow that fact. And yeah, it's just but you go to now, I think at the end of it, like you have to sit there and have the mature look at it to say this is best for my long term long term health.
Speaker 3: People look at it and go like, well, obviously he's done. Like obviously, just call it for your own good. But like some of these guys, it's foot is all they've ever known, what is their identity? Like it it's different for every player obviously, but like it's not an easy call to be just saying like, oh, yeah, I'll just wrap up my career and my life right here right now and.
Speaker 2: Trying to find something else to do. Yeah, it's not easy.
Speaker 1: We'll move into an on the Adelaid versus freole game now something happened in this and we're going to talk about a few of these situations now, and numpire got a little bit of love, got a little bit of love for all the wrong ones.
Speaker 3: I was surprised. Have you ever been in trouble for touching an umpire?
Speaker 1: I've had an umpire touch me and I I remember he grab me, I touched me on the arm.
Speaker 2: I was like, hey, hey, hey, hey, this goes both ways. Now.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Jake's oligo kicks a goal, but it's it's one of those real contentious like it's on the line, like was it touched?
Speaker 2: Did it go through?
Speaker 3: Kind of sucker, kind of weird goals, and he celebrates because he knows that he's kicked it. And it was almost just a reflex of like touching the umpire's arm and going like you saw that right, Like I kicked the goal. And then as soon as he did it, he was like, I didn't mean to touch, like.
Speaker 1: You know, he as soon as he did, it goes there's fifteen hundred dollars just flushed down the drain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I reckon you start. Have you had any fines?
Speaker 1: Yeah, not for touching an umpire. But I've had plenty of finds in my career. I feel like maybe a tribe in order to hear there.
Speaker 3: For me when I got if I got a fine, I would instantly be thinking like I could have bought like a TV, or I could have bought this, or I could have bought that.
Speaker 2: Like a lot of people will sit there on that.
Speaker 1: Like if you do something in a game that's a bit questionable, you know, like players are coming to you and be.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, that's a fine, You're going to get fine.
Speaker 1: Here you get suspension for like a week, and they try to play into your head of like you're going to get suspended or something like that. You know, but yeah, you yet, I mean it was quite yeah, Like it wasn't like it wasn't malicious by any means, don't get me wrong, but like the rules are the rules. If you touch an umpire, you get a fine. He would have kicked that goal, touched it and gone ship.
Speaker 3: At least it's a goal, Like you got the goal.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it was they got the wain on that other we again.
Speaker 3: If it was a fifteen hundred dollars point, that would suck.
Speaker 2: Well, how much is a goal worth? Nowadays. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Hey, I would pay fifteen hundred dollars for a goal because I've never kicked one.
Speaker 1: Another another one that we have to talk about Tomy Cameron hit sticks and umpire this weekend.
Speaker 2: We haven't we haven't brushed on up yet.
Speaker 3: Big weekend absolutely demolished and umpire just swallowed him all in celebration.
Speaker 1: And this is a bit different because he didn't really see him coming. And I think, honestly it's on the umpire because he was turned around out looking at him, celebrating to the fans of where it was, and the umpire had all the vision of him coming out in full steam and just didn't get out of the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the umpire had less awareness because you know, you can't you can see Jazz coming.
Speaker 2: He's excited, just kicked a big goal.
Speaker 3: I reckon maybe the umpire just had all eyes on ball. He's like, I got to get this back to the center, like that's where his job starts. When jesus So, I don't know, but it was kind of like a weird one, like he just engulfed this bloke because Jess would be one hundred kegs, so just engulfs him and then this long, like drawn out hugs from like.
Speaker 2: I think of Joey Cameron's body goes fifteen hundred dollars. How can I play this off? I want my money back. Cash converter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's just like softly picking him up like like a delicate flower. You're all good, buddy, you're right.
Speaker 2: I didn't hurt you, did I that's gonna be even worse. That might be five if I actually hurt you.
Speaker 3: Now that you said that, I want to touch like just.
Speaker 2: I would have loved to see the umpires just go and just get into Jesse Cameron. After that, I.
Speaker 3: Tweeted out, I would love to see there.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: Still still just good. But yeah, like come over the guy after bench runs off the bench in his tracksuit and just starts jump a function jets or something. But I want to talk about cash converters. Yeah, and all these A grade players getting on these cash converter ads. What's that that's old for? Traka, Oh, come, you've got money, You're not going to cash converters to get a second hand PlayStation? Get off it.
Speaker 1: Cash converters where they get all the stuff they get gifted. They go straight to cash convertse just get the money straight in their hand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly smart by that, you get some free crap over your time, you could cash.
Speaker 2: I've been to a cash converters yet that Yeah.
Speaker 3: They've giving you ideas. Now I want to talk about this one because I couldn't imagine any world that we exist in any you know, different space and time continuum on another planet or in a different vortex that you kick a torpedo on the run from fifty five out like Jake Stringer did on the weekend, because that's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: We'd have to be up by one hundred and forty and I would have kicked four looking for the fifth.
Speaker 3: Maybe, so a Stringer cops a ton of heat this week obviously, you know, coming back in pre season, not in the best nick as he'd probably admit, gets injured, starts late, pretty much the same story. I'm putting that out there on Jake Stringer. And then as Jake Stringer does, he kicked like six ' ten or six whatever he kicked. He kicked the hell of a lot of points too. But he was just shooting from everywhere, and one of them included a top on the run from fifty five. Now are there team rules around this stuff? Like if you did it, would you just be dropped the next week?
Speaker 2: If it was me, yes, I definitely would be dropped.
Speaker 3: Like aren't there guys in Collingwood that you give a license to? Like I feel like if a Braidon Maynard or something was doing it, maybe yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, braid Maynard's not going to get dropped for kicking a torp pond fifty. He might get a stone talking too, but that's about it.
Speaker 3: I would hate to give Braidon Maynard a stern talk. That would be scary in itself.
Speaker 1: I'm happy to no, I would ud be braid Maynard's the handball received from fifty. He kicks a judge drop punt. That's his go to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he could kick a drop punt from there. I guess that's the that's the difference.
Speaker 1: On the rune, like he asks for it. Between him and the daycast boys, you get plenty of plenty of lip. Whenever you get like a ball of mIRC right on fifty.
Speaker 3: That's you because you're always like I'm making the distance so super confident. There was for a lot of years there, You're like going back slowly from fifty it's like, oh, he kicked it to the top of the square, yeah, not having a shut Yeah.
Speaker 1: But now I think there's maybe one or two players that can maybe. I don't really think anyone our team would do that because we hope to be an unfish team.
Speaker 2: That's kind of part of our ethics.
Speaker 1: But if there was someone to do it and get away with it, and they would have to kick it though if they miss it, for you're coughing that much.
Speaker 2: But maybe Jordan de Goy.
Speaker 1: He's a freak, and I feel like he could just maybe he was like getting tackled at the same time, just torped on from sixty and just goes through the sticks. And if it goes through, it's tough to really criticize him because they actually, you know, it worked.
Speaker 2: Is it probably what we're asking for now?
Speaker 1: Like I look back to the Jade and Stevenson tort from like forty five, so it would have been fifty five sixty. I remember sitting on the line thinking, fuck you, you're.
Speaker 2: Gonna just like look us off in the forward line.
Speaker 1: Everyone sprinted to the goal line and try to you know, to try to like lead up back to get this ball, you've waved us off and try to torp one from sixty and it went through to his credit. But in my mind, I'll be honest, big fuck off mate.
Speaker 3: So he's looked ahead, looking at his options, and he's gone.
Speaker 1: He thought a tor from sixty was a better option than the three forwards leading up at him. Then is there anything more disrespectful than that?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's good. I think I think Jordi probably in the same mold as a Jake Stringer, like one of those guys that can just break a game open. I think, I don't know, I could be wrong, but looking at him, Jeremy How, I reckon has a real good talk in him, though probably a talk technique. I reckon Jeremy How has a great talk in him.
Speaker 2: He does probably not at the moment.
Speaker 1: Love you, Jemy, all the best of the recovery legend, But yeah, I think Jeordie's probably the one that gets license over anyone else at the club. I'd say maybe Pedals can't make.
Speaker 3: Forty Pendals needs a talk, a talk from.
Speaker 1: About forty forty five. He's like me, we both struggle to make the distance. But now I think Jordan's the one maybe Nick Decass in the year, maybe him.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to check in on this one round four sub rule, like we are we happy with where that sits at the moment. It seems a bit it's weird. It is cool that you can like influence a game, and it's way more tactical now as opposed to like just if it's an injury, you can hold it off until the last quarter and pull the trigger on on a player. But yeah, how do you see it or would you just go like a five man bench or is it working?
Speaker 1: I don't think it really matters five man bench or sub because almost every game, right, you're gonna have one player that's playing out one hundred percent or injured or whatever maybe and you're probably going to pull them off. Or maybe it's like a person that's played their first game or like doesn't have the you know, the tank to be able to go through a full game, and you'll have to sub them anyway. So I don't really think there's too much of an issue with it. Like I think it's it's quite you know, much of muchness at times, but I understand there's more tactical like choosing whenever it comes to a sub and win to deploy the sub and things like that. You know, so maybe adds a bit of entertainment flair to the game, which I'm all for. But the five man on the bench, it's, you know, it's it's kind of much and muchness. I think at the end of the day, like you essentially, if you get to the point where you're really using that fifth man and subbing that many people, you're probably just going to use the sub anyway.
Speaker 2: Halftime. It's pretty similar.
Speaker 3: Have you ever talked to the sub about it, because I can't imagine you'd be the sub.
Speaker 2: Probably might have once.
Speaker 1: I was a sub last year for Pendles and a very did his finger. I want to say its ether year or two year or two ago against Adelaide to put autolad Marvel. They played dog Ship after that, I played for a half. I don't even think I got a touch. The sub interesting a great tactical idea that was two years ago, two years ago.
Speaker 3: But as a sub there's a lot that you have to do that like people don't realize, and it's like you gotta if you come on and then you've got to like make sure you get like the running in your legs and a lot of times you see players out there doing laps after the game and and things like that, and it would be hard to get consistency in your game as well. If you like pull the trigger, you don't know when you're coming on. You might come on for a quarter, you might come on for three quarters. It would be a pretty weird spot to be in as a player.
Speaker 1: Mentally, it's a bit of like a screw around like as you Yeah, like you said, you never know whenever you're on, So you're constantly trying to stay warm, ready to go. So if someone does, like I think a couple of weeks ago, Brodie march I had done something to his finger and came off, we had to deploy the sub right away. And that's not something that like you have time. He scently just comes off there go yep, you're on banks see you later, like go, So you have to just be mentally ready to do that. And like you can imagine some of these people, it might be a sub, might be a sub for two three weeks. So like that, just the mental like game of that can be frustrating. It's not the best position you want to be and I'll be honest, and that halftime you have to kind of go run around catchy quarter time halftime go you see him warming up in the fifty like doing Mike Leeds marks all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: But you got to look at glass at four.
Speaker 1: Either not part of the team and you're playing in the VFL that week and you're probably not getting your match bonus and stuff, or you're the sub for the week and the coach still has trust in you that you're at AFL level to be able to play, and you're the sub, you know, hopefully getting a chance to come on and make a difference. So the chances are you're probably going to come on as a sub. Yeah, Like, I don't think there's many games have been played with the sub hasn't been activated.
Speaker 3: So do you you still get match payments and it still goes to your game telling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nice don't because ol Egg was a sub for his first game.
Speaker 3: Oh are true? Now another couple of subs coming out of the Richmond team, Lynch and the NAC now two obvious big presences physically and you know in the team lineup, would you sigh a bit of a breath of relief if you were coming up against Richmond without those two in the team.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're really good players and I had to find a way to be able to replace the I think right now that they're kind of a similar position with us, Like obviously Nanke is the ruckman, forum their second rockers out, their third Rock is injured, like they're now looking to play Sampson Ryan probably in the middle, like a young kid who doesn't have a lot of experience play at that level playing Rock now, I'm going to have to shoulder the whole load. So I knowing that, but so much Obviously one of the best players forwards in the league that goes out, you know, now you've got to shift things around to try to cover his role. It's going to be an interesting time for Richmond for this little little patch until they're back. But yeah, I think they're obviously a big leadership at that team also, so there would be that has to be covered. Also, I know Rebolt was in the box, you know, so he's helping out with coaching, So maybe they'll do that. I'm not really too sure kind of how it all works, but yeah, Richmond's going to be a team that's going to have to try to get this next little patch so they can get some of those superstars back and hopefully get fighting fit. But it's it's an interesting time in the ruckman role. There's a lot of Rockman out of the moment, and there's a lot a lot of people striving to be able to fill that role.
Speaker 2: That's for sure.
Speaker 3: A lot of second ruckman's coming in not knowing the rules, getting maid in the guts. But we'll touch on that now to the Collingwood game, No Rock got these seconds coming in. It looked a bit messy now, like what happened up there? Because first quarter? Good, third quarter? Good, fourth quarter? Good second quarter? Dog shit they kick nine? You kick nne Yeah, and it kind of looked really disjoint like balls were getting out the back. A lot of Brisbane plays free. There was there's some confusion, that's all, like the ruck's not in the right spot, Like what was happening up there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I think it's tough as a player who plays that position to see that. I guess like that position tried to be filled and then the person that's playing in it, like you know, hasn't had to play full rock before, So yeah, I feel bad because it's like he's just been thrust into this position, like he's not this is not something he's worked towards per se, you know, and like and I thought I also I thought Dan and Ash played really well over the weekend, like they you know, as far as the rock contests and stuff, they nullified really anything going too crazy, Like I think Oscar had the chance to to maybe like whenever we're going into it, I was thinking he's just going to be trying to punch everything forward and really get some territory off that, but he wasn't really able to.
Speaker 2: So it's a credit to him.
Speaker 1: But with anything, whenever you first try it, it's it's not going to be perfect. And I think over the weekend we realized that there was some confusion around setups and stuff and center bounces. There was a few free kicks and whatnot, and we tried to play billion into the ruck at times and try to move other people out, and there was a bit of confusion around that. And yeah, it cost us probably a few goals and definitely territory in that sense. But I thought over the weekend for something that we just had to throw in last second and sort out like I thought they did pretty well.
Speaker 3: And it is weird because obviously, so the ruck doesn't just affect the ruck because then you've got to start cherry picking from the ford and the defense, and those two are at the other end of the ground. So I don't know if you know that forwards are one in, but so it's really hard to communicate. I can imagine between those guys and be like you need to be in there, you need to be in there. It would throw the whole team structure into a bit of chaos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I think whenever you're a rock and whenever Doris and I play, like we've both played rock for a while and like we're pretty interchangeable in that role. Like it's not like I think whenever Brodie was playing, we tried to play Brody a.
Speaker 2: High percentage in the ruck and we would get less percentage in there.
Speaker 1: But with Darcy myself, it's really more kind of towards that fifty to fifty raw And like if I you know, like whenever I had the spleen thing happened, I remember that happened, was like Darcy, come fill my role just for a chunk, because I'm nowhere near it or at the moment, I'm bleeding internally. So there's kind of those opportunities where you're just like it just flows and you just make it flow. But whenever, like that's not an option, or you're trying to figure out that synergy and what to do in certain circumstances and kind of you know, understanding of the different players you're playing with.
Speaker 2: Like it's it's tough to get that perfect you.
Speaker 1: Know, connection straight off the bat, and I think that's probably maybe something we struggled with on the weekend. But yeah, it's it's it's tough, Like it's tough to watch it and you want to it's just like you just want to be out there just like fixing it, you know, like you just want to be out there fixing it. But unfortunately it's not the circumstance. And yeah, we just had a bit of miscommunication I think in that second quarter and then yeah, Brisbane was able to kick quite a few goals and Charlie Cameron got on top of us.
Speaker 3: Are you confident that you'll be able to fix those like communication issues or have they been addressed? I guess more importantly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we'll sort it out this week. I think we'll have a lot better understanding of what works inside, and we'll get another week of kind of experiencing on the training track, being able to kind of really lock down what that person's going to do in that role and how we're going to I guess shift players around you. I think whenever you put someone into that rock position, you're also losing probably someone from the forward line. So like Damn says one of our staple forwards, now we have a hole in the forward line that was Damn say that. Now we have to fill. So now someone else might have to move positions and play a different position than they are normally I'm.
Speaker 2: Not used to.
Speaker 1: So you got to think like that's that's just kind of the flow on effect of this happening, and over the weekend, I think that was definitely real or sorry, prevalent that you could see in the game.
Speaker 3: And correct me if I'm wrong. It's probably a lot easier to fill a gap in the forward line than it is in the back line. So when Frampton comes up to fill the rock, is that why we were seeing so many kind of goals out the back and like spare Brisbane players. Is that where it fell down or was it a separate issue.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think a lot of times when we get scored on, it's out the back, and that's because we're a high pressure team. We come forward, we pressure the ball, we back in our heat on the ball, and then if they are able to get through that, and it's it's very rarely I think actually as a team teams can do that because it's such a high pressure game. Then we take the risk of probably someone just sprinting away from us and just being totally out the back and we just don't we back in the fact that the ball's not going to get to him because our pressure is so good at the at the cold face. So that's kind of probably, I think where a lot of this stuff happens, where we kind of take the risk of maybe someone coming across as a third man to punch something or something along that along that line of getting more people to the contest where maybe we lose one out in the back and that's how you get an easy goal. And I'll think about this, Charlie Cameron over he's I think he's six of six over the weekend, and the way it works in Brisbane is after someone kicks a goal, they have like a song like their song, right, Charlie's Cameron, Charlie, Sorry, Charlie Cameron's goal celebration.
Speaker 2: Song, take Me Home, cut Your Road to Please Off.
Speaker 1: That's Virginia, like seriously, six times of the game, John Denver, Don't get me wrong, but shit, I was sick of that song by the time I left that joint.
Speaker 3: The bloke sitting next to you singing alone, oh no, he was pissed.
Speaker 2: Fume and Collingwood fan.
Speaker 3: But that's enough of you sitting in the stand singing country Road. We need a bit of an injury update because I heard some whispers that you're ahead of time and you're ahead of schedule.
Speaker 2: There's some wild rumors out there at the moment, Braden, stupid rumors. But people somehow know more about my internal organs than I do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you wouldn't have even you've been up on the Gold Coast lounging it around by the pool side, love it just getting some.
Speaker 2: Sunch spa treatment out of the beach.
Speaker 3: Do you pay for anything? All right? That was a free view. Surely you're on the Instagram, Braiden.
Speaker 2: I don't released the information of the Okay.
Speaker 3: So you're out there lounging around, So injury update, we better, we worse? Can we rush it along or.
Speaker 2: I feel better?
Speaker 1: I think for a long time I was in this like because I had this essentially like two plus leaders of blood in me that was pushing things around really weird, and the body just somehow absorbs this thing. I don't know, And I felt quite nauseous for a week and just was like really kind of like all over the place in that sense. But I feel normal now and talking to the doc, the blood counts back to normal, which is good. So signs are in the right direction. I know you sent me a text saying that there was some miracle that I was playing this week or something on those lines. I can stomp that that's not gonna happen, but yeah, it's in the right direction. We'll get a scan lader this week, I think, and get a better of an understanding of it. Got to go and get the CT scan, get the die put into the IV, all that kind of jazz. Great time at the old hospital and get a better idea of time frames and stuff. But it's still low key at the moment. Don't do much just let the body recover, let the organ kind of somehow heal itself up. I know they the body is a miraculous thing. Oh it's insane, absolutely insane. So I'm gonna let it do its thing. I'm want to kick back, try to help out where I can at the club. And that's about all I can do.
Speaker 3: Got a chemist Warehouse, get some vitamins.
Speaker 2: Vitamins.
Speaker 3: Your TikTok was actually like the TikTok walking through chemist Warehouse hitting your head on the science. That was actually good gear.
Speaker 1: I thought it was pretty funny. Also, does anyone else know this? Chemists Warehouse is just like a huge clearance cell. Everything is on sale. It is just lime green, just neon pink. Everything looks like I get a headache walking through the joint. I mean, like, how do you actually know what's on sale in that place?
Speaker 3: Love Chemist Warehouse?
Speaker 2: I saw me wrong. But like their marketing is just like everything must go.
Speaker 3: Well, it's all relative because if their prices are cheap to everywhere everywhere else everything's on sale. Now. I will say that there's one bloke on Twitter that's putting out there miracles and he's got the inside scoop on Mason's injury. I don't know how you could bloody know because he hasn't got his scans. He's laying on a fucking banana lounge up in the Gold Coast, so he's got the inside inside word. He must be your proctologist or something.
Speaker 2: He's up there.
Speaker 3: But we'll look ahead to the Saint Kilda game, Chris. They are fly harmon top of the ladder, big game coming up. Gather around over in Adelaide. Now are you going to be there? You're not going to be there. I don't think i'll be there, right, So watch this space. We'll see what we can do with that. We'll get we'll get some we'll get some coverage going. But yeah, that I don't know how. They're kind of playing a similar game to you, like that you both running gun. So it should be exciting footage.
Speaker 2: It would be a really good game. I'm excited to see how this pans out.
Speaker 1: I think it'll be a high scoring games, would be a lot, a lot of risky kicks, you say, to try to get some of the like a go on the other end. So it's going to be a very pressure game, very fast flowing game. A game that I think might be the best game to watch of the round. I might even say, and yeah, it's gonna be exciting. I mean, like, obviously Saint Kilda is just choo choo train, just rolling through teams at the moment, and we've had the loss in Brisbane last week, so we'll be having tried have something to prove, I guess. And yeah, it's a credit to Saint Kila. They've been going really well. Ross Lyne has absolutely turned the kind of program around from the first you know fours so far. It is obviously a long season, but they're just they're harmon. They're absolutely harmon top of the ladder at the moment. It would be a challenge for us.
Speaker 3: It's going to be challenging for ross Lyons to get his gatorade bottle through security at the airport to get over to the Adelaide. So I don't know, I don't know if you'll be as jovial as cheery as he's been in past weeks. But it should be a bloody good game. And I'm right, I'm right there with your defense is dead. Who needs defenders? Defense sucks. We want goals, we want attacking footy, we want fast, fast, footy and we're getting it this year, so it should be a bloody exciting game. And I'm happy to wrap things up there. I reckon Now, nice type pod and we're not doing the entertainment pod this week.
Speaker 1: I must say there's a reason we've only got one pod coming out this week, and it is massive because we've got some of I will say, we have just recorded one of the biggest, biggest names in Australian athletics.
Speaker 3: It's actually huge. That's a nice, little, nice little mind game. I reckon you put in there.
Speaker 1: It was skin the Gold Coast. A little teaser there. I'll let you try to sort out who it might be.
Speaker 3: I think if you think of the biggest name that you could possibly think in Australia in your head, it's bigger than that.
Speaker 2: Ain't that a teaser?
Speaker 3: Anthony ELBANIZI alban.
Speaker 2: Easy, he's taking it easy. Oh it's not Anthony Albanezi. I will let you know that one.
Speaker 3: So we didn't do just one episode because you were in the Gold Coast on the Banana Ledge.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, we want to give everyone a happy Easter with the family. Didn't want to be in there here too much, you know, just family time is important, so we'll let him have that. You know, it's one podcast this week, massive interview coming up, and we've also got some other interviews coming through. I will give a little teaser here. Some NHL boys coming on. Yeah, HiT's big fights. That's gonna be good fun, that's gonna be real good. Fine, We've got a really random one coming up to that we're recording this week too. And then lastly, we have an NBA superstar from everywhere.
Speaker 3: We're getting them from everywhere.
Speaker 1: We're getting them every single direction. Mason Cox is not taking tame on im off at the moment. He's just hamming like Saint Kilda, pomping the pod. Get around it, ladies and gentlemen. But that is it for this sports podcast. Look, look, subscribes, you don't want to miss this upcoming little month and a half. It's going to be absolutely Insaye, you don't want to miss the rest of the season, to be honest. Sorry, subscribing on the platform's legends. It is an absolute pleasure. Thank you so much for being part of the community. Seriously, you'll are absolute legends. I'll say it again, but I really appreciate you all supporting the podcast, share it with friends, everything else, and yeah, we'll see you next week. Yeah,