Speaker 1: Laura, come on.
Speaker 2: Happy Thursday. Everyone the pick up his own ladies. We're all live to air babies.
Speaker 3: Hello. I just put chocolate on my white top.
Speaker 4: I've just realized that now I had a chocolate protein by and this is my first white this.
Speaker 3: Is my it's down south. It kind of looks like from the nether regions.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, just packing them down south. I've just been getting more water transition. I've been getting lazizer on my hair. Well not well, yes, Laura, but that's not what I was going to say. Not on your legs.
Speaker 3: I mean, I already know you share too much with me. I was getting it.
Speaker 4: I'm getting laser hair removal on my legs, Brazilian and underarms.
Speaker 3: Like I just pigured, I'd get the whole lot.
Speaker 5: Right, whatever hair is you want, it wants to be a sphinx cat from the eyeballs down.
Speaker 3: I want to be a sphinx. But I went in and because you have.
Speaker 4: To if you don't know about you have to get it in like every four to six weeks, and you have to get it six or eight times, so it's.
Speaker 3: A whole big pro and then it kills it permanently. Right, So yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah. It grows back like very fine, like little flimsy little head.
Speaker 4: And she's like, okay, rollover. You don't have any pants on right because it's Brazilian. It's just very vulnerable bury there. And she's like, okay, rollover, we'll do the.
Speaker 3: Back of the legs. And there's no little towel. Modesty towel is nothing.
Speaker 4: So I rolled over my tummy and she's going up the legs and she goes, are we doing the Hollywood?
Speaker 2: The what?
Speaker 4: And I said the Hollywood. She's like, yeah, do you want the Hollywood? And I was like Hollywood. She's like looking at me, She's like, yeah, do you get the Hollywood?
Speaker 3: And I looked at her.
Speaker 4: She looked at me and I was like, do you mean my butthole? And she was like, yeah, that's part of the package.
Speaker 3: Do you want it? And I was like, the hole, not the whole world? The Hollywood? Yeah, I think there is a bit of a pun there the Hollywood.
Speaker 5: Anyway, how's your butt now?
Speaker 4: I think white humbles you more than bright fluoro lights and pulling your butt checks. But so some other chicken can get a laser gun in there, it's the pulling you have to part ways you.
Speaker 3: Should get it mere. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Look, coming off on the it was good for you today kids, what do you have for recess? Look?
Speaker 3: Everyone gets laser hair, they.
Speaker 5: Do know, they do you so right, and Pop wants to know what they're in store for because it is a little bit more confronting than you think.
Speaker 2: I'll have to go to Jim's mowing before I got I got laser though, there'd be a bit of groundwork to do for me.
Speaker 4: I'm a hairy No, you shave it first and then they laser back inside.
Speaker 2: So I learned so much hosting this show with you girls. The Mother's Day this weekend. A thousand dollars cashes up for grabs on this show today, which is very exciting. That's going to happen before four o'clock.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and also Thursday, which means it's ask gun Cut where you guys call up and you you know, you get a little bit of free therapy here at the show.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like we just gave brit some free therapy there. I think I need therapy. You feel judged. Let's do no, no, no, we don't judge you, Miss Hollywood. Let's do an ask gun cut. Next to start a first day edition of The Pickup.
Speaker 4: Welcome, Ask, Ask, gun Cut is one of our favorite segments.
Speaker 3: We do it every Thursday. We call it Therapy Thursday. Basically, you call in.
Speaker 4: With your biggest predicaments, your deepest, darkest problems.
Speaker 3: We do our best to give you completely uneducated advice, but we're very passionate about it.
Speaker 2: It's definitely on thirteen one of sixty five. You need some advice, You've come to the right place, grew therapy. The Pickup is where people come. How can we help you? What's your con under him?
Speaker 7: So, I've been with my partner for a long time and everything in our relationship is fine. There's nothing wrong with him. We're very happy. The only thing is that he really wants vinears. He's always been very unhappy with his smile. And the thing is he wants Veneers. They're very expensive and he thinks that he should dip into our joint savings account to pay for them.
Speaker 5: Oh no, that's a hit, that's an himn thing.
Speaker 2: Hold on, no, no, get the facts. How bad are his teeth? Since since you met him? Has he been an insecurity for him?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: And look, so he doesn't smile in photos. But I don't look at him and think that it's bad. But it's something that I think for him it's bad because, yeah, he doesn't smile in photos. It's something he's always been very self conscious about. And I do it's feel bad. Five years and is he the one? Oh, no question, he's the one. We're very happy together. The thing is, though, without joint savings, we don't own our home, and it would be I think, probably smarter that we keep building for a deposit rather than dipping into it for something cosmetic. I think if he wants to do this, it almost has to be something he should pay for himself.
Speaker 3: How much how much divining is cost? Do we know? It's like ten thous looking at.
Speaker 7: About yeah, okay, we'll be looking at about ten about ten thousand.
Speaker 5: Can you not split it down the middle and be like, okay, well we can put ten thousand dollars for your teeth in from the joint account, and then you've got to give me ten thousand dollars and I'll go do something with it that I want.
Speaker 3: Oh it's not it's not two for two.
Speaker 2: You don't go, hey, yeah, I'll pay for two front teeth you pay for two bottom times.
Speaker 3: I'm about to suggest maybe getting the top row only.
Speaker 5: Okay, but I mean, yeah, it's very non essential. Like I mean, I would say for other things, like you know, if it's a surgery or something you have to have of cause you're going to pay for your partner.
Speaker 3: But venis it's just superficial.
Speaker 4: Agree for a lot of people. I mean, your smile and your teeth are like you said, he's so self conscious and he doesn't smile. It's a really big thing for a lot of people.
Speaker 3: I think it's look for me.
Speaker 4: If I was with my partner for five years and we were getting married and it's something that made him deeply unhappy, I would probably be okay with it and think, Okay, maybe it takes us a little bit longer to get that renovation money if it's his day to day.
Speaker 3: That he's living. But it's completely up to you. If you know that you don't want to do that, you just say that. But I don't know. I think five years and it's your partner.
Speaker 4: For me, i'd probably want to try and make my partner feel really happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I reckon individual choice.
Speaker 2: I reckon you can like split, don't dip into the whole funds and pay for the whole thing. I think he needs to pay for a chunk of it. But I also think have you considered here, Stephanie, applying for married at First Sight? Because think about it. Those contestants go on that show and what do they all come off with, no love, free dental work.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is very true. That's a good tactic. Or is there anything that you want to get done? Maybe you want to go and get something, but lifted, you don't get a BBL don't it takes.
Speaker 3: Even more money away. I don't think it's like you get this, I get this.
Speaker 4: I think yeah, you're just making him happy and making him smile as long as you say.
Speaker 3: Afraid to Yeah, and you put in the eye you how bad are we talking? Can you send us a photo please? Producer Grace has a photo. Yeah, look at these girls. They're pretty bad, bad bad. Hey, guys, it's about what you all think, it's about what he thinks. You know what they look like?
Speaker 2: They look like Patricia Arquet from Medium, you know how the front two kind of and I'm not negging, I'm just saying for a visual for the listeners that the front two kind of come in like a funnel.
Speaker 5: I'm sure Patricia would think that you're negging her.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying that's how the teeth look. For a visual for the audience, asked.
Speaker 4: The dentist if you can do a payment plan, a long term payment plan.
Speaker 3: I know a lot of them do it or get those you know, those teethies O break.
Speaker 5: Now, as I'm sure a lot of us are already familiar with, it is Mother's Day on the weekend, on Sunday, and for so many moms out there, it is such a beautiful day. It's such an important day where we get to celebrate the very important women in our life. But also, and I think it's become a more increasing conversation over the years, it can be a really challenging day for a lot of women. It can be a challenging day for women who have lost babies. It can be a challenging day for women who have lost their mums. And we're just talking about the statistics around this. Now there's twelve million women in Australia and a quarter of those have lost their mums. And when you think about that, that's just like there's going to be so many people who not only wanting to celebrate the life of their mum, but also just the memory of them as well, and that is the very reason why Motherless Daughters was created. Motherless Daughters Australia. It's run by Danielle Snelling. She's a co founder of this and we have Danielle on the show.
Speaker 3: Danielle. Welcome to the pick up daniel.
Speaker 6: Hi, guys, thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: Danielle.
Speaker 4: What made you start this? I mean, do you call it a foundation? Do you call it a community?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Not for profit organization?
Speaker 3: For profit organization? What will they just start it?
Speaker 6: Mom died when I was twenty three, so twelve years ago now, and there was just no specific support. I think that's such a critical age too, where you're kind of still out partying and you don't expect to lose your mum. So my friendships quickly changed my perspective, my priorities, and I was really lonely and isolated and couldn't find specific support. So set out to find someone just like me, and thank god, found her online and that first meeting we had together was just incredible, and went on and started the organization together to help so many more women find that validation and connection.
Speaker 5: Danielle, what does Mother's Day mean to you? And I know that that's probably a chanl lenging question to answer, but when everybody else is talking about how we should celebrate Mum and get Mama card and get mom this, Like, what does that day mean to you?
Speaker 6: Oh? Look, it's a really hard day's It really does highlight what you have missing, and especially on socials when you see all your friends out and about with their mum, which is wonderful for them, but absolutely heartbreaking for me and for those of us that are without their mum. So it's really challenging and isolating.
Speaker 3: Danielle.
Speaker 2: I've seen some like a few companies do things like because obviously you get inundated with the Mother's Day messaging, like you hear it on the radio, you hear it on social media, you get it in your bloody inbox, you get the Mother's Day gifts and the discounts. And I've seen some hacks online in the Facebook groups around this stuff. You can opt out of emails so you don't see these things in your feed. What do you recommend and also maybe some advice to those out there, how can we discuss a Mother's Day with friends of ours that have lost their mums.
Speaker 6: Yeah, look, I think of holding space. It's so important to acknowledge and validate, and by those companies that are offering you opt out, that's exactly what they're doing. And I know from the twenty five thousand plus women in our community, when they get that from a retailer, they just love it. They feel seen, they feel heard, and we're encouraging everyone. We know the conversation can be uncomfortable and we feel a lot of discomfort around grief and loss, but we're encouraging everyone to push past that and hold space. Ask your friend about their mum. Ask if they want to talk about them, check in, say Mother's Days coming up. We know it's a hard time. Want to grab a coffee, tell me about your mum. Lean into the conversation rather than a way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so interesting.
Speaker 5: So I feel like some people that would make them uncomfortable, so they want to lean away from it for fear of making you feel uncomfortable, fear of bringing up emotions that maybe you're trying to push down on Mother's Day. But I think the reality is if you've lost someone who you love so deeply like your mum. Never you never want to push those feelings away entirely because you don't want to forget about them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, one hundred percent. We've actually just launched a campaign on our website and it addresses exactly what you've just mentioned there, So hopefully people can go and have a look and understand how to hold those conversations and to be reassured that you know their friend or their family member does want to talk about their mum.
Speaker 5: And Danielle, last thing I wanted to ask you is what about those mums out there who who have had children themselves but are in that really precarious space between celebrating the fact that they're a mum, but then they are also simultaneously missing the mum that they have because their mum's passed away.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is really tricky for them, and we just say, you know, enjoy parts of the day, let your kids celebrate you, but also don't be scared or worried to let your kids know that you actually miss your mom and that's okay to show that emotion and share that with them, and to hold space for yourself and find something to do to on your mum throughout the day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh it's beautiful. It gets me.
Speaker 5: I just think, yeah, I think it must be so hard for some people who don't have their mums to lean on, especially when they're going through parenting themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're doing great stuff. Motherless Daughters Australia. Danielle Snelling, thank you so much for joining us on the Pickup. We loved having you.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 5: So Yesterday on the show, we did a segment where we were talking about the worst job interviews that you guys have ever been to. And I was not expecting to get as many calls and as many messages, but overnight we received so many messages to the pick Up dms.
Speaker 3: Because there there's some truly horrific.
Speaker 4: Employees out there in a bad job interview.
Speaker 3: You've never been to a bad job interview? Really, you're in, You're right.
Speaker 2: I had a shocking trial once at a fancy dress shop. I had to do a week's trial and by the end she was like Mitch. I said, how did I go?
Speaker 3: And she's like Mitch.
Speaker 2: To be honest, she put Rose from Titanic in the Elizabethan area, and then you also put et in the medieval catalog.
Speaker 3: You're not coming back. I had a shocking period.
Speaker 6: I like that.
Speaker 3: That was the worst thing that you've done. Okay, well some of the things.
Speaker 5: The one the woman who we were speaking about yesterday, she she was going for a job as a as a school ambassador right at the university, and she got asked to get down on her hands and knees and move like a cow.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, you cannot say I want to test if you're fun at a university by making somebody, a woman get on her hands and knees and move like a cow.
Speaker 5: Usually you get people to do beer bongs at university. That's how you find out your phone.
Speaker 3: We also don't do that.
Speaker 2: The ambassador to farm life, I don't know because she's like a school ambassador.
Speaker 3: Was math positions?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 3: Well, some of the other ones we got on that wrote in.
Speaker 5: We had one woman write in and she said that at her very started the interview, she got asked what her.
Speaker 3: Star sign was, and then when she told her the star sign, she.
Speaker 5: Got accused of not being outgoing enough because it didn't match her star sign.
Speaker 3: Rubbish.
Speaker 5: Another question was, and this one's pretty bad, the very first question when she sat down was are you planning to get pregnant anytime soon?
Speaker 3: Oh? Whose business? Can't ask that? Of course you can't. It's actually illegal, you cannot. This is just making me mad. Okay, well, I reckon.
Speaker 2: We've got a few more shocking people have called on thirteen one or six five? Dave, Hello, mate, So what's your bad interview story?
Speaker 8: I'm an account and by trade. So I was sitting in the boardroom with in an interview with the managing director of this FERM. Then yeah, the door flying open from one of the doors connecting to the boardroom, and he just looks at her and says, can't you say I'm in an interview here? She's the employee. Shops stands still and stand and he just goes off.
Speaker 3: He told her to f off in the middle of your interview.
Speaker 4: Yep, Oh my god, doesn't that make you just want to walk right out?
Speaker 3: Did you take the job?
Speaker 5: Wait?
Speaker 3: You're not working for them now, are you?
Speaker 8: No? Definitely not.
Speaker 3: He's like, great benefits. I had to do it, guys, Pozzi leaves.
Speaker 5: You know, I imagine working for someone who feels okay with telling an employee to f off in the middle of an interview.
Speaker 2: Not how you want to start your relationship like it's only I'm Jordan on thirteen when I was sixty five. He Jordan, was your story?
Speaker 3: Hello?
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, I peed myself right before going into my job interview, and I wasn't wearing underwear.
Speaker 3: Sorry you what? You wet yourselfself?
Speaker 1: So it was a spring afternoon in Melbourne. I had no control. I was stabbing on the side of the road. It's out to walk him and I for some reason decided that day that it was a day that I wouldn't be very underwear with no girt.
Speaker 5: Can I wearing no underwear to job interview is risking itself?
Speaker 3: Why are you feeling so brazen? No, I don't think I understand. And she had no unders on for a job.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Jordan, I missed the knees part and I thought you just said it was a beautiful witch summer's day.
Speaker 3: So I wet myself and I was like, am I missing something? Yeah? Oh was barmy out and I decided to wet my paint. I'm going to say rogue. I think I think a little dribble is better than a full on fart. No, No, it is because you can't smell with you. You don't know what's happening. Was your was your skirt?
Speaker 5: Was it one of those you know, like some fabrics is just more forgiving than others. Like I'm wearing black pants. No one would know if I've wet myself today, but if you wear in a satin skirt, everyone's gonna know.
Speaker 1: Oh it was like an eelink skirt. And I had to bline it to your Starbucks to get myself sorted and the interview did you get the job?
Speaker 5: I did?
Speaker 4: He felt sorry for me for wearing your pants. He's like, let's give it the job.
Speaker 3: That's funny. But do you wear undies regularly?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: Every day of my life apart from that one particular, it's.
Speaker 5: Such an it's such an interesting day to choose not to wear underwear, but you know what you go, you do you.
Speaker 1: I didn't want underwear lines, so it was logical at that point, But I don't know if.
Speaker 3: That's what your boss is looking at? What ladies? Do you guys?
Speaker 4: I almost forgot undies today and I have a skirt on and I was like, something doesn't feel right and I've put them on. Do you guys know that I saw just yesterday there are these new very expensive jeans that have been released.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you've seen them.
Speaker 4: And the style of jean, like the wash of gene, is to look like you wear your saw them fashion week.
Speaker 3: It just got launched jeans that look looks like you've wet yourself. The whole point is do you think it's a design floor? Do you think it's actually it's a design choice.
Speaker 5: I guess I'm going to be in fashion then me and my terrible You've got a milan.
Speaker 3: Everyone is weighing themselves.
Speaker 5: Yeah, babes come down to Bonti doing it there as well, mums and.
Speaker 3: Bubbs, class transitter. It is time for this.
Speaker 2: Let's give some money away to spend a Targets. Target is made for Mother's Day shopping store online or buy the Target app.
Speaker 3: We have the Great Mother's Day Quiz.
Speaker 2: We need the children of Australia to call through and we're going to quizz you on facts about your mum. Here's how it works. Right, one question right, one hundred bucks to spend a Target. Two questions right, two hundred five hundred bucks. Actually were screw it?
Speaker 3: You know what if they get a change it today to spend it target. Do you know what?
Speaker 5: The kids have done very well this week? The kids have done exceptionally well so far. Let's hope it is broke. I know, let's hope the days. I mean, whoever we have on the call today, Well, Britt, you've.
Speaker 3: Got it right. You know the kids.
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: Do you know who's on?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got Nadia and Hideka. Nadia is the mom, Heidi is the daughter. Oh hello, let's shout out hello Nadia.
Speaker 6: Hello, I kind of on radio before I sound.
Speaker 3: We have a live rating counter and they're going through the roof. People love you. Hey Nadia. Do you think Heidi is going to nail this or what?
Speaker 6: Oh? Look, she's my eldest and she knows me well, she's quite shy.
Speaker 1: So I've told her she needs to talk up speak wants.
Speaker 5: I think it makes sense to go for the oldest as well. Right, it's usually the oldest kid who's the most organized and the most perceptive. Like it's usually the middle. It kind of goes down the rings after that, brains more developed. Is a middle child though I know nothing, but hold.
Speaker 2: On, He's probably the only one that can answer, Yeah, how old is your eldest eleven.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's good to hear, Nadia. Do you want to pop Heidi on? It's probably the cat?
Speaker 6: Hi?
Speaker 3: Hi, Heidi? Hey, Hidi?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 3: How old are you?
Speaker 1: Heidi?
Speaker 8: Hi?
Speaker 2: Eleven?
Speaker 3: Okay? Do you think you know your mom pretty well? I think so, Hey, Heidi.
Speaker 5: My favorite thing about asking all the kids we've been speaking to this week is what's the thing you like the most about your mum?
Speaker 6: Her fashion sense?
Speaker 3: Oh? I love that.
Speaker 4: She could get some new clothes with this money.
Speaker 2: What do you think your mom would spend the one thousand dollars on? Let you know her better than anyone else. Like, if Nadia had a thousand bucks, where would she spend it?
Speaker 6: Probably on clothes?
Speaker 3: Yes, the fashion queen. Well, we've got a sort of don't we. All right, all right, Nadia.
Speaker 5: Let this let's kick start this.
Speaker 3: This is a tough one. How old is your mom?
Speaker 1: Thirty seven?
Speaker 3: Oh? There was a lot of confident in that. Let me just check my computer.
Speaker 4: Details correct, all right?
Speaker 3: One hundred dollars? All right? Okay?
Speaker 5: Question number two for five hundred dollars to spend a target? What is your mum's favorite animal?
Speaker 6: A cat? Oh?
Speaker 3: Check?
Speaker 2: You better check it loves.
Speaker 3: A k Okay, five hundred dollars. Now we're going to going for the gold for a thousand.
Speaker 2: Bucks, right, Heidi? One thousand dollars to spend target. This would make much money your mum's mother's day. Think about all the closes. You can get so many calls. She could, and they're very affordable targets. She could get into wardrobe. Heidi, you're eleven years old. One thousand dollars to spend a target on the line. Question three?
Speaker 3: What is your mother's favorite TV show?
Speaker 1: Charmed?
Speaker 3: Okay, what would be your mum's favorite TV show if it wasn't Charmed. Let's give you one more chance, the Real House. I said it. You've got a thousand dollars to spend a target? Heidi?
Speaker 7: How do you feel?
Speaker 3: How did you? I'm feel?
Speaker 6: She was sweating so much.
Speaker 3: She did so good? Well she didn't, actually she did okay, but we got it there in the end. She did the wrong answer on question three. Yeah, you're like, I haven't give you I've watched Charming years, no nading. She did so so good.
Speaker 5: Okay, what are you going to get for yourself with that thousand dollars?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: I don't know, like, yeah, well, I.
Speaker 1: Mean got a out of stuff.
Speaker 3: Like you do in five minutes. Farty doesn't know you, well then doesn't she.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so exciting. One thousand dollars to spend at Target this Mother's Day. They're made for Mother's Day at Target, a shopping store, online or via the Target app.
Speaker 3: Great way to end the show too, We'll see you all to morrow. The bars guys