Speaker 1: Quest. Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: Sometimes something will happen and I feel like this is another moment as I gradually merge inside into becoming incrementally Australian. I felt like the new one. Recently, so I came face to face with a Huntsman spider. Now, we don't have any deadly animals in the UK, right there's a thing good, a grass snake where you might get some mild chafing, whereas here snakes things in the water. There's a lot of deadly animals and of course spiders. Now Huntsmen spiders. I know they're not poisonous, but I'm telling you when I saw this thing, it's scared the hell.
Speaker 3: Open and they look terrified. They're actually the friendly one.
Speaker 2: And I was staying in a hotel right by myself and I ran. My wife went, there is a bloody great huntsman and it's under the bed. And she went, oh, Christian's call reception, get them. I said, I'd rather be attacked and die from it the core reception. I'm the most this person Australia right now, can you come and help me get rid of a friendly spider? From under the bed. Plus the girl who was on reception was about nineteen. So for three days I shared this hotel room with this Huntsman spider and he kept coming out from under the bed, and then as I got near it to try and kid myself and him that I was going to remove him, he would just go back under the bed. So I never slept very well because any moment, you know, when you once you're aware of something, you become hyper vigilant, don't you. In the night, no, I turn all the lights on and go he's toying with me. Now I know he was on my face. Where is he? And I was getting down the floor looking under the bed. He's on something right now, he's going to drop on me. So today on the show, I want to know, you're not on Australian until what do you think are the key quintessential things that go up actually becoming an Australian for me coming face to face with a Huntsman spider. Well, and there's another one that happened of the week after I saw a photo of this. But you said, Caitlin, what have you got set up in your backyard?
Speaker 4: I have a rip a few five inch TV on a bracket outside swivel so I can have it.
Speaker 2: At any TV is not only Australian, but bogan Australian.
Speaker 3: I saw photos of your barbecue Grand Final barbecue and it looks so glaar Did you even see what was going on?
Speaker 4: No, you can actually change the setting, so the picture writer, so it's yeah, there's another setting that's like, you could go cinema day, cinnamon night sports.
Speaker 2: And who needs to put the team into sportsports? You know what? This Grand Fire is not sports enough for me. The Swams could have done with that mode themselves. You put it into small mode that is. Yeah, that's a classic one. If you're not in Australia until you have a backyard TV.
Speaker 4: It was a ripper and I grew up with one. It's anyone that I knew growing up in Queensland had one in their backyard. You can't beat it.
Speaker 2: And why is it? Why do you need outside and they can't just go inside.
Speaker 4: Because the weather's like a beautiful and you will sit out there and have barbecues and the kids run around the backyard.
Speaker 2: The TV not torture each others on in a minute, Remember as well, how big her backyard is.
Speaker 3: Remember when you moved house. She kept going, Oh, my backyard so big, so big, bigger than the house backus, bigger than the whole house.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like another entertainment area.
Speaker 5: It's an outdoor room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Patsy, what do you think You're not an Australian until well.
Speaker 5: You talk about wildlife. Growing up, we had a family of goannas living in our backyard tree, this hollowed out tree. And I'm not kidding, you're not going to believe me, but this goanna once came up on our back veranda. It was like six foot long. It was huge. It was like a coo dragon. It was massive. And then another time we had a family of tiger snakes under our house.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you're kidding under our house?
Speaker 5: Ye deadly, Yeah, of course it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I remember going out to get on my bike one one afternoon and there was like little snakes. It had had babies.
Speaker 3: Photo and so they lived in Queensland. They had one of those goings. And she's not lying about beIN six foot Really it was on the screen, the backscreen door holding on so they were taking him from inside the house and it was on the other side of the screen.
Speaker 2: That Jurassic Park.
Speaker 5: Really they're massive and this thing used to We're on like acreage and it'd run across the back. It was massive. It was totally like a Dinasa.
Speaker 3: You can ride it.
Speaker 1: The Christian Connall Show podcast.
Speaker 2: You're not Australian until Christian and Australian until you've been yabbying with a piece of string.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yes, a bit of beef luncheon on the end of the only time I ever caught a yaby was it with the meat on the end. You just got tangled in that string.
Speaker 2: You're not an Australian until you blow a plugger walking to the bottle shop. Great, thinks you've got to warn of boots to the supermarket for mark. You're not Australian until you've scrapped something down to a trailer and then said that's not going anywhere. Jason, I've recently done this, so I think it's another milestone towards becoming Australian. You've offered a six pack or a case of hera's payment for something, definitely, Allison. Yeah, You're not Australian until you've had fairy bread with thick, very thick layer of butter for Joey you've had to wait for a kidnap kangaroo, or similar to cross the road for Sarah, you find yourself saying yet nah Menonie. You're not an Australian until you point to someone you don't like and then say there's your mate, Shane. You've signed the corner response to the Angels. Am I ever going to see your face again? Megan? You walk barefoot in the street.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: You're not Australian until you tell flies to f off. Christian Chris, You're not Australian until you ask someone how they're going and then have absolutely no interest in their answer. Sonia, I don't think that is Australia. I actually think you're a lot more polite. That's a very English kind of thing to do. But I actually don't think you do do that here High Gold FM. I am twelve and I believe you're not Australian till you have veggimie on toast. That's from Georgie Christian an Australian tool. You've said she'll be right when you know in fact she will not be right. You're not Australian to you've been to a party with the bath tub is full of ice for all the bring your own booze there. That's from Sue.
Speaker 1: Morning Julie. Yep, you're not Australian until you've been swooped by a magpie.
Speaker 2: You're right. Time of the year, isn't it. Yeah, moment the Grand Final is over, the magpies come out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, terrifying beforehand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my boy got swooping. He probably he's first swooping. Oh no, awakened.
Speaker 2: Was he scared?
Speaker 3: No, he wasn't. He wouldn't and he wouldn't move away from the area.
Speaker 2: Key lesson, Julie. Thank you very much. You could have a good day you too.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Karen.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Karen.
Speaker 5: Good morning guys.
Speaker 2: Karen.
Speaker 1: You're not Australian until you've bade yourself in a regards.
Speaker 2: It's the matter where you are in the world.
Speaker 1: You spray, you're transported to your backyard in summer.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, Karen, thank you very much. She cool, Bye, guys. Karen sounded like she could do voiceover work. You know, they have that kind of older, more mature Australian voice. She sounds like she can I want to buy leone. Good morning, good ey, hell are you? I'm good now, Leoni? What do you think? You're not Australian.
Speaker 5: Australian until you've been bidden by a red back spider.
Speaker 3: Couldn't wait to get Most Australians haven't been bidden by red back spider?
Speaker 2: How they kill you?
Speaker 1: Yes, of course they have. Of course they have.
Speaker 2: Anyone on this team has been bitten by a spider.
Speaker 5: Dad has been bitten once.
Speaker 2: Yeahs. Most of stuff you say, I disregardless to ps it's not it is. Lifted him off his feet a three day NonStop fighting, butted you up into the air and out your gun boots is yet another one.
Speaker 5: No deak gop written on the leg once and he's still got the scar on the bottom of his leg.
Speaker 3: Aren't they lethal? I thought he was.
Speaker 5: Very very very sick. Yeah, but obviously lived and then.
Speaker 1: Had me right?
Speaker 2: And what kind of spider was it?
Speaker 5: It was really yeah, baby one.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast