Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 2: Till the End of Time. This doesn't feel like the right song for us to introduce our special guest this morning. Carton coach Michael Voss, George Michael, father figure.
Speaker 3: It's not exactly what you've played in the change room.
Speaker 2: To play looking outside at the sunrise ag am I on a late night show, Late night love show. Michael Voss, thank you very much for coming in this morning.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure what sort of mood that got me in. Yeah, No, that's good being here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now, obviously we want to get you on. Obviously it's a good luck this season as well, amazing run last year and hopefully obviously better stuff for this year. And as you're a coach and a former player, we're doing this thing at the moment called Mini Motivators where we're getting kids to record these pump up speeches for their teams ahead of round one next week. So we thought you get in before you listen to some Does it make a difference right when a coach does a really inspirational speech, say you're it's a three quarters as you're losing, but you can win it back. Does can that turn a game around?
Speaker 4: My experience. Yes, it's not the only factor, but it is a factor. So sometimes where the really powerful ones come in is if they give a little bit of hope, they give a little bit belief hope knowing when when to use that. But then the other one is when you sort of need a kicking the button, you sort of need to be corrected a little bit and sort of men up a little and and sort of get on with the job. So I think the art of being able to do a good speech, if you want to call it, that, is actually knowing where the group is and what they need to be able to make a difference.
Speaker 2: And can you still yell now? Or is that like, hey, you know that it's a different time. Now, you yelling at anyone, you'll be on that You'll be a front page of the Herald son as a yeller.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, it's you can yell with your head. I'm just getting a bit nervous, don't yelling like that. Trying to remember one of my one of the ones I got when I was playing, I remember sitting at the end of the game, and so it wasn't necessarily on an inspirational speech. I clearly hadn't gone that well, and you know, back in the day, it was about sort of one on one because that's the only feedback that you got.
Speaker 3: Well, the coach would go around one on one.
Speaker 4: One on one, and so the bad ones of the character assassination so that you can raise your voice, but if it could becomes personal when you sort of probably stretches the line too far, but yeah, he sort of looked at me and said, you know, VOSSI, you promise a lot and you deliver very little. You come in here with your hat on backwards, looking at your muscles in the mirror, thinking you're pretty pretty good. You know. You make sure you train on Wednesday Sun. And I actually missed twelve weeks with the injure myself that day, so I wasn't.
Speaker 3: Feeling great about myself after no belief.
Speaker 2: Or hoping that's hot to move forward with.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't give me a lot of didn't give me a lot other than a real massive correction. So I had twelve weeks to think about it because I'd hurt my knee in that game and I actually got glandel fever through that period of time, so wonder so it took me about ten weeks to get over it. But look at it. It ultimately ended upheld me, but it took a little while to get over it.
Speaker 2: And so where are the sort of motivation for the team right now? Have you had those chats like in January about what you want visualizations and all the sort of mental process you can do now? Have you had those chats? Is it more about just getting ready for a round one next week and who you're playing?
Speaker 4: No, I think that it's never one particular conversation. I think it's a series of conversations that you need to have. But yeah, you set your ambition, so you have to have your hooks. I mean that's the important thing about about being able to deliver a good pre match or even during the season.
Speaker 2: What's a hook?
Speaker 4: Well, a hook could be just something like, you know, an ambition that we want to go after. It could be the reason why they play. It could be something something quite personal that they like, a bit of background of their own story, something about them saying about what they want to achieve. So there's a whole lot of levers that are out there that you can do.
Speaker 2: You have a do you have a You must need a hook as well, because it's a lot of pressure on you season.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, yeah, and that constant reminder around why you do things and why you wake up every day and have yourself judged freely every single day.
Speaker 3: So how do you remember whole team's hooks? Do you have like minila folders.
Speaker 2: With got I've got it, yeah, around your mirror in the morning on post it notes all the various players.
Speaker 4: I think my wife might be a little concerned if I've.
Speaker 2: Got a.
Speaker 3: Team members on the wall streams from.
Speaker 2: One to the other, and you got that baseball cap on back to front.
Speaker 4: Again, that's a special room that goes downstairs and it's under the it's under the under the sofa.
Speaker 2: Be Ceial Keller's lad. That's the players that don't play well. All right, We're going to take a break for the news when we come back with our guests this morning. Then super coach Michael Voss, he's to listen to the mini motivators. These are you super fans if you're under eighteen, recording your messages pump up speech for your team. So that's great ones to go through the Christian O'Connell show podcast. He begins next Thursday night. Many motivators. We're asking any kids super footy fans under eighteen to become a mini motivator and motivate your team. Record a message for them whenever we announcing the winner next Thursday, right on the eve of round one and the prizes are shoes shacky boy? What does the winner get?
Speaker 3: A family membership to their club and one thousand dollars to spend at the AFL store.
Speaker 2: Now, I especially guesterday, I just about to hear some of your entries. Is going its team are going to be opening up next next Thursday night? Is Michael Vosstrom? You've got another question about the box the coaches bonded.
Speaker 3: Yes, Andy Lee from Hamish and Andy Huge super I think you're aware of who he is, Huge Superman number one club. He's trying to I want you to debunk this for me. He's trying to convince us that he's he's gone for a coffee with you before he's even sat in the box during a game. He's trying to convince us that he's a unofficial coach of the Carlton Football Clubs. How much does he actually add behind the scenes.
Speaker 4: Well, I've I've always value his input. I just felt like in the coaches box. When he suggested that Jacob Wheder and go from full back to full forward is probably a bit much.
Speaker 3: Really thrown the mag around, so I said.
Speaker 4: And I said, look mate, yeah that's probably a bit too far. Let's just keep this real. And yeah, he's been he's been fantastic, he said, massive supporter.
Speaker 3: Yes, but I mean with the heaps of massive supporters him in the box. Keep the door locked.
Speaker 4: No, that's true. Now we do have we do have some people that do come in. And yeah, I remember I asked my dad to come in the first coach well, first game that I coached, and there sat in the coaches box and you're sitting right behind me. And then he didn't because he's normally he normally likes to barrack and get into it and behind you. Every now and then he would he would just give it a little murmuring and that's okay. It wasn't It wasn't too bad. And then I got out after the game. I said, as you go, Daddy, Gays. I am never sitting in the coaches box ever. Again, I hated it. It's the most intense environment I've ever bring in, he said, I couldn't. I needed to say something. I couldn't say anything.
Speaker 3: It's like a hit in there. You guys have got all those like red flashing lights when somebody's not running fast enough.
Speaker 2: Turnobyl. Is it about to go? Is it going to be?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: It looks so stressful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it looks like a bit of a mosh bit in there sometimes, but lots of data coming out. But the important thing is just a really simple So it's funny what the glass does to here. You have glass and you can sort of act what however you want. But then you go on the other side of the glass and you're all calm and normal. So I don't know why that happens. Everyone can still see you.
Speaker 2: Yeah we can't. We see you, see you throwing that little headset to the ground. All right, then, just have to listen to some of the we'd love your teat then about the impact you think on players for some of these messages from the mini motivator. Let's go all right, so this is Hudson and he's a Lions fan.
Speaker 5: Okay, lines, you can do this.
Speaker 1: You're the best team ever.
Speaker 5: You can win the flag, you can win the Cup, and you're the best team ever, the best, best best guy the lion.
Speaker 3: You would have heard that from Lee Matthews.
Speaker 4: Probably oversold the dream a little on that one, but now I liked it. It had passion. It was some passion.
Speaker 2: And then these are two brothers, mad North fans, their Bruce fans. Michael fourteen wrote this and gave it to his younger two of your brother Luke.
Speaker 1: Come on, Kangers, pull yourselves together. We've already lost one brother to another club due your average performances over the.
Speaker 3: Last three years.
Speaker 1: Where's that shim bona spirit gone? Come on, Cagers, new coach, new captains, new year, new attitude. Let's win that flag. As Almodo says, victory demands dedication, up the money.
Speaker 2: What do reckon all? That one?
Speaker 4: A bit of pain and pleasure in that current last year, and there was a little bit of both so to inspire. I didn't mind a little bit of a hook at the end. So no, there's there's plenty of passion in it.
Speaker 2: Again, this is young Ryland, who's eight pints fan. Sadly already.
Speaker 4: We're going to we need to train hard to get it.
Speaker 2: Last year.
Speaker 4: We didn't quite.
Speaker 5: Make it last year, but we're going to make it.
Speaker 1: Yes, maybe I'm playing harder in all your number ones.
Speaker 2: I love that. Maybe I don't know, play harder? Would it kill you?
Speaker 4: I didn't think it was. I didn't think it was a cute colling and supporter out there, But I don't think we just found one. But no, it's that's that's it's really really good. So I've gatined plenty of passion, but there's lots of cuteness. Can you not follow that? Yeahsiration, isn't it? Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Now we've got a young blues fan here? All right, so this could be someone who could be coming into your locker room. This is from Evelin, who's seven Bossy Famous.
Speaker 5: Okay, blue boys, we need to talk. Let's get real here. You know it, I know it. The last few years hasn't been your best, but now it's time to give it your all and make twenty twenty three the year we take out the finals.
Speaker 2: Go celting Bossy's tearing up.
Speaker 4: Wow, that level was brilliant. He just hit right in the heart, didn't he right there? So no, he was Obviously if we're talking about using the head and the heart, I think you just went straight for the heart. So no, very very inspiration, very personal for just nice little level. Didn't have to raise his voice there at all. Is just quite deliberate, nice execution.
Speaker 2: Okay, So have you got one bit of advice for kids then, because we've got another six days left on this. For the mini motivators, what is it? More passion?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Well, again, I think that the pitch and the tone and maybe the veriability of the tone can sometimes come into effect the passion. The little hooks. I like the a lock where they went with some of the hooks that they had there. So yeah, anythink that just makes it a little bit personal, a little bit relatable to the players always helps.
Speaker 2: Great. Okay, good luck next Thursday Night's one. Good luck this season. Thanks for company in Michael Voss loved it, Thank you very much. Stan. So you can't coach Michael Voss coming on the show. You can become a twenty twenty three can't remember today from as little as nine bucks a month. Visit cartonowseeed dot com dot au slash membership, or you can call thirteen hundred two two seven five eighty six to find the right package for you. The Christian O'Connell Show Podcast