Speaker 1: I Heart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can hear more Gold one I four point three podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app. Got anything good?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 1: This is the Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 2: June the fourth, twenty twenty five. The show began seven years ago twenty eighteen. Only pats and I remain Wow, the founding father and mother. So much has changed as I look around survey the kingdom around us now, Patsy, so many corpses and you have killed all of them are buried in It must the reign of terror.
Speaker 3: Must You're the hardest one to kill off found So you'll come for.
Speaker 1: Me one day never and it will be my destiny.
Speaker 2: I will bound down and say, finally, it will be a pleasure to be destroyed by the one and only radio killer, NonStop thriller Petrina Jones. Do you know actually there are in the studio right now that is this full of joy? It's like a Santa's grotto in here, and it's full of these beautiful cards that so many of our gorgeous listeners have taken the time to go in, right out and send. And what's magical is I'm reading all the messages and there's something really moving about handwriting because you don't see it these days. It's Texas emojis. It's easier, but it's also quite transactional. And actually, when you see someone's handwriting, it's like their voice.
Speaker 1: It's so unique to them.
Speaker 2: How they even spell my name or how they do their teas. It's different for all of us. And so there are so many beautiful cars we've got up around the studio today. Some of the people that have actually gone to the effort of sending these cars with these some beautiful messages and sharing in that are going to be called and receiving one of seven really big prizes. We have over twelve thousand dollars worth of prizes thanks to ians to give away today on our seventh birthday. Ian S were one of the first sponsors to actually believe that I would still be here more than a year. Rob from That was the first person I met about five weeks into the show. He took me up for lunch and he's become a great friend and support of the show ever since then. So it feels really great on seven years to actually be doing something Robin's team at Ianes. Some of these I must have said good morning to Pam. She's just messaged me and I'm glad she's clarified something. Christian, have a happy seventh birthday. Congratulations on creating an enjoyable show to listen to. I sent you the card, but I thought was a young Christian dreaming of being on the radio. Now, Pam, I did see that yesterday and he gotta be honest, it startled me. It looked like Christian who's had a serious car accident. So now I didn't save last night because I was worried that there was going to bomb under the car or something very From Pam. It was a threat like stop radio or this will happen. So you have a choice, Zippy. You've had almost seven good years.
Speaker 1: That's enough now. But Pam, I didn't realize that was young Christian. I'm dreaming of being on the radio. Look at him now, Yes, thank you very much. And I've got one here from Emily Hughes. She she made this beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a well, it's a three dimensional card. She's she's colored in and drawn the flag of Great Britain and the flag of Australia and she's created a podium with seven on it did Christian a team. Happy seventh birthday. My name is Emily Hughes. Do you remember in cars and that when you write to people you put your name in up from full name. Yeah, like a young rapper.
Speaker 1: My name is Emie Hughes. Don't you forget it?
Speaker 2: And then in a different ink, you know where they've looked back at the work she's putting in a different ink it eleven years old, bless there's two times. There's two stages of life where you mention your age and Emily's agent and very old people.
Speaker 1: When I'm seventy nine, I'm seventy nine. Old age mentioners. I used to call them, I'm seventy nine, you know, Emily Hughes eleven. Don't you forget about it?
Speaker 2: DJ coming at you so, Emily Hughes, thank you very much. Congratulations on being on air for so it is twenty seven years at the end of this year, you guys are our favorite radio station. You also have the best jokes in the world from Emily Hughes. Emily Hughes, that is a beautiful thing you've made there as well. And then one of the ones I've got so many questions about someone has sent a carden but they've put your face Patsy on a stamp. Oh like the Queen, Well it actually looked like a dictator slash tyrant to me, have a small aggressive country that's becoming the next rusher of like a mad tyrant who's threatening the world with a big laser.
Speaker 1: They are going to point at the moon and destroy all of us Storia, we'll call it. I don't know where.
Speaker 2: How do you get that's not legal though, is it? You can't just put your own photo on a stamp.
Speaker 3: You know you can go to oz post and get I think you can. I think they read a great idea.
Speaker 1: For Australian icons. You know, can Freeman, Dawn, Patrina drones first right? Just next?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would have to bring you in this stamp. But thank you very much Chayn who sent them in.
Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell show go on podcast.
Speaker 2: Good morning to Shane in Sydney. Thank you very much for joining the show in the last six months. In the days leading up to beginning my first radio show here in Australia, and you have to bear in mind I'd had the.
Speaker 1: Craziest two weeks.
Speaker 2: I literally eleven days before I started my radio career here in Australia. I'd finished a radio show that i'd done an Absolutely Love for twelve years in London, a radio show we had two and a half million listeners, and a lot of those listeners had come with me from my previous breakfast show that I'd done for five years. So for seventeen years I'd been someone's constant, and some of those listeners had gone from being forced to listen to me during the school run, to go into university, to meeting partners, getting married and now forcing their kids.
Speaker 1: So I've been through all these transitions in the life. So what it meant was.
Speaker 2: In the last couple of weeks of my show, I was getting this mass, mass outpouring of love from people that I've never met before, but you have met in a way. And so I went from that to the biggest pandulum swing you can ever have a knife to actually been hated within two weeks. I went from hero to zero within two chilling weeks. The other side of the world, where people literally had this feeling of like arms followed going no, no, now, God, he's English.
Speaker 1: As well, I don't know you, and what I do know about if she's really English. Note in the.
Speaker 2: Morning, No, not in the morning, maybe the afternoon maybe, or real late at night when I'm half asleep and I gonna even work out.
Speaker 1: Oh god, he's English. It's going back to me.
Speaker 2: It was a really violent swing, and a remain of that for an awful long time. But one by one people were so kind they unfolded arms and they start to give the show a go, and you welcome me into your life. And still without that over the last seven years, and increasingly the last couple of weeks, people are still coming to the show, and that thank you so much. We don't get to have this magical kind of My wife and I now in our fifties. This is an amazing second. I like to tell myself it's a second act or is it second? Say, let's say a second thund the corner.
Speaker 1: It's funny how when I said the final.
Speaker 2: Acts, I looked at Pats stop it that tyrant's face and a stamp is all I see as she stamps me. You know, like at the end of Inglorious guss a face carver.
Speaker 1: You know who the carver will be, Betwena Jones.
Speaker 3: It's amazing, though, what you've done Christian.
Speaker 2: And also I have to just say right, it's amazing the transformation and you, Patsy, as you're now launching your second season of this incredible podcast, as you're starting to stand in your own powers now outside of what we've done together on the show, is amazing. It brings me so much joy seeing the rise in you, Patsy, from where you were. I remember when I Chat was the first person I hired, and I said, I need a really good news reader. I've always worked with great news readers. And the boss here said, hey, there's this woman between a Jones and I think she could do so much more. And I remember to speak to Patsy and at the time, you're wearing these very big missus mangle glasses and I was like, she was actually incredibly intimidating.
Speaker 1: She just sat there. I was like, you having to be a big part of the shop.
Speaker 2: I got a good intentions already, don't make it in Australia, no'arning to be part of it.
Speaker 1: She sat there and she looked through me like I've heard it all before from people like you, and they're walking away going She's awesome but also genuine.
Speaker 2: I'm actually a bit frightened her. No, no, I did feel that, and I think I think that's actually a thing, and I still am.
Speaker 1: That is the relationships.
Speaker 2: You're awesome, Pats, and I'm slightly scared by you, like when you bowed in here a couple of weeks ago and pointed at me and went, if you got any feedback for me? Now intonation in life? Is there anything you can say? Soone, Hey, have you got any feedback for me?
Speaker 1: That's that's an invitation? Yes, you any feedback from me?
Speaker 2: No, I I never will.
Speaker 3: I remember our first interaction very very differently, and it was so refreshing. And I've never had this in radio where I didn't know what your expectations of me were other than obviously read the news and do it well. And I said to you, you know, I think I might have said, you know, what do you need from me or something? And you said something very simple, and I will never forget what you said. You said to me, I just need you to be yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it, And actually your journey of the last seven years, you'll be.
Speaker 1: More and more yourself on air.
Speaker 2: And I actually remember you're saying, please if you don't find something funny I say, don't laugh, And but to be fair, you've stayed aggressively true to that. Maybe just ease up just occasional once a month. But I remember saying to you, please don't because it's so hard for women in radio to forge a career. It's a lot easier for a guy. It just is stacked in our favor. So the fact that you'd even got to you know where you are past this says a lot just about how great you are. But I remember saying to you, please don't ever tell me what you think I need to hear yea.
Speaker 1: And then you went, well, what if it's awful, it's rude, And.
Speaker 2: I said, well, let me worry about that bit that we have a lot and those are some of my favorite bits. So the most shocking bits of the show don't come from me. They come from old mate and there retirerant on the stamp.
Speaker 3: But it is refreshing because as a woman, you are typecast on a lot of in radio, a lot in the past where it's like you need to be a laughing track or you need to be this, and I know that is the last thing you would want from me. So I want to thank you for helping me become find my voice really and also I've learned more about myself personally than I have I think is a brasiler in the last seven years. So thank you and celebrating you today because what you've managed to achieve in that time no one in the world has done. And I'm so proud of you as the whole team is, so thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Well, perhaps that's a lovely thing to say, and thank you for saying that, But we don't get to have the show if it isn't for the amazing the team that I've made over the seven years, the team right now, but also the people that have come over gone over the last seven years. But also Patsy, you are a massive part of whatever this show is.
Speaker 1: You're a huge part of that.
Speaker 2: So team, let's also now turn to Patsy and go well done as well. You had to put up with an awful lot for me sometimes, so thank you very much. All Right, we're going to take a break when we come back. That's enough sugary stuff. Christian, get on with the goddamn show. I Get what you want is coming up next.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show Podcast