Speaker 1: Paul, come on, hella, hella, god, it's Tuesday afternoon.
Speaker 2: I'll thanks to chemist weere house great savings every day. Heading I tell you.
Speaker 3: What, I have band aids on my feet. I've had to wear slippers to work. My legs are so sore psa. He asked me to lunch literally yesterday. He goes, hey, why don't we catch up the lunchhere? You joggers though, and I was like, where are my joggers to lunch? We literally did fifteen kilometers of walking. We walked for like four hours straight. Then just when I was like, can we sit down and get some water, He's like, let's quickly do one sprint of some scene.
Speaker 4: Are you joking?
Speaker 2: I'm in my you know, I'm nearly single, and last time we were talking on the air, I was depressed. Now I'm happy and I'm exercising.
Speaker 4: I don't want a kebab okay. I mean, I am to Mitch around for dinner recently, and he canceled on me last minute. So look, at least you're getting a walk in. At least you're geting something.
Speaker 2: Said. I have to bring I shaid, I have to bring my own chicken breast and I have to fry four kilos.
Speaker 4: Don't like because I said we're having pizza and you were like, oh, it's not real.
Speaker 2: You can't be tempted, and I let us leave. Cannot be tempted me my new era. Do I have protein breath? You do?
Speaker 3: Actually to kiss, protein shakes to work. I love this new Don't get me wrong. I love the new Mitch era.
Speaker 4: I love The issue is is though, if you go too hard, too quick, it's not sustainable Mitch. And that's my.
Speaker 2: Faure Michelle Bridges, here we go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is. Look, you know what, all fun aside, there's something I want to talk about that's quite serious on this show. Now. I read an article recently about the rise in homelessness that's happening across Australia. This is a rise in homelessness of the employed and this all links into the rental crisis that's happening. And we be speaking to a mother of two kids who's currently living in a caravan because this is what she's experiencing. Wow, it's really really full on.
Speaker 2: All right, that's on the way. It's a big pick up. Also, Taylor Swift, her Air as Well tour is coming to a. We have all your free Taylor Swift tickets coming up here on the show very soon. We've reserved an entire row for you and all your friends. It's on the way massive take me. Yeah, well it's on the big self. I'm taking myself. It is the pickup Tuesday afternoon. Britt, Laura and Mitch here right now. Head into chemist Warehouse. You'll get half price that's huge off the Nature's Own Vitamin range. It excludes both sizes of course, Chemist's Warehouse great savings every day.
Speaker 4: Now I have a bit of a change of pace for you guys today. We've heard so much recently about the rent increases and the rental crisis that's happening in Australia. But something that I don't think has had a lot of airtime, but is becoming more and more prolific, is the increase in homelessness across Australia. There's actually been an increase in people who are employed, who have jobs but cannot afford how much these rental rates and increases are affecting them.
Speaker 2: It's crazy that we're in a first world country like Australia and there are people that have full time jobs that can't afford to live.
Speaker 4: On the street, am alens. She's forty three years old, she has two children. She had a video that recently went viral where she was taking on sort of property investors saying, how is it possible that I have a job, that I run a business and I cannot afford the rent in my town that I live anymore? And she's been living in a caravan with her two kids because of this. We have Emma on the phone. Emma, welcome to the pickup.
Speaker 5: Hi guys, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Emma.
Speaker 3: Just tell us about how you ended up where you are now, how you ended up in the caravan.
Speaker 5: I moved here from Sydney five years ago. Raised in Sydney, grew up in Creanulla, went to a nice Catholic girls' school, did all the right things in life. As I got otter, became a single parent. So I was renting in Sydney and renting as a single parent, you know, it's really expensive, and I did the smart thing and moved to the country for cheaper housing, and so did half of the single parents in the country. I think. So what's happened now is that all of us that came out here for cheaper housing. We've caused the rental crisis out here. There is no cheaper housing lift. I moved here five years ago and there was over sixty houses available online for about two fifty a week, so I thought I'd be okay. And in the last eighteen months to two years, half of Australia sort of moved out to the regions and there's no houses left. Now. When I go and look for a rental, I might be up against you know, two three hundred other people. And if your income is less than about sixty seventy grand a year, the real estate agents were just throw applications in the bin you wanted to get through to speaking to the landlord. So you've got to have money to get a rental now. And you know, as I keep saying, my TikTok, I've paid half a million dollars in rent on my own in the last twenty years. And I've been denied home loans only many times. But if I hadn't been allowed to get one, I wouldn't be in this position. I would have had equity. I would have had that half a million dollars. I would have had a house to sell. I could have rented a room out, the more roofless it gets, like, the more competition there is for the low income and for houses, the crueler the conditions are, and they're crueler the real estate agents are becoming. Like my last rental, every single blind was broken, every single door handle was broken. When from two sixty a week, keep that person out, put me in at four twenty. Yeah, and I would say, can we get the blind fixcuse we just want to open and close the blinds, and the real estate would say, no, if you don't like it, leave And they kept my whole bond. Yeah, they kept my whole bond when I left two and their real estates. Now, what I've noticed from my last two rentals is they just keep bond. It's like because you have to fight it, so they're just going to keep your bond.
Speaker 4: And how did it turn out that you're now in a caravan at the moment we got.
Speaker 5: Well, I rented two rooms off a lady in town that she's on her own in the five bedroom house. But after about three or four weeks she kicked us out. I was going to go and sleep. I'm a real five brigade volunteer and I was going to go and sleep in my fire shed, and I had some raise kids down to their dads, and my brigade officer said, no, you can't sleep in the shed. Just come here and we'll sort something out for you. And so there was about a month where I just didn't know what I was going to do, and I put it out online and another couple in town have loaned me a caravan. So obviously I can't go back to renting now because even if I could get a rental and pay three fifty four hundred dollars a week, which it's sort of they've gone up to about five and six hundred now here, you only get a six month lease. So I can't live like that. Like I can't live and only get six monthly. Is not knowing what the price is going to be in six months from now.
Speaker 4: And how are your kids coping?
Speaker 2: And all this?
Speaker 5: They deserve a lot better. I break my heart. I am that money I spent on rent that was my kid's future. You know, I could have paid for junior university educations out of that, you know. Now where yeah, living in this caravan and this is what, like my friends have said, I could go fund me because we don't have running water in this caravan and it's very old. It's about forty five years old and it has been leaking throughout the last twelve years. So I've been fixing it up for the owners. But my daughter really struggled because I was going to rent it woom and moved into the house with the lady. She was like, why can't we just have her own house? Why do we have to live with someone else? And she couldn't understand that there was and rentals available and that if you're on a single income, the real estates are going to gate keep and not let you apply for houses, like they just laugh at you.
Speaker 4: You know, it's a basic human right. Sorry, I'm really upsetting. It's a basic human to have.
Speaker 3: I kind of talk sorry just to have water and I don't even have water, and I'm so sorry.
Speaker 5: Thank you. It is hard. Yeah, And my kids are really smart, you know, and they're brilliant school and stuff, and they don't understand. They think that I don't know, maybe that I did something wrong or that if other people, like if their other friends have houses, why doesn't mum? But lately, what's up in here? Like it's really really bad in the regions. Like everyone that says moved to the country for cheaper housing, it is the worst thing you could do for the people that are already out here that are really low socioeconomic There's a massive age population and disability population here, and those are all the people that have been pushed out by all this sort of house grabbing. Like there was so many houses to sail out here before COVID, Now there's none, and they've all been booked like unseen, you know, by people that can afford to invest in. So the tenants have been pushed out and all we've got left to go is sort of a tent in the outback. And so my daughter is having you know, there are a lot more kids around here that are homeless. I've been helping out with about four other kids that are bouncing between homes. So these are the kind of people that are out here that are being pushed out into homelessness.
Speaker 3: Well, I think there's also and there's a whole other issue here that I think people need to unpack as well, and that is you're being robbed by the real estate. Apart from that, like you go and pay your rent and do what you do they don't help you, and then they take your bond. I'm sorry, that's theft, and they're taking advantage of somebody in a situation, a vulnerable situation.
Speaker 2: Listen, if you want to, Emma, what's your TikTok? Give your TikTok a little plug if people want to, you know.
Speaker 5: Go, my TikTok is mind of the midnight Sun, my little midnight Sun.
Speaker 2: All right, you can follow him's journey. Listen. Love to you from all of us here at the pickup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're doing a great job, king.
Speaker 5: Thank you, guys. I really appreciate you bringing awareness to this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anytime. I mean it's crazy. I mean listen, the number of people without a home rose by five point two percent over the last five years, like it's a country wide pandemic.
Speaker 4: And something else to keep in mind is that nearly half of those currently seeking Australian homelessness charities have jobs. And it's the reason why they're homeless is because of the rent increases.
Speaker 3: Nobody should have nowhere to go. And when you're at your most vulnerable, people are still stealing from you.
Speaker 4: On top of that, three hundred.
Speaker 3: People are being turned away a day from homelessness services a day in Australia. So people that are actually trying to go and get help, they're working, they're doing all the right things, and it's.
Speaker 4: Still not enough.
Speaker 2: Tuesday on the Pickup Britt, Laura and Mitchier thanks to Chemists Warehouse heading today great savings every day.
Speaker 3: I'm going to tell you guys something that's happened to me recently. It was very embarrassing. I wasn't ever going to repeat this story now.
Speaker 2: Because it's just going to you know what.
Speaker 3: I wasn't embarrassed, that's not it. I don't really get embarrassed. It's just disgusting and I did it to myself.
Speaker 2: So I'm just I'm just gonna out mysage. This is the story about why you've got pink eye today and you haven't any of us.
Speaker 3: So we did just get back from holiday a week ago and I did go to Bali with my partner Ben, and this one day we're in this beautiful like I usually just get the ten dollar massage on the street, you know, how you walk down, You're.
Speaker 4: Like this will do you just go anywhere?
Speaker 3: Right, But this one day I was like, let's go really lush.
Speaker 4: So in this.
Speaker 3: Beautiful, beautiful spa. And before we went in, you know, I'm talking like everything smelt great. It was crisp, it was clean, it was wonderful. They were waiting for us, and I was like, I just need.
Speaker 2: To duck to the bathroom.
Speaker 3: So I go to the toilet in this beautiful spy and it's it's tiny. It's just like all you can fit in there is. So you walk in and I could almost not close the door. Right and to my right was the toilet. Straight in front of me was the wall, and then to my left was the sink. So you could not swing a cat in there. Really really small. I went to the bathroom. I got up, and you know how all the toilets have different flushes in like summer. Some are on the side, some are on the top, like flushes everywhere, some are foot pedals, like it's always different, right, So I see the flush on the side across the other side to me, So I lean across the toilet and I pressed my hands down and I'm leaning my body across the toilet and this tiny thing. Then I'm holding it down because nothing really happens at the start, and then I hear this and I looked to my right, and I couldn't quite stop it from happening. This little tiny straw that started to come out from the back of the toilet. It was a straw I came from back the toilet.
Speaker 2: I was looking directly at it, and I was like, and it was it was emerging. I was like, what's happening?
Speaker 3: And then the most forceful bedet spray you have ever seen the dayed out into my eyeballs, into my face, and I couldn't.
Speaker 2: Turn it off.
Speaker 4: It was a string that was so powerful. It's like nothing I've experienced before in my anyway it would have turnihed your backside. I got pushed.
Speaker 3: It was like a fire hydrant.
Speaker 4: I got pushed to the back of the room.
Speaker 2: I was still gone by the straw.
Speaker 4: I couldn't turn it off.
Speaker 2: I couldn't turn it off.
Speaker 3: The only way to turn it off was to fight back to the day and turn it off anyway. Of course, there was no paper towers left, so I'm trying to like wipe it onto my leggings. I walk outside and it's like, what.
Speaker 4: Happened in their way? I was like, I'm clummy, that's it.
Speaker 3: Didn't tell him what had happened to this day. This is the first person I've told about it.
Speaker 4: Wow, I got Bidete. You had a facial before you went and had a massage Barley toilet water?
Speaker 3: Wait?
Speaker 2: Was that the spa treatment? Did you just go home after that? Is that what you paid for? Yeah? That was it.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm so glowy.
Speaker 2: Ah, my god, Britt, that is why you've got pink eye. She's got a pink, fungy eye.
Speaker 4: You know what it probably is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's literally toilet water.
Speaker 2: And when if you go to Barley, they go, don't drink the water in Barley bathe my face in it.
Speaker 4: It's okay, so.
Speaker 2: Good, All right, next time on the show, I've got an update on my new living situation.
Speaker 4: Oh how is it back in the Palace Staturi?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I've moved back in with my parents.
Speaker 4: Has he ever?
Speaker 2: I'm nearly single. I'm in a new era. And let me tell you I've got rave reviews coming up next. You're gonna love it. Here at the pickup. It is the pick Up Tuesday, Britt, Laura and meet here. Hey, rush into chemist Warehouse. You'll get half priced off the Nature's Own Vitamin range. It excludes box sizes, chemist warehouse, great savings every day. Hey had a little break, a little holiday. But as you know, during that time off, I moved back in with my mum and dad, my parents. I'm home.
Speaker 3: I do know this because I experienced it for myself on the weekend.
Speaker 2: Yes, but it came over like.
Speaker 3: Nothing you've ever seen. I was one foot in the door and there were four pictures just of Mitch and his awards lined up. He already hung them on the wall himself, just him and his awards.
Speaker 2: Oh no, Mum and Dad have done that, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: I took two more steps into the living room. They have this beautiful living room and smack bang in the middle of it is Mitch's floral pink the lure chair. In the middle of the living room. You have taken over that poor house.
Speaker 2: I've moved in with my parents. I broke up with my partner of five years. I needed some R and R. I've moved back in with mum and dad and I've got to put my stuff somewhere. And it's good. I'm enjoying it.
Speaker 4: How has it been so far? How have your parents reacted to having a bit of mitched back in the house.
Speaker 2: Okay, So seriously, I think they're loving it. I know they're loving it. We're all having fun. I get along with my mom and dad like I'm very lucky. My little sister Rachel's there too.
Speaker 4: I do not believe that they're loving it. Absolutely not.
Speaker 2: No, they are loving it. There's actually nothing to report on. Like I fit in. I pay for the groceries that I need, like the big ticket items in the grocery.
Speaker 4: Tell me what's a big ticket item?
Speaker 2: I pay for my toothpaste and my deodorant seven dollars. I was a bird, a sparrow with a bruised wing, and my parents scooped me up and put me back in the nest to heal. You are a spoiled for a few months.
Speaker 4: I mean, we spoke to your mum recently and she said that she was thinking about making you pay a bit of board, you know eventually. Yeah, she was like, how long do you reckon? You're going to stay there with your mum?
Speaker 2: Your dad, no, bored, I'll be there six months.
Speaker 4: Just poor dad.
Speaker 3: He's like a big ceo.
Speaker 4: Right we walked in.
Speaker 3: He was on this super important Zoom meeting.
Speaker 4: Mitch just goes puts.
Speaker 3: His protein in the blender. He's like causing all sorts of boiling eggs, the microwaves going.
Speaker 2: It's wild.
Speaker 4: They can't be happy to have you there.
Speaker 2: They love to do you know what. I knew this is exactly where you were going to take it. I knew you'd you'd rag on me. You think that I'd ruin the family home. No, it's not the case. I've got the patriarch of the family Marjury here on the line to back me up.
Speaker 6: Dad.
Speaker 2: You love having me home, don't you a high mark?
Speaker 6: Hi? Guys, I don't know what to say. Do I tell the truth or don't I true? Dad?
Speaker 2: I preped you on this. Say what I told you, Yes, say what we spoke about.
Speaker 6: Okay, Look, I won't be emotional, I'll be factual. After Mitchell moved in, we'd only had a meeting with our financial planner, planning at our retirement plans the next five years, and he gave us a strict budget. And as soon as Mitch moved in, Oh god, ship, bloody hell well number one number one, I had to get a plumber in within five days to clear out the sewerage.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry you block the pipes were blocked before I got there.
Speaker 3: I do not believe that you know why you're doing big poops because you're eating them out of house at home.
Speaker 4: I know that's what flushy.
Speaker 2: That's not my foot wet wipes. I have a very sensitive butt region. What else is he?
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, Mitchell? Then the plumber. Forget the plumber, the carpenter. I had to get the carpenter in Mitchell's got about forty suits and they don't fit in the wardrobe. So we had to find a cavity under the stairs, and we had to get a carpetenter to remodel it to bloody carry after go with me, after I've beat the bunning three times to buy different body hanging racks at all collapse.
Speaker 4: You've customized a wardrobe for your grown side.
Speaker 2: They built me a custom wardrobe, but under the stairs it was dead space.
Speaker 4: How much did this cost to customize a wardrobe?
Speaker 6: Two hundred for the carpenter. But what about the other stuff I reckon? Two hundred of things I threw out from bunnies. It wouldn't take the weight of all the bloody suits.
Speaker 2: This is not how this was supposed to go.
Speaker 4: Okay, what about food?
Speaker 3: And why don't I mean, I'm only assuming which can consume some food.
Speaker 4: Why you'd let me off that one?
Speaker 6: He just has the most exotic taste. It's really it's it gets It's Italian, bloody salami. Shit, that's so expensive, island cheese. Everything's ten dollars a packet.
Speaker 4: You know what he's doing.
Speaker 3: He's just capitalizing because you don't have to pay. Every time we go out to lunch and I say it's on me, he gets all the most expensive stuff.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, Mitch, because I know we had an agreement, but I can't lie, not to the girls.
Speaker 4: Mark, we love Mitch. How long do you reckon you're going to have him living.
Speaker 2: Back in the house.
Speaker 6: I want to stay marriage, so i'd say six months exactly.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Mark, what's the overall if you had to give him a tenant score?
Speaker 4: What are we giving him?
Speaker 3: This is bullshitting you suppose this debate doesn't involve you.
Speaker 6: What are you giving him eight and a half because I love him?
Speaker 2: Oh now let's rap it on that note.
Speaker 4: Now let's give us the real one. Mak Yeah, it gives as an impartial tenant if he wasn't his son.
Speaker 2: Don't that's bullshit. Oh, You've got to get out of there, and I'm going to tribuneal dad said, tonight, what's uncle good for dinner? Please?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Care on steak?
Speaker 2: I hope so love your dad. Thanks. Yeah, he did not stick to plan. I prepped him and said just say, I'm really on fine.
Speaker 4: He can't lie to us, which we know.
Speaker 2: You all right, let's go. I'm in two. That's ridiculous. If you if you missed any of the show, you can podcast it. Search the pickup on iHeartRadio. We'll see tomorrow. Don't forget when cold and flu strikes, Demezon gets it done. Always follow the directions for use up. Next to's the boys?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Will and what are you going to be driving your home?
Speaker 2: What's on the show?
Speaker 4: Boys?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: We are back here at Will and Woody, a four hundred meters pram race for dads.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, I think I'm the fastest man over four hundred pushing a pram. Today we find out the first celebrity who was also going to be trying to take me on Wilburgh.
Speaker 7: Yes, and speaking of celebrities, I'm sure they'll all be quite big. Genuine A grader has reached out genuine a grader from overseas because they want to play.
Speaker 2: Can you hear it? And we might.
Speaker 7: We've got to be revealing who that is this afternoon.
Speaker 2: Good question. You have to find out in a couple of minutes.
Speaker 3: You dog God, you've got me.
Speaker 4: Sounds like a goop out. Alright, guys, see you tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Bye,