Speaker 1: I'm always always, sir.
Speaker 2: Be careful, love those u bo let We'll use your head. They will tear you up. Lack a purple talk.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah yeah, oh no no no.
Speaker 5: Hi.
Speaker 3: I'm Amanda and I'm Rumby.
Speaker 2: Welcome to It's lay It.
Speaker 3: We're in a long distance friendship that started over twenty years ago when we were in high school.
Speaker 4: We'll be talking about all things life, love, family, anything and everything else under the sun.
Speaker 3: Delve deeper with us because in life, you know my layers. Oh no, no, no, yeah, yeah, yeah, Hello everybody, and welcome to another episode of It's Layered. And today we have a very very special guest. We're really hyped to have her on here for any of you. Okay, let me do that. Bye, I'm getting getting ahead of myself, getting ahead of myself. But we have Sorel Madia. On social media, you may know her as co co Sorel, and she is a content creator. Content about her hilarious dating antics continues to be a viral hit for her cross both TikTok and Instagram, such as her iconic Love Island UK debrief videos. If you haven't seen them, you should check them out.
Speaker 2: Even one five Island to you, Brauh.
Speaker 3: It has gone out over three million views. She's a trained actor. Okay, give her flowers. Serral is now also finding success as a presenter, interviewing and hosting at the UK premiere of Wakanda Forever Black Panther, hosting the TikTok End of Year twenty twenty two party, and leading a panel interviewing the stars of the amazing movie The Woman King at the premiere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have seen your working many red carpis looking amazing by the way, most notably as the BFI That's the British Film Institute Film Festival, Disney's Light Year premier and Sony's Bullet Train. In twenty twenty two, Sorell You starred in a one woman play Give This Woman the Flowers, called Funeral Flowers by Emma Dennis Edwards, which appeared across venues across the UK include the Nottingham Playhouse and the Liverpool Everyman. We welcome you to our podcast. We're so excited, Sarah, so happy to have you.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited to be here. Oh my goodness.
Speaker 6: Like guys, I'm I just you know, when you talk to other like zim women, I'm like, this is what it's about. Like when you guys emailed, I can't tell you how much I screamed.
Speaker 1: Because our industry laps, we need more, we need.
Speaker 6: More creatives from my background, Like you know, it's just so when when I find them, I'm like, I'm grabbing on and I'm not letting guys.
Speaker 1: Sorry, love this whole.
Speaker 3: Around, Like yeah, definitely, Well we cracked the mics like it was.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 3: So we're wholeheartedly thankful that you could be here. And you know, let's back before we get too hype, let's backtrack a little bits, take them back, and could you tell us a little bit about how your journey towards being a content creator, influencer actress came about. Can you tell us you know a little bit about that.
Speaker 6: I would say I've always known I was a creative, and I grew up in a house where my parents didn't quite understand that, and especially during like secondary school, I how can I put it? I was really good with certain subjects, and then other subjects I just wasn't good at. And if I wasn't good at them, I wasn't putting the time or the effort in So. I remember we were picking our GCSS and I was saying to my parents, I really want to do drama.
Speaker 1: And obviously the question is how will you get a.
Speaker 2: Job where will you You're not going to be a doctor or lawyer.
Speaker 6: I'm telling two parents, one who is like an economic economist.
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 3: Economist?
Speaker 1: Economist, and the other one is like a nurse.
Speaker 6: So exactly, my mum and dad were like ah, may no, no, no, but they they it took some time to get to the point of them like being like, okay, maybe maybe this is something she's been very serious about. And when I put my head to something, I'm very stubborn, like I'm not budging. I will perfect that craft to the best of my ability. So I did that GCSE A level, a level.
Speaker 1: My mom convinced me to do law. I will never think of that woman for doing that to me.
Speaker 2: No, girl, no, let me just try one more time.
Speaker 1: My mom convinced me to do law.
Speaker 6: I failed that exam so hard, it was painful, like, it was very embarrassing, and my dad had to pull me down. He was like, listen, maybe this isn't for you. Maybe let's speak, let's feel like.
Speaker 1: I told you.
Speaker 3: I told you, I don't know what you want me to say.
Speaker 1: We've done her this conversation, so I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 6: I think that's when they realized like, Okay, let's just let her do what she's good at and she enjoys. And then I went to UNI and I did like media and performance, which is kind of on screen and off screen training. I went to drama school and I focused on theater acting, and then I jumped into the industry of an actress, which eighty percent of the time you're just auditioning and then twenty percent of the time.
Speaker 1: You actually have work, which is hard.
Speaker 6: The industry doesn't have many girls that look like me, and when they do look like you, you're all in the same audition room for the same roles every single time exactly, and then you get type casts my body type. I'm a very curvacious, zim woman. Like you know, you start getting part of the roles that start to affect you because you're like, I know, I'm more than this, but I'm being put into a hole that yeah, you know. So, I mean, they're all growing pains, and that's what your early twenties are for.
Speaker 1: You're learning you're growing.
Speaker 6: And then I decided to move back home because London was just not for me.
Speaker 1: And I was like, this is too much.
Speaker 6: My mental health is debilitating. Mama opened the door, let me get back.
Speaker 1: So I went back home to open arms.
Speaker 6: My parents are very welcoming and I worked a nine to five job and then I helped my parents set.
Speaker 1: Up a business.
Speaker 6: Like I was doing quite a few things that weren't creative anyways, pandemic hits.
Speaker 1: Well, when pandemic.
Speaker 6: Hits, I had just secured a three month acting job, which would have been my first job after taking this break.
Speaker 1: I was just really down when the pandemic hit and I was.
Speaker 6: Like, oh, like this is the last thing I need, Like I've just got back into the groove. And my parents were just like everything happens for a reason, like don't you know, just chill out, and I was like, okay, cool, good cool. Anyways, one day, my little sister, who's I mean, she's what she was eleven at the time, twelve, she has TikTok and she's like, oh, downlo TikTok and we can learn dances together. And I'm like, ooh, I'm down on being the kids I want to be youthful cool.
Speaker 1: You know, revived my one beat.
Speaker 6: And then we downloaded this app, and before I knew it, I was like obsessed, and I'm like watching content and the more I watch it, the more I'm like, I have an opinion on that, and I have an opinion on that, and the something I want to say on that.
Speaker 1: Someone actually started off very political.
Speaker 6: It was the height of like the twenty twenty protest George Floyd's situation, and I just felt like it was a great place for me to share my voice without pressure. No one who on you followed me. I didn't follow anyone but my little sister. It was just I'll put it on. If anyone sees it, they see it, if they don't say that the word was about to end anyway, So what's the worst?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What else? Do you know what I mean? Like, there's bigger in the world that happening.
Speaker 6: And then content just started to gain views and likes, shares.
Speaker 1: Comments, and I think I still to this day, I'm.
Speaker 6: Kind of blown away by how it's all panned out in a really short space of time. And I'm ever so grateful to God, and like I can't stress that enough, Like I don't take any milestone big or small for granted.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's how content started happening. And then from content, I'm.
Speaker 6: Getting presenting gigs, I'm getting Yeah, like it was, it's just been one thing after another. But yeah, that's kind of the journey. It's been a long one, but that's that's been the creative journey.
Speaker 3: But isn't that beautiful because you're saying it all just kind of happened so fast, but like all that time before groundwork and the preparation for you because I think Amanda, you and I have spoken about this before, how an opportunity can come and you know someone and it came and they had their fifteen minutes of fame and then they didn't have anything to fall back on or there was nothing there to kind of them going the train going. It kind of was like, oh, stop starting, you know, start stop. Sorry, So that's so so great. I remember the first TikTok I think.
Speaker 2: You were actually talking about that. What's the first TikTok you remember? Yeah, that I distinctly.
Speaker 3: Remember, Soral was when you were talking to the zimbabwe and Aunties are commenting on your body. Yes, I remember, I was like, can you say that a little louder, please, Yeah, you you know some of us, some of us are tormented all the time, every comment, every comments, So absolutely.
Speaker 4: Likely ourgorithm must have been working well with that one, because I think we all all zoom.
Speaker 2: People were like we fop.
Speaker 6: That, and it did like grounds in like Facebook groups on WhatsApp. My mom's friends were texting her like you know.
Speaker 4: Your daughter, and I was like, oh, shut out, what is she doing these days?
Speaker 1: My mom was like, you're your friendly my friends. I was like, if the shoe fits wear, it.
Speaker 6: Mayam like yeah, that's how I gotta say.
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, but you know that just speaks to how relatable you are, because the girls that get it, we got it, like we're all like yeah, man, like you said it, so it looked like yeah, you spoke to us, like that's why we shared it because we But you know, I was listening to your podcast and you were talking about how the UK especially want to be boxed in as one thing, and obviously when you're someone like you was a multi hyphenate with acting, presenting, content creation, comedian, what do you think for you is like how you describe yourself? First, if someone says sol Sarral is.
Speaker 5: Oh, child God, like, why are you getting deep this quickly? We're duping deeper surround? No, we have to go there.
Speaker 6: Okay, what would I say I am?
Speaker 1: I would say I'm an actress.
Speaker 6: That's the first one I would say, just because that has been my dream since I was like ten years old and until I see myself otherwise, I'll always see myself as an actress first. All this other stuff, don't get me wrong. I love it and I enjoy doing it. But I put the work in. You know they say, like take ten thousand.
Speaker 1: Hours to be yeah, good, Like I know, I put the work in. Why was the thing?
Speaker 6: Can look at content and be like, you know, it was just a viral moment, But with my acting, I know like yeah there was blood, sweat, tears that went into that. So yeah, an actress is what I would say.
Speaker 3: And I think that's why you have like you keep going like you're saying, things keep happening and happening because you know, you have a craft that you've owned. It seems easy when we see it, we're just like but it's like, yeah, it's you know, it is a craft. And how would you say? I think you spoke about your parents and their reaction to your chosen field or path, but other friends of family, how has that reaction been around Soraul pursuing this kind of what do you mean industry? What does the content create?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: How do you want to find that.
Speaker 2: To some of these people?
Speaker 3: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 3: How have they perceived that, especially within you know, the Zim circles and being heritage. What's that been like?
Speaker 6: You know, honestly, I think overall very supportive. Okay, and they don't know what I'm doing. Let's just be honest.
Speaker 1: There's put out there. They have no idea what my job description is. They don't.
Speaker 7: They don't, and I'm like, okay, yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: One way to describe it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah in my bedroom.
Speaker 6: I do in my room, right, But yeah, I think they don't fully get it. But I think, you know, it's crazy. The marker of success within the Zim family, and I can only speak for mine, is usually like money.
Speaker 1: Or accolades, right, yes, speak on it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if you're making money or if you're getting the awards, then you are successful. Or if people in the community deem you are successful, then you are successful. And I think I had to like reshape a lot of my aunties and uncle's views on success and allow them to see that I've set personal goals for myself and just because you may not deem them as successful, to me, that is a marker of success for me. And you know, it's it's it's a constant journey. Luckily, there's quite a few creatives in my family, so we're all hitting from different angles. Some are singer summer rappers, some are content creators, some are you know, we're all from different angles and this kind of younger generation. But I would say overall it has been it has been positive. And I think the day when my mom realized I wasn't going to be asking her for reend, my mom was like, ah ya, as long as you're happy.
Speaker 1: As long as you're happy. Mother.
Speaker 3: She speaks on her journey with her parents, like how her parents are like you have to be a jes and just like until they saw the fruits and those being financial physical, you know fruits, They're like, Okay. Now they're at the shows, like that's not They'll.
Speaker 2: Be like this is the beginning. Like you're like.
Speaker 6: In the room, my mom will be you know, while I'm collecting, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, day Mama.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you said that you felt like TikTok happened by chance. But did you always have a calling in your heart to have a huge following? Did you always think I've got something to say and people need to hear it huge following?
Speaker 1: No, I get scared actually with huge following.
Speaker 6: Okay, me and Holley, my manager, we have this thing where sometimes I'll put a video on Instagram and I'll message it and I'll be like, Okay, it's got quite a lot of views.
Speaker 1: I'm logging out. I'll be back in three days because I.
Speaker 6: Just I feel like, I don't know, I can't describe the pressure, but it's almost like off of that one video, maybe you should go watch like seven others then you can figure out if you want to follow me, because sometimes I'm like, I don't know if it's justified, and I don't know if that's problematic within me that I feel like like that. I don't know therapy whatever anyways, But yeah, I for a huge following.
Speaker 1: No, But I have always felt like.
Speaker 6: I can add something to a conversation, and not because I think I'm wise, but because I think I asked the right questions. I've always been very inquisitive, and I think they make the best conversations, the best teaching moments. So yeah, I've always felt like I can add something to a conversation, but never for like, you know, large scale.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe it's quite interesting.
Speaker 3: You spoke about it with on your podcast. We'll go into her podcast later, but like you're talking about it about how you know, people see you and they think, oh, she must be so outgoing and like such a people person, and like, you know, you just want to like talk to everybody, but how there's this like anxiety that comes with social anxiety you were talking about and it was very interesting, And I think often as performers, people think they don't realize you are a performer because you are a performer, Like it's part of it, like bringing this character out. It doesn't necessarily mean you live that twenty four to sevens.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think, especially with platforms like TikTok, where's so.
Speaker 2: Unfiltered, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like people feel like you really are my sister, you really are my so they step up to you.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, do you know what you were saying you're like, when did I say that?
Speaker 4: I don't remember when I was like I don't know if you ever really, but like remember and I even with the podcast, so people always like I remember what you said then, and you're like, say, I need to timestamp that and go listen back, you know, because it's like and then you don't want to like not honor the moment for the person. But at the same time, you're like this makes you anxious because you're like you always have to almost always have to be on yes to receive that, you know.
Speaker 6: I think as well, with like social anxiety, there's layers. So sometimes it's like super high. It's peak, like I'm not going to events, I'm staying in my house, like like even answering the phone like please please Lise, I'm trying to sort myself out, right.
Speaker 1: But then there's other moments where.
Speaker 6: And this is how I know, like especially people who follow me, like the OG followers, like the ones who really know me, they'll come up to me because I've always said, like, if you're going to come up to me, please don't do the whole don't freak out, please don't do that name. What do you think about that violent girl. Like we met last week and we were having coffee. Now we're meeting again in Tesco's, you know what I mean. Like that's how I think that relationship works best for me.
Speaker 1: And again it's all very new.
Speaker 6: It's under three years, so I'm also navigating that space and I'm like, please give me grades, like I promise you.
Speaker 1: It's never it's never the feeling of like I never want to.
Speaker 6: Come across as rude because it's never the intention, but awkward, you know, so sometimes you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah.
Speaker 6: It's it's it's really weird, and I think most creatives are like it.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I've found most people I've been around in social settings who are creatives have that fear of like, like you're saying, you just always have to be on. So if somebody comes on a day when you're not on, you feel like you're giving them like not the best version of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean even beyond it has to be sash, you know, like all so like I'm not.
Speaker 2: Susing today, Yeah, let me be, let me be these people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that definitely then breaths the question, how do you manage your public persona and your private life. Do you feel sometimes the lines can get blurred or you've you've been very intentional to separate the two for yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I've got hard boundaries. My boundaries is hard, thick and fast, and I'll tell you why.
Speaker 6: I In life in general, I've always had boundaries, you know, like, for example, when you work in nine to five and then people are like, oh, we're like a family here. Oh Becky, I you at nine, I can't. And I know during those hours outside of them hours, I don't know.
Speaker 1: You may now we're not that comfortable. And I think people get really offended or they feel like.
Speaker 6: It's rude their boundaries in But I think it creates clarity for me.
Speaker 1: Yes, And when.
Speaker 6: I'm on social media and there's something i want to talk about, I know I've processed it, I know I've worked through it, or I know that it's something that I can get help from. Let's say I need advice from it from people who listen to me. That's one thing. And then my personal life, they have to be boundary. It's got to be stuff that you keep to yourself. Also, for example, like my family, they didn't sign up to be on social media. They my friends didn't sign up to be on social media. So even if I'm making a video, I'll always say, like, I'm about to record a video. If you don't want to be in it, moved to that side of the room, like I give an announcement, because I do understand, like it's really really difficult to just put people online and to them, it's very weird to see comments about themselves, to see, you know, imagine people commenting on my mom, my sister, and they're not.
Speaker 1: Used to that.
Speaker 6: I've kind of I'm used to it now. I've this is my job, this is what I do. I know how to control and make sure I don't see certain stuff. But my mom doesn't necessarily understand that, my sister doesn't necessarily understand that.
Speaker 1: So I think boundaries are very, very needed.
Speaker 6: And I think the content creators who don't have boundaries are the ones who really really suffer when it comes to the mental health, because you have no escape. Social media is your entire life. And I hate to say it, but social media ain't real.
Speaker 1: Speak on that, please are real.
Speaker 6: It's you know, you're seeing the highlight reel, You're highlights I have decided to press post.
Speaker 1: If I don't respost, you're not seeing it.
Speaker 6: There are certain things in your life that I think you should try your best.
Speaker 1: If you're in content to just keep private.
Speaker 4: They for me, it works, you know, you know it's so funny because this is actually I'm probably going to ask this question next because it feeds into it. How do you best remain authentic and handle negative feedback and comments?
Speaker 2: Because you just talked about that.
Speaker 6: My gosh, that's for the word authentic.
Speaker 1: What does that mean? Issue?
Speaker 2: Maybe let's take it, let's break it down.
Speaker 6: I feel like I prefer the word maybe humble, because I feel like authentic implies that in other aspects.
Speaker 1: Of your life you are maybe more or less real than you are online.
Speaker 6: I don't know if that makes sense, but I prefer the word I think the more the word humble is like, you haven't allowed these external factors.
Speaker 3: To influence who you are exactly, the core of who you are.
Speaker 6: Exactly, and that honestly, as much as I come from my zim aunties for talking about my body, it's my family, and it's my friends and their rawness, their realness. The way my mom can collect me and gather me. It's a work of art. My mom reads me to filth. Like I remember once I was like, Mama, this video it's got like one hundred thousand views, which was like, but how much is in your bank account?
Speaker 4: I said, well, oh oh, okay, okay, I said, well, okay, that is one way to decease.
Speaker 1: So I think so I think that helps.
Speaker 6: But also I'm very I've got a really strong relationship with God, like being a Christian, being a child of God. I mean I just about it on the Internet and stuff, but it honestly is the core and fiber of who I am. And I know for a fact if I didn't have that relationship, that foundation with God, a lot of things would have swayed me in a different direction that I probably didn't like the version of myself. So yeah, I think I think those two things are like the pillars that keep me like grounded. As for like hate comments, I have a trick. So I posted my video and then I closed the whole app and I don't come back for about two or three hours. But then it's got a couple of comments. I will lie the first three, four, maybe five, because they're usually the positive ones. I read in the comments, and I realized, you're talking to yourself because and that's okay. Sometimes people just want to say stuff to say stuff, and that's okay, but I am not going to read it, because one day you will read something that will literally affect you for the next week, and I get a week to give up or a comment. There are certain videos where, let's say I'm talking about something slightly deeper, where I will read all the comments because I'm trying to have that conversation with.
Speaker 1: My like the community I've built. That's different.
Speaker 6: But sometimes I make polarizing videos like I talk about the government, I talk about race, I talk about I made a video about the queen. When I tell you shambles, Oh my god, I said, God.
Speaker 1: Not for this.
Speaker 2: Wait woman, wait.
Speaker 8: Isabeth, she sleep, she's gone, and you Yeah, I said, I'm not going to my dms and I'm looking at I'm not looking at the comments.
Speaker 6: That video because I know that the Internet is a wild place. But that is how I have learned to like build barriers to protect myself. But yeah, also utilize the block button. That block button is.
Speaker 1: War My finger will quick it with them.
Speaker 3: Oh god, beautiful, wow, And I think people don't realize, like you know, social media. If you compare to your home, right, if someone is just bashing through your door and like you wouldn't just keep opening the door for all sorts of refresh you come You're like, oh your house is this You ain't doing this right? You just don't open the down or just not share the address that's a block. Yeah, they don't even know where yet, so absolutely make sense. And I think definitely it definitely exhudes the the mechanisms of the ways you're navigating. You can still get a true set like this is sourral like.
Speaker 6: You feel it.
Speaker 3: It's genuine, and I think that protecting of peace and African parents always help. We did an episode on how they can't compliment you or the compliment is backhanded and you're just like geez man, let's or they take the cred and you're like, huh.
Speaker 6: Oh, how about sorry that word.
Speaker 2: Exists in their book.
Speaker 3: An African parents would rather mop the ocean before saying yes, yes, that's about right.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 1: If a meal I get, are you coming down for food? Man?
Speaker 3: We've just had someway some way.
Speaker 2: Why you know.
Speaker 1: That? You you? You you?
Speaker 6: But yeah, they will humble you, they will humble you very fast.
Speaker 3: So given that, you know, I love how you expressed, like how you navigate all the complexities that I think, even as just regular regular individuals we struggle with with social media. How do you then remain motivated to keep you know, posting, sharing on TikTok Instagram and engage with the followers as you've explained, like how do you Because it's easy to feel like what's the point? Maybe one day the numbers aren't as great as the day before, or you know what I mean, like, how does how do you keep going? Because it's easy to be like I'm not getting the key that I thought today and then you know, you.
Speaker 6: Know, And I think this is the difference between my my group of social media influencers who came in during the pandemic, especially for me, who was like posting to basically no one and other people who've probably been in social media for a little bit longer, is.
Speaker 1: That the numbers don't. Get me wrong, Sometimes you.
Speaker 6: Do get an adrenaline rush, like when you're looking at like three million within twenty four hours and you're like this is insane, But the numbers ultimately do not matter, and I say that because I use my TikTok specifically as a place of just speaking to people, Like my video is very last time I made a video asking people what a certain light bulb was because I didn't know the.
Speaker 2: Name of it, and I, oh yeah, I was like yeah, yeah, and I was like, well, these are my people who help me out.
Speaker 1: They told me the name of it, like.
Speaker 2: More people were telling you in the comments though, so they were telling me.
Speaker 1: So I use it for like a number of things.
Speaker 6: And I think the good thing as well about TikTok is the algorithm pushes you to the people who are gonna like that specific video or your content or whatever. In terms of staying motivated, I think think it's that thing. Like like I was saying, as much as the follow account scares me, and like the more it goes up, I'm like, you know, panic. But I always have felt like I just want to I want to talk to people.
Speaker 1: I want to add the conversation. I want to ask questions. I want to probe. I also want to make it light. Sometimes people are talking about something and it's.
Speaker 6: So heavy on the Internet, and I'm like, guys, like, let's light in the mood.
Speaker 1: A bit let's tea like you know. And I remember, for example.
Speaker 6: When there was a certain school shooting that happened in America and I made a video not about the school shooting but about something else. It was very light and it was very intentional about that video that I put out, and a lady DMed me and was like, thank you so much. Like I'm from this place and it's really been difficult. We've been struggling, and your video really just like helped make me laugh for the day. Like stuff like that I think keeps me going, keeps you motivated. But yeah, I don't know, I feel like the older I get, the more i'm I realized that also, if I'm not enjoying it, if I'm not into it, I'm just not I'm not going to force it.
Speaker 2: Yeah that is beautiful.
Speaker 3: I will.
Speaker 1: I will do what needs to be done.
Speaker 4: And yeah, you know, you know, our African parents would tell us to always love a humble woman. So we love that you're humble, but we have to give you your flowers surround you have built your brand, you have you know, whether or not you want to call it, that is something.
Speaker 2: But for us watching you, we're.
Speaker 4: So proud we're like, oh my gosh, like she's Zim like I always and she's Ziom I'm saying it, and she's Zim and she's Zim and she just feel like you.
Speaker 2: Know, like in case you didn't know, so, I mean so obviously.
Speaker 4: On our podcast, we also try to uplift and give advice to people when we have guests on because we also realize the work you guys have done, you know, whether or not it feels that way to you. So how base do you think someone can build a brand over in stead gramm and TikTok, Like any advice you can.
Speaker 6: Give, any advice I can give, I'm trying not to make it generic. In general, I would say when it comes to building a brand, you have to know who you are.
Speaker 1: And that's that seems like kind of like whoo, like what does that mean?
Speaker 6: But like once you know who you are at your core, you find it's a lot easier to make certain decisions that will benefit you. There are many people who went into social media who enter the arts entertainment at young ages or with a lot of counsel or not a lot of mentorship, and they lost their way because they two were finding out who they were along the way, which isn't a bad thing. But I think ultimately, if you are trying to build a brand, the thing that will get you there quicker is doing the work yes, and that helps you figure out what you're into, what you like, what you don't like. It helps you sort of map the way, figure out your goals, and also it cancels out the external voices, which are very loud. Sometimes, you know, people have an opinion on you. People have a lot to say, and sometimes by just being so sure in yourself, you can be like, no, I don't believe that, and you swat away the opinions. But I think it's hard. I think you've just also just you just have to You can't give up. That's the biggest advice you can't give. And you know, the thing is when people tell you not to give up, it's so easy because you're like, I have bills to pay, I'm still at school, I'm still studying. There's many external factors, but giving up isn't doesn't mean that you're constantly working every day. Not giving up is a mindset that means every single day your mind has not given in to this dream or not. You're working the nine to five. Whether or not you're doing the studying, you're in your mind. You know that I have a goal and I'm going to reach my goal at the moment I'm doing this right now.
Speaker 1: But that doesn't mean that the goal in the dream dies.
Speaker 6: And that's what I mean by not giving up, because that power, that that fire, that drive will get you to your goal ultimately. So I think that's the biggest advice I could give.
Speaker 3: That's so dope, and I love I love that it's in your mind. You've got to hold onto because you know, sometimes it's only you who can see it.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's only you.
Speaker 3: You're just there by yourself, So you know you've got to You gotta have your own back. Thank you so much. And so Row, we've talked a lot about, you know, social media, and you know, I want I want to kind of veer into more of the other side of your work. You know, you said you're an actor and that's something you identify with as first. We'd love to hear from you, you know, what have been some of your I would yeah, a career highlight for you, whether in acting or present. And I would also love to talk about your podcast with the Candice breathway.
Speaker 1: Did I say it right?
Speaker 3: I think I said it right. But yeah, if you can share a bit more about that so people see that, you know, get to know a little more about that that side of you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, acting, like I said, has been, that's been my baby, that's you know, And I'm telling you now, ladies, let's just manifest it together that Oscar is coming.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, oh, Dad, I already relating, relating.
Speaker 1: But I think for me one of the highlight in acting.
Speaker 6: I mean I did theater for many, many years and it built such like theater is hard, you you build a muscle for it. You end up knowing exactly what you're doing. That when you step on set for TV, film or whatever, you're very confident you've got the backing that like I've got the training, I've got the experience. Yes, I would say my One Woman Show was definitely like insane because crazy.
Speaker 3: I can't even imagine doing it.
Speaker 1: Was wild, And when I got the job, I.
Speaker 6: Literally you know when you just you know, one of those moments when you fall to the ground and you just cry because I was like, I can't. Many actors work up to this, their whole career is like this is pretty and insane.
Speaker 1: So that was quite big.
Speaker 6: And then I did a TV series last year which by the time this comes out, actually it will be aired on like Skycomedy A.
Speaker 3: We're doing Happy Dancers if you.
Speaker 6: So that was Yeah, that was quite a big highlight because again and I find it and I don't know if this is the perfectionist in me.
Speaker 1: I find it so refreshing when I get jobs based.
Speaker 6: Off of like an audition, Like I go in, I am you're picking me because I am the best in the room. I don't talk about my social media when I do acting.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't want and I know some people are like, oh, but it's just it's a good way in I hear that. But there's something about my I believe in my source that much that I'm like, if you don't want me for my acting, I'm not the right person for that. And yeah, so when I go in and I get an audio, don't get me wrong, but I won't say no to word check.
Speaker 1: If let me just clarify, I'm still I'm taking.
Speaker 2: A check to the bed approached me, approach me.
Speaker 6: But inside I feel very proud of myself, and I'm like, I got this based off an audition and there was like three rounds of audition for that for that one.
Speaker 1: So no, I'm going up against.
Speaker 6: People who are like really good in this industry. So then I think for acting, they're my two highlights. And then presenting, I mean presenting has been wild. I got to interview Violin Davis.
Speaker 1: I got we.
Speaker 2: Saw that read the same ear yeah.
Speaker 6: When I tell you me and she invited me to her house. They actually edited that bit out, but basically, no, let me tell you the story girls, sorry, give us exactly. I asked her because obviously women kings all about women and like coming together and being strong, and I was like, what are some like qualities you look for in your tribe of women, right, And She's like listing all these things, like I want women who appressed me, women who are funny, and at the end of it, I was like, well, fin it sounds like you're describing me a love.
Speaker 1: She was like, what, man, do not play with me?
Speaker 6: Because I book my ticket right and I'll come with my plate of bros. Don't play I'm playing.
Speaker 2: Imagine David, Imagine She'd be like.
Speaker 3: She's been she's been to the continent and then they filmed it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she probably has. Actually this takes me back. This takes me back, but yeah, that was a huge highlight. Like I just I'm always very inspired by whoever I meet, and I take inspiration from like the big and quote unquote the small.
Speaker 1: It's never really small, but you know, I take inspiration from that.
Speaker 6: And I just feel like the reason why I'm constantly like a child who's always like WHOA is because every time I meet someone, it's never a case of like, oh this has got old, Like are you crazy? Like I used to live in like a little tiny one bed flat in London. I could barely pay my bills. Like one time I had no money that I had birthday cake for like four days for dinner. Like I kid you not, Like I know where I've come from. So when I get those moments where I'm like talking to people interacting, I'm like, this is this is cool?
Speaker 1: This huge?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like let's not.
Speaker 6: Dilute this, Like I know you lot are used to talking to the big dogs, but like this is big for me, you know. So yeah, there's quite a lot of achievements, but they're the ones that like stick out to me that I'm like, huh, thank the Lord, won't you do it? Well?
Speaker 4: I love that honesty from you because I think a lot of times when you meet people what content creators, they make it seem like, yeah, you know, I just met Further Davis the other day.
Speaker 2: Like as if it's like and I'm like, I would be like, you.
Speaker 4: Know, so I love that you're honest about it, like it's it's okay to recognize it as a people moment.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I will never downplay like I don't know. And also like this is like a huge like I mean, I've been watching it since I was a kid, Like she's a huge inspiration to me.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I feel like down playing it.
Speaker 6: And that's what makes a lot of people then take for granted the stuff that the opportunities they get because you've kind of reached all the heights of success that you feel a lot of successful that when you do the stuff that you think is like not on your level, quote unquote, you start being like, ah, it's just it's just viola. Let me tell you something, whether it's a viola or it's my grandmother's best friend.
Speaker 1: I'm a freak out.
Speaker 6: If I've if I've been inspired by that person, regardless, I'm gonna freak like that to me is like you you you get inspiration from all these people, Like I can't, I can't downplay that.
Speaker 1: For me, it's just yeah, it's it's it's been awesome. But boy oh boy o boy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we cannot wait to see because we know you're just going to be doing more and more, not even to put pleasure, but you know you're zimbab have to put them pressure, keep going, you know, So like, yeah, I think it's just beautiful to have seen your growth, to have seen you helped us survive lockdowns.
Speaker 2: You took us through lockdowns, out of lockdowns. Now we're in Love Island UK.
Speaker 4: I know more about Love Island UK than the Australian version because of you.
Speaker 2: I'm like, okay, Tina, let me check with sore else you can get me that four one one. So it's like, you know, so.
Speaker 4: You know, I really really do commend all the beautiful work you do. And I know sometimes in the creative industry especially, you feel isolated and like who's who really cares?
Speaker 2: And trust me, we do.
Speaker 4: You know, we're here for you or reading for you to see a beautiful black woman like yourself doing all the things you're doing is so inspiring. So we really have loved having you on a podcast. It's really been amazing.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys so so much. I've loved it.
Speaker 6: And yeah, shout out to you guys, because it's not easy. I've just started podcast world and let me tell you something, y'all work, Okay, this is this is hard work, So shout out to you guys.
Speaker 1: And I can't wait to come back. I'm already manifesting it.
Speaker 4: Yes, of course, anytime you want, she can just pop on numbers.
Speaker 6: Next time will be a person because Australia, I must see you.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, none of the stations were like you can stay, you can, yes, please do any other projects you want to share with us. I mean, I know obviously you said summer coming later in the year, but anything you're free and welcome to sharing.
Speaker 3: And your socials as well.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, so socials, Coco surrel on Everything, Twitter, Instagram and TikTok podcast Closet Confessions, which I can't wait for you guys to hear season two, Like it's we've got so many big plans for it, and yeah, just we'll see each other like in the comment section or in a d M or someone we'll see each other.
Speaker 2: That day.
Speaker 6: That's yeah, yes, now we know aloud.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Thank you so so much. This has been so hard woman. It feels like we're talking to a girlfriend like just and as Amanda said it all, we are rooting for you and we support you wholeheartedly for your The true essence of who you are is who you are on screen, but also as an individual, and it's so refreshing to see and to our listeners. Thank you so much for tuning into another episode of It's layered as always, hit us up. It's layered on Instagram. It's laird Pod on Twitter. It's Twitter even still a thing anymore? I mean, what's his name? Killed it for us, but or you can email us. It's laird pod at gmail dot com. Thank you again, Sarah, Thank you Amanda, and we'll see you on the next episode.
Speaker 2: Bye bye, guys. Yeah yeah yeah