Speaker 1: Hi, it's Allison. We have received numerous requests as to the next episode of The Lady Vanishers, but while we're on a break for the next little while, the team and I wanted to point you to another investigative true crime series produced by some of the same team behind The Lady Vanishers. Inside the Tribe is based on the story of a couple searching for a new beginning before they fall into a world of bizarre rituals and extreme beliefs under the influence of a charismatic leader. So who are the Twelve Tribes and how has their leader managed to build a global following unchecked for fifty years. Here's a bit of a taste of what's to come.
Speaker 2: Said.
Speaker 3: They know what they're doing is wrong, and that's why they keep it a secret.
Speaker 1: That's why they hide it. It's hidden.
Speaker 2: They were five hours grilling and grilling and grilling. I was exhausted, emotionally, spiritually, and I was thinking about my dear baby.
Speaker 3: So you would have said, oh, to listen to them. So I'm talking to you, is trying to take you away from the community from gone.
Speaker 4: And yes you are. Wow, I lots everything. My daughter was in the community, my dad's friends where they're in prison.
Speaker 5: Her dad, I said, stop lying to me, and I actually grabbed his shirt, held me fist up and said, where is she?
Speaker 3: Where is my wife?
Speaker 4: My only way to survive was going out and handing free peoples want to evangelize people and trying to recruit them. There prices change their hearts. So we have to run away from sin and walk and righteousness. And all I want to do is scream. These people just run, get the fuck out of here.
Speaker 2: If they construct a coffin for him, the chad in life.
Speaker 6: Mark didn't have a lot of time, but it was the most important job he'd ever been given, and he had to get it right.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's weird, you know, psychologically depressed.
Speaker 6: Once it was finished, they put the coffin in the back of the car and then they sat out that night to look for a place to bury the body.
Speaker 2: So Hahn, he drove me. He's one of the leaders. He drove me out.
Speaker 6: They headed west for two and a half hours down Highway thirty one, past Yandera and yerinbul over Long Swamp Creek, through Binda and Crooked Corner, and finally onto Bigger They turned down an unpaved road, then stopped, turned off the lights and got out of the car. They grabbed a shovel and carried the coffin into the bush.
Speaker 2: Well. We went out, located a spot which was quite away from the dwellings and things, in the middle of the bush because they got like a thousand acre provin So I'm in the middle of this forest type bush and basically dug a shallow grave because we couldn't dig very deep. Was it all very rocky and arch is. I know it'll be fine, you know, you don't dig it too deep.
Speaker 3: It's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen the boxing and put a rock over the box. There was no markings or anything, a grave site or anything. So that's how it was.
Speaker 6: Mark was exhausted.
Speaker 2: It was a terrible time. I felt so struelty. Were really there, like, I don't know, my heart, it's something right.
Speaker 6: Down and he parked his shovel in the ground, looked over at harm. Both men were silent, then.
Speaker 2: Made a prayer. I had a prayer, yeah, just proking for creating it. At that time, you know, I believe I was really whole hearted.
Speaker 6: They were quiet. On the drive home. Mark was still in shock, but even in that moment, he knew what they'd done was against the law, but it all happened so fast. Everything was moving too quickly. Within forty eight hours, he and his wife, Rose, and their three children were on the run.
Speaker 3: You you just sent somewhere as I said, you have to go, We have to go. They sent us away, the whole family. Why, well, the story was to protect us?
Speaker 5: What or who were they running from? And how did Mark and Rose, a perfectly normal couple from Sydney end up here. Mark thought that being a dad would be about teaching the kids how to surf and play music, about how to look after one another and be there for the people you love. At what point did his life take a turn down a rough country road in the middle of the night with a body in the back seat.
Speaker 6: This is Inside the
Speaker 1: Tribe, available now wherever you get your podcasts.