Speaker 1: Hello, my name is Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud or the Order, Kernie Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: She's on the Money.
Speaker 5: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast that makes personal finance.
Speaker 3: Fun, especially on Fridays.
Speaker 5: It is our favorite day of the week because one it was Christmas.
Speaker 3: News is coming, but it's also.
Speaker 5: A time for us to get our little team together and celebrate you, our incredible She's on the Money family. Jessic Ricci has a few favorite non Christmas money wins. Yes, I'm sorry, Jess, Christmas is over, Beck. We're going to be sharing some of your very exciting broke tips to help tide us over till the new year, and we're going to be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about investing for kids and something that you leading into our dms about whether you should leave your job after missing out on a promotional or not.
Speaker 3: Juicy.
Speaker 5: So how are we all as a good start to the conversation?
Speaker 6: You go first, yess good, I'm living in the post Christmas bubble. Are you guys tree down before the end of the year or leave it up forrages until.
Speaker 5: My husband starts complaining aggressively about the fact that it's up and it's still February, so I haven't hit that not taking it down?
Speaker 6: Interesting, No, mine's got to be down before January first, which is I mean? I guess I get a lot of mile age pre Christmas. Sure to me, I feel like, you know, the new year knew me fresh slate thing. Yeah, I feel like if I have the Christmas tree up, I'm still living in.
Speaker 2: Yes, maybe I should go on sprinkling and take it down.
Speaker 6: You're so like I have weird things like go on Christmas as soon as like, Okay.
Speaker 2: I don't want to see more of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I expected Miss Jessic Ricci to be like milk and Christmas for all its work, but here she is, She's like, right, so the Christmas tree is absolutely down, Beck, would you like to go to colds and pick up some hot Cross buns?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I feel like you're onto the next.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you're f boy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, one thing goes away, like, okay, where.
Speaker 2: Where's my next waking next?
Speaker 6: Literally, how about you guys? How's your week spen?
Speaker 5: Oh? I am absolutely gonna maybe consider taking my Christmas tree down.
Speaker 3: And when I say that.
Speaker 5: I'm just going to think about it and not do it.
Speaker 3: It's been good, It's been good. It's very fun.
Speaker 5: I love this lull between Christmas and New Years where you forget what day it is, Like what day is it?
Speaker 3: You don't know it's Wednesday.
Speaker 4: Days.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's like real guilt free, not not that it ever shouldn't be guilt free, but it's like really guilt free rest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I think the thing that I like about this period and maybe like this isn't as relatable because I'm a business owner, is it's the only week of the year where I know the rest of the team aren't all on like people going on your leave, but like the business is always on right, even when I'm on holidays, Like I'm still checking in being like how are you guys, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: Do you need me for anything?
Speaker 5: I know I'm not needed this week because like even the girls that are at work, because we still have like I guess you could say like bait bones teams to make sure that you know the admin's still done and that all of you get someone you know to come back to you. But like it's one week that I'm like, nobody needs anything from me.
Speaker 3: This is living.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm going to have a second cocktail on a Tuesday.
Speaker 3: I am going to do that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, definitely. There are no rules, there's no real I don't think there ever should be. But it's it's nice that we all can collectively.
Speaker 3: Pressure free week. It really is.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 7: And me I'm back from Sydney, which is really nice. It's been a honestly been of a hell of a time. I've been like waiting for this PA cycle because I'm like, okay, it's Christmas.
Speaker 2: It's going to be very expensive.
Speaker 7: My car got told in the city, no, it costs five hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Did you park standing clearway? But it was one that started at four. I thought they started four thirty.
Speaker 5: Bro, you don't even have the excuse of being pregnant. But I remember I had that when I was pregnant. I parked in there. It was not fun. It was not fun in the city. Yeah, in this Oh no, it was like in Richmond. And then they take your car to that place in Fitzroy and then you have to go pick it up, and then it feels really weird, Like you go in and it's this weird office and they want your money and then they give you your keys and you're just like, I feel like a criminal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am a criminal. It's crazy.
Speaker 7: It's literally well it depends on the council. But it was Melbourne City and so four hundred nine dollars and then one hundred and ninety something dollar fine as.
Speaker 5: Well, what fine on top of that.
Speaker 2: I know, luckily I could borrow money.
Speaker 3: But I think I got fine.
Speaker 5: I think I just got the toe and I took my car.
Speaker 3: I don't think I know that opening.
Speaker 2: They forget sometimes they do. You know, they're just the only human.
Speaker 5: Out of it.
Speaker 3: You should do it.
Speaker 5: Jessica Ricci, she always writes a letter.
Speaker 2: I'll write a letter that's a really good idea.
Speaker 7: I'll just do It's Christmas, you guys, come on, I mean it was Christmas.
Speaker 3: Come up with a better excuse than that. I could.
Speaker 5: I could think it was helping a really frail old man cross the street and therefore I couldn't get back to my car in time.
Speaker 3: And also there were.
Speaker 5: Four puppies stuck in a drain and I saved them all. And you guys treat me like this.
Speaker 7: And then I finally got up and saw so I want about to hit by cars. Away, ran in front of them and push them. I got hit by a car. It's a whole thing.
Speaker 3: And then I found fifty bucks on the floor. Like I just that there has to be a story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, true, true. They were like, okay, well that's our fifty bucks.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but no other than that. Honestly, it's been been so jobs looking for a house housemate to solve anyone out there. Ha's a room, let me know, yes, a bit all over the place.
Speaker 2: But it's also fun. I'm having I'm having the time in my life.
Speaker 5: I love it all right, Well, should we get into it because this week we obviously are a bit lean on content because scoletal team in the office.
Speaker 3: But we have a heap of.
Speaker 5: Bloopers from the year that was that we're going to share with you before we you know, start fresh and be better next year.
Speaker 6: It's my favorite tradition. I love the bloopers.
Speaker 5: I'm not looking forward to it because I just know that every single time we play them, I'm humbled. But before we get into the bloopers, we actually have another five star review. This one comes to us in an aroundabout way, So this one's from Carolyn and she actually sent us a DM of her five star review.
Speaker 6: Oh, I'm really trying all methods.
Speaker 3: I can leave them on.
Speaker 5: I'll take them however they're coming because they just stroke out egos that this one's from Carolyn, Lol. Don't know how to leave a review on a podcast, so I'm going to send you this. Honestly, this podcast is part of my self care. I want more content from Jess making things coming from another creative queen. I am currently making handkerchiefs for the oldies in my life who need them, and I'm personalizing them. But I'm going to need a Robovac to make time for all of this sewing. With how much we work as mums, these days. We need things to cook and clean for us. I work four days a week with a fifteen month old, so it is tough to do everything. But thank you so much for joining me on my drives to work. You guys are all friends of mine, and I spend so much time with you guys. It's been years, as I have been listening since the beginning.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a really really nice.
Speaker 5: Time, isn't that so sweet? Also, I'll take my reviews however they come. You want to send them in DMS?
Speaker 2: Sleigh, Absolutely, you do.
Speaker 6: You want to leave them publicly? You can go in the Apple podcast app and it's you go to our little show page and you scroll down to the bottom and you can leave.
Speaker 3: You can leave.
Speaker 2: Do you have to have an Apple phone? No?
Speaker 5: No, yes you do need to have an Apple phone to be able to leave an Apple review. But you could rate us five stars on Spotify if that's what you wanted to do. If you really want to leave a text post, lots of people have been leaving them on Google. I just think that's so funny, like leaving podcast reviews on a Google page.
Speaker 3: But let's take it. We'll take whatever we can get. So yeah, we'll picky. We just appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 3: It's so cute.
Speaker 5: All right, so let's get into it missteress. Yes, when it comes to money, wins and confessions, what are you bringing to the table?
Speaker 6: Alrighty? This week, my first money even comes from a Rachel who said she was out of her usual misca and she knew that at least one chemist in town was going to have it on sale. Isn't that the truth? She went to Priceline because they had it fifty percent off on the website, but when she got into store there was no sale tag. She asked the lovely sales girl if she could check the price, and apparently it was an online only sale.
Speaker 2: No, how annoying.
Speaker 6: So annoying. The girl then said, order it, click and collect, and I'll pick it for you right now and you can just go on your merry way. So asking the question saved her fifteen dollars and it only took two minutes of her time.
Speaker 7: That's so good and so nicely she was like, I'll pick a for you right now, because sometimes it's like twenty four hours.
Speaker 2: It's going to take me between four hours to pick that.
Speaker 1: Up for you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, shout out to that queen, shout out to her. Next, I've got money in from Simmo, who said for Christmas she did some styling wrapping. She used all the paper bags that she'd purchased her items in. Oh yeah, I think.
Speaker 8: I also think.
Speaker 5: Now's the time to save all your Christmas wrapping. So go and buy all the gift tags and stuff. It's all fifty yep, yes, yep, go buy them, put them in the cupboard for next year. A hundred's gonna thank you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we love that. Next, I've got a money in from Jessica, who said money good in great name. I recently learned how to crochet for fun a few months ago, and I was able to sell some of the pieces at a couple of markets last week. The side hustle is hustling. She said she made just over three hundred dollars in sales and she's hoping she can do more with markets next year. And she put in a little photo of her adorable.
Speaker 3: Oh they're cute, corner side will.
Speaker 6: Die, They're adorable. May I suggest sad hamsters. The girlies love a sad hamster.
Speaker 3: We do love a sad handle.
Speaker 6: Because I've got a money loss from Alps who said money loss courtesy of BGW market and she's just done what I ordered or what I expected were versus what I got me too. So she had ordered a wreath. It looks beautiful. There's some floral Jesus, Jesus and Mary giving a bit of a Nativity vibes.
Speaker 3: It looks stunning.
Speaker 6: And then she posted a video of what she got and it's like the classic wish version. It's just a cardboard print. She thought, she thinks she's bought this wreath and she's literally received a cardboard photo.
Speaker 2: We need.
Speaker 3: The kozoo sound.
Speaker 6: Is at the back of it the video, so yeah, let's see.
Speaker 5: Okay, she got a piece of cardboard, a cardboard with.
Speaker 6: A photo of the thing that she thought she I do believe that happened on the I mean I know that it's the marketplace, so I'm assuming they don't.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 5: No, I feel like they're getting they're getting real lax. I bought something last year. Do you remember when I bought that spa? So like that sounds unrelatable, but it was an inflatable I bought the inflatable spa and it came and it was broken, and I had so much back and forth, and they wouldn't take responsibility. It wasn't Big w it was actually Woolworth's marketplace, and they wouldn't take responsibility for it. They said no, no, no, it's the third party. And then I went to the person the third party and they said no, no, no, if it came through Woolworth, so that's got nothing to do with us. And then when I was like, okay, cool, well you both have denied it, they're like, oh, shipping, it's a shipping company and it was a nightmare and I never got my money back.
Speaker 6: So annoying, really, those third Yeah, those third party setups a little bit.
Speaker 3: It's just I get that they're making money, but like, oh, just just it's not.
Speaker 6: You need to at least get what you're expecting. Like a cardboard cutout is absolutely.
Speaker 3: Not absolutely not, absolutely not.
Speaker 5: All right, Beck, let's flip on over to your side of the room.
Speaker 3: What broke tips you bring into the table this week?
Speaker 7: Okay, So this first one, I didn't catch their name, but they said, hi, all, I'm listening to today's episode and you were talking.
Speaker 2: About public olive trees. I do remember that there's this website I use.
Speaker 6: Called olive trees take a little snippy snip. Yes, yes, correct.
Speaker 7: Sorry, oh my god, I just brush over that without giving anyone any context. But yes, you can make your own little olive things. That also doesn't clear it up anyway. There's a website I use called Falling Fruit, which is a map of public fruit trees. They say, don't be a dic k obviously, and you know, just steal everyone's fruit. But it's a good way to find free fruit in season from feral trees where the fruit would otherwise just rotten be wasted.
Speaker 3: So cool, it's a really good idea.
Speaker 6: I love that there's an app for that. Yeah, I think that's so smart.
Speaker 3: I adore it.
Speaker 5: There's actually on the walk that my husband and I do, there's a fig tree, and if you know me, I adore figs, like figs would be my favorite fruit. But they're so expensive, so like I can't buy them, like like not not because I can't afford them. I don't want people to be like Victoria. We know that you can afford a fit. I can, but I can't justify it like that's like a luxury like that I'm just one figure. They can be like three or four dollars, which I think is just insane for like two, like generously two spoonfuls of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like fruit.
Speaker 5: I just I can't justify it, but they are delicious. And so I have had this fig tree in my radar because I can see the figs aren't right, you're just waiting, waiting, like Jessica, someone ransacked the tree and there's no figs.
Speaker 3: Broken. Oh that's so sad.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well that's the So I'm going to go on this app and find where the other figs are and have a little turn.
Speaker 7: Yeah, several turn, So this one obviously, you know where kind of looking forward now to our future Christmas selves, and we're on every single year. I feel like maybe we're all the same. We're like, Okay, next Christmas, I'm going to be a little bit better.
Speaker 5: But when now's the time to set up your savings account and to the automatic transfers to make sure it actually happens. Totally, you're probably still feeling the sting from Christmas, so set it up while it's still hurts, instead of like letting it get to February or March and you're like, I'll work it out later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 7: Well I that little preface was just to justify this very Christmas paper tip from Katie. So we did mention this, I think a couple weeks ago. But Katy says, buy a roll of brown paper from bigw and paint your own wrapping paper. Kids love it, and my husband and I are making a date night of it. How cute painting paper for the gifts for each other this Christmas. So I think that's a really really cute idea. And obviously if you.
Speaker 6: Have birthdays and stuff too.
Speaker 5: I have been using brown paper for forever. I just changed the decoration that I put on it. Right now, there's going to be so many like Christmas bows and stuff that will be on sale that you could use with brown paper for birthdays. Yes, because like it, just because it's rare doesn't mean it can't be used at a birthday.
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely, absolutely, Yeah, because there are other things you need to wrap throughout the year. So yeah, just keep that in mind for your also for your future Christmas self.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this one I thought was really funny.
Speaker 7: This is also quite Christmasy, but you can use this for any other celebration, but keep it in mind for next Christmas. So do a secret Santa with strictly Facebook marketplace freebies, so you just like, yeah, icon't terrifying. Yeah, but you know, like there's also you know, gum I don't don't know if anyone uses gum tree anymore, but.
Speaker 3: Guy still around.
Speaker 2: I still kind of.
Speaker 7: Use it, But gum Tree there's a free section marketplace free section, just like it's like the marketplace edition of Secret Santa. So I think it's really cute, really funny. Yeah, and you can get some silly things all for free. We love free pair it with your handmade brown paper perfect.
Speaker 3: I love that. That's really cute.
Speaker 5: All right, let's go to a really quick break because on the flip side, we're going to be talking about a money dilemma this week. We're talking investing for kids and something that you slid into our DMS about. We're going to be asking the question whether you should be leaving your job after you didn't get the promotion.
Speaker 3: You went for.
Speaker 5: I feel like that could be spicy, like could be good, could be bad?
Speaker 6: Yeah, sometimes maybe good sometimes maybe. Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 3: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma?
Speaker 5: You just can't solve the sheese on The Money Team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 2: High Team love the podcast.
Speaker 8: I've been listening through your back catalog on investing for children, which has been super helpful, but I was hoping you to give a bit more information on the investment bond that you chose.
Speaker 3: For Harvey Victoria.
Speaker 8: I've had a Google and there seems to be a lot of information on investment bonds, but none from I guess providers that I recognize, and I don't know what I should be looking for in terms of a reputable investment bond or if there are specific brands that are better than others depending on my needs. Hoping that you could give a little bit more of an explainer on how to choose an investment bond and what to look for to set this up in the best possible way for my kids.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much.
Speaker 5: Ooh spicy. This is going to be some personal financial advice which I'm legally not allowed to give.
Speaker 6: So yeah, there is that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's a fun conversation because and this is why we've said, yeah, let's like answer this on the pod, because I'm obviously not going to go, oh, hey, well, the reputable one is X. There are a number of reputable companies in Australia. As I've said on podcasts before, like, I totally understand that you guys, and this is like, I don't know. I feel like I'm being a gatekeeper. And I promise I'm not trying to be a gatekeeper. But I know that I'm a finance expert, Like I know that as a fact. I also know that you guys are so kind and so nice and trust me so much that if I shared the exact investment bond I have for Harvey, You're just going to pick that one.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 5: I know that's what's going to happen. It happens in my team, it happens in my life all the time, where I go, I invest in X, y Z, and then someone will just pick that because I picked that, and that doesn't mean it's.
Speaker 3: The right thing. For you.
Speaker 5: So when you're looking into investment bonds, there are lots of different, very reputable places that offer them here in Australia, right.
Speaker 3: I worked a couple of years.
Speaker 5: Ago, now a year ago with Australian Unity, who are most known for their superannuation. There is Gen Life, they have a lot of investment bond products. They have a child specific investment bond product. There's Centuria Capital, I DOUBLEF you can even find some information on the ASX website about it. I think it's all about finding a company and then validating the information. So if you've never looked into investment bonds, you're probably never going to have heard of Generation Life, right because they specialize in investment bonds. So yeah, you might not have heard of the company, but that doesn't mean they're not super legitimate. So I think it's about then fact checking. You know who's their CEO, what happens, you know, how many customers do they have, how long have they operated for? Like do you feel comfortable with it? And I think for those of you who haven't heard of anvestment bond and investment bond is a way that a lot of people, especially higher income earners, find investing for kids quite attractive because an investment bond is a tax paid investment, which means that the earnings of that investment are actually taxed within the fund, so they're not a part of your personal income tax and you don't have to pay it at your marginal tax rate, which is very sexy, especially for those people who earn those top brackets of marginal income. So does that mean I can make a recommendation.
Speaker 3: Absolutely not.
Speaker 5: But I think it's about doing your own research and starting to look into options and like maybe make a spreadsheet right down the ones that you're finding. But I'm not surprised that you haven't heard of the companies that are offering investment bonds because at the end of the day, a lot of them, they're entire offering is bonds, So why would you have engaged with that platform before.
Speaker 3: So I'm not surprised.
Speaker 5: You've never heard of them, but if you started to dig deeper. So for example, I'm just going to ask you to have you heard of Generation Life before?
Speaker 6: Literally?
Speaker 2: Never?
Speaker 8: Never?
Speaker 5: Cool?
Speaker 3: Have you heard of Grant Hackett before?
Speaker 6: Yes? Is that a queer plas of some sort?
Speaker 5: Yep? Oh yeah, but you know the name, right, Yeah, cool, he's their ceosy.
Speaker 6: Yes, look at it. Bo.
Speaker 5: So like, the more you get into it, the more you're going to learn about the platform and how that works and go oh there are some names I understand.
Speaker 3: So I think it's all about doing your research.
Speaker 5: Because investment bonds they're not that talked about, but like they are very.
Speaker 6: Popular and if you do want to dive into the archives a little bit like our listener, we'll PubL link in the show notes to that episode on Investing VI Kids where you chat about investment bonds. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, all right, let's move on because guys, obviously we had a DM this week and I can't wait to dive in and have a.
Speaker 3: Yap about it. Are you ready?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: Okay, so this week we got a DM. Hey, she is on the money. I need your advice as I'm feeling stuck after a tough year. I went through a promotion. I've been working towards with extra hours and new responsibilities, and I've been getting so much positive feedback, but I still didn't get it. They gave it to someone else, and I'm left wondering if I'm wasting my time. My husband says, the only way to get ahead is to leave and start fresh in the new year, but that idea feels overwhelming. I've invested so much here and I'm scared leaving. We've been throwing it all away. Maybe I'm holding myself back by staying where I'm not valued. The new you feels like a turning point, but I don't know which way to go.
Speaker 3: What would you do?
Speaker 7: This feels very similar to when I started working here. Actually I was on reception and I really wanted to get into like the book at you working your way up thank You, and I spend so much time. But you know, my situation was different, I do want to say, because I was at zero, like no quoals, no anything, and then tried to work my way into video, which is very you know, you would ideally have maybe a degree or something, and so mine was different. But I remember going for a few jobs and just I repeatedly got like really good feedback and everyone was very impressed by like my determination and all this kind of stuff. And I kept getting really good feedback, but then not getting the job and being like, I literally don't know what's happening. I'm I'm about to walk out of here and just give it all up, But I just you know, I.
Speaker 3: Think that she's a tenacious queen.
Speaker 2: She's a tenacious queen.
Speaker 7: Also, I was like, this really is it's who you know, because on my resume right now, no one else is ever going to consider me for the same role.
Speaker 5: Absolutely very sweet hot on freelance now too? Sorry are you not the video editor Ones podcast?
Speaker 2: I am now, I am now, I've really.
Speaker 6: Me.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry? Have you not got a big job as well?
Speaker 2: That's true, I should rephrase it.
Speaker 7: I mean like at the time, I was more like with my current you know, resume, and I was just like, you know that that kind of thing isn't going to be considered anywhere.
Speaker 2: El So for me it was different.
Speaker 7: I do want to say that also, I don't know that this is necessary, but getting ahead looks different for sometimes going to look different for a man and a woman. So I appreciate your husband's support, but it might look a little bit different for you anyway.
Speaker 2: All I'm saying is I would maybe.
Speaker 3: Talk to if it's possible, talk.
Speaker 7: To the person hiring or whoever you have a relationship with there and express that you're probably going to It's very normal to feel completely disenchanted by this point and be like, I actually just worn out now because I keep getting told that I'm doing well, why and my not moving up? Maybe just like discussing that not in like a way. It's like either give me a job or I'm out of here, or give me a promotion' or I'm out of here more. Just like I think I have to cap myself at like I think I'm going to give it six more months if nothing really changes, unfortunately, I do have to like look elsewhere, just kind of like I don't know, maybe if it's a candid if you can have a candid chat with someone about that, that might make them be like, oh crap, we don't want to like get rid of this person and we don't want to lose this person. But even for yourself, maybe give yourself like a mental timeline and be like, if by June next year nothing changes or I'm not even slightly closer, I'm gonna look elsewhere because I feel like the experience someone else will sum there's someone out there that's looking that they'll snap you up.
Speaker 3: What do you reckon, Jess?
Speaker 6: I would seek feedback, I think, like to agree with what you were saying.
Speaker 1: Back.
Speaker 6: I think it's really hard when you're like, I feel like I'm doing all the right things. I'm getting good feedback, I'm meeting my results, I'm hitting my KPIs whatever that looks like for you. I'm doing all the right things, but nothing is changing, you know, And I can understand how for our listener you would think, oh, but what else could I possibly do? What else do you want from me? So I think trying to get the feedback from whoever was hiring, or from your manager, your head of department, whatever, and saying, hey, like, what was the difference, like out of curiosity, like what pushed this person over the edge versus me? Because obviously it's hard outside looking in to know exactly what somebody has going on, or what experience they've got, or what might have you know, maybe it's their personality, it could be, as you were saying, in an element of who you know, like it would be a miss to not acknowledge that that is sometimes a factor. So seeking feedback on what the difference is and saying, hey, like, what do I need to do to get to xyzed? I think setting like really measurable, attainable, actionable things for yourself With that being said, I kind of would echo what your partner said, Like we've spoken about it before. You know, it's people who change jobs every is it three years, two to three years on average, earn more, receive more promotions because they're moving outside of their bubble. And I was talking to a friend about this recently. I think that people, and I put myself very much in this bucket, people who are risk adverse get in our own way. I was reading a biography of a CEO and something that I've seen in a lot of those you know, biographies, in LinkedIn posts, whatever, people reflecting on their experiences. It seems to be that whether it's fate, whether it's luck, whether it's just taking the chance, people who take risks seem to go further. And that is maybe because they're giving themselves the opportunity to do so. And as someone who, as I said, is very risk adverse, I think we have to acknowledge that in a sense, we do g it in our own way a little bit. And even our listener was saying, oh, like, I don't want to throw away the work that I've done. I don't want to do these I don't want to do that Whereas if I think about the people that I know, like Vita, you're a great example, like you'll just go, it's fine, we'll figure it out, jump in feet first.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I scare her on a honestly, you can tell, and it's like not even a bad thing. You can just tell the difference in personalities, like we both definitely type A, but we are both like I'm happy to do risk it for the biscuit, so good, and just as like what you're doing, I'm always like, yes, we'll just jump and then we'll work out what we do next.
Speaker 3: It's fine.
Speaker 6: But it's it's people like you, and I know quite a few people who have that same kind of attribute, And it seems to me, just as an outsider looking in, like sometimes you do just need to go, I'll figure it out, like I'm just going to do it and I'll figure it out. And I know that's easier said than done, because me, it's not cheasy.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine.
Speaker 6: No, no, you can't be doing that. But it's just it's fruit for thought. I suppose it's what I would say, Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 5: I think when I look at this, like jumping a little bit ahead, we asked the question, would missing out on a promotion make you value your worth? An eighty two percent of you said yes, and that's obvious in your DM. So you've said, yeah, like I'm starting to feel undervalued, and you know, obviously I don't know your your situation. It could be super corporate, and yeah, maybe you do feel undervalued, and I don't want to undermine that at all. But I then look at it and say, you know, let's say there was a role that both you two wanted to go for, So Beg you're up for it, and Jes you're up for it. Because I've I've only got one role in my business. That doesn't actually mean that I undervalue both of you or undervalue the one that didn't take that role. Like it can be really hard as the hiring manager to go, okay, cool, Like there's this job going at this workplace. Say it's like, you know, head honcho of X y Z, and Jess really wants it, like she's been working in partnerships for ages and Beck you've been working in video for ages, and you both want it, and you bring different skill sets to the table, And sometimes it genuinely comes down to how you interviewed, not necessarily the above and the beyond, Like, and you know what Jess has done in her role and off, she's been here longer than you, Beck, so she should get like, it's not about that. Sometimes it's literally, Okay, we're going to do a interview. Jess, you're going to interview for it. Beck, you're going to interview for it. And maybe one of you just performed better in that interview. It doesn't mean that your employer doesn't value you. I think that it makes me a bit sad to think that because of the outcome, you see yourself as less or that somebody else might see you as less, And that's not the case at all, because, like I can almost guarantee in your situation, Beck, the jobs that you weren't getting, Like if you had asked for feedback and said he I'd love some feedback about why this person got it, they would have been able to put some real tangible things on the table that you could have then worked towards. So it could have been, oh, well, actually, i'm sorry you didn't get the video producer rollback because actually we had somebody who had a seasoned career in video production and had done a B C DNE and you're a fantastic human being. We don't undervalue you, but you wouldn't be able to bring those things to that job. And so in this particular occasion when we were comparing apples with apples for the job, that square fit better in that square peg hole than your round peg. And sometimes it's just not the right time, it's not the right fit. And it really probably is just me being like we deserve better, like we should value ourselves. I don't think that your value is diminished because you didn't get a job.
Speaker 3: I think we need to reframe it.
Speaker 5: Do what Jes said, let's ask for some feedback, Like I want some tangible feedback as to why I didn't get it. I'm not salty about this, but I want to know so that I can do better, or I can go and study, or I can, you know, take on some more responsibilities that work, so next time I go for the job, I am the perfect candidate. I also just think we should be backing ourselves. Do you know how hard it is to put your hand up for a promotion, Be like, hey, I'd really like to be considered.
Speaker 6: For X Y Z.
Speaker 5: Like you've gotten out of that experience. Some more experience you've got, you know, the ability to interview more confidently next time. You've already shown to your leaders that you are you willing to put yourself out there. Not many people do that, and I think that we just you're not giving yourself enough credit. But then obviously there's that overlay that you're talking about, Jess, where you know, sometimes you do have to leave your bubble to make it bigger. But I also just really want to reiterate that sometimes the bubble's not undervaluing you, you're just in the wrong space for what you're trying to achieve.
Speaker 6: Very good point, but if you are, like if you have applied for a lot of I think they were saying they've applied for a lot of promotions, and you know, if you are feeling that way, I think also you know, once you know what you need to do, you can decide whether or not that's right for you. And if it's not, like maybe you can go and find someone.
Speaker 5: And like, I don't want to say this to both of you right now, but like, what's.
Speaker 3: The harm in having a conversation with a recruiter? Where's the harm?
Speaker 5: Like, totally I don't know, like, yeah, you know, if you're not super happy, go fishing. If you that's fine at home, keep your eyes, have a little brows on seek like there's no harm in just like.
Speaker 3: Have a little peak.
Speaker 5: But what you're saying is you haven't given me enough context. So I'm assuming you don't have that answer because you said they gave it to someone else. And now I'm now wondering if I wasted my time. You would not be saying you wasted your time if someone turned around and said, oh my god, did you know that Jess actually has been doing partnerships for three years and like she can bring x Y z ah, I didn't waste my time at all, Like I'm just really glad Jess got that opportunity or vice versa. Like if I just went for a video production role and you got it, she'd be like, but I'm really passionate about it. I'd be like, but did you know Beck's been doing x fis like you just don't know what you don't know?
Speaker 7: And also no experience is a waste of time. Arguably exactly theory, but that's a story for another time.
Speaker 6: You've never wasting your time when everyone else say.
Speaker 3: So back to the question.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: We did ask our community a few questions. I read out this one before. Would missing out on a promotion make.
Speaker 3: You value worth?
Speaker 5: Eighty two percent of you said yes, I get that. Eighteen percent of you said nope, one promotion doesn't define me. That's the energy we want to bring into next year. We then asked the question what is more important to you? Forty nine percent of you said stability, security matters more, and fifty one percent of you said, my career growth.
Speaker 3: The risk is worth it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, even split.
Speaker 5: Some of you address some of you are victoria. We then said, all right, we're gonna need your two cents. What does that look like? And we had a lot of colorful conversation. So someone said, I missed out on a promotion recently too. I didn't interview well on the day it happens.
Speaker 6: Yeah. True.
Speaker 5: Someone else said, maybe the other person was just better. It doesn't mean you weren't good.
Speaker 3: Just keep going.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Another person said, company loyalty is not rewarded for career growth and better pay. Change your job often, that's what the stats say. Someone else said, what's more important? Neither of those options? Flexibility, job satisfaction.
Speaker 3: And work life balance.
Speaker 6: I like that.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 5: Another person said, I think it's important to ask for feedback before spiraling into why not me and I'm not valued fair? Yeah, that's where I'm sitting. Someone else said, speak to your superiors about how you're feeling right now. And someone else said, I'm actually in this spot right now, and sadly, I'm probably going to choose the stability right now because my mortgage is expensive and cost of living.
Speaker 6: That's totally valid.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Someone else said, they're on your page, Beck. They said the sunk cost fallacy effect. Think about what they've given you versus your output.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's time to go. Ah, well, I was. I was saying this on.
Speaker 5: A podcast the other a little while ago. Actually, I shared a quote that I believe my dad told me. He said that if you don't get off the train soon, the return ticket's going to cost you a lot more.
Speaker 2: Oh that is a great.
Speaker 5: And I was like, oh, it's true, Like, yeah, I might have already paid for the train ticket, but like it's the wrong train, So if I don't get off now, can take you on going to get that It's going to take me longer. It's going to be more expensive to get back.
Speaker 6: Like, I like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like isn't it cute?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Very strapping the truth Bob exactly.
Speaker 5: Someone else said same situation four weeks later, though new job closer fancy a title forty grand more take the risks, So I'll leave it there.
Speaker 3: I won't read out anymore. I feel like that's a good place to leave it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 6: Should we get into the blue?
Speaker 5: Oh, I cannot scate, I cannot waste scared.
Speaker 6: I'm scared, embarrassing. We tell you a lot of stuff like you guys hear such a polished, lovely episode because our incredible team make it so.
Speaker 5: But oh my god, we are unhinged and probably shouldn't be on the airwaves. Sometimes absoletely that roll the tape.
Speaker 9: Well, it's been another great year if she's on the money for twenty twenty four, And trust me when I say that, as always, things were a lot more chaotic behind the scenes.
Speaker 6: This did my eyes like get stuck together because they got that was not good content.
Speaker 9: Besides the chaos, you'll be happy to hear that not a lot has changed. Victoria still has a favorite time of the day.
Speaker 5: She could have got more, but at the end of the day. At the end of the day, you know what it is subjective, but at the end of the day, I just think everything you do is good because even if at the end of the day, like the end of the day, they're a service.
Speaker 9: Jess is still so sure of civil rights that she'd make a great private detective. And we discovered this when she was looking through photos on her phone for the next money win of the week.
Speaker 2: Thank you that that's a photo of a truck that was tail.
Speaker 3: He had no break.
Speaker 9: Beck still thinks that the microphones can't hear her if she whispers, what if.
Speaker 1: You got.
Speaker 3: Better whispering?
Speaker 5: Guess anybody?
Speaker 9: And Lucy is still wandering the halls of the building while the girls record.
Speaker 6: Like all those kinds of things impact your credit squoils, door opening or am I am I having a stroke?
Speaker 3: Did that?
Speaker 6: I'm not wearing my contact so I'm like, I can't.
Speaker 3: Tell if it's like it was.
Speaker 9: But there have been some changes too. Beck has started to think everyone is psychic and knows what she's trying to say.
Speaker 2: So I went through and I had what's a word?
Speaker 9: What's the word?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: You're telling your story, not me, Betty Cakes.
Speaker 2: You know, there's so many like reds that are like.
Speaker 6: What's.
Speaker 9: No, it's Jess may have a secret identity.
Speaker 3: Homek which.
Speaker 2: You are very.
Speaker 9: And Victoria's mumbrain is keeping us in overdrive to ensure nothing dirty ends up on the show.
Speaker 5: Maybe Jess needs a job and she's on the money and it could be V in two JS.
Speaker 6: Your face just then, why was that funny? It's loadly.
Speaker 9: Jess is also doing that. She just doesn't have an excuse.
Speaker 6: I switched to amaze him after being loyal to a big tail.
Speaker 9: Come overall, it's been a great year for She's on the money, or as V would call it.
Speaker 3: Hi, she's on the funny. Oh my god, that's really actually crying.
Speaker 5: I am actually low key disappointed that Sam didn't pull together more of your private detective work.
Speaker 3: You are always talking. It's been a good year, guys. It has been a good year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been really fun. I love you guys.
Speaker 3: I love doing this.
Speaker 5: It is so fun, even if we sometimes don't have the words.
Speaker 3: Or the brains. Apparently, according to me, nothing.
Speaker 7: Funny than when someone misses mess the word Usually it's yes, I want to say, Usually it's yes.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 3: Here is the kettle black.
Speaker 2: That's very true.
Speaker 5: You haven't stopped whispering into my corn that no one knows what.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 2: On that note, let's go for a fantastic year.
Speaker 3: Guys. It's been a time. See next year, guys.
Speaker 2: Bye bye.
Speaker 5: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money Shopper pty Ltd ABN three two one IS six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine