Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Sitdown. I'm viv Christie, managing editor of Australian Tennis magazine, and.
Speaker 2: I'm Matt Trolope, a writer for oz open dot com.
Speaker 1: And Matt, why are we sitting down this week with Matt Ebden and Storm Hunter.
Speaker 2: Well, we've actually already sat down with Matt and Storm in previous episodes of the Sitdown, which you could listen to in the feed if you would like to go back, But we found that we spent so much time with both of them that the conversation viewed into some really interesting areas around state of the game, strength of Ossie Tennis, marketing doubles, and just kind of the product of tennis generally and how it appeals to fans and maybe what can be done in terms of innovation in the game. And they both had really really interesting things to say about it. So we made the decision to actually save that conversation and bring that to you in one episode together to hear both of their thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: Matt, there's been some tinkering recently with the doubles format as we saw in Madrid. What did you make of those changes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so there's been a review of bubbles this last year. Really, I've been fortunate to be on the player council. We've sad and part of that review. So we've had a panel of eleven or twelve people for everybody from a top staff to X doubles players, current doubles players. We've asked singles players about doubles. We've asked tournament directors, Grand slams, media, fans, broadcasters, marketing departments, sort of try to get all the sides of this doubles product, let's say, just because we at the beginning of last week thought we've got this product here and it's sort of there. It's behind singles. That's fine, it has its place, but I didn't felt it was being maximized for whatever reason, and so we just kind of wanted to delve into it. And they've never really done a true review of you know, what's the purpose of doubles, Where does it sit? Why is it there? What's its value? What's its value to fans, to tournaments, the players, to broadcasters, to the whole game, let's say. And yeah, so we kind of worked backwards and the Madrid trial was as a result of well that working review in progress where Madrid came and said, yeah, we're excited about doubles. We're teen to try and do something here to be on the forefront of the future of doubles, let's say, and the next generation of it and where it goes as an entertainment product as well. So yeah, it was about quickening up the dead time. So obviously doubles the points are shorter, but people do like the action. They like seeing the volleys, the you know, the their skills on off the quick action points. But because the points work quicker, and the long amount of time between the points and then the changeovers, for every one minute of action, there was probably four or five minutes of dead time, let's say. So we just try to quicken up the time between the points and particularly the changeovers as well, just so that fans could come and watch the match for an hour and just see rolling action, you know, return winners, aces, volley winners, smash winners, epic point here in there, just see all those skills just on constant play and make it also more fan friendly. They've let fans be able to come and go as they wish. They can come in on the side if they want. But ten fifteen minutes, they don't have to wait for change of ends. Just all these things to make it more fan friendly and then potentially more broadcast friendly too, so that you know, if they want to have it on TV, there's not showing a product with too much dead time.
Speaker 3: If you were a tennis commissioner, what would you prioritize to make Doubles the most entertaining it can be for fans?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, marketing number one. Marketing. I think it's been clear too this last year we've seen, you know, the Doubles has never really been given its own platform of marketing. It's it's always just drip fed in and through the singles, which is fine, and that's fine. It will never be singles, and it doesn't profess to be singles. But I think, let's say, for every opportunity that singles has that Doubles doesn't have, I think Doubles has an opportunity that singles doesn't have. So where singles is long drawn out, epic, physical mental, Doubles is shorter, more execution based. There's two people on the court, so I think there is more time for it to be a bit more fan friendly, a bit more entertainment focused, a bit more like an NBA product, let's say, with more almost side entertainment or music happening, or fans being able to engage more with players. Yeah, I think it's no secret that all sports these days are going towards more fan friendly, entertainment based and let's say even slightly quickening things up where possible. Obviously, don't want to ruin the product. It's important to maintain our traditions and our heritage of why our game is great. But if we can modify a little bit just to make that entertainment product purely for fans, for it to be fun and engaging, but then also as a spectator sport to watch not only at the tournament but online streaming on TV, I think it's the best formula for a whole sport. Movie forward just doubles. But even see those two.
Speaker 2: And hearing you talk like this, obviously you're on the player council, it sounds like you're someone that is invested in like the future of the sport. You're passionate about tennis and you want to see it be as good as it can be. There's been for years now so much conversation about what will tennis look like when the big three go and when Serena goes, and we're now starting to see it. Roger and Serena have gone Rafa's towards the end. But at the same time, we've got now Carlos Alcarez, the world number one and two, Sinner and Alcarez and Fiontek and Goff and they're all twenty three and under. And when you see this new generation coming up, is the future in good hands despite us coming out of what is like a golden generation of tennis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, and great question, and I'm glad you asked. So it really is. I mean, this year alone, we've seen record crowds, records, spectatorships, views online rome. I mean, obviously it was raph As last row as well, so they had a part in that. But even the tournaments where these guys are not, people are coming for the events. And that's also one thing we've also discovered in doubles. People aren't necessarily just coming to watch singles or doubles or this person or that person. And even if we look back the last ten twenty years, sure you can find three or four or five incredible marquee players that will sell out a stadium just with their own name Federer and Nadal, Djokovic, maybe any Murray in the UK or whatever. But other than that, there's guys who are in the top ten or in the top ten, in the top twenty that are kind of sleeper names that they're not going to necessarily just with their name phil a stadium, but people are coming for the event. So that's what we've seen with the AO. Now, people are coming because they want to go to the AO. They don't necessarily have to go and see Hubert Hurtkash, who's the number eight player in the world. I don't think they really care that much about that. They want to see great tennis. They know they're going to get it. They're going to get the best players in the world all competing against each other for big prize money, big titles, let's say. And that's what it's becoming about. So I'm kind of glad in a way that our sport, of course, it's about your heroes and your champions, and it always is. Those people carry they carry it. But I think tennis has done well this last fifteen years in the marketing and gross space to market you know, fifty players, one hundred players, the next gen players, people from their own country getting highlighted more, you know, Davis Cup, this, that and the other, and growing the whole tennis ecosystem from the young players, the middle aged players, the older players, even the ex players, the legends. The coaches are now even more in the limelight on TV. But bringing coaching in. So you said Alca has one Carls Ferrero is a former world number one. Then he's forty five or fifty years old, whatever he is, and a lot of people out there wouldn't know it, but the guy's you know, big world number one, is incredible player, and now he's taking a huge part because you know, you see him on the sidelines constantly coaching. And so yeah, so to now I have alkaraz Sinna coming up. I mean I've seen these guys since they started three, four, five years ago in qualifying of some of the tour events or sort of like, jeez, who's that guy. He's a serious player. I was like, that's not normal what that guy's doing. And it's no secret been able to follow those guys the last few years and their progression, and it's no secret that they will then take over and it's the same and we sort of think, oh Federer or whatever, but you've got to remember that before them, it was sam Press and Agasy and whoever else. So those guys came when probably people will going, oh, will tennis ever be the same without sam Press and Agasy? And then look what happened. You know, Federer was born and Nadal was born, in Djokovic and now you had Medvedevi in there little and then you know, now Alkaraz and Sinner are born. And the way they're tracking, al Karaz is tracking better than Rafa Roger and Djokovic combined. So he's on track to win in I mean, probably at least ten slams, but twenty twenty five, thirty is not impossible the way he's tracking so similar with Sinner, he's one one now. But I mean, and they are incredibly hard to get. And when when people go, oh, he's gonna win thirty slams, you know, let's just be a little bit realistic here. And then the field's incredibly hard. It's incredibly tough physically, mentally, it's it basically takes a human operating at their full capacity with a lot of people around them and a lot of luck and all these things to go right to win that many as Novak and Raffa have. Let's say, but these guys are now learning from what Ovak and Raffa did the last fifteen years with all their teams and their daughter and the doctors and the physios and coaches, let's say, to now be ahead of the game. So and this next generation, you know, beat the previous generation. And if we look at throughout history, it's actually sort of what's happened. So you know, in the fifties sixties, every decade someone's won three Wimbledons. In the next decade someone's coming one five, and you know, in the nineties s Mbres one seven and it was like, oh my gosh, that's no one will ever be that. Now, come over back them, Roger winning eight nine, ten, Raffas won twelve Frenchies or something, you know. So it's natural that every generation will learn from the previous generations and probably get better the science around it, and probably the results get better. So we're in for an exciting time this next ten years.
Speaker 2: When we chatted to Matt Ebden for this podcast, we asked him about the changes to doubles that were debuted in Madrid and Apparently that involved a lot of consultation with the player counsel and other stakeholders about how do we improve the product that is doubles. You're one of the top doubles players in the world and you're watching a lot of tennis. Now, like, what is to you the fan experience watching tennis and consuming it. Do you think we're doing a good job? Is there something tennis could do better? And I don't know, what would you like to see, maybe to particularly improve doubles, because they're often saying we need to get more fans invested in doubles, but maybe just.
Speaker 5: Generally, Yeah, I think for me, one of the biggest things is like trying to shorten up the time between points and sets, toilet breaks, like those type of things, because as a fan, like when you're watching the match, like you kind of you're so invested into it, and then when there's like a long break, you kind of like almost you kind of get over it. I'll go like start cooking, then you kind of forget about it. In a way, I definitely think like we can, yeah, kind of shorten like either warm ups again or just in between points, like there's so much like dead time, especially in doubles because the points are like I don't know what the average rally length would be, but it wouldn't be that long.
Speaker 3: Obviously, in singles.
Speaker 2: Might be shorter than singles, right, it would.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent be shorter than singles. It must be like three or four kind of shots macs. Whereas singles, I understand it's longer. You do need that recovery time, and especially if you're playing on a big court because there's so much more space you've got to walk from and get.
Speaker 2: Your toil out to get to the towels. Actually like a ten twenty walk.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so like all that stuff kind of yeah impacts that. But I think in doubles, like we can have shorter breaks. You don't need like kind of all this time. But in terms of the product, like there's a lot of on the women's side, I find there's a lot of singles players playing doubles. Maybe on the men there's more doubles specific players and the singles guys don't play as much. And that's what they're trying to do is get more singles players to play doubles, so then the fans will probably be a bit more I guess engaged. But on the women's side, like there's actually a lot of players that, yeah, singles players that play doubles and who are doing really well, like Coco, great example, Elise mertens Kaleeni French Finals, see exactly Cat my partner who I was playing with. Like, there's so many actually that that play and I think people get invested into that story as well. So I mean I didn't mind the trial I found, to be honest, some of the singles players that were playing in Madrid in the men's doubles, like I still didn't really know who they were, Like they were ranked maybe sixty or seventy, and I'm like, I don't really see why they should get in over a doubles guy who's ranked forty in the world or thirty in the world. So I think it's a good concept, but I think they probably need to yeah, just yeah, just I guess edited and work out kind of the entry requirements and yeah, if they want like top ten guys to play, do they get a wild card or kind of like a different type of entry system or however it's going to look. But it is interesting because then you go to Indian Wells and they love.
Speaker 2: Doubles there, doubles and Indian Wells is like so many singles players playing. They've got something downpat there that seems to attract everyone to play both.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't. I think maybe it's a two week event because if you lose early, you don't really want to go to Miami like super early, so they almost like want to stay, which I think now that the Master events are all going to become two week events starting, I think next year they're all going to be two weeks, so that will probably get a few more singles players to play. Also, prize money is a good incentive because I think if you do the Indian Wells double in singles and doubles, you might get a bonus as well. I think there's like something maybe on the men's side, so yeah, yeah, And then I think the fans just like they all play doubles themselves, like they're a little bit older, and I think they appreciate like watching doubles because that's something that they can relate to because like I'll get fans ask me Indian well I was like, oh, so why did you play like the I formation or like the.
Speaker 2: Actually asks fall tennis nerd on you yeah, and I love it.
Speaker 4: I love it's great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, so it's yeah, it's really cool.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I didn't really answer that very well. No, no, no, you absolutely did. And I think it was one thing we thought when we were talking to matter. It's just good that they're kind of having those conversations and like not standing still, like how can we get better? What can we try? And as you said, like they tried these things, this was good. Maybe they have to tweak that or revisit that, but it's kind of innovation and experimentation, why not.
Speaker 5: Yeah, one hundred percent. I think that's something in tennis like maybe they haven't done as well. Is like there's a lot of sports that are like trying to find new ways to kind of keep it entertaining or bring in drawing a crowd and like just yeah, keep evolving, like you kind of need to keep evolving. And like I think, yeah, I think Matt's on the council, so he's probably yeah, right in those conversations with what's going on. But no, I think it's actually really good that they're trialing things. And yeah, when you do something for the first time, it's never going to be like perfect, So you've got to kind of adapt and change and adjust. But yeah, I think for me, shortening a few things is positive for ten, Like not for us as players, but as fans. I think is really important. Even just the fact that now this year, like fans are allowed to walk in between yeah, in between points and stuff like.
Speaker 2: It's and coming not necessarily a changeover, right, Yeah, at the end of any any game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, which I think is also great because like, I don't know, if you have to wait three games or two games and it's fifteen minutes, like, it's kind of.
Speaker 2: Have you been stuck there when that's happened? I have, Yeah, it's horrible, right, You're just like, can you hurry up the stairwell for twenty minutes waiting to getting because I went to the bathroom at the wrong time or something. Yeah, but yeah, that was a that was achan. Did you find that tricky to because that is an adjustment for the play. Suddenly there's more movement and maybe more noise and stuff in your eyeline. Did you have any issues with that?
Speaker 5: I didn't, to be honest, like I didn't even notice. And during the Australian Open, like I had no idea about this rule change until like I just saw some comments online about some players complaining. But I mean when you're playing obviously on the outside courts, like you don't really realize because people are walking past, it's like kind of loud, so you actually kind of get used to that. But I think if you're a player who's always playing on the big courts where it's quiet, there's like you know, it's it's in the stadium court, so you probably would notice like a bit of the movement and stuff. But I think if it's as long as it's just the bottom row, maybe you can't because that's right behind where you're serving, so you can kind of get a little bit distracted or lose the ball if there's like a lot of movement. But like upper Rose, it should be every Slam or every tournament, like it should be totally fine, and even on the outside courts, like you should be able to move around because like also it creates a little bit of out as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a bit more of a buzz. Yeah yeah, I guess also getting you to put your Aussie tennis hat on. We've got a group of young girls that are kind of coming up there's a whole bunch of them. You've got Taylor Preston, Tylie Gibson, Maya Joint, Olivia Gadecki. They're all now into that top two hundred and kind of trending in a really good ways. What do you make of that kind of that generation or crop of girls that are coming up and you know your connection with them, like do they ask you for advice? Do you hit with them? Like, what's what's your relationship with them?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's been it's been really nice to see those younger girls come through. They're all, yeah, top two hundred, going to play Wimbled and qualities. I think Maya for the first time other than Aussie Open playing Collies of a Grand Slam. And Taylor's now been there a little bit the last i'd say six to eight months, which is great. But you know, as one of the older athletes, Australian players, I try and reach out to them and just you know, say that you know I'm here too if you ever want to chat, congratulate them on their results, check in and stuff. So Taylor, obviously Taylor and Tali are being from Wa, I've kind of I'm a little bit older, so I didn't grow up with them, but just having that, I guess Bonders of West Australian we've always kind of stayed in touch and Taylor been on the villaging kickup.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was going to say that she was in the squad with you in Brisbane, Ryan, and has been in another time.
Speaker 5: She was Orange Girl two years ago in Spain.
Speaker 2: Wait Spain. Yeah, well she was at the finals. I'm pretty sure was it.
Speaker 4: Glasgow?
Speaker 5: Yes, she was there for the first time, and I think all of us on the team she was young. She was seventeen then and that so that was two years ago and we just all were amazed at how well she held herself. And I mean, first of all, her ball striking on court just went for it like didn't care that she was She was not intimidated by any of us, you know, and went for such great ball striking, super positive player. And then off the court the way she handled herself, like are you really seventeen.
Speaker 2: Or twenty two?
Speaker 4: So mature? Yeah, so mature.
Speaker 5: And I was just such a great, great person to have a round then for her to be selected for Brisbane and then to come out and play the second day as well and have her debut was for me, obviously, with everything that happened with me the day two days before. That was my highlight was to be able to watch this young girl from wa achieve this kind of milestone for the first time, to make her debut and to win and play well to win the tie for us to qualify was Yeah, it was incredible. I was so happy for her and to see her kind of having really good success and you know, going for it, going on the clay.
Speaker 4: She left straight away.
Speaker 5: From Brisie to go to Europe and get on the clay, and like she's not intimidated by anything. She's kind of going for it. And I love that she has, you know, a long term coaching relationship with Brad and they've just she's got a good head on her shoulders and that's really cool to see.
Speaker 1: Well, Matt, isn't it wonderful to hear such experienced voices giving their time to the next generation of tennis and how the game unfolds in the future.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. I think tennis is in great hands with Storm and Matt both kind of at the top of the game and interested in where it goes. Right. Well, we'll be back again next Monday. When we sit down with Alicia Mulleck on the twentieth anniversary of her run to the Olympic bronze medal in Athens. And in the meantime, you can listen to John and the team this Thursday on the Aoshow Weekly.
Speaker 1: Details for how to contact us are in the show notes, and please subscribe, rate and review.
Speaker 2: See you next week, Matt, see y Viv