Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yor the Order Kerni Whaltbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast that let's you be pervy about other people's money stories for educational purposes, of course. Welcome back to another one of our Money Diaries episodes where I get the absolute privilege of sitting down and talking to one of our beautiful She's on the Money community members all about their journey. Let's jump straight into it, because this week I got a message and it sounded exactly like this, Dear She's on the Money. We grew up quite poor and it was especially bad in high school. I remember Dad couldn't afford our textbooks or my school fees. My parents each worked two jobs and we'd go with mom and dad every school night to their second job, cleaning offices. I've been trying to overcome my scarcity mindset, and in the last two years, thanks to She's on the money, I have savings for the first time, I've invested for the first time in shares, and I was able to help my parents while they were overseas getting treatment for my mum money diarists.
Speaker 2: That was a fit emotional.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness. Yeah, I just feel like there's a lot to unpack there, like not only are you a super special person, but like mom and dad working two jobs and like cleaning offices, Like what Queen and king are they?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 4: I just feel like they're the types of pearance that you just know love the shit out of their kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 4: Oh that's so special money doce. I want to ask so many questions before we get there, though, What would you grade your money habits if I asked you to give them a grade from A through TOIR?
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm going to say a C, and I only say that because the last like eighteen years of my life have been like really bad scarcity mindset, kind of like not really saving. It's something been in the last two years, maybe last year, that I've been able to turn it around. So I'm basing that grade like overall, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I can already see why you have a scarcity mindset and how challenging it would be to move on from that, Like it's just so ingrained in everything that you do, and even the fact that you want to talk about it, like it's so special. So let's just dive in. Can you tell me a little bit more about your money story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we grew up family six. We lived in a three bedroom house, nothing fancy. It was my older sister in one room and then me and my two other siblings in another. We had a bunk bed and single bed kind of like side my side, and we'd make little thoughts so.
Speaker 4: Cute though and good memories.
Speaker 2: I don't really remember much in terms of like childhood distresses there. It was more when we got into high school, Dad not being able to afford our textbooks, let us be sent home about school fees being over due. Just like this memory that sticks out in my head. And every time I think about it, I get a bit worked up. Because Dad couldn't afford the textbooks, and my sister was two grades above us. We were re using her Italian workbook and obviously she'd written in it, and I decided to like liquid paper over it or like rub out where she'd written it. And I was like so embarrassed that I had this like secondhand workbook and everybody had these like pristine white new work books. And that was like really triggering for me.
Speaker 4: I feel like that it's always the small things, right, Like it's always the small things that you remember that really had an impact. And that doesn't mean that we need to do all the small things right as parents, right because we honestly are doing our best. It's always that sticking point, right, Like I even remember like way back, you know, definitely not a similar situation, but a sticking point for me. I desperately wanted the school bag, like the one with the logo on it. I didn't just want a Kmart school bag, which is what I had. I wanted the school bag that every other kid had. And one was like that is a waste of money, Like absolutely not, We're not getting that, and I'm still like, oh, I just wanted to feel like I had the same school bag from my public primary school that everybody else had, but I just had plainline. It was fine, and like all of that worked, but it's always that that sticking point that you think everybody is paying attention to, but I can promise you they're not. But for you, that was pivotal.
Speaker 2: Even the embarrassment of like, oh, we have Ali snacks. I don't want to shop at Aldi. That's so embarrassing. And now I'm like freaking our I love a healthy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's all about mindset, right because as a kids like you don't have a lot of markers of what success looks like. You don't have the ability to step up and be like okay, yeah, but like you're just saying, and like I have in my head the bi low packets of chips, like I remember those and being oh, kind of have the Smiths one. They're like completely printed and all pink, and like kind of have that in my lunch box. It's the same thing. Like you best believe my kids are also not getting their name brand chips. It's just not happening, Like that's not an option. So yeah, it's so interesting. So what happened after that? Like how did life go?
Speaker 2: So they really struggled. So they got to a point I think we're in like ye eight Mas twenty and I were in the eight you know, nine, were the youngest of the four girls. They started having to pick up a second job, and we would go with them every night to do these like night jobs, and Mum would say, if you just help us, we'll get it done faster and we'll be able to get out of here. But we were just these like young kids and all like whatever, and we'd potter around and not really help. And so like the second jobs will run until like eleven pm midnight, they'd go home, sleep and be up by like five am to get to their day jobs. Mum would commute into the eastern subbs, which was like an hour and a half two buses and a train to clean and then come back. Dad worked in a factory. See, it was really hard and I actually found out I don't why.
Speaker 4: I'm going to self that thank you for being so vulnerable the toll of like the financial stresses.
Speaker 2: Dad actually did have a mini stroke during that time that we didn't find out about until just a couple of years ago. But Dad, now he's like, of course I was stressed about money, but I was doing it for my future and for your future. It's now like okay, but it doesn't hurt any less knowing that he was under that much press that he would have a mini stroke.
Speaker 4: That's a lot. That feels like a really heavy burden, that feels like you are probably feeling really guilty. Yes, there's no guilt there, Like I can promise if I sat down your parents and said would you do it again? They'd say, hands down, absolutely, Like I already know they'd be like, oh my goodness, we love our kids so much more than we could ever explain, and we are so insanely proud of them. They probably look at you and go, that's why we did what we did, Like they don't regret it for a date. And I think that by carrying guilt it does nothing like it literally, like guilt is an emotion that you feel because you feel like you should have done something different or changed, but you've still got a beautiful relationship with your parents, Like it's not as though you lost that. In fact, I feel like they've instilled this beautiful work ethic into you. That is so nice, and like, I know that it feels heavy, but like, I'm just so grateful that you still have your dad here, Like, oh, I'm sorry that it is so heavy, but I'm just so grateful that you've been so vulnerable and actually want to share this because it's so so hard to talk about too, right it is. Yeah, so obviously all of that happened. What happened when you turned eighteen? Like, when did you get your first job? Tell me all about that.
Speaker 2: So, my first job was at the cinemas. I applied when I was fifteen. That's a cool girl job, the best job I've ever had, hands down. I tell my little niece, she's thirteen, I say, go and work at the cinema. It is so much fun. That was my first job. It's actually where I met my now de Fucto partner.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, love.
Speaker 2: But I wasn't very good at saving back then either. So things haven't really turned around until I started listening to She's on the money, But that's okay.
Speaker 4: We were just on our own journey. Yeah, so talk to me about that. So you got your first job at the cinema and then you turned eighteen, did you change jobs, Like, what does that career trajectory look like?
Speaker 2: I didn't go to UNI just because I was like, oh, I think i'd rather work. So I got a job in a magazine company.
Speaker 4: Very cool.
Speaker 2: Then from there I went to the equivalent of like a group on. Then we got bought out by Groupon. Then I was made redundant.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's so stressful.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, and now I'm in the job that I was at after I was made redundant. I've been there for years now.
Speaker 4: And so tell me what do you do for work now? And how much do you earn?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So I'm a product manager for a tech company in the food industry. I earn one hundred thousand a year, and I just as on Monday, actually got a twenty percent pay rise.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, what in this economy? I joined tom pay rise iconic.
Speaker 2: I hadn't had one in many, many years. I'd actually transitioned from a role within the company into product management.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, and they haven'tted up. So they've been a little cheeky, very very grateful to get that, very privileged.
Speaker 2: So now that takes me to one twenty.
Speaker 4: Look at you go. Did you ever think you'd earn over one hundred grand. Like that's pretty cool, right, No way.
Speaker 2: I remember when we brought our house in two thousand and eleven, I was earning. I would think I was on like forty grand at the magazine company. I could barely with my month's wages cover my repayment.
Speaker 4: But you did it. Yeah, Just like look at your money story. And we don't even know the half of it yet, but like, look at your money story in comparison to your parents, Like what a bloody privilege the sacrifices they made meant that you got here. And I am already convinced that your work ethic would be so high, Like I already know the reason you're in that job for the last eight years is because they're probably obsessed with you and the fact that you go above and beyond. And you know what, I already know you go above and beyond because you haven't had a pay rise in so long. And you're like, you know, that's fine, Like it's all good. I've just got work to do. Absolutely not, my queen, absolutely not. So I'm so excited, Like your parents must just be like, look, it was worth it, Like it was so worth it and it feels trashy looking back, but like, I think that being grateful for the journey and trying to change your mindset around that is going to be really positive. Like, and it's so hard to do, right, It's not something that's easy, And you look back and you feel like really guilty, but you're like, how do I changed this into gratitude? Like obviously as a kid, you were like, I don't want to be here cleaning offices. I'm gonna doord all around And you're like, oh my god, I would have done so much more had I known. Your parents didn't want you to know, babe, your parents didn't want to put that burden on a child, and they were just trying to make it as easy and nice as possible. Like we're all just out here doing the best that we can. So I just think that that's something that maybe we can work on together. So talk to me a little bit more about big money goals. You said him twenty and eleven, basically when you were still a baby, because you're thirty six now.
Speaker 2: I was twenty three when we bought our.
Speaker 4: House, so first home at twenty three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm like, was pretty resistant to it. I was like, oh, it's so. It was three hundred and twenty thousand, so nothing like what people are paying now. So yes, very privileged. My now partner was like, you've just got to see the vision. I was like, this place is gross. Want it no, but obviously super grateful that we did it when we did. But it was a struggle at the start, like even trying to make repayments. My half of the repayments was a struggle. But now obviously things are way better.
Speaker 4: So tell me about now, like what are we currently working towards? What are your big money goals? Obviously having purchased a home in twenty eleven, I wouldn't say set you up for life, but like it would definitely set you on the right path. Yes, we're definitely going to talk about scarcity mindset, but like we're not completely behind the eight ball here, So what are we currently working towards? What are our big money goals?
Speaker 2: So up until maybe like December January, it was saving to be off work for a while. I have I think they call it like spondylosis or something like that, where the discs in like your L five S one which is responsible like bending and twisting and that it's degraded down to like fifteen percent.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: And so I need to have back surgery and it's meant to be like quite a big recovery.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Both my parents have had significant back surgery. There's a lot of downtime and a lot of physio and a lot of everything after.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they need to insert like a cage into the disk space to raise the hype back up. It's pretty gross.
Speaker 4: Yep, like just fix it. I actually don't want to hear anything about it. I understand it, whereas my mom's the opposite. It's like, tell me all of that if you've got pictures, like.
Speaker 2: Oh mom, no, so one saving for that. But my GP had put me on controversially weight loss injections to help me prep for surgery. Apparently the lighter you are, the easier it is to recover from the surgery, and there's like less to move about coming in from the front. But that seems to have helped with some of the symptoms that I've been having. So I'm deferring the surgery.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Really, yes, And they say don't have back surgery when you're young, because it does make it harder when you get.
Speaker 4: Older obviously if there's no other option, but like, how good that you had access to this, And like I know that you said controversially, I just feel like it's actually none of my bloody business. We're talking about a prescription medication here that you accessed from your doctor under correct consultation, like full stop in a story. That's not my business, like to have an opinion on a drug. I'm not a doctor, I'm not a pharmacist. I'm an ex financial advisor. It's not my place. Like, I just see so much of it online, Like I'm real pervy, so I do definitely watch the tiktoks and stuff about it, but like, be for real, Like imagine having an opinion on somebody else's health. Ill, David, I love shit script.
Speaker 2: The weird thing is the injections aren't doing what they're meant to do, so I'm not losing any weight, but it's I guess helping the pain side of things. So I'm like, if that stops me having to have back surgery, I will do it.
Speaker 4: Honestly, that's so good. I'm so excited for you that you found maybe something a little bit different on one because it's so expensive, but two like that is such a significant surgery that does really impact life forever, Like, oh my goodness, so you are saving for that? Are they any other big money goals you're currently working towards.
Speaker 2: Well, now I'm trying to like rethink what I want to do. I definitely want to build up my eight shares. And I think i'd like to travel because we've had a house since we were quite young, We've not really traveled at all. Yeah, and I would love to do maybe like six months off and do like Europe and a couple of other places, just to like tick that off the list. We're dinks, double income.
Speaker 4: No kids, And is that going to ever change?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I love that. And is that something that when you're talking about financial planning, you guys like, all right, so we just don't think kids are on the cards. That's cool. But does that mean that we're having conversations about like traveling significantly or are we talking about retiring early? Like what are those conversations? Like, I can't relate.
Speaker 2: It's a one sided conversation, to be honest. Yeah, Okay, I really want to travel. He's pretty easy going. He's like, if you don't want kids, that's fine. Like we don't have to have kids. If you want to travel, that's fine too. Like, he's pretty easy going. I think he would like to retire.
Speaker 4: Early, but we need a plan for that, so so we're going to have to start talking about it.
Speaker 2: Luckily, we're in really privileged physicians to own a good amount of money, so if we wanted to, we just kind of hammer away it, you know, setting ourselves up to retire early.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's very cool, So talk to me a little bit more. We mentioned scarcity mindset and how over the last eighteen years it's something that you've really struggled with and you haven't until recent times, really felt like you've been on top of it. How does that impact you day to day Because like, let's be honest, and people are going to think, oh my gosh, relatable. But then also, you told us you have a house, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It's a very good thing. But like I know that scarcity mindset comes in many different forms. How's that impacting you? What does that look like?
Speaker 2: I guess this like compulsion to check my budget spreadsheet every week, check my bank account all the time, even though I know that we're okay, it's the what if we were to lose everything tomorrow? And I think even a bigger driver is with that scarcity mindset. It is like helping my parents if they ever were to need me and wanting to be able to support them. That's a big thing, but it is that really big compulsion to like check things, not really wanting to spend, Like even though I could buy address for sixty dollars if I wanted to, I'm like my better or not? Or even though this face cream is in sale, do I really need it? Probably not a better just save that money that sort of stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And like that sounds positive at the same time, as I know it can be absolutely crippling because you're like, well, I still want to have fun and I still want to enjoy my life. And you're probably watching people in twenty twenty five on social media doing the same thing. You're like, well, why can't I be more like that or do more things? And it's very frustrating because then you're just like, well, let's say we just bought the face cream and yoll loaded, I'm sure you've done that before. And then you go home and you're like riddled with guilt. You're like, well I didn't need that, and is this a slippery slope? Am I just going to go downhill after this? I never going to get back on track, and like it just wasn't worth it. Like I think that they're as the need to zoom out and do some bigger worker on mindset and that budgeting and cash low system, because it sounds like whatever your system is, you're not feeling as confident in it as you could be. Like, don't get me wrong, I check my budget every week. I know where things are going. Like, that's actually quite healthy. It's not a bad thing. But if you're compulsively checking because you're like I just need to make sure we are okay, what other things can we put in place that are going to make you feel supported? So the next question I have, which is not usually a money Day's episode, have you ever spoken to a financial advisor about your insurances?
Speaker 2: No? I think we should do that because the insurance is in my super Like, I'm very aware of this. I want to change super funds. I too, like you are with that very well known retel YEP, thea super fun and it hasn't been performing well. I went onto the government your super tool.
Speaker 4: Were you in my live last night by chance? Because I was talking about this on a webinar literally last night.
Speaker 2: No, but I joined the first Foundation's workshop.
Speaker 4: You did, ah, girlfriend, I always go off track. So all of them are different. Like, if you guys think you're getting a consistent experience with my finance foundation, of course wrong. You'll get the same slides. But oh yap around them.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I want to change super funds, but the insurances that are in there now, we don't want to give them up. No. Yeah, I don't want to move everything across because then I lose those insurances and with my back issue, it just kind of complicates things.
Speaker 4: We need to talk to a financial advisor. I promise. I'm just going to push you towards talking to somebody and I can set you up after with the person that's done my insurances. And the reason I want you to do that is because they're going to look inside superannuation. They're going to check if you have enough cover. They might even bump up your insurances inside super and be like okay, money dice, you not covered enough for this, and that they're going to talk to you about all four types of insurance. So obviously inside Superanuation, you probably already have life insurance and you probably have a smaller income protection policy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one was I think two thousand le than two hundred a month. I actually looked at on the weekend. I was like, oh, that is.
Speaker 4: That's probably not enough. And that's okay, because we could increase the amount of cover you have inside superannuation on your income protection or we could take out a separate policy. You obviously have a pre existing condition of your back which they would take into consideration when doing your things. That doesn't mean you won't get cover. It just means they might exclude those disks in your back. And then they would talk to you about TPD, which is total and Permanent disability insurance, which you may or may not also hold in super And then they would talk to you about trauma. And I'm telling you right now, if you are feeling like you're worried about your parents, you're worried what happens if something happens to me, This is going to alleviate that. Like, if something happens to me, my income is going to get paid. If something really really bad happens to me, my de facto partner is not going to be high and dry. They will be left with more than enough cash to pay off the mortgage, to live a comfortable life, to do all of those things. Same with TPDA, you get totally impermanently disabled, there is going to be a lump sum payment waiting so that we can set the house up, we can make sure you get the care that you deserve so that that burden isn't on your family. And for me particularly, that takes a lot of stress off me knowing, look, if something ever happens, like the weight of the world won't still be on my shoulders. And I think that that has alleviated a lot. I use a company called sky Wealth. I probably should give them, like a little shout out. It's not paid obviously that I use sky Wealth. I'm good friends with Phil Thompson, and a lot of my clients when I stopped being a financial adviser went to him because I sent them that way, or you know, gave them to feel And the reason was because he did mine and I trusted him so much, and I just feel so much more secure. You know, you probably have car insurance, and if you crush your car tomorrow, what's going to replace that the insurance? Yes, but your income you crush your body tomorrow you're not allowed to work. Well, can't replace that, can't just earn a new body. So I think that for me not having insurance obviously not great. You've probably heard me talk about it if you listen to the podcast. But on top of that, it's just that mental load. You're like, there's some stuff in the background that is going to work, and then if anything happened, then you have the financial advisor there. And also, I mean, I'm ranting about this, but I'm just wildly passionate about it. It's not thousands of dollars like his fees are a couple of hundred bucks, because all he's going to do is look at your insurances. He's not going to give you advice in any other area because if he was to, it would become thousands. But this is like once off one and done, I'll introduce you, he'll look after you. I just feel like that's the right thing. All right, we're going to get back on track. We're going to or a really quick break on the flip side. I'm going to ask you a little bit more about the investments because you said you want to top up your shares, going to talk about debt? How you feel about that? I'm pretty sure you're also going to have some good and some not so good money habits that I want to share as well. So guys don't go anywhere. All right, money Diarist, We are back, and this chat has been I don't know, I'm really enjoying this. I feel like our community is going to get so much out of it because one you're sharing a lot, but two we're talking about lots of different things that we don't often talk about or money hieries. You mentioned before one of your goals was bumping up your shares. Does that mean you already have shares? Talk to me about your investments.
Speaker 2: So I invest five hundred and fifty dollars a month, I'm a goodness, do you know it's like a really random amount. I did my first investment September twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: What so, she's new, she's new here.
Speaker 2: I'm a movie. I kept hearing you say because I've been listening to your podcasts and I never skip an episode. I'm up to August twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, there's seven hundred plus episode.
Speaker 2: Yes, so it's gonna take me a little while along of it. That's okay. You say you can have a time the market just jump in and I was like, okay, we're going to do it. And then the next time I was like, okay, this is okay, and I kind of think about it, like I could easily spend five hundred dollars on takeaway on the day, so I'm feeling like extra blue sigoucy with my money. So that's what I do.
Speaker 4: But you're comfortable with that you picked, don't amount you're comfortable with as opposed to putting our life savings or something in and that would make me run for the hills.
Speaker 2: That's right. I have three thousand, seven hundred in combank who are you? And three point forty in Pocketbook. I started with Pocketbook first because I was a little bit nervous.
Speaker 4: No, I love this. So talk to me about how you picked your platform. Like when you were like, oh, I'm going to invest, you said that you're with comseck. Why comseeck and what are you buying on comseck?
Speaker 2: Okay, So I chose comsek because that's who I was banking with before I moved to up Bank that also on your recommendation.
Speaker 4: So it's like a colt over here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got a couple of bank shares. So I've got Bendigo Bank, Bank of Queensland. I have Sigma Health I heard recently, so I was like, done, Dune done. I've got Transurban, which is they'd do all the tolls and stuff.
Speaker 4: It sounds like you've gone with a portfolio of direct shares that you're most comfortable with, which I kind of love. Like obviously, lots of people would say that an ETF is easier, but given your history and how you've been feeling about it, I think you know, for example, Transurban, you've probably justified this in your head and been Actually people use toll roads every single day and they're relatively expensive, so that feels like a not so bad investment. And banks. You probably really like Bendigo Bank and you probably know that they have an affiligation with up Bank, and you're like, that looks like it's going somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I feel like I can see how your brain works.
Speaker 2: That is exactly why they were my first comsect purchase. Yes, I was like, okay, we're going to do our first comsect one, and it has to be bend to going.
Speaker 4: I adore that you use the comsect platform to buy a different bank, So like the irony of that is not lost any No, that's gorgeous and I kind of love that you've gone nope and comfortable with this. So what's the strategy look like moving forward?
Speaker 2: Okay? So I have like a watch list and it's generally only companies that I know about all that kind of like align with and I do like an EENI Meeni Mini mole on the month.
Speaker 4: Cool love you know what, We've all got a strategy and five good time in the market. My friend, I would be a very rich woman, but I cannot.
Speaker 2: I try not to worry too much about which one's the lowest on my watch list. I just kind of like, all right, we've done bank and I just kind of cycling through. So I'm just trying to work it up. My most recent purchase was a Vanguard ETF.
Speaker 4: Oh she's into ETFs as well, just the line.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's cool, but I was pretty proud of that one.
Speaker 4: I can't wait to check in with you in like twelve months and be like, where's that out? What's going on? Like five fifty a month. That's big dog energy, Like, I'm so excited for you. It's just going in the right direction. Talk to me about debt. Are you in any debt? What does that look like? And how do you feel about debt?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So I don't have a hex. I didn't do any tertiary education. I don't have any personal loans, never had Zippair after pay. I did, for the smallest time, have a credit card with a three thousand dollar limit on it. I last us that in December twenty twenty three. So I signed up for upbank in jan twenty twenty three, and by December I had stopped using it, and by May twenty twenty five I had closed it off. I was like, don't need it. I had set myself up to scrawl away little amounts, so if something big came up, I was mainly using it for like say, our yearly insurance on the house, or my car. I found wanted to go visit my sister in Brisbane, those sorts of things. So in terms of debts, the only thing we have is now home loan. I mentioned. We purchased that for three hundred and twenty thousand back in two thousand and eleven and we've got about seventy thousand owing on that.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, less than six figures. How does that feel?
Speaker 2: Really exciting? The bulk of it is sitting in our offset.
Speaker 4: Oh she's got nice financial freedom. That's very sexy.
Speaker 2: No, that's my part. I call him my husband, my de facto or whatever.
Speaker 4: The person that you cohabitate with. Yes, iconic, So that's exciting. What's your property worth now? Obviously having purchased it in twenty eleven for about three hundred and twenty grand, I would assume it's increased a little bit, so you might be sitting on a little bit of equity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably around threefold.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, we're actually I don't mind giving this away. You are in Sydney where the new airport is being built. Yeah okay, so, and the property prices are just insane anyway, but it has gone up quite significantly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's probably setting it around nine hundred two a million.
Speaker 2: Around the nine hundred male.
Speaker 4: Yeah okay, And that is really cool, and that is just how property works over that period of time, Like that is not surprising. I genuinely was like, I hope that she answers it this way because otherwise it's going to be relatively awkward, because that's what I'm in taste of hating. But what's the plan from here in terms of creating financial freedom? Like you in your family home that you're like, all right, well, this is you know where we want to live forever. We're planning a move like, talk to me about that.
Speaker 2: So I am emotionally very tied to this house.
Speaker 4: The one that you told your partner in twenty eleven was gross.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's the one.
Speaker 4: Yep. Great.
Speaker 2: We've just done a couple of improvements. We've painted some wolves, We've replaced our kitchen, that sort of stuff. I'm quite happy being here. It's just a tour of us and our dog, and it's enough for us. But he would like something nice I quote unquote nine a little bit further away, which is fine. I am of a different opinion. I was like, what do we need a big house for if it's just the two of us activities. There's so much room for activities you could get bug beds. Yeah. If it was up to him, and I'm not totally opposed to this, we would probably move out a little bit further west, kind only where my parents are. There's a lot happening out that way. Potentially lease this house out.
Speaker 4: Have you ever sat down with the mortgage broker to work out what that would look like so that you feel a little bit more secure, like making decisions? No, I feel like I've got so many things that I could help you in this time. I'm like, Okay, can I just set you down with a mortgage broker? It doesn't like seeing a mortgage broker does not mean you have to purchase a property or make a decision, but like, let me sit you down with somebody who can go, all right, with this amount of equity, you could purchase this house. This is what repayments would look like on a property like this, and this is what situation you've been and here's what rental yield you'd get probably from the previous property. So that we could make a little plan and sit you down and be like, okay, well that's what property would look like and you go, actually, I'm not comfortable with that, and then you don't do it, or you go, oh, I can see the opportunity there, and now instead of having analysis paralysis, and I understand that you're currently like going through scarcity mindset. The way that we get over that is education. The way that we get over that is giving yourself as much information and as much power as possible so that making decisions feels like a no brainer instead of are like, oh, let me keep all of my dollars over here in my offset because like right now I'm feeling super secure. It's actually I'll sit down with a few people, let's get a few opinions, remembering that you're the one in the driver's seat. You don't want to do it. We don't do it. Like nobody's going to force you into signing a property contract and asking for a section thirty two promise, Like, but I think that would be especially in your relationship where one person maybe wants something Like what happens if you sit down with a broker they map it all out and say, for this house that you guys, are you know considering, or even just this price point. Your partner goes, ah, money dice, You're right, I don't want to do this, Like I'm actually really happy, Like you can be on the same page, so let me set you up with that. But that's so exciting. I genuinely I just feel like you've got so much to a cheat. What else? What are the big plans have you got? You told me about travel, what's that going to look like in the next few years.
Speaker 2: I actually have a countdown on for my fortieth birthday. I figure, let's time it for that a good six months off. I don't know what I would do with my dog. I think that would be really great because I we've not traveled at all, and I just think that would be really amazing, especially because we don't plan to have kids. I'd prefer to do it like now while we can and able to while way back's okay, yep, absolutely, But I think the scarcity mindset does stop me from wanting to kind of like really struggle to part with the money, even though I have some savings and stuff. The idea of like even dropping a couple of thousand dollars on a holiday, I'm like, oh, I don't know about that, even though I really want to do it. I was like, I wonder if I could just win a holiday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, well, let's work to works that. I mean, it's a good.
Speaker 2: Plan manifesting that Way's Jessica reach you where we need her?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, right, I actually just finished recording an episode about how I think manifestation is bullshit, So that's probably not going to sit well. But you've got ages. What did you say you were up to, like twenty twenty three or something on my podcast? It'll be a while to get to that, because I genuinely think it's actually about the hard work that you're doing, not manifesting it, because if you're looking for it, are you not working for it? So? Have you created a holiday plan like or are we just not sure about spending thousands of dollars on something?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: Have we gone and looked at hotels and what we do and like, made an aspirational trip.
Speaker 2: I've not looked at anything yet. Just this seed planted in my head that didn't like my fortieth birthday, How cool would it be if we went and traveled for six months?
Speaker 4: Would be so cool?
Speaker 2: It would be so cool. But my partner also doesn't like to fly, So I figured my one chance is get him over there once, do it all, and come back, because if we do a little trip, there's a hard chance that I'm getting him back on a flight again.
Speaker 4: Just get him on the international flight. I like it so so I wantn't know. I feel like over time you've probably collected a few good money habits. What do you think your best is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so I have a couple so shot Back didn't know about it until the podcast, Adore.
Speaker 4: I like that I've I've actually had an impact here, like this is stroking my ego, like you wouldn't believe. Thank you for that.
Speaker 2: So I I'm up to five hundred and sixty one dollars in she like shot Back money since May twenty twenty four isn't a while?
Speaker 4: And this free?
Speaker 2: Yes, And I don't buy anything that I'm not supposed to in quotation, but it's mainly like dog food, love doing the pizza hut.
Speaker 4: Shot Back your genius.
Speaker 2: I always buy my fuel voucher for seven to eleven every month, so it's just been accumulating and I'm like so surprised. Five hundred and sixty one dollars since May not bad.
Speaker 4: That's actually a good deal. And it's free money. And if you just didn't have the app, you just wouldn't have made it full stop.
Speaker 2: In his story, I tell everyone about it as well.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, so do I like? I actually feel like people are like oh yeah, but she's sponsored by them. I'm like, I'm not right now, I still tell you it's incredible, Like I will jump up. Why do you think I was sponsored by them? Because I couldn't stop be apping about how good they were.
Speaker 2: And then I think. My other good money habit is how I manage my up and how I like tweak my budget. So I have six everyday savers. It's like groceries and eating out, transport and fuel, and I have like my subscriptions internet and phone. I have my Lexi fund, which is my dog health and medicine, that sort of stuff. So I have six of those, and then fourteen extra savers.
Speaker 4: Fourteen what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Okay, it sounds a little bit crazy, but it's really not.
Speaker 4: No, it's not crazy if it works.
Speaker 2: I actually started doing so every pay I put in a little bit like a third of what my anticipated like utilities are going to be, so instead of in that month's pay having a huge chunk come out, I've been building on it for the last three months. I have an emergency fund ticking away. I have the weekly saver. I don't remember where I saw this, but it's like week one a dollar Week two two dollars and then by the end of the year, you've got one thousand and three hundre from seventy eight. I have family and gifts that I put one hundred dollars into that every pay Christmas one hundred dollars of that every pay I get paid monthly, and then obviously home and car insurance and then like a discretion it.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I'm loving this. I was going to ask, like, how did you do your budget? So is this then on a spreadsheet? And then you've implemented this on up bank or how have we done this?
Speaker 2: Yes? Okay, So I have my beautiful spreadsheet, I have it mapped out for the entire year, and I have like all of my fixed expenses, and I tweak it. The things that will change it is like if I'm going to have my hair done, but now that I've got my discretionary fund, it comes out of that. It's the weekly savor that changes it mildly. So the week one blah blah blah. And then I go into up bank and they have a feature pay splitting, and I go and I tweak that every month just before I get paid, just tweak it if I need to like, if I know I'm going to be going out extra times to eat, I'll put a little bit more in or that sort of stuff that feature I love so much.
Speaker 4: That is so cool. I adore that for you and that it's working and that you know you're like, hey, queen, I've got six everyday accounts and then I have fourteen extra savers. I'm like, sorry, sit down and you. Jesse got to eat cheek because she does something really similar al like she's planning for everything and then I've got my little cash hub system and it works really well for me. But it's so cool to learn what other people are doing, because I think a lot of us ask like, oh, like, what's the best way to budget, and it's like, there isn't one. There's just one that really works for you and resonates with you and makes you feel in control. I'm obsessed. I'm going to give you actually access to my money masterclass so that you can have my budget and cash flow system because I want to see how you go with that and whether that helps relieve a little bit of anxiety. There's also a whole heap of mindset videos that I think will be really helpful, but flipping over. Tell me what's your worst money habit. Surely you don't have one I do.
Speaker 2: It's food.
Speaker 4: Ah yeah, okay, what kind of food though.
Speaker 2: There's kind of like no limit. I'm not even boushi. I don't go out for fancy dinners. I am a take me to McDonald's. The happiest person on this earth. Yeah, like we love a nugget. We do, we do normally. I'll call my husband when I'm leaving the city to lend no I'm coming home and to kind of gauge what we're going to have for dinner. And it kind of doesn't even take it word coming out of my mouth for him to know that I'm angling for takeaway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, niconic, that's me. That's me.
Speaker 2: So that's pretty bad my food spending.
Speaker 4: But does that make you happy?
Speaker 2: It doesn't make me really happy.
Speaker 4: Okay, So, Le, should we really be changing something when you just told me hod unless just do a really quick breakup? Six everyday accounts, fourteen savers. You've started investing relatively aggressively, like you are not only investing, you're doing direct shares, and you've just dipped your toes in like an ETF like Queen, I think that we can do the food based on your budget.
Speaker 2: I just would like to shop a little bit more mindfully, like my twin sisters with Pole or opposite. She me your plans every single Sunday and she snapchats her plan for the week, and she really has takeout. Where of the convenience life here at our house.
Speaker 4: Is your sister by chance to have children?
Speaker 2: Yes she does.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go, there you go. We're living completely different lives.
Speaker 2: Yes, but she's like, doesn't really have takeout, makes everything at home, and we're like the convenience life chows us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, No, I am with you, like we cook a lot at home because I organize Marley Spoon. And I'm so grateful for that because otherwise I wouldn't be trusted when my husband makes jokes at home, because obviously if anyone follows me, they know that even with Marley Spoon, I'm not the one cooking. It's usually my husband. And if I am, that's novel, and it doesn't mean I can't cook. It's just in our house that's a blue job. My husband does the cooking full stop. End of story. But if it's my night to cook, my husband will be like, oh, you should cook, and we both know that doesn't mean cook. We both know that means using the Uber eatsapp to audit dinner. Like we both know that he's like, Oh, it's your turn to cook. What are we having? Like Indian, I'll be like, thank you for getting me. I regret nothing.
Speaker 2: The other bad money habit is I have like this generosity streak.
Speaker 4: Oh no, you're too kind.
Speaker 2: I'm too kind, But I think more like wanting to be like like feeling like I don't know. It's like something in me that feels like if I buy you something or I don't know. It's a really hard one to explain. Yes, I'm really working on that one.
Speaker 4: No, I get it. I so get it. And do you know what. I've come to the conclusion that I need to reflect on why I'm doing it, but it doesn't mean it's a bad thing to do it, Like I need to just make sure that I'm doing it for the right reasons, like not because i want someone to like me, but more because I want Like I'm a gift giver inherently, like I just love giving people a gift that they adore. Like if I found out that you loved something and I was able to find it for you. Oh my goodness, Like that's my favorite. Like I don't want to just buy you something for the fun of it, but like if I see something and I think it's you, I'm going to get it and that gives me probably more joy than it gives you. But we just need to keep ourselves in check there because obviously if it's people pleasing streak, that involves a lot more conversation with ourselves.
Speaker 2: That's what it is. That's the exact word, that's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Look, I am so impressed with you, Like I am obsessed with the story we had, how vulnerable you were, Like learning so much about you, you're investing your house, like the fact that you're so clear on what life looks like. You said you're a SI. Though, talk to me about this person independently of you. You know, she grew up in a situation where her parents were so worried about you know, money, parents are working second cleaning jobs till midnight, and she now earns one hundred and twenty grand a year and she's killing life. Like is she a sea?
Speaker 2: Maybe more of a bee. There are some things that.
Speaker 4: I we can always want to be better, but I get that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like a big one on my list is working out my super, like I know that it's not really performing at the moment. That's like one of my goals for the you to move my super across. There's just like little things that I want to achieve before I can think that I'm anything more than it'd be.
Speaker 4: All right, well, I'll leave you there. I'm not going to bully you into a higher level, but get your insurances sorted because then you can change your super without worry. And right now that seems like a block because obviously you don't want to lose the insurance inside that super. And then you're like, well what do I do? Do I transfer all of it or some of it? Like what am I rolling over? And you can literally talk to the fight. They won't be able to give you super advice, but they'll be able to talk you through like your decision making process, and that's really helpful. And I think getting that in place is a really good idea. And then I think you should be talking to a broker just to get an idea of what property could look like, so you and your partner could just be on the same page about creating a plan or not creating a plan. Yeah, I've adored this. This is so good. Thank you for your vulnerability. Thank you for sharing your story. I just know that the community is going to love this as much as I have.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, Money Doris, thank you so much. It has been a pleasure. The ad buy shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a fininancial product.
Speaker 5: Read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 4: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 5: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money sherper P T y lt D A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFS L four five one two eight nine