Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud Yr the Order Kerney Whalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through. As this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impactful tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Today, my friends, is Friday, which means it is time to get our little team together and celebrate you how incredible she is on the Money community today, Jess, go to your cheer over there. Hi, my friend. She is going to be sharing our favorite money wins. We're going to be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about discussing your salary expectations in a job interview. And we're going to be unpacking something you slid into our DMS about which this week is all about employer remuneration and asking for a raise. So let's get into it. My friends, Beck, how has your week been?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 2: Pretty good?
Speaker 5: Slow, really slow, housing out produces out of the moment.
Speaker 2: So oh wait, does that mean you've got a cat? I've got a cat.
Speaker 5: We've got a cat, and honestly, I've never taken care of a cat before.
Speaker 2: My world has changed.
Speaker 5: Like I'm out of the pub, but I have to go home at five o'clock to feed something and maature, it's still alive and I don't actually know what this world is we converted?
Speaker 2: Now you a cat person? I think I'm pretty cold.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I'm pretty close to me.
Speaker 2: I don't want this lie? Do you do?
Speaker 4: Our producer, for those of you following along at home, has a beautiful Burmese called Jean Parmesan is a brown Burmese, so he's like a chalky color and he is the most friendly boy.
Speaker 2: So tell us, Beck, where is he sleeping?
Speaker 5: I don't know because he leaves the room and only told me that he would be sleeping with me right against me, But he is avoiding me at all.
Speaker 2: Costs. That's making you feel bad. I'm like, what, he's trying to stop himself from falling in love with you. I think that's what it is.
Speaker 5: I think that's why I'm also still single. Everyone's just scared they'll fall deeply in love with you rifying. It's terrifying.
Speaker 4: I'm really scared of as well. I get it, you're only happens to dress all the time. Jess, how's your week ban? Have you accidentally fallen in love?
Speaker 2: I haven't, But you know what, I don't know if mekeur is in retrograde mercury has to be. I'm feeling frazzled for no good reason either, Like it's not as if anything's gone drastically wrong, but I think I just started off my Monday feeling like I didn't know I had from my toes, and then yeah, it's just continued through the week a little bit with these crazy things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's scared that something is about to constantly about to go wrong.
Speaker 2: So that makes sense, Like you're on my edge.
Speaker 5: You're so frizzled that nothing's gone wrong yet, but any second now something will.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think so. And it was really funny. I was having a moment. The other day, I had no pepsi Max left in the house, not no, I was dealing with a crisis and all I had was solo, and it was It's things like that that are just so first world and inconsequential and absolutely ridiculously stupid. And I'm embarrassed that I'm even admitting them out loud. But it's just the compounding impact of like lots of teeny tiny little things going wrong, but I'm making me go, oh my god, like I just can't this week.
Speaker 4: I feel like that happens all the time to me, because if something actually goes into crisis, I seem to switch into crisis mode and I'm really good with dealing with it. Like I'll be like, okay, cool, well, Beck, you need to do this, and Jess, could you please Xyza doesn't matter work or life. I lose my shoe, I'm done. Yeah, I'm done. We are having a meltdown. I am not going to deal with that.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: I will cry, I'll be hysteric, i will literally be a little nightmare. But then you'll be like, oh v this actual, really big crisis happened, and I'll be like, oh, no, worries I'll pull my stuff together because I have every single ability to lead you in a crisis personal crisis. Though, when I lost a shoe different straight well, like we ran out of tea bags the other day and I cried, like what is.
Speaker 2: Wrong with me? That's fair, just a moment, mercury. She's doing her things.
Speaker 5: She's doing a thing.
Speaker 2: Something in the microwave. I don't know. I don't know. Gatorad. Yeah, in the gatorade in the microwave, like I don't know.
Speaker 4: Like someone's done it and they cooked it on high.
Speaker 2: Like I'm not interested.
Speaker 4: So, Jess, let's talk about something that is interesting, which is our community money wins. Every single week we go through these, and they one of my favorite things. Just sit on my phone and perve on what have you pulled out as your favorites of.
Speaker 2: So this week I have a money win from Laura, who says I received a scholarship to do some post grad study. I originally thought it would cover the cost of ten K, but they emailed me to say I'd only get seven point five. I wrote a polite email asking why I wasn't getting the full amount reimbursed, and they've since emailed back saying they made an error and I'll actually get fifteen, not only covering the cost of the course, but the time for me to study as well. Money win and also pays to ask, doesn't it? Just ask the question? Just ask us. One thing they could say is no, one thousand percent. My next money win comes from Joe, who said, money win, my fiance proposed with his grandmother's ring. No, that's so wholesome, right, money loss. It will need to be resized, but that beats the cost of a new engagement ring from a jeweler. Absolutely, yee. Still money win. Still may that's sick. And there's a bunch of comments saying congratulations do you We're so excited for you. My next money win comes from Ilona, who said, got our lease renewed last week with an increase in our rent, of course, by one hundred dollars a week. I emailed the real estate agent to negotiate it down to an eighty dollars increase, and the owner agreed to it. Small money win from now, money loss from August when the inn prease rent kicks in, but put on you for negotiating it.
Speaker 4: I feel like they're going up, really really steeply at the moment, and it's always worth a crack.
Speaker 2: There's a post on our Instagram at She's in the money AUS. We put in a little scripty script with some suggestions of things you could say to your landlord or your property manager if they do email you with a rent increase. So if you're in the same boat as a learner, it might be worth going back and getting a little help from there. My next money comes from Catherine, who said one of my colleagues suggested I request higher duty's allowance to be paid as my supervisor has left and I'm assuming a lot of his workload. Raise. The paperwork on Friday and it was signed today. And the best part is it was backdated to the seventh of April when my old supervisor left.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, how is that also good on your business for backdating?
Speaker 2: And I feel like that never happens. They're like, string it out.
Speaker 4: And string it out, and then they're like, oh, we'll start on the first of July, so you're doing that job until the first of July for three Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also, I'd never thought about allowance if you're taking over a role temporarily while someone's gone you know that should be standard. Yeah, we've spoken before about how like if someone leaves and you take on their job, you shask for a raise. But if you're doing it temporarily and maybe your management say, oh no, we can't do that. You're only looking after it for six weeks, maybe an allowance is the way to go very much business. I think so as well. My next money win comes from Becky, who said money win. I've been making myself a nice breakfast on the weekends instead of going out for breakfast or grabbing something on the go. It's amazing to see how easy it is to pop some bacon, an egg and an avocado on a bagel and such a good feeling not spending thirty dollars. And to be honest, she put in a photo it looks like brunch that was gone now it does, doesn't it? Well done, Becky. And then my last one this week from Amanda said, SotM will appreciate this. I got a free container of minor figures oat milk in my Fortnightly Farmers Pick fresh fruit and vegebox. Oh that's the money wee.
Speaker 4: I feel like oat milk is increasing at the same rate as inflation.
Speaker 2: Leader.
Speaker 4: That's at least what it costs I paid a million dollars a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: That's absolutely cooked.
Speaker 4: All right, let's go to a quick break before we start making up even more.
Speaker 2: Don't go anywhere. Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma. Hi.
Speaker 4: There, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The Sheese on the Money team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 3: Hi, Victoria, I've been applying for jobs in an industry that is new to me. Some of the online applications ask for an expected salary, and I never know how to answer that question or what consequences the answer will have. I have arranged in mind that I think would be fair and I'll be willing to accept, But I don't know if I'm lowbuling myself, and what if that bites me in the bum later or if I'm putting in arrange its way over what the job is worth and my application might not be considered.
Speaker 2: Because of this.
Speaker 3: Any help on this would be amazing, Thank you.
Speaker 4: This one is spicy because I get where she's coming from. Like when she said and what consequences answering that carries. I was like, yeah, that's exactly how I feel about it. What would you guys do?
Speaker 2: That's a really good question.
Speaker 5: I shouldn't do this, but I always lowball because I am scared, and if, like I put what I really actually want, then they will whoever's recruiting will just skip right past me because they can get someone a little bit cheaper, probably the same qualifications, the same skills, what do you call it, experience experience, the same experience.
Speaker 4: Skills, whatever you want to call it, what you're actually bringing to the table, because like, you are a really good cook, so that could be put up for collateral.
Speaker 2: You think I'm a really good cook. I mean you can cook toast.
Speaker 5: Right, I'm really pretty good a toast. I've actually been complimented on my toast. Yea, all the way to this to the exactly.
Speaker 2: To the grass. What do you go to have the worst part with no butter. Yeah, exactly the worst part. Sorry, what crust is the best beer? Oh? I did not know this vote? Look at you anymore? Is she joking?
Speaker 4: Is she just trying to make this contents objectively?
Speaker 2: With any food? Crispy bit is the best bit? Is the crispy bit of the bread? No, no, no.
Speaker 5: I do like the ugly slice of the bread though, that's what fily crust?
Speaker 1: Do you mean?
Speaker 2: See that's my caveat. I don't like the butt piece. I see you call it a butt.
Speaker 5: I actually want to know what everyone calls the ugly slice. Maybe we can, we want.
Speaker 2: I want to know. He just calls it the butt piece. But I swear that's really normal. Sorry. The end of the bread, Oh, the end of the bread, that's okay, But in the middle yours, if you're sitting in your butt's the end? But is only the end?
Speaker 4: Anyway? Somebody is broken A very serious you need to answer.
Speaker 2: I'm also called.
Speaker 4: I have been like, hey, Steve, I'm making toast, but all I've got left is this rerange.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, your buddy is called a end. I'm still just that is the end of the human right with you?
Speaker 4: You are sorry, we need a baker, we need a baker curious in retrograde or gatorades in the microwave.
Speaker 2: But I'm done, sorry, sorry, back contrack, I'm done, beck back on track. So you just you would lowball it?
Speaker 5: I yes, basically I lobell it. I don't think it's the right answer, though, but I lowball it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay, Jess used to work in recruitment, so I feel like you're going to camper very intellectual answer, and so we'll probably wrap it up here.
Speaker 2: What's yours? Low Balling is definitely not the right answer. Good, but at least in you. So realistically, any recruiter is going to try and negotiate you down. So always shoot up, even if what you say is within the range. I mean, I say recruiter, and I know that people who work in recruitment will DM me if I don't put the caveat on it. No, it won't be recruiter, it won't be them doing it. The company will always come back and try and negotiate down that it's their job to do it. Yeah, even if you say I want to earn seventy thousand and their range was sixty to eighty They're still going to try and negotiate. It's just how that works as a company. So I say, always, always, always overshoot, because then you have room to negotiate down to somewhere where you're happy. I wouldn't be too stressed about setting your expectation too high. I think if you tacked one hundred grand on, people would probably be like, okay, like you're clearly But I think that is more of a reflection that you don't have an understanding of that role. Because if you know your job, if you know what you're doing, and you have kept an eye on the market, you should theoretically have a decent understanding of the value of that role. And if you don't, you can do some research. We've spoken about that on the pod before. So it's more of a red flag in the sense that you would probably go, oh, they don't really seem like they know what they're talking about. If your salary expectation is, you know, twenty thirty thousand, higher chances are you'll still go through the interview process, and if they really like you, they'll just try and negotiate you down because they always want the most skilled person possible. Kind of the least amount of money possible and then you're meeting in the middle somewhere. And that's not always the cruiter, like I said, it is often the employer doing that, and not every employer is like that, but most commonly that's kind of the thread that I saw happening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I guess I'm coming to this from the perspective of somebody who has applied for jobs, and so I really resonate with you, Beck because I feel like I used to lowball it because you'd be like, well, they're just going to write off my salary or not even look at my CV if I put it too high. Not the case, because on the flip side, I also am an employer and we do all of our own recruitment internally outsource that I actually do it myself because I think that's helping me build my team, if that makes sense, Like I want to have control over that process. But we don't ask in the application phase. We actually ask in their first phone call, so we always do. I guess this is just that she's on the money process. You apply for the job, there would be like a telephone call to like have a chat and prevet and you know, go through a few like what would you say, like hygiene questions like when, where, how, why, how far can you jump? Kind of thing, and then if you're successful at that will actually go into the recruitment process of like sitting down and having proper interviews. But it seems to make sure that we can, you know, not waste people's time because like if you beck said, well I want to get paid X, and I'd be like, well, actually the job is valued at why I can say is that a deal breaker for you? Really upfront? And if it is, then cool, we go on our merry way. You don't get to the end of the recruitment process and then you know, ditch us because you know the salary wasn't what you expected. So if I am asking, it's literally to make sure that your expectations are on par SORAC. I was recruiting for an admin role and that role was sitting between X and Y, and a few people were like wildly above that. It didn't mean I didn't call them and have that chat. We still had that chat, but it was like, hey, the roles actually valued between X and Y, Like you've said this, what's.
Speaker 2: The reason for that?
Speaker 4: And they've said oh, you know, a plethora of different reasons, and either some people said, oh I thought that the role was you know at that level, at which point I can say, hey, Beck, like, it's actually not like the roles and responsibilities look like a B and C, and that's why we pay between X and Y, and unfortunately, like that salary is not feasible or if it's lower, Honestly, I just go into peptok mode and I'm like, what the hell, Like, this role's worth way more than that, Like is it because you think you don't have the skills or the experience? Like your resume is the reason I'm calling you. So I think it goes one of two ways. But if I was answering that question and it was just strictly a number, I would do a little bit of research first and put a range. I'd ever say I want fifty thousand dollars. I'd be like, okay, I want fifty seventy thousand dollars and give a range. And in a position where I have been asked the question directly, I would say, look, I'm looking for a pretty competitive salary that respects my qualifications and my education and my experience, and based on the research that I have done into this space. As I understand it, this role would be valued between X and Y, so I would expect the salary to be reflective of that. And I think you can just take the emotion out of it. I think when we're having these emotional conversations that are related to money, we can easily just slip into talking to a new employer or talking in an interview about like, well, they'd really need seventy thousand dollars because like, you know, I'm on seventy thousand dollars right now, and I like I want to keep my lifestyle. They don't care, Like at the end of the day, they just don't care. What you need to do is prove yourself as an individual. I'm paying you for your skills and experience, and I'm not paying you because you want to earn that amount of money. I'm paying you because that's what the role is worth. So I think if you can distill it back down to all the role is worth between A and B, and that's how it's going to work. I could say, well, I actually have a bit more experience, so I'm closer to be than I am to a. Thank you, So much for you know, having that conversation, or you might go, all right, well, if this salary is you know, at why I actually want more than that?
Speaker 2: At some point? What does salary progression look like in this business?
Speaker 4: Is it an income based salary progression? Or is it do I have to change roles completely? What would that look like? What does it look like for past employees? So I think there's a lot of conversation to be had. I think on this though, before I stop ranting about it. The one thing that I wouldn't want to disclose is what I was currently being paid. So if I applied for a job and you know, they're asking me what is my salary expectation, I would not be saying, oh, I want sixty because I'm currently earning sixty and like I just want this job more than the other one. Yeah, no, I want sixty if that's what the role is worth, or I want more. Like the salary you currently earn is not a reflection of your billy to do a job. Yeah, Like, if you're currently on fifty thousand dollars and you're applying for a job that's one hundred thousand dollars, but you possess all the skills and the experience that is necessary for that job. It's none of their business that you came from fifty because that's what the role is worth, and that's what the role is worth to the business, and that's how much you should be remunerated for it. Like there is no you know, stepping stones necessary or oh well, I'm not on that much now, like maybe you could save some money.
Speaker 2: No. Yeah, I'm also a big believer in the fact that whenever you change roles, you should be stepping up your salary really if like and obviously caveats again where possible, depending on how blah blah blah blah. But every time I applied for a new job, especially when I was younger, I was always adding ten k onto my salary. Like if I'm earning fifty, I want sixty. If I'm earning sixty, I want seventy. And that's how I stepped up and stepped up and stepped up, because that's there's that statistic that says people it's just on six million dollars back now I'm the richest woman in the world. No, there's that statistic that says people who change jobs earn more than people who do not, because you have that opportunity in that interview process to set yourself up immediately, and so I feel like, take advantage of that and don't let them make you feel lack Just because they're negotiating doesn't mean you can't negotiate as well. During the recruitment process, I recommend that you employ out what would a mediocre middle aged white man do, and then do that strategy if they would have the audacity to ask for one hundred grand, Babe, that's what you're doing. Yep.
Speaker 4: So that's that's how I would do it, And I guess that's how I've gotten where I've gotten.
Speaker 2: If that's not good enough advice, I don't know what is. It's a middle aged white man the advice. Yeah, exactly, audacious, read the paper.
Speaker 4: I don't know what else did they do. There's are probably a whole heap of stereotypes.
Speaker 5: They sneeze really loudly.
Speaker 2: Sneeze, and they sit.
Speaker 4: On chairs weird so that you can't sit on the chair next to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to do all these on the plane. Oh, they take both arm rests checks. Anyway, back on track, Yeah, let's get back on track. We have a bit of a theme this week because our community call out was all so about salary, wasn't it, Victoria.
Speaker 4: Yea, let's talk about that because I'm really excited about this topic. So this week's community dilemma, let's read it out. We got a message and it went like this, Hey, girls, would you be able to give me your opinion on this one. So recently my employer did their annual remuneration and review and gave most of the stuff an increase. However, the increase is not nearly anywhere close to inflation. They are not open to negotiating and think everyone should be grateful for the pay rise they got. I should add the company is not struggling. Last financial year, we did one hundred and seventy percent of our sales targets talking in the low millions. Interested to see what the community thinks and how you guys would handle this situation.
Speaker 2: Leave him sys SI. There so many red flags in that message. I think it's hard without I guess knowing the context of you know, the size of the business and all of those things. Not that that should fully matter, but it's something that I think you would consider. But yeah, Victoria, you've said before, if your pay rise doesn't align with inflation, you're actually getting a pay cup, yep.
Speaker 4: But if your pay rise doesn't align with inflation, you are getting a pay cup, full stop, end of story. Because if you got paid ten dollars last year and now everything's more expensive, and I gave you the same ten dollars and expected you to be able to live the same life on that, it's not going to happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it's not.
Speaker 4: Your lifestyle is going down When my back pocket is being lined, Absolutely not. It gives me the ick, like I just it's not even about the ick factor, it's this is what's fair, this is how the world works, and from my perspective as a business owner, this is a cost of business. Like I employed Jess for example, I employed her for a certain amount per annum, but as a part of my mapping, as a part of my planning, as a part of you know, working out what that looks like, I know that inflation will come into it. Did I know that inflation would be at seven point one percent this year? Absolutely I didn't. But last year, you know, it was two or three percent, the year before two or three percent. So in my head because inflation happens every single year in a healthy economy, so it should be happening anyway. I've always made sure that we have the buffer to increase my employee's salaries in line with inflation.
Speaker 2: This year was more. I get it.
Speaker 4: So for some businesses, especially ones that are, you know, coming out of the pandemic into hard times. Please don't get me wrong, like, this is not going to apply to every single situation. Yes, I do think it can be a struggle for some employers, But for me, that is a cost of doing business. That is a cost of just keeping the bare minimum. Like at the end of the day, just as salary increased by seven percent, and that she's on the money. I genuinely believe in walking the walk. So it's Jess, what was your pay rise?
Speaker 2: So it wasn't just seven percent, it was the seven percent for cost of living.
Speaker 4: Yeap, And then we wiped it off the table and said that's cost of living. Now let's talk about your performance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I really appreciated that because it felt really transparent and it felt like you had really thought about it. And I think the thing in this situation that's making me mad is that she's saying they were up one hundred and seventy percent on Yeah, exactly. And so as you said, if you're if you work for a business or a small business or an industry that is really struggling right now, I think there's room for conversation. Are you go okay? You know, in the pandemic, I know a lot of people gave up there, you know, they didn't get increases, some people took pay cuts. I think that's a very different thing. If your company is performing well and they're not passing that on to employees, that makes you feel like shit. Like when we sat down, I felt really valued because you had thought about it and you said to me, you know, I want you to be able to live the life that you could live last year in the same way, and you've worked really hard, and I want to reward you for that. And I don't think that, you know, increasing your salary for cost of living that seven percent increase isn't actually rewarding anything. It's just letting you buy bread for the same amount that you bought bread for last year. You know. So I feel like for this person, if I was in her shoes, I would be feeling really undervalued and I'd be feeling really sad, and I'd be feeling like my employer cares more about their bottom line than about their people. And I don't think that that's something that goes away.
Speaker 4: No, And I think that your people are the reason you have a bottom line.
Speaker 2: To begin with.
Speaker 4: You're not respecting them, Like it blows my mind right, like this idea that are so replaceable, like I get it, and having worked in like you know, development and HR and all of that. Historically, there seems to be this really transactional nature of talking about people. They'll be like, oh, well, if she doesn't like it, she can leave and we can re recruit. It's like, well, okay, but like, let's take Jess for example, Like let's pretend Jess was a disgruntled employee and wanted to leave. She has so much knowledge about my business that is really valuable. We're talking about the relationships, we're talking about how things work. She knows how I work, so that makes my life innately easier. There's a million other things that I guess come into that. But also the cost of recruitment isn't just oh, let's pop an add up on seak and what's at like twelve hundred bucks or something tangtise. That's fine, but that's twelve hundred bucks. You might not think that's expensive. But how many months is it going to take of lost productivity for that new person to be onboarded. Let's say it's three months, three months of not performing at their peak just because they're onboarding, and that that time needs to exist. What about the other implications of the rest of my staff having to sit down with this new person and train that person, the time, the energy that they're spending on you know, you know, training new jests.
Speaker 2: But then also what.
Speaker 4: About the lost productivity of them not doing their job nine to five month at a Friday because they're training somebody else. We know that on average, the cost of recruitment is about thirty five to forty thousand dollars to a business every single time you lose or gain someone. It's not a small thing like that's research. That's you know, not even taking into consideration what a recruiter would be paid. Because if we talk about the recruitment world, I think a lot of employees don't understand how that world works. But a recruiter is making about ten to twenty five percent of your annual salary just for placing you in a role, So you and one hundred grand. That placement fee for that recruiter is between ten thousand and twenty five thousand dollars, depending on who the recruiter is, what the recruiter is, if they're specialist, if they're not, what the salary is. So the higher the salary usually the lower the person antiage rate that they get.
Speaker 2: But to me, it's wild.
Speaker 4: And that's fine. I'm not saying it's bad. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be paid. That they're doing their job, and that's obviously a very big cost to a business. Like some businesses don't have time for that. I have historically used recruiters to help me find stuff when I didn't have the presence of she's on the money right, because we're in this lucky position where if I put an ad out, lots of eyes are going to see it because our community is quite large, Whereas historically, back when I was starting my finance company, nobody knew who I was or what I did. And you know what, it's even harder convincing them to want to work for me. Oh, I'm a small business and I'm run by a female. Everyone's like, wh like, no, thank you. So I think it's really interesting to talk about the cost of recruitment and what you mean to a business, and a lot of businesses don't see that value. And you know what, that's okay because if they don't see your value, you're going to leave them for somebody who does see your value. Because I guarantee you it's not about pay, Like pay is one component of it, but in and feeling like you're a part of something and feeling like you are respected to me are all just as important as the money that you bring home. So I guess TLDR, if your pay doesn't rise with inflation, it is a pay cut. End of story, that is it. And I think that I'm actually going to write a template. We're gonna put it on our website. You're going to be able to download it for free, and you can send that to your employer to address this, because I think there is a good conversation and your employer might come back and say, look, Beck, I'm really sorry, Like unfortunately, we are a very small business and at this point, like if I do it for you, I have to do it for everybody. And that would send us bankrupt. That's a conversation they should be having with you, though you deserve to understand why they don't think that you are worthy of the same lifestyle that you had this time last year.
Speaker 5: That is so true. Also, just to cap all of that off, if anyone tells you that you should be greedful in any context, I would run.
Speaker 4: Just beIN beIN it, beIN it. Nobody should tell me what I should be grateful for.
Speaker 2: It's an energy. You should be grateful for me to turn up and work my ass off your project seventy Are you joking?
Speaker 1: I know?
Speaker 5: Is that what they said in the DM that the the employees that they should be great?
Speaker 2: Okay, I just want to double check that that's what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they should be grateful because they still got a pay rise. I don't, but it's not in line with inflation. So technically, my friends, that is still like less than what I had last year. Like, yes, the dollar amount is more, but that's inflation. And if your business doesn't understand that simple concept or respect.
Speaker 2: You, I'm out. Yeah, I'm out.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 4: It's twenty twenty three, Like we're not putting up with this anymore. We don't go to offices with white walls and black desks for the culture. I'm telling you that right now, absolutely no where.
Speaker 2: To runs this.
Speaker 4: Very curious to see what everyone else said. All right, so thank you for sitting down and hearing another Victoria round. We did ask the community a few questions. So we said, have you had an increase in your pay from an annual remuneration review. Fifty one percent of you said yes, Forty nine percent said no. If yes, does this increase match inflation?
Speaker 2: Is really so angry? Are you ready? I'm ready? Eighty four percent of you said no. No.
Speaker 4: That means only sixteen percent of you got an increase that keeps your lifestyle the same.
Speaker 2: It's not even an increase. Crazy.
Speaker 4: We then said, if no, did you talk to your employer about it? So six percent of you said yeah, and we came to a good negotiation.
Speaker 2: Only six six percent.
Speaker 4: Twenty two percent said yes, but they didn't care about my concerns, and fifty two percent said no, I was just happy I got a pay rise. No, that sucks one out of ten cannot recommend. I also feel like this is really you know, it goes back to our community to keep in mind, we're not all females. We are ninety eight percent female, and I feel like a lot of the female experience is shared here. But this goes full literally everybody. We all deserve to have confidence, we all deserve to have some level of conviction in our role. We all should be getting consistent feedback throughout the years. So when you do sit down for a performance review, you can go, well, I did ABC and D and here's my job description, and here's how I met that criteria. But here's how I went above and beyond.
Speaker 2: So I think there's a lot to.
Speaker 4: This conversation that we have broken down before, and Jess and I have been talking, and there's going to be more career content coming up soon because you guys have been demanding it, like you have been asking for it and asking for it, and it's something that can help you increase your income and you know, change your life. So we're going to create that content for you. But if you if you are a bit spicy, I get it. So someone said, I deserve a pay rise, but I know the company is struggling, so I want to know the best way to approach this.
Speaker 2: That's really hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, someone else said, I got a five percent increase, and when I spoke to my supervisor, his response was, you are lucky you even got one.
Speaker 2: What is it that you must be a great We all know.
Speaker 4: We all know that supervisor was a mediocre, middle aged white man.
Speaker 2: We know, we just know. Soh yeah, So you know, it's like one of like, I'm not turning up for the fun of it, doll like, I'm here to be paid. I would actually like to retire yesterday.
Speaker 4: In fact, if it was a choice, I'd be a trust fund baby.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I was born to be rich, you know exactly. I identify as a billionaire.
Speaker 4: So so start treating me like one is that week?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that makes me so angry.
Speaker 4: Someone else said, I can't imagine many employers can support a pay rise in line with inflation.
Speaker 2: So that's fair to say, yeah.
Speaker 4: But we've been given the additional context here where they've said last financial year, we did one hundred and seventy percent of our sales targets, and.
Speaker 2: Those targets would have been set in place to ensure that the business was profitable. So it's not as if if we hit a million dollars we break even. It would be if we hit million dollars. We have profited, we have done well for the year, So then to do an additional seventy percent on top of that means they're rolling in it right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so someone else said, I'm a midwife, so I get award. I'm glad union gets us as small in but we can't ask for more or get any more than that.
Speaker 2: Which that's tough. Is bullshit, Like, I.
Speaker 4: Think we learned so much during the pandemic about our frontline workers and how valuable they were to our community, and we're still not paying them properly.
Speaker 2: What is this? It's unacceptable any industry where it is standardized like that, teaching and things as well. It's really tough. And I a few of my friends are teachers, and it's hard having the conversation because they go, we just get X amount every year, and I feel like that amount definitely wouldn't account for inflation this year. But hopefully those industries are unionized and maybe that's would you say, that's the job of the union to then say the increase this year needs to be higher, Yes, but.
Speaker 4: That's the job of the government to allocate more budget towards our frontline and healthcare workers and every other type of frontline worker. So I think that they should be doing more. The unions exist because the government doesn't do enough. So I think, you know, the inner perfect world, unions wouldn't have to exist because everyone's being treated fairly and being paid properly and there's no like politics involved in it. But there is, so the unions are necessary. Someone else said, I was advised that base salaries will never increase with inflation because that's just how this company works.
Speaker 2: Red flag, What the hell? What do you mean that's how the company works. That's such a black and white, like tell me you don't care about your people without telling you don't care about it. Yeah, exactly, exactly. So every year you're actually worthless to me, Jessica.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if they get so every single year you stay, it actually gets worse for you. Yeah, I'm going to pay you less year on your own year. And you know what compounds inflation in the same way that investment returns to so it's just going backwards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if they can increase your hex repayments in line with inflation, because they recognize that, that is a necessary break. Even why are we not recognizing that salaries are exactly the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you want to hear one that's going to make you really angry already. So someone said, my work used scare tactics so people would vote for the EBA with the lower pay rise associated it worked.
Speaker 2: A company that I've worked for did something similarly. They did not. So it was a company that employed a lot of young women. And you know, in an industry where typically you have people who are young, don't I knew nothing about finance, and I think that was a very standardized thing. And they brought in an EBA and it was when for those who don't know, whenever you bring in that kind of agreement, an enterprise bargaining agreement, an enterprise bargaining agree, whenever you bring that in, if you're changing the policy for company as a whole, it has to be passed by a majority vote. So they can't a company can't just bring in an EBA like it has to be put to a vote by the people who were employed, and they were. Essentially there were two options on the table, one that paid more, one that paid less, the one that paid more. There was some leave that there was some change with the leave, and essentially rumors were being spread by upper management that the leave changes were going to like screen over and that's the worst. Like, you don't want that instability. And at the time I had no idea. Why would you know? But now as I trusted your manager, right as an adult, I look back and I go, oh my god, like that is actually not how that worked. Wow, that is so bad.
Speaker 5: That should be illegal.
Speaker 2: Is that illegal?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I didn't think it is, because it's it's still freedom of choice, right, Like I could have made whatever choice that I wanted. But when I had people, you know, and everyone was talking about it, Oh, what should I do? None of us knew what anything meant, don't even know what any of being it was. If someone who is a bit more authoritative than you goes, oh, like I think that blah blah bah blah, Oh my god, yeah you're so smart, or at least that's what I did. But now, in hindsight, especially hearing that person, I reckon that's what happened. Oh that is LI truly the worst.
Speaker 4: So someone else in Bright and News said, well, they wouldn't give me a race. So I resigned, got a similar role I don't know the company, and got fifty percent more money Queen.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: I feel like that's probably a really good place to leave it, because the rest of them are just really depressing, like it's actually insane, and I just I think that we need to know what we're worth and then demand that because that should actually be the bare minimum. And if people are trying to tell you that you're three percent or your five percent pay rise is something that you should be grateful for.
Speaker 2: Like, please, don't get me wrong.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you're looking at it and going with me at the end of the day, like I have more money coming in, but that's not as respectful as it could be. And I think that mostly we are just trying to demand respect because there are going to be a lot of small business owners that aren't able to put up their salaries. Like we are so lucky in the world that we live in right now that she's on the money's doing well enough that we can do that. And I think then in every single opportunity where I can pass it on to my team or make sure that they're in the best possible position or being remunerated as well as they possibly could, that's my responsibility. And you know what, it could have been a really hard conversation if we didn't have a level of profit. But I also think that that comes down to ultimately the greed of the business owner as well. And I'm not saying that every business owner is greedy, But at the end of the day, I think I still would have passed it on regardless of wash my profits were looking like. I just would have changed what I was taking home to make sure that my staff knew that I still respected them in the way that I actually do. Yeah, so everyone's different again, but I think we should be asking for respect in our workplaces.
Speaker 2: And that's a bare minimum. Yep. And that's the tea. All right, that's a good tea.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go get a cup of tea now because mine's gone cold. So have the best week, guys. I love you, and we will see you on Monday for Money Days.
Speaker 2: Bye guys. Bye.
Speaker 4: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision.
Speaker 2: If you do choose to buy a financial.
Speaker 4: Product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria, Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money sherper P, T y L t D A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight a F s L four five one two eight nine