Speaker 1: Good a Peter, Hell, are you here? Welcome to You ain't seen nothing yet? The movie podcast where I chat to a movie lover a bet a classic beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guest comedian, broadcaster, podcaster, wine lover, great mate Merrick Watts.
Speaker 2: All below.
Speaker 1: I want to stay here with you.
Speaker 2: That little jobble. Why hate snake sucked my hail?
Speaker 1: The economy haven't any right suck?
Speaker 2: You ain't seen nothing yet.
Speaker 1: Not many people can say they gave birth to a radio network, but my guest today can. He's my great mate, Merck Watts, and he, alongside his great mate Tim Ross, American Rosso basically well, they were the first show on the Nova network in Sydney and it was an instant success. They were huge. They were coming from Triple J where they were also huge. They got Nova rolling. It wasn't just about a success. It actually just built a culture around that radio station that I still think is felt today. After American Rosso professionally went their own ways and they were doing massive shows by the way, and they were the first people to kind of put their arm around me. I actually met Merrick before I started comedy he's my oldest mate in comedy, my greatest mating comedy. But they got me on at that chible J's show where I was doing Peter Hallie p I whether it's the challenges to me. One was to write a musical about Bevan from Young Talent Time. I teamed up with Gatesy to do That ended up being the number thirty five song on chible J's Hottus one hundred. That still one of the most surreal moments of my career. But they were also doing shows. They kind of began doing shows, not right at the beginning, but when they were getting bigger at the Prince Patrick Hotel and they would get me to do support and I just loved watching them on stage so much. And they're doing the en More Theater I think at one point and they may still have it for the most amount of consecutive shows at the end More Theater. That's a theater that holds I think two and a half thousand. I assue some support shows with him there and it was just as always my favorite gigs. Since they've gone their separate professional ways, it's been amazing to see what Mehs has built with his grapes of Mirth brand. It is a wine revolution. Mes loves his wine. He's a bit of a pis s head. He's an old fashioned pis s head, but he actually knows his wine like he judges wines professionally. He knows what he's talking about. He's passionate about it, and he's built the Grapes of Mirth brand, which if you've ever been like a day on the green, it's like that. You go to a winery, you sit it on the blanket, you drink some peanut gree and you watch comedians. You watch about six comedians and now it's even grown even more. I've done about half a dozen of them. They are always a bunch of fun. The comedians love it, the crowd loves it. It's a great day. But they've got even bigger. They're doing festivals now, Grapes of Mirth festivals where they're not just comedians, but there's musicians, podcasts, all kinds of wine shinannig and so there's one I think coming up soon. We talk about that. So get to a Grape of Mirth, follow them on Instagram if you can, and also mess as a new podcast out as well. Doesn't everybody but it's a great one. It's called Picture Discuss, where you get some comedians in they basically show them a picture and they discuss it. It's a very simple concept, but it's bloody funny and it's great and Mez it's always a great host a Mez. It's one of the most passionate people I know. Like I said, he's my oldest mate, one of my greatest mates in comedy and out. He's passionate about wine. He's passionate about the coming football, he's passionate about the army, military history. I think he went he won Essays Australia or he was at least tired for first I was so proud of him. I haven't watched it since that series. I watched because you know, my mate being pushed to the limit and it was amazing to see that. I love his bloke. He knows that he's passionate, he's bloody intelligent, he thinks outside the square. He's hilarious and I'm bloody stoked to be hanging with him today.
Speaker 2: Hello. My name's Mark Watts, and my three favorite films are The Life Aquatic, Oh.
Speaker 3: Sh Swipe, Bleitches, Everybody Jack with swarpe bleitches are pulling off.
Speaker 2: Nobody else got hit. I'm the only one with the steal platoon.
Speaker 1: We're going to lose this w.
Speaker 2: Come on, do you really think so us?
Speaker 4: We've been kicking other people's asses for so long.
Speaker 1: I figure it's time when gun ours.
Speaker 2: Kicked and Grimsby. See those blokes out there, those are Manchester United supports US. How law may you delay them? I promise I'll burn your school down for you. But before this week I had never seen before sunrise.
Speaker 1: So listen, here's the deal. This is what we should do.
Speaker 5: You should get off the train with me here in Vienna and come check out the town.
Speaker 6: What come on, I'll be fine, that's what we do.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: All I know is I have to catch an Austrian Airlines flight tomorrow morning at nine thirty and I don't really have enough money for a hotel, so it's just going to walk around. And it'd be a lot more fun if you came with me. And if I turn out to be some kind of psycho, you know, you just get on the next train, all right, all right, think of it like this. Jump ahead ten twenty years, okay, and you're married only your marriage doesn't have that same energy that I.
Speaker 2: Used to have. You know, you start to blame your husband.
Speaker 5: You start to think about all those guys you've met in your life and what might have.
Speaker 6: Happened if you picked up with one of them.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm one of those guys.
Speaker 1: That's me, you know.
Speaker 5: So think of this as time travel from then to now to find out what you're missing out and see what this really could be is a gigantic fever to both you and your future husband. To find out that you're not missing out on anything. I'm just a big as loser as he is, totally unmotivated, totally boring, and you made the right choice and you're really happy.
Speaker 7: Let me get me back.
Speaker 1: Yes. Julie Delby Selaine has sat in the wrong seat on a train making its way through Europe to Paris. A German married cabal are arguing about something, probably sausages or Hitler, or maybe both, so she decides to move to the seat across from Ethan Hawke's Jesse, really not sure why she had not made this move earlier. It doesn't take long for these two young travelers that get talking and jump into their relevant histories. When the train pulls up in Vienna. It's time for Jesse to depart, but this connection they have conjured up is simply too powerful to walk away from. Or did this embarka train? Jesse returns with the proposal get off the train with me and walk the streets of Vienna during the night. Thankfully for the movie's sake, Selene says yes, and so we begin a stroll through one of the great cities of Europe with two star crossed lovers. Directed by the great Richard link Later, who wrote the screenplay with friend Kim Krizan, with significant input by Ethan Hook and Julie Delpy. It's the first of the Before trilogies, Before Sunset and Before Midnight, being the next two Merrick Watts. Would you have gotten off the train with Ethan Hawk?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely, He's a hunk.
Speaker 1: He is like he I mean, he's done so much good work over the years, but this is like, yeah, this is early. The first time I saw Ethan Hawk was in Dead Poet Society and he was quite a I think I've spoken about this before when we did it with the Alexi Tolly A great movie, Love that movie. But when I saw that and I saw Ethan Hawk for the first time. I wasn't sure if he could act, because he was very quiet in that film, and I wasn't sure if that was just him and I reckon before Sunrise. Despite the fact that I've only seen it for the first time too this week, I think this is the beginning of us seeing Ethan Hook as a broader artist than actually what we had seen him before.
Speaker 2: It shows a bit of range. Yeah, yeah, so maybe he hadn't shown range before. That's what really kind of struck me at the start, was, you know, having not seen the movie before and seeing Ethan Hawk when he was really young. I was like, I was really impressed by his range in the film, like he was able to kind of you know, carry different levels of acting, to show different emotions in different you know pace, And it was I think he did a really good job.
Speaker 1: He's really good. Why now you I'm surprised I hadn't seen this film. So this comes out in ninety five, I'm twenty. I've recently gotten back from Europe from a holiday which was was more of a mission.
Speaker 2: To it's a kenticky to a pete.
Speaker 1: Stop talking it up.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, why do you keep saying, so sabbatical each Kentucky to it.
Speaker 1: Is a mission, and I don't care if they say under twenty eight I don't care. I've got my fake ID and it holds up in most countries. Yeah. So i'd gone over when I was eighteen. I think I've mentioned this on the podcast before. I had a girlfriend who was finished, who'd become already become an ex girlfriend before i'd left. As she was, I still come over. So I went on this massive kind of adventure. So I come back when I'm nineteen. This comes out like a year later. It should be my wheelhouse. I'm not sure why I hadn't seen it. You just missed it, and you're on so similar age, so why hadn't you seen it?
Speaker 2: I really don't know why. I think again, like you, Pete, I think it just kind of it got swept by. Maybe Terminator was released to some stage near there. I don't know, but it was like, yeah, it's a film. I feel like I should have seen before and enjoyed it before. But it was, like you, Pete, in that time when this film was being made, in the kind of mid nineties, not long after that, like I went on my first kind of sojourn where I went overseas and went backpacking on my own and had like similar kind of experiences, you know, traveling on trains and meeting foreigners and kind of exploring myself as much. And that's the things like you're kind of exploring countries, but you're also exploring people and attitudes and culture. There's so much exploration going on. But I can't believe I didn't see it at that time, because I would have gone, oh, that's just like a trip that I've just done or I'm about to do, or give me some inspiration. So I don't know how it passed me by. Like I said, it must have been a terminated film. Maybe some guy came out of the linoleum floor and I was like, okay, this is me for two years.
Speaker 1: I think my early impression of it was it just it was like a little romantic comedy, and I'm not you know, I made a romanic comedy. I'm certainly for a romantic comedy, but I just didn't it didn't seem to jump out at me as a film that I really needed to see. I want to look at the films I'm nine in ninety five and see what actually was coming out, because you're right, sometimes it is just a films you know, that are coming out that year.
Speaker 2: It could have been released at the same time as a massive blockbust like a die Hard or something like that, which just soaks up all the oxygen.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely so some of the films that came out in ninety five. I mean you may have gone and see Billy Madison, Oh yeah, instead of seeing Before Sunrise. Actually, I know what you've seen. You've seen show Girls.
Speaker 2: That's what it was two years over and over again, ninety five to ninety seven.
Speaker 1: Clueless, Brave Heart, Oh Brave Heart. You would have seen that. I saw that in the cinema seven.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 2: See. They're two huge movies.
Speaker 1: Batman Forever, Yes, and even as far as the Comedi's ace Ventura comes out another romantic comedy while you were sleeping with Sandra Bullock water World. May as we skip that. Apollo thirteen, The Usual Suspects.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: See yeah, that's one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: It's hard to talk about these days because some of the problematic cast and crew toy story comes out. Die Hard with a Vengeance, Yeah, see, there we go, dead Man Walking I saw that in the cinema casino, so and it wasn't a massive hit. I think it only made it made like a pretty poultry, like five million dollars I think I read at the box office. It became a bit of a hit later, And it was really just the commitment of the the actors involved in the director who decided that maybe we want to commit to doing this idea of you know, a sequel nine years down the track. But we'll get to all of that. But I'm glad we're doing this because we both love traveling, and I think there'll be some good reminiscing going on as well as talking about Before Sunrise from nineteen ninety five. Let's talk about your three favorite films. So the first one was The Life Aquatic. This is an excellent choice. I haven't watched it for a while, but I said for a long time it was my favorite Where's Anderson film? Yep, my son Oscar. During lockdown we sat down and watched all the Wes Anderson films. Who went I saw Asteroid City together. We're looking forward in fact as we speak, and by the time this goes out, there will be a new Were's Anderson film. On Netflix. Yeah, which like I had this weird thing where you know, sometimes when it rains at pause, I had Andison is one of my favorite filmmakers, had the news that this film I never heard of was coming out like in a week on Netflix. And also my favorite band of National were dropping a new album. Like it was just like, what I've done something right?
Speaker 2: If Colin Wood would win a premiership.
Speaker 1: Factor of glory are two much because you know, by the time this goes away, we may actually know if that happened or not. So I'll try to play a straight line on that way, but it is. It is a great film. The Life Aquatic with Steve's the Zoo, Bill Murray and or The Regular with Kate Blanchet's in there as.
Speaker 2: Well, Angelica Houston. It's like an all star cast. Willem Dafoe and he plays Klass, which is like one of the best cameo performances. He's awesome in cameo performances, but he is so good in that character. It's there's an amazing scene in that film where there's a bit of slap between him and Wilson out on a dock, and it's such a magically performed piece of acting. I was like, my god, it's brilliant. But the film itself, like, I watch it with my kids. My kids love Wes Anderson films. I'm not one of those people that is so sick of fantic about Where's Anderson films that I think they're all great. I think some of them are pretty ordinary. But I think that film is one of the best things I've ever seen in my life. I could watch it over and over and over again, and I do because I think it's just it's the music is amazing, so well done.
Speaker 1: So it's David Bowie, a lot of Bowie tracks Portuguese.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the music is wonderful, It's perfectly matched. It's got a wonderful combination of you know, live action and set pieces as well as you know, some really nice studio elements of inside the ship where you cut through and stuff like that classic Wes Anderson kind of stuff. But I just really really love that film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is a great pick, and I reminded that I need to watch it again. Let's talk about soon.
Speaker 2: So good.
Speaker 1: I'm not surprised there is a war movie. We're talking Mister Sas Australia himself was this the seed that was sown for your eventual appearance on Essays Australia.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, I always had an obsession with the army and warfare as a kid. But I think with Platurn, all the movies i'd seen about war up until that point were glorification of war, and this was actually, you know, the human side of war. And again, Willem Defoe like he was, he absolutely owned that film. It's based around you know, Charlie Sheen is the protagonist. He is the main character in the film and you follow his story, but it's actually the humanity of Willem Dafoe that highlights the inhumanity of war, and was the first one that was like, it was very graphic, so like you know, it was graphic warfare in a way that it was even more graphic than say something like Francis faul Coppola's Apocalypse Now. So it was graphic and brutal, but it had a different kind of resonance. As I said, it was the first war film i'd seen that made made me actually think war is not all good. That's when I discovered war is bad, all bad. Merrick all bad, all bad, and Willem Dafoe and that there's one scene where he is running away from gunfire and he's been shot repeatedly, and the inhumanity of I think was Barnes. He's, you know, direct opposite of the chopper flying away in him running through a field and just dying in a field. And I was just like, I remember, just like as a kid being moved to tears. I just really resonated with him. That's a beautiful film.
Speaker 1: Is that the post image.
Speaker 2: Dropping on his knees and he's been shot to pieces and the helicopter is moving away.
Speaker 1: It also comes out of the time when there were a lot of war films coming out. There were the first met jacket film, Middle Jacket, Casualist of War with Sean Penn and Michael J. Fox, you know, and that was a real departure for Michael J. Fox. A thin red line I think came a few years later. Yeah, excellent pick Grins. Here we go fun with somebody you love somebody we had I'm not sure if I've played it, but we had a speak pipe or at least an email and my apologies to the lady who wrote it, requesting that we cover Grimsby as a classic or blooved film.
Speaker 2: I think it's amazing. I think it's amazing, and I love saying it because comedians and you know, noncomedians, people just generally when I tell them that Grimsby is one of my favorite comedies ever made, They're just like, what is wrong with you? I thought that you had taste, And I go, it's brilliant. It is absolutely brilliant. I love I love comedies. You know, when I was a kid, I loved two things, war and comedy, and I've managed to do a bit of both over my life, but there are the two things. When I was a teenager, a pre teenage boy, the only things I was really interested was American comedies like Caddyshack and meat Balls and Stripes and things like that. I was absolutely obsessed. And again Bill Murray as well, which is why I love The Life Aquatic. So I loved American comedy films and I loved Warfare. But I think the reason why I picked Grimsby is because it's the I really respect Sesshia Khin Baron, I really do. I think he is an absolute genius, and what I love about this film is the length that he's prepared to go to to force the joke to keep going, like everybody knows, oh that's a bit edgy, and he just goes, Oh you think that's the edge, let me open up a few more doors. The ledges out over here, and I'm going over it. And that's what it does with Grimsby. It is not the most clever film. It's not a clever comedy, but it is so difficult for me to not just laugh my ass off. And there's scenes in that film that you just go, it's gone too far, and then you go and then he goes another level. And that's what I love, is that commitment from him to just say, we already know that this is past the level. We are now inside an elephant, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, And he goes and that's a scene that I remember, like I saw it to interview him. I interviewed him for this film on the project, and I remember, I remember, this thing is a really funny film. But it's not one that I've revisited. Maybe I should again.
Speaker 2: It's actually a lot more layer than it first appears. But what's brilliant is that you know that there's a line that he could say, oh, okay, we've ticked that box. Now that's done. We've got that joke. It's done, and he goes, n let's go one more level and you go okay, and so that you go there with the joke and he goes and one more and you go wow.
Speaker 1: I remember Seth McFarland, our Family Guy, saying, and really I think about it a lot, saying, how often in the traditional writers rooms and in comedic writers rooms, you're a bunch of writers, often comedians, and they joke, and they take the joke further and further and further until until you're in an elephant, you know, and then somebody will say, Okay, well we can't do that, so they go back three options before where it's saved totally. And that's what Family Guy don't do, is what Sasha Baron Cohen don't do. They go, what is the fucking where's the edge, And let's go go fucking three or four notches above that or past that. And that's and you build your own culture, Like if I was to do some of sars, Sasha Baron Cohen does my audience, and you've always grow your audience, you're always pivot and all that. I except that I'm kind of using myself as a hypothetical example in the way, but they won't, they won't enjoy that. There are routines. I'm not sure if you've done this as well. There's routines that I've written that have almost given away to others because I've.
Speaker 2: Gone better suited for someone else.
Speaker 1: It's not for me. It's not for me to say this, So it's not for me or my audience doesn't want to hear this from me.
Speaker 2: It's correct, and.
Speaker 1: They are transfer You're going to go no, I'm going to push my audience and they I think they should hear this from me because of a different perspective and whatever I always tew comics to a kind of newer. You get to build your own culture, and the weirder your culture, darker or whatever you want to call it, the edge of your culture wants to be. It might take you longer, you know, to find your audience and to build an audience, but you'll own you'll you'll just own your space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and look, you know what it is for me, Pete. And this is true of what you've just said. But it's bravery, right, It comes down to bravery and commitment. Like I said, commitment but it's actually a bravery that I truly admire because if it's one thing what's Sasha k Sasha Baron Cohen does brilliantly is when he is alig or if he's bor out or whatever like that, he's flying off, you know, the cuff, as it were, and that's really brave. We know going into that that that's brave. But also too it's it's unpredictably brave. So we admire the bravery of it because we don't know what the outcome could be or would be, and he pushes it and we seem to go he could literally get shot, punched or murdered right now. So it's a bravery that's really substantive. We understand and see that. But the bravery, like you said, to not step back from the joke to right to level five, to deaf Con five, and then not pull it back to palatable deaf Con three, that's what I admire. It's the bravery of the commitment that I really respect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I love it. And I think he's preparing I've heard for a while that he's been preparing a live tour. In fact, he did a lot of the work in Australia between lockdowns. Some of our friends I think, you know, kind of helped work on it with him and gave him feedback. And I think he's bringing all the characters on a live to it. So we'll keep you posted on that. I'm sure you probably hear about it outside of this podcast. I'm sure, says a Brown Currany isn't just relying on me to get the word out for him.
Speaker 2: These publicists right now is taking notes going.
Speaker 1: No one came. Maybe we didn't put all our eggs in the right basket before we get on to talk about today's movie, not in ninety fives before sunrise. I want to encourage everyone to jump on our speak pipe, follow our page and it's basically like leaving an answer machine message, but we're going to hear your voice on our speaker. We heard from Beck last week. She had requested this movie. In fact, before sunrise. I think we've delivered on that. And this is Tim. Tim has contacted me and the show. Let's see from Tim.
Speaker 9: Could Pete love the podcast so many great episodes? I wanted to suggest a couple of potential future guests. Brian Nankervis. I thought it could be cool Rosso Andrew Gays and Sarah Kendall would be another one. And my other suggestion. I listened to Ben Lee doing The Club and I really enjoyed it, but obviously Ben didn't particularly like the film. I'd love you to revisit the Club with a with a guest who's a Collingwood supporter. So I was thinking maybe, like if you could redo it with Merrick White, So I think Brad Oaks might be a Collingwood supporter or Santo Cillaro, someone like that. But yeah, love the podcast and keep them coming. Thanks Mane.
Speaker 1: Good work, Tim, Cool work Tim. And I'm glad because I think Mes was like, Okay, he's mentioned Rosso. He doesn't, he hasn't requested me. You're savings.
Speaker 2: I'm right here, Tim here, and good on you. Well done for being a colin With supporter and also to managing to be articulate, so not something we're known for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great one. It's a great idea. I'm not sure we've never gone back and recovered an episode. It feels like a fun live event we should do.
Speaker 2: I'd love to do it. I think that's great. I haven't seen the Club in years too, Like a long time.
Speaker 1: You can imagine there's some stuff in there.
Speaker 2: It'd be disastrous.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think you can make an AFL film five years ago in a wooden age, well over year period, you.
Speaker 2: Make a film about the AFL in January and right now it's canceled. You know, it's just it's a bit of a moving but he spit it's up. Look, Yeah that's it. That's a good suggestion though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks him for that. And yeah, any podcast a Gmail if you want to send us an email, but what up to hear your voice? So get onto our speak pipe. Just follow the page as well. Okay, tell me something that really pisses your offe really jameson.
Speaker 8: Crazy been told by strange men. Strange men in the street, you know, like to smile, like to make them feel better, but they're boring life.
Speaker 2: What else?
Speaker 4: I hate?
Speaker 8: I hate that three hundred kilometers from here, there's a war going on. You know, people are dying and nobody knows what to do about it, or they don't give a shit.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I hate that. The media is you know, they're trying to control our minds.
Speaker 1: The media.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the media, you.
Speaker 7: Know, it's very subtle. But it's a new form of fascism.
Speaker 4: Really, I hate.
Speaker 8: I hate when I'm in a foreign country, especially in America.
Speaker 7: They other words, each time I wear.
Speaker 8: Black, or like lose my temper or say anything about anything, you know, they always.
Speaker 10: Go, oh, it's so French, it's so cute.
Speaker 2: I hate that.
Speaker 4: I can stand it.
Speaker 2: Really, is it all?
Speaker 4: Well, there's a lot of things with it.
Speaker 10: So it's my turn.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're gonna answer ideas, answer what's the problem for you?
Speaker 1: You bro okay. Eric Watts ninety ninety five Before Sunrise, directed by Richard Link later The Great Richard Link. Later he also The Days of Confused Boyhood, School of Rock, Ascandadarkly Waking Life Bernie, one of the most interesting filmmakers of our time. Did you enjoy Before Sunrise?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I did. I thought it was I think because I really liked the nostalgic tones and the hark back to the nineties, and it was a really good reminder from somebody, you know, who was in my formative years in the nineties, Like the characters were, so I really liked the fact that I was going, oh, yeah, I'm kind of relating to their journey in life as well, like, you know, the not knowing where your future is at and kind of playing a little bit loose and being comfortable with it. Just kind of like it seemed like the characters both kind of knew that life would work out okay, but they didn't actually know how it was going to work out. I liked that, and I felt drawn to it for that reason. I liked the story. Also. I am actually strangely quite romantic. I am at heart a slight romantic, So I like the idea that you know, they had this this kind of romantic moment with each other that was so short and so intense, but yet not passionate. It was very it was very interesting. It was romantic more than passionate. Sometimes you know, a lot of romantic films go really hard on the passion of it and certainly the physical expression, but that was That's not what it was about. It was about real connection, and it was it was really nice. I've never had that connection with a person, but I mean, it was great to see it on screen.
Speaker 1: And I so it was my first time watching it, and I really enjoyed it. I really enjoyed it. I did wonder what whether this film meant to me if I watched it in nineteen ninety five when it came out, like I think it would be like right up there, like it would have meant a lot to me, I think, Yeah, just being in that headspace and you know, and the way we are sometimes aspirational of going, oh, how good would it be to fall in love with a French woman on the train and traveling through the romanticsm you know, it's a very romantic premise, you know, the idea of you know, living with an open mind and an open heart and going where the day and the night takes you and traveling and being alone, and that that feeling it did take me back of Yea, I traveled alone. I went over to Finland for a short while and then basically was on my own Finland, the home of romance, happiest people in the world, with the biggest suicide, right weird juxtaposition from the Finns, and then spend a lot of time. God has some people around me, but like he chucked around island by myself and went to Scotland and worked there for a little while by myself, you know, went the October first by myself, met some people, drink by yourself. I went to the Octoba first by myself. I blew that theory out of the water. But there is something about that. It took me back to meeting people, and I met all kinds people, some people who meant a lot to me because I was going through you know, a bit of a bit of heartbreak, you know, and strangers, you know, exchange students from New Zealand and people from all around the world who kind of became the kind of important people to me in this moment in my life, and I really have not had anything to do with any of them since. And these two characters that have this make and they don't really know they make this plagere. We'll get to the end later and then what happens later on. You know, at the time, you think, oh, I'll know these people forever, and these this is back also in a time which I really like about the film. No mobiles, you know, no, they don't even have a camera on them to take a photo when he says I want to take a phone and he does it with his mind, you know, like that's such a good because I went in ninety four and I literally came back with a little notebook which I've still got with a handful of email addresses you know, written in there, but mainly phone numbers and postal addresses.
Speaker 2: So I love that. It's funny, you know, because I thought about that at the time. If they had mobile phones, that whole thing would not have worked. Wouldn't have happened.
Speaker 1: They would never they want to looked up by the train. They would have had the noise canceling headphones on, so that the Germans you know, having an argument wouldn't have bothered her.
Speaker 2: You know, it's amazing, like and it was actually really refreshing not seeing the tech in it as well. Yeah, because it is such a story of you know, one to one human conversation and that's what it's all about. So it's kind of like, you know, diametrically opposed to the way we are now as a society, which is massively interconnected constantly you know, linked to technology and to people instantly, and yet this is like this amazing experience where it's just one on one and there is no interruptions, and that's the way the whole movie carries. So it'd be very difficult to see how you could redo that film, now, Yeah, how could you do that now it would be really difficult, you know, one of the things that you don't like, Jesse, I don't like not having my mobile phone, and I don't like talking to you. That's what it. So it's and it's really nice. It was a refreshing kind of you know, like I said.
Speaker 1: Wally flicks through hot Instagram models on and then.
Speaker 2: He matches whether you know what he does. He's on the train and he sees the German guy and goes, oh, I don't think you're meant to be their class and twitch over. And then him meets Selene and he's like, oh, this week's better. That's maybe how you would reinvent the film.
Speaker 1: So if we're saying that that film doesn't work, you know, even ten years later, certainly maybe not twenty years later because basically, well I'm not saying that it doesn't want but you need to incorporate that technology because everyone's traveling now with their you know, with phones and their air pods or their boss no it's canceling headphones. I wonder how much of that is affecting real travel like our people, you know, I know, I spect about this in the stand up, like we've forgotten how to be bored, Yes, and we through boredom comes ideas and creativity. Like my kids never say to me now they know what they go to. They go to their phones and they've never bought.
Speaker 2: Yeap, which means that there I've been generationally. I mean, there's a whole other discussion, but I agree with it entirely. Because they're a board, they're not forced to use their imagination. Because they're not using their imagination, they're not as creative. Like when I go for a drive, sometimes I drive a lot, you know, in rural areas. I love it. And oftentimes I won't listen to a podcast, I won't listen to music, I won't do anything. I will just watch the road and just let my mind travel, because we used to do that when I was a kid. I used to look out the window and I'd be bored out of my mind driving from Melbourne to Broken Hill. But I used to have like really crazy imagination going on because I was bored. And it's this funny thing about train. So the movies, you know, they meet on a train, and the first thing I saw on that and the kind of opening scenes on the train was like how much I love rail travel? For that, and I do it whenever I can, whenever I can, particularly overseas, I travel by rail and I try not to listen to headphones. I listened to immersion is is, that's actually the experience there, So why bring in another experience? Like whatever you're listening to is actually like I think some music maybe, but like I think immersing himself in the environment and looking at the window, it's one of the great experiences you can have.
Speaker 1: I agree, and I'm guilty.
Speaker 2: Germans are arguing that's all kitching.
Speaker 1: Apparently they are arguing because it was a choice not to have subtitles on. But they're arguing about that. Think the lady brings up a thing about that, or the guy brings up a thing about there there's four hundred thousand alcoholics or forty thousand alcoholics in Germany or something, and then she says, oh, you're one of them, and he says, I'm not surprised, I'm married to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a classic. That's a classic fallback. I look at me, I have to only drink because of you. Yeah, sure, Klaus, right, whatever yourself, whatever you life.
Speaker 1: I think she was right to move away from Klaus.
Speaker 2: I think it was upset because I think I understand a little bit of German. And there was a line there is said that he was angry with her because she forgot to pack his leather shorts and mask, and how was he expected to go to the clubs in Berlin.
Speaker 1: I know he's gonna look silly in theology, That's what it was. And there's nothing worse than looking silly at analogy. It just it just does not put you in the mood. So they get off the train, and I mean, the connection between these two is off the charts. I think like it is. That's why I think there's three films. I mean, you get this casting wrong and it doesn't work. I think Ethan Hawk and Julie Delpy do. They completely work, and I love there's a little shift, like on the train. I had a little concern at the start, So she moves seats. Her moving seats maybe the earliest inciting incident of any movie I've seen. You could argue that Ethan Hall coming on and saying get off the train with me is the inciting incident, but I would suggest the potential the exciting incident is the incident and the action that kind of begins the domino effect of the plot, I guess, and the narrative her moving seats because of the Germans is the inciting incident.
Speaker 2: But people have had to move because of the Germans.
Speaker 1: I mean, we shouldn't be laughing historical, it's quite true, the layers of this film and what he's saying, which later is saying about the world. So they're very confident, you know, and they're having this kind of like they're very quick to getting to this kind of the big issues, and they're they're reading books, which you know, again there's another thing you don't really see on trains anymore. You do occasionally, and they so having pretty big discussions pretty early. They seem pretty Particlarly Ethan Hogg. He seems pretty confident. I'm like, ah, is he going to be that kind of smamy American. Then they get off the train. They have this little moment on the bridge where it's it's awkward all of a sudden, because it's shifted. They've gone from like, you know, this is just us on the train and who knows how long we'll be talking for and they are connecting, but it's like there's a certain bravado that's going on. And now they've shifted off the train and they realized they've made the commitment to spend you know, eighteen hours whatever it might be together and oh shit, we need to.
Speaker 2: We need to do something here because the jeopardy. That what happened is the jeopardy. It's a commitment of time and resources. And you know, the fact that they've decided to do that. I know exactly what you're saying. That jeopardy kind of kicks in and then you just go, oh, okay, and there is that movement. That's what I'm saying about. You know, at the start about Ethan talk where I was like he had a bit of range, Like you could see that kind of shift in him as like, you know, the cocky bravado, you know, American, you know, kind of teen guy is now going, I actually have to be interesting and we've got to find interesting things and keep momentum. And that's what was great about it was like they both managed to push the momentum of the film because otherwise it could it could be very boring very quickly. But oh we went to a cafe with this end.
Speaker 1: This is largely it's a talkie film. This is very dialogue heavy. A lot of people think it's improvised.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask you about that. It was one of my notes.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Richard Link later wrote this with the writing partner of his, Kim Chrisan, and they really both had similar experiences where Richard Link later spent a night walking around Philadelphia with a woman called Amy who he just happened to meet, and Kim had traveled I was traveling through Europe, I think from Paris and at last through Europe and met a Norwegian man and they had this kind of connection. So they both had these these stories and they kind of wrote this movie, but it was very kind of they left it open, you know, and then they kind of worked with Ethan Hawk and Julie Delpy to kind of fill in some blanks. And I guess you use their experiences as well, and to the point where they don't get credited as writers. But in the next movie they do okay, and I think in the subsequent one Before Midnight they do as well. And there was there's one scene where, in fact when Ethan Hawk, when we heard it earlier, when he's saying, get off the train with me, Julie Delpy kind of they said, hang on, you need to give me a reason to get off the train. And I think what's in there at the moment is not working like I wouldn't. And it's a very good point, and it's a very important point because it's this is this is kicking off the movie, like does you get off the train? And this is good movies ask questions of you and like you can kind of and you can talk about would you get off the Train's.
Speaker 2: That's that's such a good point. Yeah, instantly as at the audience, you instantly asked a question like not a moral dilemma or anything like that, but it's like would you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, would you yes? Yeah? And so he came up with I think a few times he kind of and he was kind of improvising it a bit, and you know, I think working with Richard Link later and Julie wo be like, nah, it didn't work, do it again. And so he came up with this kind of idea of the time 'espeacially like time travel. I'm basically you know, saving you from making mistake or you can look back when you're with your husband and look back and this is the guy you avoided and.
Speaker 2: Sliding doors, moment sliding doors, and.
Speaker 1: You know we've seen they've also had the connection early, so we know there's a connection there. But it's still a big thing to get off a train with a relative stranger and not to accommodation or you're literally walking around.
Speaker 2: Of times I've done it on public transport, and I've done it probably I've got a nun for one hundred.
Speaker 1: Striker YEAHM zero two.
Speaker 2: By sorry, I noticed you're reading your newspaper. Would you like to get off this train and we'll just spend a day together.
Speaker 1: On an experiment. How many people can get get off the train and walk around just shepding them with us?
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm a foreign national. Would you like to get off this train with me?
Speaker 1: I'm going to walk around Sovereign Hill all night. You want to come with me, we'll dig for gold. Well one of these things about when they're on the train, when he pitches his TV show and it's the Truman show he's pitching.
Speaker 2: That was remarkable. That was remarkable. It's unkenny. And also to her reference to which was actually in the audio clip, about how news media was controlling people's thoughts, like you know, now, that's something we just all understand and you know, kind of no, I.
Speaker 1: Would say, there's three things she brings up that are all on the money. I think, the way men treat women as far as going, yeah, smile, you know, the way men try to control women, and even in minute ways like that. You know, you imagine your granddad or your dad in the same smile. So it's you know, like it's no, you don't get to tell them how to behave and what to do with their face. And then the war three hundred kilometers away, that's that's a reference at that time too, was war in Croatia, yeahs Kosovo, Yeah, no matter in Croatia, I think, And you know, obviously if the film was made today, I mean the Ukraine and yeah, and you're at the media, and that's something that we kind of seem to be aware of. Yeah, it's it's it's varying degrees, mind you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's it's it's funny that it's like kind of a little prescient as well, but also at the same time wrapped in nostalgia. That's what I thought was kind of cool about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a couple of little insights and little bits of peace but I did want to bring up the fact that, you know, one of the things I really liked about this film, Pete, is the fact that it feels like you could have done it, Like anybody can do this film, you know what I mean, Like it's not like a Pollo thirt eight where you go, well, I could never be in that. I'm not a character in that film, whereas anybody can be a character, whether you know your male or female or whatever. Any person, any human can be a character in this film if it was redone, because you go, well, I could be in that circumstance. And I really liked that. And then I thought about it, and I've actually been at that time. In nineteen ninety five, I was in a remarkably similar circumstance and it played out a little bit differently. But it was nineteen ninety five and I was working in a pub and I met a French woman, a French girl, and I thought she was stunning, and I was talking to it, but I was working the same time, and it kind of struck really liked her personally. I thought she was really really bright, and I was like, oh, okay, this is kind of a bit weird. I said, how long are you traveling around Australia for us? And I said, okay, well, hey, this is gonna sound a bit weird, but tomorrow I'm not working. Do you want to go somewhere? And she goes, what do you mean? What do you have in mind? I said, have you seen Australian animals? Do you want to go to the zoo? And she goes, I would love to go to the zoo. And I was like, oh my god, I'm going on a date with a French This is exciting. So we agreed to meet. Because you know, there's no mobile phones. I said to meet me at the Melbourne Zoo at this time and we'll have a day. And we did. We went to the zoo and met her and she was so French and everything was wonderment to her. So, you know, like I would go, this is a taipan, obviously a snake that I've handled heaps of times because I've got Australians, so I've got natural ability to handle poisonous animals, and she's just buying it all and go, oh, you know we have those anyway, So taking around the zoo and we were there all day and it was intoxicating and just being around this woman and seeing things through her lens and experiencing through her wonderment, and I was like, my god, this is an amazing connection. And at the end of the left the zoo walked out the front and I said, would you like to go and get a drink? Do you want to go and have a drink? And she said, oh no, I can't and I said, oh, okay, why not? She said I have to go and meet my boyfriend. And I was like, fuck you.
Speaker 1: And then she sprayed you with mace.
Speaker 2: And it really was the worst day of my life. Can you see how those sliding door moments can sometimes go wrong? Like maybe just don't talk to the person on the train, maybe just put your headphones.
Speaker 1: Your sliding door moments became what were you fall? And your head's in between the sliding doors, and the sliding doors are just like banging into your head forward and back, forward and back.
Speaker 2: And I'm on the outside and the train leaves and it's still dragging me by my head down the platform so everybody could see it. And I swear to God Win, this girl just told me that she had a boyfriend and couldn't go out on a date with her. I was like, first of all, I was bying the way by what did we just do for six hours? What was that you paid for this? Because it was a date I paid for it. I was like, okay, did you have for a zoo? A yearly passed and that it's like that was all of my money. I think I had like thirty dollars left for drinks. I was going, oh my god. And it was just like, oh, these things don't work out. And then that's that was the beginning of my hatred of the French. Subsequent submarine contracts later, I was very very happy. But yeah, it was funny like that was that was a real time and that year was that year. It's a remarkable that that is.
Speaker 1: It wasn't Julie Delpy, wasn't it was she was going after meet Ethan Hawk. It was, oh my god, but what it isn't me? And that's what traveling by yourself can do. And in a way I had it with my finished girlfriend, but I was in my own country, like she was the one traveling and we had this, you know, very different its meeting on the train. She was living next door and all that. But when you are traveling by yourself. It's amazing how more open you are, Like compare traveling to yourself and the way you are open to the world and the way you view the world and the opportunities that present to you. You're way more open to compared to the way we live. And we're talking to men closing in on fifty, married with kids. We're not necessarily going you know, it's not my job or the way I want to live my life to be open to every opportunity that presents itself. That's a very dangerous way to live. I'm no longer married and my kids are no longer talking to me. If I take every opportunity, you know, And that's that's from like, oh, somebody's off at me. A Ryan to ship, you know, to Bendigo. I'm gonna jump out, go to Bendiga. No. Yeah, And this film did a really good job of taking me back and sometimes even reminded me of people who I hang out with for a week or I hitchhiked with, you know, or you know, I got friendly with, you know, Like it was a whole range of people to kind of flash back through my mind as I was watching it, and it reminded me of the joy of I mean, I still love traveling. I have traveled a favorite this year, but there is still something very special. I think, particularly when you're younger, but not necessarily. I think you know, you can travel any time, and then depending on where you are in your life, it is very profound. I think traveling and having that time to yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's the thing is too. You know, you're on your own, so you've got to be independent. But then also too, what happens is that independence is you start having independent thought. So roughly, it was in nineteen ninety eight I went overseas on my own for the first time, and I went backpacking through Canada and America, and I was away for just over a month, and it was the first time I'd been on my own, first time I've been alone in my own thoughts, like really like it was at this time I was was doing CTA, I was about to go and start working with Rosso on Triple J on Sundays. So this is pre drive, pre everything, and I knew I was about to have an epoch in my life. I knew that I was going to have a change, like things were going to change. I literally went overseas, rushed the trip because I knew that Rossall and I were going to be filling in for Roy and HG on Sundays on Triple J and I thought, this is the pathway. I could feel it.
Speaker 1: And know that's an Emmy, a Peabody, an Oscar and the Community Radio Award. I'm sorry, sorry, sorry as well, sorry sorry, but it was.
Speaker 2: Like I did know at that time that my life was going to change when I got back, so I was like, I'm going to go and do this now. And it was formative in my thinking. My independence was there, my ability to kind of know what I liked and what I didn't like and just explore the things that I enjoyed, and and like you saying, Peter, like I met people that I might have spent three or four days with. I met some Scottish dude who was hilarious and hung out with him for three days in somewhere in Canada. I can't eve remember where it was now, and it was just pisce funny. Never spoke to the bike again. That was it, and that was okay, you know, like there was no exchange of anything. It was just like where it's like we're probably nowadays you would have a phone, you would have got a phone. Yeah, but it's just like, well, you know, what are we going to do? Write letters to each other. We're not going to be penpals. It was then acceptance of a short term friendship. And that's what was interesting about the film is the acceptance of something being short but intense and being okay with that, rather than trying to make something live forever.
Speaker 1: And the fact that they knew this was a short that had a short time together is really that opens it up, and because it puts you in a very different headspace. And I imagine some people look at this film and like my concerns early was is Ethan Hawk talking like you know, this is written actually by a forty year old guy, and he's kind of profound kind of guy. He's thinking big thoughts and they're not natural discussions you will have with somebody you've just met. But when you're traveling by yourself, you know you are ready if you meet that right person, even if it's not the kind of love connection, but even if it's a friendly connection, you are happy to fucking chat. Yeah, you know, yeah, this may be the first person he has spoken to for days. You know, he's gone the Madrid with for his X, which actually kind of was a little triggering for me because and it's like, oh, Okay, this is not happening anymore. Isn't that there's no solving this relationship? And then I know when I went through that, the people who I then found around me, I was like, you know, like arms around them, and they you know, like thank you and like whatever you want to chat about, and we our best mates for this period of time. Right now, we are best mates, So you are you are prepared to have these profound discussions that you wouldn't have necessary if you meet somebody at the footy.
Speaker 2: I reckon one of the reasons why the film works is if that had just been set between two Americans in America, it wouldn't have worked. And I think it's because based off a premise, I think, a premise of the way people think, which is when you're at home and you're in your own kind of world, when something a proposition comes to you, you say why. The first thing is, well, why would I do that? Why would I do that? Whereas when you're overseas, the premise changes to well why wouldn't I do that? I'm here for experiences, so why wouldn't I do that? So therefore the belief, the suspension of disbelief that you need, of how they kind of form it up pretty quickly is okay, because you, like you're saying, you can just have that moment where you go, why wouldn't I do this? I'm over here to do these things, surely if there's a time to do that. It's not back at home where I have to ask why would I do it?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: I just ask why wouldn't I? And it's that complete shift, and that's what I think. You know, if it had been set by two people, two Americans in America, it just would not make any sense. It wouldn't work. It needs to have that extra.
Speaker 1: Level, completely agree. One of my wife's, Bridge's favorite, one of the stories I'd love from her is she was in an Irish pub by herself, chrattling by yourself, and saw Anne at the bar in Dublin and this went I've never seen them done in the bar and it's went up and they chatted and they had a few drinks together and the concord crashed as came on meant to the pub, thankfully, but it was on the news and that kind of came through so that they just chatting about life and wow, I'm sure religion would have come up in it, but yeah, and then death and and she said it was one of the most kind of profound moments I've ever had.
Speaker 2: Because she said, well, why not the one there's a nun there at the bar? Why not? Because that's the funny thing. Like in Australia. If right now that proposition I've seen none at a bar. I go, that's odd, this seems sucks. I'll just move away from this danger. This is clearly a dangerous situation. It's not it's some dangerous situation. My brain will just go this is a trap. It's definitely a trap. There's a nun in a bar.
Speaker 1: I mean, you don't want to get into the habit. I'm sorry. I had to go for it.
Speaker 2: It was full volley too. I was standing at the knit and the tennis ball hit me in the fam America playing tennis. Didn't you see it?
Speaker 1: No? Oh wow. Let's have a listen to one of their conversations Slaine and Jesse and this is uh, this is one of the big discussions they're talking about.
Speaker 7: Love talking seriously here.
Speaker 10: I mean, I always feel this pressure of being a strong and independent ipon of womanhood and not making making look like my whole life is revolving.
Speaker 2: Around some guy.
Speaker 7: But loving someone and being loved means so much to me.
Speaker 10: I always make fun of it and stuff, But isn't everything we're doing in life were to be loved a little more?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 11: Sometimes I dream about being a good father and a good husband, and sometimes it feels really close.
Speaker 6: But then other times it seems silly, like it would ruin my whole life. And it's not just a fear of commitment or that I'm incapable of caring or loving, because I can. It's just that, if I'm totally honest with myself, I think I'd rather die knowing that I was really good at something that I had excelled in some way, and then that I'd just been a nice, caring relationship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's nice. I do this because it kind of shows that Ethan Hulk is not almost doesn't quite believe in the love and the fairy tale, and she de spy everything that she feels society is telling her, which I think is are very real things. Like I think it's even more true today than maybe it was then that she, you know, she feels almost this guilt of actually wanting love and wanting a man in her life and wrestling that being a strong independent woman. But what it does to a degree, because this film doesn't really have any conflict in it, which is like one of the every film you will see will have conflict in it, and the reason they get away with it, it has this amazing ticking clock of this There's a plane that Jesse is getting off and it's never discussed. He won't get on there, and I'm so glad they ain't go down that root of him going no, I'm staying like, yeah, there's a version of Roman comedies we've seen I've done on myself where we're going off to the airport. Now we're not going I'm not getting on the plane. I'm really glad they didn't go down that path. But what it does is it gives you that's the tension. The tension is the fact that we all know and there comes down to that kind of human thing that Richard Link later knows that we're going to be experiencing this kind of this well of emotions withinside of us knowing that what would it be like to meet your soulmate, knowing that you need to get on a plane, and the fact that he can't afford a hotel room and you know she's not particularly well off, means that, you know, we kind of know that it's not a nuption for him to stay. You can't afford hotel room. He's like, he can't stay and he needs to get on that plane. So I think it's a very clever little touch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was also to the fact that again like the bravery, her bravery to say that she almost resents the fact that she wants that traditional sense of love, that traditional kind of falling in love and the romance evide, and then the need for it, like you know, almost like it's a capitulation to have to need that love, and then you kind of expect him to kind of follow along with it, and he goes, no, I'm the one. I'm not too sure, but to go, okay, that's it is actually surprising and it's probably a bit of brave in the riding there, but it's it's not predictable, So okay, I didn't expect him to say that, like you kind of expect to go, well, he seems so romantic. Then that's kind of in congruous to the behavior that we're seeing previously, which is like, I'm a hopeless romantic. Let's get off the train, let's do this. And then when it talks about the future of romance, it's like, don't I don't know. Maybe you know, children are not not good. They might make me, they might make me unhappy, which ethan they will. They will make you unhappy. Trust me, I've got a couple. They're a nightmare. But yeah, it's just it was interesting. There was not It's so dialogue heavy that you expect some of those tropes and you expect some of those guessable moments like he's go I can guess where this is going to go. I can see where this is going to go. There's a predictability that you would expect and it's not there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this spite and nothing's to elevated, you know, nothing's to there's no real quotable lines in this that that at least, you know, maybe people who know before sunrise more than maybe maybe there outlines that it have become famous. I certainly haven't permeated my psyche. There's no you know, you had me at Hello or God off my trone.
Speaker 2: It would have been amazing if you said that.
Speaker 1: That's Polo Express, I think, you know, And there's some tropes in that where they visit they visit a record, or they visit a cemetery, they visit a theme part. There's certain you know, a CD kind of pub that. There's certain places they you know, I feel like I've seen you know, there's yeah, kind of Lost in Translation and Roman Holiday, even the movies that I thought of when I was watching it. You know, there's no scene outstays. It's welcome. There's no big moment where you get sideswiped and you're like, oh shit, this is happening. Like there's you know, there's a version of this movie where it's revealed that Julie Delpy has a boyfriend. You know, there's a version of that. But I'm glad that it just plays out. It's a movie that again there's if you're allowed to wash over you, I think, or the rewards are there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a quiet Sunday film, which is actually, ironically, when I watched it, a quiet Sunday film when you know you don't have two massive expectations on anything. Just watch it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you said, just a lettle wash over you, and you need to pay attention to it. I think it's not something where you can have, you know, be on your phone or have other stuff going on. I think it deserves your attention. There was also the milkshake guy who wrote the poem. I was a little bit disappointed that he didn't come back and say, because the idea was give him a word. Instead it's giving him money, give him a word who write a poem based on that. When he comes back, he's got a beautiful poem and they give him some money. I would have liked it if he came back and said, Okay, I've got a poem. My milkshake brings all the boys to and they're like, you said that one coming as well.
Speaker 2: I didn't see that one coming.
Speaker 1: It wasn't quite the slant of the head. It was a smaller, le, gentle backhand down the line.
Speaker 2: That went just slightly out of the line We're going to go upstairs to have a look at that says just over, just.
Speaker 1: Out fucking hawkey. One of the interesting things about this movie by the way, takes place on my birthday, June sixteen. And what do you know about James Joyce? Not a lot either, do I always feel bad. I don't know more about the great poets and writers. But James Joyce looms large in this movie.
Speaker 2: He was I know, he's a very very famous poet. He was like, you know, up with the Canterbury Tales and that kind.
Speaker 1: Of He's right up there.
Speaker 2: So Sammy Taylor, Coleridge Joyce, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. And I think Ulysses, which is also about takes place on June sixteen over twenty four periods. It runs into June seventeen, and he met on that day his partner Norah Barnacle, great names gripper name Barnacle. James Joyce translated the play by a German writer. I believe his name is Klaus Klaus Von's, son of Gang. That's probably say I apologize on any Germans listening. My handwriting is bad. I'll blame it on that. But that was the name of the piece, and that translates into Before Sunrise Ah. Both involved walking around a single city, Vienna in Before Sunrise and in the book Dublin and Jesse's real name is James, which is of course James Joyce. So looms large, let's get to the end. What were you thinking was going to happen? Fact, before we get to the end, there's that moment they have. It's the most kind of central moment. It is a romantic film. But they do have a point where they discuss fucking in Julie Duppy's words, and it's a fun scene because you can see the torment in Jesse and he's being you know, he's been respectful, like I mean, there's there's a version of this age is really bad.
Speaker 2: He he's a Roman sandal, yeah, he he.
Speaker 1: You know, he's he's horny at this point. I think she is as well. I think I think she makes the good point very mutual. It's mutual, it's absolutely mutual. And she makes a good point, Well, if you're gone and it's going to leave me with all these feelings, I'm not going to feel good about it. He kind of accepts that. Do you think they had sex? Do they have sex?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: You don't think so?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so. There was the big the big question was, well they not do that? And I was like, no, it's because you would have seen a shift, and you wouldn't be asking the question, do you know what I mean? It's like it's like a black hole. You don't look for what's there, look for what's not there, and what's not there is the shift that they would have had had they had sex, there would have been a change in both of them. Like I mean, obviously, he would have just been high fiving himself massively, just going I'm not like Merrick at the zoo. That's what he would have been saying.
Speaker 1: He would have been telling his friends.
Speaker 2: So I think that it's what's what was lacking.
Speaker 1: I took out of it that they did they did, because they do start, you know, rolling around in the grass for one of a better term, getting pretty hot and heavy in the old parlance, and then it cuts to the next morning and they're walking down the street hand in hand. I like that. It's an open question that we don't but let us know. Get on our speak pipe, follow our pages. Did Selene and Jesse fuck, that's what you want to know. Did they have sex? Did they consummate their connection? Maybe we find out in the in future movies, which we'll talk about in a second. Before we get to the end. One of my favorite scenes was in the pub where they go to the pub and we also hear another must all touch from Richard Link. Later we hear other little conversations of people connecting. It just reminds you that these conversations we see people having converts around. Sometimes we eavesdrop, sometimes we don't. You know, most of you don't, but people are having these connections all around us, and sometimes they're trivial and sometimes they're meaningful. I think it's just a nice little touch. And then we kind of we arrive at Selene and Jesse's table and there's a nice little kind of conceit that they're doing of Selene's Selene's idea, I'm going to call my friend to tell her I can't come to make her house or the party or whatever she was going to go. And they pretend they're on the phone, and I want to play in two parts, this is Selene making the phone call to her friend back in Paris. Yeah, let's just have all listen because they are revealing things about themselves, but in a way that is comforting for them.
Speaker 7: I mean, actually I was I was ready to go to the train with him after talking to him a short while. You were so sweet. I couldn't help it. We were in the launch car and you begin to talk about him as a little boy seeing his great grandmother's ghost. I think that's when I fell for him. Just the idea of this little boy with all those beautiful dreams. He trapped me.
Speaker 1: So a lot of this idea that you know. It's first of all, we hear that, you know, there's a confession of love, and also that she kind of fell for him straight away, And yeah, I think it's it's really nice. I do also love as they're talking, particularly when Ethan Hawke. I'm not complaining Ethan Hawk's because then he calls his friend and Julie's I think is very good. She's putting on this dude kind of accent. But I want to play more of Julie Delpy's phone call. It's just an interesting way of as open as that they have been with each other and spoken about all the big things, this is even bigger. They're being more vulnerable. They're actually kind of saying really personal things about how they feel about each other. So this is the next part of that.
Speaker 7: But I'm afraid he's scared of me. You know, I told him the story about the woman that kills her boyfriend and stuff. You must be scared to death. You must be thinking of this many polatief mean woman. I just hope it doesn't feel that way about me, because you know me, I'm the most harmless person. The only person that could really hurt is myself.
Speaker 2: I don't think you're scared of you.
Speaker 6: I think he's crazy about you, really.
Speaker 5: I mean, I've known you a long time, and I got a good feeling you're gonna see him again.
Speaker 7: Who haven't talked about that yet.
Speaker 1: So it's also the first time the idea what we know is an audience, and they even know as characters that there is a there is a ticking clock. Yeah, but they've almost forgotten about it. I think they talked about that we're in our own all the time zone.
Speaker 2: Yeah they've lost it. Yeah, they've lost they're swept up in the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the first reminder that they give themselves that this is ending soon.
Speaker 2: I think that's scene, you know, where they're you know, pretending to call other people on the phone in front of each other.
Speaker 1: I think it.
Speaker 2: Would have been slightly improved this is probably a directorial decision if they used sock puppets, got your peek, gotcha?
Speaker 1: Okay, it's fifteen thirty. I completely agree, And I hope Richie look later listen to this at some point. What I do love I think I went to say before, but maybe I lost my train of thought, pardon the pun. But as they're talking and they're listening to each other because they're doing the old fashioned phone call thing, you know, they're holding your fingers like a phone, and that kind of slowly kind of look changes into they lose their phone shape, and then they kind of remember that they're supposed to be on the phone, so they kind of like they read, kind of straighten their fingers. It's a really lovely acting technique. Another scene that I really loved was the listening scene of the song in the booth where they're looking at each other. I believe Richard Link later played that for the first time to them, like that's the first time they heard that song, and they're looking at each other, but they're they're avoiding each other's gaze, you know, and it's it's a very lovely scene, and it's.
Speaker 2: Forced intimacy as well. Yes, it forced close intimacy.
Speaker 1: Well, the camera stays in there, it's a little loose, it's the one shot, so as the audience, you feel like you're in there as well, and you're kind of trapped in this situation, kind of happily trapped. And then the song continues and we go into like a montage. So it's not a groundbreaking technique, but it's just a point of that, like that idea, it's a good turning point in their relationship to kind of go, okay, they're feeling something a bit deeper now, and then that that feeling does not just exists in the record store, it's gone out with them into Vienna, which I think is it's a really nice technique, which yeah, we've seen done before, probably before Sundrise and after before Sundayrise. Okay, the finals thing, what were you hoping? Do you have any hopes or what do you think was gonna happen at the end.
Speaker 2: It's interesting. So I like the fact that it came full circle and it comes back to a train and it's about now, it's about getting on. The question is do I get on? Not do I get off? So you know that was a full circle kind of thing, and I think that was well played. I kind of had an expectation that it would be a Hollywood film and that she would step off and go, I don't care what tomorrow is, Let's just live today again and again, or some you know shit like that. So the actual final scene was like, oh, okay, that's that's a little bit of a gut punch. That's not how I expected it would end because of the predictability, and that's sort of like it was actually quite brave to do that, and maybe, you know, maybe that's one of the reasons why the film may not have done as well, because people anecdotally would say to the friends, you know, people like closure, they like a beginning, in the middle and an end. That's how we see this things three part acts, you know, we so things stories are very formulaic, and this film doesn't have any conflict. And then it doesn't in the way that you would expect it to end. So there's a couple of things that you know, if you're talking to your friends at a barbecue, do you bring up this film? Do you talk about before sunrise at a barbecue? Maybe not? Maybe not, So maybe it didn't kind of travel anecdotally amongst people, and you know, get more people's eyes on it because of that reason. But it was a brave decision to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And certainly it's found its audience in depending years. But it's the reason perhaps it doesn't become nutting Hill or I mean, and it's also not trying to be as funny as a notting Hill. It's it is more of a comedy drum. It's whimsical in its comedy. Let's have a listen to a bit of the farewell.
Speaker 11: Listen, listen, you know all this bullshit were talking about about singing each other again.
Speaker 2: I don't want to do that. I don't want to do that.
Speaker 11: When you say something, maybe you didn't want to all right, well listen, do you what do you want to do?
Speaker 7: Maybe maybe we should meet here in five years or something?
Speaker 1: All right, all right, five years.
Speaker 7: That's it's like a sociologic How about one year?
Speaker 1: One year?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: How about six months?
Speaker 4: Six months it's.
Speaker 7: Gonna be freezing, Yeah, we come here, we go somewhere else.
Speaker 4: Uh, six months from now last night.
Speaker 11: Last night, six months from last night, which was June sixteenth, So track nine six months from now at six o'clock at night, December December.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, listen, it's a train ride for you. I gotta fly away over here and ship like that. All right, but I'm gonna be.
Speaker 4: Here okay too, all right, and we're not gonna call right, no depressing, yeah, okay, all right.
Speaker 5: All right, the train's going away. Say goodbye bye, goodbye.
Speaker 2: Later.
Speaker 1: I do a lot of the French goodbye and the American goodbye. I mean it works because the chemistry between these two is off the charts. And also that scene. You know, I've certainly been in the situation where I've had to say goodbye to somebody. In fact, you know, with my finished X when she left Australia to go back, that was kind of like, yeah, it was that. It was like, you know, I'll come to Finland and you know, like that was so that was you know, I really I really felt that.
Speaker 2: And likewise, I've had a similar experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think everyone most people would have an experience where yeah, whether it's saying good bye to a family member or you know, jumping on a plane, you know, I mean that think about airports. It is the opening scene of them love actually when it's one of the reunions. It's the opposite of the goodbye. It's usually the welcome backs in that scene. But yeah, very powerful.
Speaker 2: Gives the audience hope but not closure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you can decide again and this I love this weather they do get back together. Now we know that there are sequels, but I do believe the timeline is not necessarily add up to the timeline agreed to in that final scene. So they're going to meet in six months. My impression is based on the fact when the how long the film took to make, and that it's nine years, so in fact, there's.
Speaker 2: A long time to be waiting on Platform nine.
Speaker 1: And my impression is also I think and I don't want any spoilers on this, Please don't contact this because I would love you to come back next season and before before sunset clearly have not seen it. I didn't tell you this because it was a trap. But when you agree to do a trilogy on this show, you've got to complete the trilogy. Luke McGregor has taken took care of Star Wars for.
Speaker 2: Us, So Luke McGregor did a hat your job on Godfather, by the way, so.
Speaker 1: We will come back and talk about maybe next season, hopefully before sunset, and then the season after that will get around to before midnight. I'm fascinated. I'm fascinating to see because it'll be, you know, a different period of your life. And we're talking about this as men who are in their late forties, you know, so maybe before midnight we will even relate to more than.
Speaker 2: So if it's nine years later, that would make it two thousand and four and.
Speaker 1: Then and thirteen three films over eighteen years.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, two thousand and four. I was a fucking mess.
Speaker 1: Page.
Speaker 2: You know what I was like in two thousand and four.
Speaker 1: You were nuts.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what a horrible human being?
Speaker 4: What a mess?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, the abuse. Anyway, looking forward to recanning those stories, mate.
Speaker 1: This podcast comes with homework and you are fucking busy. Congrats on everything, mate, the grapes of mirth, what you have built. We did feel the dreams recently and talking about a building and they will come. What you have built with grapes of mirth from not just like a day on the green style like medians at wineries. And I've done about half a dozen now and they've all been amazing. But now you're doing festivals with them, which is staggering, and you have one coming up. Tell us about that.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 2: Comedy of the Vines is at Heide and Seek Winery in the Gambi, which is about ninety minutes north of Melbourne. And the gamb is a little bit of a hidden gem in the wine world. There's some like really old school, like one hundred and fifty year old wineries out there, but people don't tend to know about it as a wine region. But it's awesome. The game is beautiful.
Speaker 1: It's a little.
Speaker 2: Microclimate area, so it's got beautiful weather. It's got more Sunday days in the Gold Coast, which is unusual for to say something about that in Victoria. People go, you meant Queensland. No, no Victoria, but you mean Queensland. No, It's in Victoria. And so we do a two day festival there, Comedy of the Vines, which is in November eleven and twelve. So if you're listening to this and you know you want to come, then come. If you don't come to the.
Speaker 1: Next one, and if they just google, Grapes of Mirth will follow you on Instagram at a you or Grapes of Mirth you find all the information there. It is fantastic. Also, you have a new podcasts picture to discuss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is basically what we do is we just get a picture and then we discuss it myself and two other comedians to It's interactive. So when you get your podcast, when you load it up, you see the picture that the comedians are discussing, and three of us just have a chat about the picture and another. It goes for like ten to twelve minutes or something like that. So it's a short, shorter form podcast.
Speaker 1: As opposed to this one, which you goes about two hours.
Speaker 2: And this is whene is either the snack you have before or the little trucky you have after. It's the fantail that you have half you've had. You ain't say nothing yet, mate.
Speaker 1: You are one of my great mates, my oldest mate in comedy. As I said in the intro, always up catching up.
Speaker 2: Thank you, it's been a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Let's go smash a pino.
Speaker 2: Pino is not a person, by the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, both stars don't forget and the stars explored its billions of years ago. You're from everything just as roved everything you know start, so don't forget you are stars.
Speaker 1: There. It is another episode if You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet with my great mate Merrick Wats. That was a fun film to watch for the first time, but also to chat with mes about and just to reminisce about not just a film but our own lives and our own travels and our younger years. I hope you enjoyed that. I hope you enjoyed the film and our chat about it. If we miss something, let us know yasny Podcasts at gmail dot com. What I'd rather you do instead of just write an email is put your voice to it. Find our speak part through our page and just record a message like we played earlier. I love hearing the voices, so please do that and you can also if you could, go to iTunes and give us a rating. I recommend five stars, but each of their own whatever you like really five stars, and also leave us a review. This keeps the algorithm moving about and it is much appreciated. So we have one episode left of this season of You Ain't See Nothing Yet. It's been the first season where we've kind of have played a few repeats amongst the season because of having busy touring and also I was in Europe for a month. I was in South Africa for a bit. Obviously, with with I'm a celebrity, so it'll be a shorter gap I think of about I'd say about four weeks. I would say we'll play some favorite repeated episodes and I'll try to get recording some new guests. I'm excited about some of the names we have lined up for next season. But next week on the show, and you ain't see nothing yet to finish off this season. I'm really thrilled to have this guest. It's somebody I've only met a handful of times, but she has become a really think important and entertaining voice in the pop cultural landscape in Australia, particularly when it comes to TV and music. It's Zan row Is going to be joining me and I'm absolutely thrilled. She's a great mate of my great mate me for her so they do it an amazing podcast bang On, which is a huge hit. And yes, she'll be in the studio with me next week for our final episode covering a very funny film going over the comedy. It is John Clee's, Jamie Lee, Curtis, Michael Palin, Kevin Klein. I think you want to ask you for this, you would have guessed it by now. It's a Fish God Wonder.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: We're doing a Fish Good Wonder to finish off the Yasni season. I can't wait. I can't wait to hang up with with Zan and also to do this very funny movie. Saw it in the cinema. I loved it. I've seen it quite a few times, haven't seen it for a while. I want to have us aged. If you have any thoughts that were going to play within that episode, get onto asap and get on our speak pipe, and if you have any questions about the film or thoughts, we will push it to the front of the line. A Fish God Wonder. That's it next week until then, both for now and so we leave old Pete safe and souf and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good night.