Speaker 1: Just before we get started, we'd like to acknowledge and pay respect to Australia's Aboriginal and torrest Rate islander people's. They're the traditional custodians of the lands, the waterways and the skies all across Australia. We thank you for sharing and for caring for the land on which we are able to learn. We pay respects to elders past and present, and we share our friendship and our kindness.
Speaker 2: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast Millennials who want Financial Freedom. Welcome back to a Shop Back Money Diary Monday, where we chat to one of our gorgeous community members and learn about them and their story and what they're doing and where they've been and just ask a whole heap of questions. I feel like I need a new way to introduce these episodes, b because I was about to say I've got a good one, as if I don't always have a good.
Speaker 1: One, as if you don't always use that cat correct. Do you know what, Let's take this offline. You and I straight after this chat, we're going to sit down and write a very sassy very funny new intro, and it's going to apply absolutely no pressure to us in the future because we aren't going to be looking for it.
Speaker 3: I love it alrighty well, let me get into this low key good one our Diaris said. My summarized money diary is that I quit my nine to five job in Diversity and the Inclusion due to hating the office environment and mental health issues, and decided to try work for myself as both a gardener and a sex worker.
Speaker 1: Oh sick, I know.
Speaker 3: Then covid here and I couldn't really do either for most of the lockdowns. I decided to go back to study, and I'm always halfway through a counseling degree and I'm still working casually. I feel like when I had a salary, I was kicking all of my financial goals. I had sixty thousand dollars in savings, hoping to buy a house, investments and emergency fund, et cetera. I still have all of that those things. My savings have gone down a little bit, but now I just don't know how to make my weird, stunted cash flow work for me anymore. I also mainly get paid in cash from learning how to keep track of spending, do my taxes, etc. I would love to seek financial advice, but also just do not make the money. I feel like I would need to justify that.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, No, do you know how many sex worker clients I have money? Dirist, We've got you on the line. I want to talk to you after this. We've got a lot of conversation to have. Great welcome to the show. Thank you for wanting to share your story with us.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, of course, I'm really excited about it. I feel like it sounds like you've got a bit of a kick in the guts having quit your job pre COVID and then gone straight into two roles that arguably need you to be present, and you aren't allowed to do that during COVID. I'm so sorry to hear that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look, the timing wasn't ideal. Yeah, less than I don't regret my decision, like I don't regret leaving my office job. But yes, the timing wasn't so yeah, yeah, what can you do?
Speaker 1: But there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. I would love to know more about you, though, So let's get into the structured questions because I feel like they give us a really good foundation to have a good conversation about your money story. So, money Diarist, can you tell us a little bit about your money story?
Speaker 4: Well? Yeah, like I said, I feel like maybe two years ago is in a really different place to where I am right now. I was feeling incredibly confident and sort of yeah, on my way to financial freedom and just you know, sort of had a system in place and felt really really good about it and that was wonderful. But yeah, as you just summarize, you know, there's a few big life changes in the way I work, and right now I just feel like I've lost all my confidence, like in financial stuff. I mean, I'm still really lucky in that I have a safety now, I still have an emergency fund, I still have some savings, but the idea of like buying a house not happening, not for like five years, I can now, and I just like don't know what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: Feeling a bit lost. Yeah, money, I feel like that's really common though, going from being somebody who was an employee where it feels incredibly structured and your tax is kind of done for you in a way, like there's a lot of things that are automated, so when you go out on your own, you kind of go, what this is much more. I feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew now, is that kind of how you're feeling.
Speaker 4: Totally, like doing my taxes for the first time as well? Was he such like a kick in the guts? Is like I have to pay how much?
Speaker 1: Very much money?
Speaker 4: Because I hadn't like set aside as I was long. Yeah, totally, you know, I just didn't know what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as someone who freelances, my best tip is set aside more than you'll think you need, because then at tax time if you don't use it all, it's like a little bonus that comes back to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Good tip.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if you've listened to all of the Business Bible episodes, but you should go and do that, my friend, because I promise they're super helpful. Like I'm biased, it's my other podcast, but I genuinely know that they would help you in your situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll check them out.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you. Let's move on to the next question. The next question is what do you do for work and how much money do you earn?
Speaker 4: Okay, So yeah, I mean it's been a weird time over the last two years. So in terms of how much I earn, I feel like I can'tently give you a solid number. To be honest, I do keep tracking a spreadsheet going back what I actually do, I should start with. So I'm a gardener part time casually. I do that sort of depending how busy I am with UNI one two days a week. I work with someone else half the time. Half the time. I have my own clients, and I just got into that through my friend. I'm not qualified as such. I have a science degree, but I'm not like a qualified horticultural So my friend was lucky enough to take me under her wingers kind of like an apprentice, and I just learned from her and then got on air tasker, got clients through that through What of mouth?
Speaker 1: Do you enjoy it? That sounds like I really fun, outdoorsy job.
Speaker 4: I love it. I'm a really like active, outdoorsy kind of nature person, so I love it. It's a really physical job, so it can be tough, but yeah, I love it, and I don't know, yeah, it's really therapeutic. It's really nice to be out in sunshine and working with your body, you know, like manual labor. It's like good honest or work. I guess, like I said, it's pretty hard work. Like I feel like I've definitely had to go to the physio a little more than I just because I'm thirty two.
Speaker 3: Alo you're still a baby.
Speaker 4: But my lower backsays otherwise, yeah, you know. So I did that part time, and then my other job is a sex worker, So I'm a full service sex worker. So I work once a week at like an establishment, and then I occasionally to the odd private client. But like it's usually just at the establishment. I prefer that to be honest, even though the money is not as good. You have a receptionist who does your bookings, you're you know, you have security. You know, it's all really structured in that sort of sense. Acual have like that safety in it. It's just much easier instead of doing your own admin and you get a lot of time wasted be private workers to be more frustrating. So I tend to just stick with that. So I do that once a week, and I love that. I've been doing that for three years on and off. COVID obviously couldn't work at all. I do have like a bit of an online thing going. But to be honest, I hate doing that. I don't tend really. Some people love it, and I think it's amazing, like the freedom that it offers. I think that's like, if you can do that, incredible. I just personally, I don't really like being on camera, Like that's not really my thing. I get really self conscious, and I I'm not very savvy with like angles and makeup and stuff like that. You think I would, I should be for the industry, but I'm.
Speaker 1: Just like, this ain't my thing. This is any we tried it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm very much like a one on one in person, you know. I feel like that's where I shine. And so yeah, I mean it brings in a bit of money, but yeah, like it's very much I neglect it. So but I love the in person work. I find that really enjoyable. Again, it's kind of you know, it's manual labor. It's very physical in that regard, but I really enjoy the human element of it. So I'm studying counseling. There's a lot of transferable skills there.
Speaker 1: Absolutely there's a lot of just holding space for people, talking, you know, seeing and being with someone vulnerable and you know, making.
Speaker 4: Them feel good and whatever. So that's I do really enjoy that as well.
Speaker 1: Oh cool, Yeah, perfect question. How did you get into that?
Speaker 4: It's something I'd never.
Speaker 1: Really heard of?
Speaker 4: And then I realized I had a couple of friends who were doing it. Because it's not really an industry here about like unless you know someone in it, I feel like you don't know much about it. I get, Well that was my sense anyway, my experience, And yeah, I just had a friend doing it and that kind of normalized it, I guess, and created like an inn and I asked her about it and then I was kind of like, I'm just gonna try it, and she gave me like a lot of like these are some good places that I've worked, recommend, you know, recommend these places, stay away from these places kind of things. So and yeah, I just went for like the job interview, had to look around.
Speaker 1: And decided it was the thing you wanted to give a crack.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I've only been at the one place because it's been amazing, Like management's amazing. It's a really friendly, warm place. You really looked after this. So I've just sort of stayed there and it's been awesome.
Speaker 3: Great, And I know it's really hard because it has a minute to be whyar for you and you're working two inconsistent jobs. But if we don't ask at least a ballpark salary, I will get so many deem Oh.
Speaker 1: My gosh, yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. What do you make from sex work? And then what do you make is the gardener?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Okay, so from gardening? Okay, if I work once a week, I'd probably earn one hundred and fifty to one hundred and eighty bucks from the day. Okay, like thereabouts from sex work. It's so variable. Yeah, say work once a week, So on a good week, thousand bucks, maybe just over twelve hundred, on a bad week three hundred.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And does it have ebbs and flows like as in obviously, like you're saying good week, bad week, Do not predict those weeks? Or is it just completely unpredictable. Sometimes you go in and it's really busy, and sometimes you go in and no one is coming to visit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's kind of the joke of like the back room, like will it be busy today? I'm manifesting clients. It's very like we always sort of say, oh, January is quite and that's because like everyone's on school holidays or like away. But like December is busy because like everyone's like really festive and people are having like lots of parties or whatever. And then in between, who knows. It's honestly so hard to predict. Honestly, it's so hard. It's so up and down interesting.
Speaker 1: I'm always so pervy because in the finance world, I know that I'm not going to be busy in July because you know, I've actually just had a really busy June as a wrap up for the financial year. So it's actually funny to be like, hey, like what do other industries do, Like what are your busy times? And for me, December ends up being like not so much work, a lot of party, So it kind of makes sense that your industry would pick up that slack. Yes, that's right, you're welcome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I mean, I'm just thinking back to the question how much do you earn? And again for me, I'm just thinking about if I'm at the establishment, so if I'm working privately, it'll be more. Again, for example, so if I get a private client, everyone's different, but I personally charge five fifty for the hour. So if I just get one client for the week, that's an extra five fifty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: I have previously done like a tour with a friend, so we've gone to New Zealand, very exotic.
Speaker 1: How fun.
Speaker 4: It actually was really fun, but we worked our little butts off and didn't get any sleep. But you know, I came back with like, I think it was five grand I came back and that was from like nice a few days of work. So you know, it's kind of like almost you're really at the whim of you neque clients obviously, but obviously if you put more in, you get more out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's kind of really dependent on how much time you allocate to doing the actual physical work. I suppose. It's not like you set it up and it just like plods along. It's such a job that relies on you and your body being present.
Speaker 4: Right, Yes, there's and exactly that's it. If you're sick, there's there's no leave, there's no paid leave. You know, you just that's it. You just have to sit this one out, all right.
Speaker 3: Money.
Speaker 1: Die's next question, because I know I've got so many pavvy questions I want to ask you at the end. But what's currently your big money goal.
Speaker 4: I think it's buying a house with my partner. We both really want to buy a house. Like I said earlier, I had sixty k and I want to get back to that.
Speaker 1: I think, all right, that's a great goal. That sounds like a really good goal. But money doist. You're going to have to be more specific. This is money diaries. People are pervy. That's your savings sitting at right now, right now.
Speaker 4: It's sitting at thirty k right now. It's not like shocking.
Speaker 1: Now, that's yeah, that makes you feel real safe.
Speaker 4: I've got a safety net like it's it's okay. But I want it to be back to sixty k plus because I feel like that's where I'm really actually realistickly getting a house deposit sordered combined with my partner's finances. But yeah, that's sort of where I want to be there and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very cool.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Next question, do you currently have any investments?
Speaker 4: Yes, I've got a bunch of stuff. So I have spaceship, i have rate setter. Oh, I've got bitcoin. Oh, my brother's really into it, so I've got some bitcoin, don't I don't really understand it. But I've got it fair and I've got some shares like I was like an early investor and I bought some shares and some.
Speaker 1: Companies exciting, And how much do you have of those things? Are we talking?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: You have an investment portfolio of twenty million dollars two hundred dollars like I'm on my friends.
Speaker 4: Okay, sorry, okay, I've got about three thousand in shares. Yeah, my spaceship's really gone in the back.
Speaker 3: The market right now.
Speaker 1: That's the market, my friend. Everybody's spaceship is down, everybody's investment folios down.
Speaker 4: But yeah, so I think I've got about eight thousand in my spaceship, and I've got in rate Setter, which is a peer to peer learning platform. I've got at the moment two and a half thousand. I think you're.
Speaker 3: Doing pretty well. It's like a nice little across all those platforms.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and bitweight the bitcoin in my bitcoin, I have five thousand. Maybe nice?
Speaker 1: All right, Next question money, Darius. You're obviously very good in investments, but do you have any debts?
Speaker 4: No, I have hextet, I have a lot of hextet, but I've never had a credit card. I'm too afraid of credit cards.
Speaker 3: That's fair, that's not the worst fear in the world to have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just feel like I would stuf it up. So yeah, I have no debts.
Speaker 1: Exciting, all right. Next question, obviously, if you have no debts, I think you make some pretty good money decisions. So do you use shop back?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yes, I heard about it here and I've got it, you know what. I think it's great. The only problem is I don't do that much online shopping.
Speaker 1: That's okay, But when you do, are you making sure that you're making the most of it.
Speaker 4: I forget sometimes, but I try.
Speaker 3: I try my hardest, that's all right. That's all you can do. Have the little notification thing up the top. That's what I do. So it always says, do you want to use this? And I'm like, yes, thank you so much, totally. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Next question, giving you a good shot back user, I want to know about your other best money habits. So what do you think your best money habit is?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think old me set me up really well for now me. So, you know, like with all those investments, like I had those going ages ago, I had them all on auto debit like I had a system where everything was just auto debiting, in which I had to stop that, but I'm thankful for that. I put money into my super because again, you know, I stopped having a salary, so I still have that going. I put an ordo into my super, which future me will be very pleased about. So I know that I think long term, and I know that that, you know, I'm always trying to sort of set myself up for the future and think about that, even though I've had to pause some of those things with COVID and you know, like fluctuating income, but I think that's probably pretty good. And not having a credit card, I think that's that's probably pretty good because I am quite impulsive. When I do online shopping, it's quite impulsive. So I think not having that is a good barrier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like recognizing, like knowing that you're the kind of person like, oh, I probably wouldn't trust myself with that. Like I feel like that's really good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, those probably my best habits. I'd say.
Speaker 1: Next question is the exact opposite, my friend, what is your worst money habit?
Speaker 4: I am impulsive, so like if I want something, I'll just.
Speaker 1: Like buit it straight away.
Speaker 4: I'll just be like I deserve this, Okay, so.
Speaker 3: You deserve that.
Speaker 1: But also, why do you think you are impulsive? Like do you have an impulsive type of personality or do you think that spending is just an area that you're impulsive? I want to know more.
Speaker 4: I'm an aries. So when we're going to blame.
Speaker 1: Our star signs, now are we?
Speaker 4: I mean yeah, I don't know. I just think when I get an idea, I get excited and I just want to go with it. So I think that's sort of part of it. Yeah, I just get excited like quickly and easily. I think that can translate into like poor spending sometimes. I think my other poor habits are Yeah, I mean like, you know, changing drastically my career and financial situation without really implementing any kind of new system and just letting it kind of trail off to the distance and not restrategizing, you know, not really taking the time to sit down and like, do a budget? Have a budget? Like I don't. I just haven't. I just can't face it. I'm just like it's too overwhelming. And it's been like that for two years, you know.
Speaker 3: Because your income is variable.
Speaker 4: Because it's variable because I didn't have an income for ages. Yeah, it's just like overwhelming and I just didn't want to deal with it, so just being like I'll deal with this later, but then like never dealing with it. So I think that's probably a pretty bad habit, like not facing reality.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's good to be self aware, and I mean, you're an aries, so.
Speaker 4: Don't hold it against me.
Speaker 1: I'm a cancer, so like, don't hold that against me. But I think that plays into a lot about my personality. Guys. We'll move on from there though. Last question before we get to go into a few more perfect questions after the break money doors. What grade would you give yourself if we forced you to give your money habits a grade right now? Six oh six? Yeah, six out of ten? Ten, six out of ten? Why are six out of ten?
Speaker 4: I think past me has set me up so I'm like above average, but now me is just not thinking things through and so that's the like why I'm not higher. I don't know, just like I just feel like I'm just coasting, you know, Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 3: What six out of ten is a d if you go for like sixty percent, does that feel low to you? When we change it? Over to the normal letter grate.
Speaker 4: It does, but that's how I feel like emotionally about it, Like I feel emotionally like low about my Like I feel.
Speaker 1: A little bit flat. We're talking about this before we started recording. You're like, yeah, I'm exhausted, I'm flat. I feel like I don't have a lot of direction at the moment, which is a really not great place to be in because direction is what kind of gives us a lot of motivation and makes us feel like we're achieving things. And I think you just need a little bit more clarity around what that means, and you might feel not like a d I reckon, you're doing pretty well. I mean to have that amount of savings, and like you're working for yourself, and it sounds like you're working a job that you thrive in, but probably need to do a little bit more self caring. I think you're doing pretty well, but I'm never going to tell someone to change their grade as long as they're like, oh, that's why and that's how, And I reckon I could do better. All right, So let's head to a break and straight after I've got a few PERVIY questions for you, all right, Money darist. I want to come back into this by asking about self care. So you have two very physically demanding jobs, or would I assume to be physically demanding jobs. You're a gardener and a sex worker. How are you looking after yourself mentally and physically and making sure that you can be and bring the best person to work every day when you turn up?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's hard sometimes, I mean physically speaking, I haven't done much of it lately, but I do love a bit of like yoga, going to the gym, that kind of thing, you know, I think, like stretching my body and releasing energy in that sort of gym way. I find, yeah, really therapeutic. I love like just getting sweaty, like out of breath at the gym and pumping on and that kind of thing makes me feel really good. I love going for long walks in nature. That is something I do every day and I find really therapeutic and relaxing. And I watch a lot of TV. To be honest, it's pretty bad actually, but it's it's something I do that I find very self soothing. I've just finished season four of Selling Sunset. I don't know if you've seen.
Speaker 1: I'm obsessed with that in the office.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. So just you know, trash TV, that kind of thing. I have a beautiful, incredible support network of friends. I'm so lucky. I adore my friends. I've yet really tiny group of friends that I you know, yeah, talk on the phone, see in person, you know whatever, all those social things. So that's yes, super important to me. I have an incredible supportive partner as well, so you know, I'll debrief if they're after work whatever, you know, all that sort of stuff. And I have an amazing physio.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, yes, really important. Physical care is just as important.
Speaker 4: I love my physio. He's a legend and he really has changed my life, like you know, physically speaking, because I get a lot of eggs and pains, and yeah, this really helped me. And I love having like a hot bath, you know, all your sort of cliche self care things. I suppose I love them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fair, I think we all love that. So they sound exactly the same or very similar to any other job just making sure that you're not getting burnt out, do you find that, because you know, I'm very lucky in that the job I have been, I guess you could call it like Jess, would you say it's desk based, like I'm always out and about, but like if I'm having a bit of a flat day where I just I'm like, you know what, I don't really want to see clients or do anything. I would just plot along and get my emails done or do some admin. Do you get those days or is it always go, go go, really physical.
Speaker 4: I can't really be like go go every single day. It's the nature of the work is that I live really could not work five days a week like I mean some people do. I couldn't do it. It's not possible for me. And I'm studying as well, So I think I work two to three days a week and then the other days of studying, and that for me, that variety is really helpful and that helps me balance it all out because I do have a tendency, like I said before, to get excited and like I'm impulsive, and I think in the past I have sometimes worked like four days or five days a week and I have gotten burnt out, and so I know that it's actually just not I'm at this point where I'm like, it's just I can't do that. It's not worth it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, A thousand percent, and actually you saying it's not worth it reminds you of something that I read out in your intro, which was you were talking about, you know, being a little bit unsure of your financial position because it's changed so drastically in the last few years, and wanting to talk to an advisor, but not feeling like it was worth it. And I want to unpack this because this is something we all and this is such a good question. Yes, yeah, we talk about this in our office a lot. So I want to hear from you what you particularly feel like you need help with, and then why you feel like it's not worth it, because if I think is a great broader conversation to have with our community.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I think they're not worth It is like I don't earn enough money to be worthwhile of like a professional expertise. I don't know, Like I guess it's a self worth thing, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was about to say that's such a self worth thing, because at the end of the day, I'm gonna ask a really perfect question, would you pay for the advice?
Speaker 4: Oh? It just seems like financial advisors are for the already really wealthy or you know, like that's the outlook, or like that's the no.
Speaker 1: No, there are different like there are financial advisors who work with people on Centerlink. Like it is not as though we are all ultra high net wealth, Like I do a fairvoit of that because I do specialize in inheritance, because that's what you know. My community has slowly over time grown into asking for from me, which I'm very grateful for. I also have a really big amount of sex worker clients, which I think will surprise a lot of people because I just I don't know. Some people are like, oh, Victoria, it's just a bit of a proud and I'm like, no, I'm not, let's get into it. But I just feel like it's such an underrepresented community of people who need the advice and can absolutely thrive. And I find that my clients, who you know, might not have had the clarity, which is where I think you're sitting right now, who don't have the clarity, once they have it, and I can be like, all right, I'm on your team. Let's do ABCD, E and F and you're going to feel much more passionate. They end up working more because they feel like they have that clarity around what they're working towards, Like they know that if they do another day, or they do another shift, or you know, they take on an extra client, they can really see how that benefits them instead of seeing it the way you were articulating it before, which was like, oh, yeah, like if I do another client, it might be like five hundred and fifty dollars. Like that mindset, from my perspective, really needs to shift from five hundred and fifty dollars to step closer to my goal, and here are my goals, and I'm so clear on what I'm trying to achieve and what I'm trying to work towards, regardless of what it is. Like that goal might be getting that sixty thousand dollars back in your savings, or it might be an investment goal, or it might be a taxable income by the end of a financial year, Like it doesn't actually matter what it is, but you need to have some really clear goals so that you can work towards them. Because your job, as I was saying before, is so much more physically demanding than a lot of people's, and it's so much easier to get burnt out and feel like, oh my god, I'm exhausted. But you kind of get a different lease on life in a way when you're like, no, this is for me. I'm seeing this client because I want to get closer to my goals, as opposed to seeing a client because you're like, oh I should it's cash Like, we don't want to have that mentality. Regardless of what your job is.
Speaker 3: Yes, if you were to talk to and adviser, what area specifically is it that you were looking for clarityon. Is it managing your variable inn come? Is it solidifying those goals? What is it that you really feel like you need help with.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think it's saw those things. It's like, yeah, having a system set up for variable income because in the past, I just had a set salary, so it was so easy to have everything automated because I knew exactly what was coming in so I could portion it all, you know, bit to this, bit to that. You know, I can't do that now, So having a system that makes fluctuating cash flow makes sense to me. And then also, just as you said, solidifying clarifying those goals because having those savings back is is probably the key one. But I don't think about that when I work anymore. It's just like yeah, and I think as well, because I'm halfway through studying, I'm like, oh, well, in two years, I'll probably be like a counselor and I'll have another job by then, So like maybe I just wait two year or two years, but I like, you know, that's actually a really long time away, and.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and you could achieve so much in two years is like look what some of our other money dirests have done in like twelve months or even eighteen months. Like if you can have that same power, like, you can achieve so much, and I think it's so exciting. But I definitely think you're someone who either should have like a money coach or a money like a financial advisor or something to like help you find that clarity. But I also think you need to look at your cash flow system. I'm a bit biased, obviously, but I am going to give you my budgeting cash flow masterclass because I genuinely think that that clarity of a banking system where everything comes in and you can deduct things and put tax to here and put a goal to here, and then like know what you're spending on your food, your fuel, and your fun like I genuinely think that having a good cash flow structure creates motivation. I know that it sounds silly and know that it can be like, oh, really admin heavy, but I promise you that level of clarity is going to give you a lot of motivation. I know it because it's happened a million times with everyone of my other.
Speaker 4: Guid ver And I think just to touch on, like because I feel like I have to, Like I think being in the sex work industry, like seeking financial advice, like there is so much stick my like in certain bubbles. It's you know, my friends all know what I do and I'm really open, but I still feel weird about contacting like an accountant also or you know, someone in the industry, because I don't know how they're going to react to me or what.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean, Like say that's the case. Yeah that's so terrible.
Speaker 4: Yeah it sucks, but like that's just you know, like it's still really heavily stigmatized and like you know, it's only just been deg criminalized, right, Like that's all yeally new. So it's just like, you know, general attitudes to sex work are still really archaic, and like you know, terrible, So it's like a tricky thing as well to manage.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry that's the case. But if anybody is listening to this and they are worried about seeking financial advice, please just go through our shehes on the money website. Like I have a matching form. I would never say, like clearly say hey, I'm a sex work and I'm looking for an advisor that is really good with that, I wouldn't work with people who aren't like sex work is a job. In fact, it is a job where I think we need to put a fair bit more emphasis on investing and saving and creating a financial future young, because it's kind of one of those jobs that you can grow out of. It's a job where a lot of sex workers, as they get a bit older and their life changes, they go, oh, look, I don't really want to do this once I have kids, Or you might go, oh, I don't want to do this once I finish union and I become a counselor, or I don't want to do this at this point. But you're also making a lot of money, so you need to kind of make hay while the sun is shining, and so it's kind of like being a social media or influencer in a way, like you don't know when you're going to stop or how long this is going on, because today you're like, yeah, I'm doing this. One day you might wake up and go, I can't be bothered with this anymore, Like it's way too physical for me to do. So I think it's an interesting space, but I'm honestly, I'm so sorry that you feel like somebody would judge you for the way that you're making an income. Like I think it's so cool that you're a little hustler and you're like, no, I make income like this and I'm completely in control of my situation, Like that's sick. And sex workers are some of the coolest people I've ever met, I think because they all usually have some kind of underlying worry that they'll be judged. That they're so open and honest and kind, like they're not the people to judge you. So no, some of my best friends are sex workers. Yes, you met one of them on the weekend my engagement party. But also some of my best clients are also sex workers.
Speaker 4: It's an incredible community. I won't dispute that. The other thing as well, like just to touch on I guess is that I feel like it does kind of wharp your perspective a little bit when you're given a chunk of cash instantly for the work that you've done and then going to say, like a job. Something about that. It's like part of me is like, oh, I should go get like an office job, or like I get a job, like part time office job. But then there's something very alluring about giving a chunk of cash and it's a weird thing, you know.
Speaker 1: No, I've totally heard that from a number of people before, where you know you're in a situation where you're essentially making or you can be making what anybody else might be in a week in a couple of hours. Yeah, and you go the financial freedom and the life freedom associated with that. Why would I see it at a desk when I can just do that and I'm okay to do that, And that's obviously not a job for everybody, and not everybody is comfortable with it, and that is totally okay. We should still respect it. But I can see why if you've done that before, you're like, why would I go and spend forty hours of my week slaving away for somebody else when I can make that in three.
Speaker 4: Hours, totally, and especially like for me personally, like I mentioned, like I've struggled with mental health issues in the past, So if I can choose to work one or two days a week as opposed to five, then that's definitely an option that I, you know, I've taken and I love that that gives that flexibility and freedom. It's amazing. It affords that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, incredible, And if anyone is in a situation like you where they're dealing with variable income, we have actually done a full episode on budgeting for variable income. And just to go back to that financial advisor thing, it's absolutely worth you seeing an advisor if it's something that's worth it to you. And the thing that we talk about a lot is that there's a big investment when you see an advisor, Right, you're going to be up generally for a couple of thousand dollars because there's a lot involved in that, depending on obviously the nature of advice.
Speaker 1: That you need.
Speaker 3: But if you're in a position where you're prepared to pay that, you're worthy of their time. But for those people who aren't, and for people who maybe they're like, oh, I am just struggling a little bit with my budget. There are so many resources out there that allow you to get on top of that by yourself, and so don't feel like you have to go see somebody, because there's a good chance that you can get on top of it on your own with some of the things that are out there. So I'd highly recommend that episode to anyone who wants to hear it. And then my last question for you before we go, because I'm conscious of your time. We know that you're working towards your degree, and I just wanted to ask do you feel like your approach to things is going to change once you have that degree? Is your plan to step out of the work that you're doing currently into full time counseling. Are you planning on juggling at all? Do you feel like you're in a little bit of a holding pattern now because you said before you know you think that things might shift a little bit once that happens, and that you want to make the most on the time between now and then. So how do you see that change happening and what adjustments do you think you'll make.
Speaker 4: As a result. Yeah, I actually am not sure, and it's something that I think about all the time. Yeah, because I actually don't know if, even once I get my degree, if I do want to work five days a week in the exact same job every single day. And whilst I don't see myself being a gardener or sex worker forever, for now, it's it's good, you know. And so maybe I do work three days as a counselor one has sex or one as a gardener. Maybe I still keep doing that, you know, I'm not really sure at this point. I just I've realized over the last few years. Yeah, I love variety. I love mixing things up. I don't like sitting in a desk every day, and I don't like office environments generally speaking. I don't really like having a boss. I like being my own boss. So I'm not there yet. I don't know what working as a counselor like looks like day to day. I you know, I think my long term goal, my like, you know, five to ten year goal, is to set up my own practice, like that is kind of my dream long term. But again that's yeah, five to ten years down the track. But until then, I'm probably going to go for a variety.
Speaker 3: I think I love that like more people taking the non conventional road please, because you know what, You're here to live, not to work, in my opinion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's it exactly.
Speaker 1: I love it. Well, thank you so much for spending the time time with us today. We are really grateful for it, and I hope that you didn't feel like we were hard to talk. Do I promise we're non judgment or finance people. No, but as always I do think that's all we have time for today, except Jess, you probably should wrap it and let everybody know that I am legitimate, so take it away.
Speaker 3: Yes, the advice shared on shees on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. Shees on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or a financial decision.
Speaker 1: And we promise.
Speaker 3: Victoria Divine is an authorized representative of Infocused Securities Australia Proprietary Limited ABN four seven oh nine seven seven nine seven four nine AFSL two three six five two three