Speaker 1: Come on, hello everybody, my girls, Hello, have you Wednesday?
Speaker 2: What a time to be alive. Well, it's not technically not for me. In my community.
Speaker 3: Today we've been struck it down again from the biggest power in Vatican, the Vatican City, the Pope today.
Speaker 2: Have you heard some devastating you haven't seen it yet? What happens?
Speaker 3: Sorry, Mitch, Yeah, the Pope today has been found in a second secret recording to have used a slur against gay people. I'm a gay man. This is the second time he said for I'll get ginny the Pope, which is a slur.
Speaker 1: It's a terrible slur, but when you say it in Italian, it just kind of sounds like a lovely pastors.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a dish. You can get it, Toddy also, because.
Speaker 4: That's what I was thinking. It sounds like fetaccini with friend.
Speaker 1: No, it's a very very hateful slur that people would use against gay people, and it starts with the letter F.
Speaker 4: What you can read between the lines, we probably can't.
Speaker 5: I thought frocini was the slur in Italian and I was like, no, it is.
Speaker 4: It is how you say that word in Italian. Wow, my guy got it.
Speaker 3: You are homophobic and you were undulingo trying to learn Italian.
Speaker 2: This is a word that would potentially pop up.
Speaker 3: I'm just devastated because he was meant to be woke pope.
Speaker 5: But he cares that he's caught out or do you think anyone tells him, Hey, there's been some broken news, Pope.
Speaker 1: But also the Pope is supposedly infallible, so he can't be wrong. So unfortunately that's that doesn't bode well for you, doesn't.
Speaker 2: Man who scolds the pope?
Speaker 4: God?
Speaker 2: Well, God doesn't care about the froggis she does. Unfortunately, all the frog is out there.
Speaker 4: I love you all, and we love you here at the pickup. That's all that matters. Look, coming up, I've got a very.
Speaker 1: Look something that's very very important to me, important to my family, and we've been speaking about this on the up over the last little bit. But something that we have been touching on has made a real difference to a lot of you, and that's something we're gonna share next.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's your special laws. Yeah, Prady, we're going to get to that next.
Speaker 2: Here at the pick up.
Speaker 3: Around Australia, we go to the pickup delicially tut us out.
Speaker 1: At the Pope back after this, everyone, this is a really special one for me. So if you're listening to the show a couple of weeks ago, I shared that my stepdad, Neil, is currently going through palliative care and that's because he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. It has been it's been eight years now since he was diagnosed, and it's been such a journey and we're at the tail end of that. This is a discussion we had on the show a couple of weeks back. By the time we found out about it as a family, it was already stage four prostate cancer. And he's young, he's sixty five. The reason why I wanted to talk about this is because if us speaking about it and saying, like, speak to your dad's about getting his prostate checked, speak to your husband about it, if that saves one family from going through what our family is going through, and this conversation is worthwhile.
Speaker 5: And it was so nice of you to share that, Laura, because I imagine it's not easy, but it's such an important message at the same time.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean for us, Like I didn't just want to share this to update you on what's happening.
Speaker 4: In our household, like in our family tragedies.
Speaker 1: But the reason why I wanted to talk about this is because very often we don't speak about we don't speak about hard topics with our dads, especially especially when it comes to things about prostate cancer. I would I would put money on it that very few people sitting in their cars or wherever you're listening to this right now, have ever caught up their dad and said, hey, dad, when did you last have your PSA tested? When did you last have your prostate checked? Because it's kind of awkward, it's weird, And that has been the most important thing to me is getting this message out that let's stop making it awkward. Let's try and have these conversations with our dads, because it could absolutely save their life and it would mean that, you know, if it stops one family from being in the situation that we currently are with my step dad, then it will have made all of the difference. And it was really vulnerable to have that conversation on a couple of weeks back. But we have received such an outpouring from you guys, from so many listeners who said that they went home that evening they called their dads or they sent them a text. And I'm so grateful to everybody who has done that, and I hope that we can keep spreading the word.
Speaker 2: I did that.
Speaker 3: I text my dad mar Churi, Oh my dad, have you done it? And he was great. He's like, no, it's a blood test now, and I'm like, I don't think it is. And he went called his doctor and he had another check up. Like all because of the conversation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my dad was the same big Tones was like, yes, possum every two years, I've done it.
Speaker 4: And I was like, wow, what are relief? A good dad, you know.
Speaker 1: But also we had the full spectrum. We had some people message in saying that asked their dads. Their dads had never been to go and get a test done. We had some people whose dads were a bit like oh yeah, weird conversation, but you know, thanks sweetheart, thanks Dalin for the for thinking of me.
Speaker 4: I've just went a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 1: But one of those, one of those people, one of those listeners who did have that conversation with their dad was Maddie.
Speaker 4: She gave us a call, Maddie, welcome to the pick up.
Speaker 2: I'm ads, here you go. There are, You're going, We're good.
Speaker 3: So you had this conversation with your dad after hearing Laws talking about her experience.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, So I heard Laws talking about it and I was like, oh, I better give that a call after work. So gave me my bars and was just like, hey, heard this really sad story on the radio, but like just making sure you've had it your checks and hey, I don't know his typo Man New sixties, and he was like, oh, I do want to talk about that, like you know, chip your nose out of it kind of thing. And I was like come on. And my mum, good old mom, piped up and she was like, well, actually, I'm pretty sure you got that blood test form from the doctor like two months ago, and I'm pretty sure it's still sitting on the kitchen counter.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And I was like, well, that's like it's such a typical dad thing. And I was like, well, come on then, Dad, and I actually had a like my own blood test. I didn't get my eye checks, nothing too exciting, and I was like, come on tomorrow morning, I'm going.
Speaker 7: To pick you up.
Speaker 6: We'll go get our blood test on together and then we can go get wrecky because they had to do like a fasting.
Speaker 8: One my dad in a order date for blood tests.
Speaker 6: It's actually really nice means the blood test, but it's a blood test.
Speaker 7: But yeah, yeah, you were good and it forced.
Speaker 6: Him to do it. He got his results. They were all good, which is obviously great needs but it's like, what good is it sitting on the kitchen counter?
Speaker 1: I know, And Maddie when you wrote that in like, I'm so grateful for you sharing that, because I would dare say that there's so many men out there who have received their reminder and like, you know, oh, it's just it's not going to be me, so it's not that important. And then they put it, you know, on the back burner, and then weeks turn into months, months turn into years, and that very much is the situation with my step dad. And I love that now it's something that you're able to talk about with your dad and it doesn't have to be a big deal.
Speaker 4: It's just a blood test.
Speaker 8: But do you know which is another I feel like there's another message in this.
Speaker 5: And I don't even know if you realized you just said it, but you said, hey, have you had it done?
Speaker 8: He was like, oh, I'm not sure don't want to talk about it.
Speaker 5: And then your mom still wasn't even positive that that's what the blood test was.
Speaker 8: She's like, oh, I think you have a referral for that.
Speaker 5: Like the fact that it is just not front and center on anyone's mind is something we also need to realize, like we need to be so proactive with our own health, let alone, like you shouldn't have to look after someone else. But the fact that your mum was like, oh, that's right, Like I think that was something to do with prostate cancer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and soya, men, not up to the women in your life to remind you to get your blood test done. You know, you've got to be an advocate for your own health.
Speaker 2: Go get the tests.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: But you know what, statistically it's just not the case. We know that most men avoid going to the doctors and so and I really I cannot overstress this enough. If you have a dad who you love, if you've got a husband and they're in that age range, like, please go home and have the conversation with them, because yeah, like I would hate for there to be another family in the situation that we're in, and statistically they will be, and there are currently so please speak to your dads, speak to your husbands, speak to your uncles.
Speaker 4: Let's make this a normal conversation.
Speaker 2: Well said, we love your loss. You got to knail too.
Speaker 3: Listen, there's a lady out there in Australia that has deeply offended me and she doesn't even know she's done it. So if you're listening to this, you bumped into meet the beautician this week, I'm coming for you because shocking.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, does it count if someone offends you but doesn't know?
Speaker 2: Well, that's maybe that's the conundrum.
Speaker 3: Maybe you can help me here because I went to get a facial at the putition I go to all the time at tw skin love them when I pay, but they're amazing.
Speaker 1: I love of what a.
Speaker 4: Modern man you are, how you were always like.
Speaker 1: Out of the three of us, Brick goes the most, You go the second most, and I wish I went at least once in a while.
Speaker 8: Which is also a gay man, so he takes a lot of.
Speaker 2: Pride in his I have to actually don't even want to.
Speaker 4: What do you get done?
Speaker 3: I get a lot done. I get microdermabrasion, I get full facials.
Speaker 2: I got.
Speaker 3: A laser done, like I love it. I get it all done. So I was practically glowing. I walked in and had an hour session.
Speaker 2: Amazing. Can't fault them.
Speaker 3: And I'm sitting out in the reception area at the checkout desk and my phone won't pay passed with Apple Pay, like there was a technical error, and the pautician, I don't have the money in my cat and the beautician goes, oh, this happens from time to time. I'm going to go out the back and get the other doungle will reboot it, just like take a seat, chill out. So I'm taking a seat at the entry to the butautician and another lady walks in and she sits down next to me. And you know, when you're at the beautician and you get so excited that you're getting a treatment done. It's very rare that working people can go in and get a facial. So we're both sitting there and she's like, oh my god, Like you know, I'm so excited with this.
Speaker 2: I haven't had one in ages.
Speaker 1: You're the complete opposite to me. I don't I don't talk to people in waiting rooms. You're sitting there making having small talk.
Speaker 2: I bring it up.
Speaker 3: She started talking to me, so I was like, I'll talk back to it. I'm not going to be rude, and I'm waiting to pay him. I'm almost done glowing. I look like a light bulb. And then she's like, have you been here before? I'm like, yeah, I've been here a couple of times. She's like, you were going to love it, and like, honey, looking at you, you look like you need this.
Speaker 2: You look exhausted. You were going to come out feeling incredible, and you already had it. And I just like, I just got the whole.
Speaker 1: Face was like bright because every time you leave a beautician, your face.
Speaker 4: Is always bright red. You look like you're being slapped.
Speaker 2: So that's what I thought.
Speaker 3: I thought I was glowing, and I didn't have the heart to tell her, and I went, oh, yeah, busy week. Then the lady goes fix the Donglo pay pass it.
Speaker 2: I just leave.
Speaker 3: So this lady is just sitting there going she's gone, you should.
Speaker 1: Go back in and have it done again, because I clearly didn't work val beforehand.
Speaker 5: It reminds me of like when I used to go through because I do a lot of skincare, like Laura said, And so after I've had mine done, and I also feel glowy and beautiful, and if I've had my lashes done, maybe I'm like, I'm going sands makeup, not a scaric of makeup, because I'm owning this.
Speaker 4: I look amazing.
Speaker 5: And then without doubt, every time someone will say to me, oh you look sick, you look I'm well, have you been okay?
Speaker 4: Are you okay? Every time I don't wear makeups, someone's like, are you all right? And I'm like, yes, I'm living my dream right now.
Speaker 5: But every single time I don't wear makeup and I think I'm killing it, someone brings me down a notch hat.
Speaker 2: People just don't comment on people's lives, Okay, good.
Speaker 1: If we're talking about beautician things. For me, it's not so much like the other people who go to beautitians. I think beauticians themselves give people insecurities. You'll be laying there, you would have had something else done, like maybe you've just gotten a laser done, and then they'll look at you and they go, oh, you know, next time you come in, we're going to do something about your crow's feet.
Speaker 4: And then you go home and you're like, I didn't even know I.
Speaker 2: Had crows feet, and you're what crow feet?
Speaker 1: Every time you leave the beautician, you have a new insecurity, and then that just like forges you through to the next time you go to the beautician.
Speaker 5: Speaking of I was getting laser hair removal on the downstairs legs and the downstairs Yeah, just the downstairs. And then when I rolled over to do the back of my legs, she goes, oh, we're doing the air and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, what can you see?
Speaker 4: Didn't it that made you say that right now?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you did say the Hollywood the whole of the.
Speaker 2: Plug.
Speaker 4: Everyone's got hair down there, brite, don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: But I was like, wait, it like, at least I wasn't insecure about that boiler right then.
Speaker 3: I am, now, but that means you've got to talk. But you're doing polites. That means that would have been visible hair.
Speaker 1: At least she didn't ask you if you wanted a labbyect to me, Okay, let's just that's enough.
Speaker 2: Has it happened to you? No, sorry, But the way you said that.
Speaker 4: I did it sound like you. When Laura went in to get a crowsbeat down, they're like lab after two kids.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't be surprised or got a haircut, like if you can see the lobby active me, that's so funny.
Speaker 4: Hey, No, next up, we're talking Sam Fisher.
Speaker 5: He shared a story with us recently and we haven't been able to stop thinking about.
Speaker 4: We all know Sam. We love Sam.
Speaker 3: This song ready said, he's going to bring you. Think someone who can put out this beautiful music is smart. You know he knows exactly what he's doing in his life. Turns out not the case. We'll hear from Sam next on the pickup. A couple of weeks ago, we had good friend of the show on with us, Sam Fisher, Is I mean, can't that man do aside from not get hanged because he tols.
Speaker 2: This a hacking? Sorry, that shocked us. Because he's a smart boy.
Speaker 5: He got scammed big time online and I was surprised. There are some sophisticated scams going around, but this wasn't one of them.
Speaker 4: Have listened.
Speaker 9: Okay, So this was like five pm in the afternoon, I'm in the UK. I get a text saying, hey, did you spend five hundred and forty one dollars and whatever sense at this place in Austin, and I was like, no, no, and it looks so legit, and normally I'm on it. Normally I'm like googling the anonymous phone number to see where it is. I just didn't for some reason because I was in a I was in a songwriting session, I was working. I was like no, And then they sent another text that was did you spend one hundred and whatever dollars in this place in Texas?
Speaker 4: Escalating?
Speaker 9: Now I'm in EXAs, and then it was like call this number and it was like from my bank. And I called and they had the exact same automated voice, and so then I was literally on the phone for like hours and they were like, oh, we know, we need to do security questions.
Speaker 2: And so it was a real person. It was a day is Sam.
Speaker 9: It was a real person, and it was like I spoke to them and they were like, what's your like mother's maiden name, what's your name?
Speaker 2: What's like?
Speaker 3: And you thought you were verifying because the answer, but here's where I should have stopped.
Speaker 9: So I would give an answer, and then I would get a security code and they'd be like can you read me the car? And I was like, yeah, of course, and let me tell you, it was like, oh, that didn't work, so let's try it again, because obviously, like the geo tagging or whatever was like.
Speaker 2: Oh, ping, this is not where Sam is.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and so they got into my online banking and they still fourteen thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Oh got fourteen k My god, that hurts the poor guy.
Speaker 5: Like it's never nice, that realization of like, oh, my god, I got done.
Speaker 4: I don't think if that was me, I reckon I would have done the same thing.
Speaker 2: I actually want.
Speaker 4: On your messages.
Speaker 5: Ever, if you're listening at home, ask you for your banking details and passwords, don't give it to them. I know, but I also think it's so some of them are so good these days. You get those text messages and they're often just waiting for a coincidence. Like I almost got done by Australia Posts, which obviously was an Australia Post but it said you know, you've got to pass or pick up, you've got to put these details in.
Speaker 1: And I was actually waiting for an Australia Post package that day that I was expecting, and so when I logged onto it, it was only that I realized that the URL.
Speaker 4: Looked a little bit off.
Speaker 1: But if I hadn't looked at it, and I hadn't popped up on my phone, I don't think I honestly think I would have gone ahead and been like update my email address and update.
Speaker 4: They would have got me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on thirteen six five.
Speaker 3: The hackers get you because they're getting everyone you talked to, not even oldies like it happens to old people.
Speaker 2: Young.
Speaker 3: I've got friends my age and then mid twenties are getting happy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my nana did get scammed as well. But it was a good one.
Speaker 5: It was one of those ones where it's like if you don't know, it was like, hey, it's like my mum, your daughter, Hey, my phone's not working.
Speaker 8: I can't pay I'm at the shops at the counter right now. My Apple page work. Can you just transferm me one hundred?
Speaker 2: But whatever, it was, Hey, thirteen one six five.
Speaker 4: Hey, Kaylee, what happened to you? Did you get scammed?
Speaker 7: Well, technically it was my boyfriend, but he thought he was doing a nice thing for me. I ride horses, and he thought it would be really cute to buy me shares in a race horse and then we'd like sit down together and watch it race and like how schamp is to get and it was just like a que date thing.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is yeah, he can wash horse racing on the weekend.
Speaker 7: But you liked it too, that's okay. It was something we could do together, and I did think it was cute. I was a little bit like weirded out by it because I'm like, you're buying shares and a race horse, Like are we going there? Like? Anyway, turns out that horse was solely owned and he never bought shares in Oh.
Speaker 4: No much money.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was like one hundred a month. It wasn't a lot because it was meant to be like people like multiple people.
Speaker 2: Own and you get like you had a horse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but also was it a case that the horse started winning and you were like where's my money and then didn't come like at what point did you.
Speaker 7: Ren So we didn't get to there. What we realized was the horse that it said it was owned by a soul person. So we were like going to say.
Speaker 3: You think I've never heard of investing in a horse, Like everyone was on that bitcoin craze, but no.
Speaker 2: One was on the horse investments.
Speaker 3: Actually, it's the up and comer image on thirteen, imagen, did you get scammed?
Speaker 5: Hello?
Speaker 10: I didn't.
Speaker 7: My dad did.
Speaker 2: What happened here?
Speaker 11: He got one of those text messages that told me want an iPhone?
Speaker 2: And I guess he didn't win an iPhone?
Speaker 10: No shocker, I know, crazy, No, So you know, det House gave him all the wrong information. He really shouldn't have U and yeah, no iPhone And a bit of money spend on the credit card makes money?
Speaker 4: Do you lose?
Speaker 11: It was like I think it was like a couple grands, like two three thousand dollars, So it's gonna hurt.
Speaker 4: That's so bad. You feel so silly afterwards too.
Speaker 5: I'm so like on the other extreme now, I'm so worried about being scammed that, like recently I thought I was being scammed by the toll LinkedIn like Lyn's company, and I ignored it for like a year because I was like, oh.
Speaker 8: You're not getting me scammers anyway. I owed thousands of dollars in tolls.
Speaker 3: Apparently it was it was so important to be literate with these things, and.
Speaker 4: It's they're that good. Sometimes it's hard to know which is real and.
Speaker 1: Which is faith and if you're bring any Hockley you're going to prison.
Speaker 4: But for the other reason, abating pay been served like five times and I'm like, scam. I'm not going to the course. Scam debating land taxes all over the place.
Speaker 2: What are your sky online?
Speaker 3: Simple steps to protect yourself online and act now, stay secure, dot gov dot U. It's authorized by the Australian Government. Camera truly very important for everyone.
Speaker 4: No, it really is.
Speaker 3: You think it's just the oldiest, but I mean if Britain, Britney Hockley can be scammed and all right, well that's the end of us today.
Speaker 2: We are done on that note. Here at the pickup, you can podcast the show. If you're just tuning in. You thought, whatever that was, I want more of it.
Speaker 4: I want to hear it again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh just more, maybe just the rest of it.
Speaker 4: They could get a replay on the podcast.
Speaker 2: It's all there. Just search the pick up on our Heeart Radio. See you tomorrow, goodbye, shuts out.