Speaker 1: iHeart Podcasts. You can hear more gold one I four point three podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free iHeart.
Speaker 2: App Got anything good?
Speaker 1: Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast. This is how I'm so excited about that it is happening this Wednesday. That's one of our listeners target audience who is ninety nine at the moment, but turns get this one hundred this Wednesday. So born in nineteen twenty five, Now I think about how just how amazing our line is at the moment. So, you know, yesterday evening, I'm on a video phone call with my dad. He can show me his garden, I can show him the strange weather we've got at the moment of hellstones and then slightly sunny and so, but we can see each other the other side of the world on a phone. There were no phones in nineteen twenty five. There were no TVs. Radio was still starting and come through as an emergent technology. Also born in nineteen twenty five, Paul Newman, Angela Lansbury, Sammy Davis Junior, and Margaret Thatcher. Oh yes, yes it was the movies. Charlie Chaplin was the biggest star in silent movies. It was going to be another couple of years before there were even any talkies. She's lived through the last one hundred years of human history has been the most dramatic. Obviously, You've got the two World Wars, You've got the forties, the fifties, the sixties, seventies, eighties, nineties, noughties. What she's seen is mind blowing. You know, she's gone through it and now chatch ebt. So anyway, the only reason I know about her is because I was speaking to her granddaughter a couple of weeks ago on the show Carly.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Hi Christian, how are you going.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll tell you what. I'm so excited the whole team are, because so she's your grandmother, isn't she? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely so, she's one.
Speaker 1: Hundred yees yeah. And now is she still okay? Because I said a couple of weeks ago you said she listens to the show. If she wants to come in and watch some of the show, we'd love to meet her and say happy birthday. Is she still up for that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, she's looking forward to.
Speaker 1: It now, Tina, who's been speaking to you, one of my team has said that obviously, she is one hundred years old this week, so a hearing isn't too great. Now we have everything quite loud here. I don't want to distress he or anything.
Speaker 2: No, it's going to need to be loud.
Speaker 1: Okay, well that's why I have to have it loud as well. My headphones are at height. Well, would you think she'd be okay to chat to me on the show? I don't want to sort of put too much on her, like she's going to turn up and suddenly it's not at the zoo and we're prodding her and carbon dating her.
Speaker 2: I know she's up for anything. She's yeah, she's always keen, so she's very much looking.
Speaker 1: Forward to it. This is incredible. Now we're going to get her a gift. Okay, are there any areas I mean, she must have had so many gifts to the years. She's one hundred this week. Are there any areas of interest you think she'd like a gift?
Speaker 2: Well, she loves music a lot. I've been asked this question a lot over the last couple of weeks. She's insistent, she needs nothing, she wants nothing, but she loves music. She was a dancer. She yeah, she is just always up for a good time.
Speaker 1: Basically, does she still dance now?
Speaker 2: Oh, she likes too. She's a little bit slower on her feet, but she Yeah, she absolutely loves to take a spin around the dance floor.
Speaker 1: I was googling the other day, what were the big songs of nineteen twenty five? Yeah, and business a different time. You imagine it's crackling through the radio. What you need? What about it? But yes, sir, that's my baby. Man we play this Wednesday for a bat This is a banger in his orchestra. Yes, that's my baby, noir, eat that head shearing?
Speaker 3: Yes, ma'am, we did that.
Speaker 1: Would she like some?
Speaker 2: Oh for sure? Always that's the cake.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, well listen, Carly, we will see you and you're soon to be one hundred year old grandmother this Wednesday. We're all super excited. We see them mean. Lillian excellent the Christian O'Connell show podcast. So Lillian is this lovely lady's name who's coming in on the show this Wednesday? She listens to the show. She's ninety nine. In a moment, she turns one hundred this Wednesday. Anyone ever met at one hundred year old before no, I haven't. Don't believe I have. I'm actually so excited what I just said about all those other people that were also born in nineteen twenty five, like Sammy Davis Junior, Paul Newman, and Margaret Thatcher. They're not around, Kaylen you just said, but just again into a great thought here about other people who are one hundred yees.
Speaker 3: So there would only be like ten, if that many people in the world that are over one hundred right now.
Speaker 1: So when she was boris in more than ten, Maybe there'd be a couple of hundred. Tina is laughing at you over your shoulder. It will just be ten really always. You might have to put them in a house together and make a reality shot, some sort of flat house. Why not zero? You know? Yeah, you must just party. You've lived through so much.
Speaker 3: I was just thinking when she was born, everyone that existed when she was born are no longer here.
Speaker 1: Listen, when she comes in, she doesn't want to hear that kind of chichen about it must be really lonely being you or he makes her dead. Not lonely.
Speaker 4: We're here for her.
Speaker 1: We've got to keep the vibes up. Let me let me look at your calendar. It must be like just back to about a few quick flipping not another one these days and barely out of black Tina? Can we what does Google say? What does the internet say about how many people are over one hundred? Is it nine? Like Kaylen's a million? Can anyone go from I think it's ten people to half a million?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Now I think you're right these days like we're getting up, we're aging older. Half a million people hundred they should all live in their own country. We should just have Oldsville and it just be a country where it's just old people shuffling around and hanging out together.
Speaker 4: Don't believe are the facts that come from you.
Speaker 1: Just clutched a number of it and went ten. Hey, Lellian, you want a ten an Australia. No, I reckon you'd even be over a hundred one hundred year olds here?
Speaker 3: N crazy?
Speaker 1: You get a letter from the Queen there miracle a miracle. Miracle was the Queen from the other side Royal. Before she died, she par one might make a home not missing out a Lillian. That one's a gamer. Shit be funny.
Speaker 3: According to that he's the king is a very busy person writing letters half a million people over one hundred.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why his fingers around. The Christian O'Connell show podcast, one of my listeners turns to one hundred this Wednesday is blowing our minds today, Lillian, she's coming in on the show. We'd like to get her a gift. I need somehow what do you get a one hundred year old At the moment, The most common idea is newspaper from the day she was born. I reckon, she's got sixty copies of newspapers. She must have gone through so many, so many years where that someone's got a newspaper. Newspapers would have looked very different from now. Imagine one from nineteen twenty five, like two pages, so partuicicating. You thought they were about nine to ten one hundred year olds in the world. We found out it's nine hundred. It's estimated at nine hundred and thirty five thousand. There are six thousand, three hundred, one hundred year olds and above in this country alone. A number, isn't it?
Speaker 4: It has this we're living older now, which the science of medicine, we're living old. It's six thousand and three hundred just in Australia, the oldest Australian turned one hundred and twelve two weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Whoa and his name of course ken I am ken I. They sung that too birthday one hundred and twelve on October the fifth. That is incredible. All right, So some ideas then, for what do we get Lilian Christian? She loves music, needs a present? What does are all old people love? Come on? Oh, there's get him out of a time and serenade. Yes, I think he's nearly what she joins that red club. What about concert by candlelight experience.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, they're supposed to be very nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she's not going to be She won't be walking around and stuff like that. Apparently I'm not charging. Of course, her hearing isn't great. You know, there's only so much technology can do. You know, maybe you could trap some speakers to her head from sons or something that's so she can hear a bit easier. Christian, can you imagine Lillian when she first heard radio, Well, she would have, obviously she were them been gathered around the radio like people were all over the world when church was announced the end of the war. She would have probably been heard about that, and then start to maybe when they had the advent of TV scene pictures. Do you mean when not every household had a TV? I remember like a big girl like who in your area had a TV? And then it was like a black just a black and white one. Christian, you could get letters from King Charles and also now the now the pope does the letter right thing too. Oh, Lea's got a lot more to send out. Story to Catholics turning one hundred blood. Yeah, he's from Chicago, so he probably gives them like pizza vouchers and stuff like that. Christian, my grandmother is one hundred and five. Wow, do you know the incredible thing about Lillian who's a hundred this Wednesday? She lives still this by herself.
Speaker 4: You're kidding me?
Speaker 1: Is amazing. He's serious for herself. That's amazing. Christian. My mum is listen to this. She's one hundred and one, still lives in our family home. Mind is as sharp as attached. She's amazing. That's from Leanne. Thank you very much for all the Christian O'Connell show podcast