Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Fromes. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcasts.
Speaker 2: Sweety Mine, we are back. Everything is fat time. I went to the dentist, and my dentists little and she was like, Babes, you gotta stop with the acidic drinks. Like everyone falls into this trap. We drink too much acidity. Lemon water, bad soda water, sparkling water, bad soft drinks, bad coffee, bad, I said, babes. Citrus drinks, orange juice, all that bad, I said, Babes. For me, life is made so sweet knowing I can drink sugar. I don't really want like a little dessert that badly, but every day I need to have a little something sweet in liquid form.
Speaker 1: I'm not doing it.
Speaker 2: So I have to go back to get my tooth gems redone, and I'm freaking out that.
Speaker 1: They're going to be rotted.
Speaker 2: Well, no, like my teeth are fine, but she was just kind of like, your teeth are so good, you need to like make them extra good and like don't have the acid. And I was like, yeah, I'll try. It was like a good two weeks and I was like, I'm so sorry, babe. All I have for me right now is like my liquid consumption. But I will say we are discussing whether or not living in a commune or something we do with friends. I'm talking by a plot of land, build separate houses, share a rumpus room. Does it sound like a fun time? And also breakups in the modern times, you see before you catch someone on the phone, you catch them on a little social media up but.
Speaker 1: Little lipstick on the collar. Yeah yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Fitbits, smart watchers, beware, here we go.
Speaker 1: You're listening to flex and rooms on kator now. Up until I didn't ancestry DNA test about eight years ago. Oh you're over you for a new one. No, you know what. You do it once and they slowly make it better and better. Oh cool, they give you updates and be like you get a notivation like boom, We've got like more specific understanding of what region in this country you're from. Amazing, So I don't know where anyway, Before that period, I didn't really know what was happening with the past people, right, but I figured who were the past people? All the people before me? Oh the other rooms yeah, which, like I'm still wrap my head around the fact that we're here. Because the first ever people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like what like, were than for your service and everyone thanks.
Speaker 1: This is a massive daisy chain. None of you died before we were born.
Speaker 2: Also before the sea levels rose and we could just walk between continents. Imagine if your ancestors didn't stay where they were before the sea levels rose back up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is that what happened? Yeah, my god, there's so much to learn and take in.
Speaker 2: You know about Christopher Columbus anyway, top.
Speaker 1: Okay, anyway, I figured out through my ancestry DNA that I'm thirty three percent Scottish. Thank you, amongst other things. This is all four percent yeah, okay, anyway, this means I have a renewed interest in all things Scottish. The other day, you talk to me about that ring with the love heart.
Speaker 2: What's that clatter like claudeur it's like spelt with d la double dagh.
Speaker 1: You should know. Well, I'm learning. And it's that ring where there's two hands holding a heart and the heart has a crown anyway.
Speaker 2: And you depending which way that heart shaped crown, that heart with crown faces, it determines or signals whether you're single or taken.
Speaker 1: I mean, may I say they ate with that? Yeah, got me thinking about myths, and the biggest myth when it comes to that area of the world, I would say, is a Locknest Monster. We've all heard of the Locknest Monster, perhaps that kept some of us awake at night as small children. How would you describe it for those who haven't heard. Okay, so Locknest Monster is a mythical like quote unquote mythical creature to be found in the Lockness River thing in Scotland. And this monster is like a massive water snake and there's images of it when photos came out as like a black and white image of the Locknest Monster and it's like, first hump is out of the water. It's like a sweevely snake that's half out of the water. Kind of like, yeah, how you imagine a mythical creature that's a snake in the water would look like recently there was a high tech search snake assuming snake. Yeah, but they usually they usually swim across the top like inner side to side motion. But this is going up and up and down, up and down. Incredible. There was a high tech search at Lockness when Nexty that is her nickname, was potentially found like a bit more evidence, and it was about like there's a new sound down there. But as we know with sounds when we saw this sub submarine submersible tragedy, that things can be sound, things can be heard when they're not really there anyway, Sinceuly, what happened is people from all across the world who are obsessed with Locknest Monster came together recently, recently, like a like a month or so ago to try and like find out what's happening. Like, I love that it broad in a check in. It brought all of these people together, and I like how this mystery that has captivated a world of generations brings people all together.
Speaker 2: I like that Specifically, I believe that all mythological creatures are real. If we exist in time with dinosaurs, then surely dragons could exist. It doesn't it's not that much of a stretch of the imagination. If those what do you call those sea animals with the horns, nah, like mermaids, No, nah, somethings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I know what you mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if normals can exist, so a sea animal with a huge horn then can exist. We already have the horses on land, just add a little bit extra. Also, bulls and deers are technically referred to as mythological creatures, but we know they're real because we kicky with them every day. So by that logic, and yes we will use that logic, there's a room for all of it to exist.
Speaker 1: Fairies as well. I saw a story the other day about a commune in New Zealand where I think five mates all put in to buy a block of land and then they've then built four houses that are kind of like townhouses modern terraces because it was cheaper and that's one way that they could afford to get into the housing market. This house is chic. It's chic.
Speaker 2: It's giving view modern mid centuary, clean lines, exposed beings, different woods, pristine.
Speaker 1: It's gorgeous. And what they've done is they also have like a rumpus room that they can all share. It's giving Tim Gerner Hotel vibes. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I do know what you're saying. So this is Was this a particular group of friends that all still had to invent more than a million dollars?
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, this is the one.
Speaker 2: So yes, because I remember, I remember when I initially came across this story I was like, oh, like a cost saving activity. Really cute friends getting to get get well, friends getting together and pulling their money to build a house or share. Come to find out, it's four townhouses squished together and they all as a couple invested a million dollars each. So that's five million dollars, which people said is still cheaper than what they could have made on their own. I don't know, don't live in New Zealand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is curious, isn't it. It got me thinking about communes more gen relay and thinking like, in an ideal world, how close I guess how close you want to live to your relatives is kind of like relative to whether or not you actually like them. Yeah, but I'll never forget when my grandparents died, they had a house that was kind of like it wasn't rundown, but it wasn't like that nice, and it was on like quite a big block of land, and my parents were like seriously considering selling their house to like make a commune with all of my cousins, and they wanted us to live on the thing as well. And I was thinking, like the or at the time, I was like absolutely not, like I don't want to be anywhere in my parents. But now that I'm getting older, I'm seeing the vision and I'm thinking, like, do you reckon? Like I'm thinking with this housing crisis, is there any way that we're going to go down the route of like bringing back in like families all living together? But in Western culture families.
Speaker 2: It's still an expensive practice though it still requires the capital that a lot of people don't have to get it started in order to buy a block of land in Sydney. Oh yeah, no, no, a block of land in Melbourne and then build on that land. How long will that take? And then make a space that's functional for everyone. I feel like the concept is something that could be achieved or conceptualized in a sharehouse environment to really, you know, share responsibilities and to live actually together, not just next to each other. Right, But I feel like this elusive commune concept is harder than it looks because none of us not how to fend for ourselves.
Speaker 1: I know it sounds really fun, though, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Until it's like all the mums are cleaning up after everyone. What is the worst way to be broken up with or to at least find out you're being cheated?
Speaker 1: On.
Speaker 2: We all know the digital age is changing the way that we date, for better and for worse. But I was reading this story in Wired dot com and the articles about all the ways that like virtual stuff is changing when people like have intimate relations. But this one was called the fitbit breakup, and I was like, what does this mean anyway? Strap in because it.
Speaker 1: Is tech time, tech time, text time, It's tech time with flexiproomes on. Cater puts it to the next level. The Fitbit Breakup.
Speaker 2: Ted an anonymous name, and I laughed all the time together. We laughed when I lay on top of him and made our bodies touch as much as possible.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, our noses.
Speaker 2: Our lips, our kneecaps, our palms, our big toes. We laughed when we walked from Tribeca to the Upper East Side to log steps on his fitbit. After three days of eating tearum sew in bed only to find out he wasn't wearing his fitbit.
Speaker 1: For Christmas.
Speaker 2: Ted's mum had given her kids fitbits and connected scales for Christmas. Ted's mom had given her kids fitbits and connected scales. I'd set Ted's scale up for us. He could step on it and given his weight about one hundred and sixty five pounds, it would identify him and send his data to his fitbit profile. And when I stepped on the scale, the technology knew it was me. I'm about one hundred and thirty five pounds. Each person's info was accessible to each other's users of the scale.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool.
Speaker 2: It wasn't all laughs with Ted and this woman, though they'd broken up a couple of times and quickly gotten back together. But after their most recent drunken fight, this reader had texted where dome. The next morning, she woke up wondering what Ted had texted back, but he hadn't texted back. She decided to wigh two or more hours and thought he'd call. But he didn't call. She wasn't going to reach out because he was the one who owed her the apology, so she waited and waited and waited. Hid in text. She rented a movie, hid in text, She rented another movie, hid in text.
Speaker 1: She ordered food.
Speaker 2: She spent all day in her apartment, checking her phone, waiting around for him to text her and apologize.
Speaker 1: He didn't.
Speaker 2: After about ten PM, she turned off her TV. She went to bed and looked at her fitbit watch just you know, like memories vibes anyway, But the number next to her profile read one hundred and twenty six pounds, which is strange because it was logged at nine pm and this is ten pm.
Speaker 1: She's pretty sure that yesterday she weighed.
Speaker 2: One hundred and thirty six pounds, So how is it possible that she had lost ten ten pounds of weight in simply a day or an hour. She imagined it was like a tech issue, but then realize that no, it was the one hundred and twenty six pound woman standing on the scale at Ted's house, in Ted's bed because Ted had.
Speaker 1: Been cheating on her.
Speaker 2: He wasn't going to call because he'd already found her replacement.
Speaker 1: Wait wait, wait, wait wait, why would the chick even bother sitting on the before not like, oh my god, that is horrible. That's a horrible way to find out.
Speaker 2: I know, and a really smart and perceptive way to find out as well. Again, I'd be like, the thing is glitchy, not this woman, she knew better. Oh that's incredible, it's scary times. That was a story by Bree Mortimer for The Wired. There are more digital stories like that. There each worse than the other in the best way possible.
Speaker 1: Read at your own risk. Please now I want to know I f This is a bit of a simple one that I hope everyone listening will play along with at a home Would you rather close your eyes? Would you rather hang around with somebody who is a constant bragger or a constant complainer? This is a great question. Thank you. You might have to plagiarize this, okay.
Speaker 2: For your conversation cards Reflex It's fantastic.
Speaker 1: Reflex flex factory.
Speaker 2: I have a few question clarifying questions, and I hate clarifying questions when I personally pose these. But a complainer not to be confused with someone who is venting or sharing the same thing again and again and again and again. This is someone who is making you aware of a situation that they could fix and won't fix.
Speaker 1: H For me, this one is about someone who will like constantly find so negative that's a complainer. Like we go to a cafe and there's these gorgeous little tiny cupcake with little jelly bean on top, and they'll say, oh, like why jelly beans?
Speaker 2: She should have been m ms literally yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: By this one, low level complaining when you just it's the classic like not all thoughts need to be shpped.
Speaker 2: Yeah, literally literally, and it's a skill you learn with time and with humbling and then with a bragger. My initial thought went to someone who like embellishes a lot when they tell stories, but that's also not we're talking about either. We're talking about someone who was like I wish I could tell this story, but it's not appropriate for a give me an example of a bragger.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm imagining not in my work context. I imagine someone in high school who was hot, but they like had that real like I'm so hot energy and they're like very shit, which is kind.
Speaker 2: Of like, yeah, I can't even I can't even go to a bustop these days because at last my went, like four guys try to ask me out, and it was just like crazy because like I was like not even looking like that good that day.
Speaker 1: But it doesn't even.
Speaker 2: Matter because literally, okay, I personally would rather be friends with the drum wall. Please, I'm gonna say the bragger. Okay, why initially I thought the complainer, but misery loves company, and I really do believe, like even without the woo woo, that like we are all operating on like some kind of default and come some kind of default filter on how we view the world, a default filter for how we process our emotions. And like when you're hanging out with someone whose default is negative, it brings you.
Speaker 1: Down to where they are.
Speaker 2: A negative person really commands a space so quickly. Let's say you walk into you know, you're in a new country, traveling your wide at everything's exciting, like it stinks at the man, even did you consult heat?
Speaker 1: I just want to get ax with my water.
Speaker 2: It's like, okay, but please please. But then the bragger, I can imagine you would have to really stop yourself from wanting to to humble them and just let them have it. Like the bragger is like thinks everyone's everyone's flirting with them. You know, do you think we got Do you think we got in for free because they think I'm cute? No, it says it's free before ten pm and it's eight pm. Babe, that's what's happening. I think the bragger could really like ascend your mentality by just being around them. They're like everything's hot, I'm hot, I'm smart. The world is fun, life's and adventure. It could get annoying, but I think for the best, what do you reckon?
Speaker 1: I agree the only the only other thing about the bragger is like maybe they're It's sometimes when someone's bragging, you can think that it's because they're like trying to make you feel bad, whereas a complainer like often is benign there in their own world. But I would still agree that it's kind of good to be around people who are megalomaniacs in some respect low level narcissist literally, because really, I'd rather have to ask someone to stop bragging than ask someone to stop complaining.
Speaker 2: It has been long debated whether or not it is appropriate and or virtuous to share your most intimate moments online. Your engagement post, you crying in a depressive episode, fights with your mom. We see these things and say thank you for the entertainment. We appreciate you exploiting your most intimate moments, But what does it do to you psychologically? I'm not quite sure. There's this TikTok here Bye, there's this TikTok here by Hot Weird Girl g zero RL that debates that we should not share our most intimate moments online. Do we tend to agree or disagree. Let's see, I don't think.
Speaker 3: Your most intimate moments belong online. This is a very deep Hayter opinion of mine. But whenever I see those videos of like a kid crying because mommy and daddy got divorced, or like my grandma just said goodbye to her sister, did you ask them if you could put what is a very tender and extremely painful moment online for the approval of strangers. Like I don't know if I should be watching this, And I guess it's one thing to put your most tender and intimate.
Speaker 1: Moments online, and.
Speaker 3: I teach it around. I wouldn't, but you can, but like putting third parties in your life, like, oh, you know, I've got my girlfriend a beautiful gift and it reminds her of her dead dad. So I filmed her reaction and I uploaded it. What I think something's are private. I know I shouldn't be watching this, Like we've normalized that a bit too much and it's not cool. Sucks.
Speaker 1: Actually it's giving Kanye buying the hologram of Robert Kardashian for Kim's fortieth Did that happen? Yeah, you saw that. No, it's like a whole thing, Like he like bought this hologram of Rob Kardashian for him to like say, have you birthaty Kim?
Speaker 2: I mean not comparable?
Speaker 1: Okay, did you see the hologram? No body, he was another party. You just know it exists. Yeah, has anybody seen it fully across it? Anyway? I digree.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you I fell off. I've fallen off, and I kind of like it here. I don't know what is going on in any of the moment. What I will say, though, is this is my grap and we're going to look back on it in twenty years time and say authenticity culture did a number on you did a number because while you're here exploiting your base nature, your intimate moments and refusing to process in favor of performing to an imaginary audience of strangers, Like, it's all going to come back to you in a couple of years time. I'm not to say that you can't share or you shouldn't share, but I think like there's a lack of consideration of what we're doing when we do share these moments.
Speaker 1: It's weird. What are you trying to get out of it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: But also what will the implication be to you, like psychologically in a couple of years time. Do you know It's like when you see those get ready with me to break up with my partner videos and you're like, you are you in the room with us right now? You're processing this because I know what I'm seeing, But what are you experiencing that would warrant you making this and putting it out to the world.
Speaker 1: And I think sometimes you don't know when you're doing a post like that. It just feels you just feel like you want to do it for whatever reason.
Speaker 2: Zacobc should be so happy with himself right now, Well, I've changed your physiological response to existing and you like, at one point in time, we had cortisol to tell us when to be fearful, and now we have impulses to post on an app.
Speaker 1: I love it. It's crazy. It's crazy. You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast. For more, tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.