Speaker 1: Good. They welcome to you ain't saying nothing yet? The movie podcast.
Speaker 2: We're our chat to a movie lover, a better classical beloved the movie they haven't seen until now. And today's guest comedian, author, TV presenter, Australian Bloody TV Royalty Julia Morris.
Speaker 1: Do you really think you have a chance against us?
Speaker 3: Mister cowboy?
Speaker 1: Open the pod bay doors.
Speaker 3: Hell, I'll have what she's having.
Speaker 1: It couldn't be happening right, nothing.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt that today's guest Julia Morris is Australian TV Royalty. I have known Juliet for a long time, back when I was making my way up to do the stand up circuit.
Speaker 1: Julia was already.
Speaker 2: A star and I got to hang out with her through my mates Matt and Janey and we had some fun times.
Speaker 1: And then Julie went to the UK and took the UK.
Speaker 2: By storm and then came back and she was always a great comic, but she came back a superstar comic. She has ability to cut through. She has a mainline straight into the funny, like funny is king for me. She reminds me of like Amy Powell and Tina Fey. Will Ferrell where she doesn't fuck around. She goes straight to the funny. She'll do whatever it takes to get to the funny. You go to Logis, and the Logis is one of the toughest rooms in the business. I reckon, I've done it, you know, eight times. As far as presenting, I reckon, I've probably got a fifty percent strike rate. Julia comes out and people stop and the room kind of falls somewhe It's like when Bert used to walk out. Hughesy has a similar feel. Shaw Mchaylith. Julia has that she has cracked up that room so many times. Not only are a jokes funny and beautifully crafted, She's also uses all of her physical abilities to get the laugh, whether it's her dancing or pratfalling. She will do whatever whatever it takes to get laughing. And I know you, Bobby thinking, well that's what comedians do. Don't know what comedians do anything to get the laugh. It's like no, not no. Some comedians will go I do the jokes and I tell the jokes and that's that's it. Julia will We'll do whatever it takes. Julia's taking her comedy to all four Corners of the Globe and the Edinburgh Fringe Festival to South Africa's Votercombe Funny Festival, Montreal is Just for Laughs, and of course all of.
Speaker 1: The Aussie local festivals.
Speaker 2: She won the Herald Angel Aw Order, the two thousand and one Edinburgh Freees Festival and Time Out Magazine's Comedy Perform of the Year in two thousand and four. When she came back to Australia, she.
Speaker 1: Hit the ground running.
Speaker 2: She was appearing in all the TV shows, but it's been more recently as the co host of I'm a Celebrity, Get Me out of Here on Network ten, that Julia has completely gone to a new level. That could have been a pretty perfunctory kind of role, like it's a host of a show. You've got to have thrown to the live bits, thrown to the tape bits and be done with that. Julia has made that role her own. What she has given and added to that her chemistry with doctor Chris Brown Brownie is hilarious. She has gone viral around the world based on her introductions, her throws, her transitions.
Speaker 1: She is just the bees knees. Julia is honest.
Speaker 2: She's a first rate piss taker, she calls a spade a shovel, She's ballsy, She's one of their absolute best. Like I said, she is one of the absolute royals of Australian showbiz.
Speaker 1: And I'm bloody starts to be hanging with her today.
Speaker 3: Hello, I'm Julia Morrison. My three favorite films are Waiting for Guffman, If I May be Blunt, What's wrong with You?
Speaker 4: Bridesmaids Ready che Pot, I Will and Steal, Magnolia's I'll.
Speaker 3: Write a Check. I support art, I just don't have.
Speaker 1: To see it.
Speaker 3: And the movie that I had not seen was Happy Gilmore.
Speaker 5: During high school, I played junior hockey and still hold two league.
Speaker 3: Records most time spent in a penalty box and I was the only guy to ever take off his skate and try to stab somebody.
Speaker 2: Yes, the nobl MTAV fight winner Happy Gilmore maybe Adam Sandler's most fondly revered comedy. Following up his sleeper hit Billy Madison, Sandler's Gilmore was a perfect vessel for his manchild shortview sports loving persona. When Happy Gilmore's grandma is revealed to be a filthy tax dodger and the house is under threat, Happy bumbles upon a few convenient discoveries, the kind we allowed in eighties and nineties comedies, the first being that, despite never having picked up a golf club, Happy discovers he can hit a ball off the tee a remarkable and barely believable distance. When he discovers he can make some fast cash, he enters tournaments under the mentorship of Apollo Creed himself Car Weathers as ex professional chubs. When Happy makes an enemy in the form of the perfectly slimy tour pro Schude McGavin played by Christopher McDonald, Happy's mission becomes way more personal. Add to this Julie Bowen to Modern Family, Virginia Bennett pr love Interest and It's All Happy Times Ahead, directed by Dennis Dugan, who also appears in the film as the tournament director. Written by Tim Herriley and Sam Lee himself with an uncredited pass by Judd Abbatow, Happy Gilmore is much loved, Silly and ridiculous, Julia Morris, have you ever punched on with Larry Amber at a golf pro am?
Speaker 3: I'm not convinced golf is one of my special gifts. I mean, I've got a lot of special gifts, Peter, but golf is not one of them. And I have played tournaments, but really badly and Ambrose where you go off the longest ball. But even then I think I just asked the boys could I throw the ball? That was in the days when you used to use your feminine wiles to entertain.
Speaker 2: I was thinking when I was watching that scene. We'll get to it a bit later, the Bob Barker fight scene. You know it wouldn't it be funny to you punch? I imagine me punching on with Larry MdeR and I think the result would be the same. I think Larryender would kick my ass. Arry's Larry's un like all those covers really cut.
Speaker 3: Like a diamond. Mate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you know what I mean? I know makes me sick.
Speaker 3: It doesn't mean you'd lose.
Speaker 2: No, I'd get a few cheeky ones if I surprised him. Yes, did to be the element of surprise?
Speaker 3: Tap tap tap Hello Laddie.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: You are one of the busiest people in showbiers and for watching the film and for coming to chat to me about it. Why you know you're one of Australia's funniest people. Why Why hadn't had you Gilmore been on your Was it on your radar at all?
Speaker 1: Was it on your radar when it was a release.
Speaker 3: I think when it came out, I would have felt like it was a boys film. I wasn't a big Adam sand La fan until Funny People, Yeah, jud Apatow, and I actually no before Funny People. That's not true in Wedding Singer, anything where he could be a little bit more tender, because I never quite believed all that gruff mister grumpy stuff, and there were so many of those sort of movies where he had that similar character of short views, guy mag school, all that sort of stuff. So I just didn't think it was for me, and it became all the boys around me forever. Anytime you mentioned that movie, oh it's remembered warmly, and you know, it was a big cult movie for I guess guys, there's not that many girls that I have crossbars with who are like, you've got to see this, this is a deal break up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this's probably you know, and I know these days we try not to, you know, generalize about being a boys movie or a girl's movie, but you know, from the terms of we were up with there doesn't seem to be a lot in this movie for women.
Speaker 3: Well, we started a few themes for women. So in the early part of the movie, Julie Bowen's character speaks up and she says she's got some fantastic ideas for yeah, and for golf itself and to get the pr out there and this that the other, and she's kind of He puts his arm around her and asked her just to duck off and get him a Kappa or something. I don't drink.
Speaker 1: She died.
Speaker 3: So we started what could be a frackha between the two of them of how very dare you and and him thinking that Julie Barnes's character likes him, but it never went anywhere. Yeah, so it had loads of moments throughout it felt like they had no consequences. Of these great big moments, fights, people falling out of windows. There was just no consequences. I'm like, maybe I might punch a few people up if I thought there was no consequences. I don't think you're had to say that though anymore.
Speaker 1: No, you are just punch him. Come on, hey, let's come back.
Speaker 2: There's so much to talk about, happy Gilmore and Adam Sandler himself. He's obviously he's come up recently a fair bit. On this podcast. We did Punch Drunk Love with Hamie McDonald, which is one of my favorite films of all time, which was very different film to Happy Gilmore. So I like to discuss about him and the movie itself, and but I want to talk about your three favorite films. Well, two of them are my absolute favorites. Let's start with them. Waiting for Government Time so good.
Speaker 3: Christopher Guest and his's team, Eugene Levy, I mean, Catherine O'Hara, Fred Willard genius from Go to Woe. Somebody said to me, you've got to see this movie. This would have been back in it I think early nineties, and I'd seen Spinal Tap because my mum and dad had that sort of sense of humor. So we've definitely seen Spinal Tap. And because I'd been in musical societies and I'd done local productions in small towns, and it just became there's expressions from the movie that I'm sure I still use today.
Speaker 2: I still often say often when roves around as well, we often use the term well, actually say, I know all.
Speaker 3: The terms say, in fact, I know all the terms so much and just drop my headphones. No, no, I'll just I'll just strike that because I do I know a lot of those terms going in. I mean all time favorish.
Speaker 2: And the whole Uh yeah, I mean the ce Eugene Levy cutting and hoa together obviously seen more recently in Shit's Creek with Our Magic all again together. It's one of the all time endearing comedy partnerships that.
Speaker 3: They definitely, definitely and in watching it without exaggerating, Peter I reckon I would have watched it fifty times. Yeah, And every single time I watch it, I see a different joke or I'll see a joke in the set where I love production like that, where every single person who turns up to their job does a wicked job and all adds to the humor. So there's like multi layers of jokes all hiding in the set every time you go back to it. And one of my all time favorite observations is that how perfect the music is. If there's one thing about amateur musical societies, which I've been in, no amateur musicians. So the musicians that come up often they'll be in between orchestral gigs or something like that, and they come and be part of this local community feeling. So the music is always perfect. And in that production that's exactly what happened, because there was one thing that the musical director was in charge of that he could control. And the music is absolutely dreamy.
Speaker 2: The score is fantastic, and the voice that the voices nobody can really sing particularly well, but that you're the music.
Speaker 1: It's a really good point. Actually I never thought of that.
Speaker 2: The music's always really good, yes, but if it's Parka pose or.
Speaker 1: And they probably can sing. I'm sure they came well Hurricane doing that.
Speaker 3: And sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Fred will travel agents who have never left hand.
Speaker 3: Well, are you thinking what I'm thinking? I think Hollywood is the ultimate goal, but first, who knows, maybe Broadway, I don't know. I mean, the delusion is part of my daily life, so I really, I really connect.
Speaker 2: With it, and I think, you know, I mean this is pre Office, you know The Office, where the idea of characters.
Speaker 1: With you know, delusions of grandeur hadn't you know.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they had been explored, but not like it's become very popular.
Speaker 1: I think post the Office, and I'm kind.
Speaker 3: Of juxtaposed in this ultra suburban setting that we all know so well. So it definitely was that precursor. And loads of those performers, including Sasha Baron Cohen, they all say Christopher Guest and Eugene Levy their original gurus, and that definitely gave that springboard thought of how can you take that that style broader? I mean, I can't tell you how many pitch meetings I would have been to over the years saying it's got a little bit of a waiting for government feeling. They're like, yeah, I'm sure it does. Show me in the writing. You're you can write any feeling you want on the pitch, but show me in the writing.
Speaker 2: You'd love to be a fly on the wall because there's a lot made that a lot of those scenes are ad libs, but I'd love to know. I think when you hear the term ad libbed or improvised, it means it means different things to different productions, in two different actors. Some kind of just maybe use a different word, you know, and they claim, oh, it seem was improvised. I remember watching the Wedding Crashes DVD and it kind of bugged me a little bit that Vince Vaughn went on how much he improvised in these scenes scenes, and I thought could have been a bit shorter and funny, to be honest, but either kind of thought, Hang on, there's a writer who's written this, yes, where I mean, the way Christopher Guest works is a very collaborative approach, even though I think he does get the writing credit on it, but he I'd still love to know how much was him, how much was the actors involved?
Speaker 3: Well, Peter, when you think about those days on set, and they're pretty brutal days when you go to shoot. However, many scenes that you're shooting that day, So knowing actors the way you and I do, they're not necessarily to be trusted for their brevity. So you're either going to have an extremely expensive shoot or you've got the proper bones of your script sorted out. And what I think happens is I say, do you know what. I wouldn't say it like that. I wouldn't say please get me a late, Peter, I'd say no other coffee, but late is my jam or whatever that expression is. I'd probably say it that way, which makes the acting moment feel more real. And I think that's probably the improvising they're talking about, because otherwise, as we know from improvising anything, it goes off in directions that it doesn't need to and the story does need to lead to the next scene, yes, or match with the scene later. So yeah, I imagine that there's still quite strong confines, hence the writer's credit, and then everyone's allowed to get loose because I have also been on sets where you're not allowed to change a word.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sam Johnson was here and he was chatting me about his frustration with a recent production where he was not allowed any kind of agency to kind of have input.
Speaker 3: My drama teacher when I went back to we lived in la for two years towards the end of two thousand and nine, and the acting teacher says, what makes you think you are more gifted than the writer that just got this project up? Just like okay, looking at it like that. Sure, yes, but.
Speaker 2: I think you know, and I've been in a situation where you know, with it today and how to say marriage, I think you bring people in who can help make.
Speaker 1: Your project better, whether it's you know, the pre.
Speaker 2: Production and it's art design and all that, and also actors. I love having actors, particularly comics who can come on and actually add stuff. Darren Gilshen and Phil Lloyd on how to Stay married with We just gold having the Mickey Britain was this gold having her on.
Speaker 3: That's I think the joy of being a writer that's not married to every single word. So oftentimes I'll cross pars with writers who are like, no, it has to be like this. And if I'm delivering something and someone tries to change it, say within a presentation, I am quite married to those words as well. I don't like people changing my work for say a speech or you know, something a little bit longer. But in terms of script, I think, yes, the more brilliant brains on it, it's just going to load it down with yummy stuff and beautiful jokes from everybody's families and you know, lots of really nice, nuanced moments.
Speaker 2: If you have that open minded, strong director who can say, like you can recognize when okay, yeah, no.
Speaker 3: Now we're just changing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah now we're just changing it.
Speaker 2: For changing it purposes you do need when you're improvising, of course you're going to mention it. Then you know it involves utue. You know at least two people in the scene. You know, sometimes there's the's sole those scenes that people can improvise, but you know, you do need you do need to be on the same page in a way or the same you know too. That's why Eugene and Catherine are so great is they're obviously both extraordinarily talented.
Speaker 1: They kind of can read each other.
Speaker 2: That's where I think some people try to improvise with maybe an actor they don't have that chemistry with.
Speaker 3: And get well, here's my suggestion of where the scene should go, and then you take it in a completely different direction. That's difficult. You need to trust that person that they're going to be like, oh, yes, that direction. I think so too.
Speaker 2: And it's also why Christopher Gets I think works with the same cast Investing Show and A Mighty Wind and the others that he did, because they all have this chemistry, they know the process, they trust each other, and.
Speaker 3: They're all quite classically trained actors as well, so they would also be keen on having I find it easier to change something than to write it, so I think they would be very happy to have a more structured place to get to within that scene and then have some fun.
Speaker 1: I remember going to see Bridesmaids.
Speaker 2: In fact took we took all the kids, actually, I'm sure that all the kids.
Speaker 1: Were there and the opening scene, and it.
Speaker 2: Was one of my favorite movie going experiences in all. I'm a big jud Apatol fan. Did he did a secret pass on this one, but early in his career. But this was just I think genius and talk about getting the right cast and the right chemistry together. Melissa McCarthy obviously Roseburn, it cursed. I was Kurston Christien mixed up, not just in Kirstin Wig, but every person or Christian Christian Wig, just genius, spectacular.
Speaker 3: I did the hoykey laugh where you think you're going to cough out party along and it didn't stop. And we were I was with a great made of mine and her teenage daughter, and the teenage daughter was mortified. My mate had to run out to the bathroom halfway through if she was scared she was going to let the balloon go. I mean, we were that sort of all sounded too far, didn't it. And then and then when we got outside, the teenager, you know, gave us a little talking to. You guys are so embarrassing in the theater. Your last was so loud. Yeah, mate, that's kind of what it's about. Yeah, it's a comedy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's because I saw it early.
Speaker 2: It might have been a previous screening and so it was at the RIVERI in Campwelling in Melbourne, and the the cinema was quite full. And to see it a comedy with a pretty much a.
Speaker 1: Full pack cinema. First we have laughter. It was like, this is it. This is what cinema should be all the time.
Speaker 2: And that scene where do you stand on on like human that involves people shooting their pants or dresses.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is a It's not for me, it's not for you.
Speaker 3: But only because I mean I laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed at that scene. But I don't know, just poo poop, I've got a thing. I'm just like, can we not leave that out? I don't know. I mean that scene was out of control.
Speaker 1: I find it the funniest thing in the world.
Speaker 3: Do you and fluffies? I have trouble with fluffies too? Is that some weird sort of like I don't know, like old Catholic thing? Do you reckon?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm Catholic and I find it hilarious.
Speaker 1: So fine because.
Speaker 2: For me, especially when it's adults, because as an adult, you know it's not supposed to happen.
Speaker 1: You know, you're supposed to contri.
Speaker 3: It merely happened to me last week. So everything's going fine. I'm out with a mate, having a walk with the dogs along the beach at the front and having a lovely time chatting or well to go off the stupid walking path onto the grass right along the front there along Brighton Elwood and so on. And then all of a sudden that exactly like the scene in Bridesmaids. I hear glog. I'm like, what's that look? I said to my friend, where is that bathroom? She's like, it's the end of North Road. There's still a little way to go. Oh my god. I thought, oh no, oh no, and then had to imagine me completely closing my bum and cheek was the only way that I could keep the passenger on board. As I walked like someone put a steak down the back of my spine and with sort of like weird squirrel hands, and I made my way. I thought, oh, it's overheated. I'd take layers off. I'm like I'm not going to make it. I was absolutely sure, because.
Speaker 1: When you get closer to the top, your body knows.
Speaker 3: That just never happens to me. Ever, so I had. It wasn't a feeling I recognized, but my god, did I know what was happening. And then and then I got in there and there was somebody in there with a radio on, like I think it's probably best turn up. So that scene maybe is more triggering than hilarious for me.
Speaker 2: Well, I find it obviously hilarious, and I'm sure in time you will too. I do love the idea, and I think I'm supportive of the idea of this blasting a few tunes while you're in the cubicle.
Speaker 3: Well, in years gone by, I would have had to lean over and put my hip out of place to we silently on the on the side of the bowl if somebody was next door. I don't know what anyway, I'm going to really work through that with the psychologist next week.
Speaker 2: I never thought of that, because it's easier, easier for a man to aim for the side.
Speaker 3: You would think, Peter, you would think, so where do we get to We've got off piece, We're horribly off peace.
Speaker 1: But I do love that. I think it's a perfect comedy.
Speaker 2: It's got it's got beautiful heart, it's so funny, it's brilliantly written.
Speaker 3: It's got all these lovely shelves that come back later where you place a little joke quietly in the front, and then you just know it's going to have the most yummy payoff later.
Speaker 2: On John Ham, I mean those scenes, and then Kristen Wig in those scenes where she's putting the makeup on, she's just woken up.
Speaker 3: Oh you gave me a fright.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the whole feeling. But the boob was just.
Speaker 3: Every time I open my fences I drive up to my home, I think of her riding that fans get off that property, and I keep wanting to watch it with my girls. But those the relations scenes are pretty intense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, how old are you girls?
Speaker 3: They're thirteen and fifteen? Not the game, oh please, if they wouldn't have already seen it, I just mean sitting and watching it with me. I don't think we're there. Yeah, we're embarrassing.
Speaker 1: Hopefully it'll be a special time when you when you.
Speaker 3: Get to that routing scenes. I can't wait.
Speaker 1: So I still Magnolias. I love this movie. For those who haven't seen it, tell us about it.
Speaker 3: Well. It is a group of women in a small part of the South in America and they are just getting on with their day to day life and the things that happened to them and their extreme relationships.
Speaker 1: Extraordinary cast, brilliant cast.
Speaker 3: Sally Field as the lead has a monologue towards the end of the movie that is so breathtaking it is equaled only by Tom Hanks performance when he's brought back onto the boat in You're the Captain Now whatever that.
Speaker 1: Movie is called, Kevin Phillips.
Speaker 3: Yeah, remember when he's brought back onto the boat and the doctors are asking him some questions in the infirmary and he is missing. It's just it's heartbreaking, it's They're the two most exquisite scenes in film I think I've ever seen. But Sally Field amazing.
Speaker 1: It is Dolly Partons, MacLean, Yes, Juli Young, Julia.
Speaker 3: Roberts, Julia Roberts, and Darryl Hannah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and yeah, Tom Skerritt.
Speaker 3: A beautiful snapshot into how life was in the early eighties.
Speaker 1: What's a rare.
Speaker 2: Movie as well, because I mean, you know, Shirley, how often you see movies. I'm not sure how they would have been in the mid nineties. I'm guessing this film might have been made.
Speaker 3: I think so, No, that would have been oh maybe yeah, early nineties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, maybe maybe early nineties.
Speaker 2: Sally Field, Dolly partner Shelly MacLean, olimpad carcass like women, you know, like women of you know, even over over forty, which I imagine they were back then.
Speaker 1: And this is extraordinary. It was a beautiful it had been.
Speaker 2: I watched it when it came out and it got to me and I know, and we don't want to spoil what happens at the end, but it is heartbreaking and you're at Sally Field's performance and reaction is just.
Speaker 3: Oh, exactly how you think you would respond and what she would have had to draw up to deliver that acting performance. I think did she not win the Oscar for that? I think she won the Oscar for that sort of she was amazing. They're just but also like, how can you choose three? How can you choose?
Speaker 1: Do you have some apologies?
Speaker 3: Oh? Look, I mean we're hohod you let off. There's sometimes that I'm a great revisitor of films so that they make me feel I don't know if they ease anxiety or what.
Speaker 2: It does not out My wife sent me an article recently because I often comment on how many times she goes back to the American President, and she sent me an article saying exactly that thing. There was research done that we watch old films, and I guess it makes complete sense. Yes, they make us feel comfortable, they ease anxiety.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it'll be revisiting some of the outfits in it. You know, I've seen the shapes of the clothes that I remember as beautiful, or there might be a great performance, or there might be one smile in it, or there'll be something and one. I watch them over and over and over again. That's when I try to I try to look at how that when an actor is looking and doing a piece with another actor is how close can you bring your face to the camera without looking down the barrel? And that's the trick of the movie star. Yes, I think closer we can see the full visage without being a side thing, or you know, get in the full face. That's quite difficult to do without looking like you're looking down the barrel. So I like to see. Kate Blanchett is a genius at it, and you know, anyone we truly love. That's the moment that they give us where they feel like they're looking at us without looking down the barrel. Amazing. So that's sometimes I'll use watching them over and over again, even though I just want you for my own happiness. I use them a bit for work as well well.
Speaker 2: So often when we people are nominating their three movies, they do nominate those films that they just can't if.
Speaker 3: It's on, there's no way. Contemuely, we're not tuning In the Holidays is another one like that. Even though it's daggy sweet romance. Mind you, the girls keep making trying to make me watch scared spooky stuff like Stranger Things or you know, like the Wizards of Waverly Place. Now that's a joke, but I've got no business with scary movies. I'm cha la la. Yeah, And that's it.
Speaker 1: It's whenny we were on.
Speaker 2: We went to Queensland for a holiday recently and we're in a must little villa and my wife and I were bridge. We're out having a wine out outside because it was it's you know, winter in Queensland.
Speaker 1: You can do that.
Speaker 2: We're in shorts and t shirts and my sons were catching up on the late season A Stranger Things, So from the inside all we heard that that series and I haven't watched the last couple of series of it. But it's just the music and the score is just so intense. It's like it's it's most horror movies, you know, horror series have like intense at times.
Speaker 1: This is intense the whole way through Flight Off.
Speaker 3: I'm in flight or Fight the whole time it's on the television. That's me cooking the dinner in the kitchen.
Speaker 2: I assume to get the last and when how many episodes do you have to go? Like this is our holiday? And where Johnny enjoy this? The Tranquil of Queens Marce dropped, Yeah, good times kill me. They did love it. Okay, let's find out why are we here? Ladies and gentlemen happy Gilmore, the Adam Sandler starring film from nineteen ninety six, directed by Doug Duggan and written by Adam Sadler and Tim Harriley, with a pass by Judd Apatow. Julia Morris, Did you enjoy Habby Gilmore.
Speaker 3: I found I did enjoy it. I'm happy that I saw it.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: I didn't have that moment where I'm like, We'll never getting that time back. But I think now fifty four, Peter, I have started to watch movies through a bit of a trauma lens right explain. So I don't know, just I think my empathy look is very heavy. So in watching a movie like this where the main character has aggression issues, he's aggressive to his partner, he is violent, but he still gets what he wants in the end, it is the And I know it was hilarious, hilarious in the nineties to joke about punching people and getting away with it, But I guess you know where a long time moved on from the nineties. And yes, I felt like a few of the themes in the movie I didn't take as lightheartedly as perhaps they'd been recorded.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess it's supposed to be cartoony, isn't it, Like, yeah, it's but and that's how it was accepted in nineteen ninety six and for many years afterwards. I Mean, one of the things I think you kind of refer to outside of the physical violence is the speaker the way he's talking to his girlfriend who has just left him, Yeah, which, you know, good call, and he's kind of, you know, he's what.
Speaker 1: Do you call what do you call it? What's the term is that?
Speaker 3: Is? That?
Speaker 1: Is that nagging?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 1: I don't know all the terms.
Speaker 2: But he's been very kind of He's saying to her, you know, your your ship.
Speaker 1: At your daycare.
Speaker 2: And there's a gag in there that the fingerpainting you brought home was was crap, and that's we understand that joke.
Speaker 1: It's a fun joke.
Speaker 2: But then it's he's coming back. He leaves the speaker phone and he comes back and says, oh, but baby, I love you, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So he's making he's been abusive and then begging for forgiveness straight away and then abusive. I mean that's it is a classic cycle of abuse, yes, and then he sort of there seems to be these moments of violence that he Obviously the character is I get grumpy and I bunch people because that's what I did from when I was a child. So having no parents has never dealt with. The grandmother goes into a nursing home. She loses her house because she hasn't paid her taxes and she's put into a nursing home where she's then abused as in, you know, threatened by a care that works at the retirement village and they're all like working on quilts and making quilts, and he's making all the elderly people work and being nasty to them. But there's no consequences for those actions, or we don't go back and get that guy, which pays off the moment that he guess it's he's just desserts.
Speaker 2: It's super But do you think that Do you think it's a rather you know, progressive comment on the age care system.
Speaker 3: Yes, very much.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I think they were doing, Peter, I think they were having fun. I think he's read in this He's like, let's go onto the golf course in a beautiful spot, let's laugh our asses off. And then every time he would punch someone or do on something physical, the crew would be hacking, and then they'd add it again later. Yeah, I could just kept getting added to like that.
Speaker 2: I think the Adam Sandler business model is to go somewhere beautiful. He's made about five films in Hawaii now basically go there with mates. The grown up series exists because Adam Sandler just wants to hang out with his mates. And we'll get to Adam Sandler specifically soon. Yeah, but the I think the reason is that these things are there, but there's no consequences even for his violent actions. Now if he when he does the you know that he takes the jumper off that the guy and he just you know, smashes him, you know, but he obviously would be banned from that tournament. Like there's so there's as much as they're saying, oh, this happy Gilmoor, we think he's going to go too far.
Speaker 1: No, he's already gone too far.
Speaker 3: I mean on how many levels?
Speaker 1: But they the simple answer is they don't care.
Speaker 3: The smartest girl there has ends up choosing him, So I figure she's a codependent and he's a narcissist.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think that the clear choice they have made it is for silliness, yes, over anything. I mean, even the fact that the way they handle golf. Anyone who knows a little bit about golf can see all the things.
Speaker 3: I was like, would you really be allowed to take a hockey stick onto the course to play? Are you allowed to do that even though the hockey stick actually said golf along the bottom. Did you notice that? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, Chubbs says, this is my old part and.
Speaker 3: What about Chubs? Okay, Chubs and the hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, let's have it listen.
Speaker 2: Let's have a listen of when Happy Gilmore meets poly Creed himself play macarl weathers Chubs.
Speaker 3: Ooh yeah, yeah, bring that shit on. Man. God, I love it. Oh God, I hurt a little bit.
Speaker 1: I'm all right.
Speaker 5: God, So what the hell are you doing? Three hundred and sixty four more days ti next year's hockey trial.
Speaker 1: I got a tough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, Gord, I felt good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, come on, boy, got that out. You're making me sick.
Speaker 6: Hey, so y'all hockey player, Uh huh Yeah, you're gonna give that shit up.
Speaker 1: You're gonna concentrate on golf.
Speaker 5: Who the hell are you? I'm the club pro here, Hubs Peterson, and I'm offering to teach you how to play golf personally for free.
Speaker 1: No, you have no.
Speaker 5: Idea who I am doing. No, I don't.
Speaker 6: Back in nineteen sixty five, Sports Illustrated said I was going to be the next Arnold Palmer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what happened?
Speaker 5: I wouldn't let me play on the pro tour anymore.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry you cause you're black.
Speaker 5: Hell no, damn alligator bit my hand. Oh my god, yeah, turn them down. In Florida, I hooked my ball in the rough down by the lake. Amn delligat who just popped up cut me down in my prime.
Speaker 1: He got me.
Speaker 6: But I told one of that bastard's eyes, I'll go look at that h you're pretty sick, chaps. I have never come in anybody hit that ball half as far as you can.
Speaker 1: You got real talent, kid.
Speaker 3: Oh that's nice here to say. I've been training to be a hockey player my whole life.
Speaker 5: Golf snow different from hockey requires talent.
Speaker 6: Self disc golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass.
Speaker 5: You should talk to my neighbor of the accountant, probably a great coffer, huge assy. I bet your neighbor of the accountant can't drive the ball four hundred yards. Bet your neighbor of the accountant doesn't have a shot.
Speaker 1: Could get on the pro tour?
Speaker 3: And how would I do that?
Speaker 6: You win the open to borrow, you're automatically on the pro tour?
Speaker 1: Then who knows? Maybe you went to a championship one day. Get that gold.
Speaker 5: Jacket, like I never got gold jacket, green jacket. Who gives this ship?
Speaker 6: Yeah, don't worry about that made of wood, it's real sturdy.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's not how golf Tolment's work. Let's let's be honest. Grade doesn't hurt your feelings. Yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 2: When I was in grade four or five, I wrote a book about It's called me the Sports Star, and I was I got to go pay the gais style not blasted. I made old and I was connection, veryless connection. I was playing basketball when I was on holiday in the States and Michael Jordan walked past and he said, that's a kid with telling and he entered me into the game the next day to play for the Boston Celtics against the LA Lakers, which Michael Jordan was playing in. Now it's weird Michaeljohn actually pay for Chicago Bulls. I'm not sure why I was playing for the bust and Celtics on that weekend Christ, but that that's the level that they're dealing with in this in this movie, entered him in the competition.
Speaker 3: Yeah you're just going, yeah, like it's Wimbledon. Where are you going to but you're in one of the opens and then and you can go. Is that right? You're going like a guest, like a.
Speaker 1: Wild card, a wild card.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yeah, he was the wild one though. That's the it's very wild.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about Chubbs. What do you think of Chubs?
Speaker 3: So Chubbs, Well, anything that's carl whether Sels is amazing. I thought it was a It's interesting the the amount of things in the movie that would now not be appreciated. So his wooden hand, so obviously Chubbs gets his hand eaten off by an alligator in an earlier game, and then Adam Sandler accidentally smashes the hand out of his arm and then it gets run over, and then the whole way through the film there's the arms put it back with like half fingers and sticky taped together, and it's just this just feels really oddly disrespectful. I don't know why. Yeah, I mean, I mean, I do know why.
Speaker 2: But it's funny for me because I saw, you know when it came out, Yes, and it was just nothing but funny for me. So it's hard to imagine looking at it with fresh eyes.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, guys, this is unacceptable.
Speaker 2: And there's no I mean, I guess one of the you know, there is a storyline that I was glad that they kind of used it as a storyline with the alligator and Sandler getting kind of you know, killing the alligate, even though it ends up in Chubbs's untimely death.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, everyone kept dying.
Speaker 1: Everyone kept everyone what we never.
Speaker 3: Dealt with de grief or we never I mean, I feel like I'm bringing it right back to not being funny, which may be one of my special gifts. But yes, everyone important to him in his life died, but it wasn't giving him enough motivation to behave and it was just I think that what they did was they wrote it to have some fun, and they did it.
Speaker 2: And I think you set up the culture of your movie, you know, and they set up quite quickly that there's gonna be weird little gaps in logic. So you accept you accept it, and I think that's that's fine. That's not even the criticism, like good on them for for not in a way for at least making that choice and kind of going no.
Speaker 1: This is lives at this leg. Oh absolutely, I mean, and we're going to stick to this level.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you see the opposite happened, where it's silly, silly, silly silly, and they try to tack on. Sometimes you see in stand up comedy shows it's like, we're being silly, We're being silly, and at the end, my dad died.
Speaker 1: What you tried to win an award at the end, that's not where you're supposed to do.
Speaker 3: Where are you going with this? Exactly?
Speaker 2: So in a way, hats off for saying we are going to stick with this being ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Oh and did they?
Speaker 3: But also they literally every single person on camera looked like they were having a ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this movie and he's beloved. It's beloved, isn't he?
Speaker 3: And so it's the.
Speaker 2: Movie and the works I think is he's one of his most beloved films. I think Wedding Singer fifty first Dates might also be in those conversations. Outside of his dramatic turns and funny people, even though that's a quasi you know, dramatic comedy maid.
Speaker 3: Something like forty three million Peter funny people. No happy Gilmore did were right? They paid something like it was it twelve make or twenty four to make something like that. And the profit was out off the scale. Yeah, it did incredibly well.
Speaker 2: And it continue like it continues to find audiences. Are you saying you watched it with your your Oh yes.
Speaker 3: My teenage ladies yea, and yeah they were just kind of like me, yeah, and went off. I was like, ah, lucky ducks, I've gotta watch it to the end. God damn you, I'd have the company. Not only that, you know, it was even worse. I'd already watched half of it, and then the girls like, yeah, we'll watch it with you. They love Adam Sandler. And then they sit down to watch and they leave in like fifteen minutes in. I'm like, come on, I've just watched another fifteen minutes again for them to you went back to its going to go up to my room. I've got some homework to do, as if so have I.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what I thought when I was watching this film was Nick curios. I thought, you know, it was very me baby Gilmoy has a very Nick Curios vibe.
Speaker 3: Mister grumpy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the idea, I like, the idea that can.
Speaker 2: This this guy be good for the sport? And Nick Kerios, you know, has just recently you know, I finished a runner up at Wimbledon, and the whole debate was, you know, every time you watch the well you had these English commentators debating whether he was good for the game, and he had John McEnroe unbelievably kind of come out and go, hey, he's gone too far right without his tongue anywhere near his cheek.
Speaker 3: Well, it kind of if nobody says anything and normalizes that that sort of behavior on the court. And then all of your young tennis players who are coming up through the system, who really are there every Saturday and every Sunday and driving to tournaments, and you know, their parents are putting in the hardyards for this for the kid's love of tennis. I've got a great mate who drives his son all over the place for tennis. And then if this is how you get your point across, and this is what we want to teach to the young players. I mean, I suppose it's either in you or not. You're either that person who blows up or you're not. But I just figure that's got to that's got a shelf life that's sort of blowing up because boring, Yeah, it's like you're slowing stuff down, you're not being very sportsmanlike. Okay, that you know, and I can't help but wonder. And I don't know if this is the case with Nic curious because I don't know enough about him and his family life. But most of the time that sounds like someone who hasn't had any boundaries to me. If you can blow up and still feel okay about it, you're just like you need to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, imagine I'm trying to think the biggest stage for comedy, say maybe you were doing the opening monologue at the Oscars. Can you imagine going out there and being petulant or like or having the confidence to be petulant or the confidence totally respect.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you, having just done the opening only recently, of course, you definitely feel halfway through that petula. I felt it because I was like this crowd, because we had no warm up. Yeah, no one was used to voice in the room. All of a sudden, I'm on. Not only that moment before I within the hour of me going to do the opening up, my shoe broke. The high heels that I'd bought broke, and I had about four shelved jokes through my opening about the shoes which led one piece to the next because the shoes were so high and so impossible, and then when the dancers came out, they were going to drag me back and the shoes were going to like whatever. So but they were still in the auto Q. So while I'm standing there doing my monologue and I'm all I'm seeing is how slowly the jokes that are no longer appropriate are rolling. She doesn't know the whataque lady doesn't really know where I'm up to because I'm not doing the joke as written and the audience are not listening. I was just like, it is this crowd, Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: It is the toughest room. No, And I don't know why.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you do get and I've done about eight I reckon six to eight kind of you know, presenting with somebody, and I've had I reckon a fifty percent striker.
Speaker 3: You know, it's the poison chalice.
Speaker 1: So sometimes you get a sweet spot where for some reason they are they're there.
Speaker 2: I mean you are, but you are one of the absolute you know, like the audience usually forced quiet, and so you and Hughesy and I think Sean have an ability for the audience to kind of you know, quiet down and listen.
Speaker 3: They eventually did, but I was quite a way in before they did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I mean they should have been. They should have been there from the start, hardcore.
Speaker 3: I'm like, let's bring But.
Speaker 2: When I can only imagine you realizing because you become outside of your head, then don't you.
Speaker 3: For And I'm thinking, where are those jokes? Where are they placed? Okay, so when the dancers come and take me back, what am I going to say? Because I hadn't thought of it either, I haven't. I knew that I was disappointed. The shoes are broken, blah blah blah. Not a not a classic story. But then I was in trainers, not even my good trainers, and trainers are just sort of worn on the day to get there, to get my makeup done. It was all out of micas.
Speaker 2: Night at Nights, nominated for All the gold Load monologue, opening monologue.
Speaker 3: And I'm in the gardening trainers. And then the next day I didn't read any of it. But oh my god, Peter, did I get sliced and diced every single word some some group was crumpy about So I was just like, oh my god, whatever you need, whatever you need you know, it's just chokes.
Speaker 2: It is just jokes, and it would be it'd be nice. I mean, you know, I like that comedy evolves, and I think it's important that it's so important that it evolves, because I'm glad we're not doing mother in law.
Speaker 3: Jokes totally shaken women's boobies, and that's alone is hysterical, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it used to be you could you know, you would have you know, references in your pocket to kind of go, okay, that is the the ugly celebrity we can make fun of in certain you know, or fat celebrity here, or downtrodden celebrity here. And I feel like we are, you know, we are beyond that now. And it challenges you to work in a different way. And I'm really I love that challenge, you know. I loved putting the thoughts that I've had through a certain filter and kind of going Okay, how can I make this? And it's not even about making it work or anything like that, it's just making it something that's a positive experience.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh yeah, because that's what we're there for, exactly, to make people laugh, not to get people offside or to disrespect a group or and there's no point disrespecting a group if you don't genuinely feel that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you have to repeat often these these routines. Yeah, many, many, many times. If you're doing a tour and I don't want to play to a certain member of the crowd and leave out you.
Speaker 3: Know, everybody else, Well, my teenagers help I reckon. Oftentimes there'll be something that I will say what, I'm like, what, and my girls will correct me. Just go do you know what? Just don't use it at all. So I said something, I said that whatever it was, I said, God, that is savage. And the girl said to me, you can't say that. I'm like what they said, it's disrespectful, and then went into a series of I said, well, hang on, I'm not saying that somebody is a savage. I am saying that that behavior is right. His hardcore is, you know, disgrace or whatever. No, Ruby's like, just leave it out, just leave it out. I'm like, all right, Well, I'm happy to leave it out, and I'm happy to learn that that's not right. Do you know someone told me the other day. Someone told me the other day who's they had bumped into a chap in a homeless chap and she said, thanks champ. He opened the door for her, and she has, thanks champion. He has, don't ever call me champ and she's like what and he said, yeah, it's a dobber in jail and I'm not a dobber. And she said, oh, well, may I call you a lovely gentleman? He goes that you can call me and that was their exchange, and she's like, ha, do I not have that exchange? I would never have known the calling somebody a champ means you're calling them a daughter.
Speaker 1: I mean champ. Champ's a great word.
Speaker 3: See a champ, see a champ.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: So in that evolving, I'd like to think that I'm evolving in the right direction. I'm open to it if I might push back at first, or I'm like, hang on, that's not grammatically correct.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you want to understand as opposed. I don't think we should be like, you know, okay, you just tell me what I can say. Why I can't say. It's like I want to be.
Speaker 1: Part of absolutely you want to understand it.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not using it exactly. And then I figure, well, if if I'm going to get it even vaguely wrong, then I'll just dump it. I don't need to say it. Get another word.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: A lot of comedy on stage, particularly live comedy, is risk versus reward.
Speaker 1: It's like, okay, what's it worth? You know?
Speaker 3: Do you know what I'd forgotten Peter as well, is that when I do stand up these days, I'm on so you know, the whatever fifteen hundred people, two thousand people whatever are sitting in the crowd. I'm there to well maybe not all of them, but they are there to see me. So when I come out on say something like the LOGI stage to do stand up, it's the feeling will be different because the whole room are not there to see Mete. So they had that was an odd awakening as well.
Speaker 2: I've had the experience just recently. Last night I did a gig with jimal On and Dave On there. We had a great, great night, just a local bowls club to be honest, and it was so much fun. They knew who they were coming to see. It was so much fun. But the gig before I had done before that was for a football club where I was a surprise. In fact, I was filling in for somebody who had to pull out and that I was a surprise, and it was everyone's a.
Speaker 1: Bit dressed up.
Speaker 2: And it's that classic thing where you do often at corporate gigs as opposed to stand up ruins where you have a dance floor in front of you, and so you're playing to advance law and you know, you know they dance well for comedy, but of.
Speaker 3: Course any paquetry in tonight.
Speaker 1: So you also know that you are one small portion of that.
Speaker 3: Night totally, and it was you know, you are the stripper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was a stripper. I consider it to be honest because it was tough.
Speaker 3: I don't do corporate comedy anymore. Peter years are stressing out that I was going to say the wrong thing and get into trouble because people will be like, you know what, we're pretty loose. Say what you want. Then I'll get up and do well, here we go then and oh my gosh, I get into trouble afterwards. I mean, yeah, so about ten years ago, maybe I'm like, yes, I think corporate stand up is over for me. So now when I go and host stuff, I'm like, no, I'll host your awards and I don't do whatever you want, but I don't do a comedy spot. If you want to comic, get one in. That's not that night. I'm an mc that night. I can't deal with the stress. I'm doing my pants. It doesn't stop me from saying it, Peter when I'm in the stand up moment, because I feel, let's go. But yes, to stand up such a different arena to the corporate world where, like, you know what, you can say old around here.
Speaker 1: I've had so many people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think I've had the experience, but people have gone, like the CEOs over there, he's a good guy, have and they have a go and they're like, oh, you shouldn't have done that.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Yeah, here's this time the Securities Commission, we're after him. Joke about that sounds terrific. I'll definitely do that.
Speaker 2: So what I was trying to think, why does Happy Gilmore work despite the fact that there's you know, there's some average jokes in there, there some cracking jokes. In fact, I just want to play my favorite line in the whole series. It's become a famous line. This is between Shuda McGavin and Happy Gilmore.
Speaker 1: And this is the.
Speaker 6: Big trouble Thot pieces a ship like you for breakfast.
Speaker 5: You eat pieces of ship for breakfast.
Speaker 3: No, I think works is Adam Sandler?
Speaker 2: Well, I think I think both. I think Adam Sandler, Yeah, and Christoph McDonald. And we should talk about him because this is one of the reason it works. They have come up with a great villain. But he is so good.
Speaker 3: The super Hansome is very funny. Is timing is dreamy. It's not an over actor. Sometimes when actors need to be a bit dastardly, there's just you know, it's like the Wacky Races is on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his performance.
Speaker 3: Is actually quite subtle for such a big performance movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he you mentioned it earlier about the idea he can't introduction to him is him saying to Julie Bowen's character Virginia, get me a PEPSI like dismissing her.
Speaker 1: And you're absolutely right.
Speaker 2: And that doesn't go anywhere, Like it doesn't become a theme that you know, he has no respect for the work that she's doing. But it does set up straight away that he's a jackass, as the Americans would say.
Speaker 3: And I wonder if, because it was the nineties, it felt like so I was talking before about consequences, so punched someone no consequences. But there was also I felt like a lot of setups that were going to go into a much worse situation. So I feel like movie writing has changed since then because I so of the many things they set up through the movie. I kept thinking on God so like when he when the posh guy sort of hugs Julie Bowen, I'm like, oh, this is going to turn into something never did. So they felt like the steps were up in there for lots of themes, and maybe they just had to cut a whole lot of extra stuff they shot out for timing. But these days, that's why my teenagers found it boring because it just didn't It didn't go harder, harder, hard or harder. If you think of a movie like Date Night with Tina Fey, it just gets worse and worse and worse and worse, and it just kind of I felt like happy Gilmore cruised on the one kind of bad thing that I sought and need to sort of air.
Speaker 2: Came up with the idea, which I think was based on a friend of Adam Sandler, who was very good at hockey and could smack a ball like go for quite far and that's the seed of the idea, and they and then he's written this with Tim Heraley, who is his co writer. He wrote a lot of his stuff at Saturday Night Last, Adam Sandler gets sacked. He does five Years on Saturday Night Live and gets sacked because the ratings went great, even though he was quite popular. He does a lot of his musical stuff on SNL. Ratings went great, so they let him and I think Chris Farley's great mate, Chris Farreley go And then a lot of people assumed at the time he was just going off to make movies. I'm not sure how much was made at the time that he was actually sacked because he used to always bring his crew with him. I think he's very loyal to his mates, and they didn't like well.
Speaker 3: He feels like an incredibly good guy. It does feel like I'm disrespecting this work, which I definitely am not, because I really have an understanding of how hard it is to write a script, to get backers, to get it up, to get it happening. There's so many different levels that prove and whenever anybody speaks of Adam Sandler, he is so beloved, so I definitely don't want it to sound like I'm disrespecting this movie, but.
Speaker 2: There is something about Adam Sandler that seems to be extremely divisive, like I. He's either beloved or he's derided like that, and there seems to be I seem that exists somewhere in the middle where I I. I think Habby Gilmore has been over the years for me a pretty easy watch.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure it's one that I would put on the watch, but if it's on, I'd watch.
Speaker 1: I watch a bit of it, right, I think a lot of it has to do sit in McGavin.
Speaker 2: I me and my wife on our honeymoon in New York saw Christopher vic DNA mcgavn at in Central Park and we ran after him.
Speaker 1: And this year that sute McGavin.
Speaker 3: Amazing, amazing and the at least waves.
Speaker 2: He turned around and gave us a smirk, and that was enough. That was enough for us.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine the body of work and just people running after him calling out shoot mcgavern.
Speaker 2: Well, he almost didn't want to do the role because he'd played a few villains leading into this.
Speaker 1: He was in thelmon Luise, so he's course he's he was amazing, He was so good and such such a prick.
Speaker 3: Fantastic, and he feels like, but he's done that role a number of times, hasn't he. He's been when I was in drama school. Excuse me. When I went back to drama school in two thousand and ten in Los Angeles, they were talking about people's head shots and what they look like. So everyone had to bring in a head shot, and then one by one the headshot were held up and the whole room had to say what they would cast that person in. And so if you are if you look like me, they have said you could be an English nanny, or you could be somebody's older mum or whatever those roles were. That that was what you needed to lead into. There's no point pushing against that, Like I'm going to get a romantic lead. Why would I keep going for that when I just simply don't look like that person? So he I wonder has he just been cast over and over again because he's so exquisitely handsome, He's a very talented actor, and he does fill that role beautifully. So yeah, it makes it that sometimes you need to lean in to that type. Yeah, just to continue working.
Speaker 1: I mean when he's little David Hasseloff joke.
Speaker 2: This is hilarious, Yeah, for the right and wrong reasons. But when he's into it before I noticed it when I got to it last night, when he's introduced on stage, before he does he's first day, but joke.
Speaker 3: Is so fair, like he's not there and then he turns are like, hey, hey guys, I'm here.
Speaker 2: It was like I've been in that situation where you kind of go, I don't like before I go on stage, ideally I'm not seen by the audience. It's it's like it's become a superstition, and it's just like it's just it's been a show.
Speaker 1: Buz. It's like I hear you, are you get the applause?
Speaker 3: And so were you a bigger sensification?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So he's recognized that idea, that kind of feeling of going there just behind a curtain is behind a curtain and his back turned.
Speaker 1: So it's so good.
Speaker 2: Let's have a listen to when Shude McGavin and and Happy Meat not for the first time, but they kind of get to get her in the bar and shoots done to feel a bit threatened by Happy Gilmore.
Speaker 5: I was quite assure you put on too that Gilmore.
Speaker 1: You were the talk of the tournament.
Speaker 3: Wow, thanks so that? Yeah, well you were the crushed that ball off the two. I'll tell you what, you know, you'd be something when I was a long drive contest. You can buy a very good living traveling around hush living driving ranges.
Speaker 1: Thanks Pilling. That's that's that's you know.
Speaker 4: I know what you're doing right now, and I don't like it, So why don't you just shut your trap before I put my.
Speaker 5: Foot don't turn your back on me.
Speaker 7: Let's get one thing straight.
Speaker 1: This is Shooter Store.
Speaker 6: I've worked hard my whole life, paid my dues, and now it's Shooter's turn and should's not.
Speaker 7: About to let his run at the top be spoiled by some freak sideshow clown. Did you just call me a freak?
Speaker 4: I was on this tour for one reason money, but now I got a new reason, kicking your ass.
Speaker 6: Well, I'd like to see you try.
Speaker 4: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Then on a golf course.
Speaker 3: Hey, hey, what is going on here? Huh oh?
Speaker 4: I was just I'm looking for the other half of this bottle, and uh oh, there's some of it right, there's a there's some.
Speaker 5: Right there too.
Speaker 3: Why don't you just put it down? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I know, just stay out of my way.
Speaker 7: You'll pay listen to what I say.
Speaker 3: How about I just go eat some Hey, I can make things out of and lay by the bay.
Speaker 1: I just may What do you say? Yeah? I mean I think.
Speaker 3: Well broken bottle trick.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting with the aggression. We did Punstrung Love with Hamish McDonald. Hamish did not particularly respond to that movie.
Speaker 1: He didn't like.
Speaker 2: Barry Egan Adams send a place aggression that he has his like. But I think in Punstrung Love he we know where the aggression comes from. Even though there's a there's a small attempt to explain that his parents have died and he've got which is you know, we can understand that would be the thing, so at least there is an effort to explain that, but it doesn't. Yeah, you it just seems aggression for aggression's sake.
Speaker 3: Well, and also the character is not. In Punch Drunk Love, we get a like a ballast of grief and sadness almost underneath whatever that aggression is. But we don't have those levels of character because he's called happy and he seems quite happy. He kinda i'm in things, give him the ships during the day and then his response is to punch it out. But in actual fact, if you know, he was a funny character and trying to entertain the crowd, and you know, so he didn't have those levels of tragedy like say his character and punch drunk love. So it's a little bit more difficult to justify or ever justify that violence, I guess. But that's not scene breaking a bottle and.
Speaker 2: Next, well, that that was one where I did kind of go like the other some of the other stuff that I felt was some of it is cartoon throwing.
Speaker 3: Well, federation wrestling, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Thrown at the tax guy out the window, you know, and the.
Speaker 3: Tax guys walks off. I guess he hates me. Wait what are you not going to hospital? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, I guess I guess he'd be going to treat it as cartoony. You can't have consequence, no consequences. Did he follow through with that. But one of the interesting things Christopher McDonald had issues with being should have been scared of happy, because he's like, well, I'm six three and you're like, you know, five nine, I'm not sure if this is you know, a bit of ego maybe from Christopher McDonald. Adam sund I had to explain, well, you know, because you know Happy, he's a very volatile character, so he's you're scared of he's you know what, you know what he would be prepared to do in an actual fight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, not the face, the face.
Speaker 1: Not the face.
Speaker 2: The other The other reason I think this movie works really well is there's it's a perfect sport for Happy Gilmore to invade. Like there's so much pomp and ceremony around golf. You know, there's so many rules. You take your kids out in the course of the amount of times, and I did it for the first time recently, all three of them. I've taken them out separately, but all three of them and took to the Queen's own and recently and we all play golf together. And the amount of things I had to take through this is you know, you have a replace your divits, and you've got you know, the this is you, this is the tea you know, tea up from and and there's so many things, and then there's like little things about when you're playing let alone, when you're at a professional tournament and the protocols involved.
Speaker 3: And we did heap small fish out of water stuff. I feel like in the nineties, like the Private Benjamin. Yeah, taking this person put them into this completely opposite environment and you know, like trading places.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, well he reminded me when he went and he didn't know who the caddy was and he kind of like you think, thought he was stolen in his clubs. He reminded me when Danny Zuko in Greece starts. Ye, it's absolutely run the track team and then the wrestling team.
Speaker 3: In is yeah, lettering and track.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also there's there's there's good physical gags. You know, there's set scenes. And I think I make his point earlier. You know, you're you meant a very good point you made about the film that's not having a sense of almost like it was nothing really led to anything else. It did feel like it was set peace after set piece of set piece, which probably comes from it they sat in that live.
Speaker 3: Also felt like he was going to win the house back. I guess that's what there was. There was no jeopardy much. I thought he's just he's so gifted, he's probably going to win the house. Back, but I thought what they might have done was that he would have lost the tournament. But then somehow the tournament was then given to him through the other guy cheating or you know, because there was you know, the other guy had someone try and run out him sound over.
Speaker 2: A security was lack other days driver Volkswagen onto a golf course. I mean, looking back, you imagine the public liability insurance so that the structure that falls over onto the green.
Speaker 3: Amazing, amazing, it was, Yes, so many different market thinking, this is just this keeps getting better and better, this movie.
Speaker 1: It's wild.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's certainly what what you had the fantasy scenes which I remember always like, you know, laughing at like that this is in Habby's head.
Speaker 1: And you got Julie Bowen in the in the lingerie with the beer. You had two jugs of beer, two jugs of beer.
Speaker 2: And then the second second one I thought was was the funnier one where Shin McGavin comes in.
Speaker 1: I gotta I gotta say, like very handsy with Oh my god, yeah, did you see what I saw? Yeah, like there was if you look at one hand, it's like.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, that feels perilously close. Yes, yes, I mean, now, that's that's why you have intimacy coaches these days. That's not to suggest that there was anything out of out of proprietary, but it was.
Speaker 2: I thought, But you're right in the ty coaches are a welcome addition to the secause I reckon that would have maybe been been discussed.
Speaker 1: But then I didn't love that. He also then pashed Manner.
Speaker 3: As well, very very funny. That was very funny. Yes, I mean, I loved the fantasy scenes and I love I love using my body in jokes, so I think I loved it. I loved it. And Julie Bowen is a very very smart, clever, aerodite, you know, comedy actress, and she would have definitely been a part of that process because the one thing I keep noticing about Adam Sanders films is there he has surrounded himself with friends and possibly the absolute best in the business at the time, and lots of emerging comedians and comic actors that I felt like then just became massive after that. They would have been already on track. But there were so many little pop ups through the movie where you're like, oh, yeah, okay, there's another famous person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he does bring back Friends. Apparently Chris McDonald keeps saying to him, when am I going to be in another movie? And he's like, you shouldn't, Magavin, You always should, do You remember at.
Speaker 3: The beginning of Funny People, and they show a lot of prank calls that Adam Sandler may back obviously in his very very early twenties. I think, yeah, so they might, and Janine gar Uffalo and say it. And there was another comic there as well, but obviously, like deep Old Friends, that's a that's a mighty team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I really love that about Adam Sandler. He's just he's living his best life totally. He's making films just to entertain people his audience. I think he has a fair idea who his audiences. He's not even when he makes his serious film, you don't get the impression that he's doing it to win a moscar. He doesn't make puns strang love for that reason. He doesn't make uncut gems for that reasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's spectacular. Oh my god, so stressful. I'd like I had the stomach of fifty sit ups.
Speaker 1: What the most stressful films I think I've ever seen?
Speaker 3: I couldn't go like a what's happening?
Speaker 4: He was?
Speaker 3: But he is amazing. He is.
Speaker 2: He is one of the reasons that the films that popular because at the time the Riose of Tiger Woods is one of these things where you never quite know what's in the waters when you release a film, and the Rise of Tiger Woods he was just taking the golf world by a storm, so golf was experiencing.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a GEISTI I mean, he's obviously a huge are both the Madison movie, they're both golf films.
Speaker 2: Billy Madison basically is him being an adult in a primary school basically. Okay, yeah, I kind of forget I've I've only seen it once, but it's him being an adult.
Speaker 3: In of course, he did water Boy as well, didn't he.
Speaker 1: Well, he's a big sports fan.
Speaker 2: He's got this new one, Hustle, which is a more of a dramatic one on Netflix, where he plays an NBA scout, So he's a big he's a big sports fan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this is I wonder, I hope is that that Well, I'm so sure he has been for a long long while at that point is of his you know, working life where he can literally pick and choose what he wants to do, work as little or as much because he's got I think he's got kids similar age to ours. I think they're only just teenagers. So yeah, creating that early success as he has in the real Churnabyl movies, and then picking the more heart and blood projects, you know, one by one as you start to age. I think we all do that a little bit.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Bob Barker was concerned about doing the scenes.
Speaker 2: He's the Price is Right host in the States, and he only was convinced to do it because he'd been actually training with Chuck Norris.
Speaker 1: On his own.
Speaker 3: I think just and I don't know I hear that sentence more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he trained with Chuck Norris and was was convinced to do it when they said you are going to be in a fight. It's going to be a fight scene with Adam Sandler, and he said, I'll do it, but only I actually do. I don't want to use body doubles. Now I suspect they use the body double when they're rolling.
Speaker 1: Yes, but it is.
Speaker 2: It is. It became like the iconic scene of the movie. Even the promotion leant heavily into this. The trailer Adam Sandler goes on prices right to promote it. It became a big selling point in the movie. I love how Long agoes, but it goes almost the perfect length of time.
Speaker 1: It keeps on going, It keeps on going, gets worse and worse. The lines are good.
Speaker 2: Let's ever listen to a little bit of the far between Bob Barker and Habby Gilmore.
Speaker 1: I can't believe you're a professional golfer. I think you should be working at the snack bar.
Speaker 4: You better relax, bar.
Speaker 6: There is no way that you could have been as bad at hockey as you are at golf.
Speaker 5: All right, let's go.
Speaker 2: Do like that old man.
Speaker 1: You want a piece of me. I don't want a piece of you. I want the whole thing.
Speaker 2: It is interesting when people watch it now, where they're seeing the reactions they're having two vos. I mean, that feels like a very cartoony fight. It's also probably helps that it is. It's important. I think that Bob Barker wins that fight.
Speaker 3: I think so too, And I think that Bob Barker entering into it does He is the stress on the either the happy Gilmore character bullying him, the fact that he kind of comes back and they have this even exchange of weird aggression every step.
Speaker 1: Of the word.
Speaker 3: I kept thinking, this is comedy mind field when we go to speak about it, because I know lots of bits of it art, right, I know it's legendary. It's it's a tricky one to revisit. Yeah, yeah, Like I wish i'd seen it at the time. Now, yeah, so I could have had already had my love affair with it instead of coming into it now just going wait, what is that? Oh more of that boring misogyny that we've come to know in love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's it's I mean I was twenty one when I saw it, and I say, it's not It's not up there in the my absolutely favorite comedy movies, but it has become an easy movie.
Speaker 3: It was like Animal House or Animal House.
Speaker 1: And Caddy Shack. We're kind of you know, I think influences on.
Speaker 3: This, Yeah, right absolutely where.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's there's a it's funny.
Speaker 2: I don't think we make movies that are as cartoony where the thing like you kind of mentioned it earlier, where I think these things don't actions don't have consequences, and there's Just and Adams and the films that all through, Like leech Avino, it's just this pops up and I'm say I got the Like the second or third time Lechavina was, I was like, okay, all right, we've had enough leach Avena. And then he does it for a fourth time. I think maybe is it the is it the e conditioner going down? No, I think it's when when Chubbs dies, When Chubbs dies and Lechavenas, I think I laughed over that loud. I've forgotten that he pops up again. It's yeah, it's it's silly, and it's it's they're so hit and miss, but there are they go for so many jokes.
Speaker 3: Als it's a very quick joke before someone dies each time. So I noticed a couple of times in those in the early stages with my girls talking as we wind our way down into a movie, they missed two of the deaths. I think because they were too busy chatting. I'm like, do you want me to go back? They're like, please don't.
Speaker 2: I did one question I had about Nana and why wasn't she allowed to stay in the house you had ninety days?
Speaker 1: Why wasn't she allowed to stay in.
Speaker 3: The house and they'd already taken her stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, they they've taken her stuff. That that's on day one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, they took everything so that none of that was making sense unless yeah, so again it.
Speaker 1: Is it is.
Speaker 2: It doesn't really matter, and they know it doesn't matter. Yeah, and the audience has obviously got it doesn't matter. What do you think of the the Adam Sandler's become for a bit of product placement? Where do you stand on product placements? There have been times where I've worked with the ABC where you not have products, but sometimes you like, well, I would like to reflect the world. We live in a very commercialized world. I feel like the Subway product placement. There's and pepsi in there as well, but the Subway thing, it kind of I was, I'm kind of okay because it's golf and it's kind of you know, you do see advertising around and they did add it into.
Speaker 3: The narrative where that you got that little bit of extra money because he did a commercial, which is not out of the question for an emerging pro gole for I guess just you know, just get some of the sort of smaller ones instead of the big cars and the airlines and whatever.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure if Subway, after seeing him punch up Spectators and again to a fight with that but love it hosting your pro happy, we would be going for the movie. But I think in the actual world if Subway would be going, he just punched on with the host of the Prices, right, let's give him a contract. I'm not sure if that would happen. I think it's very funny that they did. Maybe I was trying to move on from the It used to give.
Speaker 3: Me the dirts, like when I'd see the girls cleaning their teeth in The Bachelor and stuff like that. I'd be like, is this the way we're headed? And then I did take Away so Sunday Night take Away with Chiz and it's all about saying company names and products and people nothing to do with me, but something to do with the show. So there was something about that show that made me understand, it's okay. It's okay to have some product placement if it keeps us all on the air.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, ever fits the story, and I think Subway this here, it fits a story, and I think those I remember when Ken Park used to come and give away a car and hey hate Saturday either giving away a car. I don't care that Ken Parker gets a plug. Now, yeah, there was a line obviously, and it can be complicated. On the project we did the story, you know, well, they weren't.
Speaker 3: Trying to sell us the subway because it was within the joke of the commercial, wasn't it. So yes, it was in there, but and the joke was kind of like going buy one. But it didn't feel like we were dirty and being sel something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, it felt like it was. It was part of the story. It can put up place and can get complicated. Though we had at a moment on the project where we had done a story, a kind of expose a on a delivery, one of the delivery servers and you know, the treatment of the drivers and all of that. We threw to a The next show was a reality show. I don't think it was one of your ones, one of your three or four, but one of the prizes was somebody like being whoever was in there being delivered by this delivery. So they I think spent a lot of money you know for that and have and and like literally minutes earlier, there's an expose about how they're you know, treating.
Speaker 3: Some of their so you know what, Well, that's to the project's credit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely, it's not having.
Speaker 3: A little slurp slurp on the corporate luge. Yeah. And if something doesn't feel like it's right that the project feels like, it's the place where I hear it.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you very much, and quick, quick fun facts before we go. I think I think we've covered some. Christopher McDonald, I didn't say, rejected the role initially, then he took it on. He's also in a great movie around a time we doesn't get spoken about enough called Quiz Show. Robert Redford directed that with Ray Fines, a true story about the quiz show scam that was happening around that time. But in twenty seventeen, Christopher McDonald was he crashed his car put outside the road and not seriously when he was drunk, and the first words apparently came out of his mouth was I was in happy Gilmore.
Speaker 3: I do love that.
Speaker 2: One of the golf pros who consulted on the script. I can't say I saw the fruits of this consultancy too much throughout it, but it was a bit offended that initially is going to take basically the US Open and to win the famous green jacket, and he thought it was it was offensive to that. So they made up a new tournament like his big tournament, and he became the gold Jacket.
Speaker 3: I'm assuming Adam Sander is a huge golf fan, is he? Is? He?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think he's a fan of sports just in general. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Apparently he's not particularly good at golf. He's not particularly good at hockey, but he loves his sports. The laughing clown that we're here at the mini golf tournament, that's Adam Sandler himself.
Speaker 1: And go back and listen to that. Mark Mothersbrough from Devo did the music. I'm not sure if you picked up.
Speaker 3: I didn't see that.
Speaker 1: That's the whip it himself. He's become quite the composer.
Speaker 2: He works a lot with I think Wes Anderson did, I think Thor Ragnar Rock I must have you did the recent one.
Speaker 1: But he is.
Speaker 2: He's become quite the film composer. Julian Morris, this movie comes with homework and you have done it and I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: I rocked it.
Speaker 1: You absolutely rocked it.
Speaker 2: We had you know we I think we've done well, We've recognized some of its some of its flaws. It is when it comes as shock to anyone. Happy Gilmore is not a flawless film.
Speaker 1: No, it's just not.
Speaker 3: But it is wonderful to watch to see how far we have come in society and that in actual fact, walking up to someone who was just standing there being a smart ass doesn't actually need to be nearly punched to death. So like, at least at least we can really see the changes in our society. You know, I don't think this film has that much gravitas, but it certainly gives us an idea that those things that we even thought were funny then and any falling over kind of physical comedy, lots of it is funny. But yeah, in this it's it's an unusual revisit.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you very much and keep doing what you're doing. You're one of the funniest people I know.
Speaker 2: And you are so loved on screen and whenever you, like I said, you have when you walk on stage at the logis and with the wardrobe malfunctions aside this year, but over many many years now, when you walk on stage, there is a reverence for you and you are always hilarious and let's keep doing what you're doing.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna happy gil will that shit and just punch people next year.
Speaker 1: Shut up, Happy, I don't feel bad about me.
Speaker 5: I got my handbag.
Speaker 1: Sie, just begun.
Speaker 2: Julia Morris is an absolute delight, an absolute delight. That was a lot of fun reliving Happy Gilmore with Julia. I hope you enjoyed it too. Yes, anytime you can catch Julia old Julia Robbers she is. I think Julia Morris is the Julia Roberts of Australian show beers.
Speaker 1: I really do. Thanks Jules for that. That was amazing.
Speaker 2: Derek Mayer some Guysway Studios dot com dot au is who you need to chat to if you're looking to get your podcast up. He helps stitch all of this together. Where do you sit on the Adam Sandler spectrum, Derek.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm in a bit of a no it's a bit of no go zone for me.
Speaker 1: I really can't stand well. However, I'm glad that you enjoy putting this episode together as well.
Speaker 7: Although Happy Gilmore came for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like yeah, I feel like that.
Speaker 2: Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore with Adam Sandler before he became this global thing. I I like Adam Sandler, even though I don't particularly well. I love him because of punts drunk love really, but I love to have you Gilmour when I you know, when I came out and that was like, Okay, this guy, this guy's funny.
Speaker 1: I like this guy.
Speaker 2: But then he kind of got into these don't message Ohan and mister Deeds and the movies that were just weren't very good. And he said to be making a lot of movies and they weren't always keeping up to that standard. But when he's in his sweet spot, you know, like Fifty First Dates I think is a really fun film. Another one is All the Jury, very more wedding Singer I think is really really fun. So when he's in that sweet spot, I think he's really great.
Speaker 7: We enjoyed it. I mean when it came out, we loved it. Yeah, I laughed, and it was like sort of somehow connected to Caddy Shack, which was already historical for us. You know, it was locked in yep, and so we loved it and it was probably it stood outside my a the only film I've ever walked out of ever in a cinema because I'm scotsman. I don't walk out of things that I've paid for.
Speaker 1: It was water Boy, all right, Yeah, I just.
Speaker 7: For ten minutes in I went, I can't stand that voice.
Speaker 1: I'm out. Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: When he's almost playing himself, I quite like him. When he puts on a voice, an affected voice, I find him less.
Speaker 1: Warm in a way.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm really I'm fascinated by Adam Sandler as a the way people react to him.
Speaker 1: I love.
Speaker 2: I hope he does more dramatic stuff. I said, Punchbank love. I love uncut Gems amazing. So yeah, there you go next week on the show, very special show, very special, maybe the most special show we have done. It's a one hundredth episode live. We recorded it at the Brunswick Ballroom only only last week. Thank you for everybody who came out to watch the show. It is Tom Gleeson, who was our very first guest, very first guest who the Lion King for his first episode, for our first episode and for our one hundred episode.
Speaker 1: He watched The Hunger Games, Jennifer Lawrence.
Speaker 2: Lame Hemsworth and all everyone else, especially Jay law Let's be honest, we had a fun time. I can't wait for you to hear that for those who were there, and obviously for more of you who weren't there, because you know, we can only fit so many people in.
Speaker 1: But we had a great time.
Speaker 2: So that's next week and you ain't seen that the year one hundred episode, my great mate Tom Gleason watching the Hunger Games for the very first time.
Speaker 1: If I have a live audience, love it. Until then, Bye for now, and so we leave old Pete, save fan soul, and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good name.