Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week. They might welcome back guys to TV Reload. My name's Benjamin Norris and on this podcast I go behind the scenes with the biggest players in television. Each episode you will get a front row seat with content makers like executive producers, writers, editors and casting agents, plus the talent that we see on our screens. TV Reload reloads the shows that you are currently watching and gives you a better insight into our television industry and our streaming services. Today on the podcast, I have the latest unmasked celebrity from Channel tens, the mass singer Australia. And while we have wiggled with this guest for many years, you may not have picked her as the zombie.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Today's guest is Emma Watkins. Emma was the first woman to ever be a part of the Wiggles and while we've been in her audience for so many years, I believe we really have only touched the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what I think Emma is capable of. Whilst being an actor, singer, dancer growing up, she had no idea that being a children's entertainer was going to be what would propel her to global status. Kids love her, parents love her, grandparents love her, and let's face it, who hasn't wanted to buy their own Emma doll. It is absolutely no secret why Australia loves her, and in this chat you'll get some great insights into the magic of her appeal. We will talk her likeness to Anne Hathaway, why people are obsessed with her, whether she studied zombies to take on this role, and if she knows who else is behind the rest of the masks. However, let's get started with Emma Watkins as I welcome her to TV Reload.
Speaker 3: I really tried to come in.
Speaker 1: Confident last time on Australia's Strangest Singing Show.
Speaker 3: Even I didn't know that I was going to be a wiggle. Oh celebrity hiding in finesight will sing for us right here on stage. I just happened to be the first female in the group.
Speaker 2: At the end of.
Speaker 3: The show, one of them will have to show us who is behind the mask. I never thought I would do a show like this, So Emma, you were hob I'm eyeing people's body language. I've got no idea.
Speaker 2: Hi, Emma, how are you good?
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm really well. Congratulations on the mask Singer Australia. You really look like you had a lot of fun with this.
Speaker 3: Oh I had a ball, and it's something that's so out of my comfort zone. But I grew up doing lots of different types of suit work. I feel very comfortable hidden in the suit, and for some reason I had forgotten that you have to sing outside the suit. So I think they've cut out in the edit the dread on my face. When they're like, here's microphone. I'm like, oh no, I just I don't know. It was in the moment I kind of was like, oh no, I have to actually sing.
Speaker 2: It's my favorite part. That's what I love.
Speaker 1: I love when they when the mask comes off and we get to see your face with the rest of a costume on. It's the terror, that's what we're here for.
Speaker 3: It is the terror. And it's not because I just wanted to do a good job and I don't normally sing like that or at all, So it was a thrill to be able to have the chance to do something like this.
Speaker 1: For sure, if you ask me, I think that you have been the most famous Wiggle that has ever existed. What is it about you though, that has made such an impact on audiences, children and adults alike? Like, what do you think it was about you that made such a big impact on us?
Speaker 3: I think probably has a lot to do with context too, because I just happened to be the first female in the group after such a long time, and at that time it was like that was considered taboo. It was it was almost a surprise to people that you know, that would even consider having a woman in the group. And it was always the Wiggles intention to have somebody that was female as part of the group a lot earlier, but it just they hadn't found the right person, or they were still trying to figure out who that was. Whatever it was at the time. But I think that was really the point of change, or it was a catalyst for this a new generation, whereas now people are more accepting and you know, ready to be flexible about who can be on screen and performing with children, whereas when it was I think it was just at the time it was such a shock.
Speaker 1: I remember walking through a shopping center and I saw like five dolls of you the Yellow Wiggle like it was so weird. It was everywhere, and I was like, oh my god, I'd never seen that happened before with any of the other Wiggles. Maybe less people wanting to carry around a man doll, and maybe it was more, you know, but it was just it's crazy.
Speaker 2: It was boys and girls.
Speaker 1: They were walking around carrying you, and you were so iconic with your red hair, and I just was like, that must have been so surreal to have a doll made of you and then have it be adopted like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it just seems strange to me.
Speaker 3: And a lot of children would bring them to the shows or to the meet and greets, completely disheveled, like the dog it had to made, put it in the washing machine. It had lost half of its hair. It was quite endearing that they like Mum and dad would say me like I just saw the leg back on, and they'd like soda together like pink stitching. And you know that there is a certain I like the use of the word adopt. It was definitely children adopting it as a friend or I don't know, but it was surreal. It doesn't feel like it was me. It definitely felt like it was a character or something else. For sure.
Speaker 1: I'm just picturing you saying, now look after me. Now, you know, like you don't treat me like this? You know. The Master Singer was an interesting choice for you because we really got to see different side to you without attaching you to that wiggle. We got to have a relationship with you before we saw that iconic image. Is that how you felt about saying yes to this?
Speaker 3: And I think just to try something completely different and to challenge myself, but also to see how people connect. Yeah, without a costume or without a certain type of character. It's really interesting because people have been so engaged in the show. People really do follow along and get involved and try and work out the clues, and they're really specific, and people will correct each other if they think that their gas is not correct, or they will try and correct the clues as well and like, oh, well I know this clue because of this. It's amazing what you find out about people that are watching the show because they know so much about your life and you just you don't get that kind of connection every day. It's lovely. I just never knew that people knew so much of thatly, my mother would say that I'm very boring, So I'm not sure why anyone knows any of it, Tiff.
Speaker 1: We're obsessed with you, Like I always thought that of you. Magazines you were so you were so often talked about and in the press as well. Like I think as much as kids loved you, I think you sold magazines because people wanted to hear more about your life. Like it's kind of surreal, it's kind of weird that you're a children's entertainer and then all these people know the intricate details, you know, while I'm wearing that at my wedding because that's what she wore, or you know, you know, I just.
Speaker 3: Children's entertainment is not really known for that kind of you know, that sector of investigation or curiosity, but parents and grandparents because they are watching it on repeat constantly, and I think now in a technological age, they have a means to be able to find out more about people. So people have become so invested in performers, and actually that connection is a good thing because it makes the relationship so much stronger, and people then excited about what's happening next, and really, you know, wanting to know the new projects, and you know about your life and how you got there. And I think in general people are very curious beings. They want to know more about a person so that they can be well informed about a personality and make that decision for themselves.
Speaker 1: Do you think that as amazing as the Wiggles were and ah, that it's hard to be seen as someone who.
Speaker 2: Can do more.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because even I didn't know that I was going to be a Wiggle as well, Like I didn't embark as the Wiggle being like a goal. I can understand from out there people have assumed that that was the goal or that yet that's my one stop shop, that's the lane, stay in the lane. But I did so many other things like everybody before I even had the opportunity to even audition. And when I auditioned, I auditioned for a very specific role as a ballet dancing fairy. I have fairy hair, I like ballet, and that was it. But I never knew that I was going to be at Wiggle. So now I feel like, all of a sudden, I'm able to share some of my other passions with people that I was doing and studying and working in before I even saw The Wiggles and just continued over time. So now feels like a really special chapter because it's all the things that I've loved to do across the time, and all the things that I've learned in the last twelve years with the Wiggles and applying my new knowledge to a new project.
Speaker 1: I like the idea of a Wiggle academy though, you know, someone who leaves high school and once that's their goal, you know, and there's a whole lot of them. They're all going through university to become the next Wiggle, but in a way.
Speaker 3: Like I spent my entire twenties there, so for me, it really was that. And the relationships and friendships that I formed were like being at UNI for twelve years with the same set of classmates, you know. It was such a significant chapter of my life that I will never forget. And so yeah, I feel like now I'm onto my next degree and literally too. But also, you know, like a new chapter, which is really exciting. And I never thought I would do a show like this, so I'm thrilled.
Speaker 1: There was huge success with The Hottest one hundred, you know, the likea version with Tame Impala with that song by tam Im Paler.
Speaker 2: I mean it was massive.
Speaker 1: I was sure that we would see an album of music similar like that. Seemed like there was so much money in that. Is there something on the cards? Can you help us out, because I can't just have that one song from you guys.
Speaker 2: A lot more looks good.
Speaker 3: It's a good concept. I would really need to practice because I had to practice a lot to play the drums in the song, and my husband taught me the drum pattern and I had it written out on a piece of paper so I could make sure that I was doing the right thing. And so in the video you can I didn't know. I don't know why I didn't think that there was an overhead camera, but as I'm playing, you can see all my notes on the on the on the top film like stay in Time, Stay in Time. So I would need a lot of practice, Ben and luck. With the mass singer, I had to practice three songs. I've never even really thought about singing before, so give me some time.
Speaker 1: Well, you talked about the fact that you were a dancer, not a singer, and that singing was really a challenge because of your your confidence. You felt like you know, you didn't have the confidence, but listening back or watching the show back for you, you could really you have something to be really proud of. You have an amazing voice. People thought you were Natalie Bassingthwaite, you know, who has one arias you know, and it's in a musical that's touring the world, well, touring Australia. You know, has this experience changed you? Could you maybe have a little bit more confidence and believe in that voice that you've got buried away there.
Speaker 3: I really tried to come in confident, and when I got given the songs, I was like, and I'm like, okay, okay, And then you'd sing along with the net like with the original track, and then as soon as they take the vocal away, you're like, oh, that's exposing and it's different because it's not a song. It's not a song that you wrote or you created, and it's not doesn't feel like it's part of you. But I loved being able to try and approach this in a more confident space. But honestly, when I took the head off, I was like, hah no, put the.
Speaker 2: Head back off, Hana.
Speaker 1: There was a point where you sort of pointed back at the head and referred to the head like as a person.
Speaker 3: This way, look this way, she's this one.
Speaker 1: You gave her a sense of like real person, you know, you were like, you know, she helped me. You know, I can't remember the exact words. And I thought that was great. But you know, the choice of zombie was super fun. But what sort of research did you do to make her come alive? Did you start watching like zombie movies or did the choreographers help you out with that?
Speaker 2: Like what what happened there?
Speaker 3: I so wish I'd done more research.
Speaker 1: Hey, this is what I'm saying. You were a great zombie. Like we don't have in zombies inside of us, or maybe we do it don't.
Speaker 3: That's the scary thing. I feel that I was attempting for a sweet zombie, so I wanted to make her sweet. And some of the conversations that have been happening with the costume designer and the producers was that this zombie is so sweet she doesn't even know she's a zombie. And I was like, oh, okay, I understand that. So there were elements of zombie esque ness movements of her, but I think most of it was just me having a bit of fun. The best part about it was the times Witch was in the rehearsal and we didn't have a lot. You know, I would have loved to just get in the suit more and try and figure out how she moved. But by the time I figured it out, I was gone. But you know, once you're in it, you can figure out how to move it. Like I can see in the first code, I couldn't. I was trying to figure out how to balance her head because as soon as you tip over, that's it. She's very top heavy, so you really have to brace your Irish dancing thought and make sure your cause together before you start to do this with her. She can't do that. I in the first song my now watching back, my sister makes fun of me because I tried to copy the choreography of the dancers. If I really wanted to beat the dancer, I try to do the choreography exact, and they did this. They do a head roll. Yeah, and in the in the vision, I got my I've got my hand and I do and it's not good.
Speaker 2: You have to watch it.
Speaker 3: I wanted to do this, Yeah, that's what they were doing. I couldn't do this. So in the all you say is this, ma, mam, mama. And so now my sister sends me videos of her going like this, my mama, I couldn't do anything.
Speaker 2: Do me try.
Speaker 1: It's so good to have family that will pull you out on this. You know, look for a podcast if people are listening to this right now. We got to see some really really funny dancing, but definitely go back rewatch that episode ten plus because it's amazing. I need to know, though. I feel like I know every single one the mask. I feel like I've guessed them. I did guess you, and so the only one I don't know, and I've got no idea, like no idea is Popcorn. And you got to be in Popcorn's company. Do you have any idea who Popcorn is? Please help me?
Speaker 3: No, And you know, I don't know who any of them are. And what's hard for me, which I'm going to ask you, is I was so close to the mirror ball that I got to touch her shoulder, but I didn't want to like hurt her, so I had to put my hand. Corey was put your hand on it, and I said, I said, I'm your backup I just want She's at the front of absolutely everybody and Blowfly, and I like, we're like, no offense to Blowfly, but he and I were the supports, let's be honest. And so she's at the front absolutely nailing this massive note and we just they're like, come to Mirrorble and connect. And I was like, I'm going to touch her shoulder. I just touched the shoulder. I don't know who it is, and.
Speaker 2: You've touched her.
Speaker 3: He's very kind, She's very she moves in a very kind way. I'm eyeing people's body language. I've got no idea. Who do you think is the Mirrorble?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: It is the pussycat doll. What's her name? Oh my god?
Speaker 3: I love that You're so established it is.
Speaker 1: It is No, No, No, I know. And last night I was sitting and I was angry at the TV. I'm like, that's Shannon No, the Blowflies Shannon. Who are these people that don't know what Shannon No? What's going on? And the weird thing was I saw an episode filmed live and the one that I saw, Blowflies sung it did not sound like Shannon No. I didn't pick it up at all. I was like, oh, it's Grant Dania. Oh it's this person. And then now I've watched it. Now I'm I'm watching it. I'm like every performance he's done. I haven't seen the episode I was there for yet.
Speaker 3: Oh it's a bit later, you know, because obviously you don't get to see people and you're not really in contact at all. But when you have these le ear pieces in and you're trying to sing, and because it was a group number, I was like, I don't want to see it because I want to try and figure out who at the time, because you only get about ten seconds of people's voices. You don't get a four thing. You don't even see how they're moving or anything, because it's just so hard to see and hear and everything. And I thought that blowfight was Troy Cassa Daily because the voice in my ear was so yeah, so Troy. Now I don't think that's the case. But I have no idea who the mirror Ball is.
Speaker 1: The mirror Ball is definitely the pussy Cat Job, but look, I don't want to look I now sound like a crazy person. One thing I've always wanted to ask you, and you know, being in an audience for so long, I think if Anne Hathaway ever says no to a role, that your agent should jump in and say you could be there. Could you ever see yourself in a movie with Meryl Streep? If Anne Hathaway says no to the Devil Wears Prada?
Speaker 3: If I could be the Zombie Bears prog suit with Meryl, I could cope. So yes, but in the suit Okaye, as a person like I just can't cope with that.
Speaker 1: It is in you. I can see it happening. I have to ask you this question, is everyone get so has to be short and sweet? What is something from behind the scenes, something that we didn't see that we won't see, kind of a deleted moment from your experience of being on the mask singer.
Speaker 3: At the end of the episode last night, I sang I don't belong here, which I actually thought was quite fitting, and then I did a little bit of an Irish dance, a bit of a shutcher. It was just cut off, and I was like, you know what, that's absolutely fine, but that was very mean. You kind of see a little bit, but you don't get to see them. And I was like, I don't belong here because I like this. I went there and maybe I think I think the producer was like, oh, what did she do.
Speaker 1: No, they knew the Irish gig, they knew the Irish jig could give it away.
Speaker 2: They thought it was a clue, you know. They thought it was bad.
Speaker 1: I have loved chatting with you and like the rest of Australia, I will always be in your audience. I will be there for you after your Wiggles experience as a zombie.
Speaker 2: Whatever you want to.
Speaker 3: Do, you please please wait for Zombie and maryn Street and I'll let you know how it goes.
Speaker 2: There's money in that there's money in that chore. Your agent