Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: Flex and Fromes. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 3: It is not often we share the mic with anybody else because we love the sounds of her animosis. But every now and then there is someone so exceptional, so incredible, and so legendary that we have to do them justice and we have to do our civic duty to you all to ensure that we share the sweet truth of them. She is a zimbabwe And born Australian rays Los Angeles based singer, songwriter, artist, creative director.
Speaker 1: Everything great with the world.
Speaker 3: You might recognize her or her music from when she was literally fifteen, winning awards.
Speaker 1: All over your TV, all of your radio.
Speaker 3: While you were doing nish, she was making generational wealth. She is an ARIA Award winner, flum collaborator, k Trinada collaborator. Her name is TK Mizer and she's in the studio today.
Speaker 1: Give it up for t K.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna need you to do that every day.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you're here. Everything feels right within the world. Before we turn this conversation into a catch up, we have to talk about the new album, Sweet Justice.
Speaker 1: What's it about.
Speaker 4: It's like a synopsis, snapshot Diary of my state of mind after I let go of so many friends and I took a break from writing music because I really needed to heal internally and just get back to ground zero in terms of like who I was. And then when I went from like pouring me and turned into like, oh my god, what's next, That's when I started making these songs and they're like empowering songs about what if it's fine if I'm single, what if it's fine if I'm angry, Like it's just like championing that like homecoming of coming back to yourself.
Speaker 3: Did you feel any kind of way about making something so personal the subject matter of your music.
Speaker 4: No, Because I feel feel like I'm at that age where people start to speak out about their experiences and it's real, and for me, it's not performative or anything. And that was like the next chapter of what I wanted to talk about.
Speaker 3: And you and I are quite spiritual people, and we've made a considered effort to let that be a thing that's not secretive, right, Like you know, it takes a certain amount of courage and a certain amount of self assuredness to let that hidden secret or shadow side that you have becomes something that everybody can participate in and look onto. What have been the positives of sharing that side of yourself and what has been the negatives of it.
Speaker 4: I feel like it makes me feel e validates me in terms of being a real person. I think there's always a misconception that I'm just like silly and always having fun and there's something like these going on in my head. So I think when people hear that, you know, the common stories about women in the music industry or just being a woman in general, and I'm like, oh, yeah, that happened to me too, Everyone's like whoa. And then it's like, but I recovered and came out of it and I'm happy, and they're like how. I'm like, because spirituality and I believe in something beyond me, and that's what I speak to when I'm looking for something, you know, when I want help.
Speaker 2: What was that process like, tak going from feeling like you've got this image where you are like quite easy and fun to stepping into I guess like your power as a woman.
Speaker 4: For me, it was listening to a lot of podcasts like I think, I mean, I used to listen to flex Once you had a different podcast and just a lot of like minded people and when you understand when you just learn like the language and the way people speak, and seeing that it's not like a taboo or something that should be secreted. I feel like I found the words and the way to speak. I think it's just from learning and analyzing people and reading about psychology that I was like, Oh, now I can finally put words to these emotions and like these moments that I'm experiencing.
Speaker 3: Funny about the power of communication. I think they get stuck in Oh, I need to express myself. But if you don't have the right words, then you can't articulate yourself, And if you're dealing with people who can't comprehend what you're saying, then you get stuck in this loop where your evolution is stagnant, and then how you can show up for yourself and others also stagnate. Yeah, I wanted to quickly talk about the collaboration process, because you're speaking about things that are inherently about you, but also in that process you're collaborating with other artists, like you work with k Trinada.
Speaker 1: What's that like?
Speaker 4: It was so fun Like I feel like even like including everyone else that worked on the album. They're all like Silent Assassins, which is a song that I had with Flume, Like they all are really quiet. If you get to know them, they open up like a lot. And I feel like the most important thing when it came to befriending someone like ha Shanado was just showing him that I make mistakes, some awkward like the session might be the worst session, or we will start an idea, and I feel like he was d I kind of open to that, like he was like, oh, it was just kind of silly. Before I went into the studio with him, I kept seeing him at parties like so many times, so that was kind of my end. But the thing I wanted to like reinforce was I just like running into you at a party, like we don't have to work. And it was almost like a year and a half later that it finally happened, but it was running into him, and then we played a festival tour together and he's just like, oh, she must be like a real person if I keep seeing it.
Speaker 1: He thought you a background character.
Speaker 4: And one year later and then now I'm playing a festival in Australia and she's here again, like she's not some girl being like, hey listen to my demos.
Speaker 3: Yeah literally, though literally, we have this series called flex and for Rooms as Rules for Life, where we just say what we think the rules for our own existence should be. And then a byproduct is if you align with us and you want to live in a similar way, then follow along. And I was thinking, because you've been through this huge transformation, you probably learned at least five things about femininity and rebirth and you know, things breaking down and friendships and womanhood and.
Speaker 1: All of these things. So I thought, if you can.
Speaker 3: Come through with a couple I don't know, words of wisdom, nuggetsive truth, feedback or advice that would be sick.
Speaker 4: Yes, let's start, okay, So my first one is when I mean a few sense like a feeling of anxiety and something needs to change, Like if you feel stagnant, it's likely probably about to change, Like things are probably about the change, And that's definitely your spirit saying wake up, babes. If you don't wake up, it's going to crumble on you or you have to like get the backup plan to recover because regardless something what you knew before is when.
Speaker 1: The plays are real.
Speaker 3: The calm before the storm. Everyone said, HM doesn't ring a bell, and it doesn't ring about But.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I definitely remember before I had this like six month break off when I didn't write anything. I was just like, I just know that whatever I need next, there has to be some big shift. And the big shift was I probably lost like ten friends.
Speaker 1: But yo, all right, well that'll do it. That'll do it.
Speaker 4: And the other one is just follow your bliss. If it doesn't make you happy, don't do it because at the end of the day, you're going home by yourself. You have to deal with the feelings of why did I do that today? So do what is exciting to you.
Speaker 1: It's real.
Speaker 3: And like I said before, Tika has been in this industry and she's technically been a superstar for ten whole years since she was fifteen.
Speaker 1: I said it before. While you're at home doing.
Speaker 3: This, she was making bags, making money, winning awards.
Speaker 1: Give me your next three rules true wisdoms.
Speaker 4: When everything is going to trash, I would say the number one is check your health. Are you eating good, are you drinking water? Have you gone outside? And then see how you feel after. I feel like most of the times when I'm panicking is because I'm just not in my like right health. So just the basic necessities.
Speaker 1: People hate to hear it.
Speaker 3: They hate to hear it. This is what I mean basic necessity. When things are crumbling, there's.
Speaker 2: Given an era of like getting up and having ten minutes of sunlight.
Speaker 1: It worked. When people hate hearing this.
Speaker 4: My boyfriend would be like, oh my god, I'm spiraling, and I'm like, you haven't left your apartment in three days, Like I know that, go outside, go outside, And it has to say.
Speaker 3: But it's also why you need fireside in your life, because they're just gonna have to clip you a little bit when you feel like you're at your lowest.
Speaker 1: But it's all for your self betterment.
Speaker 4: Leo, that's the crazy thing.
Speaker 1: Babes, give me the rest of the chart, not now, reveal.
Speaker 3: The chart.
Speaker 4: The otherall. Trust your opinion firstly and foremost. Because also it's kind of similar to the one of the last ones I said, no one knows exactly where you're coming from, like completely, and only you know what's right for you, and you're going to be happier if you fail from your ideas as opposed to failing from what someone told you to do per.
Speaker 3: Facts, and this is the kind of wisdom you only get from living and doing. You can't podcast your way into this one.
Speaker 4: I literally just from myself. I mean, flex has heard me say this. I'm Captain Jack Sparrow, like I'm always stumbling and running and like stumbling, and then I'm on a boat and then I fowl in the water, and then I'm I'd imagine stumbling again, And.
Speaker 1: That's what it's about.
Speaker 3: Would you rather feel like you're on steady ground but feel like abum in every sense of the word, or make a few mistakes and have a few wins.
Speaker 4: I would rather make mistakes at least I tried.
Speaker 1: You know, one more.
Speaker 4: My last one, which is a lesson I learned from a tennis coach, was trying to return every ball, or in other words, try and show up as much as you can, because then you're turning the ball to someone else's court. It could be to a boss, to the universe, and then you can find out what happens next. If you don't return the ball or even try to run for it, how do you know what's going to happen? You didn't do anything. I know.
Speaker 2: It's like sending texts. In the emails, I'm like, please just take it for a little while, don't make me reply straight on, just reply.
Speaker 4: But you're so much better place than you were before. You're like one step forward. Whether it's like a very annoying email chain, which.
Speaker 1: This is true, one step ahead.
Speaker 2: Oh look, TK, thank you so much for coming to chat with us. Your Lady Out of Luck is out now and your new album Sweet Justice is out November third. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: TK.
Speaker 1: Stream TK.
Speaker 4: Let me guy.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Flex and Fruit it was Daily podcast. For more, tune in de Cat on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.