Speaker 1: I don't know if you guys have seen this. There's a list going viral at the moment, and an Australian woman going viral at the moment. Fourth said list. Now, her name is Ellie Gonzalvez, and she has decided to very kindly put a list together of all the reasons she does not want to have children. She shared this list Now there is one hundred and seventeen hundred and eighteen reasons. Some are very serious I shouldn't laugh, and some are very funny. But it's gone viral because some of them are like the baby could pooh inside you like this are some of the reasons that, to be cleare the baby could pooh inside and that is a valid reason.
Speaker 2: Number thirty six children are noisy. Like There's a lot going on in this list. So we've got her to join us on the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wanted to ask you some questions, Ellie. Welcome to the pick up.
Speaker 3: Ellie. Hey, guys, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Ellie, how did you get around to actually putting this list together? And why did you release it? Because I understand you know, I've always been on the cusp of do I don't I want kids? But I've never thought I'm going to write every single reason down and release it to the public.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, for years people ask me, they're like, you know, do you want kids?
Speaker 4: When are you having kids?
Speaker 3: Like literally since I was ten years old. So I just ended up writing a full list of all the stupid, ridiculous and also serious things down to just hand to people now to be like, this is why I'm not having kids, and it just seems to go over people's heads. And I'm just like, I'm so sick of the question. And I think there's such a double standard in terms of the response that I get back from people saying that I don't want kids instead of saying I do want kids, people who are very agreeable, but you know when I say that I don't want them, people are just like they're like the homophobic parents that the gay person comes out to that try to change you, like totally, it's very real. They try and convert you. And I have no interest in sitting at a barbecue for four hours talking to someone about having children.
Speaker 4: It's really funny because no one would ever say to someone who says they want kids, wellbably shouldn't. You probably should think about that and not having it like that. No one ever gets the criticism the opposite way. How has the response been to this list? I mean, you went very public with it. It's obviously gone viral. How like, what has been the feedback?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean like it was never intended to be posted. That's what I've said previously. Like a friend of mine took my list because he loves it and he doesn't want children, and he's like, oh, I got really clucky, reverted to the list, and now I don't want kids again. I up posting that on my stories, like that screenshot, and he thought it was hilarious. And then everyone's like, can you send us, like we want to see the list? So I was like, okay, well, like let's post it.
Speaker 2: It's real.
Speaker 3: It's like that's why there's just so many things in there that's wild. But I just wanted to be completely honest and transparent about like all of these actual facts. Some people say they're not facts, they're actual facts. Google them, look them up.
Speaker 1: But is you'll never have fun again for the rest of your existence.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's that. Do you know what though subjective? That one's subjective?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Why Laura, can you connect to any of these because you're a mum, you've had two kids. I mean, like, can you relate to any or my Yeah.
Speaker 4: I read through the list and I was like, pretty much ninety nine percent of these I relate to. Still happy, I have my kids, love my kids to like so much, and I feel like you always have to kind of have that caveat. But I'm like, you have to, oh yeah, pood myself in front of people, lost all my hair. Kids can be rude. I make food and they never eat it. I was like, I actually really relate face swelling, body swelling. I was like clogged milk ducks, literally everything that's on this list. I'm like, I've lift this. How am I still here?
Speaker 1: Ellie?
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: I just froze my eggs. And I saw this list and I was like, oh, maybe I should be deef frusted, thosed, but like chack them in the bin? H maybe so, well.
Speaker 3: Look at least at least you're well informed. But I mean the response to everything was actually really wild. I was never expecting it to go as internationally viral as what it did. I thought, you know, a couple of hundred comments on Instagram. Won't get picked up, but literally went everywhere. I think the reason why people are so upset is because it's just so honest and real, and nobody is used to hearing real honesty these days, unfortunately, because everyone is so afraid of being canceled. And I think when it comes to this, like having a voice and being as confident about what I say and how it all comes across, because it's like my reason, it's not reasons to not have kids for other people. It's just generally my reason.
Speaker 4: Do you know what, You've got one point two million followers, and so this obviously spreads so wildly because you have that engagement. But I also think, and I say this as a mum who's someone who I love being a mum. It was never something that I thought I wanted for myself, but now that I am a mum, I'm like, this is incredible. But I think that it makes a lot of people feel maybe a bit insecure about their choices. It makes people go like like, oh, well, you're saying my life is crap. You know, you're saying my life is not is not fun, or that I, you know, haven't made the right choices because you wouldn't and it's like, we just need to stop taking things so personally, if you don't want to have kids, it doesn't in any way affect the fact that I've had them and I love it, like we can all live very different lives and be respectful of each other. For me, being a mum's the best thing ever. But there's no part of me that wants me to go. You're making the bad decision. You're not making the right one for you, because everyone's lives are.
Speaker 3: Different, exactly, and I think people also forget it's always the people who have kids that say not to have kids.
Speaker 4: So true, being honest with you, we.
Speaker 2: Love it all right, Ellie. Great to have you on and keep adding to that list. Post in another year and you've got another hundred points on it.
Speaker 3: Oh mate, it's already doubled.
Speaker 2: Yeah, imagine all right on the peak up back after this