Speaker 1: Christ Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell show podcast. Again. You assigned to it because we getting into Team Wolf. Jack had never seen it before. It's a child of the nineties. Somewhat yesterday watched Teen Wolf. I watched it again. I remembered how much I loved it back when the only way you saw a movie, which was on the eighties, was in a theater with a load of your mates and other people. And it was amazing experience. Because now you're streaming it. You know, you watch movies and TV shows and you're separate from that and when you see When I saw Teamore for the first time, I do remember some of the iconic scenes, not things the scenes, but I remember everyone laughing, all the gasp at some revelation, the same science of a team Wolf. There were so many moments in that movie. Watching it again, many many years later, I'm like, I remember what that got In the cinema.
Speaker 2: It used to be much more of a collective experience.
Speaker 1: I used to love going to the cinema. There's been so much hype about it and you finally got to see it, and you weren't you think about it. You couldn't even see it trailer on your phone or on YouTube or on you know, Instagram. It was like a really bigger moment to go to the cinema. So Teen Wolf was a big thing for me. I loved Michael J. Fox in Back to the Future, so he followed up within the same I think was six months later Teen Wolf came out or what did you think? Watching it with different eyes? Now?
Speaker 2: Bianka and I both watched it, and despite some obvious weaknesses throughout the movie, we actually really enjoyed Teen Wolf.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some of it stands up really well. Other bits don't. Obviously it's a dated movie.
Speaker 2: But overall, where it deviated from all the other eighties films I've been watching, which have one thing in common completely slow, Teen Wolf was well paced. He starts turning into the wolf straight away, the teen Wolf.
Speaker 1: They gave you the teen Wolf, that's what you're there.
Speaker 2: First eighties movies would spend half an hour setting up He's just a normal high school kid playing basketball. Then he starts turning into a wolf. Love that he started turning into a wolf straight away, And then it kind of surprised me because I thought it was going to be an ELpH Man situation. Where the whole school teased him and he was an outcast. They loved the wolf.
Speaker 1: No, they weren't shut behind us so much so. Do you remember the first basketball game where imagine if you're you're watching a kid playing a basketball game, and what of the kids a child turns into a flipping wolf. Doctor, he's turning into a wolf. They just look at him. The referee disc goes, okay, let's play ball.
Speaker 2: You gotta ge him a nursele, an ambulance and elite at the bare minimum, stop the game and find out what's going on.
Speaker 1: One of that is turn into a wolf. Shot. He's even against the rules and regulations of the game of basketball. You can't faild a team at a high school game where one of you is a half boy, half wolf.
Speaker 2: That's what we couldn't understand about the universe where Team Wolf is set. Is it meant to be that were wolfs are known about and more common. Because there was a bit of head turning, but for the most part, people just accepted he was a wolf.
Speaker 1: Within a couple of game, they're all doing the chart. There's no kind of he's different to us. And the whole thing about when he realizes the big sort of the big moment that got the big gass in the cinema, which no one saw come was when you realize his old man is also part human part wolf. Shocked me. This bit an explanation is probably long overdo. Before you go any further, right, you need to listen to two different things here right imagine I can only imagine it now and I watch it again. Yes, there's a dad. If one of my kids came to me and they'd realized that I was a wolf as well, you know that there'd be a lot of drama there, the shame that I passed it on. Listen to his old man. It's literally like it's not a big deal that his son is just realized he's actually a wolf. And wait, you're also a dad wolf. And listen to his old man. He's so um drum. An explanation is probably long overdo. An explanation, Jesus Christ, just look at me, Look at you. It's not as bad as it looks. You knew about this. You knew about this, and you didn't tell me. I was hoping I wouldn't have to the rehearsal. I was hoping I would pass you by. Well, dad. It didn't pass me by. It landed on my face. What the hell am I going to do the next day? Right? His dad? You think you go, hey, you know this is a lot forew We're gonna with some counselors.
Speaker 2: Don't go to school today. We've got to discuss this.
Speaker 1: People will judge you, son. That's in the world, right. He just gives him a steam of.
Speaker 2: That's it and says, you seemed a bit upset last night.
Speaker 1: You took it hard about the fact you've had I'm a wealth and you're now going to live off as a half boy. Christian Connell's show podcast, we'll get into a classic eighties movie and as we are stuck indoors at the moment, I cannot recommend enough. Even if you're not Charlie eighties, do you I have a favor of this weekend watched Team Wolf. It actually cheered me up yesterday. It made me smile. There are quite a few sort of well worn, sort of eighties movie cliches that are there that are funny. Some bit of its of it are actually quite pure and sweet. There are some bits that age really badly, but it's a treat yep. All of it so yeah, I can't really. Did you watch it on Stan? Yes?
Speaker 2: You can stream it on Stan. I loved his best friend is a guy called Styles.
Speaker 1: How old was that actor? Right? Because obviously Michael J. Fox, all right, you're a high school kid's mate. Styles could have played Michael J. Fox's dad. Seriously, who's a flipping proper man high school buddy? Styles? Great characters.
Speaker 2: Didn't you want a friend?
Speaker 1: Yes? I still want a mate like Style?
Speaker 2: Who is the party master? And the parties that they made they had in the eighties looked incredible and were.
Speaker 1: Like no eighties party I went to as a teenager or any of us. There were always some heightened state like a utopia, weren't they? Of like it was all about kegs of beer, and in fact there's one. But when Michael J. Fox finds out that he can at will transform into a werewolf, of course, what would you do with that kind of superpower? Oh? Wait, go and get underage beer? Listen, no idea, No goddamn beer. Can't you get that through your six skull? Give me a kick off beer I got off? That'd be the very next thing. I wait, guys, guys, listen, I know it's all good with the Harry palms and stuff like that, but I can get a beer. It's actually there's got a lot to it for you guys. Bonuses. The other big scene in the movie watching this in the cinema was when he did the van surfing. Was terrible watching it yesterday. It was how many thirty two backflips in the wine slow motion? As well? Man, we got to find the wheels. We got some good tunes and a total disregard for public safety. You're right, okay, go's a teenager. Everyone watching get Down?
Speaker 2: He does up there and riding away a handstand from do you know in real life?
Speaker 1: Who did those? By the way, the same actor that played his mate styles much grown up he was, Yeah, they didn't need a stuntman he did that. Yeah, I couldn't believe when I found it out. The other thing that is amazing and got a big reaction at the time the scene where Michael J. Fox right loses his how can I put this? He loses his boyhood and enters manhood.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, bacehood really because he's becomes easy what we're way, This is the most concerning part.
Speaker 1: So watching it back, you're like, okay, so she's kind of excited that he's he's now for wolf and they're about to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she doesn't want to do it with Scott. She wants to do.
Speaker 1: I guess it's a thing now, isn't it. She's into wolf fun all right. When he he howls, he hows you are in Animal, he hows he's lost as Cherry. Imagine that happened in real life to teenagers. I think it'd be a great kind of wrinkle. You'd know. I'd know if there's someone going to my house, stop that. Now, get out of my house, Get out, Sarah. Did you hear him howling? He was helping that scene her at the time. We're like and everyone laughed at the same time. It's an amazing scene, this moment you are animal, he's a wolf. One final thing right for a movie which is kind of come into age movie, it's also a sports movie as well. The sports stuff basketball is the worst basketball scenes you've ever seen in a sports movie or any basketball movie.
Speaker 2: The basketball stuff is where it lost me. It was ridiculous. So there, before he becomes a wolf, they suck at basketball. They lose by seventy points. They're the worst team in the town. He becomes a wolf for some reason. That means he's the new Michael Jordan. He's the best player on the team. They win, they make it all the way to the championship.
Speaker 1: At one point, he grabs the ball off one of his teammates. What I know they used to have and go at like Michael Jordan being selfish.
Speaker 2: This is what I hated about the film. So the final scene is he comes to the basketball stadium and says, you know what, I'm not the wolf anymore. That's not me. We got to play as ourselves. The wolf isn't here today.
Speaker 1: This is a message of the movie about whoever you are, however you are self accepted.
Speaker 2: Yes, but what there's no reason why now they should be good. So they go on to win the game, but they suck and they lost by seven.
Speaker 1: Stand I don't play basketball, but I know right, you don't dribble by staring at the floor. How did he ever know whether who was or his teammates were, And now one's grabbing off the wrong person. He's looking at the floor the.
Speaker 2: Whole time they dribbling in their shooting. Yes, said that they've never really played. None of the actors had played basketball before, so it's meant to be a big climax.
Speaker 1: Like Michael J. Fox, even in if you said right, he said them beforehand, right, this is all great. Look I'm not really very good, so I probably do like a couple of weeks, you know, like a boot camp. They don't don't worry about it, We'll fix it all up. What Rob Low did a great eighties movie called Young Blood where he's a hockey player, and he never played hockey, so he had to do a six week intensive boot camp, so at least looked a bit legit. Michael J. Fox and it shows did nothing, nor did this. It's like they'd never actually played basketball. I read a quote from the director of the movie. He said in a vault Buried Away, it's an hour of a worse basketball footage you've ever seen the outtakes, which he said maybe one day when he's about to die, going to release it.
Speaker 2: Actually looks like he's shooting with his wrong arms. And you know when kids shoot and they have to lean back to get enough energy to propel the ball far up through the air.
Speaker 1: That's his shooting stuff.
Speaker 2: What I hated this during the last game and you're wondering is the team gonna win now that he's not the Wolf anymore? And there's a big montage of the game. They're playing a song that's called win in the End. I'm gonna win in the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is it. The music in it is terrible, by the way, isn't it most eighties movie I had great songs like Breakfast Clubs in my Mind's this my heavy message with Kits, isn't it. It's not gonna take him by nine eighties?
Speaker 2: Win it and it takes away all the mistique about are they gonna win? Well, it's right there in the montague.
Speaker 1: Mark's out of ten for team Wolves.
Speaker 2: Seven out of ten for Team Wolf.
Speaker 1: Great. I would recommend this weekend stream it on stamp. This is the Christian o'connells Show podcast