Speaker 1: Hey, legends, welcome back to the Mason Cock Show. Plenty going on this week, the Adelaide Game thriller and the Goggle Snatcher. Yes, we talk about that. We've got the Swans and Gold Coast big wins over the weekend, Adam Simpson's feel a little bit of pressure, and we've got Gary rowan determinator. Yes, we'll go and tell a little bit more. But before we go into all that, there is some exciting news.
Speaker 2: We have finally launched the March.
Speaker 1: Yes, so many people have been in the DMS telling us when's this happening. You keep teasing us what's going on. It's finally happened. The Carlton Draft. It's in our link. We're gonna put it out there. It's absolutely epic, and the best thing about it, we're giving it to you pretty much as cheap as we could. We are not really making anything from this. We just want to get as much gear out to the public as possible, so you gotta check it out. It will not be cheaper than it is right now. And we're doing a special special icon or logo just for you people. I've been here since the beginning the ogs. You get this special special deal and it's only for two weeks, so you gotta check it out. It's out there for two weeks. Special price, special logo. It's amazing. Check it out, go see it. I want to see someone wearing our gear. How cool will that be?
Speaker 2: Special Price for special people, My special price for special people. Love it.
Speaker 1: Without further ado, we'll get into the podcast starting now. All right, without further ado, let's get into it. Welcome Brighton, get a miss.
Speaker 2: You'll never guess what I was doing over the weekend. Unfortunately, I spent most of the weekend in a New South Wales police station giving evidence. What Yeah, I was saving this for the podcast unfortunately. Sorry. Yeah, I was one of the witnesses to a murder over the weekend of Sydney against West Coast at the SCG Oh my god. They were crushed harder than the Titan mace. It was. It was I felt bad watching it, but it was like one of those car crashes that you couldn't look away anyway, I digress. Let's get into the clanger of the week. I had to go on there for a bit, didn't that You had?
Speaker 1: You reeled me in, you reeled me and it was such a murder scene that they had to push back the Freemantle lesson game by about five or times.
Speaker 2: It was rough Mace, But we'll get into it. Let's jump into the clanger of the week and this one. I don't know, there's some I got a tiptoe a bit around this because it's a bit sensitive. But Gary Rowan, now I know he didn't do it on purpose, but he's had a rough couple of weeks. So one he takes out Paddy Dangerfield coming back for his first game, punctured lung, broken ribs, got to drive back from Adelaide. Rough, right, Jeremy Cameron, We're not going to do jess to watch this week. Numbers were a little low. Moore prayers up this week if they were on opposite teams. This is cut and dry. Six weeks six weeks. Well, he runs Alexa bump if we were looking at it from like an MRO tribunal type of thing, turns his body, drops his shoulder, jumps off the ground, hits him right in the head out like a light goes to hospital. You know, they're all the the scary scenes, hallmarks of a lot of weeks on the sidelines. Unfortunately, like it seems rattled gas a little bit. According to his coach Chris Scott.
Speaker 1: Does would knocking out a teammate and seen him on the ground like that, take a little bit of a mental tour on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah, it was pretty gruesome, and he kind of stayed with him until the stretcher came out. He went on from that moment, and credit to him to have an amazing game, like a really amazing game, probably one of the best on, if not the best on kicked a few goals, was good, getting out the back, used his speed. Now, if he could just tweak his game to stop killing teammates, he's like, oh, they you know, straight to the moon, So maybe hold back. Not a clanger in the way that it's like we normally give clangers, like you're an idiot, you're stuffed up. This is more like unfortunate set of circumstances.
Speaker 1: He goes hard at the ball and I respect that, and sometimes there's going to be a collateral damage in the fire line, and that's just unfortunately been back to back weeks four.
Speaker 2: Hey, we talked about your teammate and captain Heroic Captain Darcy Moore may may flail a bit flails a bit.
Speaker 1: Him and Nathan Murphy, they are one oh one. They are the people if you're get injured from someone, those are the two you're looking at.
Speaker 2: So there's there's just some blokes out there that you know, cause teammate on teammate injuries. Just reel it back in.
Speaker 1: You can do that, mate, Your gold guys keep doing anything, mate, it's just unfortunate for two weeks ago.
Speaker 2: Keep doing his thing.
Speaker 1: We move on, Brandon, we move on. We're gonna go to my cleaner in the week and not footy related whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Now this really got me. We're going back to cricket because your cricket got Everyone was up in arms about you defending Ollie Robinson, the English player. Well it didn't work out for him, did it. Tuck Smack, who get the win? Mate?
Speaker 1: Tuck Smack got silenced and they got the loss. But my cleaner of the week is gonna go to It's a bit of a duel here the AMEX and ticket Tech website.
Speaker 2: Why may you ask Taylor Swift tickets. I'm trying to get them. I'm trying to get into the queue.
Speaker 1: I think there's four times as many people trying to get tickets as there are out there, and I'm trying to be first and best dressed. Unfortunately couldn't do it because the website didn't f and work. So I'm sitting here for hours on end on my day off, going t Swift. It's gonna happen, following us to your life, big mcg It's gonna be a hell of a night. Nope, they gotta f up the stupid website and now we're all missing out because you can't figure shit out. As if it wasn't gonna be blowing out? Are you kidding me? It's Taylor fucking Swift.
Speaker 2: This stuff seems to happen often with these ticket websites, Like maybe investibit of your money back into your website.
Speaker 1: You gotta realize there's going to be at least a million people coming on your website that day, at least.
Speaker 2: To be fair, Amex probably doesn't have a lot of money to spare on their website upgrade servers and stuff, skimp out on it, so it's a bit rough. Amex, if you want to come on as a sponsor, will.
Speaker 1: Help you build your brand back up from this telscope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the PR disaster that is the Taylor Swift. That will help with the rebrand. Taylor Swift, I didn't know that you're a swifty, huge swifty. What's your what's your favorite? If you're in the car and you've got to put on three songs back to back to back.
Speaker 1: I want to go to the Red album. But my favorite song is Karma.
Speaker 2: I do like that one.
Speaker 1: It's good, a real good.
Speaker 2: I feel like, don't come at me Swifties. They come at you, they catch hard. But a lot of her songs are kind of like in the same mold, and it's that she does well to get it into your head, but a lot of similarities. It great.
Speaker 1: I'm going to cut you there before we get canceled. We're going to move on to the footy. Who got long versus Melbourne now Geelong gm HbA. The better the fortress. You best believe they held strong and got the w over the weekend.
Speaker 2: Lucky we got that Collingwood game later in the in the weekend, because I feel like with these by periods where we only get the one maybe two good games for the weekend, and I thought this was like our one and done, this Geelong Melbourne game, so lucky. The Collingwood game came along unfortunately. Yeah, Jazz knocked out cold. He posted a little update on his farm starting to bonfire. He's got a new cruise around jeep that he bush bashes around the farm on, so he's back up and you know, getting about. So that's we love to see that. I'd love to see Jazz. We'll park the Jazz watch for until he's going to be out next week obviously, but he'll like, yeah, he'll I'm no doubt he'll be back. He's got he's got some competition for the Coleman which we'll get into soon. But how did you see this match panning out? Because it's quite close. It was close to the whole thing.
Speaker 1: I think it was the last what ten minutes there is five goals by Geelong. They kind of took over the game and really took out there. Yeah, and like I said before, I think this gm HbA thing, like they play their grounds so well and it's a very very tough ask, a lot skinnier ground than the MCG and they've got a good game plan for how to get w's down there and done in Geelong. And yeah, it's a great time. I mean, you have Jesse go down. You have Paddy Dansfield's out. You know, you have some big, you know, experienced key players that have not been playing at the time. And Joel No, Joel obviously retired so that you know, that's tough to be playing while you were retired, Brod and so no, it was it was a good win for probably a team that didn't have the most experienced players playing. And that's good science for Gelong in the future. And we're going to go into who's going to make my top eight and I reckon Geelong they're making the cut.
Speaker 2: So with all those guys out, I reckon their average age would have been right down to maybe like even thirty one or thirty two. We had Tommy Stewart. Now he got in a little bit of strife, which I thought was a bit over the top. Now, I don't know. The media and the fans don't like to overreact to much. They just call it as they see it, and it's straight down the line. We had Jack Viney looked like he hurt his shoulder or his collar bone and he was down, but it was in a contest with Tom Stewart, and then Tom Stewart pushes him down to the ground. My own personal opinion, I don't think that he knew that he was hurt.
Speaker 1: Nah, I don't think so either.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what everyone was getting on him to be like, oh, you're pushing an injured player, mate, Like.
Speaker 1: What happens in the moment. It's tough to determine an i'd serious injury, all that kind of stuff. Man, it's a move on. It's a move on.
Speaker 2: We give him the move on and the GMHBA. This is what I wanted to ask you. How like Fortress, Yes, but I don't like watching games from there because half the stadium's not Billy. It does look a bit ship, but it has to for them to be able to make it look better. Yeah, well, maybe park it and take her up the road. They got this little stadium up in the Melbourne town called the mcgah. You could just play there or whenever you want. I thought Geelong Melbourne at the mcg would have been a river. It would have.
Speaker 1: But the thing is, that's not home ground advantage. You know, it's a different ground size everything else. And I said, they play there, but it is it doesn't look great if you get a certain camera angle and behind the goals. It just looks like a bit of an emptiness that should be filled and it will get there, don't get me wrong, but like all these construction things in Australia, they take a little bit longer than probably expected. They have renovated I think the locker room and a few things over there, and that is just first class staff there. You know, you've got the Sydney Swan's just redone theirs. Geelong has redone theirs recently. Like there's some you know they're finally getting into. I feel like that professional, you know, capabilities with your facilities to do some amazing things, and they're the standards are lifting year by year. Whenever club's like this, you know, redo theirs and make it better, and then the next hub's going we're going to beat them, and then the next lub is we're going to beat them. And it's it's looking like a Schmick place down there. They just need to fill the gap, you know, fill the gap, put up.
Speaker 2: Some tops or something. But I feel like the guy they always cut to, the bloke that's been asked to stay back, the construction worker. I don't even know if he's construction worker. He might just be a geelong fan with mates that work on the construction. It's like my best job ever throw the ball back. You'd be getting some good coin for that. I reckon, you know.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you a funny story. Back in college, my brother did this for answiss with me. But like they were renovating the football stadium. And I'm not saying anyone should do this, have to put that out there for legal reasons, do not do this, but I'll tell you a story. Yeah, they're really doing the football stadium. This is like hollow ground at college right at university and there's only like a few, you know, fences you might have to happen stance and get through right to jump over. And they jumped over two or three and they played like a flag football game in the middle of the stadium and no one even knew And it was like middle of the night and they played a flag football game with like I think it was like a light up football or something like that. And he said it was like an epic scenario and then they bounce and it was like no one ever knew what happened. So not saying like hypothetically you could do that at GM HbA, but if it was an opportunity and you weren't gonna get in trouble, I think it would be a great experience.
Speaker 2: Move on, mate, because we've got someone post game huge. They wanted to join the Goggle Gang. Try Reece Stanley. He said that he was having some eye issues, as we all do, and he tried the Mason Cox goggles. He quoted Mason Cox goggles branded by your Australia. Yeah, you've got to get some. You got to get stuck in some cheddar for that. But it started to make me think of like, these guys are going to be wanting to get into the Goggle Gang now. Obviously Brodie Grundy wears contacts because he couldn't see people's faces. Who were we talking about? There was someone last week players for Richmond that had no bolt. No a bolter can't see. It's like, so there's a lot of blokes out there that can't see a lot. You know.
Speaker 1: I think a few of them heard about the initiation to the Goggle Gang and they're a bit as you would be. You're a bit nervous. It's inxtensive, it's very extensive.
Speaker 2: We're gonna I feel like we're going to have to make public the key criteria to join the gang, and we'll put it out there obviously number one at the top of the list. You guys have to be fucked gotta have fuck eyes.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: So, I don't know, twenty twenty vision. Maybe we can do the AFL's best twenty two blind players.
Speaker 1: Gosh, I like this.
Speaker 2: There's got to be a coach out there that needs classes.
Speaker 1: There's plenty of them. There's plenty of them.
Speaker 2: There plenty of it.
Speaker 1: Let's move in to the next one, saying Kilda versus Brisbane. This is Spud's Game, the Game for mental Health. Great great initiative they're doing over there, and they had the you know, the game within the game of some of the celebrities that came.
Speaker 2: Down and played.
Speaker 1: And pretty awesome to see these kind of I guess initiatives happen throughout footy. We talk about freezing in d round, you know, we talk about the Rewalt Vision Round, we talk about this now. It's it's incredible to see kind of the you know, impact you can have by creating these things through initiatives and raise some you know, very important money for a great cost.
Speaker 2: And they do it so well. Every year come out form the circle cool in the middle of the ground and have some speeches and relate it back to Spud and it's great. But it's the difference that this will make even if you Everyone always says it, but even if you touch one life, it's a massive outcome, but it'll make a massive difference.
Speaker 1: I tell you one of my favorite Spud stories. Right, So I'm going on Fox Footy and Spud's there and we're doing some kind of promo thing before I go on to I think it was the Bounce RN And I'm on the stairs and he's like, oh, yeah, we'll do like a little you know, social clip of like you marking the ball and you know, I'll punch you out of your your hands.
Speaker 2: And I was like, okay, whatever, you know.
Speaker 1: And I'm sitting on there and I kid you, no, Spud, I'm sitting there and they throw the ball up. I go to mark and Spud just clips my ears, just full over the back of the head, punches the ball and I'm like, what the fuck dude.
Speaker 2: He's like, Oh, Mike, can't take big contact.
Speaker 1: Your message hear massage and the shit out of me. I was like, it kind of shocked me. I didn't know what to expect. I was like, oh, the golden fist. You know, there's the reason he was giving it out, So.
Speaker 2: The has to do it. Let's jump into the game because Rossie, our boy been under the weather, under the wall, had a bit of a flu going on, so he's got to sort that out. Didn't do any pre match interviews or anything, just sat up in the box ready to get that too. It's a good excuse for anyone in today's day, and as I've got a bit of the sniffles. But it was a big win, away win for Brisbane Lines to come down here and do what they do after. It's not the MCG, right, we'll get that one out of the way. It's not the MCG, it's Marvel Stadium, which they do have a pretty good record at Marvel Stadium.
Speaker 1: Did chatter on this this week about their record at Marvel Stadium compared to the MCG. Now into the statistics of it, one win the past fourteen games at the MCG, but at the Marvel Stadium won seven of the last eight, so you could say it is a fair difference between the two experiences.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I heard this stat reeled out over the weekend. I've got i think two different opinions on it, right, So this would have to be over the last couple of years. So the difference between teams that play at those stadiums, so you've got like North Melbourne haven't had you know, a stall a couple of years. You got like it would be like Saints and Essenon and those teams that are kind of thereabouts. Yeah, so I don't feel like like you can really read into it too much. And then the difference between how many times they play there where I think this year they play at Marvel like four times and it's like one time at the MCG. So it's like, how do you get form anywhere if you're only playing there one time?
Speaker 1: Sound like whenever we played Adelade, I think it was like the second time in like two years, and the other time they played US was sorry, the last time I played the MCG was against US like two years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah. See, and if you lose like your one game that you play there every ten years, Like imagine if you went down and played in Tazzy and then they could reel out the stat like oh shock and record at Tazzy never win there. You've lost one hundred percent of your games there. It's like, yeah, but we played once there back in like nineteen ninety six. Mate, Like, so yeah, I feel like they pluck out these stats to make it sound Figs was like, if we don't talk about it, it's not a thing. I think that's a great strategy. He's like, he's like, oh, people keep bringing up the mcg thing, it'll be a thing. But if we don't talk about it.
Speaker 1: He also helps her winning the MCG well. In this game, Hipwood kicked four, he's kicked in in the last three. We love a big man kicking snags.
Speaker 2: Especially because the partnership that he's up there with Danaher and Cameron, so he's a bit of third fiddle and he's he's a thorough out to split all the goals between the three of them, That's what I mean. Now, he's just well and truly out there in front of just being the big man smashing it.
Speaker 1: Man. It's good to see the big man getting the big jukes out and kicking some snags.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Another one person that's been going really well, Harris Andrews, big defensive man, captain of the club. It's good to see him just absolutely dominate. He's one of the best defenders in the league.
Speaker 2: At the start of the year when Robo put out he's twenty two and you critiqued it, you said, Harris Andrews needs to be in there, give the defenders some love. So you're happy with his progress to this point in the season. Yeah, of course he's interests.
Speaker 1: I say, I think he's one of the best defenders I've played against it in the lead a moment, so it's credit him. He's a really good lockdown defender. Comes across well, he's you know, can be you know, dominating in the air and really locked down that back line as leadership's massive form. So he's very important to that squad.
Speaker 2: Does take a good mock. He a bit. He annoys me a little when it hits the ground, and he's just a bit laconic, just a bit chill axed about the whole thing. Get a bit of it. I like the urgency, get the urgency about you. But we know you like your calming voice down back, so he must be that calming voice. One thing that I pulled out of this and I want to address it here on the podcast exclusive I caught the team song the Brisbane team SiGe, which I think is like the French nationalist France or something. But at the very end where they do like you hear the mighty raw and then they go whooa, yeah, why don't they raw? It just makes the most sense. And you said you hear the mighty raw. Ah, it's stupid. It's the dumbest that think about it for a second and then fix it. Because it's dumb. It is a good way to do it.
Speaker 1: And maybe they're going to catch on to this. Braidon Man, it's gonna be a thing either the mighty roar you just go now, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought it was stupid, So I'm just saying maybe tweaked.
Speaker 1: That good feedback from Bredon on the on the winning song.
Speaker 2: Huge.
Speaker 1: Well, another thing came out here. Stocker was reported for a dangerous tackle. We can't go into these things because the AFL Finals, so just a lot heads up everyone, so we'll move on to the next game. Swan's West Coast. Holy shit, I don't even know how to get into this. This is absurd. Just you feel bad.
Speaker 2: Well, it's real hard to say this player played well. That player played well because about twenty two of Sydney's players kicked four goals or more. It was a massacret and Nobuddy Buddy would have been sitting on the sidelines feature because he would have probably gone up to second on the all time goal kicking list if he had a play, well, they would have done a bit of you know, Bud, he's padded, could just clear it out and he gets the whole fifty to himself. But it wasn't to be. But it didn't matter because they had Isaac Heeney who kicked him in a burst. I reckon, but Isaac Heeney five goals, four would have had a real day, but he still got the bag. The bag by today's standards.
Speaker 1: Isaac in Yeah, that was you said. That was kind of pushing it there with that one. But yes, that's going to be my goal for old Isaac keene Have you.
Speaker 2: Seen many two hundred scores in your time in Australia.
Speaker 1: I've never seen two hundred score. This is the first time and I kind of whenever I looked at it, I was like, holy, I didn't know, like like what happened. I was kind of those moments and yeah, two hundred points is insane, Like I think it was like the oh what the biggest loss for West Coast in the history of their club. I think it was something around like the fifth there. I don't quote me on this, but it was like one of the largest like margins any ones ever won from in AFL history. It was up there.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: Rough.
Speaker 2: Now we got to drill down a little bit into this because obviously immense heat comes onto their coach, Adam Simpson, which if you unpack it and give it a little bit of context, surely, like the injuries kind of decimated the team. And then you've got a team like made up of like a Hodgepodger like guys they picked up in the mid season draft. You got some veterans that are like left over that have seen success and now they're coming back down to getting flogged every week by like one hundred points. And then you've got some guys coming through that are draftees and all of that stuff. Can we judge anything off like the team that they're fielding, Like, is the pressure justly on Adam Simpson? Does he need to figure something out? Like how do we assess what's going on?
Speaker 1: I mean, this is the way the media works and it's a circlicol thing, right, So if there's someone that's underperforming, who's the first person we go chopping heads out? It's the head coach. Now, it's been frustrating for me to see. I guess a lot of this criticism towards him because there's no one in this world that would be able to, you know, turn this team into, you know, being able to win some of these games because they just haven't had the people in the park. They've been just like their team has been decimated. So to put that kind of pressure on a head coach whenever it's almost out of his hands, it's it's frustrating to see.
Speaker 2: But I know this is how the media works.
Speaker 1: I know this is a very easy thing in the way they're going to take it after you know, you know, West Coast is a pride club. They want to see w's on the board and if they don't see that, they're going to get angry and they're going to start lynching people and trying to figure out who's going to be the person who get fired and all this kind of stuff. And it's always the head coach is the first person I look to. But I just can't see it being really his fault, if that makes sense, Like I think it's just the fact that there's been so many injuries. It's just it's impossible to purely blame him and say, you know, he's the reason that they're not going well. It's like it's a situation that's been taken out of his hands.
Speaker 2: So you've got a coach that you know can win a premiership because he's done it. If you asked everyone, would you sell the farm to have one crack at a flag and potentially see some more down years, but you have a flag, would you go for it? A lot of most people argue you would say yes. So if you say yes to that, then are you going okay, Well, there's inevitably going to be a big down period after that. Your coach that got you that success, does he deserve a chance to have a crack at that down period and up? Because most people assume by that point they're exhausted, they're done, they've got no inspiration, they've got no way of getting them out of this hole. Let's replace him and have this circuit breaker that everyone talks about one Who are you going to get in to replace that? That is a premiership credentialed coach that you know can do it. Most of the time it's off speculation. Now it's worked with someone like Fly because that's speculation. But most of the time it's like, who are you going to get in to fill that void? It could be catastrophically bad coming out of that, and then you could be stuck in a ten year hold. There's so many things that you can think about. But I feel like the easy thing is for everyone to say, Ah, sack the coach. But it's weird when he wants to be there, you know that he can win a flag, and people are still saying, sack the coach. But I feel like this is going to be their reality for a bit because they're going to have a whole bunch of these old premiership like favorites finish up and retire and they're going to be left with these kids. They're gonna have draft picks and they're really going to have to start again. So then they're gonna have to ask the question, do they start again with with their tried and tested and passionate coach Adam Simpson, or do they try their luck and try to find someone else.
Speaker 1: My hope is that he sees out the year, he gets another opportunity to coach next year, and they have a decent run of you know, positive injuries or no injuries, let's say, and then you judge them based off that, and then like you know, you make the decision there because I just think with injuries, man, like we've had this at Collingwood, Like we had a year where his injury after injury after injury, and like you're barely fielding a team out there on the park and that takes away so much of your capacity to win games. And you can't field a team like they have two people I think in the waff of at the moment, that's the Like they have twenty what five players that are healthy and that's it. It's like you're sitting there going mid season draft. That guy's probably gonna play within like a week or two and he's just literally walked into the club, isn't even know how you play, He's already pretty much gonna get picked. It's like insane to think that, but that's the situation there ends so like to sit there and judge someone based off that, I just I can't fathom that that would be the correct way.
Speaker 2: Of going about the circumstance. It can work positively too. I feel like Clarkson probably didn't want to leave Hawthorne and that kind of went down pretty messy in the end, But I feel like both teams came out of that with a positive outcome, Like Hawthorne have showed really positive signs with Sam Mitchell and North have shown really positive signs with Klarko and you know, some caretaker coaches, So there is some upside to be had there now. I this was something that was brought up throughout the week that it's maybe the game plan because you're just bringing in guys from mid season draft, you got like kids coming through, and then you've got the seniors, Like, maybe the game plan is just unachievable at this point in time with the guys that you have to send out there. Is it worth just going no game plan or let's play on instinct or or just setting them like one goal for the week, Like how how would you kind of go about it?
Speaker 1: Oh, from a guy that's got pretty much zero experience coaching, No, it's.
Speaker 2: But from a players point of view, like you would know if the coach.
Speaker 1: Said the baby out of the bathwater, right I don't think you just start from scratch like that's that's crazy because most of the people that are playing in that game or in that team, you know, we're going through the preseason of learning this, you know, style of play and all like our stuff, no matter what their age is, right, So most people are on this game plan. Whether you tweak a few things and say, look, you know, we're just gonna play forward footy now and if we get a chance kick it forward, we're gonna take territory. We're just gonna lock it in as long as we can to try to give us the best chance of scoring and keep them from being in our half. Right, maybe it's something like that, I'm not really sure, and you just take the gamble to say, look, we're gonna back in contest going forward, or maybe you say, you know what, like we're gonna take a bit of the sting out of the game, We're gonna switch the ball a lot, we're gonna do a lot on contested marks. Whoever it might be, but you do you have to have a guidance if you are going to change things, like, you have to have a guidance that overarches everything. Right, It's like a style of play though over core plan. Yeah, like a core plan where everyone's on the same page of how you want to play. Yes, you can tweak a few things here and there, but like you need to have a style of play that everyone can revert back to to know that that is your DNA for the week.
Speaker 2: Coach Cox. I like it, well, Coach Cox, So let's jump into the next game. Free oh, sendon. I feel like this was the most out of We don't get many predictable games like especially not this year, but Freo v esenon Essendon going across the Perth the verse free Mantle, and I feel like it turned out the way that it should have now. Freo should have done that to Richmond a couple of weeks ago and they wouldn't be in a little bit of a hole. But now they've dug themselves out a little bit with this win over Essendon. Comfortable win in the end, what twenty eight points. Luke Jackson back to form kicking three goals. It helps when they've got a ruckman and he can push forward.
Speaker 1: Very very important for their team, and him coming back kind of settled them, I think. And another person wants shout out five he found a five being back every week. We musta shout this guy out. Such a dude. I love watching him players, all my favorite players to watch play. Just goes hard at it and he's clean. Oh, it's so good to watch.
Speaker 2: Well, it was good to see Walters up and about. He's started to play some really good footing and get back into consistent forms after signing a two year deal. So it's great to see him out there. And they're too, kind of the future stars the current stars, but you know future superstars Sarong and Brayshaw, future leaders of them, of that team. Yeah, they're taken over now. So yeah, it was good to see. I think both of them got mid thirties and just another day after them. Yeah, it was a good game. But you know, if not predictable now gold Coast Hawthorne, this was the win that gold Coast needed to have and it was a little disappointing for Hawthorne, who's strung together a bit of good form, but gold Coast doing it pretty comprehensively.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they got the w up there and it's not called metro Con anymore. Whatever it is, we'll be there next week. But yeah, I think it was it was tough for Hawthorn. I was like, oh man, we've been mentioning this every single week ever since the Tazzy news came out. They were like, you know, we're showing up. You know, we're going to make sure that we're staying in this thing. So gold Coast is just too good at the end of the day, and they've been playing some really decent football. So it's going to be a great challenge for us coming up against them this week up there at their home ground. And yeah, gold Coast keeps their finals alive. They're right on the edge that eight. They're right in there, and I think, oh, I'm just going to say it and make them on top eight.
Speaker 2: Braiden. We've already locked them in in previous weeks, so they're a lock. So you've got three other slots to fill of that bottom four of the top eight. But we'll get to that. Bailey Humphrey, now I don't know if you saw this incident, but he had a snap out of congestion and it went through for a goal and they were before they could even start to signal that they were going upstairs to the big guy. Bailey Humphrey was, you know, a bit of honesty policy. He was like, nah, touched it.
Speaker 1: What a nice guy.
Speaker 2: I couldn't for the life of me seeing you do that. No fucking chance can we. I'd be celebrating.
Speaker 1: I'll be like, no, I didn't touch it because sometimes you know, there's no there's no sound or anything else as far as touching the football. There's no you know, spike on the arc or whoever it is, so you might be able to get away with it, you know, if they don't get the right angle or if it may be you want to make sure you're celebrating. As Tom Lynch, I ever came to that final where you didn't celebrate the snap and I said, well, we took in his reaction. Must to you know, whether or not it was a goal. You have to celebrate everything, even if it's a question mark.
Speaker 2: So let's jump into the absolute game of the round. Collingwood Adelaide. I don't know if you had a chance to see this one, but it was an absolute nail bider. Adelaide. Gotta say this. Off the top. Adelaide played exceptionally well.
Speaker 1: We've been talking about it for a long time. Adelaide is a top eight team who theyre eight at the moment. But I'm telling you they are going to put anyone to the sword.
Speaker 2: See and a lot of people like you cop heat on the stats sheet and it says Adelaide loses at the MCG. This is very competitive. And to come over and compete against a team that's top of the ladder go down by two points, see that, there's no context in those stats. So they're a bloody good team. And we got to see that firsthand in the third quarter where they just blew ye out of the water. Did you guys come out of the rooms after halftime or is what happened?
Speaker 1: I think after you're half time, we came out and they go there was literally this was so they're gonna climb at us, and they're gonna come at us hard, and you best fucking.
Speaker 2: Believe they did.
Speaker 1: Came all over red hot crack, it was wild maw, it's sit in the like, and I was like, we have to somehow stem this flow. And yeah, they blew us out in the third quarter, and luckily, en after you have the fourth quarter rolls around, we kind of you know, reeled in the bed, get a few scores on the board, and we're able to kind of pip them for the wind again.
Speaker 2: It was one of those quarters for them that it was like nothing could go wrong, Like their forwards were relatively quiet in the first half, and then you know they just came and starts kicking from everywhere. So Text now leads the Coleman off the back of it. And yeah, they were just clunking them and kicking dead straight. They're just they've got really good foggity or fogginy, whichever one. He's just a dead straight kick, obviously Text dead straight kick. And then they got very dangerous small forwards, so they're going to be such a They're a good team.
Speaker 1: You've got lots of respect for him, and every time we played them, they've taken a sill line and they're a team that you know if you if you don't respect them, they'll get you.
Speaker 2: So now we've got all of that praise out of the way. They must freaking hate you. Like there wasn't too.
Speaker 1: Many smiles after the game from them, as you would expect.
Speaker 2: It's like leave them alone, but it's like what it was. I feel like you've beat him by two points five points two points or one point five points two points, all of them have been well within a kick, which is oh man, and there've been a couple of comeback from behind and it's just but you did kind of kick it all off. Now, I don't I know, you don't like praise, you don't like attention, you don't like all of that stuff. But you did kick two pretty pivotal goals. One just fell right into your arms.
Speaker 1: Yep, you know, I think it's a bit of bodywork, right, But yes, one was a chesty that goes.
Speaker 2: Down contested mark bang, But it just it was like a little baby just coddled that thing in. So you went back and you kicked that goal. And we're back to the point, which I feel like, is that that's your thing? Now?
Speaker 1: Oh, we figured it out. We need a fan velt. We need a fan velt for what's their favorite celebration. We need to figure it out.
Speaker 2: Maybe like goggles or something, the telescopic cuts. Bring it back. And then not too long after that, you got a free kick for holding, and then you went back slotted your second goal. Very important, and then talk us through what happened next. You started you started a fight. Oh, it was a scuffle more than anything, Brandon. Yeah, Now, so Jesus is really reminiscence of Round one versus radically. He kicked the goal right, and as you do, you know the game needed a bit of energy. It genuinely needed spot bit flat d mcg after Adelaide came back and was real steam rolling us through that third quarter.
Speaker 1: So after I kicked the goal, I essentially do this sharp front. As you do, you know, you get little classic bump, Hey, how you going. And as soon as I did that, he grabbed my jumper. And then as soon as that happened, it was on for young and old, you best believe it.
Speaker 2: And as soon as that I thought.
Speaker 1: Where's the wild braided Maynard I.
Speaker 2: Was waiting for.
Speaker 1: It was a long way from defense, but you will realize and whenever you watch the vision again, luckily there was the wild tailor Adams. You best believe he's just as good. He gets in there. He has boys on on, let's get at it. He was playing forward during the game, so he was right in the thick of it, just having a go great person to back you up taken and.
Speaker 2: Then what happened, So you had four or five blokes hanging off. Yeah, you're throwing jump of punches.
Speaker 1: My jobber is getting pulled from four different directions front, backside, and side.
Speaker 2: What happened to your goggles?
Speaker 1: The goggles are actually detachable in the back, right, the strap can come off, Ah right, Yeah, So all of a sudden, I just feel this pressure and it's like it's flung, you know, like it's a discus. It's like flung out into the open. And at this point I'm too busy getting in the scuffle to really know what's going on. But you look at it afterwards and old keys wouldn't be part of the Goggle Gang. So he done hiffed them.
Speaker 2: You can't blame him. Everyone wants to be part of the Goggle Gang.
Speaker 1: It's a very very unique club. And then so, like I said, there's a lot of initiation to get in their keys. So if you want to you've got to do better than that.
Speaker 2: Four blokes you're seeing start double vision. You're fighting eight blocks in what's going through your head when you've got no eye protection on?
Speaker 1: Don't get scraped in the It is probably the first thing that's going through my head. But the biggest thing whenever you get in those fights are scuffles. As you would call him, He's not going to ground. You know, as a big man, you don't want to go to ground. So I've got like four guys ripping through, you know, front, backside, inside, like I was saying, and eventually we did, you know, and he would get on the ground. We still I wouldn't let go of his jump. It was the biggest thing. I get back up and I'm looking around and I'm like, where did these things go? And he didn't just drop them on the floor, He full flong them like it was a frisbee throw, and it was like out by the fifty Like I was looking around, like you know Velma from you know, Scooby Doo, going like where is these things at? And even the trainer couldn't find And then finally we walked over. Oh shit, he's piffed him out that way.
Speaker 2: I think there's a photo of Lippa yeaggles, oh the legend.
Speaker 1: He just comes over and says, I think you drop these and he hands it back. He's a nice guy ever, but yeah, it was it piffed and I reckon he'll probably get a fine from the AFL.
Speaker 2: Is that one feeling? Because I was thinking it's it's like protective you know equipment. You need these things, just like throwing away. If someone was to get a bunch of concussions and they start wearing a helmet, it's like ripping their helmet off and throwing it across the field like it's yeah, I don't know. It tore the public because there's obviously you got a lot of admirers out there on social media. It was very split what type of act this was. But yeah, I guess we wait and see. But the AFL definitely needs to pay for their Christmas party, so they you could step on a stick out there and they give you a fine.
Speaker 1: Kills going away pay for itself. Braak, I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: Well, it was a very big tick for the durability of your goggles because they were straight back on, straight back into the rock. So that was good to see.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: One of your teammates speak of mid season mid season pick nopes massive when the game was right on the line, like under a minute left in it, and he's streaming out on the wing first to get the ball in the first place and get it up the ground, and then when it got turned over and it was coming back in to leave his man sprint forward and just land a tackle on the wing, act and most importantly not to let the ball get out of all the handball because they had runners stream and forward forward. Now your coach, fly Yeah, was saying postmatch, like he just kept cutting everyone off the questions and they were like, to just see Nomes' tackle on the link. He did it about three different occasions. Was like, let me just bring it back to Nomees tackle on the wing. Where were you did you see this all unfolding or was it like, thank god someone stopped that whole thing?
Speaker 1: I was you could see it, I kind of unfolding from out of theload's side of Like if they get past that tackle, they have like two players streaming forward handball receives and stuff. You probably get easy inside fifty. But Noble, I guess, like you know, he, like you said, he came off as man almost like suicide squeezed to land that tackle, to keep the ball in, to create noother stoppers for us to set up behind the ball and get numbers behind it. So little thing like that, you know, just being able to keep that ball in it actually leads to maybe us winning that game. John Noble, I don't know if you know this last time we played them, also kicked the game winning snag. So there's one thing Allaied probably hates about our team. It's John Noble. Man has a decent little track record against him. And yeah there was two instance where he laid tackles. And you know, I think in those dire moments and everything else, we talk about the team we want to be, we talk about the team that you know, the DNA that we show that you know describes our team the best. It's those moments under the pump, fourth quarter, games on the line and you're fighting and scrapping for everything, trying to make sure you give us the best possible scenario going forward. And John Noble did that and it's a credit to him. I'm sure you get a lot of praise this week whenever it comes to the meetings. And you know, that's what we value about his game so much. Is an absolute competitive.
Speaker 2: And you've got so many of them. I reckon there needs to be a sprinkling of those mid season picks and rookie picks throughout a team just to give it that grunt, because they work harder than anyone. I reckon those blokes. You did win the game, but right at the death. Now, I'm not sure how much you can talk about this, but the Adelaide crow Skipper Dawson, great player, an amazing game, what an absolute game, almost single handedly dragged him across the line. He copped a high from Jamie Elliott and the AFL's come off and said, yeah, yeah, should have been a high. But the umpire didn't have a clear view of the incident, so got a lucky one there. Did you see the incident? No, I didn't see it. Maybe the goggles. The goggles are a bit.
Speaker 1: Damage, that's of course, yeah, and that's unfortunate that I didn't see that.
Speaker 2: But the Pies have won eleven of fifteen when trailing at three quarter time. Doesn't that just blow your mind.
Speaker 1: It's a pretty good low statistic, isn't it. I'd love for us not to have to get the three quarter time and like now to do this all stressful comeback gray hairs type scenario. But a wins a win at the end of the day, so I'm happy. It is just we sometimes stress our fans out and stressed you know, myself, the players, the coaching staff, everyone, But in this scenario, right, so you think of fourth quarter games, and I said, this is someone. I said, like, whenever we got to the end of that game, I never felt stressed. That's like a weird thing, but like we've been in this scenario so many times. We talked about this over and over again of handling the moment and managing the minutes right. So whenever it comes to the end of the game and we're down by whatever it is and we know we need to maybe we need to lock it down, we talk about the very end of the game. You know, through the midfield we were able to get stoppage after stoppage after stoppage, just to run the clock down to be able to make sure that they didn't have a chance to be able to bounce on us. And we've just been in that situation so much. We have so much confidence with it. Like I just don't think we stress about it. We just go yep, cool. We know exactly where we need to be at certain times, and what position we need to play, and who needs to go behind the ball and what position needs to fill that spot and everything else that it's almost second nature now.
Speaker 2: No circumstances when you are going rolling stoppages, who are the calm voices. Who do you hear above the crowd sixty five thousand out there going off their nut Who can you hear? It's probably a lot of that.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a bit of everyone, to be honest, But I think the old heads you know of Pendles and Darcy and some of the more experienced players, how we and all that kind of stuff really make ownership benett. But there's the guys like Tom Mitchell, who was like a first you know, year playing with us, Like he takes ownership two and he jumps in, knows exactly what he should be.
Speaker 2: Doing and win.
Speaker 1: And it's a credit to everyone that's buying in to the game plan. And like I said, it's not it's not just one or two players telling everyone what to do. It's like one or two players looking around going yeah, we're pretty well set up. Oh, just make sure you cover that angle orhoever it is, you know, make sure you're on that guy on this shoulder, or whoever it may be. And it's not like we're sitting there having to tell them in the moment of the game exactly what to do. It's more of just like a oh, yep, cool tick, you're good, yep. I'm good, Yep, you're good, Yep, I'm good. And everyone's on the same page.
Speaker 2: Now. We talked about the end of the game and like the in the trenches, so to speak. Three quarter time. Talk us through what was going on at the huddle. Is it more of you've been in that situation? Fifteen? You know you want eleven of your last fifteen? Is fly just going? You know, boys? What to do, like get out there? Or is it a bit of urgency or what's going on?
Speaker 1: Look, I pay ten flies for a time addresses, right.
Speaker 2: I feel like no players listen to these coaches addressing.
Speaker 1: I'm always up the back, so sometimes it's hard to hear.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I know the gist of it right by what was written on the board, right, So you write certain things on the board. He talks about moving back whatever it is, right, And the gist of it was to get the ball forward and be able to try to hold territory and just give us as much opportunity as we could in the forward half because we needed to kick goals, right, That was the gist of it. So we have like a certain game play we go into and stuff like that which was on the board that you can understand. So yeah, it was just to play forward foot and you have to and that's like scenario you're down, you want to win the game, like you need to kick goals, so you need to get territory. You need to be able to get the ball inside fifty to be able to do that. So that was kind of the three quarter time address. And a lot of times whenever we start playing aggressive football and like wanting the ball forward like that suits our game plan, we go well. So it's kind of a unique thing to to almost want to always be in that kind of motive like aggression and wanting to like be really good if with your ball movement, without you know, I guess pulling back and saying like, okay, we're being too aggressive. There's almost like no such thing as too aggressive for us, which is I don't know if it's a bit of you know, all or nothing, but the games. Yeah, we live in the chaos and we enjoy it and we like thrive in it. So maybe it's just something that you know, we look at and we go, you know what, like we're just going to constantly play just go football.
Speaker 2: Now we talk about leadership, I know, Darcie Moore pre game was well, halftime was doing the huddle, had the boys around? Is that is that you know all amp up? Is that? Is there a point of amping you boys up? Or is it calming you down? Or is it? What is it?
Speaker 1: He kind of reviews the game plan, amps us up a bit. It does rotate around those so it's not always Darcy that speaks in those kind of circles. So Tay Adams, I think over the weekend jumped in. I can't rememberf it was three quarter time or halftime. He jumped in, and you know he has said to say, so there's other players that kind of jump in there and you know, are able to have their say. So then the leadership is spread over, you know, the whole group, rather than just relying on one person to be able to, you know, to be able to I guess, tell the game plan to everyone else and make sure we're on the same page, which I think is great because then you get players from different lines, you get players that you know, play different positions, and it's not just reliant on one person to make sure we're all know what we're doing. We can spread that load across the team.
Speaker 2: They have a pointed at the big Mason said, Mace, final words.
Speaker 1: The day that happens, you.
Speaker 2: Roll out. I don't know. You'll have to have a plan because it'll come one day.
Speaker 1: Your moment will look at me, Mason, any final words, I go, yeah, boys, just kick it through the big sticks.
Speaker 2: Through the big ones of six. Just learned that now before we wrap it up. Friend of the podcast, Jeremy how mate's return looking pimped out in that sleeve? Love it? Steph Curry, how good? How good was it to see him back and what influence did he have back there? Yeah, it's good man.
Speaker 1: He's one of the leaders of the team, so his influence back there and his aerial presence was something we definitely missed and it's good to see him doing his thing back out there. And we've had him on the podcast if you haven't listened to the podcast to have a look. It was a great chatter around what he had to go through to be able to get back on the ground and be able to play again and some of the darker and tougher times that he had to go through.
Speaker 2: And I don't think.
Speaker 1: People realize just how serious the injury was, Like obviously the bone breakage and all that kind of stuff that happened, but his hospital stay and the infections that happened, and you know, him debating when or not he's still going to play football and wanting to quit, and all this kind of stuff came through his mind and it was a great kind of podcast around I guess being able to fight through those darker moments and fight through the adversity to be able to get to where he's out over the weekend, and I'm sure him and his family and it was great after the game. They had the photos of him and his little kid out out there and just the smile on his face is just massive, you know, and it just meant so much. I'm sure to be able to get back to that point to be able to play I felt football and it's a credit to his resilience more than anything, and is a phenomenal person, one of the most positive, genuine human joy for meat and it was great to see him back out there and enjoying US football.
Speaker 2: Ripping Blurke and I think we should see the sleeves stick around even long into the future. You have to get it ticked off by the AFL. Imagine if someone ripped off and threw it on the ground. A bit real dick move. But it's been a good couple of weeks for the Carlen Football Club. No loss again this week and north Port Richmond Bulldogs and Giants with the other teams having the buyer this week. Before we wrap things up, we've been teasing this all podcasts. You've said every team in the league is going to make the top eight. Now unfortunately there's not enough slots. So I want to put it on you. Let's say that the top four that's a lock. Yeah, so I want your teams that are going to finish fifth through eighth, Gold Coast already being a lock for one of your spots.
Speaker 1: It has to be just eight teams. Is that how it has to be eight? I feel like I've gone to the top fourteen at times. Yeah, it's going to be interesting, So I think like five through eight, not in order in this. Like I said, like, this is not disrespectful towards any team. This is just what I'm thinking at the time, given the way teams are playing. Okay, Gold Coast lock lock, Geelong lock, I like it, you like it, Fremantle.
Speaker 2: Lock, Uplonge come on, and the last one.
Speaker 1: Adelaide I think adelaide I think they'll be I think adelaide Al must be five might be a big call for some people, but I reckon they're going to go up the ranks a little bit and get a bit of steam going into finals. There'll be a very hard team to beat.
Speaker 2: So you've got Essendon Saint Kilda dropping way off.
Speaker 1: I think they'll be right on the edge. I reckon towards the end of the year, there's going to be like a game where it's going to have to be like a winner, go home game for one of those teams. It's gonna be very interesting because there's it's really close that kind of like you know, six to ten kind of range or twelve. Those teams are a game or two off each other, so you know, we still have like ten more games or something like that to play, so it's gonna have you tight finish.
Speaker 2: It's a Grand Final rematch this weekend. Both teams are currently sitting outside of the eight. Pretty crazy. So yeah, well, now we've got something to hold you accountable too. We've got something that we can lock in.
Speaker 1: So only eight, Mason, only eight. We did say this at the beginning of the podcast, and we'll say it at the end the March, the merch has dropped and people, we are just doing this bare bones as far as pricing. We're not taking any kind of cuts or anything. We just want to get the merch to y'all because you're ogs the people that have got us to where we are today, so that there's any time to get it. It is these next two weeks that we're doing this kind of tip of this type of merchandise that has the crown on it.
Speaker 2: Very unique.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go to a different symbol after.
Speaker 2: That, but limited edition.
Speaker 1: This is the edition only two weeks, and we're doing it at a discount, like the most discount a week in discount because we just want you all to get our gear and just be able to wrap it because we have so many messages of people when you're going to do this, you keep teasing this thing. It's done. It's out there, it's on the website. You can buy it now and it is a great cost that's not going to be like that forever, So get out there and get it. Rep the March, appreciate the love and it's finally finally happened. So check it out link and the buyer. Yes, the Carlton Draft, the old legends over there.
Speaker 2: That's what. Yeah, Oh jeez, we have. We can't thank you enough, but this is our little way of saying thanks, because it has been one hell of a ride to this point. And I feel like July, August, September is going to be pretty massive as well. So I'm very much looking forward to seeing how the year pans out. We know, I just can't know how. I see.
Speaker 1: It's going to be the first person wearing our merch out in public. That's going to be a real humbling moment, like real cool. I'm not gonna lie. I hope where it is that's out there listening to this, it's where's the merch? To a training session? Where it may be are at a game?
Speaker 2: Hey, mad Love, you know you're getting a photo for show. You can't tune them down. Roll up in the.
Speaker 1: Ogach you're getting the og merch. You're getting the photo. Love it all right, that's it? Surely, surely that's it. No, Yeah, it's it all right. Everyone, Thanks so much for listening to absolute legends. Like I said, check out the merch, go bye bye for your friends, family, brothers, sisters, whatever it might be, and thank you so so much for the love over socials and everything else. You all are amazing, amazing community, and we continue to grow this thing and we are so thankful for everything you've done to give us to this point and launch us to the moon going forward. So thanks everyone so much. I appreciate you and dad. Check out Abby Holmes later this week. Huge podcast drop. That's the last part. I forgot to say. Absolute legend. We went into her commentating, we went into her love for the NT. Maybe some barrel Monday, she's caught over there.
Speaker 2: You gave us some dating advice.
Speaker 1: He did gave us some dating advice which is in there. So you best believe that's going to be a great episode. I can't wait for that to go out. That's gonna be real fun. She's an absolute legend, good friend of mine and someone who's you know, breaking all kinds of barriers for females and sport. It's awesome to say, Shazza chazza. You'll understand that if you listen to the app. All right, enjoy the rest of the day. We'll speak to you soon.
Speaker 2: Peace. Yeah,