Speaker 1: Life Uncut acknowledges the traditional custodians of country whose lands were never seated. We pay our respects to their elders past and present.
Speaker 2: Always was, always will be Aboriginal Land. This episode was recorded on Drug Wallamata Land.
Speaker 3: Hey guys, and welcome back to another episode of Life on card I am produce a key Shart. I hope you've all had such an unreal Christmas. You've been able to spend some really special time with the people that you love the most, and hopefully all things across, you've gotten some time to reach out to those batteries and have a bit of a relax. I know it's not possible for a lot of people at this time of.
Speaker 4: The year because it's seemingly the busiest time of the year for everybody, but today's episode is my favorite of the year. I absolutely love doing the Rearing your Views because it gives us the opportunity to go back and listen to some of the best moments from the year.
Speaker 3: And for this one, Laura britt and I sat down and we looked at every episode that we've created for this year.
Speaker 5: And to be honest, it was just for me.
Speaker 3: I really I genuinely looked at the list and I was like, Wow, how do we pull this up? Like it was a real pinch me moment of how did some of this come about? Like, Yeah, I truly cannot believe some of the incredible people that we have been able to share some moments with this year on the podcast. So there's gonna be a lot of laughs, there's gonna be some more insightful moments, perhaps some valuable lessons.
Speaker 5: There's a couple of us gun cuts peppered into this Rear in your View. And if you've looked at the episode title and you're.
Speaker 3: Like, that's a weird thing to call the last episode of the year, what's that about? Lacks a bit of context. I'll give you the context. It was back in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 5: I think it was.
Speaker 3: Britt I'm not one hundred percent sure actually, but one of the girls went to say year in Review, and what accidentally came out was rear in your View. So we had a bit of a laugh about it, and we're rolling with it, and that is now forever on what our last episode of the year where we highlight the year will be called.
Speaker 5: I really really hope you enjoy one.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at the list of people that we have included some of the guests from this year's best moments, or some of what we deem to be some of our favorite moments.
Speaker 5: Seems to be a.
Speaker 3: Bit of a British and Irish theme for a lot of the guests. There's going to be quite a lot of British accents in this rearing of view.
Speaker 5: That wasn't deliberate.
Speaker 3: It's just the way that things have worked out, and I think some of the conversations that we had this year have I don't know how you feel about it, but for me, I definitely have felt like I have learned so much about myself from the wonderful people that have joined the podcast, and I hope you feel similarly for each of these little segments of the episodes, if you really enjoy it, or perhaps you missed it throughout the year where you just missed the week or you missed the conversation. In the show notes of the episode.
Speaker 5: I will link every single one of.
Speaker 3: The whole episodes for you to go back and listen through if you would like. So, if you scroll down into the show notes, each of the segments will be hopefully quite clearly labeled and you can tap on that and have a listen.
Speaker 5: Throughout the summer period.
Speaker 3: Our first guests for the year in review, Sorry the Rearing of You of twenty twenty three is the phenomenal Matthew Hussey. Now, Matthew would have to be I would say he would be the number one dating coach in the world. He's definitely what I would consider to be the number one dating coach in the world. And I think it's because his advice has always been very relatable and it's been quite insightful, but not in a like super introspective or you have to really get deep with someone. It's been very actionable advice is what I think has come out of Matthew Hussey. And this particular moment when he joined Britain Laura, I thought was a moment where I could see the inner workings of his brain. Like you've realized with some of your advice falls a bit short.
Speaker 6: I'm always obsessed about the nuance of things, like when is that true? When is it not true? For example, when someone says, watch you know this is good advice. Right when you're dating someone, watch what they do, not what they say. That's good advice that will save you from a lot of bad situations in life. If someone keeps telling you they love you, I care so much about you. I always want the best for you. But everything they do is damaging to you, and they're inconsistent, and they treat you poorly, and they disrespect you, and they cheat on you, they lie, well, their words really cease to matter at that point. Their behavior is telling you everything you need to know about the person. But what would happen with me is I because I've worked with so many people now over fifteen years, I would always hear something that would stop me in my tracks and make me go, oh, hang on, I feel like I need to go back to the drawing board on this. And an example for that piece of advice, which is good advice, is when someone would say to me, but Matt, I'm with this person and they literally treat me like I'm their girlfriend. They take me to meet their family, like we've gone on these amazing trips together. He's big these gestures, and he spends all this time with me, We speak for hours on the phone, and yet he tells me he just doesn't know if he wants a relationship.
Speaker 2: And so many people have experienced that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So if you apply watch what they do, not what they say to that scenario, you're going to get yourself in a lot of trouble because what they're doing is showing you all the right things through their behavior, but what they're telling you is that they don't want a relationship. Well, that to me is nuance. You add a layer of complexity there where you say, oh, well, actually, what appears to be true empirically is that you should follow the rule of watch what they do, not what they say, unless what they say to you is inconvenient for them to say and wouldn't help them in any way. So, if I'm a guy and I want to continue to have this intimacy and this connection and regular sex and all of the things that come from doing that with a person, I don't want to tell you I don't want a relationship because it might hurt what I'm getting. You might decide, Oh, if that's true, then I'm out. So I'm risking the things that I'm enjoying by admitting this. And if you imagine, for a guy like that, he feels like he has to say it, or he should say it, or he wants to to keep your arm's length, but it doesn't help his cause. And if something doesn't help someone's cause, but they say it anyway, you can believe that thing. Then it's almost like the rule inverts, because now it's like the small print at the end of a pharmaceutical ad. A pharmaceutical ad is this whole commercial where the whole time they're like showing people bouncing in a field who you know, were struggling with back problems, but now they're having a great time, and look how great their relationship is, and look how great life is. And it's changed their life taking this backpill or whatever it is. And then at the end of the commercial, very very quickly, it races through the fact that this pill is going to make you suicidal. You might vomit, you might have diarrhea, you might it might ruin your light like it.
Speaker 5: Might die, but you could be run around in a field.
Speaker 6: And here's the thing. Those are the things that they have to say. They wouldn't say it if they had a choice, but they have to say those things. So you don't necessarily know if any of the nonsense marketing was true, but you know the other things are true because they wouldn't say them unless they had to. So when someone's telling you something that doesn't help them to tell you, that's usually the part that's true, even if their actions are giving you lots of hope.
Speaker 3: Next hap in our Year in Review is arguably the funniest person I have ever gotten to meet. And I don't say that dramatically, truly, when we met Joanne McNally, she's the Irish comedian that also has the pot my therapist ghosted me the day that we met her, she came into the studio, we recorded the episode with her, and then later that night we went to her comedy show at the Nmore Theater in Sydney. And when I got home and for the entire next day, the lower parts of my jaw felt like they had gone to the gym for a workout, like I had doms from laughing so hard at Joanne. You know those people you think they're so hilarious, It must be just that funny when they're in character or they're doing their comedy bit. Joan's not like that. She is truly the funniest person I've ever spoken to. It just in her regular conversation. She's just a laugh and a half and I particularly loved this story that she told them the podcast.
Speaker 7: The podcast I Do, I do a podcast with Vog Williams, and Vogue is like femininity personified, like just very together. Everything's like color coordinator, who she fails, her echoes well, her hates keeper.
Speaker 8: Doors shit like that.
Speaker 5: She's perfect.
Speaker 7: She is perfection and she looks like Sandy Crawford and she's three kids and not a single stitch, very proud of that, and like when we get drunk together, she's I'm like, I can't watch your birth videos again, Vogue, And she was showing me the birth videos and the child just like slips out like share like it's coming out through the ground, like you know when somebody comes out through the ground of.
Speaker 8: A theot they made fully clothed, teething.
Speaker 7: And everything like yeah, yeah, yeah, the guccy track suits and stuff. But so that was kind of the basis of the podcast because I was the opposite of that. But anyway, Vogue, like what we were saying earlier, like trying to get content for the pod, Vogue was like, come in, come in, because she was having some postnatal She wasn't actually having a post natal issue, but she was doing some Vogue would collab with fucking hand grenades, like she's big for the collabs. So she was like, I'm going, I'm doing a collab with a kegel chair. And I was like, what, She's like a kegel chair and I thought it was some like ring light thing, but it's not.
Speaker 8: It's fair.
Speaker 7: You know, if you've got kids, how's your pelvic floor? Oh look, it's not as good as it used to be. Box jumps particularly bad. But you're doing box jumps means you're at a sloor anymore for that reason.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've used to keep chair, have you, Yeah, just for fun.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I watched your try. I'd say if you turned it on right, you get great crack out of it.
Speaker 5: It is supposed to also help with your orgasms.
Speaker 7: Well no, I didn't came on the chair, thank god, it would be reading embrassing. But anyway, so folks like, come in, I'm doing this club with this kegel chair, and it just kind of bauses your vagina back after you've had a kid by the ski because you're pelvic floor kind of collapses or whatever. And I didn't even know. I don't, like, I'm not aware. I have no kids and I went in a first seat. I shaved, waxed and was came in like with alopecia from the eyebris down because I assumed that we were getting bussed like internally folks get comment sit on the bage chair because it'll be good for the podcast. And I was like, I think you sounding it like a pogo ste I thought it would be like a cattle prod and put it in like bosi back.
Speaker 5: So this is what I did.
Speaker 2: We went to Bali and I had that done internally in Bali. That's a holiday. I went to a day spot. I kind of enjoyed it, but anyway, I imagine you're getting.
Speaker 8: Your lobby a gently massage by electrical brad. What's not to like?
Speaker 5: It was relaxing.
Speaker 8: I can't.
Speaker 7: I'm I have a very I don't know what you say, low level or high level of erotticism, like I I can't even getting a head massage in the in the hair draskers embarrasses me. Do you know when they go real slow and you're like this is this you get turned on? No, it just makes me really embarrassed. I'm like, how do you not think this is erratic? I going to the Headdres said to get that hit. It's so barsya, some fourteen year old girl massage in her head.
Speaker 5: You're like, oh my god, keep going with you chip.
Speaker 8: So anyway, I.
Speaker 7: Go in and as like I say, I waxed everything I was prepared to have.
Speaker 8: I thought ID be in a gown.
Speaker 7: But anyway, go in and Vogue sitting there head to toe and white on this chair. She looks like Mariah Carey, like there's like a wind machine in the back of her hair and she's just sitting there going and I was like, oh, you're fully clothed. So it was totally different to what I thought it was. It was just sitting like a chair like this, but it's a huge olkin like buzzas anyway, folks like, well, I'm getting buzzed. You do the pelvic floor test. So I sat Maria was that she's a post nital physiotherapist. She's like sitting the thing so that in the thing and so it gauges. You're a pelvic floor like a heartbeat, so like you clench and it like goes.
Speaker 8: Up and down.
Speaker 7: And so I was on the sea thing she was like and clenched, and so I was clenching and she's like, I said clenched and I was like, yeah, clenching and she you could see her like the flat lined, completely flat lined, no response at all. So then she was like seeing what the thing clugged in. She was like, oh wow, you have no public work. And she said to me, when did you give birth? When did you give birth? Allow, I've never given birth, I said, my vagina is very much at the taking phase. She hasn't pushed anything out, and she's like you, So then I am now patient in a post natal physios herapist clinic, and Vogue bounced out fact after three kids she never went back and they were like, there's an issue here. Turns out I'm misaligned and my pelvis is on the ground or my usual as up in my eyeballs, I don't know. Anyway, then I had I had to have a post natal physio herapist. I never had a child.
Speaker 5: This is the original story.
Speaker 7: Is going to say it because I used to whip myself when I laughed as a child. But I think it's all connected. Yes, absolutely, yeah, But if you're having some sort of like uterus prolapse, you don't even know.
Speaker 8: You're like, what is that ball. I do not even have a I never lapsed.
Speaker 1: How do how does that translate in the bedroom? Like sex wives, do you have those moments where they're like I'm coming.
Speaker 5: You're like, what it's in now?
Speaker 8: Just the wall still bring god?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know she flatlined on the key, or it would be more that they'd be like, is it it not me?
Speaker 8: I'd be like I can feel that. Yeah, that's good. They're like, I don't know.
Speaker 7: Yes, they want to put those, you know, in a bowling alley when you're ship of bowling. They put those inflatable things on the sides. They were like, to have any of them for your insights because I can't feel the pane here. It's not about size, it's about grip. So anyway, so now I have to do key. And then I spoke about it before because obviously I just kind of thought was funny.
Speaker 8: And then these women were mastering going so brave. I was like, shit, I just thought it was a funny story. Didn't realize like a peal.
Speaker 2: Of becaushes, there's nothing more patronizing there when people tell you how brave a just for like showing up, in for being you showing up in the world existing and people like you're so brave that you're so brave.
Speaker 8: You're like, I'm just wearing a fucking bikini. The beach bag fringe is brave. You know.
Speaker 5: When you turn out with no makeup on. That's what gets me.
Speaker 1: When you decide to go I'm gonna make up free, I'm feeling myself and people like so brave pray for you, and you're like, oh.
Speaker 8: Like okanack, it just kind of doesn't mean outing anymore.
Speaker 3: Oh. Joanne just has me laughing so much that I feel like I would have abs if I listened to her for hours a day. But she also mentioned in there that she hosts the podcast with Vogue Williams. Now Vogue, I'm really sorry but Vague didn't make the rear in Your View for twenty twenty three, but I did love that episode with her. I will link it in the show notes because we're also lucky enough to have Vogue on the podcast this year, and that was truly another laugh. We kind of got to know the inner workings of their friendship, how they started the podcast, and how Vogue goes about working with her husband, Spencer, who you might know from Maiden Chelsea. Coming up next in the rear in your View, I keep from going to say a year in review. Let's just use them interchangeably for the rest of this episode is Sarah Wilson.
Speaker 5: Sarah Wilson is.
Speaker 3: Originally known for different things. She was a journalist, she also did a lot of TV stuff in Australia, and she's really known for her eye quit sugar movement. Growing up, I thought that the eye quit sugar thing was a kind of along the lines of like a diet book. I thought it was really about weight loss. But it was in this conversation that we had with Sarah that I learned that she actually got into the reducing sugar intake movement because she has Hashimoto's disease, which is an autoimmune condition, and so the sugar in her diet was quite inflammatory for her body. And that's kind of how it all came about. And Sarah was just such an interesting person to speak to. There were so many different parts that we could have pulled from this episode to be the highlight couple of minutes. You know, Sarah is the type of person who worked out how much money she would need for the rest of her life, kind of stored it away and gave every other bit of her wealth to charity, which is just phenomenal. She travels the world, She's got like two suitcases of belonging. She's just a really interesting person. Lives quite a p noumadic style of life. But in this part of the chat, we were talking to Sarah about why she dates younger men or what she kind of sees the value in younger men and why.
Speaker 5: I've read something.
Speaker 1: About you in the Sidney Morning Herald and it was very intriguing to me. Now, it's intriguing because my partner's five years younger than me. My ex is seven years younger than me. I date down, Yeah, no, I'm sorry. Typically, yeah, I date down in age range. I don't know if it was always intentional, that just sort of fulfilled that way. But you have said that you sort of lean towards dating down, which is funny because they're the people that don't show up as well. The men are probably not emotionally mature enough, yet they're the men you seem to be leaning to. Why is that is that because you have trouble finding somebody that is willing to meet you on your level, that is your age.
Speaker 9: Well, what I would say is, in fact, men my age are worse than the younger ones. They're actually more scared. So they've picked up the behaviors of the younger generation from the dating app and we've all done it right. Women are doing it as well. It's also it's the vibe and the technology actually enables it. But I find that men my age are even more confused, more scared than men in their thirties. My father has a good theory on this. He reckons that you know, when guys have got testosterone in their system right, gives them this bravado and you know, over the years it also starts to dial down and they lose their mojo. And also older men have had more knockbacks, they don't have as much confidence, whereas the young guys they've just got that sort of that rawness you know, where they'll give it a go. The other thing, I mean, I'm really going into the weeds here. The other thing is is that I think younger guys who are not wanting to commit, they're faced with a generation of women who are getting married younger. Like my generation, we didn't get married. My friends did not get married. You know, I'm sort of a child. I was in my early twenties in the early nineties, and that was full austerity. There wasn't a lot of money, there was a recession. It was all about feminism. It was the grunge period. We didn't wear makeup, we wore secondhand clothes, we didn't wear bras, we wore flat shoes.
Speaker 8: It was all that kind of thing. Right.
Speaker 9: What that's sort of done is created a certain sort of mindset. What's happening now I find is with the younger guys.
Speaker 5: The younger guys they had.
Speaker 9: Mothers like me. Right, I date guys who have mothers the same age as now, and literally so they've been brought up by feminists and feminist teachers, and then they get to their sort of late twenties in early thirties, and the women are a different type of women. They're wanting to get married, like you know, that's actually been shown statistically.
Speaker 5: They're getting married.
Speaker 9: And you know, we've had a period of incredible opulence in Australia in the West, right, And so that creates a very different dynamic with women. Women's rights and body shape and role in society shifts with the economics of the time.
Speaker 5: And you'll see over.
Speaker 9: Here in Europe where they're actually going through the beginnings of a recession. You know, the cost of living crisis is really affecting. And fashion has changed women addressing differently, and that's happened throughout histor If you think of the flapper era in the nineteen twenties and thirties, War and the Depression, women's bodies were straight up and down, women were in the workforce, You had the Suffragette movement, women got the vote, Women are out there getting all these kinds of rights anyway, So there's a bit of a background there. So yeah, I find that men who are not wanting to get married, they're wanting to focus on their career. They're quite creative and ambitious and all that kind of thing. They're going, well, who do I date? Older women fit the bill because we're not going to demand anything of them. We're literally going to be in the present, having a great time, not wanting to ring on our finger, and not wanting to get pregnant anytime soon. So I think I actually find more engagement, genuine engagement, like old school engagement where they're actually interested in me as a person. Among the younger men which is great, you know when they turn.
Speaker 5: That's exactly right, Sarah.
Speaker 3: Something you wrote about in one of your recent newsletters kind of to do with this topic. It was titled I'm a spinster, I spin well, And in that piece you wrote it something that really intrigued me, and you basically said that the term spinster and I guess we could use cougar, like there are all of these terms for women who date younger men and who are open about their dating life and that it's exciting and that they're passionate lovers and things like that. It's not equivalent to the term bachelor. You know, we seem to kind of have this view of the way that we use the word spinster that is negatively geared.
Speaker 5: Have you experienced that.
Speaker 8: Yes, and no.
Speaker 9: I think it's more that women take that on ourselves.
Speaker 8: We perceive it.
Speaker 9: And I've got a real mindset that I've had for a very long time where the.
Speaker 5: Mind goes, the energy flows.
Speaker 9: So if you focus on that for yourself, that's what you'll get back from everyone. You'll get that perception back. So in many ways I've operated almost oblivious to the fact that I'm meant to get marriedorried and I'm meant to be doing all of these things, and I've just got on with things and every now and then I go, oh god, yeah, that's right. I missed that memo.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 9: So the spinster thing is interesting, though, isn't it, Because this term started out along I think it was in the sixteen hundreds to describe women who were really good at spinning, and because they could spin, it meant that they actually had a skill set that was valuable and they had their own income.
Speaker 5: What do you mean by spinning? Is that like a material thing.
Speaker 8: Spinning wool thread? Wait?
Speaker 5: Talking a long time ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just pictured people who were really good on the dance floor, like sitting around and I was like, okay, he's just young enough, Sarah.
Speaker 9: So see that jumper you're wearing back in the older way. So yeah, see women who could spin thread, right, whether it was silk.
Speaker 11: Cool wool, it was a spinning wheel.
Speaker 9: Anyone who was really good at spinning, it meant you had your own income, right, You were financially independent, so you could come into a dynamic, you know, with something to offer, and that was seen as a really good thing. So these women that went often had careers, so to speak sygnemata spinning wheel. We're seen as a desirable entity. So you were considered a spinster. Unfortunately, now obviously that's taken on a derogative connotation. But yeah, I think the world is shifting. We are in an incredible time of flux for all kinds of things, including gender roles, including like look what AI is doing to I mean, I'm sure many of your listeners think about this, like we're hearing about it. How's it going to affect all of our jobs? Everything's up for grabs, and so we are in a great dynamic time to redefine all of these things for ourselves. And in fact, I like the idea of slippy, Like while everyone's been distracted by all of these rules and ideas and fears, I basically just kind of put on my backpack and piss on off to Paris or whatever and get on.
Speaker 8: With my own thing, you know.
Speaker 9: Like it's a really good time to not be stuck in those roles, these stereotypes and constricted laneways.
Speaker 3: Now, this next part of our rear in your view is from a conversation that Laura and Britt had with Hugh Van Kyleenberg. Now hu Van Kyleenberg is the man from the Resilience Project. He also is one of the co hosts of The Imperfect podcast, and a part of their podcast is that they have these things called vulnerability cards, and the cards you used to inspire somewhat deep conversation, you know, parts where we share about ourselves that perhaps we haven't shared before. And this particular question that he posed to Laura, I think it really struck a chord with so many people because I think it's something that so many of us can relate to, almost not in a good way. It's something that we feel deep within ourselves, but perhaps we weren't brave enough to say it out loud.
Speaker 12: Okay, here's one for you, Laura. Ch I. This is again there's a full on question to answer, So I hope you don't mind. Even what are you ashamed of? It's a light one to finish.
Speaker 2: I had to look through some of these questions, so I had to look through some of the options. So I've had time to kind of process this and think about what I would say and really feel that shame. Yeah, and really sit in my shame. No, Look, this will probably make me cry, but there's something that I so my grandfather passed away.
Speaker 5: You are you can't ready about your grand I honestly.
Speaker 2: Can't really struggle with it. Yeah, So a couple of years ago, my papa passed away. And my papa was very much my father figure all throughout my life, and he and my grandma had been married for you know, sixty something years. And my nana has very bad dementia. She was put into a home shortly afterwards. And I think, like for me, we'd go down and see them. They live in Woollongong. We'd see them all the time. We were really in contact and really a part of their life. That as my NaN's dementia has gotten worse and worse and I've had kids and COVID happened, I found that I'd go down and see her less and less. And I think for a really long time, I said of said to myself, she has dementia. She doesn't remember me coming anyway, she doesn't remember when I visited. And I was watching You Can't Ask That, that show that's on Tvaby and they did an amazing episode on dementia, and there was one thing that one of the women. They interviewed all these people at different stages of dementia, and she said, you know, it doesn't matter how advanced it is, you still have these moments of clarity. You still have these moments where you might remember your old life or you might remember. And I for me, it was this real moment where I was like, wow, you know, I think sometimes with the elderly, we can kind of go oh, they don't remember, or like it's easier, it's out of sight, out of mind.
Speaker 5: I'm too busy.
Speaker 2: And it's not that I don't see my nan as much, like it's not they don't see her at all. I just don't see her anywhere near as much. And then I think like, wow, I've just wasted three years where I needed to put in more effort and that I feel really.
Speaker 12: As shaped of Yeah, but how beautiful that you've had that realization now before.
Speaker 13: It's too late.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's not too late, that totally and now. And that was a huge toning point for me. I call her all the time, I take the girls down as much as I can, and she doesn't remember. But the thing that I've realized is that my girls, you know, Marley now gets to see her great grandma. She knows who her great Grandma is and that's really special, beautiful.
Speaker 12: Yeah, thank you for sharing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really really loved that part. From that episode, I felt like, I don't know about you, but I definitely had the reminder to spend more time with the people who are truly, truly important in my life coming up next in our rear in your view. It is no secret to say that this is my favorite person. This is my celebrity crush. It is also the person that I was like at the start of the year. If we could manage to get him on the podcast, life goal would be ticked off. It is Stephen Bartlett from the Diary of a CEO. He's also a prolific businessman.
Speaker 5: He's so young to have.
Speaker 3: This much knowledge and also this much wealth, like he's done really really well for himself. And the reason that I love Stephen Bartlett so deeply is because I feel like I have learnt so much from his podcast and from what he has to say. Find him a very insightful person. And so when we reached out to basically to Stephen's team, I would say, because there's a lot of them, I wasn't expecting a yes in reply. I was actually not really expecting the reply whatsoever. So when it came back that Stephen was really keen to join us on the podcast, I was beyond surprised, and not just because he's such a huge person in the podcasting world. It's also because he doesn't really do very many podcasts.
Speaker 5: He doesn't.
Speaker 3: I mean, he obviously has his own podcast where he interviews people, but he doesn't go on very many podcasts at all. So this was like a double surprise and I was so thrilled. We ended up recording this podcast at I think it was like eleven PM at night. It might have even been later, but frankly, it would not have mattered at what time of the night I would have gotten up to chat to Stephen Bartlett, and he was even better in person than what I could have imagined. In your book you wrote, and I'm quoting this in business, sports, and academia, and individual's personal philosophies are the single biggest predictors of how they behave now and in the future. If you know someone's philosophy or beliefs, so you can accurately forecast how they'll behave in any situation. From this, I'm really interested in what some of your philosophies are and like how in the business world you have created values that have led to consistent behavior within yourself.
Speaker 13: I mean, I've got so many important personal philosophies. I would say that the most important one, as I believe it now, is to sweat the small stuff. I genuinely believe, like, if people think the podcast that we've done is big this month, I think we'll do about thirty five million downloads. Not perform a good podcast host. And I said this on LinkedIn the other day, it's not because we have the most talented team in the world. Because when Jack joined, he was the first employee. He'd never done this before. He was a freelance felance of that recorded stuff. But he wasn't it never made a show before. The thing is and the thing where I go, that's our big philosophical advantage of everybody. And this is the same in my businesses or anything that I get involved in, is we absolutely care more about the small stuff than everybody else. And that's an interesting right, So, like, that's an interesting thing because you go, like the table I'm sad at narrow is the table I record the podcast act underneath this table which you can't see. There's a track pad, an Apple track pad glued to the underside of the table. And when I'm doing the podcast, if the guess there is something interesting, I just click it. You can't even see my hands. I click it with my fingerpun using AI to my team, and that becomes one of the titles and thumbnails. We take ninety of those titles and thumbs nails, so ninety clicks that I did under the table. We run them as ads on Facebook before the episode comes out for seven days to find out which title and topic is the most important to lead. I could tell you a million things we do. They are tiny things, small small things, the temperature of the room, knowing that when Israel Ada Sana got here, the song double Up by Nipsey Hustle is the song that makes him emotional and makes him open up. I could tell you a million of these tiny things that we do, and it's all of these little things that have added up but no one sees. So people look in and when they do their sort of dissection of dire of a Sea, and I watch these on TikTok, They're like, he's a good host. The trailers are great. I'm like, no, no, no, no, no no. It's all the stuff you can't see. And that's and I can see it in the graph. I can see the graph is changing because of these small tweaks. So my personal philosophy asn't related to success is I'm absolutely obsessed with the smallest things. The thing with the small stuff is things that are easy to do, like saving one pounds of brushing your teeth, are also therefore easy not to do. So most people don't do them. They don't think they're important. I think they're really important. And it's not just that. The other thing about doing the small stuff is it's easier to find one hundred tiny things than it is to find one big thing. Like I can't reinvent the will with podcasting. I'm not going to find a new YouTube or Spotify, am I. I can find that it's very easy for a team and for me to find one hundred small things, and that equals one hundred percent gain. It actually is more when things compound. It's much more than one hundred percent if you're thinking about compounding returns. And also the science has shown and I've sat here with Sir David Brailsford, who became the head of the English cycling team. He went into that team when they were down and out and winning nothing, and he turned it around to make them the most successful team in the world. And he had the same philosophy. He went and found out, can I make the water bottles a little bit bigger? Can I make the pillows in the hotels a little bit softer? And it wasn't just the accumulation of many, many one percent gains. He said to me, The most important thing from a psychological perspective, when you find small gains or any gains, is it makes your team feel like you're moving, like you have a sense of progress. And he goes, when I went into that English cycling team, we found all of these small little ways to improve, and suddenly this depressed team quote unquote, we felt like we were going somewhere. So from a psychological perspective, you see our team here when we find a one percent game, the phrase one percent is the most popular phrase used in our team. We have a head of experimentation, full time job, a full time data scientist on the podcast again full time job we've got from like you, and we have a channel in our called the one percent Chat where we're all looking for one percent games and we find what it's like a celebration, you know. And just to conclude their Harvard Business Review, when it interviewed people in work and asked them when their most enjoyable day in work was, then they looked at those days, and people had pointed at days when they had a sense of progress. So from a psychological perspective, it made people motivated. From a business perspective, it adds up to change the game. And I think all those small things equal a really really big thing. That's my big personal philosophy, and that for anyone that's like just starting in a podcast, it is the best news I could possibly give you. Because you don't need to make some amazing higher We didn't. You don't need to be super famous. I remember my manager walking in one day and said he had anxiety because no one wanted to come on the podcast and we needed to put it out this week. And I'm going, have you got any friends you can call? Steve? So I called this guy called Dad, who was a mate of mine. That is episode like seven, No one was interested When you have seven thousand subscribers on YouTube, like, no one's interested in it? Wanted to come on, but the thing and if you thok the last ninety days, we've had a million more subscribers in the last ninety days. So the laws of compounding say, goes really slow, and asked did and then it went like the Burj Khalifa, And honestly the thing went at which means it's accessible to everybody. Is look at what you're doing every day and find a way to make it one percent better. Isn't that easy to do? One percent?
Speaker 3: Coming up necked and avery're in your view is the thing that divided us more than anything. It is the biggest controversy that Life on Card has ever faced. It caused more arguments than we've ever had, and I still don't think that we're in agreeance. We still have very, very different and heated opinions about the shrine.
Speaker 1: I never hang anything in my house. I got some art recently and I loved it. I moved my house around, I moved to my furniture around, and now there are these big walls that were like really barren. So I was like, I need to hang some art on there. And so I got all romantic and I.
Speaker 5: Produced the She's laughing because she.
Speaker 1: Knows on line, ordered three frames of photos to be delivered to my house because I'm too lazy and don't have time to go do it. Of Ben and I when we did that really funny on the spare of the moment professional photo shoot at the Louver in Paris. If you don't know that story, guys, we were at the Louver in Paris and this Rando photographer asked to come and shoot us.
Speaker 5: We thought it was a scam. We said yes for a laugh, and we ended up getting these really beautiful photos from it. So I ordered three of them and printed them out decent.
Speaker 1: Size, and I put all three of them on this one wall in my laundroom, really next to each other. I thought it was really good, and I was so proud of the fact that I did it on my own. I hung it, I measured it. I was just really feeling myself. The pictures are great, and I'm in love. This is going into my suck is. I thought it was really nice. I've never been in love and put a picture up of me and my partner in my existence first time. All my friends do it, everyone else does it anyway?
Speaker 2: Do I do that?
Speaker 5: Do people put off?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: I go in to my friend's.
Speaker 1: House and there's like giant nude photoshoots of them. Anyway, really, yeah, so produce Akisha and my other friend Kim. Yes I'm naming shaming you, Kim. They both they both come into my house and just start tearing strips off me for the fact that I put photos up of myself and my partner in the lound room. First of all, they were like, okay, it other looks like someone's died. Someone's died, and this is a shrine or it looks like a wedding shoot. And apparently you're not allowed to put photos up of yourself and your partner unless you're married. Now, I disagree people.
Speaker 8: I think that is bullshit.
Speaker 5: I'm calling bullshit. Why do I have to be married to put photos up of me and my lover?
Speaker 2: I don't think it's that Like, I mean, I have a couple of little photos of Matt and Eyed. We got this like little pack and there was a few photos of us and like a.
Speaker 5: Once you put on the wall.
Speaker 2: They're like hard picture frames that you put on like a little side table.
Speaker 5: So there's a couple of those of Matt nite.
Speaker 2: I think it's more the fact because your lounge room is the first room you walk into when you enter your house.
Speaker 5: I don't have a west wing, in an east wing. I've got a tiny apartment totally.
Speaker 2: You walk in and there's a loud So maybe it looks like a shrine because it's three big photos together. But can I just in your defense, because your partner and you're doing long distance, you don't see them every day, so it's nice to have like a daily shrine to sit and look at.
Speaker 1: Also, I sort of did it because he's coming here in two weeks to visit, and I want him to be like, oh cute, like I mean something to her, she's done something, or you think.
Speaker 5: He's gonna see it and be like, babe, why have you got a shrine?
Speaker 1: Because because I showed him and he thought it was really cute. And at the end of the day, fuck you, produce a key and Kim, I will shrine the shit.
Speaker 12: Out of Mirus.
Speaker 1: So are you trying to say, because so I've got these three photos right and nothing else on.
Speaker 5: The wall very defensive?
Speaker 1: Are your extremely Are you trying to say you and the audience? Are you trying to say that if I had a few different photos surrounding it. It would be okay, yeah, whack some photos of Delilah up there.
Speaker 5: I would personally Julilah. I had some photos a sherry, mix it up a little.
Speaker 14: Why does that change the fact.
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 8: It just makes it a little less weird.
Speaker 5: And I don't know why. I don't know it's weird. I don't know the psychology behind it.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's the general feelings within.
Speaker 5: My body, deep internalized trauma. Here, I'm thinking in security.
Speaker 3: Why don't you have photos of me on your wall?
Speaker 1: I see you more than anyone in my entire life exactly.
Speaker 5: That's why I think I would make the wall.
Speaker 1: I don't need you plaster on my wall because I see you every day.
Speaker 5: If I'm not seeing you, I'm speaking to you.
Speaker 1: If I'm not speaking, we're dming simultaneously at the same time as we're dexting.
Speaker 5: Ben, I see you like a couple of times a year, and he is my love. Look, I have a key to your house. I think I'm just print.
Speaker 3: Some photos of myself and your friends and put them on the wall, just to eaven it out.
Speaker 2: Wall.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, the pole said that it was okay.
Speaker 1: More people had said that it's fine, but I mean, if you want to update the pole, Kisha and do sub poles until you've got the result you want, which is that it's creepy, you do that.
Speaker 3: Like selective bias or something like that, going until I get the results.
Speaker 5: I wi confirmation bias.
Speaker 1: I actually got a few dms personally and they were all positive.
Speaker 5: They're all like stuff.
Speaker 1: Everyone hels, Brittany, you do you you put his bigger picture up of your Ben want?
Speaker 5: I was like, yes, Queen, that's fu se me else because I know they're.
Speaker 3: Really messaging me this because you also have photos of you and your partner on your wall.
Speaker 5: It does look a semi shriny, but it's candles and flowers underneath. You know what Ben's coming, guys, He's coming in only two weeks now. I'm very excited. But I will see what.
Speaker 1: He thinks when he gets here, and if he thinks it's weird, I'll add a couple of photos.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: I think the number one question to start with, and it's a question on everyone's lips is the shrine the shrine?
Speaker 5: You saw it?
Speaker 1: Finally in real life? Is it as bad as everyone? Laura produced a Keisha, don't punder me in there. I had not seen the shrine. I was only being told secondhand about the shrine. I also saw it for the first time when Ben saw it.
Speaker 15: To be fair, it is a little bit weird because a shrine is meant to feel dead people, and I know it's.
Speaker 5: Not a shrine. They've told me it's a shrine. I don't think it's a shrine. Okay, guys, don't fight.
Speaker 15: I don't like I'm meant to be meant to be a display of our love, which is fine, which is great. It's cute, but it's kind of like arranged like a deceased or something.
Speaker 5: It's like candles around on the floor. There's a few, a few.
Speaker 15: It's like roses, white roses and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: All about it is three photos. That's it in my whole house.
Speaker 15: I think we need to add some more photos to kind of take the shininess out.
Speaker 2: Of it, as in photos not of you, photos of other things, like with me being on the wall.
Speaker 5: But that makes it more shriny.
Speaker 15: No, I think it's just it's just a Paris photo shoot. I think we have some lovely pictures together. I think we need to add some more so it's a little bit of diversity.
Speaker 5: Okay, right now, it's more like a homage to Paris, although.
Speaker 2: Then I do want to kind of very romantic for me, by the way, Yeah, you did a really great job. You guys both are like models. But I do I think that if Britt was to add more photos to the wall from different parts of yours, it's that makes it real shrining. Right now, it's just like a nice tribute, but we're we're heading really deep into shrine territory.
Speaker 5: I just want to make a tribute to my love. This is a tribute showed out to Ben.
Speaker 3: And an update on the shrine. Britt still has it hanging up in her Lund room. It's still there, very proudly. Way too high, it's too small. It still looks really awkward. But she's proud of it, and I'm kind of proud of her for sticking to her guns. I'm actually somewhat impressed, and I respect the fact she hasn't taken it down because of the public backlash that she faced from these photos. Coming up next in Our Rearing of You is the phenomenal Elizabeth Day. Now. Elizabeth Day is an author. She's also a podcaster, she has a podcast It's all about failure and what you can learn from failures in your life and over the course of life. I'm cut. Laura and britt have had many, many, many conversations about infertility. They've had a lot of conversations about being child free by choice and that journey to motherhood being more complex than what I think a lot of us expected it to be. But Elizabeth Day was I think the first person that we've ever spoken to who has come to peace with the fact that they were child free, but not by choice. Elizabeth went through a really tumultuous fertility journey. She had suffered many miscarriages, and this moment was where Elizabeth articulated where else she has found purpose in her life because she expected that she kind of wouldn't have that amount of purpose for anything other than being a mother.
Speaker 2: I can only imagine that that must be a very difficult process to go through the acceptance phase of that. What was those years of your life like or how did that When did you come to the decision that you were like, it's not going to happen for me. Yeah, very recently, and also to that at the beginning of this year, I'm now, as you know, married to a wander person, and we found out that I was pregnant naturally, completely out of the blue, just after my forty first birthday, and very sadly, that pregnancy ended in miscarriage. And then I got pregnant again and that one ended in miscarriage. And throughout it all, I was also undergoing various interventions, surgical interventions and like trying new treatments, and we decided to have a sort of cutting edge fertility treatment at the beginning of this year, and I'd put a lot of hope into that, and it was one of those situations where it felt like the universe was sending you signs saying it was all going to work. It was so weird, and it didn't, and that was also one of the lowest points. But this time I had someone by my side and it felt like we were sharing it and walking through our pain together, and that was actually part of my realization. I feel so lucky to have the relationship and the love that I have with my partner, and many people don't have that, and many people who don't have that will experience a quality of love with their children that is incredibly special. But I realized that so many people don't experience that kind of love and I already have that and that could be enough.
Speaker 11: And I'm now at peace and have let go of the trying to have a baby. And I never thought I would be at this point. And it has taken me many months. Actually, I had dinner with a friend last night. She's like, it's taken you nine months, and I was like, oh, that's so true, because this whole thing happened in January. And yes, I constantly felt like a failure. And I actually think a lot of the medical language seems designed to make women, specifically women, feel like failures. And obviously, I know on one level it's not my failure, but it felt like my body wasn't doing what so many other women could do and what so much of historical society affected me to do. And all the time that I was going through all of these various procedures, I was told, overwhelmingly by male consultants that I was failing to respond to the drugs. I'm sure you heard that.
Speaker 1: It's unsuccessful, that just the technology, Yeah, exactly, like my friend was told she had an incompetent cervix.
Speaker 11: Another person I know was told she had an inhospitable womb. But this is all language that is just accepted. It is quite it's used quite frequently. And one of the things that I have been passionate about in terms of having these sort of conversations is attacking that language because I internalized it so much for so long that it was really difficult to separate my feeling about myself and the baby I was trying to create, and so it felt really sad a lot of the time. And having conversations about it and writing about it made me feel better because that loneliness that we've discovered. The antidote to that was understanding that other people had these stories too, and for a long time, particularly women, but also men, felt a misplaced sense of stigma about fertility issues and didn't feel able to share. And I'm so glad that those conversations are opening up because I feel less alone as a result, and I feel more validated, and now I really understand being on the other side of it. My life has tremendous purpose, even if being a biological mother isn't going to be part of it. Not only are there other ways that we can parent, and I don't necessarily just mean having other children in my life. I mean in the way that we podcast or the way that we create that in some sort of way is an act of mothering or parenting or sharing or connecting. And I just want anyone who is listening to this who might be in the grip of a fertility journey right now and might not be able to see light on the other side. I never thought I would feel as at peace as I know I do. And I promise you that it is possible and that you will know when the time is right for you.
Speaker 3: I truly, truly loved that episode. Elizabeth spoke about all things to do with failure. She also spoke about this thing called fertility privilege that caused quite an uproar around the world. Really, there were many, many, many articles written about it, and when I first heard the words, I was a bit like fertility privilege, like that, it's an interesting termed phrase. But in that episode she explained what she meant by it, and I thought it was a very very insightful position to have on something and something that I feel better that I'm aware of for anyone around me who may be struggling with their fertility. Coming up next, in our Year in Review is one of the deepest and most weird rabbit holes that Laura has ever embarked upon. I don't know where this one came from, if I'm honest, but I remember sitting in the studio and I had actual tears of laughter rolling down my face.
Speaker 5: Because it was just it was so random.
Speaker 2: I went down a rabbit hole, a rabbit hole that satisfied me in ways I never thought it would. And now I know something I never thought I would know. But I really encourage everyone to go and google it. What was said rabbit hole? Have you ever googled what a pigeon's nest looks like?
Speaker 5: A pigeon? Actually?
Speaker 1: Yeah, every second Saturday I google that, Laura, Why would I have googled what a pigeon's nest is?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, everybody in a car, wherever you are listening, and maybe you're on a bus, maybe' on in a taxi, who knows, maybe you're walking hot go walk, Just stop and just google pigeon nest.
Speaker 5: Because pigeons are particularly poor at.
Speaker 2: Building nests, and the level of effort that they put into taking care of their home and raising their little egg child is truly hilarious.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to tell me something other than that. I thought pigeon nest was like a euphinism for something naughty or sexy, or I thought you were gonna like think you were googling an innocent pigeoness, but then pow, it's something else.
Speaker 5: But no, it's actually just a nest.
Speaker 2: It's a real nest. Can I just show you. I need to show you some examples of what a pigeon nest looks like. They'll just lay an egg anywhere. They'll go and get one single fucking stick and lay it next to their egg, and they'll be like, job done.
Speaker 5: Look at this shit. It's so funny.
Speaker 2: If you are feeling like you're having if you've ever felt bad at your job, if you've ever questioned or had like imposter syndrome, I thought, maybe I'm not equipped for this google pigeon nest and it will make you.
Speaker 5: Look at that one. The pigeon put a stick in an.
Speaker 8: Egg on a bed.
Speaker 5: Look at this pigeon. It laid an egg under a car.
Speaker 8: It's so funny.
Speaker 5: I can't see it. Can you see the egg under a wheel?
Speaker 1: I mean that's dangerous, My Grandma Rest in peace.
Speaker 5: She's no longer with us.
Speaker 1: My grandma spent her whole life racing pigeons. She's a pigeon racer. So I grew up with pigeons in a pigeon cage. I would be the pigeon lady. I'd walk into her pigeon and cage and you'd have to close it, and they were like, I'm not exaggerating. There were fifty pigeons in living together in this huge, huge pigeon cage. I shouldn't say that was an avery. And you'd walk in and I'd be that pigeon lady. I feel like I was, you knowing pet Detective Jim Carrey in that scene where he walks into his.
Speaker 2: They're called homing pigeons. I used to have a home in pigeon when I was a kid. This is all getting weird now.
Speaker 14: Wait sorry, racing pigeons and she would literally, I guess they're homing pigeons on roy though, like you would send them out and they'd have to go and do a job and then they'd have to come back, and it was a race and.
Speaker 1: It was hectic. I thought it was the coolest thing, but they all laid eggs like that, So I didn't know if that was an actual nest or if that was just a racing pigeon avery nest, because.
Speaker 5: The pigeons are so fast to get the job done. Leave the eggs anyway. Anyway, just go and do it. It's so good.
Speaker 2: It's so enjoyable to sometimes get down like a hole in the internet and you're like, oh, here we are here, we are looking at pictures of pigeon eggs, and it was really satisfying.
Speaker 5: I'm just wondering how many listeners we just lost that and you too, like hung home.
Speaker 2: I think if anything, if anything, people are going to be like, wow, I didn't know that, and I'm glad I do.
Speaker 5: There you go. That'll be the thing that you'll bring to the party on Saturday night.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: I don't think no, no, I don't think it will be. But I may or may.
Speaker 1: Not google it tonight when I'm on the lounge and I'm relaxed, I might go down the rabbit hole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna put photos on our social media, So if you can't be bothered, just go and have a look there.
Speaker 1: What actually brought you to the point where you wanted to know what pigeons nests look like.
Speaker 5: Things have been tough in life lately.
Speaker 2: But now, honestly, I don't know what happened. I read somewhere that pigeons were particularly bad at making nests. I read that and I was like, well, I wonder how bad? And then I found myself googling it and fuck it was. It was a really enjoyable little ride there.
Speaker 5: Okay, oh, the pigeons.
Speaker 3: When someone think of the pigeons, now, I know that what I'm going to say next is going to ruffle some feathers, but I still don't like them.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry.
Speaker 8: If you're a.
Speaker 3: Pigeon enthusiast, or if you have a lot of deep love for pigeons, I still consider them to be the rats of the sky. They're in the way everywhere, They're just.
Speaker 5: They're just annoying. Anyway, we need to.
Speaker 3: Stop talking about pigeons, So I wonder if the pigeons will continue into twenty twenty four. Coming up next to our year in review is the wonderful Trinny woodle Now. Triny is the powerhouse behind Trinny London, the makeup and the skincare brand that is her business, and she also might be known because I think it was around about two decades ago she had a television show in the UK where she was known for styling people and doing these makeovers. And now she does a lot of that work on social media, so you might see her doing outfits or doing different fashion based things on social media. She's an author, she is also a podcaster, and she is one of the women that I think really bucks the trend of this thing that we see amongst so much of our media. And I was actually a little bit shocked by her response to this, because I realized while the girls were having this conversation with her that she was actually.
Speaker 2: A little bit offended the mention at the beginning, the currency of the aging woman, the reason why we were speaking about this. There's been a lot of articles that have come out in Australia over the past year, and I think that it's come more into conversation, this recognition that as women get older, they seem to be less valuable. And I say that in terms of media, in terms of career opportunities, there's an invisibility that can happen. How have you experienced this in terms of well, what do you see because your career has only gotten more powerful, more amazing, and you have shined brighter as the years have progressed. But I would say that that doesn't seem to be the general take for most women or how they feel about themselves as they've aged.
Speaker 10: This is challenging because I've for the last thirty years work for myself all right, and I think when you work in a career for somebody else it can be more challenging. But there is also that sense of a glass ceiling, or you just imagine there is no ceiling. So through my life, I have never seen a fucking ceiling, okay, And I think it's not so much that sense of defeatism. It's not. But there's a lot of people who are in a situation where sealing to put on top of them and they have to really break through. And there are many champions out there on equal pay, on women's rights in the workplace, But there's also something about making your world less possible or making your world limitless. And for me, I've definitely had times when I felt it's not going to happen and sort of do vetherapy, but I've felt a disappointment in myself. I've never felt it's an outside force. I felt I haven't lived up to my potential, so I put the onus on me more than on the outside world. And I don't know. Everyone is different and everyone have a different circum situation. But I think that this is my best decade yet. I feel that emphatically. I mean I feel I know myself, I have self belief, I have self worth, I know who I am, I know what my faults are. Most of the time, I learn new ones every day. I think I have a gross mindset, not a fixed mindset, on fifty percent of my life. I think that what I found offensive is the word the aging woman. I found that really offensive because I feel ageless. You know, people, in every interview that I've had in Sydney, sitting down, there is that question, how does it feel that you're going to turn sixty next year? Every single interfere, like in the last when I was in New York too, and I'm like, I literally feel, what do I want to do for a birthday? That's literally all I feel. I feel no sense of I've never put an attachment to my ability with age ever.
Speaker 2: But that's the thing, right, all those questions, it all comes from the social structures around us that tells us that we're supposed to care. I mean, even at thirty seven, there's things that tell you that you're supposed to care. You have kids, you're supposed to care. I remember when I first had my children and I had this innate fear that my career was over, that I would not be able to continue in the same way that I had. And it's because, I mean, there are so many pioneering women who have shown that there.
Speaker 5: Are different parts.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, I think you still hit these milestones and you're up against what society tells you is capable. And I appreciate your perspective on whether you put the limitations on yourself or whether you can see that as limitless. But I think that that is a really amazing mindset that not everyone has. Hence why the questions come.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Another thing I love, and it's also ironic when it's written by female journalists, is that there's a look at her, how can she have a beauty brand? She does botox, all right, which is what I'll get, And I'll go, Yeah, I fucking do botox. I've done since I was thirty five. I didn't realize and it was, you know, stopping lines. It was because I did, Telly, and I have a very moving forehead and it's stopped my forehead moving and I was so relieved. But it's then meant I didn't get lines at my forehead. But I think that there are also other women who say, you know, in a way, they're sort of saying, why do you fight? Why didn't you age gracefully? And I fucking challenge that. And the reason I challenge it is I want to wake up. I want to look in the mirror and either I'll feel that already or I'll do something to make myself feel that where I have the energy to do anything I want to do today. All right. So I got up this morning. We had a long day. We started at five thirty, we ended at ten o'clock at night. I got to bed eleven. It was a long day for a twenty year old and for a six year old, all right. And then I got up this morning and I thought, do I go and work out at five thirty six? Do I really do that? But I thought, I want to look after my body, so looks after me. I want to feel full of energy. I want to come today and do the podcast and give you my best and I want to breathe every day. So that whole sense of that it's a vanity matrix, It isn't a vanity matrix. It's that we want to feel empowered and fantastic about who we are as people, and whatever it takes, whatever it takes, we have to stop judging, and we have to of women judging each other of you know, it can only be this past, like why don't you let your hair go green? Actually because I don't like my gray hair, because it will look like the end of a foxtail.
Speaker 3: I just absolutely loved getting to meet Triny Woodle. She's one of those people that she'll walk into a room and command attention, but not in an arrogant way, not in a like, not in a way that makes you think she's wanting the attention. She's just one of those people that walks into a room and you feel that there's the presence of someone there. I don't know if I'm explaining that properly, but she has that aura about her. She came into the studio with an entourage of like eight people, and they were all great. It was so nice to hang out with her and her team and learn from her. And Trinny spoke on this episode about something that she doesn't talk about very publicly. She has mentioned it before, but she doesn't talk about it much, and I think she must have felt quite comfortable with Laura and Britt to discuss this. Treating battled with a drug addiction when she was in her twenties, and the also of her life shifted hugely because of her ability to become sober, and that was a particularly interesting part of the episode. If you want to go back and listen through to it, I really really highly recommend it. Coming up next in our rear in your view is something that we speak about. I guess the topic we talk about a lot on Life on Cut. It's got to do with this either milestone anxiety or milestone disappointment.
Speaker 5: It's the idea.
Speaker 3: That you might not be at a certain part of your life as what you expected to be, or maybe you are there and it doesn't feel how you thought it was going to feel. We talk about it a lot at times, like what we're experiencing right now, you know that, like kind of Christmas New Year periods, they're these self evaluation times. And I think we also do it a lot on birthdays, and I kind of wish that I had had the vocabulary to talk about it, because now listening back to this, I think it was the moment that Laura and I realized what the words were for what I was experiencing, and it was a little bit of one of those figure out moments for me.
Speaker 2: And last year, although like birthdays can be such amazing, exciting, beautiful celebrations of like making another year around the sun, you spoke about something kind of like a milestone. Disappointment is what you coined it at this idea that during birthdays it's a period for you where you are not as happy or you're not as excited, and it kind of brings up the things that you don't have in life more so the celebration of the things that you do.
Speaker 5: How do you feel about it on this big three to zero?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this is my thirtiest, So this is a particular milestone. And I think since we had that conversation, I really sat and thought about it a bit, and I got a lot of messages from beautiful people that listen to the podcast being like, I feel exactly the same. This is so normal, and we spoke about how when your birthday rolls around, it it's kind of like that reminder of you're another year older, similar to New Year's, you know, like what have you done in this last year? What have you accomplished? What have you achieved? And then the flip side of it is what are you missing from your life that you really want? And so last year I really spoke about the fact that I had and I do think that I've had some unusually negative things happen on my birthday, like I've been made redundant, I've lost family members, like I've had some kind of actual, very life shitty things happen. But it just didn't ever seem to live up to the expectation. I would see other people in my life that were like, it's birthday week and they were so excited, and I felt almost the polar opposite. I actually had this immense sense of anxiety of like, oh God, everyone's gonna be giving me all of this attention, and I just feel as though I maybe am not measuring it, Like I just had this weird internal guttural like awkwardness about it.
Speaker 2: Did you feel as though that amplified year on you like, as you get older that that feeling became more because it's almost like, and I know when we talk about the things that you don't have in life, whether it's that you haven't got the career, or you don't have the relationship, or your life just hasn't met them mind milestones, the arbitrary milestones that we set for ourselves. Did you find that with each passing year that feeling got worse or was it just kind of this overarching birthdays fucking suck feeling.
Speaker 3: I think it did. I think it wasn't linear, like it wasn't like each year.
Speaker 5: It got worse and worse and worse.
Speaker 3: But I think the massive part of it was that, you know, I grew up in the kind of environment where if someone had said to me, oh, you'd be getting to thirty, you wouldn't be married, you wouldn't have had a family, which is what I thought I would have, you know, as a teenager, you're like, oh, that's what I expect to have in my future. And I think it just became a little bit more like, well, the years are going by, like plan A was here and my life was leaps and miles away.
Speaker 5: Ye right now, Yeah, but I.
Speaker 3: Also acknowledge that Plan F has been the fucking best, you know, and so I guess it was just this weighing up of like what I expected my life would be like at a certain time and what actually was like at a certain time.
Speaker 2: We had an interesting conversation the car on the ride over here, and you said that this birthday has felt significantly different though, that you felt like you've gone into your thirty of feeling happier. But also I think you recognize like the cliche of why you feel happier this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hate to admit because I don't think it's very self empowerment. I don't think it's very feminist to be like, yeah, this birthday felt really different because I woke up with someone that I really care about. My lovely boyfriend made me feel so special over the weekend. We went for a beautiful dinner last night, he spoiled me with gifts, and then like he stayed over at my house last night. I wonder if I would have felt the same about turning thirty had he not been a part of my life, and had he not made me feel so special, Because I think it really goes back to the fact that like I weigh up what I do and don't have on birthdays, and like I think if I had been turning thirty and still single, I maybe would have been like the years ago, no urinete f decade now and like you haven't found someone. And so I feel as though a lot of people that would have done that would have felt really lonely and like they weren't living up to what they wanted out of their life.
Speaker 5: Cause you to make me cry, I know, I don't know why I'm getting emotional.
Speaker 16: I think it's because I kind of feel a bit guilty for being like, you know, you should love yourself enough and you should be proud enough of what you've done that you don't need a boyfriend to feel good about yourself.
Speaker 3: But the truth is, it really does make me feel better about myself.
Speaker 5: So like maybe that's a bit of a fault, but the truth, it's not a fault. Like and I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, we talk about relationships all the time. It's this double edged sword. Right on one hand, we want to talk about being single in a way of if you can reach a place where you feel empowered by being single and you feel independent and like you have control over the life you live and control over your own happiness, all those things. You know, being single is way better than being in a relationship that it's an unhappy or unhealthy relationship.
Speaker 5: But just going back to something.
Speaker 2: That you said, this idea that it's like almost anti feminist, is okay to acknowledge the fact that some people feel lonely and they are looking to be in relationships and it's something that they fundamentally want in their life. Because you know, when we talk about relationships all the time, we often preach and Britain I have both done this, like we preach that you know, you have to get to a place where you're okay with being single, where you know it's great to be independent, it's great to know and to value all the things that you bring before being in a relationship yourself. But I do think that socially we put so much importance on relationships. We have placed relationships as a almost like an indicator of success. There is what success have you had in your work life? And there is what success have you had in your personal life? And hugely that personal life is romantic relationships. And I think secondary to that is our friendships. And I wish that dynamic would change, But I think birthdays and New Years particularly are these real milestone moments that can make people feel incredibly lonely when they don't have the thing that they want. And I want to reiterate the conversation we had on last year's episode. It's so okay if you do feel lonely in those moments, and you're not a failure for wanting to have something that you don't have. And I guess it's just this nice reminder that life is not static. Just because you're you're not where you thought you would be this year doesn't mean that you won't be there next year. And just riding that wave now the reason that this was one of my favorite parts of the year, And it could be a little bit selfish to be saying that, but it's actually because I learned so much from what Laura had to say in that moment I had been feeling.
Speaker 3: I think it's guilt. I think i'd felt bad for the fact that I had wanted a loving relationship so deeply in my life, and that I wasn't able to kind of articulate the fact that I felt a little bit ashamed for desiring that so much, you know, because I think we speak so much about being self assured, independent women, and I felt like that went against the grain. But from what Laura said in that moment, it actually made me realize that it's absolutely okay to deeply desire love in your life and to not want to be by yourself and to have that romantic connection.
Speaker 5: It's okay to crave that.
Speaker 3: Maybe this is something that you felt in your life, and perhaps you're single right now when you're really really desiring that deep love, and I don't want you to feel bad for that. I don't want you to feel as though you're incomplete for wanting that in your life. Coming up next in our rearing of you is I would go to say the wildest ask gun cut we have ever received. My heart still goes out to this person. I think about you all the time. We would absolutely love an aftermath, but this is the ask gun cut about the threesome that ended in a pregnancy.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm an absolute loss. My fiance and I have been together for six years. We have an amazing relationship, and shortly after we got engaged, we decided to make our secret fantasy a reality. After deciding that I didn't want to die wondering. I asked my fiance if he would be willing to have a threesome one of the experience for us both before we get married. We're both quite open and trusting with each other and wanted to experience just this one thing one time. We both agreed to doing this, and I ended up asking a friend of mine if she would be willing. We all agreed, and after a lot of great communication, we worked out what we were okay with and how it would all go down slash who would go down here. I felt comfortable and secure about doing this with a friend that I had asked because we're not super close, but we have known each other for a long time.
Speaker 5: I didn't really want to do this with a friend that would be around a lot. I didn't want them to be super close to me.
Speaker 1: She was very respectful about boundaries and made sure I was happy with everything. When it came to do and the deed, my fiance and I were both super stoked we did this, and we said we felt closer than ever.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 1: There's a lot in this, so I'm going to fast forward basically the next little while.
Speaker 5: We didn't talk to.
Speaker 1: That girl We messaged her twice just to keep contact, but she's not a close friend. Last week she called and dropped an absolute bomb shell on us. She called me when I was at work and told me that she was pregnant. I don't even have word craig bragante, and that my fiance is a father. I called my fiance straight away. He said, oh my god, I actually think the condom did break, but I was too drunk to remember or to even think about talking about it. She's decided to keep the baby. Holy shit, I know, she said. I feel really blindsided. I have no idea what to do. How do I even process this. My fiance and I do want kids together one day, but the idea of him having a baby with another woman makes me feel sick. He's so upset and confused about what to do or how to feel. How do we explain this to friends and family? How do we know if this can even work? I feel so overwhelmed. I don't know if I can stay in this relationship and move over it. But there's nothing wrong with our relationship except this.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, let's attack it from the top down. You can't do anything if she wants to keep this baby. That is absolutely one hundred percent her decision, and unfortunately, it means that if you want to stay in a relationship with your husband, your fiance, that this baby and it's mum, your friend, is going to be in your life forever, forever, and that's going to be something that you're going to have to make like you're gonna have to go to some therapy and you're going to have to come to terms with if it's something that you are able to do.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: I think realistically, I'm trying to put myself in your position, which is just I can't even I cannot even imagine what it is that you're going through. But I guess what I would try and compartmentalize is that this was a decision that you guys both made together mutually as a couple, that you wanted to do, and you didn't have any regrets after doing it. Obviously, you don't want to have a baby. That's not something that was on the cards or it wasn't a plan. But I don't think it has to come at the sacrifice of your relationship because he didn't go out and cheat on you. You mutually had this experience together and now the byproduct of that is that he's going to be the father or the DNA contributor to a baby. I think together the two of you have to make the decisions around one obviously if you're going to stay together, but to what sort of father, What sort of contribution does he want to make into that child's life. And that can be being a proactive dad, that can be not anything if he doesn't want to be. I'm not saying that that is the great option or that is the most moral option, but that is also an option. He can financially contribute to the child's life, but he doesn't have to be a proactive part of the child's life. And how do you explain it to friends and family?
Speaker 5: You tell him, I think you have to tell the truth.
Speaker 2: I think you be honest. I think you genuinely be honest. And I think the reason why you genuinely be honest, especially with people in your closest knit circle, is because the assumption is going to be that he cheated on you, And if you love your partner and you want to protect your I think you carry a bit of that weight together because he didn't betray you. Fucking hell wow. I mean, but I don't want to skim over this. I don't know if I would be able to survive this in my relationship.
Speaker 1: No, and this is the thing that I think I want to the angle I want to go down.
Speaker 5: I we need to cover it all. But I have thought about this for the last couple of days. I spoke to Beat about it.
Speaker 1: I've been really trying to get my head around what I would do in this situation. And I guess it's one of those things you don't know unless you're in it. I mean, she ends it with I don't know if I can accept this situation. Unfortunately, if you can't accept it, Whilst that's not fair, you don't have another option. You can't stay in a relationship if you're not going to accept it, because it is forever. I'm also making an assumption here that your partner is got and you if you stay in the relationship, because you will become a step mum. But your partner, I assuming he's going to do the right thing because you know it was a situation you.
Speaker 5: All willingly went into and it is a friend.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine a man in that situation being like, no, you're on your own making that as some that he's going to be involved in some capacity financially and physically.
Speaker 2: Do you think though, that that is the wrong thing. I always find this an interesting debate because I don't think this might caught me into a bit of hot water in may. I do think that you financially need to contribute, so if you have unprotected sex with someone. Firstly, I mean, it's terrible that the condom broke and he did not have a conversation with her.
Speaker 5: He didn't think about her, he was too drunk.
Speaker 2: Like that's a whole that is a really massive issue that we can't just skim over. Like morally, this is a situation he created by his irresponsibility, and he had sex in a way that she therefore did not consent to. And now she's pregnant, and this poor woman is having a baby that she didn't necessarily want to have, but is keeping it and that's you know, like that's her decision to do so. But I guess when it comes to the expectation that he has or that people have on him to be a proactive part in this child's life, I think financially and legally he has to be. But I don't think that a man has to be a father figure in a child's life that he didn't also agree to wanting to have.
Speaker 5: Does that make sense? Yeah, I mean I disagree.
Speaker 2: I think it's unfair, but I don't think that there's an expectation to toplay that part.
Speaker 1: I think it's a responsibility that you need to take in some capacity.
Speaker 5: Of course, you don't have to.
Speaker 1: If I was that child and I grew up knowing that my dad was my mum's friend literally down the road and he didn't fucking care about me. He threw me some money, sometimes it's going to have an impact. So I think it kind of sound to him it's a moral obligation. Obligation is probably the wrong word. It's a moral responsibility. You are not obligated if you don't want to. No human in the world obviously is. But I think it shows a lot if he isn't involved in his child's life. I don't think that in this situation money is enough personally.
Speaker 5: Especially when it was his fault. Yeah, and we don't say fault right, Well.
Speaker 2: It was he's caught, the condom broke and he was too drunk to actually acknowledge it or talk about it.
Speaker 1: That's his fault coming back to you because this is about you.
Speaker 5: I feel so sorry for you. But if you think that there is a way you can get through this, which I think you should.
Speaker 1: Probably try, if he's the love of your life and you are going to have kids one day together, if you really think.
Speaker 5: You can move through it, then you need to all talk together.
Speaker 1: You need to sit down with this friend, go through what's going to look like, what are the expectations, Are there boundaries? Then you need to have a conversation with your partner what do you want in this in terms of being a father? What do you want from me? Do you still want to have your own kids with me in that situation? There are so many.
Speaker 5: Aspects of this that you need to nut out the holy fuck.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, think I agree with you on some parts and I disagree with you on others. I definitely think the three of you need to sit down and have a very open conversation around expectations, around how you feel this is going to play out.
Speaker 5: I think you and your heartner need time to grieve.
Speaker 2: You need time to grieve this idea of the family unit that you were going to have. That's not to say that your family unit still won't exist. And it doesn't mean yes he will either. You know, your friend has his baby and he wants to be a part of it. There will be co parenting. That doesn't mean that that really relationship becomes his nucleart family or relationship. He will still go on to have a family with you. It just means that he will co parent and your kids will have a half brother or sister, which is going to be a weird thing to overcome. But you know what, in time, even weird situations become less weird, like they become normal. You guys will grow past it. Time really does. And it's the dumbest and lamest saying, but it is true. Time heals all, and in time you can get over so many things that you think you're not able to get over.
Speaker 5: But I think in.
Speaker 2: This instance, I would be really having conversations around expectations because you never know, your friend may not have the expectation that she wants him to be a proactive part of this child's life. She may want him to be a proactive part. She may want him to be, you know, a dad who contributes financially. Like I think having those conversations he might want to be proactive, like you just don't know what everybody is feeling, what everybody is thinking, and what the expectation is to show up to being a parent in this situation. And I think the choice to have the baby is entirely her choice, but how that baby is parented is not entirely her choice. And so that's something that the three of you can come to a decision on together. But I do think it is something you could work through. But you're going to have to be super open minded, and you're going to have to really communicate with the people around you who you love and respect and who are important to you, because ultimately you have to protect your partner as well as yourself and your relationship. And it's going to be the weird, big elephant in the room. But also, like, fuck it, you had a threesome. It's not like you didn't, no one cheated, no one did anything wrong. You had a consensual threesome. And I can only imagine how challenging this period of life is.
Speaker 5: But I genuinely think you can get through this.
Speaker 2: If this is the person that you've been with for six years, you know, I just think you can.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can work through it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's the most important thing as well that I agree with is when it comes out, you do need to tell the truth because otherwise it paints well two people in a really bad life, is the Cheaterah and her as a friend that also, you know, quote unquote fucked your partner.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but also when I say you have to tell the truth, you don't owe anyone anything. You don't have to over explain it, you don't have to just it you had a threesome, Like, you didn't break any laws, You did whatever the fuck you wanted to.
Speaker 5: You're three consenting adults.
Speaker 2: Yes, your parents might find it a bit challenging to understand. But you know what, like at the end of the day, people around you will come round to these sorts of things and I think, yeah, it's reopen as at all. No, but some people will and there will be like some guilt and shame attached to it, which they shouldn't be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, I'm just saying I think that part isn't no brainer for me, is the truth telling, because otherwise two people are painted as totally as really bad people that weren't. So unfortunately, it's a pill that you might have to swallow for a hot second. But in this day and age, I mean, everyone's talking about this kind of stuff now. It will hit different now to what it would have twenty years ago. It is an unbelievable situation. I think this is possibly the most challenging ask on Cup we've ever had. But I really do want to reiterate that the big thing here, and I think the part of the responsibility falls on the fact that your partner his condom broke and he did not communicate that. It is such a like I don't even have words for how much of a betrayal that is. And the fact that he didn't he was too drunk, it didn't occur to him that he should have had that communication means that all of those discussions that you guys had pre having that threesome, all of the conversations around your boundaries, around the way in which you were going to engage the respect for each other, all of that went out the window. And that really changes the basis of which the boundaries were set in terms of what was going to be okay and not okay in this threesome. I would love you to write in what happens and that might not be something you want to do, but this as an aftermath, I would love to know if you can get to a point where you're okay with it and you stay in the relationship and you guys move.
Speaker 5: Forward, or if you think you can't yeh oh oh, my god.
Speaker 2: The aftermath of this, and I think like the very last thing is go and have some therapy together, like you and your couple, the three of you, to talk through the complexities of this situation. I think, like, don't underestimate the importance of that process. And lastly, take it day by day because this is such a big and overwhelming decision that you need to make, and it feels so huge. But like I said, time kind of heals things. And as you take one step and then one day and you start working through what this looks like over the next nine months or however long she has that she's pregnant, it may seem like it is not so insurmountable when you start to break it down into smaller days. It's not to say that it's not going to be hard, but like it may feel more manageable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, far up now, Like.
Speaker 3: I just I still to this day, I listen back through that, and I'm like, I do not know what I would do. I have so much sympathy for the person experiencing that. But coming up next in our year in review, it is the last segment for us to get through. And the reason we included this in this year's highlights is because we would get I mean, probably about one hundred ask Gunclock questions to the podcast every week, and this this particular question seems to come in in different variations, but like very similar kind.
Speaker 5: Of feeling behind the question.
Speaker 3: It's about being single and feeling as though everyone around you is getting into a relationship, everyone around you is progressing into those different chapters of life, and you feel as though you're a little bit left behind. What I loved about this was what brit had to say about finding love a little bit later than what maybe you expected to and how different that love can look.
Speaker 1: I'm starting to feel really down about my lack of love life. I feel like all my friends are getting engaged or married and I'm the only one that's left single. I'm nearly thirty, and I've come out of a toxic relationship three years ago where my partner was having an affair. He moved on straight away. I've been on dating apps and I'm not sure if it's my city or what's going on, but I'm telling you it's the bottom of the barrel, and I don't want to waste my time with any of these people so far. I want to find someone with similar values or a similar lifestyle that align with mine. I'm very independent and I am fine alone, but I have reached a stage where I want someone to share my life with. I honestly feel like I'm going to have to wait for people to start getting divorced at this rate, or I'm going to have to literally move cities just to find someone. I'm starting to avoid going out or catching up with friends is it always feels like I'm the only one that's alone and not with a partner. When I do go, I end up feeling really sad and alone. I've been throwing myself into work too much, so I don't have time to feel sad because it's really starting to affect my confidence, and he's making me feel like there's something inherently wrong with me.
Speaker 5: I want kids.
Speaker 1: Someday, and I don't want to wait too late. I know there are options to do it solo, but I was raised by a solo parent, and I.
Speaker 5: Don't want that to be my life.
Speaker 2: I feel like this is so like you've gone into a spiral, Like there's so many parts of this that you're not just focusing on the you know, wanting to date and like meeting someone new, and you know that sort of initial stages. You're so far down the track of where you're future is going to be that there's too many things loaded into what dating means for you, and so like you're probably never going to be able to And I hate when people like just enjoy the dating phase, which is so easy to say when you're in a relationship and you have kids and you're in the place where the person who is wanting that is trying to get to you know, it's so easy to give advice from on top of the hill. But at the same time, I do also think that if you're so focused on everything that's in the future, then it makes what you have to do in the day to day seem so heavy and so shit and so unenjoyable. And the reality is is that dating is a numbers game. Dating is something that you know, the more dates you go on, the more people that you meet. The more that you trudge through the shit of life and weighe through the people who are unsuitable, the more likely it is that you're able to find someone who is someone who will be a great match for you. But it does come down to you. And I think it's great that you say, you know, you don't want to waste your time on these people.
Speaker 5: That's a great thing. You still have to go on the date. You still have to.
Speaker 2: Try and meet people, because if you think that everybody is the same and you're not going to put yourself out there now because you can't be bothered, or because you think it's a waste of time, you're not going to meet anyone by doing that approach or by having that approach.
Speaker 5: I feel like I literally could have written this question.
Speaker 1: Every single thing you wrote down, besides the solo parent like being in a single parent family. I feel like I have said, or I've written, or I have felt at some point in my life the only person that's single. The fact that you feel like thirty years old, the fact that you want kids but you don't know if it's going to happen, You're sick of dating, you're fine alone, but you want to share your life with someone.
Speaker 5: You're not alone in that feeling.
Speaker 1: In fact, I'm going to say most people feel that at some point in their life. And just remember a lot of people can still feel alone in a relationship as well. This is what I said to produce Akisha. Actually not long ago, so produce a Kisha went through this. Keisha had just turned thirty, so exactly the same age. And we know that she's with toblerone now and she's in this great relationship, but that hasn't been that long.
Speaker 5: I guess seven months, I think.
Speaker 1: But we had this conversation just before she met Tobleron and she said exactly the same thing. She said, I just feel like I'm so sick of dating and I feel like at age thirty, I should have had my life together and I want to be in that relationship and I don't want to meet these people anymore.
Speaker 5: And I've had enough and everyone's shit like, and she.
Speaker 1: Got into this really low point and I said to her, I said, just think of my life as you know it. I went on the Bachelor at age thirty to give Kisha and to give you guys context, like thinking how long ago that was. And I was your this girl's age right now, She's like, I'm nearly thirty. I feel like life's over. My life changed dramatically at age thirty, and it took a completely different turn. I feel like I've met the love of my life now. And I met him when I was in this exact position. I did not want to date anymore. I was so sick of meeting people and telling my story. I was so sick of going out. And I met him at thirty five years old. So think of how much time you've got. People put a lot of weight on a number on the age of thirty, like society expects us to have done all these things by thirty, by forty, so almost like we rounded up to these decades.
Speaker 5: You don't have to have done anything.
Speaker 1: And I know you want to feel like you're sharing with life with someone, but I think it's more important to share it with the right person and to wait.
Speaker 5: But exactly what you said, Laura, it's.
Speaker 1: Not, unfortunately, gonna walk in your door and fall on your lap.
Speaker 5: Like it's not just going to I mean, maybe it does. You might be one in a million.
Speaker 1: Maybe somehow, like some sort of sitcom orm com, it happens but chances are you're going to have to keep putting in the effort. You definitely don't need to waste your time with somebody, but you need to waste enough time to know whether you're going to waste your time or not in the future.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And also, I mean this whole idea of you wrote here, I honestly feel like I'm gonna have to wait for people to start getting divorced. Fair there is definitely a second wave that comes, but total that's not coming yet. Just you know, in terms of age and where you're at, you don't have to wait for people to start getting divorced if you're only twenty nine. And I know that that, Like we said, it doesn't have to be an age thing. And I don't want anyone to think that we're like, oh, you're so young, because that's an infuriating thing to be told when you want to be in a relationship and you want to settle down and all those things. Same time, waiting and having in your head that potentially the next wave of men is where you're gonna find the person for you is definitely not goit. But the other part was you said, I'm starting to avoid going out or catching up with friends, as it always feels like I'm the only one alone and not with a partner. That's so shit, and I hate that you're doing that to yourself. I hate that you are avoiding your friendship circles because seeing other people in relationships is a reminder to you that you're not in one, and therefore you are isolating yourself even more. I really think, like, don't do that. And the reason why I say this is because all that's going to do is compound and impact you. And you think that you're avoiding the fact that you don't have to see your friends in a relationship. You know it's not bringing this up for you, but all you're doing is closing your circle off. You're making your friendship group smaller, You're making your connections smaller, which also in turn makes it harder for you to meet people because often it's through our friends and through our friends connections where we can actually meet someone. You know, you might go to a party, or you might go to an event, or you might go out for lunch or something and your friend's friend might bring someone and that could be how you meet. But also in saying that, it is also okay to organize things with your girlfriends and not have their partners there. If there's moments where you feel like you need to just have your friends around you and not have it kind of in your face that everyone's in a relationship except for you, then organize things that are just with your closest friends that aren't with their partners as well. And I think that that's totally acceptable. But don't remove yourself from your friendship groups because you think that it's this reminder that you're alone. And I really think with this question, there were so many parts. Like I said at the beginning, there were so many bits that have made you feel hurt, and I think you have to break it down. You have to break it down to the dating. Then you have to break it down to like, you know, hanging out with your friends. And then you have to try and not think about this idea of like, well, maybe I'll be a solo parent in the future, because that's not going to happen, Like that's not something that you have to be thinking about now. And all that's doing is compounding and creating more anxiety and more fear around where it is right now for you, and that is that you're in the dating game, and sometimes it can be fucking rough.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The few other things that I want to break down in this question as well, because there are so many parts to it. One is something that I have noticed is it does move faster the older you get, so like when you meet the right person, the same time frames don't apply. And that's with all of my friends, everyone in my life, it's been exactly the same, right all of my friends.
Speaker 5: I've got family members that have met people later in life.
Speaker 1: It happens quickly because you're more sure of who you are, where you are in life and what you want. And generally speaking, the person you've met is probably the samesh age and the same part of life, and they're the same they know what they want as well, So things definitely happen quicker. So I don't want you to think that, like, oh, what if I don't meet someone till thirty four, then we have to do three or four years of dating.
Speaker 5: Then we have to You don't know, it could happen in a year.
Speaker 1: You could be so obsessed with your partner and fell pregnant and get married and get engaged in the love of your life.
Speaker 5: You don't know the other part.
Speaker 1: Is you said, maybe I need to move cities, and this one I think a lot of people automatically put their guard up and say, oh my god, it's so drastic, like you don't have to do that. But what I want to say is that is actually a thing, and that is actually an option. Depending on where you live. Now, you're not going to consider this, or maybe you will. But if you have no family and no friends anywhere else in the world, like if your world is located to the city or in you're probably not going to want to move anywhere because you're going to feel just as alone. Maybe you're that person that does thrive in an environment where they meet new people and they have no connections. But moving cities to find people is a real thing, and it's a thing people have to do, especially if you're from a really small place. If you spent all your life there, if it's where you grew up, chances are you do know everyone and you don't want to have a relationship with any of those people. There are definitely certain cities that people go to to settle down, Like people move to these cities when it's time to have kids and have their married life.
Speaker 5: That is all accurate.
Speaker 1: I don't know where you are from, but if you that chances are really really slim that new people are constantly coming into your town and you're not going to meet anyone, it could be something that you actually consider.
Speaker 5: I'm very pro that.
Speaker 1: I don't know how you feel about that, Laura, but you've got to make sure you're going to be moving somewhere that you are comfortable with and you're not giving up your entire life just for the reason of finding a partner. It still has to have more around it, like opportunities for jobs, excitement. Maybe you do have family and friends there something new.
Speaker 5: But I'm not against that.
Speaker 2: I'm not against it, but I mean it's hard to kind of make that judgment call without knowing where you're from, because, like I would say that people feel the same as you.
Speaker 5: Feel regardless of where they are.
Speaker 2: There are people who are in Sydney who feel like this, there are people who are in Melbourne that feel like this. There's people who are in far North Queensland who feel like this. Like I do think that it doesn't necessarily just change dependent on the area that you're in, and you might have just as little luck dating being in a major city or wherever wherever it is that you end up. So I think it's hard to kind of make that assessment without actually knowing where you're based and how regional and tiny the population of this town is. Which if you are in a totally rural area and you live out on a farm and you barely ever meet anyone, then yeah, absolutely that is relevant. But I think it's the exasperation with dating that so many of us can feel regardless of where you're at, and feeling like that there.
Speaker 5: Are no good people and that no one aligns with you.
Speaker 2: And it's easy to feel like that after you've been on ten dud dates or twenty dud dates or whatever the number is.
Speaker 5: Sometimes it's less than that. Sometimes it's five dud dates in.
Speaker 2: A row, where, like you know, you're like, fuck, who are these people and where are they coming from? But I really do think it's a numbers game, and it's a numbers game, but it's also a numbers game in a way where you're not getting attached to a person before you go on a date with them, so when they do turn out to be someone who's not someone who's aligned with you, it doesn't feel as much as a big deal because you haven't worked it up into your mind as to who this person could or should be. You're just like, Okay, I know that they're not right for me, and then you start the dating process again. I really want to acknowledge the fact, and I know we kind of already said it, but it's so easy to say this, and I think give yourself a little bit of grace and a little bit of kindness, because everybody who is dating, who wants to be in a relationship, who has been single for a longer period of time, feels like this. You are not alone in feeling like this, but the fact that your friends are in relationships probably amplifies those feelings of loneliness. It's a shit place to be and when you want something that you don't have yet, but it is truly a matter of time.
Speaker 3: Well, my friends, that is it for the twenty twenty three rear in your view. I hope you had such a good time going through those segments with me. I absolutely love putting this episode together because I get to go back and kind of relive the best bits. As I said at the start, the links for every single one of these episodes will be in the show notes if you want to go back and listen through to.
Speaker 5: The whole thing.
Speaker 3: Oh, I've just realized, actually this is not our last episode of the year. We have got a bonus accidentally unfiltered of your holiday So like Christmas, New Year's themed accidentally unfiltered embarrassing stories, it's an absolute.
Speaker 5: Laugh and a half. It'll be coming out.
Speaker 3: I wish I could give you the exact day, but we are no less chaotic than what we were in twenty twenty two, so it will be in the next couple of days for you, and then over the course of the summer, we are going to be dropping some of the wonderful conversations that we had with our incredible guests at the live shows that we did in October, so that will be brand new content, never heard it before, and it will be dropping into your podcast libraries and we will be back.
Speaker 5: I think it's the week of January twenty two.
Speaker 3: I'm not one hundred percent short, but we will be posting it all over our socials, so you can follow us along on Instagram at Lifehung Up Podcast, same thing for TikTok. We also have the Life Uncut discussion group, which is where all the chit chat goes down. So if you have a dilemma that you want people's opinions on, if you want some recommendations, if you just want to have a bit of event, we'll ask a question about dating or your relationship or whatever it might be. If you want a group of friends, join the Facebook group.
Speaker 5: And I think that's it. I think that's the admin. Because Delilah has just walked into the room.
Speaker 3: She's wanting some pets. So I'll go and spend the rest of my Christmas New Year break hanging out with.
Speaker 5: Her, going for some swims.
Speaker 3: I hope you're able to have a really, really wonderful New Year's and we'll catch you back in twenty twenty four. You know the drill, Tell you mum, tell your dad, tell your dog, take your friends, and share the love because we love love