Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to Outspoken. It's your dose of the hottest influencer and pop culture news twice a week. I'm Sophie Torbah and coming up on today's show, Sarah's Day's Quest to find the best seven seater Luxury mum car. Karina Irby's new PJ line is labeled tacky and Expensive and Tammy Hembro's troublesome housemate. But first, Mollie May has proven yet again amy why she is just so relatable. Yeah so. Over the weekend, Mollie shared a YouTube where she took her followers along to the BAFT Awards and to set the scene, there were some pretty big names in attendance, including Kylie Jenner and Timothy Shallow. May Now on social media it looked like a very glamorous event, but Molly later revealed in the comfort of her hotel room while sipping a peppermint tea, that she had to make an early exit halfway through her meal due to trapped wins. So to translate that for everyone, Mollie needed to fart. Let's have a listen to what she said.
Speaker 2: Right, seem we are back from the bafters and I'm just pouring peppermint tea. Because I have to be honest, I got the world's worst.
Speaker 3: This is TMI. I got the world's worst trapped wind from sitting in the same position for so many hours the ceremony, I've got to be honest with you. It put the on in long. It was such a lovely evening, though, but also because I got such a saw stomach from sitting in the same position, we had to leave like halfway through the meal because I was in so much pain. I was like, I literally cannot sit here. Like does anybody else get that when they sit crunched up for too long? Or like if you're driving in like the same position for too long, like I get really bad trapped wind. I don't even I'm not really even like a drumpy gal, so I don't even know why the wind's getting trapped because its not like the wind would usually exit.
Speaker 1: I felt so seen when I watched this video, because you know, when you think this is something that just happens to you, because no one really talks about it. I've been to so many events where I'm like I need to go and just be by myself, let it out. I think people underestimate how much trapped gas can actually hurt. There's been people who have been rushed to emergency rooms because they've assumed something more debilitating than that. Well, she wasn't exaggerating as well, because the BAFTA Awards went for fourteen hours. What Yeah, and so she was having to sit probably in quite an uncomfortable dress. Yeah, she said she was sitting in this really crouched over uncomfortable position, and in the vlog she had to get up at the crack of dawn to drive. I think it was like three hours to get a hair and makeup done. I know when I've had big events on like weddings, and you're getting ready all day and you tend not to eat very much and then your stomach just fills with air, And I think that's the big issue. Or you think I'll be healthy and have something like fruitulie. That's not going to have that much of an effect it does. Anything with fiber, well, I don't think it also helped that the entree at the Bafters consisted of caviat probably not the best food if you're feeling gassy. I had a laugh because I noticed in the background when Molly was sipping on her peppermint tea that there was a lot of McDonald's takeaway, and I was like, that's quite a lot of food. And then I realized that she was actually sharing the room with two other girls. I'm like, the poor thing. She just wants to go and fart in peace, and she's got two other people there. I love that this is the second episode that we're talking about farting. We got some feedback from one of our OG listeners that he loved our discussion on the maths fart and that he's never heard women say the word fart so many times, which I mean I had to listen back. I was like, I suppose we did say it quite a bit. But hopefully Rodney gets a laugh out of this one. What is the ultimate mom car?
Speaker 4: Well, hopefully we're about to find out, because I'm in the market for a new mom car with seven seats bougie fossmum vibes. So let's get started with car number one.
Speaker 1: Sarah's Day has assured her followers she's not out of touch after launching a social media series reviewing luxury family cars. The OG Wellness Warrior claims she's only sharing this series because her followers asked for it and not for her own personal gain, Kay, can you tell us more well, Sarah's day is in the market for a new luxury seven seedar family car. And I emphasized the word luxury because as you're about to hear it later, she used that word a lot when discussing her desired car. Sarah is now a mum of three, so she needs a bigger car. And at the moment she's driving her dream car, which is a five seedar Range Rover Sport. Before that, she had a sponsorship deal with Mazda. Now, the fact Sarah advertised that she's car shopping to a one point two million Instagram followers has led many to speculate that she is either shopping for a car sponsorship deal or already has one on the road. Some one case, she's just showing us commoners how the rich do things look. I don't think with a three month old baby, she's doing anything for free. I'm very skeptical that this isn't some sort of paid partnership or sponsorship deal. She isn't really known for disclosing ads very well well. A day before releasing the first real of the series, Sarah took to her Instagram story to provide a disclaimer that she wasn't out of touch. Alongside a selfie of her duck Pouding in the car she was trialing, she wrote, Remember, I'm in the market to replace my current luxury car. I just need more seats, so the bar is already high, and I have high expectations when it comes to certain features of a car. Keep in mind if I do decide to post the little review I filmed for the first car I've tried. It's categorized as a luxury seven seater, so I have reviewed it as such. I comment mostly on cosmetic elements of the car, but honestly, that's what I'm interested in when reading and watching reviews of the luxury seven seaters I'm looking at buying. Don't come at me for being out of touch. I can assure you I'm not, and I acknowledge it's an absolute privilege and blessing to even be shopping this category. However, when a car is classified in the luxury car category, naturally they're held at a higher standard and the buyer will expect certain features. I think we can all understand and appreciate this. Okay, that is all and She finished with the thumbs up. This ogi this is what convinces me that she has some sort of paid partnership deal in the wings, because why would she want to ostracize her audience like this. She's already copying flak for being out of touch and promoting this luxury car that most of the moms who follow her will majority of the moms who follow her would not be able to afford. So what is the point of doing this? When you see a disclaimer like this, you know that the real is going to be absolutely obnoxious.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sarah followed up in another slide, saying, don't worry, I'm not out here trialing in Aston Martin, Lambeau or Ferrari. Just everyday cars have been classified by their brands to be in the luxury category. Nothing crazy, I promise a lot of the way you keep saying luxury, get luxury. She also added a pole with the voting options yes, post your review, I'm interested in No, I don't care now. The yes was a resounding winner with over ninety percent of the votes. It's a bit weird for Sarah to reference an Aston Martin as being sort of an out of touch car because she's already purchased one of those for her dad a couple of years ago, which obviously is incredibly generous because she gave it as a gift to her dad, But you do buy luxury cars. To be fair to her, though, she didn't make a huge video about doing her dat a car, which a lot of influencers would have done for content. It was mentioned in a vlog though it was, but it wasn't like click baity like I bought my dad at Aston Martin, which I really don't like when people put that sort of stuff on TikTok or YouTube. It's a bit vulgar. It kind of seems a bit patronizing to people's parents. Well, it's a hard one as well, because we've had this discussion before where there are influencers or podcasters who are clearly making a lot of money, but they feel they're unable to disclose this to their audience. Whereas you've got Sarah. She is at least being honest about how much she's earning and what she's buying. That's the thing. I don't think anyone is upset that she's successful. I think it's more the tone. Yeah, it's very much. The tone is quite condescending. Now, while the Instagram poll was a resounding yes, Sarah revealed her dms told a different story. She described them as being a mix of beautiful and fiery. Here's more of what she said. I don't understand.
Speaker 6: I think people forget I'm just a content creator, right like I think Instagram is just a place to be entertained. And there is no ulterior motive to me documenting this, like I wasn't even going to document it me finding a new car to buy.
Speaker 1: As for the decision to share the content, Sarah said she was motivated by organic interests from her followers. She also said that she was surprised how interested they were when she briefly mentioned she needed to sell her car, and she did preface that if it ever seemed like she was sharing content outside of her normal realm, that it was for one of these two reasons.
Speaker 6: It's either I'm really passionate about it and I want to mix it up, because guys, I've been doing this for eleven years, Like, I just film things that make me happy. I'm a creative.
Speaker 1: At the end of the day, it doesn't surprise me she's getting that negativity in a DM. So because we are at a cost of living crisis. A lot of influencers seem to keep overlooking that fact. Now. Sarah was also adamant that the series was merely a fun creative project and not a way to financially gain This is what she said.
Speaker 6: And also, you don't get paid for reels like people were like, you're monetizing this.
Speaker 5: I'm not.
Speaker 6: You don't get paid for Instagram reels like this is just for fun. The only thing I get paid for for view U is YouTube videos. You get like sense perview literal sense, But like Instagram and TikTok in Australia, you don't get paid like this is literally just fun and you guys ask for it. So yeah, if I ever film something that's like out of my norm, which like never books yourself in, you can film whatever you want to do, it's either like people have asked or I'm just like this is a fun idea.
Speaker 1: I want to debunk what Sarah said there because I think it's a little bit misleading. She is correct in saying that Instagram and TikTok don't have a creative fund or ad sense like other platforms or in other countries. However, she still earns money from her reels on TikTok because she monetizes a lot of her reels and also Instagram stories by featuring sponsored products. I would be confident in saying that Instagram would be the social media platform where she makes the most money for it. She wouldn't be making heaps on her YouTube ad sense. I mean, I think she keeps around YouTube because that's where she started, and that's where she can tell longer form stories and really connect with her audience. But I think the money maker here is definitely Instagram, and she's not just creating content out of the goodness of her heart to entertain the masses. She gets paid a lot for doing it, whether that's through paid partnerships or promoting her own products like a cookbook that she sells. I found it interesting just how many disclaimers and Instagram videos Sarah put out before just dropping what was supposed to be an apparent fun video and piece of content, because she went on to then accuse her followers of having double standards.
Speaker 6: If I was Kurt or just like a man who run his own company, worked really hard, had their own business for over ten years, no one would bat An Eiel it. If I was just filming random reels of me replacing a luxury car, like shopping around and like comparing them, no one would say anything. It'd be like, oh, that's interesting, I wonder what he's gonna buy it. But as soon as you're a female, it's like a completely different story.
Speaker 1: Look, she does have a point, but I do think in this instance it's a little bit of a lazy way to deflect the negative commentary that she was getting. I don't like when people just pull the gender card so that they can just do whatever they want, because at the end of the day, in this instance, I don't think people are being sexist. I think people have an issue because she's being toned. To Karina Rbie, who were discussing later in the episode, she had a similar sentiment this week. She feels like she cops unnecessary negativity in the press for sharing about her luxury items, and said if she was a man and a successful male business owner, it wouldn't be the case. I get where they're coming from, but I definitely don't think that this is what's at play in this particular situation. And Kate, you first saw this video and you told sof and I about it, and I thought, oh, surely it's not that obnoxious. But my jaw was a jar while watching. When you're talking about this review, that would obviously go into because Sarah uploaded it a couple of hours after sharing the disclaimers on her Instagram story. Now, cart number one of this review series ended up being a Lexus GX five point fifty. I wasn't expecting much from the real because Sarah said the filming was really rough because she was holding her baby, Harlowe, and she also said that she wanted to reshoot it but didn't have time. I was then very surprised when the real ended up being professionally shot by Sarah's husband, Kurt, who is a videographer. Or was it professionally shore I thought it was on the phone, but it was edited in a really nice way. Oh, I think it was a pretty good real. It wasn't just something where you pop the camera open film. As soon as I saw the car shots or it was like blue yeah, yea, I was like, that's Kurt. Throughout her career, she and Kur have always had top quality content, Like they never put out anything that looks crap. Yeah, and Kurt also featured in this video, which is quite unusual these days for Sarah's content. I mean, back in the day he was always there, but he's very busy with his business and everyone is always like, oh, we want more Kurt, but he's just never in the videos anymore, which again makes me think that there's more to just this simple review video. Yeah, it was very clear from the get go that Kurt had a vested interest in this video. The fact that he was filming it and the fact that he was in it was a big giveaway. But then he started spooking all the features of the car. It almost felt like he was working for the brand, and that's probably because he previously has worked for Lexus. So in January last year, he shot a campaign for the car brand. He shared photos to his Instagram alongside the caption a few of my favorite car shots from a recent campaign with Lexus Australia, and Lexus Australia's Instagram account responded with our love heart under Kurt's post. Also back in November twenty twenty three, Kurt was hired by Lexus to shoot content for their function at the Melbourne Cup, so he clearly is in bed with this brand. So it must have been easy for him to organize a car for Sarah. Yes, it's very interesting. Now. While Kurt tried very hard to sell this car, Sarah, on the other hand, seemed more focused at being ultra picky about the car's luxury features, and it was clear she would have preferred trialing the next model up.
Speaker 4: Here's what she said, I should preface this is the luxury version, and if I was to get it, I would get the sport Luxury, which is one tier up. It would have different rims, but I would probably get new rims anyway, because I want big, bad mungle rims.
Speaker 1: The car sunroof also didn't appear to be up to Sarah's standards.
Speaker 4: A current car has a full moon roof, like all the way back, here is.
Speaker 6: The sunroof open it?
Speaker 4: I wonder if there's a version where it like you get a bigger.
Speaker 1: One, always got the sun? Can we close?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Is there no shade?
Speaker 6: Oh it's manual.
Speaker 1: I sound like.
Speaker 4: Such a princess, But my rang drover, you just boop and it goes okay.
Speaker 1: Don't you hate it when you have to manually pull the sunroof shade over? I mean, we've all been there before. And it's also not big enough. Oh, absolutely slumming it with that sunroof for me. Normally I just get my butler to open it for me. Well, the automatic boot also wasn't high tech enough for Sarah.
Speaker 6: I'm pretty sure in the sports luxury when you do this, a handful of baby, a handful of groceries. When you do that and it opens Ooh.
Speaker 4: As a mum, little things like that make me buy a car, I just want to whoop and I want to.
Speaker 3: Manual.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm not a mum yet, but that is actually a really good feature for months. I also, I want to say that it would have looked fake if she was gushing too much about the car, because she's prefaced that this is going to be a review, So I mean, she does have to point out some of the features that she does or doesn't live, but not in such a way that it's like, oh, I'm just so above it that I need my car to do all of these again, it rubbed me up the wrong way. It came down to tone. I couldn't help but laugh when Sarah said this after making the back seats lay flat down with the press of a button.
Speaker 6: I feel like most of the yummy mummy cars have this. At this point, I'm still impressed.
Speaker 1: I mean, my car does not do this. I've got a Kia Sportage. I call it my soccer mum car, but I actually have to manually put the seats down. It does seem like Sarah has a problem with Kias because she went on a ramp before posting all of these reviews how she never would want a Kia Carnival, which is known to be a really popular mum's car. Does that mean you're not a yummy mummy cake, because I feel like there was also this emphasis on you're only a hot mom or a yummy mummy if you're driving around in a luxury you're some ugly daggy mum if you don't have a fucking Lexus or a range Er. I did see this mum right under uneath in the comment section, I'm pretty happy with my rav four with my four kids, and then Sarah wrote a comment back like, oh, yeah, they're great cars. My mum has one. Yeah. I mean, I don't particularly like the term yummy mummy either. Reminds me of that TV show that was on a couple of years ago Channel seven. It was all those rich mums that got like Mercedes g. Waggers was apparently one of the yummy mummies, the one from Adelaide. She drives around with the number plate Yummy. I went to her house so when I was working at the thirty six as, we got her on board to be an ambassador and we had her sit in Courtside and we filmed something at her house and I saw remember the room. It was like, what's a brand that she really liked was? It was a Fasaci room and she was lovely. The whole family was so home. That show went off overseas, so all the massive ms, so all of the yummy mummies ended up. I think she's got like is it a million followers or something ridiculous? So I feel like the term yummy mummy, I gree it feels very twenty fifteen, like as if your only value in being a mum, as if you're an attractive fit. And adding the term boss babe. Yeah, the whole thing felt so ten years ago, like my boss babe car. Also the word bougie. I know we said it on the podcast a bit, but I actually hate that word. Yeah, I mean, i'd much prefer to be called a milk I'm just joking myself now. At the end of the video, Sarah raided the car eight stars out of ten and asked her followers to comment below what car she should try next now at the time, Kia Carnivals. Yeah, I would love the Oh my god, imagine how brutal it would be.
Speaker 5: I find it.
Speaker 1: Offensive because it's funny. When I was looking for a new car earlier this year, Dale was like, you should check out the Kia Carnival. He's like, I want you to be a soccer mom, and I was like, how many kids do you think we're having? Like, I don't think we need seven seven that's a bus. Yeah they are, and we actually hired one for my wedding when we wanted to drive. Anyway, It's a good people, It's actually a really good car. So I told Dale on the weekend. I was like, Sarah's day has been bagging out Kia Carnivals and He's like, what the fuck.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: At the time of recording, The Real has notched up one point two million views on Instagram and one hundred ninety seven thousand on TikTok, clearly creating hype about the real before uploading at worked, and it does seem like Sarah purposely pumped it up for engagement. If Lexus are a paid partner, then they're probably pretty happy with these views. But are they They were going to buy a Lexus from seeing that video?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: Also, does her audience have the funds to buy a seven seed luxury Lexus as well?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: It might have been a branding exercise, but also was it good publicity for them? Because I feel like there are a lot of people deterred and put off and saying she was out of touch because of it. I actually can't believe how many people were genuinely commenting on what car they wanted her to try next, and the majority of people were saying how much they enjoyed the series. I wonder if Sarah was moderating the comments though, because when I was looking through the TikTok ones, there was a comment that says something like, oh, the comments aren't it And people had tall poppy syndrome, but there were no negative comments on them, so it seems like they had been deleted. Well, if you are trying to impress a brand like Lexus, you probably do want to filter out some of those negative comments where your audience is basically saying that they don't relate to this and it's out of touch.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: A Reddit thread dedicated to Sarah's luxury car series Saga was a different story, though, One anonymous poster wrote, this fucking pissed me off. Who even posts this shit? Just buy a new car and get on with it. I hate people who flaunt their shit like this, and she knows damn well some of her mum followers stress about even putting food on the table. Another said, laughing my ass off, the fact she doesn't think she is out of touch is actually hilarious. She has multiple homes and expensive boat loads of designer clothes and accessories, constantly does unnecessary and expensive skin treatments. The list goes on, She's actually delusional. Holy smokes, this post is making my blood boil. The tone of this is actually so condescending and rude. Another years of wrote, Girl, my father and half of my colleagues just lost their jobs because of the United States government. I don't want to hear shit about you buying a new luxury car while you're completely renovating a vacation home. Now, I do want to preface that Sarah is well within her rights to buy whatever luxury car she wants, and if she does want to document it to her f that's fine. The thing that I have an issue with is firstly the way she did it was pretty tone deaf, but secondly it's to do with the ad disclosure. So there was a lot of confusion in our Facebook community about what the actual issue was with this series, and that is it for me, because if the series is sponsored, Sarah really needs to disclose it. Because in twenty twenty one, the AAANA updated their Code of Ethics to ensure influencers met the same advertising standards as traditional forms of advertising. So the new code essentially requires influencers to clearly disclose a partnership, which includes paid and contra and this means influencers like Sarah must make it clear, obvious and be upfront with their audience the relationship they have with the brand, so they either have to use the inbuilt paid partnership tools or use hashtag ad or hashtag sponsors. Sarah has stated several times that this is not an AD, so we will have to take her on her word, but it will be interesting to see if this series keeps going and what car she ultimately decides on. Maybe in her head, if she does have a deal with Lexus, she doesn't think that she has to disclose it until she gets that car, because what it seems like if she has organized a deal through a car company, what would probably happen is that car company would loan her a car for a number of years, which she could then upgrade. It's not like they're giving her a completely free car. I wonder if the deal could potentially be with a luxury dealership, so instead of the deal being just with Lexus, it's with a dealership who is going to give her a range of different cars to try, and then maybe she thinks that the car she then gets, that's when the sponsorship starts. As you said, Amy, well, I'm a bit suspicious because we have seen something similar play out with Hiro, which is the electrolyte company that she's now part owner of. So the seven months before disclosing that she was a partner of that company, she was promoting this product all over a social media saying that it was this product that she organically liked, when it really wasn't. It was something that she is financially benefiting off I want to talk about the cost of this car. I was really curious when I saw her upload the real because I would have no idea what something like this would set you back. I'm not really into cars. I had a look and the LEXUSJX five point fifty is one hundred and thirty thousand dollars, while the sports model that Sarah wanted is one hundred and forty five thousand. For most of Sarah's followers, who are every day Australians who are probably struggling at the moment to get groceries on their table, I don't think that this car is in their realm of possibility. I don't think that there's mums looking at this thinking that this is possible for them at all. And I mean, I know we talk a lot about how influencers also provide a bit of an escapism for people, and it's fun to see influencers trialing things that you might not be able to afford. So it did seem like her audience did get some enjoyment out of it, But I think there would be a lot of mums feeling ostracized and alienated by it, particularly key drivers. I think she sort of touted this as come and find a mum car with me. See, I actually don't think it was like that at all. From the get go. She used the word luxury about twenty times and said this is I have high expectations because I've driven this luxury car before. There was no ounce of relatability in that disclaimer at all. I'm so sorry, but I'm about to do a full rant. I'm smiling, but I'm so pissed. Bikini Mogulkarna Irby is facing backlash after releasing a new skin friendly pajama line, which her followers have labeled tacky and too expensive. Social media users erupted after discovering they'd have to shell out two hundred and eighteen dollars to get their hands on a matching PJ set. Now sophy this pajama line is an extension of Corina's bikini brand. Yeah, that's right, because Karna already owns a successful swimwear brand called Moana Bikini, as well as a clothing brand called The Smile Club. Karina's name will probably sound familiar to listeners because she has over a million followers, and she's also been featured on our show a handful of times. Who could forget that time that she tried to sue influencer updates AU. Yeah, because Corrina brands herself as a body positivity influencer and she was accused of photo shopping her body by an American super sleuth who called her a hypocrite. She also went viral for a post that was deemed pretty out of touch because she said she accidentally bought an investment property, which really went down like a lead balloon in this current clone. Wasn't a beachfront as well, I believe so. Now, on Valentine's Day, Karina announced that her new pajama line was live, and I mean, I just think that we needed another influencer bringing out a pajama line. The world was calling out for it. Yeah, pajamas are like the new active wear to influences.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well. She made the announcement on her Instagram by sharing a photo of herself and one of her colleagues modeling the pajamas and wrote, oh my god, someone slapped me. Please, this is a dream. My skin friendly PJ line has just gone live and you're absolutely loving it with a ton of crying faces. Thank you, honestly, wow, thank you, because this is a new adventure. The stock is limited for first in best dress. Literally, Happy Valentine's Day, everyone, I need to know what is a skin friendly pajama like? Well, this has been a pretty contentious issue because Karina didn't actually explain on her website what made the pj's skin friendly. It was only until she got some criticism that she went into detail in the comments section, saying that her pjs are designed with a unique fabric blend that won't absorb your skin's oils or prescription moisturizers. So she said, if you're an itchy girlly like me, you know the struggle of clothing stripping your skin of any cream, leaving you dry and uncomfortable. You would have thought that if that is a big selling point of the product, that it should have been explained when the product was launched and also on the website, because I have never ever heard of that before. No, neither have I now. It was awkward because this announcement post was acting as though everyone was loving the pajamas and everyone couldn't get enough of them, But it seemed like she hadn't read the room because following the post, hundreds of her followers took to the comments section to question the eye watering price tag. So one follower wrote, they look tacky. I wouldn't even buy these if they were at kmart, whilst another said, girl, I was so excited until I saw a pair of pants was eighty dollars and now I'm heartbroken. Another said more expensive than Peter Alexander full price and can easily get theirs on sale. You mentioned that she has a bikini line. It almost feels like she used the bikini strategy of selling the tops and bottoms separately, Like, I know that's something that has been happening in the pajama space for a while. Well it's clever, it's well, it's not clever if you're outpricing yourself. So I would never pay one hundred dollars for a pair of pajama bottoms. Maybe if they were the skims one. Now, these pajama sets do come with a pretty hefty price tag, so they range from one hundred and fifty eight dollars to two hundred and eighteen, so very similar to the skimmed pajamas. Yeah, and I was really as sounded to see, in particular how expensive the summer pajamas were, so she has released a selection of camis where the top basically has these flaps that open to it labs split in the middle to reveal your stomach. Now, there wasn't much material being used on these, and they will individually set you back seventy nine dollars, while a pair of matching shorts is a further seventy nine dollars. Now, this material looked rather thin, and it looked like something that you could get on a fast fashion website. Obviously we have heard that there's some special fabric which makes its skin friendly. Now, when it came to the winter pajamas, a pair of long pants is one hundred and nine dollars, well, the matching shirt is one hundred nine. I understand what she's trying to do here, and she's trying to put her pajama line on a pedestal and say these are a luxury brand. But she's marketed at all wrong. If she has missed the whole point that these are a special material that has kind to your skin, I think people would have been okay with the price tag if that had been properly promoted. As you've touched on skims, which is Kim Kardashian's pajama line. They have a very similar price tag, but they have really touted themselves as being a luxury sleep brand, a hot item. Yeah, and you know, they've selled great shapewear and underwear, like they've gained a big name for themselves before they went into sleepwear. And I feel like you expect that price tag from a brand like Skims, but not from a small influencer brand like Mowana Smile Club, particularly because these pajamas don't really look luxury. They look more on I mean, I hate to say I agree with that person's comment. They do look a bit tacky. Well I do remember so for Dovera and Lily Brown, their influencers that have pajama lines, and they've also been slammed over the cost. And when you are a smaller business, you actually have to put a bit of a mark on the products. Also because you're not buying them in bolk, so you don't get the discounts that larger brands get. So it is always going to be a little bit more expensive buying from a small brand.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: Karina was quick to respond to the criticism, describing the pricing as middle of the range, which wasn't very popular, so under a comment critiquing the prices, she wrote, you get what you pay for with the poking out tongue, she continued, a lot of development has gone into these pieces. They also aren't overpriced compared to other leading brands now. In response to a customer asking how many washes and whars they're likely to get out of the pajamas, Karina wrote, I've never put out a bad product. I design everything myself and back it with my life. I've been wearing and washing these for two years. It's tried and tested, to say the least. I had to get the perfect custom fabric blend to cater for my ex met and prescription creams. A lot of attention and detail has gone into this new product, and as for the price, it's middle range pricing when compared to other brands worldwide. This just seems to be a common thing now happening to influencers. There are so many out there that a lot of us either don't know who they are or may know them by face, but we don't know their backstory. So potentially a lot of Arena's followers may know about her issues with her skin and she might have breadcrumbed along the way that she was designing this new pajama range to help people with skin conditions like her, but she's lost them in the marketing. Yeah, because I think it needed to be reiterated in the announcement post and maybe followed up with some Instagram stories. Yeah, but by saying skin friendly, no one knows what that means. I mean, if you haven't had an issue with your skin, yeah, you don't know that you need skin friendly pajamas. Yeah. And a follower was quick to point out that on Mawana Smiles website, where the pajamas were listed, it didn't outline what fabrics they were made from and where they were manufactured. Karina has since updated all items to state that they are made from ninety three percent lio seal, which is a hypoallergenic fabric. Again, something that you would have thought you'd lead with. Yeah, definitely. Now would you pay over two hundred dollars for some pajamas? I want to know? Look, I personally wouldn't. I have received some nice pajamas recently for Christmas presents and birthday present. Ree's got me some Peter Alexander sets that I probably wouldn't have bought myself that I've really liked. So I think they're a good present for people, but I don't know if i'd personally fork out for them just for an every day where. It's so ironic that this topic has popped up because I have been fully into searching pajamas because I really want to get a nice set of winter pajamas for when I give birth. And my sister in law recently gave birth to our new nephew a couple of days ago, which is super exciting, and it got me thinking like, oh, I want to make sure that I get some black pajamas so that they don't get dirty or anything on them. And I actually would pay two hundred dollars for a nice quality pair that's going to last me, that's comfortable and soft. You're probably like me. So when I was organizing my hospital bag, I came across Chantel Stanton, the model in influence of her. She had a baby, I think a year ago now, I think he just celebrated his first birthday. And I looked at everything that she'd put in a hospital bag, and she was wearing the black skin vas over two hundred dollars and I was like, do I buy them? Do I not? My advice would be to not buy expensive vajamas for the hospital. I bought myself to nineties because night is better because it's got buttons and that you can just undo if you're breastfeeding. So does the pajama top, yes, Sophie, but you don't want to be wearing pajama pants when you've either given birth vaginally or had a C section, because there's a lot going on down there and nurses have to come in and change pads and do this and that. I mean, I don't even think I was wearing undis most of the time the first night, so well as I thought that I might want a nice pair to wear when people come over to visit me at my house and that sort of thing. Yeah, I mean you can wear them after, but again you're going to be getting vomit on them. I would actually invest in a really nice dressing gown instead. I definitely don't think that I'll be on the pr less for Karina Irby after this topic, but I just really find it interesting to see how she is trying to position this brand. We've seen the likes of Matilda Jurf selling very expensive sleep wear and dress gowns. Obviously there is a market there well, that fruit dressing gown that might be on discoun I always yeah, exactly on super sale now. But I think where she went wrong potentially is that the designs didn't really reflect a feeling of prestige or quality. For me, designs were a little bit colorful and looked very fast fashioning. And also her audience probably don't have that expendable budget.
Speaker 7: Made a new friend called Patrick.
Speaker 1: Matt Sakowski has given it insight into how he and Tammy Hembro navigate arguments, and I actually think this is genius. So Matt revealed on his podcast that he and Tammy have made up a mystical person called Patrick that lives with them, who they blame everything on in an attempt to diffuse arguments. Let's have listened to what Matt said.
Speaker 7: Made a new friend called Patrick.
Speaker 6: Okay, look elaborate, you know, I do want to know more.
Speaker 1: I'm just confused. So I haven't heard of Patrick.
Speaker 5: Patrick is a made up mystical person, So yeah, roommate if you must. And he lives with Tammy and I and we blame everything on him that has so for instance, a we'll say, ah, babe, Patrick keeps leaving his bikinis in the bathroom, and she'll be like, oh, okay, or she'll be like, Matt, Patrick doesn't make the bed in the mor you know what I mean. And then we blame Patrick for all this sort of stuff to make it less.
Speaker 1: Guys against the problem. That is literally the couple against the problem.
Speaker 7: It is, isn't it? And Patrick fucking problem, isn't he? God? Damn it? Patrick?
Speaker 1: God? This Patrick sounds like a bit of a lazy slob. I feel like there's a Patrick living at my house at the moment as well. I might have to implement this. Does Patrick take all the towels and leave them on the floor or is that you? I think there's two Patrick's that. I think it's great though, because I know Kate with you, you've got your two dogs, and you kind of diffuse arguments with the dogs that you will have a dog voice, And yeah, each dog has their own personality, and it's not so much like with tours around the house. It's more of you want to say something a bit edgy and it sounds cuter in the dog's voice. Well, dad, stop being a prick. I think as we approach motherhood amy, we should take a leaf out of Tammy and Matt's book and introduce this Patrick character because I think when tensions are high, it adds a bit of comedic value. Doesn't it end up? Like with the dog voices, you end up having a voice for your baby as well, and they help you diffuse the situation too. I think the three of us need a Patrick in our friendship and working relationship to blame it on. Like, Oh, Patrick didn't finish his run sheet for the podcast. Patrick put an error in the podcast as idiot Patrick talking about fake tanning children. I love that the name is Patrick as well, Like, it's just such a ramated one. Let's make one up for the podcast. But I think it needs to be a girl. What's it? Maybe we'll throw it out to our podcast listeners. Can you help us come up with a Patrick with a girl's name who we can blame all of our podcast issues on and all of our fights on. Before we Go, I was really hoping to put together a segment on m Davies's wedding all we can. I've been hanging out to see photos. She's been dropping a lot of crumbs. Yeah, she's been She put up tiktoks, like on the morning of her wedding. Yeah, and it's clear that someone has actually uploaded a photo of her in her dress, because she did put a little reminder out of people not to put up photos before she has. Yeah, that was interesting. But yeah, so she hasn't put out her photos just yet, So we are going to hold off to talk about that on Friday. What's the bet because we're recording this on Monday afternoon. She's going to put them out tonight. Yeah, it looks silly. Yeah, well, I feel like she might have a deal with Vogue or another publication similar to what Tammy Hambro had, so we might be waiting a little while to see them. But I am so excited to see her dress. I think it's going to be something quite different and out there. She's obviously a fashion designer, she had her fashion brand. We think there's going to be a visible g string in any of She's already done it. She's done it, so she doesn't need to do it again. I just have the dedication that she ACKed up three tiktoks on the day of a wedding. I have a soft spot for m Davies. I really like her content ever since she's become a mum. I think she's a lot more relatable and I've just seen a really lovely side of her developed through motherhood. Well, Tammy Hembro enlisted the help. I think it was that well known girl on TikTok that does all of the social media content for weddings. She is going to wedding and content creator. That's the name I'm looking for, So I'm guessing the m Davies probably has the same woman. Yeah yeah, but a lot of the videos she put up with her speaking to camera, so I got the vibe that maybe she put them up herself. Well, she's hardly going to put up all the professional ones when she hasn't shared a dress or We wait with baited breath. That is all we have time for today. Thank you so much for joining us for this episode. If you have enjoyed it, could you please make sure you are subscribed on Apple podcast and also Spotify and leave us a five star review. There was some beautiful reviews over the weekend, Thank you so much for those. This episode was recorded on the traditional land of the Ghana people of the Adelaide planes. We pay respect to elders past and present,