Speaker 1: It is the pick Up Tuesday Afternoon with Britt, Laura and Mitch rushing to chemist Warehouse today for half price off the Biogland Vitamins range. It excludes both sizes. Chemist Warehouse got great savings for you every single day.
Speaker 2: You guys might have heard about the controversy that was surrounding Umi Stein's new book that she released. Now. She used to be a host on The Pickup and she created this book called Welcome to Sex. It's an education piece. It's meant to be like a very no fuss and kind of all explaining guide, not even guide, but just a sex help book for teenagers and early teens. It has copped some pretty horrific reviews in terms of some people have thought that it kind of is too explanatory and maybe shares too much and exposes to children too early to things that they're just not ready to learn about.
Speaker 1: What's it showing. It's showing different sex acts, how you can perform sex.
Speaker 2: It's a lot. It's the whole spectrum of what sex could entail of self explorer. And this is for children who I guess when we were growing up there wasn't really any guide you learned, so much about sexual education, yeah, but also in the playground, like friends from people saying things and you'd be like, oh, that's gross. It's meant to be an educational guide for children who have a lot of questions around what is sex. But the thing I wanted to talk to you guys about is what happened over the weekend. So Yumi shared a series of posts, and these were private dms that she has been receiving, everything from racial slurs to death threats, to people telling her that she should go kill herself.
Speaker 3: I was shook to the call when I was maybe sick.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely revolting. You can't even read them out at this time. Slow on Radio get canceled a.
Speaker 3: Lot of things that had nothing to do with the book itself, a lot of racial slurs, and I.
Speaker 2: Would say that the majority of these messages that were coming through. If anyone wants to check it out, you can jump onto Yumi's Instagram page because she's created a really amazing post around accountability. How you can't just anonymously troll people and get away with it these days. So many of these threats were coming from people's actual accounts, from their business accounts. Now Umi posted screenshots, and off the back of that, a twenty three year old was actually arrested for chargers using a carriage service to menace, harass, efend. It's crazy to me, and I think this is a real lesson in terms of accountability, that you can't do things on a digital platform and get away with it anymore. But there's real world accountability for it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: It'll be taken to the courts and there will be some sort of you know, accountability, criminal justice that'll be given to him. But the thing that I think is so crazy about this, this is a twenty three year old guy. He doesn't even have kids. He's not worried about the safety or protecting the children. He's just jumped on the bandwagon after seeing a few awful things. And I think so much of this conversation was actually really racially driven, which is what's really awful. At the end of the day, I.
Speaker 3: Was clicking on a lot of their profiles to see who they are.
Speaker 1: I was gobsmacked.
Speaker 3: If you went on their profile and just looked, you'd be like, oh, these looked like just nice, normal people, and then when you read what they wrote, I was like, if I found out my partner had ever written that I would be so quick out that door.
Speaker 2: But it's because they think that it's they think it's private, they think they're sending that to her and that no one's ever going to see it. I shared it on my Instagram and the number of people I had message to me and say, oh my god, I know that guy. Oh my god, I went to school with that. And I was like, this is what it is, and I loved the part like you me sort of signed off her Instagram post with welcome to accountability, shit bags. And I just think so many people do things and think that they can be anonymous online, and this just goes to show that there are real life consequences for the things that you do on Instagram, for the things that you write, and for the things that you say about people.
Speaker 1: I get messages all the time telling me to do some awful things. They hear me on the radio and they go, thought you were a chicks or photos of you you got man tits because I'm overweighth and I get that all the time. We're a public we're in the public eye. Like you get it, britt you get it, Laura, And it's because it's hard and it's such a nuanced discussion.
Speaker 2: Do you ever feel though, compelled to out those people who say those things because they do from their own accounts, it's their own words, And so do you ever feel like one day you're just going to be like, do you know what here? You deal with the consequences of the things you say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm also scared. I mean, these people are aggressive. The messages that I have in my DMS are scary. Some of the stuff that I've been threatened with it's terrifying.
Speaker 3: And purely it's because you're gay, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Exactly, purely because I'm gay and I've got great hair, and I think sometimes definitely the hair if I were to pose something like this, I don't want to put myself at arm. I've got my family on my social media. It's just it's a tricky situation to be in. It really is. You'd be the same brit You get messages, yeah, And.
Speaker 3: It's funny because the response that she is getting does not fit the crime and does not fit writing a book on sex education. I'm not a marginalized group, and I get some horrific things written to me as well. I've never thought of calling them out because I don't feel like I can deal with the repercussions of calling them out, because it's not that you call it out and it's over. It usually keeps going. There's backlash, there's people on the fence of if you should have done it, but not as a non marginalized person, I get horrific things. I've had some really dark thoughts off the back of what some people have said to me.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess it just goes to show as well that so many people do receive such horrible messages and very rarely is it posted, and very rarely is there this level of accountability.
Speaker 1: If you're going through anything like this, So you want to chat to someone, Lifeline is always there thirteen eleven fourteen. So stop being a twat, good.
Speaker 3: Message, thank you, welcome to accountability. Stop being a twat.
Speaker 1: Thank you, britt all right. Next on the show Married at First Sight is changing the world massive breakthrough at Maps for the next season.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Map's famously known for its societal change.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, but there are big changes coming.
Speaker 1: And then there's maths to very different ends of the spectrum. And that's next. On the pickup