Speaker 1: The Flex and Rooms Daily Podcast, brought to you by China.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 3: My very much wish is that if you're listening to this, it's because somebody who has a crush on you sent it to you. They got the link from whatever streaming service they're on, did a little copy and paste and put in your Instagram DM signing the chain man. Hey, I just want to show you these really two these two really cool girls. I think they talk about really interesting stuff that you'd like. They talk about pop culture, news, love, relationships, gossip, and a little bit of poo chat. Depending on who you are, you'll like that. I'll love it, and I think you should listen to them because what we're going to be talking about today is DMS DM slide etiquette, and especially what DM slide etiquette looks like when you own your late twenties, which is what we are.
Speaker 1: We like to be allegedly, Yeah, agly twenty four. Realistically I think I would. I could give twenty three all in favors, say I why damn? Yeah? You just okay? What about twenty five?
Speaker 3: No, you're hard thirty in my eyes, no way, twenty nine.
Speaker 1: I think I'm social. You're giving twenty four in real life anyone.
Speaker 3: She will's laughing. Will She's just laughing like it's true. Anyway.
Speaker 1: I'm usual.
Speaker 3: I said this before, but people on the internet that don't know me, like on YouTube, will go, why does this chick look twenty and sixty at the same time?
Speaker 1: It's only because you're a white babe?
Speaker 3: Is it because no one else gets my treatment? What is it about my face?
Speaker 1: Not in this hair?
Speaker 3: No, yeah, it's the short hair. It's a Karen esque Karen adjacent hairstyle.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sorry they said that to you, babe.
Speaker 3: That's fine. Let's get to it. Flex and frooms. So I have a message from somebody. It is about their fiance. Their fiance does something that they're not very pleased with, and I want to know if you think what they're doing is wrong. Okay, my fiance poops in the shower and stumps it down the drain. Not a joke. She recently told me this, and I've been living with it for a few weeks now. Oh, she even broke the news to me.
Speaker 1: Wait wait wait wait wait no, no, no, So this is the man fiance is saying his woman fiance is the pooh stumper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why is that worse. I think that's sexist.
Speaker 1: It is okay for good reason.
Speaker 3: She even broke the news to me while laughing about it. She goes, you know what a waffle stump is? She asked me, as she laughed and laughed. She laughed so hard she started crying rumies. I felt disgusted and betrayed. I can't even look at her over breakfast anymore before I head to work, And while at work, all I can do is man as to myself. Is she doing it right now? Apparently this has been going on for years, she said. She uses all the scented candles she obsessively buys online to mask the smell. I worked twelve to fifteen hour days, so plenty of time for her to cover her pooh stink. A few times we've had to snake the drain due to a clog. Now I know why I'm not try I can live this life anymore.
Speaker 1: Exactly, I understand. I don't know why this isn't so scary to you like I as I ate, I'm finding out too much stuff about the world, and it doesn't make it makes me fearful what fle stompers could be in and amongst us, everyone the way you're laughing. This is not foreign to you. The fact that you can even conceptualize what that looks like. I have to try. You'm just gonna have that sensation anyway. I just think this is the most terrifying thing I've ever heard of, and I've read some real cooked stuff in my lifetime. The thing that gets me is, like, let's say, you know, happens once or twice, you couldn't help yourself. I understand, Oh, that was a hand up from Ruby. That was a that was I can confirm it, so I understand that. But now it's something that she does regularly, so much so that she has a whole system in place, like she's bought She's got now a candle addiction to compensate for the wasting smell of pushing feces down the drain, like and I can imagine there must be so much excess poop attached to the sides of the drain because the flow from the shower is trickling.
Speaker 3: It's trickling.
Speaker 1: It's not the powerful flush of a toilet, so it's lingering. I'm not happy about it.
Speaker 3: Well, my defense for her, coming straight from through me sycrepiance is like the shower. You then put sense down the shower like you're doing your shampoo. You're doing a conditioner, you're a shaving lotion.
Speaker 1: It's not debto, it's not antibacterial.
Speaker 3: Well, I have done this before, not out of desire to want to do it, but from sickness. I'm in the shower, I'm vomiting. The pooh comes it started, I have to push it down. There's no way, how like, what am I supposed to do? Get out of the shower. I'm dripping wet, it's coming. Sit on the toilet, dripping wet.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Nah, you're in the shower, not in my recent house, the one before.
Speaker 1: To be fair, it's like, remember when you were tell me you vomited cocktail Frank quotes into the sink, and I was like, but why, because now you're trying to press them down to the drain. Was I not a toilet for you?
Speaker 3: I can't do that toilets freak me out, is all I want to say. I don't like the idea that I'm doing it where other people have done it, so therefore I do it elsewhere. Okay, I will no longer incriminate myself because I have a history, a storied history of doing things outside of bathrooms.
Speaker 1: This is just I cannot. I really feel for him, because as for me, I would I would really struggle with that. Like I'm even stuttering.
Speaker 3: It's just gross.
Speaker 1: And I again again, I empathize with people who've been in situations where it's necessary, and I think if I had to justify it, because you know, a great debate considers both angles, I guess showering straight after is very is a good thing for me. I don't like the fact that when you like, toilet paper should be moist so it can really get into the crevices. Why are we trying to clean with just some dry like imagine if you spilt something on your countertop and just wiped it up and then left the rend like. It just doesn't make me sense. However, I don't like this.
Speaker 3: Remember never flush wet wipes down the drain.
Speaker 1: No, I don't flush webs weteps. What I do, let me know.
Speaker 3: This is flex and frooms.
Speaker 1: It is not often that I come with a dilemma, not one that's rooted in reality. Anyway, I like to think about abstract concepts. I don't like to think about like real life from that way, and if I do, it's a quick thought and an action, so I don't have to think about it again. Okay, but recently I found myself in a little bit of a pickle. So what had happened was I had found myself in and around an attractive guy, one that interested me so much I said, I have to do something about this. After slide through anyway, So the initial meeting casual, casual humor no at a place that cannot be named to not identify a restaurant babes. Yeah, enough that this person is like visually interested me enough that I'm like, I like the outfit, I like the vibe. I want to do something with this, but I don't know what right, So I decided I'm going to do a DM slide. And we have spoken about before that, like five years ago. The DM slide tactic was sending a flower emoji. Yes, why because it's it's neutral, good, it's positive and friendly, and that it sparks the conversation for someone who's mutually interested, and if they're not, they'll be polite, or they'll ignore you, or they're like, what are you talking about? You know what? People who get it get it right, but I'm not twenty four anymore.
Speaker 3: She's old.
Speaker 1: I'm older. She's a lady. To be right, I can't allocate so much time for the like the banter and the directionless conversation. I just need to know that's my cron troll ISS's coming through. I'm like, is it a vibe? Is it not a vibe? You know whatever? But then I was like, wait a second, I'm having a secondary issue. My secondary issue is that I no longer want to be a what do you call them? An aggressor. I don't want to be the person who's like I am, I'm pursuing someone. I picked them, I chose them. I've done that. That's like we did that. I want to be a damsel, yes, you know what I mean, Like I want to just like kind of like loosely set things up and be like you know, just like heart and cute and like at the helm of somebody else's effort and also somebody else's steaks, Like the steaks need to be higher for them than me. Too many things to consider. So I did a round table at a restaurant that I was at, not with strangers, basically half a strangers, but from me and I were at this like dinner but through mere the left, so you'd a round tablested what would you all do? And the advice ranged from oh, just like reply to an Instagram story, which is just like what if they don't post Instagram stories that often, you know what I mean? Like that's taking too much time, And then somebody else was like, oh, just ask them out, Like Nope, we're in the wrong era for that, babe, We're in the wrong era. I'm just trying to set something up, you know, set something up. So after about an hour of consultation, we didn't really get anywhere. So I'm bringing this to you for me. I want to know what you think adult women date men I e. Mixed Flexiana should and would do because I already did it, but I want I don't know how you think I should have approached it.
Speaker 3: Has it worked?
Speaker 1: Well? Well, well wait a second, let me give a plot twist. I got bored and I saw too much not too much, I think, how do I explain it? I got distracted a splendor. I was like, this is not what I want. Then I just got like it was just no longer fun anymore.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, just give me the context, like you follow each other.
Speaker 1: We were strangers. I just assessed him in a room and said I liked that one. Okay, can I just was it like a cafe. I will tell you the full story afterwards. You don't, you do not need that. It doesn't matter. You know, you're just forgotten anyway. So I had assessed this person in a room.
Speaker 3: I just want to know. It's not like a work setting or something inappropriate babes.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I sussed. I said I want that one please, and then I realized, like, we're just not in environment, so you can just have that one, like you need to like graft? Yes, yeah, I was like, okay, well how do I graft if my only access to this person is now their Instagram? Like, we don't for what I know, running the same secle. I'n't have seen you before. I'm not just gonna run into you. We don't have mutual friends. I just need to lock it in ands up. So all I had to me was a DM slide after a follow, naturally.
Speaker 3: A mutual follow, mutual follow, mutual follow, Okay, as soon as the mutual follow occurs.
Speaker 1: Yes, one might say that, but here's what I think. The mutual follow is like a stalemate. Yeah, because one person follows, you take the risk. Everyone just has to follow back, just respond to the initial risk taken. There's nothing much there to stalemate. Then one person can do them, you know, the three liking the three photos. It's so boring. No, no, no, I want to go straight to the DM. I want to go in. But my issue is because I'm doing damnsel. I don't want to be the aggressor. I don't want to ask you out. Maybe it's not twenty eighteen I did that. I want to do some fresh see.
Speaker 3: But I think you've gotten yourself into a trap because exactly people expect you to do that exactly.
Speaker 1: So then as I was thinking about what I would say, then I was like, doesn't matter, I'm over it. But then they posted a story. I said, this is perfect, this is exactly what I need. Look through the story and I'm like, okay, get what's happening here. You are like a capital C creative archetype, Like you are not going to post a picture of yourself ever, It's going to be like creative inspiration. So I'm like, there's not much to say here, Like you've posted a picture of a gradient background a spoon, like like the sky with a branch. I can't work with.
Speaker 3: This lines like buildings with lots of.
Speaker 1: Lines really like Jesus helped me anyway. So then they end up posting like this cute illustration of like cats or something like finally we can do something with this, and I said something like, oh my god, that's so cute, like adorable. I'm obsessed. Yeah, I can do that anyway. Benny starts talking about screen printing and he's like and I'm like, he wants your advice, but no, no, no, like it was like creative validation almost. He was like, oh you really think so, Like I took a photo of it because like I've got inspiration for this and like something something like it'd be great screen printed. And I'm like, oh, this is so like it had already gone down a really specific path. And I'm just like not that I don't care, but you're a capital C creative. I'm like a lowercase C creative. Whatever conversation we have is gonna escalate, and I just don't care that much. Anyway. Then we were having this like back and forth, small top conversation, and then I went to splendor with no reception. I came back and then I looked at this story again and I'm like, it's just it's fine.
Speaker 3: You've cooled off. It's a cooling because.
Speaker 1: I liked the in person vibe when I didn't have any context, and that's not real, like when I was able to project onto them, like what the vibe was. Now I have the vibe. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: People take, but my point remains.
Speaker 1: When I'd asked other people around, like none of them had a good approach to the DM slide, and I'm like, we're gonna be living in an ever increasingly virtual society where we should have these tactics on lock.
Speaker 3: I think Instagram did a lot when it brought in the reacts that are beyond the fire react yes or beyond just the like yes, i think you've got to be shameless.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like I'm so bored of that.
Speaker 3: This is the things like, so you need to get over any ego that you might have, be shameless in the beginning, and then hoodwink and make them do the rest of the work you have to because you have the bold I don't have to have to, like in order for things to change.
Speaker 1: One must do things differently.
Speaker 3: But then what if no one comes, then so be it. It's quite a nice attitude.
Speaker 1: You know, because here's my thing when like the archetype of who I date, right if I'm like, we all know me, we all know the characteristics. I feel like I date people who are used to like going with the flow and like being agreeable and you know, being almost like being a support role to the main event. Right. But I'm like, that's not a partnership, that's a we're on the flex train. I'm like, I'm trying to do a team thing, trying to be a duo.
Speaker 3: Do you want a boy boss?
Speaker 1: I don't want a boy boss. I don't want to say I'm going in this direction. You're like, okay, I'm gonna switch around my plans to do what you And I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, what do you do? What are your goals? What are your interests?
Speaker 1: Like, let's do what you want to do.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're gonna find your people.
Speaker 1: It starts from like the very beginning, Like I think in those early stages you build habits that turn out to be foundations of your dynamic. So if in the initial stages, then like what are you doing where are we going. I'm gonna then like we're building patterns and traditions. Okay, I'll find a middle ground somewhere.
Speaker 3: I'm excited for this journey. I feel like you're really putting yourself out there.
Speaker 1: You said, like I've not been putting myself out there, babe. I did.
Speaker 3: I just I get like we have conversations, and this is coming up more in conversation. So I'm excited for you. You're inspiring me. You inspired me to get a dating app again, which will go through one day. It expires in probably two days, and then I'm not going to get it again. Pay But I put myself out there a little bit.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna figure it out.
Speaker 2: I look.
Speaker 1: So, I'm sure there's like a whole subgroup of like assertive girl bosses who like babes. I want to be a dumbda and I want to I want the option. Why can't I have options? Please?
Speaker 3: You're listening to flex and Frooms on Kta FLEXI again. I was on TikTok. That's going to be the story of my life there.
Speaker 1: I want to kick back every time we say that. Why Because I feel like I do so much TikTok converting. Like on Instagram as well. I'm constantly spooking TikTok people like, oh my god, I down wanted it because of you, and it's nice to hear that I have natural influence. But I'm also like mmm.
Speaker 3: Mmmm, I think they're going to come back at you when they find out that all their data has been mined allegedly.
Speaker 1: Oo.
Speaker 3: I came across you at TikTok and I thought it would interest you. I'm gonna open it for you.
Speaker 1: Why have I never seen an AI.
Speaker 2: That's a man, It's a voice activated digital assistant. These are crazy times for AI Personal assistance Siri, Krotana, Alexa V. Is there any reason you guys give them all female names, Like, I'm surprised there isn't one just called mommy, Mommy, where's the closest latte facts?
Speaker 3: And he hadn't thought of that.
Speaker 1: No, I guess because I know AI can be gendered. But when I'm speaking about AI, I'm speaking about like the concept, not like Siri. But now I think about it, this person is right like when you have a because people say the floor with AIS that it's built by people, namely men, and so all the biases that men have in society or people, whatever will be transferred onto whatever they build, because how can you separate yourself from who you are and what you believe and that will naturally go into what you create right with not anything, So in this instance it's like wha yeah, hold on a second.
Speaker 3: I'm not surprised though.
Speaker 1: Ex.
Speaker 3: Machina someone it's called Mackina, but Makina she was a chick. Yeah, she was a chick. I think it makes sense because it's you know, no, you know what. This really really interests me because the other day I saw you know, Jane from Glee, the really like the mean trainer woman with the she as a person on her on her Twitter wrote, can like female podcasters like lower their tone because listening to high voices is really annoying. But then on the other hand, all of the assistants are women, So I'm like there is some sort of divide. People often say.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk about this. Jane thinks the more that you put that down, please, can women lower their tones? That's what we should put down.
Speaker 3: On the one hand, women's voices are considered annoying, and I remember growing up, Dad used to always say that men say it women say it, I find as well. They're like, women are just more annoying to listen to.
Speaker 1: Remember I told you about that women who got surgery to deepen her voice because she was like, no one takes me seriously?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, When did we start finding them annoying? And then on the other hand, why is it that we want subservient women? Like why do we want women voices? Traditionally women voices as our ai. I believe it's because we want to hear women's voices when they suit us, when they're doing something for us. But we don't want to hear women's voices when they are simply enjoying having enjoyment, such as us. So if you're listening to this, eat it.
Speaker 1: I would love to have someone who's built an ai answer that question. Yeah, because part of me thinks it's an oversight. You know how people talk about you know, often when people talk about the way that men have impacted women, it's not that they were intentionally trying to create a society that doesn't work in your favor. Just don't think about you. Sorry that the handles are too high in trains. Didn't think you were that short, you know. Sorry the kitchen countertops are too high. Didn't realize you were little? Yes, things like that where it's like you're not there, not considering what this looks like. To have all the assistants be women.
Speaker 3: Totally, I think though with that one, you would have had to do a lot of research, like, because these are products that are marketed, so someone's had to think, oh, what does the general consensus want to listen to? Is it a woman's voice?
Speaker 1: Because I thought like studies have shown that the neutral voice is a man. And when people think about what is a voice, generally they think about a man's voice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I wonder if it changes when it's something that serves you. Ooh, a genuine think.
Speaker 1: So your as like, sorry, babe, I had a man. Look at what the weather is.
Speaker 3: Flick and firms.
Speaker 1: I hate to come bearing bad news. I really don't love it, and yet you do, but I do every time. I think it's my duty. Not everything can be positive. Sometimes we need to learn from other's mistakes, and in this instance, during lockdown. Sometime I know, depending on what country you're in, lockdown's a different point. But somewhere between twenty twenty and twenty twenty two on TikTok in particular due to the success of Bridgeton on Netflix. These two songwriters and composers on TikTok decided that they thought that Bridgetin would be amazing as a musical, Like it just lent itself to that kind of you know, that kind of theater. They're like, Oh, these songs, like these people, these themes would be a perfect musical. So these two creators, Barlow and Bear, those are their surnames, because like, I'm a professional, did like this twelve part online music. So they wrote songs for like all these key themes and scenarios in the show, and people really resonated with it because at the time, not so I people were have remembered, but because of COVID and Lockdown, so many production houses weren't actually releasing any new TV because they couldn't do their regular release schedules. People can go to the cinemas, and so Bridgington was one of the first and only things that was released fresh on Netflix during lockdown, So a lot of people watched it and so by the time I got to tick Up, we were like, oh, this is amazing, we love this, it's so cool. It whatever, And then all of a sudden, Bilo and Bear, the composers of bridget and the musical on TikTok, won a Grammy the Best Musical Album. It skyrocketed them. It was so much more than two young women doing some cool social media content, and it was regarded as this really crucial piece of music. And so very recently Bilo and Bear decided that they wanted people to experience Bridgitton the musical life because dancers would make you know, would compose with like poreograph dance moves and like people were like constructing set designs via TikTok, and everybody was feeding into the narrative. It wasn't just the songs, it was everything that had to do with the musical. So they were like, let's bring this to the stage, Let's bring it to life. So they did. They sold tickets and they brought this live musical, took everything that happened on TikTok and put it in the flesh, and it sold out. And it was like, whoa, this is how creators activate. This is how you take this like content that has quote unquote no value on this children's app and you make it like a commercial success. Everybody was cheering, Yes, this is a win. Then the creators of Bridgeton the Musical and TikTok get sued by Netflix. Sued by Netflix, And you might ask, why wait two years into this to sue them? Well, Netflix argues that when TikTok the Musical was happening on TikTok, it wasn't for commercial gain. They were using the likeness and almost creating a parody, you know, in an organic way. They weren't infringing on copyright or anything. It was fair game the moment they started profiting off it. No no, no, no, no no. How does it make you feel?
Speaker 2: Bab oh?
Speaker 1: I get it?
Speaker 3: I get it in both ways. That's such a shame. You know. I think Netflix is kind of taking the piss because them doing that on TikTok would have brought so much more traffic to Bridgeton I think, like a substantial amount.
Speaker 1: So they should just convince you to watch it, though.
Speaker 3: I didn't say either, to be honest, I'm in a little black hole of like any what I'm watching on TikTok. But that's a pity. I hope that they don't have to pay much money to Netflix.
Speaker 1: One would say that, but then also they sold merch. Oh, so then it's like damn, like it gets worth tickets merch. They recorded the music, it's on streaming websites. And also basically they're saying it like the Bridgeton the musical, the TikTok Musical reflects all the creative and hard work of the Netflix employees who created that show. So like, yes, you made the songs, but there's no song without the people who did it before you. So where is their cut? Where is their profit? And also Netflix does own the exclusive right to exploit Bridgeton in any ways. If they want to make a song or a movie, they can. They have the right and the soul right to do that. So it feels like this is like way worse than you could ever imagine, Like, oh, it's not good. It's not good breath, it's not looking good. Pie. It's a pie, isn't it? It's not easy. You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast. For more, Tune Indica on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.