Speaker 1: Unapologetically Black would like to acknowledge the traditional owners of the lands where this podcast is being hurt or watched across this great island continent now known as Australia and across the world. We would also like to pay our respects to elders past and present and acknowledged that this always was and always will be Aberaginal Lands.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Unapologetically Black with Ginny, Mara and Will.
Speaker 3: Welcome everybody to another episode of Unapologetically Black. I'm one of your hosts, Ginny, and I'm joined by Will and Morra.
Speaker 4: The other two hosts.
Speaker 3: The other two can we give ourselves like post alternatives?
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm the.
Speaker 3: Pretty You know what we should have is like Real Housewives tag?
Speaker 4: Oh my god?
Speaker 2: Can we like Housewives of Budroom?
Speaker 5: I did I do watch the Real Housewives?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: You do?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 6: Yes? So watch something to talk about?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 6: Who are you?
Speaker 4: So? Wait? Can I ask what would be your wait?
Speaker 5: There's Atlanta is Georgia, There's New York.
Speaker 2: Oh she knows all the franchise.
Speaker 6: I live in Atlanta and watch it. I watch it. I'm a big.
Speaker 3: Old school Even though I identify as a black person, I think I would be Kim.
Speaker 6: With drinking wine out of the red I don't know.
Speaker 5: Who that is.
Speaker 2: So she was the only token white girl who dated a rich black man who bought her all this stuff, so she'd always get dragged by the rest of the big papa that was get dragged by.
Speaker 4: So wait, wait, wait, wait, So what would be your tagline? Then?
Speaker 2: Go then quickpot like that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well figure that, think about it.
Speaker 5: I'll figure that out.
Speaker 6: At the end of this episode. We'll have our tagline.
Speaker 2: I say mine, So whilst they come to cool and I have a sweaty crack, I'm always cool, came and look in the camera, right, so whilst I shoot the podcast in cool them and it's wait where we get We're a noo sir, no budger again bedrooms regards. Wait wait great, let me rephrase my my My tagline would be, even though it's hot in the Sunshine Coast and I'm sweaty, I'm always cool.
Speaker 6: Oh I might be. You know they say, the bigger the hoop, the bigger the hole.
Speaker 3: I'm wearing studs today, I'm close.
Speaker 2: Together.
Speaker 1: I am the black magic Woman, So I'm going to bring the magic to this set.
Speaker 6: Just I'm sorry, anyone listening to this, that's just told you who we were.
Speaker 2: And you're a big hole, and you're a small hole, a small hole, sweaty hole, small hole and classic hole. Apparently I'm not, she said, And here I am.
Speaker 6: And now.
Speaker 5: I've got the tricks to sacks. Peace is. This is We're gonna, We're gonna stay on track for you.
Speaker 4: This is a coming peace.
Speaker 2: Let's so we're back up here in on Cobby Coby Country filming back again at the lavish Bales mansion, still very hot, the.
Speaker 1: Grand residence is that I got the peace residents and I have to put an accident.
Speaker 5: The residents like we're from Paris.
Speaker 3: Chateau Lake Bales, like.
Speaker 1: It's not cool up here, even though I'm full always it's just summer.
Speaker 2: Well okay, sorry, it's hot.
Speaker 6: Anyway.
Speaker 3: We're in a bit of a mood because it is silly season. Were coming up on Christmas and New Year's. What are your guys' plans?
Speaker 6: What are you doing? Let's hear about your blackest Christmas?
Speaker 2: Oh God, blackest Christmas.
Speaker 4: Get out, ah, what is.
Speaker 5: A black Christmas?
Speaker 2: Else?
Speaker 3: When they are stop, I had to stop myself seeing that was good media train name.
Speaker 2: Right, your dad Black Christmas. I remember that we had black Santa, and my white friends come one day like why is the Santa black? And I'm like, what do you mean?
Speaker 4: I just thought Santa was black. We always have black Sanda.
Speaker 5: We have black Santa at Marowena in Redfern too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know Marowena in western Sydney.
Speaker 5: I know there's two marouenas Mount Drewett, Redfern.
Speaker 2: So we always had black Sanna. It wasn't until I had my white friends come at a very young age and I realized that Santa wasn't black.
Speaker 6: Oh, I've only had white unfortunately.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, so I would have come over to you and we like, okay, I.
Speaker 1: Was going to dress up in that ship in four degree in Queensland, exactly.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, so black fellows knew better, Yeah, but there fellows doing so Wales.
Speaker 6: So any traditions, anything that you do, traditions.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm not really sure I how to start with it to be fair, because I don't want to kind.
Speaker 6: Of drag your family.
Speaker 2: We had traditions though, so my nanam my pop blessed and they try their hardest. We would always go.
Speaker 4: To my other pops for Christmas.
Speaker 2: So the fun fact is that every Friday would get picked up by my nana my pop after school, even though I lived with my moms, my mum and dad divorced, got picked up by my grandparents. Would go to Colton because that's where they lived, so we would always be with them every single weekend and then come Holidays we would just go there and spend weeks at end. So Christmas would always be in my nad's So I always just had Christmas with me and my cousins and my family. It was just the biggest mob get together as kids. Yeah, but it wasn't like it wasn't I think I look at other people. We never had decorations. We had like a tree which sometimes beit gammin. So it wasn't like when I look at Christmas now and what my kids are getting, it's like polar opposite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I had a Christmas. The most fond Christmas memory I have was living in Mars and Logan. If anyone's from Brisbane's South Brisbane Logan the area that's where my family have been for the last you know, forty years, my grandparents specifically and my parents, but we couldn't afford a Christmas tree. And so my uncle's went and hacked a tree from the Logan reserve and just dragged that no car literally just.
Speaker 2: Like a pine tree.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was kind of like it did give you Christmas e vies.
Speaker 6: I don't think it was like a proper but in my memory, and.
Speaker 5: I saved fifty because they are actually fifty.
Speaker 2: Bucks seed like two hundred dollars now.
Speaker 3: But it was like the trunk was this big. It was and it was hard. It just kind of leant into the corner of the house. In that corner of the house.
Speaker 2: They did it properly, yes, And then my.
Speaker 6: Step my mum's boyfriend at the time.
Speaker 3: I was so happy. I woke up on Christmas and I had a brand new bike and this was like a major Christmas for us, because you know, we didn't really get lavish gifts, but I was so keen on a bike. And then a few days later I found out that my mum's boyfriend had stolen another kid's bikes, spray painted it and gave it to me. And because three days later this kid was like, that's my bike. I stretched the paint and he was like, that's my bike. And I traumatizing for me because we had to give it back.
Speaker 6: And that's not that's a real life story.
Speaker 5: That is the blackest Christmas. Oh my god. You know this is people that have been oppressed.
Speaker 1: I just remember, you know, we're talking about blackfellows that have had no intergenerational wealth passed down. We're talking about our grandmothers and grandfathers being slaves in this country. For people that are not familiar with Australian history, this is our reality.
Speaker 5: No, we don't get all this extra money off the outness because we did. Ginny wouldn't give the bike back.
Speaker 3: I know, it's funny, right because I was just going to say, I think today like you see these young fellows and my I actually went shopping with my niece and my sister yesterday. My niece Charlie, she's four, and it's the polarizing, right, that difference. Like when we grew up, it was like you, I don't even really, I didn't count presents. You were just like, oh my god, I was so excited to get this bike that was then taken away from three days later.
Speaker 6: Anyway, save it for therapists.
Speaker 3: But my niece yesterday we went to Kama and I you know, she's out of she's out of day care on a Friday, so we have to take her out. So we were, me and my sister went shopping and we were buying stuff for all the other kids for Christmas, and so she was going, well can I have that?
Speaker 6: And I was trying to.
Speaker 3: Buy presents for her while she was there, pretending that her yes, for other kids. And anyway, my sister, Paul Darlin, she was in the trolley, just have trolley full of presence. None of them are for her, but all of them are, but all of them are really for her, and she was crying and she was saying to her, Mum, it's all right, I don't need anything, don't worry about I'm like, oh, Si, yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it speaks to like the difference though, like I don't think it's bad that kids nowadays, particularly when we have the ability to be able to provide from because we've worked hard, our parents worked hard for us, so we're able to have the job.
Speaker 6: Do you think that's why you do it? Though you're like, I didn't get this, so I'm going to go a bit kind.
Speaker 2: Of speaks to like any of the reflect growing up, like black love to me and my family. Back when I was younger, was about being connected and it was the small gesses. Now as blackfellows who have done the work, our love comes in different kind of presentations now. So I think it's really powerful that we're able to say, actually, we have the ability to give our kids that things that we never got. And it's just kind of fine line of saying, actually, I don't want to kind of over I guess gift our children or create that I want kind of mentality. But I'm like, why can't we though, because I've never write with it, but now I have the ability to do it. I don't want to give a secondhand bike that we stole to my nieces or my nephew's right, I give that.
Speaker 1: In those days, within those circumstances. Your your mum's boyfriend, right, your stip dad. He was trying to show.
Speaker 6: You love, yes, and he wanted to see me happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's what we want our kids to also experience that kind of joy and happiness. In terms of Christmas, Christmas is coming up and I've invited all of my family here. Well why not there's two because he bring your own sleeping bags this time. I hope that my dad's brothers, you know that live in Nimbu and can see my sisters come up from Sydney. I want all of my nieces and nephews, my sisters because of all of the trauma of losing our mum and dad. I want to actually bring back that Christmas spirit so that our nieces and nephews and my kids get to be together.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think we should do it for them.
Speaker 2: I think that speaks to the festive season, right, I think the festive season for me because Christmas is kind of like it's a bit of a religious thing. I'm not really that invested in it, and I've really not necessarily I've never really engaged in Christmas. So I got my nieces and I had kids. Now I don't have them, though, I'm like, well, I don't really want to celebrate Christmas. I want to acknowledge festive seasons because special seeds when mob come together. Right. So I'm now trying to create a different relationship with it, which I never had up until I never really acknowledge it exists until I had the kids. Now the kids are gone, I'm like, well, I need to create some level of connection based on this idea of what family love and how.
Speaker 4: We foster that.
Speaker 5: So what are you doing?
Speaker 2: I don't know. If God knows, I'm probably gonna be able to sea.
Speaker 6: To be honest, yeah, that's what I want to be.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I would love to do that this year. I am the grinch in my family. I don't love Christmas, although I spend a lot of money at Christmas. But again it's like that black guilt of like I don't have kids my own, but I do look at my nephews and nieces like I gave birth to them literally, and so for me, I overdo it. Like I have two younger nieces that in ones in high school and the other ones in grade six not to be in grade six, and I bought them like four hundred dollars worth of Mecca stuff because they like skincare.
Speaker 6: And my sister's like, you're doing too much, like, but.
Speaker 3: I just go over and above because for me, Christmas wasn't the greatest time either. My mum passed around Christmas time. I had an uncle who passed around Christmas time, so I literally was just for me Christmas is not that great. But I acknowledge now and my nun she sort of held the whole family together, and Christmas to me has always been her thing. And now she's getting old, I think we need to probably look at recreating Christmas and what that looks like.
Speaker 2: But it's difficult back right after this break.
Speaker 4: I'm keen to know though. I know that.
Speaker 2: Jan you're a lovely man, so you're married to what does like the festive season mean to you and him? Because he's American, right.
Speaker 3: He is, so Christmas in America is very serious. It's a very like I have a friend who has you know, a black family as well. They take Christmas very seriously and it's very religious as well.
Speaker 6: It's a very religious time for them.
Speaker 3: So he literally it has a Christmas tree in every room. It's not one Christmas tree, there's a Christmas tree for every room, so that you feel that throughout the whole house. And I was like, this is a bit much, but I also.
Speaker 2: From getting stolen but given to and having Christmas tree.
Speaker 3: In every room literally and now you know in our house, I I think should put a Christmas troops in our room. I could just create the fact, but I'm the Grinch, so I'm trying to I'm trying to transition from someone who will enjoy Christmas because eventually I do want to have kids and I don't want to be like so I don't want to be that person, but I think, yeah, it is a very it's it's serious business over there, but very commercial as well. So I've loved Christmas in the US. It's very different obviously though, because Christmas in Australia is cold meats, potato, salad, prawns, go to the beach, play cricket or you know whatever you're into. For my family, the orchards, it's like, you know, we get we generally they will hire a hall in this country. Musical day Country, Roger Knox, you know, playing Corey Row that's for seven hours.
Speaker 6: Charlie Pride, just non stop.
Speaker 3: But over there it's very like turkey made it yes, cold cooking.
Speaker 1: It's big turkeys and all of the like black American poll greens.
Speaker 5: Yes, what is that chitlins.
Speaker 6: Listen.
Speaker 3: This is the other thing I went to when I first moved to America. They were like, oh, and he's got a huge family. So when I first went, they was so excited as a as a as an Australian, like, oh, you have to try this, and you have to do this, so they do. Not all black families do this in America, by the way, But they made chitlins, which is pig intestines.
Speaker 2: Wait what yesestines?
Speaker 3: Yes, And let me tell you they were they was. They were so excited, they were so.
Speaker 6: Excited to feed me.
Speaker 5: This just don't know.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, I think it's just in Testine wild.
Speaker 2: You couldn't eat the actual inning in testine it eat it.
Speaker 6: It's disgusting.
Speaker 3: Anyway, anyway, Cedric coast meat, you don't have to eat this.
Speaker 6: But they were all like, eat it, eat it. You know, I can't wait for them to come here because I'm going to do the same.
Speaker 2: Did you try it?
Speaker 6: I did, and it was fucking.
Speaker 3: But if they're watching, I loved it, every bit of it.
Speaker 2: Love.
Speaker 6: But it's like, you know when you boiled chicken that smell in the house.
Speaker 2: I've never boiled chicken, Oh god, boiled so what you've nest so growing up? You never had like silver side cooked boiled meat with cabbage. Yeah, silver side, it's the same thing.
Speaker 4: No, it's boiled. It's boiled meat.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 4: Boiled meat has like a.
Speaker 2: Smell and it lingers and it's like it's pungent and it's like this, like it's that what smells.
Speaker 5: I was smelling in my.
Speaker 4: Wake up in.
Speaker 2: The Sunny coast and it's been forty degrees. You've got an air cons at your house and you walk out and you want under your arm pick like that and you have an that's what it boil meets And I was like, I'm telling you it's a dungeon boi and then put cabbage inside out of it. It's foul.
Speaker 6: Wow, it's really bad, but really bad.
Speaker 4: Really remember walking and it was good.
Speaker 6: It was great.
Speaker 4: Wait, see why were they boiling?
Speaker 2: So they put bowed chicken in the piging testines?
Speaker 4: No, did you get the boil?
Speaker 2: Like you're going back to these picking testines because I don't think you can eat testlines because it's.
Speaker 4: Got stuff in it. I don't know what was.
Speaker 2: They can we can feet, but that's not in testines and testlines are like the stuff.
Speaker 4: That you oh they eat pigs feet to pigs Feet's good.
Speaker 2: I had that in Fiji the other d actually, which is like a national Brazilian.
Speaker 5: It makes me want to be vegan, I know.
Speaker 3: And I literally was like I can't wait for these mom to come to and I'm just gonna be like, here's some kangaroo, which they as soon as I say we eat kangaroo, they're like, that's disgusting.
Speaker 5: Picking test and they give you some going.
Speaker 6: They're like it's so cute, and I'm like, skipping the tail.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you something, right, so you don't like in Testines And they bake this up and it's called what again, chit liens chitlins.
Speaker 6: Yes, and so they were like literally like.
Speaker 2: Watching me, and I was like, and they have this every time at Christmas.
Speaker 5: Well like a delicacy.
Speaker 3: Yes, but like Cedric was like, I don't eat this ship. You don't have to eat it, like it's not you. They just want to see you eat it as an Australian and be like the Australian came and ate the chillens and I played into it.
Speaker 5: Did you eat it and swallow it? You swallow?
Speaker 6: Swallow this?
Speaker 3: I always swallow anyway, swallowing it. And then I was like, yeah, that's great, but I didn't eat anymore.
Speaker 2: Right again, I want to go back to the boiled chicken, because how do we get on boil chicken?
Speaker 6: I was saying, it's like, have you smelled boiled chicken?
Speaker 2: It's like that testline smell, like when you cook.
Speaker 6: Well, it had that pungent smell.
Speaker 4: So do they boil the testines?
Speaker 6: They boil it?
Speaker 4: Okay, if we can't.
Speaker 2: If I can't deal with like corned beef and cabbage, I can't imagine it would be like testines.
Speaker 5: Well, well, how about one day we will do this.
Speaker 4: Day oil. I'm not doing it.
Speaker 2: No, I can't want to be offensive to the chitlin will pay you.
Speaker 5: Will eat oiled in testines d MS.
Speaker 1: Let us know, and the more people that wanting to do it will make it happen on this podcast. So what are you doing in terms of our listeners? What are they doing for Christmas? And how they planning to spend Christmas? It would be really good for people to start engaging with us on our social media, share with us your ideas.
Speaker 5: Are they recipes? Is there any kind of family.
Speaker 4: Do you know what?
Speaker 2: I want to listen to? Tags in their family photos?
Speaker 5: Cashtag, black x mess.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you one question both, what was your favorite meal through the first season?
Speaker 6: I know exactly oysters?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, just give me three dozen oysters and I will not share any trifle.
Speaker 2: Real fancy oysters, trifle. I'll say, I hate trifle. I feel like vomit when you honestly, when you put all into one thing, it's the texture for me. And you don't like oysters, well, no, that's another I don't like. That's white fellow feed.
Speaker 4: It's white fellow food and.
Speaker 5: Coast black follows out from that.
Speaker 2: You don't see fellows who grew up in like country and bush eating oysters.
Speaker 3: Right, we just it's island your oysters, hippies, hippies, ugariase.
Speaker 2: Mine's going to be real gamage. You remember the devon and potatoes. I loved it forever, and the and the eggs that used to boil and pull out the thing and make the mash.
Speaker 4: And put like the deviled eggs.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, So momm never bought any processed meats for us.
Speaker 2: That's my whole childhood, that oiled chicken.
Speaker 4: Apparently, I'm go.
Speaker 1: I've absolutely loved this session, session, session, I've absolutely loved this young Families festivity Exmas.
Speaker 5: This is having around and just getting.
Speaker 1: To know what you know, what what our families, what our families mean to us. And I think that you know it should be you know, black Exmas, blackness blackness.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and however you spend the holidays, or maybe it's not a holiday at all.
Speaker 2: It might not be well to wait, So do we answer? How are we going to spend holidays? So? How are you spending holidays? This year?
Speaker 5: I'm host told you my whole family, they're all coming here.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: So I'm excited to have all of my family here, and I hope that every Christmas that all of my nieces and nephews tell my sisters we're going to Animar's. So I'm looking forward now for the next at least the next ten to twenty years of hosting Christmas because this is the house to have family celebrations. I'm ready to make some new memories.
Speaker 6: That's beautiful.
Speaker 3: I am going to be with my sisters probably well, actually I will be with my sisters and their kids and their husbands.
Speaker 2: I will.
Speaker 6: This is the first year my nan is in a home.
Speaker 3: She's got tomnta, so usually we would be spending it with her at one of the houses. This time we'll be going to the home and spending it with her, which is going to be different, but also like trying to just ease into a different kind of Christmas.
Speaker 6: So I'm excited about that.
Speaker 3: I'm spending time with them, and otherwise I'd be getting out of the country maybe next year, next year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, what about you.
Speaker 2: I've a decided yet. I think I might leave the country.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's the first year after having my nieces that I won't have them, and it's always been about them the last couple of years. And I'm a grinch like Eugen So i might head overseas and be on my own.
Speaker 5: And talking about the Grinch in the next episode.
Speaker 6: You need to watch.
Speaker 2: So you need to get up with pop culture sis first. This is ridiculous, right, No Grinch, no Grinch reference. No.
Speaker 5: So he's green and he was ugly and he's obviously he.
Speaker 2: Just doesn't like Christmas because he was ugly and got picked on his Yeah, he got picked on. I'm nor was I picked on, But I just hate Christmas. I think it's just pompous.
Speaker 5: Okay. So he's a buzz killer.
Speaker 4: He's a buzz killer.
Speaker 6: Aun buzz killer like me, and he gets yeah.
Speaker 2: And he steals a Christmas. He's quite camp and quite flamboyant. I love him. Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 5: All right. Well, my takeaways from this episode is I'm.
Speaker 3: Going to watch The Grinch okay and Meols please me get on it. Thanks everyone for joining us. We hope that you enjoy whatever season that you're moving into.
Speaker 6: Whether that's I.
Speaker 2: Don't know if Salonica Dwali best.
Speaker 6: If it is, what does he celebrate? How fum doing it?
Speaker 1: Yes, we can't wait to see you in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 6: Yep you are blacker.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to Unapologetically Black, brought to you by Black Cast Unite Our Voices and produced by Clint Curtis.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's that's good enough.
Speaker 6: But well, do you want to wrap up the episode?
Speaker 4: That was it? Wasn't it?
Speaker 6: Well that's the tag?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: No, that's the wrap up.
Speaker 5: Now we're going to wrap it up. Let's do it again. Do you want to wrap up again?
Speaker 2: So thanks you mob for a little burgh. I can't look at you, Mar, You're making ne