Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frimes.
Speaker 2: This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 3: Flex and Frooms on Catera. Recently out of conversation I wasn't expecting to have in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's because I've curated my life so specifically that I don't have to engage in things that I don't relate to in the slidest but I was interacting with an acquaintance. I would say, who said to me or who remarked that they were surprised I had a whole mouthful of tooth gems. I haven't diden my teeth recently, I would say, the front like all of them, All of my front teeth have specklings of tooth gems. There's maybe fifty in my mouth as we speak. And this person said, do I find trouble with work like? Is that a consideration? To which I said, in so many words, no, it's not an issue. And they remark that they were going for a job in a creative field and had recently got their single tooth gem removed, cut their blonde balliaged hair to a short brown bob, and gotten a new outfit. To be quote unquote taken seriously. I don't want to be that person who acts like their naive about the way the world works. But I was like, really, was that all necessary for a creative job? Are we doing that?
Speaker 1: Still?
Speaker 3: I'm not I stopt being professional. At least in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: I will say that's a privilege that we have because and I earned it.
Speaker 1: Thank you exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like, how I'm really goofy over email? Yeah that came after seven years of best.
Speaker 3: Yeah kind of yeah, yeah, dear, do you want too many deers?
Speaker 2: When I finished school and I was trying to get into UNI, you had to do this interview to get into the course that I wanted to do, and I was like, oh my god, I really really want this. And so I went out and bought like a pussy bow blouse and a little skirt with tights and boots and yeah, like the thing had a pussy bowl on it, right, So it's like giving nine in fifties the way you keep.
Speaker 1: Saying it again, and and I know, you know, I know, you know.
Speaker 2: So it came up with pussy bow blouse. Anyway, I rock into iron my tea in my pussy bow blouse and I walk in. The guy said, why are you dressed like that? The lecturer, he says, why are you dressed like that? I'm taking it back. I thought, are you even allowed to say that? Like I'm thinking, am I gonna be able to get you dismissed? This is my Precaren era. Okay, it was bubblon Karen Oris in the story. And you know, so that that was an example. It's like that was a very creative course. But I took it really seriously and I really wanted something. I think desperation does funny things to people.
Speaker 3: Desperation is a theme that keeps coming up for us, and it's a new one. Not that we are but we're seeing it in the world, and you know, the world is you reflected back?
Speaker 1: Can I get it?
Speaker 4: Who rah?
Speaker 1: Who Rah?
Speaker 2: I get who Rah.
Speaker 3: It's a tricky one because, like I said, when I looked at this person, and I'm just gonna say what, it was plain Caucasian woman, like the most quote unquote inoffensive type of woman in Australia for Australian standards. We don't need to go too deeply into it. And so when I thought, when I looked at her, I was like, damn, like, you got a generic name, you know.
Speaker 2: Holly, it's not I don't want to. I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Is that generic? I said, you got a generic name.
Speaker 3: You know, you're seen as neutral, you are conventionally attractive, and it's so interesting that you've taken these additional steps to be considered as someone who is worthy of taking up this space. I remember she was also mentioning that, like she knows someone who's offering, sorry, who's asking for double what she's asking for. And I'm thinking, damn, Like I remember when I used to work in more traditionally corporate spaces and at every interview they'd be like, oh, I.
Speaker 1: Thought you were German.
Speaker 3: Oh I was on the phone with you and I saw your name and I heard your voice and I thought you were German. It's like, oh are you? And it kept coming up and I'm like, oh, it wasn't giving African on paper on the phone, and you got confus use.
Speaker 1: I was like, damn, like I really just sweped in.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know there was privilege in having a name like Lilian, Lilian a Hanken, because like a Hanken, I guess, isn't screaming African.
Speaker 1: They're kind of like, oh, there's a k in there.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's a European ish And so I was like, whoa. That was like a little silent privilege I was getting. I didn't even clock it. But then, as you know, like even if we talk about this creative industry that we're in, it's like, if I was going to be ostracized from the job, it's not the things that I can put on and take off, do you know what I mean, It's.
Speaker 1: Like the permanent things that we can't change.
Speaker 3: So I'm like tooth Gym's gotta stay on, you know, being outlandish. It's like we're just adding to it becauseish, if I wasn't gonna be here, it's for other reasons. But you said something really apt at our Specsaveror's live show about how like, are we perpetuating beauty standards by acknowledging that there are beauty standards? And similarly, are we perpetuating professionalism by you know, getting that cool job and recognizing that we've got to change ourselves to get said job, or like I'm going to hide my tattoos and put them back on. And it's obviously two prongs like one, don't be a dummy, like if you know what's required to get the job, and you can like Vanessa system a little bit for system.
Speaker 1: But then also.
Speaker 3: What is best case scenario and do you have the bandwidth to work towards that in your own small way.
Speaker 2: So some would say we are game changers, tastemakers.
Speaker 1: I think everyone would say, be crazier. We need to be crazy.
Speaker 2: We need to do some crazy things to make the average tooths gym wearing. Yeah, women feels safe and secure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got to raise the bar and we'll do it a half time time again, do it?
Speaker 2: What can I do that's giving something a bit crazier.
Speaker 3: Show your timmy at work like I do. Don't hide your belly button and don't put on shoes either.
Speaker 1: He will hate her.
Speaker 2: I was putting my ship, was putting my feet up the.
Speaker 1: Company so far, I was wondering. I was like, and that is pushing the.
Speaker 3: Needle forward when it comes to equality and diversity.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Flex and frooms they're the best.
Speaker 3: Last week or the week before, sometime in February, we had a live show with Specsavers.
Speaker 1: Shout out.
Speaker 3: I said it before, I said again, thank you for spending your marketing budget on us. It's well spent for the least, and you will get a return sometime within the near future that the stock has gone up. But we talked about this idea of wasting our time or money on fashion, and then I've been thinking about the concept broadly since would I rather waste my time or money generally? And I feel like I have I'm really good at wasting my money.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: It's one of those things where you know, grow up in poverty, single parent, household, mums a clean or whatever. Then you got a bit of money and I'm like, who cares, I never had it. Let's just spend it. Spend it on me, spend it on you, spend it on stuff. I don't have value the value of stuff. And then I grow up, I start running businesses and paying something like okay, there's a value here.
Speaker 1: I understand it.
Speaker 3: Now the dial is shifted and I'm like, okay, I need to waste my time some more. I don't think I'm really good at wasting my time properly. I used to find myself in conversations and being really aware of like where else I could be, and like this is taking a really long time. What do they want? What are we getting to? Which's not a sexy place to be. I feel like something about knowing how to waste time well, feels like the opposite of desperation. If you're someone who's really like I'm wasting him to time?
Speaker 1: What are we doing? There's a desperate energy about that. It's like, let it go.
Speaker 3: Where are you trying to go? Why can't it just be chill and fine right here?
Speaker 2: Totally chasing the dragon?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I just think, but I think this week I overcorrected because we're moving out of our commercial office space and moving operations to Melbourne. It's phase one of my phase three project of trying to move to Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Personally, absolutely absolutely, Oh my god. Just imagine if you're in Melbourne, you would bring a certain glamorous esocence that the city is desperate for. Okay, yes, no.
Speaker 4: More nonderground grassroots.
Speaker 2: No more Berlin core. Okay, we need some color.
Speaker 1: Bring in some premium corporate.
Speaker 2: It's like brains during Prideways.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to bring to Melbourne a sense of Hm, how do you say?
Speaker 1: This was signed off?
Speaker 3: But I was like, Okay, I'm learning how to waste less of my money, right, and so we have to we painted the office or colorful and we've got to paint it back white.
Speaker 1: And I was like, I'll do it myself. I just wondering myself, you know. So tell me why we go to Bunnings. I'm spending like five dollars worth of paint and paint tools the.
Speaker 3: C I'm spending a full day of work painting an office we got we got saliha stuff. Member spending a full day painting first to get to the end of the day and not be done.
Speaker 1: So what are we doing?
Speaker 3: I can't get it together, So I'm in progress. My life is a whip at the moment. What's going on?
Speaker 1: But I'm making changes in some way.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, my life is a whip. Yeah, that's a good tattoo.
Speaker 1: It's giving corporate.
Speaker 2: Flex and we hear at the Flex and froom show and I will say, we are law abiding citizens. Have you ever been arrested?
Speaker 3: Reck?
Speaker 1: Can? I have for sure for sure?
Speaker 2: Never never been strip searched, which, if anything needs to be abolished, it's a strip search, thank you. No jokes or dramas there never. Oh. I have been pulled over once or twice, but that's not the moral of a story. I was driving down King Street yesterday, minding my own business, going to swap to go pick up some clothes, and I noticed it was quite a every police presence on this fine day, and I thought I would notice that the only time I see police in my neighborhood is on a Saturday night. And you know why little exchange is happening in cars, right, I see it every Saturday. From driving around. You see the cops doing.
Speaker 1: A little busts, the undercover.
Speaker 2: But in terms of like the day to day police presence on the roads, I don't really travel on the roads where I see them that often. However, doming on King Street, I feel a police car next to me. It's almost like cosmic. I just knew they were there, and I turned and I just thought, I'm going to look at them and see if they're looking at me.
Speaker 1: Setting dominant. I get it.
Speaker 2: Literally, this thing that I like to do when I see police people. I like to look at them in the eye because I know I'm not doing anything wrong, but I want to invite I want to invite them to like test me. So I look over like this and I go.
Speaker 1: You smile at the cars. I smiled at the cop.
Speaker 2: And the guy looks at me like this, not a hint of emotion on that man's face.
Speaker 1: That one came out of a lab. That's the robot.
Speaker 2: Sociopaths allowed to be police people.
Speaker 1: How did we get here?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, but I have an inviting smile. I'm a citizen with no of rests under the belt. Yeah, I'm a non threatening energy on my face. I gave him the nicest smile and he just looked at me, dead dead in the eyes.
Speaker 1: For how long?
Speaker 2: I thought, you're making me want to commit a crime?
Speaker 1: Three to five?
Speaker 2: You know what I did?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know what I did?
Speaker 4: Did you?
Speaker 2: We were side by side of the lights and there was a parked car up top, so someone was gonna have to merge. No, it's his own mind, you but I kept under You would have accelerated and then slowed down, sloped down, and then when even Yeah, anyway, I'm not gonna I don't want to incite the police.
Speaker 1: But he knows to the buses, bloody Oh, he's well aware.
Speaker 2: If you're a policeman, just smile. Okay, let's just bring the vibes up the community.
Speaker 3: Yeah, moroun needs to come way up because unfortunately the presence of your community is bringing the vibe down and it's a big burden to carry on your own. To do us a service, do yourself a service, give us a smiler.
Speaker 1: M This is.
Speaker 2: Sitting, This is flex and frooms on cater. The Flexing Froom show wouldn't be the Flexing Froom Show if we didn't bring some of our flavor and essence to the show.
Speaker 1: I was, where is this going?
Speaker 2: Honestly, I don't know half the time. And that is that we love to cross promote. Oh yeah, for sure, genius marketers. Yeah, I studied advertising. You grew up in the club scene.
Speaker 4: Having you attended you did you wear a door out to a club? That is?
Speaker 1: That is where we connect on this. You're sick anyway, I get it. Tertially educated queen. Let me know what else we did?
Speaker 2: So like the three periods, your lips is like you know, when something's loading, it's like ding ding ne ding anyway. Across marketing, decision would be to tell you about my live show Besties with Lewis Hansen. He is a Melbourne comedian, content creator, writer, one of our own, one of our brethren and we have put a live show together to be doing in Melbourne as part of the Melbourne Comedy Festival. And I wanted to bring it on the show to say, hey, guys, buy tickets too late. Guess what twelve hours that even.
Speaker 3: Yesterday when you're like, oh my god, it's selling, I was like, someone out that quickly, twelve hours sold out.
Speaker 1: People can't say that. People can't say that.
Speaker 2: I got my manager on the phone. Should we move it over to were gon.
Speaker 1: Need to move it to the stadium? They said, we're gonna happen. Let's call me Salva. Let's take No.
Speaker 2: They're like, well do you want to do like the Capital Theater And I said, babe, respectfully, I turn it down because I thought.
Speaker 1: No, let's take the win that you have the win exactly.
Speaker 2: I don't want to go back to.
Speaker 1: The drawing war. Give that gold for bron yeah.
Speaker 2: Exactly, we would know we've got it. Not just kidding, just kidding. Podcast award, no, no bronze in front of it. So yeah, I will say if you bought tickets, I was very insistent on sorry that if you were a day oner, get the ticket, okay, And I said it time and time again. I've got my friends blowing up my phone.
Speaker 1: I do not disturb for that one.
Speaker 2: I said, guys, buy the ticket. Okay, I'm not going to give you freebies. Some of the people don't realize with shows and music shows, and I'm realizing this now as a punter. Pay for the ticket.
Speaker 1: It's a bit of fun.
Speaker 2: You're paying your friend. Also, I've got I've got overheads to pay for them.
Speaker 1: Okay, overhead, yeah, pay for the ticket.
Speaker 3: But also if you want to do something getting quick, there's something I don't know if it's like just the just a young person thing or an Australian thing, but there's this weird incompatible energy of being excited for something and then not.
Speaker 1: I don't want to say pull in the trigger. What is another term here?
Speaker 2: We can do that. There's no guns in a shay Okay, there's no content Australia.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 3: Like everyone's like, oh, I'm so excited. If it said so, then why are you on the Instagram story doing Hey? Anyone telling you tickets? Were you really excited? Do you not have a calendar?
Speaker 2: Hurry up?
Speaker 1: Maybe payday wasn't on that day? I get it.
Speaker 2: I'll do payment plans next time after pay for easy payments. Anyway, if you've got tickets and you're listening to the podcast, hit me up. I'm going to organize a guest list for my favorite club afterwards, so I'll let you know the details. Just want to say a big thank you supporting me. I got some high school best friends, didn't quite get around to it, and now they're in my DMS. You know who you are.
Speaker 1: Flex and Firms, Flex.
Speaker 2: And Frames cater never miss a beat, FLEXI. I want to talk about money. Seems to be recurring theme on the show is a crass they talk about.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We're pushing the dial, as we said earlier, pushing the dial on a lot of things. Sometimesime we push the dollar. I don't know if we're going backwards or forwards.
Speaker 3: I don't think it matters. It's all about momentum. Life is sicklefl anyway, We're always going backwards and forwards.
Speaker 2: That's true quantum vibes. I was invited to a sit down dinner recently for a birthday all paid for. Oh yeah, okay, and I thought, does that mean I have to bring a birthday present?
Speaker 1: What do you reckon?
Speaker 2: Well, this is my qualm.
Speaker 1: Has it happened?
Speaker 2: Oh no, it's coming out. It's it's in April, and like we've got a lot, a lot of time to pray. Like it's going to be a really nice party. And the person whose party it is is really rich, Like they have a lot of money and they've got amazing tastes, like they've got all this, and like I could never even think of a gift to get them, and I'm going to their party and I'm like, I am in gift paralysis. I don't know what to get you that you don't already have that is within my means and our friendship level.
Speaker 1: You know, I love this so much.
Speaker 2: Like they're not one of my close close friends, but I'm I made the carton and I wouldn't say, you know, as we know, fougal friends stand up. I think I'm quite generous when it comes to my immediate friends, you know, three for besties, but yeah, when it comes to bigger group presidents and stuff, I find it hard.
Speaker 1: It is quite difficult.
Speaker 3: And we have this conversation a lot because, as we've just discussed, I'm very flippant with my money and we need to figure that out a little bit. So in this instance, if I'm going to like an acquaintance or like a party friend's party, I wouldn't come empty handed, like I would just like bring a bottle or something I don't know, because for the optics it kind of looks good. I can imagine in this instance, whenever I've paid for my like a full birthday affair with no expectation, it's because I didn't want someone else's funds to limit my birthday experience. Right I'm hosting the birthday I want to host, and I'm in finding people I want to invite. It's not a burden for you to show up and have to match that. What I will say, though, is if you can't match in value, then you you increase the sentimentality. You know, you write something, you make something like let's say you wrote her really thoughtful letter, or you like got her like a cute little I don't know, like a knickknack, like you got her like a cute little tier cards and like a little Crystal wrote her a lot of be like this is so nice. We're new friends, but I'm so grateful to be here. You wax seal it thoughtful.
Speaker 2: Got to hear your wax seals.
Speaker 3: So fun, right, as opposed to being like, wait, I gotta get her the six hundred dollar diptyque candle and go, you know, go broke because I've been invited. Yeah, I think where you can just go with sentimentality because giving a good giving a good gift is not a simple task, and I don't think it should be undertaken on any average day.
Speaker 2: I agree, it's gonna be thought about. Then I thought about flowers, but bringing the flowers to the Yeah, leave it alone.
Speaker 3: And you don't want to look like you're doing too much like you did say you're like kind of a periphery friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what's just so complicated.
Speaker 1: Keep it subtle and light.
Speaker 3: And I would say, like giving a gift where it has like no real discernible value, Like it's like a crystal. What is a crystal? Someone who doesn't like crystals, it's a crystal to rock, but a crystal keet a little letter, here's for me. It's sweet, okay, And it's about the exchange, not the quality of the gift.
Speaker 2: So true. All right, we'll keep you posted on what I get.
Speaker 1: I love that you've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 2: For more, tune int cater on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.