Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week. That right. Hey, guys, welcome back to TV Reload. Thanks so much for clicking and downloading. On today's episode, You're in for a very good chat. I'm talking with William, Jake and Jamn, the latest three contestants to be eliminated from Australian Idol, which means, yep, the Grand Final is happening this Sunday night, and guys, I am so pumped for that. This competition had been seriously fierce this year. Jake had been one of the best country singers I can remember seeing on Australian Idol, and Jamn just the sweetest guy with a heart of gold. Honestly, I'm still processing this week's results and seeing William Gough, who is quite a number of your favorites, was actually quite devastating to watch. A quick reminder, don't forget to vote. This is it, guys. It is in our hands now and there's very few reality shows that we get to do this, so I'm honestly thrilled if Eilish Marshall or Gizilla take it out. But before we crown the winner, we've got the bitter sweet task of saying goodbye to our top six. William chats to me about discovering his love of swing music and what he thinks his debut album could sound like. Jake gets real about being the oldest contestant, the songs he wanted to sing but couldn't, and how his tour might look a little different from what we've seen on the show. And Jamen opens up about going head to head with Gisella and what was really going through his mind during that emotional elimination moment. We have got backstage stories, emotional reflections, and some big revelations about the standout performances. So sit back and relax, get comfy. Let's dive into the world of Australian Idol with the finale just around the corner. Hi, mate, how are.
Speaker 2: You, hey, Ben? How's we go on?
Speaker 1: I'm good. I'm quite excited to be talking to you because all season long I've been saying to everyone that I'm obsessed with your teeth. I can't stop looking. This is going to be the weirdest thing that anyone says to you throughout talking to the media. But I honestly, I just have been waiting to talk to you. The teeth are are they your born teeth? Are they real? I don't know. They're the best teeth I've ever seen on a human ever.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 3: They are like they And you know what, it's so funny because calling on them, What are you doing with your teeth?
Speaker 2: What are you doing?
Speaker 4: I'm like, I'll just brush them my mom. I might use a bit of a whining tube place every now and again. But yes, I'm very I've had a good Danders. I have to I have to give a shout out to my Dentercy.
Speaker 2: He did a good job.
Speaker 1: Well you're from Melbourne. I'm from Melbourne. I need to go there. I need to go to that.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 2: I'll have to give you the details then.
Speaker 1: I'll hit you up offline.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: You know, you were one of the more unusual performers this season in the sense that there was something very unique and it was something that we hadn't seen on idol since I guess that had come back on Channel seven oh seven up.
Speaker 6: Turn around.
Speaker 1: See. I was it kind of good to have the edge that you weren't really competing against another swing singer, that you kind of owned that category.
Speaker 2: I was great.
Speaker 7: I mean and to be like the only swing person and I was in my own lanes. So for me, I didn't, I just I just had to focus on being myself and having fun. And I mean that was obviously definitely a bonus. But I mean for the other contestants that the competition, I mean, this year has been so good because everyone We've got so much.
Speaker 2: Diversity this year, and you had rappers, you.
Speaker 7: Had R and B, and then you had swing, you had pop, so that that was the beauty of it. And I think that it worked well for all of us because we just got to focus on just being ourselves and.
Speaker 2: Going out there and having fun.
Speaker 1: Honestly, it is the best lineup of any season. I thing since season one, well, I remember the very season you Weren't Born. I'm pretty sure nah that it was so iconic because everyone owns sort of a bit of a category, but they all have these big personalities, where with you this here, I feel like I've gotten to know you all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, that's very true too.
Speaker 7: And even the way that they portrayed, like those of the stories and the packages that you see before we go up had been fantastic And it's always fun to film those things and then you know, we just show Australia a little bit more of what we're about and different sides, I mean, even ourselves. Like for me, I learned I didn't even know that Giselle had a twin brother until they said, you know all these things that you that you uncover on the show, is it's so cool?
Speaker 1: Well, I can tell you that one of my best friends who is obsessed with this show, I was at a movie premiere last night, so I had couldn't watch it live, and and I could watch it when I got home, and he was absolutely devastated that you're out of the competition because you were his favorite. Has there been an unusual reaction for people seeing you leave the competition because I know a lot of people thought you could take it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, I think a lot of people were quite quite upset. I mean I've just had a very very brief looking idea and they're quite full on, like, which is I mean so special to know that there's so many people that really wanted me to see me there in that grand finale. But I mean, look for me, it's not I'm not down, I'm not upset about it. I'm more just just thankful and grateful and blessed that to come this far and to be a part of just that group, not even just the six, but the twelve and even the twenty one. I mean, it's just a blessing.
Speaker 7: Because to be a part of it, to do what I love to do. And it's like I said last night, I said, this is my dream come truy, my dream has come true.
Speaker 2: So I didn't expect anything.
Speaker 7: I came to the competition not having any expectations. So for me, I take this as a win, to be honest, because it's just a celebration of accomplishing what I've always dreamed of accomplishing.
Speaker 1: What I love about you is your commitment to the genre. When I saw you the very first time, I did some stalking online to try and find out more about it, and the thing that really shocks me about you is that you were sort of this unusual character on stage, but then when I could see your interactions with all of your friends, you're kind of sporty and like this footy guy that likes cars, and then you just turn into this person by nighttime, like a superhero, does you know what I mean? Like it's almost a bit of an alter ego. Where did you find out that you liked this genre of music?
Speaker 7: I mean, I've always liked Ever since I was young, I was always amused, like I loved music. I loved I listened to it. I had all these inspirations. I loved dancing aspects of it. I love the show aspect. That's what I do. A great like Michael Jackson and all these great performers that used to put on an epic show. And then I think I just started listening to Sinatra, Elvis Presley, like all those great then martyrs, and I just sort of started thinking, oh my god, this is really cool, like I like the style of music, and then I started singing it. I think the first song that I sang was my Way, and then ever since it was the rest.
Speaker 2: It's been easier.
Speaker 7: I've just been I mean I remember every day used to come back home from school, I mean, after you know, we used.
Speaker 2: To have sports.
Speaker 7: I loved footing, and I just used to knuckle down. Used to go into my little music room. I had my own little room there. I used to just practice and practice and practice, and then there you go. I used to just refine my craft, have fun and the rest of this story.
Speaker 1: Really it should be really camp and it should be really dagging. It should be, but somehow you made it look so cool and so swamped. Every week I'm like, I don't know how this guy's going.
Speaker 2: It was so fun.
Speaker 7: And then to do it, and like even to do that Amy song, yeah, I mean to do that and to perform it in front of it, And when we were doing the arrangement, I was thinking, Okay, look, I want to mess with the song too much, But at the same time, I do want to mess with that song like I want to, you know, really pushed the boundaries as much as I can with this one, because it only was a risk, you know, because she could have turned around and said that was you just ruined my song, but she didn't.
Speaker 2: She loved it.
Speaker 8: How then I stay, I'll we just find a more about me, tell about us out.
Speaker 1: Come on girls.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 7: We had the dancers there with the hands going through me, and I was that was pretty cool. And then obviously with all those twists.
Speaker 3: That I've done, I did that Eagle Rock Ross Wilson ended.
Speaker 2: Up seeing it.
Speaker 3: So just I mean, it's crazy to know that there's so many people.
Speaker 7: That have been invested in it that have seen it, and I loved it so and like every single time that I've prepared for like a song and done me rangement and done the staging when we all got down together ideas on the drawing board, it's just been so much fun. I've been like literally in my element. It's it's so good.
Speaker 1: I just don't know how you don't fall back into singing the songs like we know them, because these songs that you're singing so many of them, they have such a unique they have a particular style, you know, they sound a certain way. I would be like, if the nerves got the best of me, I feel like I would just I would stop the swing. I feel like I would fall back into the way in which it sounds on the radio or the way that I was used to it. Were you ever worried that you would lose the arrangement and you would go back into the traditional arrangement of the.
Speaker 2: Song, Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 7: I Mean there was always moments where I thought, oh, should we go you know, should we pay.
Speaker 2: More tribute to the song?
Speaker 7: I mean I definitely had that with Eagle Rock because it's such an iconic song, and I didn't want to muck around with it.
Speaker 2: That's why I kept it.
Speaker 7: I mean, we sped up a little bit, but I really wanted to keep the like the melody was the same, the whole thing. So I think that was always especially when you're taking on a song like that and you have to be careful because then it can go two ways. People will just say you just ruined this song. We can't recognize it. And that's the thing when you're twisting a song and almost making it not unrecognizable but not you know, to what it's really known for, because people know that song when it's played at the pub, played at the wedding or whatever. The okay, that's biga rock. You know, we're jamming to this song. So that was definitely, Yeah, definitely crossed my mind for sure.
Speaker 1: I loved talking to Scott Tweet the other day. I was chatting to him and he said to me, some of these artists, you know, there's so much nervous energy that goes into it. And then he was like, well, you when he finishes the songs, there is sweat pouring out of this kid's hands, Like, honestly, is that a true story? Is he telling me a liar. Is that what happens?
Speaker 2: Oh, that is that's true. I just because I've put it all on the stage, like I don't leave anything. I don't believe it's not.
Speaker 3: Literally like I mean, I'm always because I just.
Speaker 2: I have much fun.
Speaker 3: I think it's just any adrenaline. And yeah, I mean especially on the results and doing it quite sweaty, because you're very very nervous.
Speaker 1: But your face look like it's all. I don't know, maybe all the sweat glands have moved to your hands.
Speaker 9: I don't know, because you look it's.
Speaker 1: So strange to me. And also you could tell that this genre of music is something you're very passionate about, because I could see other contestants this year, you know, trying really to stay with their choreography, where with your choreography it's so specific to you it almost feels like it almost I never sounds strange, but I almost felt like when I would watch you, I imagine that's what you'd be like as a kid, dancing around your lounde room to this sort of music.
Speaker 3: But tually, and that's what it is, and that's what I've done, like the whole thing, and that's what they told me that to just be William like and that's what I've done.
Speaker 2: Like even with HEP You Rock, I didn't care if I'm.
Speaker 3: Going to let's do a twig, let's turn around, and let's let's run across this stage, and I just whatever came to my whatever happened in the moment I get.
Speaker 2: I didn't think think it twice.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think we've I said, high, it's a bit more you know, Okay, we're going to start you know, in the center. Then we're going to move up here with the dancers. So that was a bit more you know, choreographed.
Speaker 3: But for the majority of the part, I just said, let's just have fun because I think that's what people like.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Obviously I want to still have a polish performance, but I feel like, you know, it just brings out the best of me when I just when I'm William, when I'm there and have fun and I don't really care about you know, what happens is whatever happens happens, and it brings out the character that I want to show with especially for some of those songs, like for egor Rock, that's the character I wanted. It's that song that it comes on in the part, and then you know everyone does, you know, their job, their decks and everything.
Speaker 2: Not that I was probably going to do that, but I thought, let's just have fun with this one.
Speaker 1: Yes, just so amazing too. I think these days, you know, there's a lot of trouble in the world. You know, we want to be.
Speaker 2: Happy, you know what I mean.
Speaker 9: Like and you you particularly, you just exube this joy and I think that is really important to have when it comes to entertainment at the moment.
Speaker 1: And I think that's probably why you've been there right to the end. And look, I'm going to sound really old when I say this, but I remember I used to buy my music at a music stories to go into brashes insanity. Ask your mum, she'll tell you, you know, but I used to buy my music. And I remember a friend of mine got a job working at Sanity in the nineties and it was when Michael Bublay became big. It was just as Michael Boublay's first album came out, and I remember I had no idea, I said, who is Michael Bubble? Like I was so out of the loop with it. But these albums were flying off the She was like Ben we cannot stock this album. We are selling it out all the time. To me, I feel like that's where you are. I feel like if you were to drop an album at the moment tomorrow, more so than anyone else that's in this competition, I think it would fly off the shelf.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean even Amy said that to me last night. I said the omen crisis like I'm calling it if you do a swing album of color, And that's really has opened my eyes. And now I'm thinking, Okay, you know, what can I do? I've got I've got so many like original songs. But at the same time, I know people love me changing and twisting iconic songs and you know, pop songs and rock songs and whatever. So there's a lot going through my mind now where I'm thinking, Wow, this is this can truly be something, especially where people are going to get all over it by the album, you know, listen to it played.
Speaker 2: I want people to play.
Speaker 3: It at their weddings, play at their parties, you know.
Speaker 7: Like that that's for me, Like every time I've gotten on those stage, I just want people to have fun, enjoyed, And like you were saying, then, you know, people just want people to be happy. You know, we need more happiness in this world. Yeah, yeah, exactly, that's what I want to bring.
Speaker 1: I think that album and don't don't ask me because I'm not a music producer, but I just think in at original song as is your leading track, and then get the rights to see if you see what some of these songs that you've covered, you're allowed to get the rights to and throw that out as soon as possible because people are talking about you now. You know, people want to go hands with you now. So I just hope you don't give up with this because this is like like this is in your DNA, this is what you were born to do.
Speaker 2: So look literally and that's how I feel every time.
Speaker 7: It's just like like I'm saying, I'm in my element when I'm doing this stuff.
Speaker 2: It's just that I love it.
Speaker 1: Well, can we talk about your parents, because like, your mom looks like the swinging lady in the world, Like, how did she cope last night? She looked very excited to see you get up there and do your swing. Do you think and I don't know, she just connected with the audience. I saw so many people online saying about how sweet your mum is. What was her react os parents are.
Speaker 2: I think there was just more supportive.
Speaker 3: I think Mom was just so happy to see me up there and having fun and doing what I love.
Speaker 2: Because she knows this is what I love. This is me Andy.
Speaker 7: And I remember, you know, when I was singing that second change like that solo. When I did that solo, I looked at her and I just saw her smile. I'm like, you know, this is it was just special. Even when I did Happy Sunday Night, I just looked at her all my family, my brothers and dad and Mum, and I remember just thinking to myself, this is truly special to have my family there, and they've been there every single week. Every time I look up at them and I see them there, It's just it's so touching.
Speaker 3: And Mom is just so supportive because she knows this is what I love. And regardless of the results, she knew and I would be happy either way. I mean, even if I didn't make it to top twelve or whatever I was, I was just yeah, so happy. And I'm just lucky to have a mom that you know, loved me so much and the supportive of what I do.
Speaker 1: It's it's so obvious though and like from the moment I saw it, Yeah, this kid comes forward. These kids has good parents, Like they've never done a thing. Oh honestly, No, She's done.
Speaker 2: Fantastic and just sacrificed so much for me. So I just couldn't have asked for more her for this journey.
Speaker 1: Well, before you go, ask everyone, what are something from behind the scenes, Like, do you have a behind the scene from your time on the show. You know so many people want an audition and get on the show that may never get to stand on that stage. Is there anything that you can share that's kind of you know, what it's like to be a contestant on a show like this.
Speaker 2: I mean it's I mean, it's so cool.
Speaker 3: I remember in Top thirty week, I mean we were all so nervous and you know.
Speaker 2: It's our first topic.
Speaker 3: You know, we've got the gold ticket and there's dirty of arts and everyone was just so good. And I remember I think we got us down once and all together as the group and we're all done. I can't remember when. I think it was freedom that we sung the last year Top twelve song.
Speaker 2: They just did it.
Speaker 3: They just said, okay, guys, let's have a sink and I remember me, I was.
Speaker 2: Just shitting myself. I thought, oh my will this is you know this everyone's so good.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking, oh, you're probably never going to make you know, And everyone was looking at each other and we were talking about it last night.
Speaker 2: That's the contestants. We were saying how how crazy it was coming.
Speaker 3: From that where everyone was like, wow, what's going to happen?
Speaker 2: Because we didn't know what was going to happen. It was just you didn't know.
Speaker 7: I mean, you know, there's been so many you know, shock eliminations and stuff like that where we thought, wow, we didn't expect that person to go home. But I think it's just a matter of believing in yourself because look at me, I was in there doing that little we were doing that little practices, everyone singing that song, thinking that I'll never know. I'll probably just make it maybe out of this round and that's it. But just always believing yourself that. That's my advice to anyone if you are going to audition, just audition, because I remember I didn't want.
Speaker 3: To audition at first. I thought, oh, maybe maybe it's not for me. I probably won't make it. At swing, no one likes it and then I just kept on seeing it on Instagram and on social media, and I just thought, I don't know, just something came across me and I thought, let me apply, and I did it and I got the call back, and I thought, oh.
Speaker 2: I'm just so glad I did. So that's my advice.
Speaker 3: I just believe believing yourself and never ever doubt your stuff.
Speaker 2: Reach for the start.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm in your audience like a lot of people, So good luck with this. Take those guys the limit it really is, you know, And I thoroughly enjoyed it. So good luck. Enjoy chatting with the media. And yeah, thanks for being so gentle and sharing a story with me today.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, Ben. I's absolute pleasure to speak to you today. Thank you so much for having.
Speaker 1: Me say load to your mother for me. She's a good lady.
Speaker 2: I will I will, I will, of course, thank.
Speaker 1: You man, See you mate. By Now what a great chat with William? I mean, could I be more obsessed with his teeth? Kind of awkward for me, and he gave us such cool insights into his time on the show. Now, guys, let's shift gears and unpack the idle journey with our country boy Jake. I've got a feeling he's got a few good stories up his sleeve.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm doing well.
Speaker 1: I'm very excited to be talking to you though, No, thank you very much. Well, I just think you were such an asset to this competition. And I want to say, I'm going to be really honest. I'm not always the biggest fan of country singers in these competitions, but I have listened to your version of Staying Alive more times than anyone else's performance this year. So I'm I'm I'm a big fan.
Speaker 3: I really appreciate that. It means a lot to me.
Speaker 1: How did you get that song on the road like a sin? Was that something that you'd ever sung before? Like were you surprised that you were able to tackle that song with such gusto?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: What was the process like in putting that song together?
Speaker 3: It was a bit of a mission that one putting together Stand Alive. It's never someone thought I would doing TV, that's for sure. And we pulled inspiration from a few different places. You know, I wanted to go Western to start, and then I want to bring that disco vibe back.
Speaker 2: I don't want to go full.
Speaker 3: BJ disco, so there was a few other covers around that we saw that we kind of took ideas from and then kind of made a big scrambled egg and put it together and send it out for everyone. Well, on my Boots and I'm the dancing Man.
Speaker 8: I just can't little you know what's on?
Speaker 1: It's you get track the upside effects on man? Well you.
Speaker 2: Loud?
Speaker 3: Did you make him in there?
Speaker 5: Everybody shooting loud?
Speaker 1: The strings were amazing violin yea. I just thought that was definitely one of the highlights of the season. And was it something that you'd been doing for a long time to sort of put a twist on pop songs and make them sound country.
Speaker 3: No, not at all for me. I've always been doing country music and country music's my heart and soul, and I would have loved to do country on the on the competition, but unfortunately, unfortunately, fortunately whichever you look at it, people liked it when I did the twist on BEHEMI Your Rhapsody, and I kind of just really had to help hold that through and keep going. And honestly, the biggest challenge musically I've ever had in my life to try and change these songs, you know, I was everythingle song was so far out of my lane, which made me work harder and I really enjoyed it. It was good for me, It's good for my musicianship and I think it really helped me level up as artist.
Speaker 1: Was there songs that you kept asking if they could do and was there reason for not doing them was to try and keep you in that lane of sort of sounding pop or was it they didn't have the rights to it, or were they worried that maybe people might not be as familiar with those tracks. What was the roadblocks and maybe singing some of the songs that you were more used to.
Speaker 3: I think just the viewers and the people what they wanted. They wanted the remixes, so they that'sought we gave them.
Speaker 1: What was your reaction to making it so far through the competition?
Speaker 2: Grateful?
Speaker 3: It is my reaction. I guess I never thought of it three years as let alone make it to the top six of Australian Idol and be one week WoT from the Grand Final, like so grateful that the people that rally behind me and supported me from communities all over Australia country folk really stood up to me and you being the only go to find a flag the country music on Australian Idol and being one of the biggest genres in Australia just proved that country really has a place here on the radio and throughout Australia.
Speaker 1: I think you're just a likable blow. Not only were you a great singer and did you offer something unique and something quite different. You seemed very genuine and very comfortable in your skin. And maybe that might be the age difference, I don't know, like or maybe it's the amount of time that you've had actually being live and singing for live audiences.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not sure. I just might have think coming in the show, my rule was just to be unapologetically myself and I wasn't going to put a character on or pretend to be somebody else for the show, because you know, I did this music thing already and I'm going to keep doing it, and I didn't want to change myself for TV. So I'm proud that. I guess if people liked me and enjoyed me, that was I guess the goal, and it was really nice that people could relate with me and be a part of the journey.
Speaker 1: In connect I think that's the thing is like, as a musician, you have to connect through the screen.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: The judges were there to sort of help you along the way. Did you have any take homes from Amy and Marsha and Kyle, Like, what sort of advice did they give you that's helpful for you moving forward?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Good question.
Speaker 3: I guess there were a good bit their advice and things, and Marsha's always comes up with a really nice way to explain things to you. And it was good that, you know, just to find that kind of stillness in the moment and really believe what you're singing in the lyrics and the matter of the song. Find a way to connect and connect to people, And that was a really big thing I took away from that.
Speaker 1: I thought you were very humble in your reaction last night, But I also thought Eilish was quite amazing in her humble reaction and acknowledging you are you shocked at how some of these young people that you've been competing against have had to grow up throughout this idle process.
Speaker 3: Look, they've been amazing, Like Eilish is a great girl, and she's like a little sister to me. We've really come close to the show which is awesome, and I suppose all the contestants we have there's been no cadinginess of between us for all of them. Mates and the young ones have done an amazing job of you know, like Giselle's sixteen, Eilish seventeen, Marshall nineteen incredible, all young also talented, have a head screwed and really well and you can see that. You can see that they come from great families and they're great musicians, and really it really shows.
Speaker 1: Being the oldest and a father. Do you think that you parented a lot of them along the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think we really looked at the age of the factor between all of us. We're all kind of just mates hanging out. I think a few times that they might have come to advice and a few questions, but I I'm solicit this anyway. So I think we're all going to just really together and we're role in this crazy boat ride together. Because none of us had done this before together. So you know, I've done music for my whole life and I haven't done a TV show before, so it was all new to all of it.
Speaker 1: Do you want to do more TV or has this kind of put you off.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't they put me off.
Speaker 3: But I'm happy to be pushing my own, my own career for the future going forward, I think I have a break from reality TV for a while.
Speaker 1: That's a feere Well tweety. When I was talking to him the other day, I was asking him for some of his favorite moments of work on this season, and he mentioned going to a concert with you. Did you enjoy doing that kind of stuff where you were I guess using your celebrity to be able to go and see that kind of stuff hang out with people like Scott tweeting, Yeah, O was the spinout.
Speaker 3: Actually that was quite a cool night. I just got a call and I was hanging out with Dylan right and I said, get some clothes on your head. Then to see Christapleton, and I was like wow. Also, Scott tweeted, I said, how good that.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 3: So it looks a really cool night hanging out to score he got the corporate box, watched Chris Stapleton, one of my favorite artists of all time, and I think it was some cool fellas and have a beer and watch it was. It was actually a pretty special event and something that would never happen if I can get to go on Australia Idol.
Speaker 1: Well, he just said he just kept looking at your face and watching you sort of absorbing at all and he was like, that's that was the highlight. So good to watch someone who is a musician, you know, just being so enamored and absorbed into a moment like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's it, like in one of those things like you said earlier, like the connection, and that's an artist that you can really connect to and watch. And you can see with Chris Stapleton and his live performances in the shows, he doesn't have to overperform or overdo anything. He just stands there, him and his wife and his band and he sings He's sign and he doesn't perfectly and people can really connect it that way. And it's a testament.
Speaker 2: To that guy.
Speaker 1: Who is the most famous person that you've met along the way throughout this idle journey or has followed you on social media.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've had a.
Speaker 3: Bunch of cool ones come through, which is cool. You like women Evans followed me and sent me a couple of months messages, which was really cool. Obviously, Scotty and Ricky and the crew from there But my one I was actually most excited about was Greg the Yellow Wiggle, the original Wiggle.
Speaker 2: I said, I was a big fan of yours growing up. Mate, that is so cool.
Speaker 3: He followed me and sent me a message saying that he's enjoying what I was doing, which is really cool.
Speaker 2: I was actually chucked.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that is actually amazing. It's so weird when people that you grew up with watching on TV and then talking to you about your experience. It's just such a spin.
Speaker 2: Out, massive sit out. Massive.
Speaker 1: What about your wife? I thought she was so well spoken and played along so well, what's her reaction at the stage.
Speaker 3: She's amazing. She is my rock and I could have not done this without her. She's been down here and really you're listening to all time living in an apartment with almost toddler and I don't know a hash hit of sanity. But she's managed to do it. And you know, coming home to her and Edie each night is a really big part why I could get through it. A otherwise I wouldn't have survived, to be honest, Oh no.
Speaker 1: I just thought she was so well spoken, you know, whenever they handed her the mica as I was going to say your partner or I certainly my partner doesn't want to do that because you know, so it's a hard thing to be handed a microphone and have to sort of talk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she actually did a little bit nervous those things. But she's a great speaker and of those kinds of things. And she was a school teacher, so I think she used to standing in front of a bunch of people are telling them, tell them things. So maybe a bit of experience there, I guess.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Kyle said that the song that he sung last night was one of his favorite songs. Were you surprised by how much the judges embraced your contribution to the show?
Speaker 3: No, I think I'm surprised. I'm just grateful, and I think it's a word that gets We've been thrown around a lot, but it's nice that they do appreciate that we're there in us contestants, and by the end they all love and all of us and had nice kind words, and it.
Speaker 2: Was it was really good.
Speaker 1: If you're going to release music, what was the song that you sung in the competition that sounds like the sort of music you were going to release When you are pumping out your music. Is there a song that we sang through the competition that that sounds like what you want to do?
Speaker 3: It's a hard one, right because I didn't really get to be in my lane the whole time on the show. I had to kind of step out of my box and sing songs that aren't country songs.
Speaker 2: But if I did, I would look, I would say, let's.
Speaker 3: Go a mix between kind of that stand alone first part with a bit of Dayjern looks a little bit of thinking Outland and all I kind of mind, you know.
Speaker 5: I'm thinking about best ways. Maybe it's such a pan.
Speaker 1: You sing.
Speaker 5: I just want to to you.
Speaker 1: There's just so many songs like I Reckon. You could just release that album and that would go to number one. I've really enjoyed you on the show. I can't say that enough. Like I honestly thought you were so fantastic. So thank you so much for being so generous and chatting with me today, and good luck with this journey. You know, like a lot of Australians, you know I'm in your audience.
Speaker 3: No, I appreciate that, mate, and anyone susten definitely do keep up with me. I'm going to release an EP this year, I'm going.
Speaker 2: To be on the road.
Speaker 3: I've got some big goals, certain a big fire in the belly to keep this going. So keep an eye for Jake Whittaker.
Speaker 1: What's your Instagram handle? We should throw that in there right now, just so people know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Whittker, that's it.
Speaker 1: There you go amazing. Well, have fun chatting with the media, enjoy this process. I look forward to seeing your contribution in the finale that's coming up this Sunday. And yeah, good luck.
Speaker 3: With it, mate, Thank you mate, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nowhere is at all. Take care. Now it's time for us to hear from Jamon, who I think was feeling a little overwhelmed and understandably quite tired after the elimination episode. Let's dive into his side of his IDOL journey. Hey here you go, mate, I'm all good. I'm just wondering how much sleep you've been able to have since last night? Do they do they manage to get you to bed somehow?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Yeah, he went, had a little elevatory drinks of the RSL and then yeah I went to bed. It's been a big in big journey, massive days and definitely exhausted, but definitely had some sleep.
Speaker 1: People don't realize that the show is filmed at Rudy Hill, which, by the way, is one of the weirdest names for an RSL slash pub slash restaurant, but less it's an all in one venue, so they can take you downstairs to Rudy Hill. People listening to this podcast right now are probably going to think that I'm being crass, but that's genuinely the name of the place that the show is made.
Speaker 10: That's is definitely right, mate, Rudy Hill is out here, and yeah, this has been my.
Speaker 1: Home for the last two months, so it kind of looks like something that you would see in Rockhampton, though, don't you think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not wrong, it's the beautiful pub.
Speaker 1: I've spent a lot of time in Central Queensland. I did breakfast Radio there for three years and so I'm very familiar with your home ground. It was very exciting for me to be I've now lived back at home in Melbourne, but then to see how much Central Queensland got behind you, I thought that was really beautiful. That's kind of the culture of the.
Speaker 3: Place, that's right, mate.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm very lucky, very lucky to come from Rockhampton and have such a bit of communing.
Speaker 1: Behold me, have they already got your booked into doing like club appearances and like some of those rocky pubs.
Speaker 3: Not so much rocky pubs at the moment. I haven't really been taking bookings or just because you know, I didn't know the outcome of the show. Didn't want to let anyone down when it came to you know what I mean, And I being that person when you have to let someone down, say you can't do that gig or.
Speaker 10: So I just decided not to really book anything and just to wait to see the outcome of the show. And yeah, I'm already into booking stuff now already.
Speaker 1: So how quickly do you get to go home? Do you get to go home today or do they keep you around in Sydney? Like what does the schedule look like?
Speaker 3: So the week coming is the grand finale week, so we're just staying the whole time. I'd love to quickly pop home and say today, but there's no real point. I've got to snap back in the gear in the next two days anyway, so it's not really not really home yet, so I won't kick in until obviously I'm at Home, but I've still got stuff to.
Speaker 1: Do, Mike Alan, Home was epic and I think, you know, if you're going to have a TV moment on one of these shows, that was certainly that for you. People are going to be talking about that for a long time. That song couldn't have saved you with an emotional backstory to it. I don't know if there was any other song that would have been able to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mate, it was such a special one. Very very honored to perform as that song, and.
Speaker 10: You know, get a take to home because you know, they've been behind me and by my side throughout this whole journey and my whole life as well. Obviously it was the most special moment in my life, I can confidently say, and I hope that it is remembered for that reason and for the reasons, and yeah, I'm very honored to sing it.
Speaker 2: You dedicated.
Speaker 1: I don't think anyone watching that show wasn't crying. I was like, I'm not crying, You're not crying, and like, I'm not even that much of an emotional person. I was like, Okay, got to get the tissues.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The post Malone song that you sung is one of my favorite songs, which you did last night.
Speaker 6: Because we can.
Speaker 5: Run away, who were running?
Speaker 8: Run Away?
Speaker 7: Run Away?
Speaker 1: But I know from singing that song in my car that there is a lot of key changes that happened in that song. What was it like in the moment trying to get that song out, because if you are emotional or if you are slightly out of breath, that song is almost impossible to sing.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, it was tough.
Speaker 10: You know, we get given the songs in advance, so it's just about practicing and practicing them and yeah, I'm giving those lyrics in your head and have it become second nature if that makes it so. It all just depends on how hard you work and how hard you want it.
Speaker 1: Did you know that post Mylone song before they gave it to Ah?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, I knew the Postal alone song, so that was also just a I think that made it a little bit easier knowing the song. Yeah yeah, I'm a massive Postal line stand and it was such a cool finger thing on to his song.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I would do if I was on these shows is that I would put these on social media and I would actually tag the artists to see whether or not, like you know, baiting the artists to see what they say. Will you put your music out there and tag post alone and see whether or not he critiques your version of it?
Speaker 10: One thousand percent Yeah, if it ever comes to and it it's out there, I'll definitely tag him. I remember tagging James one and commenting on that and tagging him and just to see if you'll reach out again when I sung You're Beautiful a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you never know, there's no harm in trying.
Speaker 1: Everyone talked about your cheeky nature through Like I have a lot of people I know a lot of people at work on the show, and they said that you kept the you were sort of the life of the party throughout the process this.
Speaker 3: You know, the least I can do is try and put a smile over in space and try and make everyone feel comfortable. It's been an awesome journey and I wouldn't change it for the world.
Speaker 1: This is how I would be. I'd be sort of second guessing the whole thing. Did you think when they put you with Gisella that that was going to be a tough person to be?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: When did they tell you who you were going to be matched up with for the Revelation.
Speaker 3: We only got told I Reckon about five minutes before I got on stage who I was performing for, So yeah, that was definitely a shock.
Speaker 10: She is an absolutely amazing bocs, an amazing performer, just at sixteen. You know, it's a credit to her, to credit to her family. I've never heard a voice like that before, and especially from sixteen year old girl. Such a special talent, and I wish i'd not to look the.
Speaker 1: Best kind of feel like the way that they matched you up, like if I mean, she's probably the favorite tween. I don't know, it's either between her and Hamburger. Do you have any idea as to who you think is going to take out this competition at this point?
Speaker 3: No idea. Mate awesome in their own individual way, And yeah, I literally couldn't pick it.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 3: I feel honored to be a part of such a such an awesome, awesome series.
Speaker 1: Well, one of the questions I'm asking everyone this morning is you know what their favorite song was to sing? Because I want to know what sort of an artist do you want to sound like when this whole competition settles down. Did you have a song that sort of sums up who you're going to be when you start releasing your own music.
Speaker 10: To be honest, I think the last two were probably the closest representation of what I want to be as an artist. You know, My Own Home has that emotional, lyrical kind of feel to it that I kind of aim for, and what I the songs are kind of wrote.
Speaker 6: Reality across as this and that a close now to very remersy.
Speaker 10: Man, you know, really really touching on emotions and being able to hit a feeling and being able to connect through that is what I'd want to be like. And you know, I want to be like an R and B kind of poppy artist as well, So you know that post alone kind of song was kind of close to that as well.
Speaker 3: You know, he's a pop artist.
Speaker 10: Rapper and now our country singer, so I'm from the country, so yeah, that's kind of where where I'm aming. So it's a good way to end and represent myself that way.
Speaker 1: I think that's always the strongest connection is if you can utilize what is relevant to you, all of that will shine through because that's authentically who you are, and I think that's authentically what's shone through throughout the season for you. I genuinely think that there's a huge audience out there that's going to support you throughout all of this. I guess before you go, i'd love to know what was the reaction like after your elimination, What was the audience reaction, Like.
Speaker 2: You know, it's hard.
Speaker 10: It's hard when you know we've come so far in this journey, so it's kind of like unlucky that congratulations at the same time, it's a it's a it's a mix between between that and I guess that's the best way to put it. You know, so lucky to make it this far, but you know it is unlucky that you get to the Grand Final. You know, we're not here to win, here just to knuck around, Like I was definitely here to win and do my best and you get as far as I could. That's just not the case. And whatever happens happens, and whatever will be will be, And that's just how it turned out.
Speaker 3: And I'm very honored and very grateful that I even got this far. Though. Yeah, everyone's words were just kind of along those lines.
Speaker 1: What about teasing us with anything from the finale? Do you know anything at this stage.
Speaker 3: I know nothing, mate, I wish, I wish I did. Sometimes people around the around the camp here are always you know, bit a gossip, bit of this and trying to guess it and trying to but you never actually know. And it's probably a good thing to be honest that I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's going to need to get some sleep today before probably all settle sales in before you go out it correct everyone I speak to before for doing this podcast, I asked them as a behind the scenes secret, can you give me a behind the scenes secret about what it's like to be a contestant on Australian Idol.
Speaker 10: Behind things, I like to say, the group song, there's people that help us out and direct us around and create that staging for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well maybe another secret would be what sort of interaction do you get to have with the judges after the show? Do you get much time with them?
Speaker 10: Oh, that's a good one.
Speaker 3: Not really, mate. We kind of see them, you know, after the show finishes, and you know, they're very busy people as well, so the fact that they even come up to us and have a yard and it's awesome, But no, we don't really get to see them much.
Speaker 1: Of Cara, will you take any advice to heart from any the three of them? Like, is there anything that you've taken from what they've given you throughout the competition.
Speaker 3: I think I'm.
Speaker 10: Saying to me that, you know, they think I'm a good human. I think that's really important to me. And that's specially you know, you can be as an artist who as a business person or supports person, whatever it is. But I think you know, if you're a good human, it goes a long way. So I think they're kind words and saying that you keep being that person. I think that's something I can take away from this journey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, the best thing I can always say is just be true to yourself. You know, you know, you don't have to try and be correct the most outrageous person, the most extroverted person, if you are slightly introverted, be that. You know, people will gravitate towards you being genuinely yourself. And I think you already know that, like you're When I watched you in this show, I thought, this kid is the world's beyond what I would have been at your age. So yeah, look well done, and congratulations on making it so far in the competition.
Speaker 10: Thank you so much, Ane, I appreciate thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Amazing look after yourself. I'll chat to you soon.
Speaker 2: Kids.
Speaker 3: Thank you all the be