Speaker 1: Quest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian o'connells Show podcast.
Speaker 3: Let's get into this week's Letter of the eighties.
Speaker 4: Today's letter is Bletter Christian O'Connell's The eight Jack.
Speaker 3: Post a millennial, not a child of the eighties, So each week I've been giving him a movie to do with the letter of the week. This week, what a movie, What a tree for Jackie Boy. It was from nineteen eighty one Escape to Victory known in America's Victory. They dropped the Escape to set in the Second World War Germany. The Nazis want to play the prisoners of war and in the Prison of War camp is a kind of who's who of international football. There happens to be Michael Kay, Sylvester Salone. We'll get into that in a minute, Okay. Bobby Moore, Sir Bobby Moore, who was the captain of the England football team that won the World Cup the only time, probably the only time we will ever win the World Up in nineteen sixty six, a hero and the world's greatest player, one of the megastars in Sportland at the time.
Speaker 1: Heele as well. It's like a who's who, it's.
Speaker 4: A great idea and you never really seen it again. Let's get all these international superstars of sport.
Speaker 1: To act in said it in the Second World War.
Speaker 3: Play a game against Hollywood's favorite baddies.
Speaker 1: Of all time, the Nazis. What's at stake freedom?
Speaker 3: Not only is it a football match, they also have a plan to escape from the Germans.
Speaker 1: So there's a lot going on. Just listen to the trailer.
Speaker 3: Is this gets me excited when my dad took me to see this in nineteen eighty one.
Speaker 2: In nineteen forty two, and just.
Speaker 1: This the music as well bursts on the scene.
Speaker 2: In nineteen forty two, the Nazis thought they were sitting on top of the world, never suspecting that they could be toppled in one conflict.
Speaker 1: In an unusual battle of the.
Speaker 2: War, it has been decided that a German national team will play a combined team from the prisoners of war or the occupied territories. That's crazy, a stacked game, the third Reich's finest against a ragged bunch of prisoners of war. The Germans thought they hadn't made They couldn't.
Speaker 3: Run about for ninety minutes. They'll be checking their guts up.
Speaker 2: Victory starring Sylvester Stallone, Michael Keye, Max Vancido and introducing Pele. Would you like to play football against the Germans?
Speaker 1: Why not? What? What a trainer? What a trailer? Also? What a team playing for?
Speaker 3: As the Baddies, they should have been called Baddie FC, Third Reich's Finest?
Speaker 1: Who are you playing for? The moment? I'm playing for Third Reich FC? Face him up front, face him at the back. Terrifying manager.
Speaker 3: You don't want to get in the big boss upstairs angry, trust me, you think he's angry all the time.
Speaker 1: When you lose. This guy really starts with the old Snarlian.
Speaker 4: My main takeaway from the film was they could have made the Nazis way more.
Speaker 1: Anything the friendliest as to them. I mean, I don't know it.
Speaker 3: It's an American movie, so it's a very American version of what life must have been like in a Second World War prisoner of war camp. The senior British officers that they've captured are allowed their own very luxurious offices where they have filing cabinets. There's a gardener, there's a there's a man on his sneeze at one point doing a herb garden there's an officer wandering around smoking a pipe, so was there a tuck shop there? Where was he getting the tobacco from? It's an incredible movie, this genuine Did you enjoy it?
Speaker 4: I loved it, honestly loved it. The sports aspect. If you if you love a good sports film, go and watch it. If you want a gritty World War two like what was.
Speaker 1: It really like?
Speaker 4: Don't watch as the war, don't watch this because the English for the most part, had their feed up on the tables, were whistling around the prisoner yard. They were having a great.
Speaker 3: Running, running four leagues, running a four league football division, which is so much work. There's the in the first sort of six minutes of the movie. Sylvester Stallone isn't needed in this movie?
Speaker 4: Well, I loved him.
Speaker 3: How can you love his character as a midgic goalkeeper when the first time you see him in the goals it looks like a kid's having a knock around. He's tiny, He's the smallest man in the whole movie, and he's in net.
Speaker 1: He's the goalkeeper.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he needs to be there because he's like.
Speaker 3: You watching a footy movie and the Americans having as Max Gorn a ruckman, are very Tom Cruise playing Max Gorn.
Speaker 4: That's what made it so because it makes the English a worse team because they've got this American guy in goals and he's never played soccer before. He doesn't even know where to stand when they get a corner kick. But does he save the day? We'll find out if you watch the film.
Speaker 3: Apparently stallone right, because he'd just come off the back of Rocky too, so he's a really big start. Was a nightmare on set.
Speaker 1: He insisted that they change the script and he's score a goal, and.
Speaker 3: All the actual footballers like goalie, Yeah, like Pele went.
Speaker 1: You're a goalie.
Speaker 3: Even the world's greatest goalie, which are not because you're tiny, wouldn't get a goal against the Germans. There's some of the best players ever in the world. Goalkeepers don't go up front and score the winning goal. So they had to that's what he saves, and that the penalty at the end. They had to give him that.
Speaker 4: They gave him the hero moment. But it would have been great if he saved it and then dribbled across eleven players and scored a goals.
Speaker 3: There a single line here sort of Stallone's first line in the first five minutes.
Speaker 2: Lisia can have my board back, one of.
Speaker 3: The greatest lines ever, and he says to the German visiting their prison of.
Speaker 2: War camp, Lisa can have my boar back.
Speaker 1: What did you make of Michael Kaine?
Speaker 4: Liked him and I traditionally don't like Michael Kane because I told you about that interview I saw where he was obnoxious.
Speaker 1: He's a great actor in this.
Speaker 4: I loved Colby.
Speaker 3: This is Michael Caine meeting the German commander for the first time, where they sort of they're sort of testing each other out.
Speaker 1: You are the spotsvior double meaning of the word feurer. There, you are the sports viewer. You are the spotvich. I'm Colby.
Speaker 2: Colby was very familiar. It's a common name.
Speaker 1: Very enthusiastic, No.
Speaker 4: Bloody good, but very enthusiastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you play Mattress. Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: We have a league, four divisions for division.
Speaker 2: We even't played internationals internationals England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales.
Speaker 1: You call that international would be international.
Speaker 2: If you played against Germany, we'd murder you.
Speaker 1: The most.
Speaker 3: He's a prisoner of war in the ugliest war, you know, millions have been killed and they're lying to each other. Oh, don't get me started on that Colby and then this German okay, who works for the Nazi Party.
Speaker 2: Colby John Colby, Western and England.
Speaker 1: There's no Wikipedia.
Speaker 3: He's suddenly recognizing that he's such a mega football fan.
Speaker 1: Will come back then to Escape the Victory? To do with the letter V of the eighties The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 3: Jack's Honework wants to watch nineteen eighty one eighties movie to a Letter V Escape to Victory, set in the Second World War.
Speaker 1: Who's Who Are Football?
Speaker 3: Pelais also starring Michael Kaine Sylvester Stallone. It's a great movie. If you're looking for someone to watch this weekend, it will make you smile. It's enough of a good movie where you want to see how it all plays out in the end. Twenty minutes of the actual football games done really well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you struck gold with this recommendation and I did love it. But can I give you my top three believable moments of the movie. Number one is so they're in a prisoner of war camp. The Nazis from every other war movie we've seen would totally get them in trouble for anything any wrongdoing. Sylvesti salone escapes the prisoner of war camp and comes back. He gets like a slap on the wrist, and the Germans are essentially going like you naughty boy.
Speaker 1: This guy.
Speaker 4: While he's away, the rest of the troop makes a Sylvester Stallone Latex dummy.
Speaker 1: Early Madam two sorts, which.
Speaker 4: They carry around and convince of the Germans that that's.
Speaker 3: Health were the Germans were they gonna go, that's a paper mache head.
Speaker 4: And then not only that, do they get away for days on end with this paper mache sylvesterter Lione that fools the Germans When they find out that it's a paper mache doll, you would think, all right, well, the whole team's dead. You're gonna get in big trouble for this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've read the history books. We know how this ended.
Speaker 4: You're gonna get in trouble. They do. They just laugh like it's a prank.
Speaker 2: Like this.
Speaker 1: All the time.
Speaker 3: You never know what they're up to be escaped. It's like a hidden camera show. Pranks galore in this camp Number two.
Speaker 4: These are two to do with the final game. Michael Caine obviously not a great footballer because.
Speaker 3: It's not a footballer, you know, it's all the cutaways. All he does is that you don't see him running.
Speaker 4: You never see him really play.
Speaker 3: For me, someone that actually played in the game. There's quite a few English footballers, not really well known ones that's still on there to to to make it look realistic.
Speaker 4: And they did. They made it look like a great, proper game.
Speaker 1: Plea.
Speaker 3: You've got amazing Argentinian soccer play. Used to play for Spurs as well, Ossie Ardeliz. There's loads of great players, Bobby Moore and they've got a couple of Michael Kaine right, had a problem apparently with his legs and so you don't see him running. Another English footballer, Kevin Beatty, Right, his legs were used for Michael Kain's legs.
Speaker 4: You never see Michael Kane do anything on the ground. They don't even.
Speaker 3: He's just pointing a lot. He doesn't move during the game. His legs are played by Kevin Beatty. What a great fact for the English rule Kevin Beatty that his legs were Michael Kaine's legs in the movie.
Speaker 4: And finally at halftime, the team the English team has a chance to escape the Germans because they're playing.
Speaker 3: And this is why they took the game, really was so they could escape.
Speaker 4: They had this big plan escape with the French.
Speaker 1: The French.
Speaker 4: French were going to tunnel into the stadium, into the locker rooms of the visiting team and they would all exit. They go into halftime for one down, and they're about to exit through this tunnel that some French guys have dug all night. And then as they're getting down into the or, one of the guys goes, wait, I think we can still win this, And then they ken looks around and sayes, do we think we can still win this? Yea, we do. So they give up their freedom, their prisoner's a war.
Speaker 3: They must know, they must know that only death will await them, and they decide to go back for the second half. And also I remember watching it the first times, are going why didn't they have this conversation already, like we are leaving, don't kimm it. I don't care whether it's a draw, it's.
Speaker 1: Four all, or we're only one behind.
Speaker 3: It's just football. Yeah, I don't want to die in a prisoner of war. I want to see my family. Actually, to know what now, Let's go on, come on, it's football, let's get back out there.
Speaker 1: It beat the Germans.
Speaker 4: It would look bad if we didn'tmanship.
Speaker 3: Actually looks rude to the Germans. They've hosted this, let's do that. Final mark s out of ten for Escape to Victory A great film, fantastic look.
Speaker 1: Christian Connell Show Podcast